Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/03/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  2 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 200

Today's Topics:

      a compare/differences utility: summary of responses
      A Minor Whoops with the Carol Stack
      applications under appleshare
      Communications bottleneck in my Mac
      Does this sound familiar?
      FPU emulation for SE?
      Grant forms on the Mac
      HARD DISK BLUES--
      IIsi & Monitors
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #186
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #195
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #198
      In Search of some Shareware...
      J-clock remover
      Laplink/maclink
      LaserWriter 6.0.1 patch
      Mac II -> Phaser -> DEC LN03R
      MacTCP Discussion list
      MacUser LaserWriter Test Page
      Moving/Printing Word files
      MS DOS on Macs
      Multipurpose Graphics/Curator Program Recommendations?
      NTSC or PAL from portable
      Print Screen utility for the MAC
      Scheme for the Mac
      SyQuest Prices & Apologies
      Wanted:  Mandelzot 3.0 save files

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 17:34 EST
From: "Carol Conti-Entin, ext. 8778" <$CAROL%OCVAXC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: a compare/differences utility: summary of responses

Last week I wrote seeking a program which would do on the Macintosh what
PC Magazine's COMPARE.COM does on MS-DOS machines and DIFFERENCES does on the
VAX: compare two files of any type and display the differences between them.

I've received helpful replies from Shannon Spires, Rick Jarvis, Max Lyth,
Hisham A. Abboud, M. Susan Jones, Rob Managan, Chris Eliot, and Eric Enwall.
(Thank you all very much.)  Here's a summary:

Both THINK C and its Pascal cousin (at least the older Lightspeed version)
come with a COMPARE program.  Since we have both languages on our network
(same program, dated 12/2/85), I tested it out.  It handles text-only files...
verrrrry slowly.

One user has and recommends TextDiff...says it even compared an application and
a copy of that application.  I've not yet seen it but am looking forward to
trying it.  Another user will be letting me beta test a "home-grown" program.
If anyone has the application QUED/M, it contains a compare utility.  Another
user wrote a Quark XTension to compare its files.  Someone else says the
CompareFiles utility in the MPW environment is excellent.  And a user from the
UK says there's something called OmniProof by a company which may be spelled
"Caere" (I've not been able to find out anything more about it).

If someone is seeking a commercial program which compares versions of word-
processing programs, several persons recommended DocuComp 1.5 from Advanced
Software, Inc.  It lists at $159.95, but the MacWAREHOUSE price is $99.
For upgrades ($19.95) call 1-800-522-5939, but otherwise the number of
Advanced Software Inc. is 408-733-0745.

If anyone has other suggestions (especially for binary comparisons), I
welcome them.

   |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
   |  Carol Conti-Entin   Academic Computing Consultant  216-775-8778  |
   |  Houck Computing Center    Oberlin College    Oberlin, OH  44074  |
   |  Bitnet: $carol@oberlin   Internet: $carol@ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu  |
   |          pconti@oberlin             pconti@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu  |
   |-------------------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 08:54:40 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: A Minor Whoops with the Carol Stack

Oh dopey moi!

The Carol stack I uploaded is a Hypercard 2.0 stack.  It will not run on
Hypercard 1.2.x.  Sorry.  I'm afraid I've converted everything to the new
version, so all of you who want to run it will have to rush right out and get
Hypercard 2.0.  Trust me, it's worth it.

My big question is: Since Apple is still giving the HC 2.0 executable away, is
it all right to snag a copy from a friend if you don't care about the manuals,
support, etc?  That's the way I've always gotten my old versions.  Lord knows,
the help stack tells you everything you need to know.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 90 13:46:58 -0500
From: ak751@cleveland.freenet.edu (Mark Saltzman)
Subject: applications under appleshare

	Does anyone know what determines whether or not a single copy of an
application on an appleshare network can be run concurrently by multiple
users.  Specifically, why do applications like Hypercard and Apple file
exchange refuse to run on more than one machine at the same time?
I have looked at different resources with ResEdit, and tried setting various
bits changeable with FileMaster and other similar programs. What am I missing?
Thanks,
	Mark Saltzman
	Macintosh Lab Monitor
	Cleveland State University

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 16:19 EST
From: "M. Can Ertem" <ERTEM@acc.fau.edu>
Subject: Communications bottleneck in my Mac

HI,

I bought a DoveFax about a month ago and am absolutely thrilled
with it. It is one of the best products that I have come across.

But now that I have another device connected to the Mac, I have
a new problem: the COMMUNICATIONS BOTTLENECK.

The system is a IIfx (8 MB) that is connected to

          Device                        which is run by

        - A DoveFax                     Fax init
        - A Farallon MacRecorder        SoundEdit
        - An Eprom programmer           MicroPhone
        - A Motorola 68HC11 board       MicroPhone
        - AppleTalk LaserWriter         Chooser

        - Ethernet                      NCSA Telnet  <-- BEST SW EVER!

Now in the setup I had till today the first four were connected thru
a four way switch to the modem port, and the AppleTalk was on the
printer port. So everytime I had to use the different applications,
I also switched the physical switch.

But I want to have the Fax and the AppleTalk connected permanently,
because they are always going to be running in the background. And for
the rest, I bought an Applied Engineering QuadraLink (AE QL).
On the box it says 'Control four additional devices independently and
simultaneously'. Well, either I don't know what I'm doing, or it
just doesn't work that way.

Is it too unreasonable to ask for two terminal windows open connected
to different serial ports, and to be able to print at the same time,
while the fax is still connected to the machine? I certainly have the
memory to handle this, but I can't get to the ports.

Maybe it's not AE's fault, QL is said to be 'fully compatible with the
Mac's Communications ToolBox and System 7.0. For use with older
software' they include 'shadow drivers' which let you point
the printer and modem ports to any two of the ports. The problem is
none of the above software apparently uses the Comm Toolbox.

Even Apple's own LaserWriter driver does not let you connect to anywhere
other than the printer port (or it's shadow).

A possible solution is something that does the shadowing for the various
applications. That is, if I can just shadow the ports differently for
different applications, and if the INIT which keeps track of this can
re-map the shadow whenever I switch in Multifinder, I will be ok.

Otherwise, the QuadraLink goes back, and the switchbox gets hooked up
again.

Any ideas?

M.C. Ertem
EE Dept.
Florida Atlantic University

PS: The same kind of bottleneck also exists with the 'Network' cdev.
Why oh why can't I connect to an AppleShare server through the ethernet,
and still be able to print on my LocalTalk Printer?!!! Decent software
like NCSA Telnet let you go to the ethernet and still be connected to
LocalTalk.

PPS: MORAL: Things like the Chooser or Network cdev should not apply
across the whole environment but should be linked to the documents/files
that are open. Just like page setup. If you change page setup on one doc
the whole universe does not change with it!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 1:45:23 cst
From: "Prometheus (Doemel,Christopher D)" <DOEMEL%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Does this sound familiar?

Date sent:  30-NOV-1990 01:36:47
Netters,

The Players:

Macintosh SE
System 6.0.5
A TOPS network

The Plot:

A perfectly good disk is inserted into a computer that was previously working
fine, and the computer offers to reformat it for me against my will.  I
select "eject" and try again.  This time, "Disk needs minor repairs."  I
say "eject" once more.

OK, I think, this isn't right.

I use MacTools to copy the files from the supposedly damaged disk on to the
hard drive.  I try the disk in a different computer.  It works fine.  I try
it again on the original, and once more it wants to reformat.

I scan all the disks I can with Disinfectant, and there were no viruses
present.

I try the disk again, and voila!  All is well again... for about 15
minutes.  Then the whole thing starts over again.

My question is... whodunnit?

|| C H R I S T O P H E R   D O E M E L || BITNET:  DOEMEL@GRIN1.BITNET ||
||   G R I N N E L L   C O L L E G E   ||  PHONE:  (515) 269 - 4041    ||
||   A committee is an animal with a hundred stomachs and no brains.   ||

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 16:17:44 est
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: FPU emulation for SE?

The only way to emulate the coprocessor is to patch the routines to
use slower, less precise (in most cases) math functions.

This is not recommended because of SEVERE speed losses, at best.

The reason PseudoFP was written was so that people with 020 processors
&/or 030's without the math coprocessor (?) would be able to use
programs which assume that the coprocessor is there.  Otherwise, the
programs would crash, trying to access it.
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "Licensed
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   to
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |     Program"
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 11:13:58 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Grant forms on the Mac

I second Bruce Long's request (#199) for NSF grant forms as Mac templates.
Also NEH, NEA, ACLS and anything else that's available.

If anyone from Softview reads this: now that you've done the state forms
for the most populous states, how about a package of forms for the main
grant agencies?

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: 30 NOV 90 10:37:46 CDT
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HARD DISK BLUES--

Greetings From Nacogdoches--
Hard disk questions for you folks out there--
1) Is there a utility that will tel me what the interleaf factor is set
to on an already formatted (and in use) hard disk ?
2)  Looking for comments on formatting/driver software for a variety of
hard disks.  Since we have a good number of vatious brands/models
on campus, a good, generic piece of software would be helpful (if such
is possible....)
3)  Can anyone suggest a good book or magazine article on hard disks ??
Thanks--

RON RUSHING--Supervisor, Education Media Center S.F.A. University
 Nacogdoches, TX  75962 <RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 9:01:37 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: IIsi & Monitors

 Hi MacNetters...

 I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences with the IIsi and 3rd
 party monitors.  I'm selling my fully expanded Mac II and thinking about
 getting an "si" (I need my desk space back!), and would like to know
 if anyone has had any problems with monitors such as the Magnavox,
 NEC MacSync, Sony, or Seiko.  I'm partial to the Trinitron tubes, but
 they're a little more expensive.

 Anyone ever try hooking a multisync/autoscan monitor, such as the Mitsubishi
 DiamonScan (1381) or the MultiSync 3d to a Mac with "internal" video, like
 the IIci or IIsi?  I'm curious about what would happen (I have the
 Diamond Scan on my II at home).

 Thanks in advance,

 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 America OnLine: gftempel4, CompuServe: 76047,70
[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 22:34:15 EST
From: Gary <GPYHAP%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #186

I am looking for a INVENTORY program to use for controling lab supplies... Any
one know of such a program.
         thanks.

          Gary Perlman
          e-mail:<GPYHAP@YALEVM>
          Amateur radio: KA1BJX

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 12:59:21 -0600
From: Kent P Miller <kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #195

I have heard that the smallest still usable system in existance was released
on the tour disks that come with the Mac when you buy it.  (Smallest with
the SE?)  I don't know if that information is usable for you or not, but
there it is anyway.

--
-----------------------
Kent Miller

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 00:37 EST
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #198

System 6.05 gave me the same problems. Apparently it was issued only to
take care of the portable and is unstable. With 6.04, you have a very
stable system.I use 6.04 now and hve no problems with my 45meg removable.
Gordon
Dohle@vax2.concordia.ca

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 16:04:02 EST
From: bhuttam@aspen.ulowell.edu (The Nukeman)
Subject: In Search of some Shareware...

Hello to networld,
                 I am looking for the following shareware software:

	1- Matrices        (application)
	2- GridMaker	   (application)
	3- ChemEdit        (application)
	4- Islam Stack     (HyperCard stack)

   I would greatly appreciate if someone could either e-mail me the archive
site(s) or the program itself. I sort of need them immediately. Thanks in
advance.

Bilal A. Bhutta
Nuclear Engineering Dept
University of Lowell, Lowell, MA

  |\/\/\/|  			---> bhuttam@woods.ulowell.edu  (good VMS)
  |      |    			-->  bhuttam@spruce.ulowell.edu (stupid ULTRIX)
  |      |
  | (o)(o)                      ->   bhuttab@caedc.ulowell.edu  (dumb VMS)
  C      _)
  | ,___|
  |   /     "Don't have a reactor, man!"
 /____\
/      \

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 90 15:26:39 CST
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: J-clock remover

There is a utility that removes J-clock from your system. BMUG has it on
on their utility disks. I have it somewhere around here. I haven't posted
it because I had thought J-clock would be extinct by now. I will find and
post it upon request.

Ian Sights
C277839@UMCVMB.missouri.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 90 20:45:28 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Laplink/maclink

On Thu, 29 Nov 90 11:10:14 CST you said:
>I really HATE Apple for doing this. Two conclusions can be drawn from
>it: either Apple's drives are inferior to IBM's or the idea is to force
>users to purchase the much more expensive high density disks.

I suspect neither is the case.  Apple's drives are, I think, more
sophisticated than IBM's.  It's conceivable that formatting DD as HD
would cause more trouble... (in theory more than practice probably, I've
seen mail from wielders of power drills who put their own "holes" in the
DDs to make them HDs -- I don't know what size bit they use :-) saying
that MOST <not all> of the DDs work fine).

NOTE too that most clones act the same way as the Mac.  It's the PS/2's
that are "odd man out."

>Having used a large number of DS/DD diskettes from reputable manufacturers,
>formatted at 1.44 MB, on MessyDOS bonafide IBM machines (PS/30, 50, 55,
>70 and 80's) with NO problems and NO data loss, I'm not convinced of the
>'data loss when formatted at higher densities' blurb from the retailers.
>I really would prefer the decision to risk my information when doing this
>left to ME, instead of the operating system or hardware.

I agree with your principle, on the other hand, I've seen LOTS of *truly*
naive behavior by users (many of whom one would expect to have the brains
to know better) who'll threaten to sue when they DO have a problem (even
one in 10,000) because they weren't <ahem> "adequately warned" (look at
what some folks hire lawyers for these days).

As for me - I buy disks from MEI 1-800-634-3478 at $0.79 each for HD and
$0.39 each for DD (possibly not much help for users in Mexico).  I have
LOADS of friends whose Macs WON'T read the HD format so I use both and I
find it helpful to have both formats and a quick way of telling one from
the other (actually most of my DD's are in "decorator colors" at $0.69
each).  I've experienced format or verify problems on 5% or so of those
generics, but they're cheap enough to chuck when they're not up to snuff.
Generally, I'm happy with MEI (I've done business with them for 5 years
or so).  I have no economic connection with them, but if you call
tell 'em "Murph sent ya :-)"

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 90 20:39:34 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LaserWriter 6.0.1 patch

On 27 Nov 90 09:30 GMT you said:
>Here's a LaserWriter 6.0.x tip. Paul Cozza (author of SAM anti-virus utilities)
>came up with a patch to the LaserWriter color driver to set B/W as the default
>rather than color. This speeds up most printing.
>
>Using Fedit (or any other sector editor), search the LaserWriter system file
>for the hexadecimal string (Don't enter the spaces. I only put them there to
>ease readability):
>
>search for:   377C 0017 0004 7801
>change to:    377C 0018 0004 7801

It occurred to me that there HAD to be a way to make this patch with ResEdit.
It took me a little rummaging around (I'm not yet familiar enough with
resource forks to recognize all those little abbreviations for what they
are, and I'm not into manuals for this sort of minutae), but I *did* find
it :-)

Use the "Find" command to search PDEF ID=4 for the 377C 0017 0004 7801
code and make the change above (18 for 17).  Works (on 6.0.2)!  As I print
far more straight text than anything else, I much prefer having B/W as
the default.

Date: 2 Dec 90 13:44:00 EDT
From: "JS::GRIGSBYJ" <grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Mac II -> Phaser -> DEC LN03R

We have been trying, with the help of Tektronix reps, to connect a DEC LN03R
Scriptprinter to a Tektronix Phaser Printstation.  There is a serial port
available on the Printstation, and the techies from Tektronix say that it
works fine with an Apple LaserWriter (no versions or other qualifying
letters).  Conversely, the LN03R works fine when using the LaserWriter II
drivers from most Windows applications (e.g. ALLWAYS).  However, we can't seem

to get past the initialization stage between the Printstation and the LN03R.
The error which is related back is that the Offending Command is "exit
server".  The instructions which come with the Printstation include some help
for connecting a LaserWriter IINTX to this particular serial port.  However,
we can't seem to get past the initialization point to proceed with any further
instructions to see if this will work.  Does anyone have any experience with
this sort of thing?  Thanks in advance.

                            CAPT JAMES H. GRIGSBY
Commercial: (617)377-5439    DSN 478-5439    Fax: (617)275-9631
                                                   DSN 478-5577
                Network: grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil

                                MAIL: ESD/JST
                                      HANSCOM AFB, MA 01731-5000

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 90 10:34 PST
From: Denis DeLaRoca (213) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: MacTCP Discussion list

Anybody know of any discussion lists focused on MacTCP issues,
questions, configuration, bugs, etc?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 90 20:57 H
From: <VNG%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacUser LaserWriter Test Page

Hi Netters

In the Oct issue of MacUser, there was this test page for comparing
laserprinters. Could someone kindly send me a copy? Either version
would do.. Thanks.

Vince
N.U.S.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 19:35 CST
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Moving/Printing Word files

What kind of problems occur when moving Microsoft Word files from the Mac and
then using them on the PC version of Word?  Another person here has tried and
apparently experienced some problems.  Is font information lost?  Is some
formatting information lost?  (They tried Apple File Exchange and still
experienced problems, just what problems I am not sure.  Certainly they can
move the TEXT of the documents but...what a pain to reformat!)

On another matter, what alternatives exist for persons requiring "camera ready"
copy when laser writers do not provide sufficient quality?  Is there a
way of printing files "darker" than normal (I'm told this is one of the
problems Mac users are experiencing on our campus.)

-Tom

Tom Hausmann                             Internet: hausmann@iscsvax.uni.edu
Department of Math & CS
University of Northern Iowa                      VoiceNet: (319) 273-2119
Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0441                         GEnie: T.HAUSMANN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 15:04:12 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: MS DOS on Macs

I have been asked to inquire about the cheapest effective hardware/
software solution to running IBM (MS DOS) software on a Mac, preferably
for under $1,000.  The equipment would be added to an SE.  What is
needed here is the ability to actually run IBM software, not just
transfer files into the Mac environment.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 90 09:49:19 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Multipurpose Graphics/Curator Program Recommendations?

I'm in the classic bind of wanting to view/convert/file/edit/copy
Mac graphics in all the common formats: MacPaint, PICT,
Postscript/EPSF, TIFF, GIFF, etc. (though mostly the first 3 or 4).
Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive program?

My personal requirements:
   --really only B&W, not color
   --don't need to bring over IBM/PC formats
   --not doing heavy art work, just the occasional technical
     illustration; mainly need to keep these on file, do
     light editing, and paste into TeX or Word documents
   --would particularly like to be able to open and edit or
     convert Postscript or EPSF files, since Mathematica, Igor
     and other useful programs generate EPSF output.
   --Would like to do this in ONE not too complex program

Suggestions?                --AES   siegman@sierra.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 1990 12:05-EST
From: Roberto.Bisiani@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: NTSC or PAL from portable

Is there any product that will generate video
(color or BW) or color terminal signals
(that can be converted to video) from a portable?
Either from the display port or from SCSI? Thanks.
				Roberto Bisiani

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 10:36:00 EST
From: EKSTROM%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu
Subject: Print Screen utility for the MAC

   Hi there,

    I'm not sure if this is the proper list or not, but I am looking for a
print screen utility for Macintosh computers.  Let me clarify the situation.
We presently have a few Macs connected to a LAN running Mac Terminal (v2.0?).
Because of the mode we are using it in is (DEC VT52) the print screen utility
does not work correctly.  For bold letters, it stretches the letters across
the printed page.  I would like to know if there is a way to fix this problem
or is there another utility for printing the screen.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

David Ekstrom
University of Hartford - Computer Services
Ekstrom@Hartford

P.S. Please respond directly, as I don't subscribe to your list.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 16:38:10 EDT
From: mperry@sydvm1.iinus1.ibm.com
Subject: Scheme for the Mac

Hi All,

Having done some work with Scheme in the past and having just purchased a Mac,
I am interested in getting info/advice/comments on any implementations of
the language that are available  eg. memory requirements, performance, price,
etc.

Thanks in advance ...

Mark Perry                            : \begin{standard_disclaimer}
Melbourne Production Branch           : I do NOT speak for IBM. The above are
IBM Australia                         : my opinions.
MPERRY@SYDVM1.iinus1.ibm.com          : \end{standard_disclaimer}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 13:30:58 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: SyQuest Prices & Apologies

My apologies for not including Ehman/CuttingEdge in my SyQuest report:

>I think you should include Ehman/Cutting Edge in your list rather than trying
>to make other people's decisions for them.  I've heard equally bad or worse
>things about Jasmine, for example, but you listed them.  What you should have
>done is listed the prices with a footnote #.  Then people can make informed
>decisions.  (That's why your list has more than just MacProducts in it.)
>
>   The entries marked with (#) indicate companies which have had many
>   negative reports about their products and/or support.  "Buyer beware"
>   should apply even more strongly to these companies.
>
>No, I have no relation to Ehman, but my brother owns one of their products
>and has had no problems with it at all.
>
>No, this isn't a flame.  Just a friendly suggestion.
>
>	--- Bruce
>	Leban@cs.umass.edu  @amherst.mass.usa.earth

Thanks for the information regarding my slip in opinion.  I'm glad you've
not had problems with Ehman/CuttingEdge, I only wish the people here in
my immediate area were so lucky!

George
---------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 1990 20:45 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Wanted:  Mandelzot 3.0 save files

I recently downloaded Mandelzot 3.0 from the Info-Mac archives, and I'm having
a lot of fun playing with it.  I find fractals to be rather attractive, but I
don't really understand the math behind them.  I've been examining the save
files that came with the distribution, and not only are some of them really
pretty, but they're teaching me a thing or two about the Mandelbrot set and
about the Mandelzot program.  Is there anyone else out there who has been
playing with Mandelzot?  Would you be willing to send me some of your save
files?  Coordinate-save or bitmap-save files would be fine for the sake of
network bandwidth.  Dwell-save files are a bit too large to transmit many of
them around, and besides, my poor IIcx needs something to to while I play with
my VAX...  If there is any interest, I'll be happy to collect the best of any
I receive and post them to the archives.  Thanks.

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

End of Info-Mac Digest