Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/29/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 28 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 198

Today's Topics:

      [*] DialogFilter.hqx
      [*] program posting: SitReport 2
      [*] StartMessages from server
      [*] White Knight 11.10 Update
      [*] White Knight Developer's Toolkit
      Accelerators for the Classic.
      Classic Bootup Ram Disk: A Diskless Workstation?
      Favourite Colour Inits/Programs...
      Hard Drive mounting w/ version 6.05
      Hiding locked files
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #196 (2 msgs)
      Jasmine woes
      LaserWriter 6.0.1 Default Dialog Boxes
      Mac II Trouble
      MultiXfer 0.6
      PPL Monitor Woes
      Ricoh Removable Hard Disk
      RoboWar
      SyQuest Price Revision
      System 6.0.7 Sound Manager Problem Resolution
      Uploading Aldus Persuasion 2.0 files to a VAX

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 13:41:22 +0100
From: Roland.Mansson@ldc.lu.se
Subject: [*] DialogFilter.hqx

DialogFilter is a Control Panel device (cdev) that gives keyboard
shortcuts and other enhancements in most modal dialogs and alerts.

Requires the 128K ROM and System 3.2 or later.

Documentation included (in MacWrite 5 format).

ShareWare $8.

Written by Roland M}nsson.
Copyright 1990 SiC! Development HB, Sweden. All Rights Reserved.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/dialog-filter.hqx; 63K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun Oct 14 09:43:05 1990
From: microsoft!svenax@uunet.uu.net
Subject: [*] program posting: SitReport 2

Version 2 of SitReport - a utility to examine the contents
of StuffIt archives.

New features:
o  Supports arbitrarily large reports.
o  Supports multiple documents.
o  Handles printing.
o  Supports StuffIt Deluxe archives.

Have fun.

Sven Axelsson		uunet!microsoft!svenax

[Archived as /info-mac/util/sit-report-2.hqx; 66K]

------------------------------

Date: 15 OCT 90 11:56:58
From: DERIDDER%SARA.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] StartMessages from server

Attached is a Stuffit file (Password just return) of StartMessage.
StartMessages is an INIT which gives a spoken and a visible message from
a server volume.
StartMessages is the succesor of StrtScrn.
If no message-files are present on the server the init does nothing.

Kees de Ridder,
Free University Chemical Dept.,
de Boelelaan 1083,
1081 HV Amsterdam.
the Netherlands.
bitnet: deRidder@Sara.nl

[Archived as /info-mac/init/start-message.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 8:28:42 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] White Knight 11.10 Update

Here is the update file to change White Knight 11.08 to 11.10.

Apparently ther was a printing bug in 11.09 and it was pulled
>From distribution.  This file will correct the bug. Requires the
PUP decrypter application to install.

This upgrade is not a major revision.  The most important addition is
the capability to use Stuffit Deluxe within WhiteKnight.  Most of the
other changes are bug fixes.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-1110-updater.hqx; 305K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 8:25:22 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] White Knight Developer's Toolkit

Here is the White Knight Developer's Toolkit.  It explains how
to write RCMDs for White Knight and well as modem drivers and
shell procedures.

ken

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-dev-toolkit.hqx; 106K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 10:52:58 GMT
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Accelerators for the Classic.

I have heard rumours that there is the possiblity of making a card to plug
 directly into the processor. As is done with current cards for the Mac Plus.
 Are there any Manufacturers out there doing this?.
i would certainly be interested in a 68030 card for my Mac Classic if it wasn't
 too expensive. Some of the Gemini 68030 cards make a Mac SE twice the speed of
 an SE 30! If this speed increase could be obtained on a Classic then it would
 be a better p

*<   Peter J Hardman.               Network Manager.       >*
*>   Phone (UK)061-275-4640       Chemistry Department.    <*
*<   Fax   (UK)061-275-4958      Manchester University.    >*
*>   EMail hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa  Oxford Rd. Manchester M13 9PL <*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 20:54:54 GMT
From: Andrew <AJM19@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk>
Subject: Classic Bootup Ram Disk: A Diskless Workstation?

Netters,

In a previous digest, it was mentioned that holding down cmd-opt-X-O
(O being the letter, not the digit) on startup would reveal a
Ram disk built into the Classis's operating system. At the time it was suggested
that the hard disk had to be made unbootable (by removing Finder from
the system folder) for this to work. I've been experimenting, and it
seems that this is not necessary. Simply holding down those keys
at startup until your INITs start appearing will result in the
boot disk being mounted. The exciting bit is that this disk can be set
to always appear by choosing it with 'Startup Device' in the Control
Panel. This even survives turning the machine off. I suspect that
it is no accident that the boot disk contains Appleshare software...
the possibilities for diskless networked machines have arrived!

Andrew Mason                 <AJM19@uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix>
Darwin College               <AJM19%uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss>
Cambridge
U.K.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Macintoshes for MacZimum Computing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 03:47:57 GMT
From: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart)
Subject: Favourite Colour Inits/Programs...
I am about to be blasted into the world of colour computing, and am looking
for help. What are the favourite (PD and non-PD) programs that people have
been using over whatever amount of space and time that use the colour
capabilities of the Mac to their fullest? Why?

In other words, I have colour. Now, what new toys can I get? :)

			Thanx all...cheers!  Ace

--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 17:59:38 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Hard Drive mounting w/ version 6.05

I've recently have had mounting problems w/ 3 seperate hard drives, all running
 system 6.05. If I try to start up, the HDs do not boot, but if I restart
with a floppy system disk, the HD still does not mount, but it mounts if I
restart from the floppy -the HD boots alone. Has anyone else had this prob-
lem? Could it be a 6.05 related bug. Should I simply redo the HDs' drivers?
I know this will solve the problem, at least temporarily, but I'm curious if
anyone else has had experience w/ this.
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 17:02:28 est
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: Hiding locked files

   Our school district is running MacJanet labs, and there are certain files
   that should be locked permanently.  Some brilliant kids, however, have
   figured out the 'get info' boxes and unlocked these files.

   Is there any way - with ResEdit perhaps - to diplay the 'get info' box
   outside of the screen boundaries so that this could be accomplished?
   It'll take them much longer to figure out a way around this fix.

What I would suggest would be to use ResEdit, DiskTop, or a similar
utility to set the 'Bozo' bit.  It's not much, and probably won't
accomplish much, but it's more dificult to change than the 'locked'
bit.  Alternatives are to put the files on a locked file server or
partition.

---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "Licensed
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   to
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |     Program"
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 12:26:11 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #196

Can someone discuss the possibilities for use of 4-mb simms? Can they be
used to increase the capacity of a SE above 4 or a IIcx above 8?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 15:55:20 EST
From: Len <ENGLISH@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>

Yo, MacFolk:

    A common question (I guess) for which I'd appreciate answers or
directions on where to find same:  we've a venerable Mac 512-E and we
want to boost its memory to about 3 megs.  I've heard that the only way
to do this is via a logic-board swap.  This true?  Where does one find
these things cheap?  How cheap?  Is there another way?  (or: where should
I find answers to these old questions?)
    Thanks for your help.

                                                ...Len Hatfield
                                                   Virginia Tech

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 90 21:00:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Jasmine woes

I got dem ol' Jasmine blues again.....
*************  FLAME ON !!  ***************************
I was having trouble with my Jasmine DD20 from May to July this year.  Went
through at least 12 reformats of the drive and full recovery from backup.
Finally got a hold of Jasmine and sent the drive in to them for repair on
August 13th, 1990. (at my expense, of course))
*************  FLAME ON !!  ***************************
They had the drive until October 7th, 1990 !!!  Diagnosis was faulty
controller.
*************  FLAME ON !!  ***************************
Now, six weeks later, the drive is doing it AGAIN!.  I lost all files
>From my System Folder beginning with the letters I thru Z (no cdevs loaded,
no inits, no nothing..) but yet the hard drive still booted.  Since this
is identical to the previous symptoms, I knew that if I didn't correct the
situation it was only a matter of time before the disk completely failed.
*************  FLAME ON !!  ***************************
Repeated attempts to contact Jasmine repair have resulted in a connection to
a receptionist, a transfer to somewhere, followed by incessant ringing of the
telephone (while the long distance charges accumulate) with NOBODY answering
the phone!!  I realized that it was up to me to attempt a repair.

Therefore, I booted from a floppy, and tried to trash the System folder
>From the desktop.  Now, all the files are trashed, the folder appears to
be empty, but I cannot get rid of it... dialog box:  "The trash could not
be emptied because a folder/file was not empty or busy" (paraphrased).

Anyone have an idea how to get around this?  I named the folder "Garbage" and
was successful in restoring a new System folder to the hard drive, and
everything seems to be working correctly now.  I just can't get rid of the
folder "Garbage"(and nobody likes garbage on their desktop).

*************  FINAL FLAME ON !!  ***************************
With the amount of money I now have tied up in the drive, shipping costs (I
had to pay BOTH directions for repair work) and productivity lost, I could
easily have a 45-60 Mbyte drive connected to my MacPlus.  Instead, I have a
P.O.S. (piece of slime) drive that is not dependable and I am dealing with
a company that:
	1) Manufactures lousy products
	2) cares little about their existing customer base
	3) provides little or no technical support
	4) has financial woes up the ying yang (no wonder!)
	5) repairs their drives with bubble gum and bailing wire
	6) uses nearsighted apes for quality control inspectors
	7) thinks a testing procedure consists of a series of questions
	   pertaining to the aesthetic appearance of the drive shell
	8) overprices their products and had no sense of market forces

and on and on.....
| Dr. Francis J.  Van Wetering,   Assistant Professor                      |
| Management Information Systems       VOICE:   (402) 554-2814             |
| College of Business Administration   BITNET:   fjvanwet@unoma1           |
| University of Nebraska at Omaha      INTERNET: fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu |
| * Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above letter represent       |
|               personal viewpoints and in no way reflect or represent the |
|               opinions of the University of Nebraska at Omaha or the     |
|	  	University of Nebraska system                              |
|__________________________________________________________________________|

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 15:31:38 PST
From: John Clark <clark@rand.org>
Subject: LaserWriter 6.0.1 Default Dialog Boxes

In Info-Mac Digest v.8, #196, 11/26/90, Mike Brown (mbrown@um.cc.umich.edu)
seeks a patch to LaserWriter 6.0.1 so that "Black & White" instead of
"Color/Grayscale" comes up as the default setting in the "Print..."
dialog box.

I don't recall where I got the following patch, but I tried it, and it
seems to work fine on LW 6.0.1 (notwithstanding David Ramsey's statement
in a recent _MacWeek_ that it couldn't be done).  It is an unsupported
modification of System Software, so all standard precautions, limitations,
exclusions, disclaimers, &c, apply...

THE PATCH:

    1.  Procure a fresh copy of LaserWriter 6.0.1.

    2.  Use FEdit, MacTools, or any sector editor to change the hex string

	    377C 0017 0004 7801

	    377C 0018 0004 7801.

With this fix, the LaserWriter 6.0.1 dialog will default to "Black & White."
(The patch apparently works on LaserWriter 6.0 and 6.0.2 as well, but I
can't verify that.)

Thanks to the unknown explorer(s) who discovered this.

John Clark
Internet: clark@rand.org

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 90 15:33:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Mac II Trouble

I am attempting to resurrect a Mac II that has been literally sitting around
without being used for about 4 months.  The configuration:
	2 Mbyte RAM
	40 Mbyte internal hard drive
	Radius FPD
	extended keyboard
	turbo-mouse

Booting up under Finder was fine.  When I tried to set the startup on
the hard drive to Multifinder, I got the message:
   The "Finder Startup" file could not be opened (unknown error)

I next decided that the desktop needed to be rebuilt.  So I restarted the
Mac II, and held down the option-cmd keys.  I got the standard dialog box
about "this may take a while"... but a while turned into 15 minutes with still
no results, i.e. frozen machine!!  I powered down the Mac II, then tried to
start up from the hard disk.. now the dialog told me that the hard disk needed
minor repairs...  OK... another frozen machine.  After booting from floppy,
and using Disk First Aid, then rebooting, I finally got the hard drive 'fixed'
and it is working again.

PROBLEM:  I still cannot set the Startup to Multifinder (same dialog box
          appears)

Anyone out there in MacNetLand ever run into this before?

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 90 16:39 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ%sask.usask.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MultiXfer 0.6

        I am having trouble doing any type of file transfer using Martin
Dubuc's MultiXfer 0.6 comm program (ie. can't figure out how to start an
up/download).  I've read the docs and done what they say but no luck.
I know it is probably something blatantly obvious that I am doing wrong
but if someone could help me I would appreciate it.

                                Brad Sawatzky

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 20:17:52 est
From: "Dan Schwarz" <dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: PPL Monitor Woes

I just purchased a PPL MultiView II Portrait Display to go with my brand new
Mac IIsi. Once I finally got the Macintosh cable to go with it, I fired up the
computer and waited expectantly for the "happy mac" bootup sequence. No dice.
I HEARD all the right sounds, but didn't see much of anything.

Here's the scoop: The PPL display works just fine with the Mac IIci (so say
the folks at PPL.) Same monitor, same cable. I am one of the first customers
to purchase their monitor for use on a Mac IIsi, and consequently they have
no experience in working with that machine. They're actively looking into the
problem, but I think some of you may have some insights that could help us
solve it quickly.

Symptoms:

The Mac IIsi works properly with the Apple 12" monochrome display (happy-mac,
icons, mouse, everything works just fine.) When I plug in my portrait display
and turn on the computer, I heard the characteristic "happy-mac chime" and
the hard drive noises (or disk drive when I boot off the floppy.) The PPL
display is obviously getting a good video signal, because it displays the grey
background pattern that you see on a Mac monitor. When you reset the machine,
it blacks out the screen for a second then restores the grey background pattern
JUST AS IF IT WAS A SECONDARY MONITOR ON A 2-MONITOR SYSTEM. I don't get any
menu bar, icons, windows, or anything. I can't move the cursor to be visible
on the screen.

So what's the deal? Does my Mac think this is the second of two monitors,
and thus will not display the menu bar on it? How can I correct the problem?
I'm using the built in video for the IIsi, which is SUPPOSED to be exactly
the same as the IIci video (yeah...right.) Booting off a floppy does not help.
Clearing the PRAM does not help. Disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor
cable does not help. This same monitor/cable setup is said to work perfectly
on a Mac IIci.

If anyone can post the pinout for the IIci video connector, I'd much appreciate
it (pay special attention to the three pins which are used to select monitor
type, and tell me what the combinations stand for. I'll compare that to the
combinations used on the IIsi.

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 14:32:11 CST
From: Ming Yang <MYANG%TWNNTIT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ricoh Removable Hard Disk

Dear Netters,
  I am planing to buy a removable hard disk.  There are three types available
on the market : bernouli (IOmega), Syquest, and the newer Ricoh.  The former
two have been discussed on the net.  What I am interested is the Ricoh type.
There is an ad appeared on the recent issue of MacUser, and the manufacture is
GCC.  However, I beleive there must be other manufactures arround.  I like to
have your oppinions about these machines, especially the communicability with
DOS machines. (Can Mac read the hard disk formated by a DOS machine?)
Please send E-mail to me at   Myang@TWNNTIT.bitnet
Thanks in advance.

Ming Yang
Computer Committee, NTIT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 23:08:37 EST
From: harrisd@ai.mit.edu (David Harris)
Subject: RoboWar

For those of you who enjoy hacking, there's going to be a RoboWar tournament
January 16.  RoboWar is a combination of a game and programming language in
which you write robots that move about an arena and fight each other.  It is
available as shareware in the games directory as robowar.hqx.

If you are interested in more details about the competition, drop a letter to
harrisd@athena.mit.edu.  Happy hacking!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 13:42:32 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: SyQuest Price Revision

 [ PLEASE POST THIS VERSION (1:45 27-nov-90), as the previous mailing
   was in error!!!!!

   moderators: please post this in the /info-mac/report area as
               syquest-prices.txt or something similar ]

 ----------------------------

 I had posted a request regarding SyQuest drives in info-mac vol 8.196,
 and received *quite a few* (read: many) requests regarding my findings.

 Here is my list of SyQuest removables as of today (27-nov-90).  Many thanks
 go to Erik Johnson of UIUC for his original SyQuest research.

 >> If anyone wants more detailed information regarding SyQuest experiences, <<
 >> I whole-heartedly recommend that they check our Erik's report in the     <<
 >> archives (/info-mac/report/syquest-report.txt ?? )                       <<

 This information is mainly derived from MacWeek, MacWorld, and MacUser... too
 many of the prices in Computer Shopper are mechanism only, and if you don't
 mind a "roll-your-own" and hunting down SyQuest mounting INITS then that
 method might be for you...personally not for me.

 -------------------------- list starts here -------------------------

  Company           phone        SyQuest $   carts-included      cart $
   MacProducts .... 800-622-3475 .. $449 ......... 0 ........... 67 BEST BUY!
 * BottomLine ..... 900-420-3636 .. $498 ......... 0 ........... 69
   MacLand ........ 800-333-3353 .. $499 ......... 0 ........... 72
   MacDirect ...... 800-621-8461 .. $534 ......... 1 ........... 72
   TMS ............ 800-626-MEGS .. $535 ......... 1 ........... 70
   ClubMac ........ 800-club-mac .. $535 ......... 1 ........... 72
   VCP ............ 800-477-6350 .. $535 ......... 1 ........... 72
   etc ............ 800-822-2863 .. $535 ......... 1 ........... 72
   Relax .......... ............ .. $539 ......... 1 ........... 72
   Hardware Express 800-622-7123 .. $549 ......... 1 ........... 79
   Axone .......... 800-955-0388 .. $565 ......... 1 ........... 72
   APS ............ 800-233-7550 .. $569 ......... 1 ........... 72
   HardDrive Intl.. 800-776-disk .. $575 ......... 1 ........... 79
 * Mac's Place .... 800-367-4222 .. $580 ......... 0 ........... 79
   Jasmine ........ 800-347-3228 .. $599 ......... 1 ........... 72
   ThirdWave ...... 800-284-0486 .. $599 ......... 1 ........... 78
   Mirror Tech .... 800-654-5294 .. $627 ......... 1 ........... 79

 I have *NOT* included any of the Ehman/Cutting-Edge products in this
 list due to an overwhelming "un-recommendation" on the part of people
 I know with the "Ehman-experience".  I intend no slander or disrespect
 toward Ehman/Cutting-Edge, and have never used any of their products.

 ------------------------------ end ------------------------------

 The entries marked with (*) above indicate purchases of a separate mechanism
 and external case/power-supply (a "roll you own" approach).

 From what I have been able to determine, most if not all of these companies
 are using the newer SyQuest mechanism.  I have 2 friends with SyQuests: one
 has a Microtech (which isn't made anymore) and one has an APS syquest; both
 are happy with them, though I find the APS chassis to be rather tall and
 bulky, but they are reputed to have a 24..48 hour turn-around time for their
 warranties.

 Some may choose to take the approach of buying the cheapest drive that they
 can find and purchase the cartridges elsewhere.  Not a bad scheme, as I'll
 probably purchase a drive with cartridge then immediately purchase 3 more
 cartridges (we all do backups, don't we?!?).  My primary concerns with
 any drive purchase, SyQuest or otherwise (read: Quantum) are reliablity,
 speed, and warranty, as I don't want to waste time haggling with people
 over the phone.

 I hope that this helps those planning SyQuest purchases (like me!), and
 remember, "Buyer beware!"

 I have no affiliation with any of these companies.

-------------------------------------
 George F Tempel                 internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 CompuServe: 76047,70
 AmericaOnline: gftempel4

[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 16:50:59 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: System 6.0.7 Sound Manager Problem Resolution

I said some bad things about 6.0.7 and the new sound manager a few digests
back, and I am ready to apologize for them.  I am now running 6.0.7 on my FX
and SE/30 with no more problems.  I am using more INITs than I should and
things seem to be going fine.  I had problems originally with my beeps. I
converted some of my sound files to snd resources with a shareware program (I
forget the name) that did a crummy job.  I had switched to SoundMover 1.62
quite some time ago.  Apparently the old sound converter created the header
wrong in the snd resource.  The old sound manager would play these resources
correctly, but the new one won't.  I had to use SoundMover to copy the bad
sounds to another file and back so that they would be corrected.  Thanks to
Dave Platt for clueing me into this problem and procedure.

With 6.0.5 I would get crashes when multiple programs would try and make noise
simultaneously, like Hypercard, Superclock, TimeKeeper, and Finder Sounds,
which are all sort of asynchronous.  Now I do not get these problems.  In
addition, under 6.0.5 if Hypercard was in the foreground no other programs
could make any noise (the menubar blinked).  6.0.7 allows everyone to make
noise whenever they want.  I like it.  I'm happy again.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 90 17:35:00 EDT
From: "JS::GRIGSBYJ" <grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Uploading Aldus Persuasion 2.0 files to a VAX

                          E L E C T R O N I C   M A I L
                     (DDN Host Address:  V3.HANSCOM.AF.MIL)

                                        Date:      27-Nov-1990 17:34
                                        From:      Capt James H. Grigsby
                                        Username:  GRIGSBYJ
                                        Dept:      ESD/JSTE
                                        Tel No:    377-5439

TO:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU] )

CC:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[ANDREWSC@UV4.EGLIN.AF.MIL] )
CC:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[PINKNEYD@HPWADU.WAL.HP.COM] )

Hopefully, someone out there can give me a hand on this one.  Our office has
recently acquired several new Mac IIci's and we're using Persuasion to create
various slides.  We'd like to move the slide data files from the Mac's to
various locations (i.e. Washington, etc.).  One method is to upload the files
to our VAX system which has Defense Data Network connectivity and utilize the
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to move the slides (apprx 30 at 0.5 meg each) to
the destination host computer.  From there they would be downloaded by the
destination user.

PROBLEM:  In trying to use the Versaterm and SmartComm comm packages, I have
been unable to upload the files via KERMIT (we have Kermit on VAX).  Is there
some intermediate step (i.e. is some sort of file manipulation required on the
Persuasion file) prior to KERMIT upload?

Please respond directly to my e-mail account and I'll summarize the answers.
Any assistance provided in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE:  Mr. Pinkney Davis, please pass to Mr. Bagley.

                            CAPT JAMES H. GRIGSBY

Commercial: (617)377-6774    DSN 478-5439    Fax: (617)275-9631
                                                   DSN 478-5577
   Network: grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil or jhg@gw1.hanscom.af.mil

                                MAIL: ESD/JST
                                      HANSCOM AFB, MA 01731-5000