Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/04/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  3 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 201

Today's Topics:

      [*] Calendar 2.2.1
      [*] cyrillic font submission
      [*] Disinfectant 2.4
      [*] Fruits of Passion cdev
      [*] ISODE's OSI stub generators
      [*] Kasparov-Karpov 1990 Chess Championship
      [*] Keyboard Switcher 1.8.1
      [*] New Hypercard features demonstration stack
      [*] PseudoFPU
      [*] SpeedChopper 1.0
      [*] TheNews.hqx
      [*] Think C src for NetNews reader
      [*] Unix SPICE to Mac CricketGraph converter is here
      Anyone running AUX 2.0 with an X.25 card on a II?
      AppleTalk to Ethernet Query
      COMP.SOURCES.MAC
      External Hard Drive for Original Mac II
      Extra diskdrives to Mac
      file transfer & printing options
      GCC FOR MPW!!!
      Laserwriter IIntx memory
      LaserWriter IINTX Rom Upgrade ???
      Mac IIsi: $$ and availability
      NSF Grant Forms
      Save A Tree - Unix version?
      Schedule planner
      TIFF format

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 90 23:33 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ%sask.usask.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Calendar 2.2.1

Calendar Maker 2.2.1-  This will allow you to design and print calendars on
your Mac.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/calendar-maker-221.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 1990 12:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Sherman <mss+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] cyrillic font submission

Below is a binhex'd, stuffit'd font file that contains a variety of
Cyrillic (Russian, etc) fonts that I collected in response to my request
for Russian fonts. There were name conflicts among the fonts I received
and with other fonts already in the archives, so I renamed some fonts
arbitrarily. I think there is one font duplication, but I did not want
to check it carefully enough to see. Only bitmap fonts were donated; I
did not find any publically available outline fonts.
		-Mark

[Archived as /info-mac/font/cyrillic-misc.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 12:51:28 CST
From: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad)
Subject: [*] Disinfectant 2.4

Disinfectant 2.4
================

December 3, 1990

Disinfectant 2.4 is a new release of our free Macintosh anti-viral
utility.

Version 2.4 detects the new B strain of the ZUC virus, recently
discovered in Italy.

There are several other minor changes to version 2.4.  See the
"Version History" section of the 2.4 online manual for details.

The Disinfectant sample source code has also been updated to version 2.4.

Disinfectant 2.4 is available now via anonymous FTP from site
acns.nwu.edu [129.105.49.1].  It will also be available soon on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, rascal.ics.utexas.edu, comp.binaries.mac,
America Online, CompuServe, GEnie, Delphi, BIX, MacNet, Calvacom,
AppleLink, and other popular sources of free and shareware software.

Macintosh users who do not have access to electronic sources of free and
shareware software may obtain a copy of Disinfectant by sending a self-
addressed stamped envelope and an 800K floppy disk to the author at the
address given below. People outside the US may send an international postal

reply coupon instead of US stamps (available from any post office). Please
use sturdy envelopes, preferably cardboard disk mailers.

People in Western Europe may obtain a copy of the latest version of
Disinfectant by sending a self-addressed disk mailer and an 800K floppy
disk to macclub benelux. Stamps are not required. The address is:

   macclub benelux
   Disinfectant Update
   Wirtzfeld Valley 140
   B-4761 Bullingen Belgium

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
2129 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208 USA

Internet: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Bitnet: jln@nuacc
America Online: JNorstad
CompuServe: 76666,573
AppleLink: A0173

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/disinfectant-24.hqx; 227K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 8:11:17 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] Fruits of Passion cdev

Here is Fruits of Passion version 2.4.  It is a cdev that allows
you to change the apple in the menu bar to any other fruit you
like.  It is smileware by Christophe Andres.  The cdev works in
both color and B&W and you can customize it by modifying the SICN
and cicn resources with ResEdit. To select a new "apple" double
click on the name in the cdev so that the check mark appears.

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/fruits-of-passion.hqx; 25K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 1990 10:28:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Sherman <mss+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] ISODE's OSI stub generators

OSI is a set of computer network protocols specified by ISO for
connecting computers together, similar to the TCP/IP and Appletalk
series of protocols. The higher level protocols provide a remote
procedure call facility which can be specified using a context-free
grammar-like notation. ISODE is a publically available software package
that implements many OSI protocols on Unix. Part of the package are
processors for the remote procedure call specifications. These
processors are called xpepy, xposy, and xrosy. Peter Kay ported these
processors onto the Mac. The Binhex'd programs follow.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/isode-osi-processors.hqx; 275K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 14:41:10 PST
From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)
Subject: [*] Kasparov-Karpov 1990 Chess Championship

  Attached is a stuffed, binhexed Sargon III file containing
the first 12 games of the best-of-24 world chess championship
between Garri Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov.  The match was
tied 6-6 after 12, with Kasparov (the defending champ) playing
the white pieces in all even-numbered games.  In the event of
a 12-12 tie, Kasparov would retain the crown and the $3 million
purse will be split evenly.  The games can also be read by
Sargon IV.

-shane

"the Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/chess-1990-championship.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 22:50:01 EDT
From: Jim Walker <jwwalker@csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] Keyboard Switcher 1.8.1

KCHR resources can be used to customize your keyboard.  Keyboard
Switcher is an INIT/cdev that puts a small icon anywhere in the
menu bar.  Click to switch KCHRs, option-click to drop a menu.

Includes four sample KCHRs, including one that makes the period
and comma keys unaffected by Shift and one that makes Shift
cancel CapsLock. Compatible with the KCHR in Electric Dvorak.
System 6.0 or later required.

Changes since version 1.6 include: better detection and notification
of errors; the file does not modify itself at every startup; the
startup icon can be turned off.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/keyboard-switcher-181.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 13:52 EDT
From: Matthew Wall <WALL@swat.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: [*] New Hypercard features demonstration stack

Attached below for the archive is The New Hypercard, a reference stack by Matt
Neuburg of the Classics Department of Swarthmore College which describes and
demonstrates many features of Hypercard 2.0. It is particularly useful for
those who are familiar with authoring Hypercard 1.2.x stacks.

- Matt

Matthew Wall
Humanities Computing Coordinator
Swarthmore College
wall@campus.swarthmore.edu
wall@swarthmr

[Archived as /info-mac/card/hypercard-20-features.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 13:36:26 PDT
From: bay@amuck.stanford.edu (Bay-Wei Chang)
Subject: [*] PseudoFPU

PseudoFPU is an INIT and cdev which allows programs expecting a piece of
hardware called a Floating Point Unit (FPU) to work without one.  It is
primarily intended for the new Macintosh IIsi and Macintosh LC computers
which do not contain FPUs.  Fixes many programs which currently crash on
these machines, including popular color paint programs.

John Neil
3257 Greer Rd.
Palo Alto, California 94303
neil@applelink.apple.com

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/pseudo-fpu.hqx; 88K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 13:26:55 +0100
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: [*] SpeedChopper 1.0

This is a control panel document which allows you to control the
speed of your Macintosh. SpeedChopper is freeware and NOT public
domain. Copyright 1990 Seagull Engineering. All rights reserved.

Requires System 6.0.4 or later.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/speed-chopper.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 16:15:06 -0600
From: Mark  Lanett <ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] TheNews.hqx

TheNews is an application net-news reader using the MacTCP
drivers. It requires the IP number of a machine running an
NNTP server, but you do not need an account on that machine to
use it. It allows replies to be posted via netnews or email,
which do require an account for a return address, but they don't
have to be on the NNTP server machine. This is shareware.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/the-news.hqx; 201K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 14:10:28 CDT
From: halley!seiko!twb@cs.utexas.edu (Tom Bereiter)
Subject: [*] Think C src for NetNews reader

The binhex file attached below is the Think C source for a sample NetNews
reader which I offer to the archive.  The first paragraph of the Readme
file follows.

	Tom Bereiter
	cs.utexas.edu!halley!twb

NetNews Starter Code Package (NNSCP)  October 1990
If you have picked up this code in hopes of finding a nifty new news reader
you will be disappointed and should probably stick with one of the HyperCard
based readers. If, on the other hand, you've thought about tinkering with a
news reader you may find this a useful starting point.  The code requires
Think C 4.0 or later and MacTCP.  While this code does produce a perfectly
acceptable new reader (I use it as my sole news reader), it is best viewed as
sample code.  The user interface is cumbersome in parts and the code is not
robust enough to be considered a finished product.  I call this code a starter
package because it implements a "news reader in the raw", base functionality,
ready to be customized with features of your design.

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/net-news-reader.hqx; 64K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 19:28:12 GMT
From: gbrown@truebalt.cco.caltech.edu (Glenn Christopher Brown)
Subject: [*] Unix SPICE to Mac CricketGraph converter is here
Here is a copy of a Unix spice to Tab-Delimited-Text converter that I
wrote over the summer for Auburn University. This program converts
spice text output files into a format that can easily be imported into
CricketGraph on the Macintosh or into just about any spreadsheet for
the mac or (I am told) for MS-DOS machines.
	This program enables you (indirectly) to include graphs from
spice simulations in papers typeset on the macintosh.  After converting
a spice file to TDT format, transfer the file to your Macintosh, open it
as a text file in CricketGraph, plot it, and copy the resultant graph
to the clipboard.  Then you can paste the graph into your paper using
your favorite word processor.

To compile, save this file as [filename] and type
	"cc [filename] -0 chirp"

Any questions about the program before July 1992 should be directed to
	gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu.

Later,
gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/spice-to-text.txt; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 18:36:46 IST
From: "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100%BGUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Anyone running AUX 2.0 with an X.25 card on a II?

I have a need for any tips on connecting a II(si/fx) to an X.25
network?  Have you done this?  Great!  Please let me know...

                                                      Thank you.

                                                                Jonathan

  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      | \|/\   /\/) /|-\   Snail: 55 Hovevei Zion
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ | |_/        Tel-Aviv, 63346  ISRAEL
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen             Voice: (03) 281-422

 Point of view:  A chicken is the means by which an egg reproduces an egg.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 1990 16:53 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk to Ethernet Query

I need help and suggestions on how to configure our Macintosh networks to
communicate with our Vaxes on Ethernet and go out onto the Internet.

Here's our scenario-

I've got four separate AppleTalk LANs, each with its own server (we're
running a network package called MacJanet).  We were thinking of
purchasing a bridge for each of these LANs and connecting the bridges to a
backbone AppleTalk network that then connects to a FastPath (or other
gateway) to access our VAXs.  Our rationale here is that we want server
traffic to remain within that particular AppleTalk segment, but we want
users to have the opportunity to access the VAX and Ethernet from any
workstation in our Macintosh labs for e-mail or to explore the internet.
As well, we may eventually want to have a dedicated mail server on the
AppleTalk backbone for all users to access, or maybe a server loaded with
public domain software.

Here's my questions-

1) If user A on LAN A accesses the server on LAN A, will those same
packets travel across the bridge to all other AppleTalk segments?  If so,
then bridging these segments will seriously affect performance.

2) Is a router a better choice than a bridge?  If so, can you suggest a
manufacturer that you have experience with?

3) If bridges are all I need, can you suggest a manufacturer that you've had
experience with?

4) What network software is being used at your site(s)?  Are you
concerned about locking and protecting programs?  What about setting
quotas on the maximum number of concurrently running copies of a
program?

Is there someone you know of who I should be talking to
(name/phone/bitnet address)?

Please respond to me directly.  Many thanks for all the help.

Joy Aberback
Computer Services
Saint Mary's University
Voice: (902) 420-5472  (call collect!)
Bitnet: JABERBACK@STMARYS
Internet:  JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 23:21:45 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: COMP.SOURCES.MAC

I notice that in the uunet directory, there are a number of directories
such as comp.sources.amiga etc. I have often heard of a comp.sources.mac,
but it is not listed in uunet, or anywhere. Then, suddenly, there were
two postings to info-mac on usenet guide to mac programming.
Folks, are there any other substantial discussion groups unknown
to bitnetters like me?
There used to be regular usenet and delphi digests as well. What are those?
Where are they maintained? Are there ways to obtain digests of compuserve
and bix networks?
Can anyone give a complete list of mac discussion groups and how to access
them from bitnet?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 15:37 CDT
From: <CSCCLUB%DEPAUL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: External Hard Drive for Original Mac II

Hi everyone,

        First of all, I just want to tell you that this is NOT my account -- I
        am simply borrowing it because it has gmail privileges.  Please send
        all replies to ACSLABJNF@DEPAUL.bitnet.  Please send directly to me (or
        to list and to me -- I don't belong to all the lists I'm sending to).

        Here's my question: Is there any way to hook up an external drive to
        the original Mac II.  The original Mac II did not include a SCSI port.
        Is there somewhere where they can install SCSI ports onto a Mac II.

        I have a Mac II with a 40-meg drive and almost everything on it is
        compressed -- I NEED a way to hook up an external.  Don't tell me to
        buy an internal and replace my current drive -- I would also like to
        daisy-chain more than one peripheral to the computer.

        If it's important, here's my configuration:

                MAC II w/40 MB Hard Drive
                5 MB RAM (1MB 120ns, 4MB 80ns)
                Color Monitor

        This is important to me.  If you can help, let me know -- no idea is
        to silly.

        BTW, for those people who have read about Compactor, but not used it:
        It does work.  It compresses (on the average) between 2-20% more than
        Stuffit Deluxe (some files up to 50% more).

                                        Thanks,
**      Joel N. Fischoff  "The Doctor"  Joel Fischoff   (Home)                **
**      243 S. Wabash                   3711 W. Enfield                       **
**      Chicago, IL 60604               Skokie, IL 60076-2217                 **
**      BITNET: ACSLABJNF@DEPAUL.bitnet Internet:       jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu  **

P.S.    Our network card is down right now to the CSC3B machine, so please
        mail to ACSLABJNF@DEPAUL.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 12:22 MET
From: GROENEN%rulfsw.LeidenUniv.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Extra diskdrives to Mac

I recently discovered that the external Apple floppy drive seems to have
an the possibility of connecting an extra external floppy drive to it.
To see the connection you only have to remove the small covering plate.
To my disappointment nothing happened when I connected two external drives
to the Mac (Plus). Does anybody know if this facility could be used? Do
I need extra cables?

Thanks for any information.

Patrick Groenen
Leiden University,
Holland

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 90 01:34:19 EST
From: Do Minh <minh-do@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: file transfer & printing options

I want to download IBM programs with my networked Mac and then
transfer it to my IBM.  Is there anyway to do this?  What I have been doing
is downloading to my VAX account and then transferring the files to the IBM
with a modem.  Being to get the program straight from the mac would really
speed things up.

Also, has anyone compiled information on the different non-Apple printer
options.  I am looking at IW II, DeskWriter, or Grappler and Epson LX-810,
or Grappler and DeskJet 500.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And while were on printers, does anyone know of a good print spooler.  I
think there is one called Super Spool but I donUt know where to look.

If you could, please respond by e-mail, because I donUt subscribe to info-
mac.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 23:28:14 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: GCC FOR MPW!!!

Some weeks back I asked for help and info on gcc ports under the native
MacOS. I have gotten a number of replies in return, and all pointing
to the stupidity of Apple which led to the lack of support from the
FSF. Anyway, it seems that gcc has been ported to the mpw platform!!!
It can be found in apple.com in the pub/gnu.mpw directory.
There are two files - one is a 4 Meg and the other is about 1.5 Meg, I think.
Anyway, have fun. And thanks to the folks who actually ported it...
Now how about GhostScript, GnuMake, GDB, GCC++, etc etc etc...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 10:38:26 GMT
From: MBSFPAW@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Subject: Laserwriter IIntx memory

Hello,

I am sending out for help on behalf of a heretic IBM-PC user,
who is slowly coming to reason.

He has just been dealing with a Laserwriter II ntx problem:

At startup, the status sheets informs him that he has 3Meg of Ram,
but when he starts downloading Adobe Poscripts fonts, using the
appropriate adobe software on the IBM PC, the program returns
that there is only 1.3meg available.

Where have the 1.7meg gone?
How memory sensitive is the printing process: ie
what can you achieve with 1.3meg, what does the extra memory
really allow you to do?
How much memory does one typical text page uses?
etc...

If anybody has any experience in this domain, please get in touch.
Keep my atempt of conversion alive, save Apple from ridicule.

yours,

     Alain Waha,  research assistant in Aeronautical Engineering
|       JANET : MBSFPAW@uk.ac.mcc.cms    |   Aeronautical Eng. dpt.  |
|DARPA/BITNET : MBSFPAW@cms.mcc.ac.uk    |   The University          |
|        UUCP : MBSFPAW%cms.mcc@uucp.ukc |   Manchester, M13 9PL     |
|      ANALOG : X (0)61 275-4305         |   England                 |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
| & God said:                                                        |
|       u du/dx + v du/dy = -1/@ dp/dx + mu (d2u/dx2 + d2u/dy2)      |
|                               & jets rose steadily into the skies  |
     (disclaimer: the equation ain't mine, it's Navier & Stokes)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 90 12:17 PST
From: Denis DeLaRoca (213) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: LaserWriter IINTX Rom Upgrade ???

I seem to have read some months back about Apple upgrading the ROMs
of the LaseWriter IINTX. Anybody know whether those roms are now
available, price and features too?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 14:34:16 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Mac IIsi: $$ and availability

 Hi MacNetters...

 I've been trying to track IIsi prices in a spreadsheet (much like the
 SyQuest prices) and I'm asking for people's experiences regarding
 price and availability.  Has anyone gotten good/bad/neutral experiences
 with mail-order places, package deals, etc.  Has anyone gotten better
 prices with the IIcx or IIci via mailorder or some such method?

 Please respond directly to me and I'll summarize for the net.

 Any apologies to those netters who've flamed me about the SyQuest
 research I did...I didn't intend to offend anyone (honest).

 Thanks in advance,
-------
 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 America OnLine: gftempel4, CompuServe: 76047,70
[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 15:45:50 EST
From: agw@flounder.cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz)
Subject: NSF Grant Forms

Hi.

Those interested in NSF grant forms might find the following useful.

      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw@cs.columbia.edu
      ATTnet:    Columbia University (212) 854-8642 854-2736
                 Fordham University  (212) 841-5323 841-5396

------%<--%<--%<---cut here---%<--%<--%<---------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 89 15:46:15 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Kim Costello <kimiko+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: +dist+/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr7/kimiko/expres/ps-expres/psexpres.dl@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: New release of PS-EXPRES software

To: PS-EXPRES distribution List
Subject: New release of PS-EXPRES

Release 2.1 of PS-EXPRES is now available.
It has the following improvements:

 - A new form, equity, is produced by NSFForms.
 - The cover page includes the newly required
   anti-drug statement.
 - A new program, pluck, is provided as an alternative
   to psrev which was UNIX-specific.
 - The -o output switch was provided for collate
   and pssqw.
 - A miscomputation of Total equipment on budget
   page 1 in the spread sheets was corrected.
 - The *** signs in signature boxes were
   eliminated, reducing the need for the -s switch in
   NSFForms.
 - The & style keys can be used in Excel spread
   sheets now.
 - The & style keys allow the explicit mention of a
   form.
 - The -d switch will print out the numbers in
   pennies regardless of input.
 - The Abstract can be included in spread sheets.
 - Page numbers can be specified for each form.
 - Multiple lines are allowed for
   INVESTIGATOR_INSTITUTION
 - Title lines on the budget pages have been
   centered.
 - Spelling and spacing errors have been
   corrected.
 - The needless notations like APPENDIX III on the
   tops of forms have been removed.
 - On UNIX and IBM PC systems NSFForms will
   look for NSFForms.sps and NSFForms.ini in different
   places than the current directory.

There are different ways to obtain the software depending upon your
computing circumstances. In each case, you will receive a file guide.ps
which you should print on a PostScript printer, and read for further
instructions.

 1. Macintosh and PC users can request a disk by sending email to
                ps-expres@andrew.cmu.edu
    or regular mail to

     PS-EXPRES
     Information Technology Center
     Carnegie Mellon University
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213

  Be sure to specify Mac or PC and the disk size.

 2. People with NSFNet/ARPANet connections can get the code in source
    and executable form via FTP. First, connect with a particular
    machine at CMU by typing the following commands:

    ftp 128.2.12.15
    ftp>Name: anonymous
    ftp>Password: anythingyoulike
    ftp>prompt
    ftp>ascii
    ftp>cd common
    ftp>mget *
    ftp>cd ..

    This will retrieve files everyone needs.

    If you simply want to run the software, copy everything
    from the appropriate machine-specific
    binary directory below. For example, to retrieve
    the PC executable programs type

     ftp>binary
     ftp>cd pc
     ftp>mget *
     ftp>cd ..
     ftp>ascii

    The machine-specific directories are:

     mac (apply BinHex 4.0 to  files after retrieving)
     pc
     rt       (apply chmod +x after retrieving)
     sun3     (apply chmod +x after retrieving)
     vax-unix (apply chmod +x after retrieving)

    We haven't figured out how to distribute VMS
    binaries yet, so VMS users will have to rebuild
    the software themselves.

   The following directories contain document
   processor templates for proposals:

     scribe
     tex
     latex
     troff

   For example, to retrieve the tex template, type

   ftp>cd tex
   ftp>mget *
   ftp>cd ..

  You may also want to retrieve a set of blank
  forms used by the processor templates by
  typing

   ftp>cd blanks
   ftp>mget *
   ftp>cd ..

 If you want to modify or rebuild the software retreive
 the source code by typing

  ftp>cd src
  ftp>mget *
  ftp>cd ..

 The src directory contains

    SREADME: instructions for building
       executables
    C-Programs and Header files: *.c and *.h
    UNIX-specific files: Makefile
    VMS-specific files: compile.com, descrip.mms
    Macintosh-specific files:
       *.r, NSFForms.make, nsfmenus.c,
       window.c, nsfwndw.h
    PC-specific files: *.MAK

 To exit  type

    ftp>quit

 3. If you are a UNIX user but cannot use the FTP
    connection, request the software by email. If
    you send a request to

            ps-expres@andrew.cmu.edu

    We will send you the non-binary software in the
    form of shar files.

 4. If you do not need any of the software, but want
    to submit proposals electronically, contact NSF
    at the following address:

    Gerald B. Stuck
    National Science Foundation
    1800 G Street NW
    Room 401
    Washington, DC 20550

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 10:18:16 EST
From: Martin Dubuc <dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Save A Tree - Unix version?

Hi,

I have tried recently the utility Save A Tree and was impressed by its capabilities.
Now, I was wondering if such an utility existed already for Unix. I wrote to
its author and he told me that Save A Tree was indeed based an a Unix utility called
enscript. I would like to get it or any other software that has the same
features. Could someone point me out where I can find this?

Martin Dubuc
dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 17:16 N
From: <HEWAT%FRILL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (HEWAT@FRILL51, F-76-48-72-13 [or26] FAX 76-4...)
Subject: Schedule planner

We need to schedule instrument days over a period of a few weeks.  At present
we cut up bits of paper the size repesenting the number of days and shuffle
them around on a large calender (cute uh ?).  There must be a Macintosh way
to create such a simple schedule.

Alan Hewat (HEWAT@FRILL.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 11:52:56 +0200
From: die%domino.u-strasbg.fr@ricevm1.rice.edu (Dietrich Alain 88416277)
Subject: TIFF format

Hello,

Does anyone could inform me about the TIFF file format (especially
the 196 first bytes) or say where this information is available ?

Thank you,
Alain.
die@domino.u-strasbg.fr

End of Info-Mac Digest