Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/30/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 29 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 199

Today's Topics:

      [*] Card99 1.0r1
      [*] Carol Stack
      [*] ClockAdjust CDEV (doc problem solved)
      [*] HeartBeat for Pyro!4.0
      [*] SignalEditor v2.00
      [*] StuffIt to Compactor Conversion Utility
      A few 7.0 questions...
      AIR
      C++_classes
      Color Stuff
      Color word processing applications
      Empty SIMM Boards
      FPU emulation for SE?
      GateWay && Mathmetica remote kernel?
      Gestalt documentation wanted
      Getting a font
      HyperCard 2.0 scrolling field slow down
      HyperUnix
      Keytronics MacPro
      Laplink/maclink
      LaserWriterII Cartridges
      Macintoshes for the humanities
      Mail Orders Companies
      Need info on Markov modeling SW.
      NSF Grant Forms in Mac Format?
      Phantom Clock on Mac IIsi?
      Railgun accelerator and Macproducts service
      Re>Jclock remover
      Request for QuicKeys updater
      SCSI disk surface analyzer program???
      Securing Laserwriters
      Two Questions...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 14:13:04 PDT
From: jch@btr.com (Jack Hwang)
Subject: [*] Card99 1.0r1

Card99 is a card game.  Shareware.  $7.

Have fun.

Jack Hwang

[Archived as /info-mac/game/card99-10.hqx; 43K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 15:14:53 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] Carol Stack

It is Christmas time again and this stack needs to be reposted.  It plays
Christmas carols.  I downloaded it a couple of years ago and have added more
control and more sound samples to play the carols with.  Included are the
songs Jingle Bells, Joy to the World, Deck the Halls, O Come, Angels We Have
Heard on High, O Little Town, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Silent Night, We
Wish You a Merry Christmas, Good King Wenceslaus, The First Noel, Hark The
Herald Angels Sing, and O Christmas Tree.  Each can be played with any of
these instruments: Bell, Dog, Fart, Fiddle, Flute, Gong, Guitar, Moan, Piano,
Pots, Power Chord, or Space.  Granted some of the sounds are questionable, but
then so is a large portion of America's population and even more so on the
net.

Share and enjoy.  May the spirit of Christmas live in you all year long.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

[Archived as /info-mac/card/carol.hqx; 259K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 10:15:22 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] ClockAdjust CDEV (doc problem solved)

   Well, I got a quick response to my query about 'scrambled' docs for the
ClockAdjust CDEV (Thanks Guys!). The problem was that the docs were
generated by MacWrite II. MS Word just can't hack the format. I'm
resubmitting the package with MS Word version of the documentation added, so
you get the ClockAdjust CDEV, MacWrite II and MS Word 3.01 format
documentation.

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/clock-adjust.hqx; 35K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 13:15:49 -0600
From: dburnham%peruvian@cs.utah.edu (Dean Burnham)
Subject: [*] HeartBeat for Pyro!4.0

  This is a Pyro! 4.0 module. If you don't own Pyro, then this bit of code is
completely useless to you. If you do own Pyro, the make sure to pick this
up - it will make your Mac look like and ECG machine.

-- Al

[Archived as /info-mac/util/pyro-heartbeat.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 18:17 EST
From: steve knight <SDK4102@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: [*] SignalEditor v2.00

    SignalEditor is a signal processing editor/analysis application.
Using either pre-recorded signals or recording directly from Farallon's
MacRecorder sound digitizer, SignalEditor is capable of editing and
analyzing the signals in both the time and frequency domains.  Signals
can be saved in a variety of file formats, all windows can be printed,
displays can be copied to the clipboard, and computational results can
be exported to 'TEXT' files.

SignalEditor is shareware and guaranteed to occupy space, after that....

Stephen Knight
2 Mae Meadow
Rochester, NY  14624

[Archived as /info-mac/app/signal-editor-20.hqx; 204K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 09:29 EST
From: Bob Beason <BEASON%GENESEO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] StuffIt to Compactor Conversion Utility

Following is a BinHexed StuffIt utility that converts
StuffIt archives to Compactor (.cpt) archives.

Bob Beason, Biology Department, SUNY@Geneseo
BEASON@GENESEO.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/util/stuffit-to-compactor.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 16:53:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "George J. Baxter" <gb2a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: A few 7.0 questions...

Ok, crew, here we go....
1) Ethernet communications do not seem to be supported on 7.0.. or is
it?  I have a Kenetics Etherport II card.. and to tell you the truth,
with the new system, I have no idea where to put the stuff.  The machine
does it for me if I ask it to (or 'OK' it...
2) We do have an apple ethernet card, which I suspect is more
supported.. updates anyone??
3)GateKeeper boots fine, but then doesn't let you do anything.. no
closing windows, no nuthin...
4) Virtual Memory.. I have a IIx, which unfortunately, has only 24bit
address ROM.. so it has a limited upward mobility for psuedo-RAM, neh?
5) speaking of which, I'm running this system off a Summis erasable
optical disk, and when I try to use VM, it happily puts up the Welcome
mat, then goes into some sort of continuous access of the disk without
ever getting anywhere.. suggestions have come in regarding possibly too
foreign a drive for this to work??  suggestions??
6) I'm going to bed.
            -gjb
-----------------------
gb2a@andrew.cmu.edu		    baxter@a.cfr.cmu.edu

baxter@imga.cfr.cmu.edu		    q100gb2a@vb.cc.cmu.edu

"Only a Hawaiian can say Humuhumunukunukuapuaa five times fast, correctly."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 1990 20:21:51 PST
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: AIR

Date    11/28/90
Subject AIR
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

Guenther Blaschek,
The Apple Internet Router is an Apple product that you should be able to
purchase driectly from your Apple dealer.
Kee Nethery

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 11:19 N
From: <ELLEAUME%FRILL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C++_classes

Does any one knows where I could find freeware or shareware C++ classes
Thanks in advance.

P. Elleaume

ELLEAUME@FRILL51.BITNET
ELLEAUME@ESRF.INRIA.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 11:41:12 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Color Stuff

> What are the favourite (PD - and Non PD) program that use the color
capabilities of the Mac to their fullest? Why?

  Hrm... That's a loaded question. I could go on for quite some time
on that one. But nevertheless I will cover the cool stuff.

System Enhancement:
(PD/SW)

SunDesk - (INIT) 8bit color icons and cursors - Very cool.
SunDeskStrip (APPL) Strips out all unneed icons (icl8s). With out this
              your SunDesk will consume loads of memory all by itself.
ColorScreen? (cdev) Full color PICT desktops
Kolor        (cdev) Colorizes menus, windows, and controls
IconColorizer (init) Replaces b/w icons with color icons
Solorian II   (APPL) Best Color Arcade game ever.
DepthGuage 2.0 (cdev) A cure for the monitors cdev.

($$$)
- ClickChange (cdev) Amazing color enhancements. Adds full color windows,
controls, dialogs, and aninamated cursors. Very nice.
- AfterDark 2.0 (cdev) Best screen saver ever! Even includes c/pascal
  interfaces for writing your own screen saver. If you get anything...
- Color SimCity (APPL) loads of fun.

Geoffrey Parsons
CS Student
WKU
AOL: CyberMac

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 17:53:27 EST
From: leslie@think.com
Subject: Color word processing applications

I'm looking for a color word processing package that separates different
parts of a document automatically according to color.  MS Word doesn't do
this.

Also, when I print from MS Word after having applied color manually
to sections of the document, the typeface in the colored areas comes out
fuzzy.  I would like a colored document to look normal when printed on a
black and white printer.

Thanks in advance,

Leslie

**********************************
*                                *
*  Leslie Muth                   *
*  Thinking Machines Corporation *
*  617-234-4818                  *
*  leslie@think.com              *
*  	          	         *
**********************************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 09:31:46 -0800
From: KAYLAN_AL%DPRC01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Empty SIMM Boards

Is it possible to purchase 1 Meg SIMM boards with no chips soldered on them?  I
have many 256 k SIMMs that contain a couple 1 megabit chips each that could
perhaps be removed and soldered on a new board.  I guess the boards must be
surface mount type.  If you have any source/price info, please let me know.
Please respond directly to me.  Thanks for your valuable help in advance...

Ali Kaylan
kaylan_al%dprc01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
dprc01::kaylan_al@hac2gm.dnet.hac.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 20:27:17 -0500
From: ak751@cleveland.freenet.edu (Mark Saltzman)
Subject: FPU emulation for SE?

	Is there an init which emulates a 68881/68882 in order to run programs
which require the coprocessor?  I have seen one called PseudoFP which requires
a 68020 or better.  Has anyone seen one which will work under a 68000?
thanks
-mark saltzman
ak751@cleveland.freenet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 20:25 U
From: WHLIN%TWNCTU01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: GateWay && Mathmetica remote kernel?

Dear Net,

     Is anyone knows about GATEWAY for Macintosh? We want to setup
a GATEWAY on the local net of the school. But gets no informations
.
     Does anyone has the experience of useing remote kernel of
Mathmetica? Please email to me?

     My address is: IN%"WHLIN@TWNCTU01.BITNET"

Thanks a lot.
Johnathon Kaw

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90  13:49 GMT
From: Mark Rutter <RUTTERM%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Gestalt documentation wanted

Would some kind soul please send me documentation on Gestalt (I believe
it is covered in a preliminary chapter of Inside Mac VI).

Many Thanks,    Mark
Mark Rutter                             Net   :rutterm@uk.ac.afrc.iape
AFRC IAPGR
Roslin Midlothian                       UK Tel: 031 440 2726
EH25 9PS SCOTLAND                       UK Fax: 031 440 0434

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 11:19:17 EST
From: dennisp@aic.nrl.navy.mil
Subject: Getting a font

I need a copy of the following font:  Times
in the following point sizes:  8,9,10,11,12, and 13.
Can someone, please, direct me to a source?  Thanks.
Dennis Perzanowski
Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence
Washington, D.C. 20375-5000

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 21:59 EST
From: Christian Koch <FKOCH%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard 2.0 scrolling field slow down

When I create a scrolling field with HyperCard 2.0, the speed with which typed
text is processed by HC slows way down from what it is if the field is not made
to scroll -- one types far ahead of the echo.  When using an SE (without
Multifinder), typing any but the shortest text entries becomes a major pain,
almost to the point of finding HyperCard 2.0 useless for significant text work.
The speed of scrolling text entry does NOT slow down like this with HyperCard
1.2.2 (the latest version I have in the 1 series).

Does anyone know if there is some way to avoid this slow down with HC2.0 when
using an SE? Could this be a bug in 2.0, or, perhaps, in my copy of 2.0?  It's
difficult to believe that Apple would settle for such an obvious performance
problem. If this is the way it's going to be, HC2.0 can really only be a
practical system on 68020 machines and above.

Chris Koch
Oberlin College
Computer Science
Bitnet: fkoch@oberlin
Internet: fkoch@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 14:11:32 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: HyperUnix

	Has anyone out there used HyperUnix (ssyx.ucsc.edu) with much luck.
	Mine locks up on me right after I log in. There is a great potential
	for a HyperCard Unix interface at my organization. I just can't get
	this version to work...

						tkelley@hel4.brl.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 13:03:41 PST
From: "dan jatnieks" <danj@stlvm2.iinus1.ibm.com>
Subject: Keytronics MacPro

  I'm buying a Mac IIsi and am wondering whether I should get the Apple
Extended Keyboard or something else like the Keytronics MacPro.  Does
anyone have and experience or comments about the MacPro??

  Thanks in advance,

dan jatnieks                 Internet e-mail: danj@stlvm2.iinus1.ibm.com
IBM Corporation            US-mail: 5600 Cottle Road, San Jose, CA 95193
(408) 284-0673

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 11:10:14 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL%VMTECQRO.qro.itesm.mx@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Laplink/maclink

On Sat, 24 Nov 90 01:09:14 EST Murph Sewall said:
>One caveat (*REAL* IBM computers -- as distinct from the Mac and most
>clones) will format 3.5 inch DD disks as 1.4 Mbytes (HD).  The Mac won't
>read a disk with a format inconsistent with the designation (neither will
>Zeniths and most of the clones I've seen).  That phenomenon has puzzled
>the heck out of my colleagues who have IBM's in the office and clones at
>home.  I caught on right away and am used to it.  Don't let your friends
>razz you that "I thought you said your Mac would read MeSsy DOS disks!"
>the answer is it will if they are formatted properly :-)

*Flame on*
I really HATE Apple for doing this. Two conclusions can be drawn from
it: either Apple's drives are inferior to IBM's or the idea is to force
users to purchase the much more expensive high density disks.

Having used a large number of DS/DD diskettes from reputable manufacturers,
formatted at 1.44 MB, on MessyDOS bonafide IBM machines (PS/30, 50, 55,
70 and 80's) with NO problems and NO data loss, I'm not convinced of the
'data loss when formatted at higher densities' blurb from the retailers.
I really would prefer the decision to risk my information when doing this
left to ME, instead of the operating system or hardware.
*Flame off*

JMC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 13:57 CDT
From: WDPERRY@ducvax.auburn.edu
Subject: LaserWriterII Cartridges

Date: 28 Nov 90
>From: W.D. Perry <WDPERRY@AUDUCVAX.BITNET>

We have been refilling our LaserWriter Plus cartridges for a long time and
now wish to start refilling our LaserWriter II Cartridges.  I am under the
impression that originally the LaserWriter II Cartridges contained an
abrasive that destroyed the drum so that it could not be refilled.

Assuming I am correct, I would like to know if the LaserWriter II Cartridges
still contain the abrasive.  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
W.D. Perry
Department of Chemistry/Auburn University
Bitnet: WDPERRY@AUDUCVAX.BITNET
INTERNET: WDPERRY@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 07:09 EST
From: "Bill Doemel, Director of Computer Services" <DOEMELB%Wabash.Bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintoshes for the humanities

Date sent:  29-NOV-1990 06:59:05

Friends,
My friends in the humanities, specifically our Modern Languages Department,
have decided to abandon their PCs for Macintosh computers. Their review of
educational advancements in their world pointed to Macintosh and programs
like Hypercard.  I wrote to my friend David Herron at Middlebury College
who recommended that I not consider the LC but turn my attention to the SE/
30.  The IIsi might also be a possibility but it is pricey.  My
understanding from following notes in this digest is that Hypercard will
not soon support color.  If Hypercard is the dominant program, then why buy
a color mac?  I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.  If you
send to me directly, I will post replies on this list.  Thanks.
Bill Doemel                         Office: (317)-364-4311
Director of Computer Services       BitNET: DoemelB@Wabash.BITNET
Wabash College                      AppleLink: U0846
Crawfordsville, IN 47933

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 16:15:44 CST
From: hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton)
Subject: Mail Orders Companies

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I am forwarding this request, because my friend does not have access to
>internet.  Thanks!

>I am interested in buying a Macintosh Computer from a mail order place.  I
>would like to get any input on the following companies:
>MacProducts
>Texas Mac Stuff
>Bottom Line
>Advance Buisnessland
>Dr. Mac
>Mac Avenue

I've had terrible luck with MacProducts.  I ordered a non-terminated tape
drive from them last year and was promised delivery in "about a month".
3 months and several (long distance) phone calls later (they wouldn't connect
me to customer assistance if I called their toll free line) the drive arrived -
with internal terminators.  It also had the wrong style SCSI connector (I specified
a pair of 50-pins, they said "no problem" - it came with a single 25 pin.)
After returning the drive, it took two months of almost daily hounding to
get them to credit my credit card.  I'll never buy anything there again.

Dr. Mac and Mac Avenue tend to be on the expensive side.  I don't know how
their support is.

Shreve Systems (I don't have the number or address handy, but they advertise
in the back of MacUser magazine) seem pretty good.  I bought a used machine
>From them about a year ago and have been happy with them.  The only complaint
I have about Shreve is they don't ship system software with the machine, but
then again, nobody but Apple probably does, for legal reasons.

Hope these rantings help.

jon hamilton
hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 10:49:18 EST
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: Need info on Markov modeling SW.

A colleague is looking for software packages to be used on a
Macintosh II that will do Markov modeling and a tool to do VHDL design.
Any infomation will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

           Barry Kirsch
MAIL:      Naval Air Development Center
           Code 5051
           Warminster PA, 18974-5000
PHONE:     (215) 441-1886
ARPANET:   bkirsch@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 13:25:08 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NSF Grant Forms in Mac Format?

I'm tired of getting up from my Mac to go sit at a typewriter (gag!)
every time I have to fill out a NSF Grant Proposal.  Does anyone have
the NSF Grant Proposal forms in some Mac format?  (Either PICT,
MacDraw II or PageMaker 3.01 format).  If so please e-mail me a copy, and/or
send them to the Info-Mac archives so that others can also use them.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
icbal@asuacad.bitnet    or     icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 07:00:58 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Phantom Clock on Mac IIsi?

  One of the faculty members in our department just bought a
new Mac IIsi, and is complaining about the small dots that
appear at intervals along the very top of the menu.  Upon
investigating the problem I found that by reducing the
number of colors (using the Monitors CDEV) the spacing of
the dots would change and the dots would grow larger, now
clearly visible as small clocks giving the time.  Changing
the color setting to black and white made just one clock
appear at the right of the memu bar, now full size and
similar in appearance to clock produced by the SuperClock
CDEV.
  But the SuperClock CDEV was not on the Mac!  I tried killing all
the inits and still the phantom clock appears.  On startup, I
noticed that a very small "T" would appear in the upper right
corner of the screen during the startup sequence, BEFORE any
inits were loaded.
  Does anyone know where this clock is coming from (is it in
the new 512K ROMs, or in System 6.0.7?), and better yet, is
there any way to kill it, as the user plans to use the color
monitor and finds the dots distracting?  We tried reinstalling
the System and the phantom clock is still there.  Any assistance
would be appreciated.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 1990 17:20 ADT
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Railgun accelerator and Macproducts service

A while back MacProducts was getting bad press on the net for poor service
customer relations. Does anyone know whether they have cleaned up their act?

We are interested in the Railgun 030 accelerator. It looks like a great deal
for the money. Since we need four of them, the money is important. But
at this distance, we don't want to buy into a nightmare.

Someone suggested that Novy offers a comparable product for $90 more, the
Novy Quick30. Does anyone have experience with Novy? Does their board
include the faster SCSI interface? Does it require a solder or clipon
installation? Does anyone have their phone number or address?

Thanks.

Stan Armstrong
armstrong@stmarys.husky1.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 1990 20:27:48 PST
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: Re>Jclock remover

Date    11/28/90
Subject Re>Jclock remover
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

easiest way to remove the version of Jclock that has "infected" your friend's
system is to use Font/DA Mover and pull all the fonts and DAs out of the
system file.  Boot from the System installer disks and throw away the system
file on the hard disk.  Use the installer to reinstall the system and then use
font da mover to re-install the fonts and DAs that were in the original Jclock
infested system.  I know, it's low tech but it for sure works.

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 09:30:36 EST
From: Brian Boe <brian@joe.math.uga.edu>
Subject: Request for QuicKeys updater

Could someone post to the archives the QuicKeys 2.0 -> 2.01
updater referred to on p.4. of the 11/20 MacWeek?  This patcher
program fixes 19 bugs in QuicKeys 2.0, and is supposed to be
available free from on-line services.  Thanks.

Brian Boe
brian@joe.math.uga.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 10:38:18 -0800
From: mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell)
Subject: SCSI disk surface analyzer program???

I have a quantum 80 drive that has developed a few bad spots
and I need to do a surface analysis.  The program that came
with the disk tries to format the drive and dies when it
hits the first bad spot.  So, there are programs for the IBM PC
world which specialize in doing surface analysis and bad-block
sparing - is there one in the MAC universe which is
particularly good???
	-Mike

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 13:37:47 cst
From: scott@huntsai.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley)
Subject: Securing Laserwriters

When I worked at Georgia Tech we had devices that you stuck on the side
of the computer/printer/monitor/etc and had a loop that you could run a
cable/lock through. They attached with some sort of very string adhesive
(I don't belive you could have removed them without breaking the side of
the case). Unfortunately I can't seem to find a dealer here in
Huntsville who knows about them.

---
<<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@huntsai.boeing.com|UUCP:..!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!huntsai!scott
DISCLAIMER: All contained herein are my opinions, they do not  | (205)461-2073
represent the opinions or feelings of Boeing or its management.|  BTN:461-2073

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 00:00:52 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Two Questions...

I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible, using resedit, to alter the font used in the menu bar,
to make it a bit smaller? Resedit allows the STYLE of the fonts WITHIN
menus (cut, copy, paste, for example) to, say, condensed, but when I try
to alter the actual menu name (edit, for example) the style of the text
can no longer be changed (the style menu on resedit becomes disabled).
Any hints?

My second question is this: I own a SE with 1 meg (I know, I know, megs
are down to $39, so what the hell am I waiting for...) and a Quantum 40.
Whenever I copy a file from one disk to another, and sometimes when I
quit from a program, saving the changes I made, to the finder, there is
an excruciatingly long pause while the hard drive flashes a bit and the
wristwatch icon sits there. Sometimes the delay is ten seconds long or
more! It occurs after the finder returns to the screen; it is the last
thing that happens before the arrow cursor reappears and I regain
control of the computer. It might help if I said that it seems like the
computer is doing something to the desktop file, even though this is
probably dead-wrong...

Thanks to anyone who can help...

|      _      |                                                         |
|   _ | | _   |   STEVE SHANKMAN                                        |
|  | || || |  |   Consultant, Graduate Macintosh Lab                    |
|  `__  || |  |   University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona                |
|     |  __'  |   SHANKMAS@ARIZVM1.BITNET                               |
|     | |     |     SHANKMAS@ARIZVM1.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU                   |
|     | |     |   SSHANKMAN@MISVAX.BITNET                               |
|     | |     |     SSHANKMAN@MISVAX.MIS.ARIZONA.EDU                    |