Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/05/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  4 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 202

Today's Topics:

      [*] (for HC 2.0) HyperXCmd.h etc. for Think C
      [*] Disk Recovery Comparison Stack
      [*] Graphics demo
      [*] Kaos v0.04r
      [*] NetChess 1.5b1
      [*] Penguin Serial Numbers Stack
      [*] Unit conversion
      AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
      Carol Stack Problems
      DeskPict 1.1
      FDHD Problems
      Hard Disk Blues
      Interfacing Disk Drives from a MicroVAX to a Mac
      I want a translating DA
      MODIFYING LW DRIVER ??
      pbmplus toolkit for mac?
      PD-ROM
      PICASSO Animation using Versaterm
      PICT resources
      Printer's for the Macintosh
      PROBLEMS WITH BACKFAX
      SE Accelerators
      Search for user Soft 3D
      Spreadsheet Source Code
      Stable system for Hypercard 2.0
      Telnet from Mac to Iris problem
      The Old Mac and the SCSI
      Three-d rendering program needed
      virus detection
      WANTED: INIT/FKEY/?? which will send function key codes
      Wanted: TCP/IP on Macintosh w/TokenTalk NB

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 09:28:04 GMT
From: Nigel Perry <np@doc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: [*] (for HC 2.0) HyperXCmd.h etc. for Think C

Hi,
	Below is a binhex'ed compactor archive containing a version of
HyperXCmd.h for HyperCard 2.0 which uses #define macros and runs under
Think C. If you prefer to have interface functions rather than macros
a small time in Emacs should solve your needs - if you store your
paramPtr in a register variable I think you'll find the macros produce
more compact code - but you do lose argument type checking... Also
included is a small Think C project used to test out the HyperXCmd.h
and the original Apple versions (for MPW) and documentation.

Enjoy.
	Nigel

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/hyper-xcmd.hqx; 73K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 90 09:40:43 EST
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: [*] Disk Recovery Comparison Stack

This is a simple stack I wrote to aid me in a presentation comparing the
three major (911 Utilties wasn't out yet) disk recovery programs. It's
subjective, but will help if you are thinking about buying SUM II, Norton
Utilities, or MacTools Deluxe. It requires only HyperCard 1.2.2 or later.
$10 shareware with the proceeds helping me to provide TidBITS free to the
Macintosh community.
                                 Adam C. Engst

[Archived as /info-mac/report/disk-recovery-stack.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 04:08:21 EST
From: mg5184@mars.njit.edu (Michael Gaines)
Subject: [*] Graphics demo

This is a small, yet poweful program which shows the capabilities of:

	3-D graphics
	Light sources
	Eye Coordinates
	Input/output with dialog boxes
	3-D rotation

	The program is free, but the source code is $25. Enjoy!
							Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/app/three-d-demo.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 03:44:54 +0100
From: reinoud@duteca2.et.tudelft.nl (R. Lamberts)
Subject: [*] Kaos v0.04r

Proudly presenting Kaos, the artistic fractal program!

Kaos is a program creating fractal images. Yes, another one! Kaos is different,
however. It tries to create esthetically pleasing pictures, all by itself. The
program is based on IFS type fractals. Kaos supports full 24 bit video, but
works of course with any screen configuration. Required are at least a 68020, an
FPU and Color QuickDraw.

Kaos is free for noncommercial use.

- Reinoud
email: reinoud@duteca.tudelft.nl

[Archived as /info-mac/app/kaos-004.hqx; 89K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 15:45:33 -0500
From: drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin)
Subject: [*] NetChess 1.5b1

Due to the extraordinary number of requests for Mac chess games,
I am forwarding NetChess 1.5b1 to the Info-Mac archives.  This is
a chess game meant for AppleTalk networks, but it comes with a
special configuration file which supposedly allows use of the
program without a network.

(Disclaimer:  I am not a chess player.  I pulled this off a local
BBS.  Don't blame me if it doesn't work.)

[Archived as /info-mac/game/net-chess-15b1.hqx; 107K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 90 10:15:56 EST
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: [*] Penguin Serial Numbers Stack

This is a relatively simple stack I wrote to be able to store information
about the programs I buy - serial numbers, company names, phone numbers,
etc. It's not a spectacular use of HyperCard 2.0, which it does require,
but there are a few nice touches and it's prettier than your average
database. $10 shareware with the proceeds going to providing TidBITS free
to the Macintosh community.

                                  Adam C. Engst

[Archived as /info-mac/card/penguin-serial-numbers.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 1990 18:06:11 -0400
From: "Nuno M. Paixao" <paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca>
Subject: [*] Unit conversion

	A little while ago, I saw a hypercard stack that did conversions
of temperature units. I liked the idea, but was unimpressed by the fact
that I was only able to convert temperature units.

	So I went to work, and created a new stack. This stack will convert
between just about any two units. It does:

	1- Distance Conversions
	2- Area Conversions
	3- Volume Conversions
	4- Weight Conversions
and 	5- Temperature COnversions.

	Here it is for those of you interested:

				Nuno

[Archived as /info-mac/card/unit-conversion.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 1990 16:55:35 PST
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: AppleShare PC & Ethernet?

Date    12/4/90
Subject AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

        Reply to:   AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
Apple DevHotline said this compatibility question was a bit beyond their
knowledge and MacDTS said they don't handle these kind of issues.

--- Flame On ---
Seems like Apple Support is yet another oxymoron.  Basically, Apple seems to
take the position that their AppleShare PC software is so valuable that all
DOS hardware and software venders, all DOS ethernet card venders, and all DOS
system software venders should have tested for compatibility with Apple's DOS
software made sure that their products worked with Apple's software.
--- Flame Off ---

I would like to install AppleShare PC Phase II with EtherLink II cards into
the following machines.  Does anyone see anything that might prevent that from
working correctly?  Any suggestions on configuration settings that might
increase the chances of such a set up working?

Compaq 486/25   6MbRAM  320MbHD
Compaq 386/33   4MbRAM  320MbHD
Compaq 386/25E  6MbRAM  120MbHD
Compaq 386/20   4MbRAM   60MbHD
Compaq 386/25   4MbRAM   60MbHD

All running Compaq DOS 3.31, Desqview 2.3, QEMM 5.0, and products that
incorporate Phar Lap's DOS Extender.

Any gotcha's I should look out for?  Are there any model numbers of the
EtherLink II card that I should specifically get to work with AppleShare PC
Phase II?  Any idea how I would identify different models of the EtherLink II
cards?

I checked all over the Apple CD-ROMs and AppleLink to see if I could find info
about AppleShare PC on an ethernet and most of the information is several
years old and concerns itself with who's vender cards to use.  Any ideas or
suggestions other than becoming Apple's product testing and quality assurance
lab for AppleShare PC?

Kee Nethery
Kagi Engineering Inc.

nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 15:08:34 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Carol Stack Problems

OK, it's time to ask the net for help.  This way everyone can see what's going
on and stop sending me mail.  Please.

I posted the Carol Stack without really thinking about it.  It was in
Hypercard 2.0 format and I forgot to copy some XFCNs to it.  I was deluged
with mail.

I scrounged an old copy of the original stack in version 1.2.5 format.  I
copied the XFCNs to it and copied the scripts from the new format stack to the
old format stack.  I tested it.  It worked.  I posted it.

It doesn't work any more.  When run under 1.2.5 it works fine.  When run under
2.0 it doesn't see the XFCNs.  If you are lucky(?) you get the "Couldn't load
external command" error.

I've already devoted more time to this than it is worth.  Does anyone have any
clues?  I've verified the resource fork with ResEdit but it says there are no
troubles.  The 1.2.5 stack works under 1.2.5 and the 2.0 stack works under 2.0
but you cannot run the 1.2.5 stack under 2.0.  I hate this shit!

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 11:23:39 GMT
From: MBSFPAW@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Subject: DeskPict 1.1

Hello,

Could somebody solve my problem.
I recently retrieved DeskPict 1.1 from the archieves. It seems to
behave properly until I reboot the machine and it requests a startup
screen. Or I had both a valid StartupScreen and DeskPicture named
StartupScreen created with Macpaint2, both present in the system folder.
What am I doing wrong?
I use an SE/30 5/40, with init cdev 3.0 and a few other inits which are
loaded after deskpict 1.1.

Alain
|       JANET : MBSFPAW@uk.ac.mcc.cms    |   Aeronautical Eng. dpt.  |
|DARPA/BITNET : MBSFPAW@cms.mcc.ac.uk    |   The University          |
|        UUCP : MBSFPAW%cms.mcc@uucp.ukc |   Manchester, M13 9PL     |
|      ANALOG : X (0)61 275-4305         |   England                 |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 15:24:55 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FDHD Problems

Does anyone know what causes the FDHD to think a disk is locked when in fact
it's not locked at all? We have a lab with 20 SE/30s and the computers are
beginning to do this frequently. It is sometimes impossible to save a file
to the floppy, since the computer believes the disk is locked. Usually eject-
ing the disk and re-inserting it does the trick, but lately even that won't
work.

Thanks for any suggestions...

University of Arizona Graduate Mac Lab

------------------------------

Date: 04 DEC 90 20:00:43 CDT
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Blues

Just a quick note to say thanks to all who responded to my recent questions
about HD operations.
The overwelming responce to my question about a good formatting/utility
package was LaCie's Silver Lining.  Thought I'd pass that along--

RON RUSHING--Supervisor, Education Media Center S.F.A. University
 Nacogdoches, TX  75962 <RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 10:49:56 CST
From: cordwell@sesca1.sinet.slb.com (Neil Cordwell - Schlumberger, St. Etienne, France)
Subject: Interfacing Disk Drives from a MicroVAX to a Mac

Hello everyone,
I have recently aquired a couple of 70Mb disks from a MicroVAX, and would like
to add these to my MacII.  I only have the bare drive, and no interface board.
The disks are manufactured by MICROPOLIS (written MICROP<omega>LIS) who are
in Chatsworth CA 91311.

The only information that I have is the model and part number written on the
drive itself:
        Model Number    1325D
        Part Number     900526-01-3G

1) Does anyone out there know anything about these disks?
2) Can I interface them to my Mac (I know that I will probably need an
   interface card)?
3) Can someone supply the full address of this company, with their phone and
  fax numbers if possible.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out, and I will send a
summary to the list.

Regards,

Neil Cordwell

Schlumberger Technologies               CORDWELL@SESCA1.SDR.SLB.COM
34 rue necker,                          Tel:    (33) 77 33 00 07
42028 Saint Etienne                     Fax:    (33) 77 33 84 59
FRANCE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 13:56:57 CST
From: janus@ux.acs.umn.edu
Subject: I want a translating DA

I wonder if anyone knows of a shell for a two language
translating dictionary that could be used as a DA.  Each
user (or a clever and ambitious company) would have to
supply the entry words.

Here's what I would like under ideal conditions:
1) call the DA;
2) enter the English (or foreign) word
3) the translation (better yet, choice of translations)
   appears in  a dialog box;
4) the user can double-click on the desired word (or phrase)
   and have the word entered in the application she or he is
   using.

Easy, huh?  Not for a feeble non-programmer like me.  Any leads....please?

      {\~/}
Louis Janus
Scandinavian Dept
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA

------------------------------

Date: 04 DEC 90 19:56:18 CDT
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MODIFYING LW DRIVER ??

I've been reading several postings that tell how to modify the LW driver
(v6.0x) to cause the B&W radio button to become the default.  I
somewhat reluctantly tried ResEdit to apply the changes--and it worked !
Now that i"ve gotten a bit braver, perhaps there is a way to
remove that annoying dialog that reminds me to check the
page setup because I've choosen a different type of printer.  I have been
getting real tired of seeing and answering this dialog everytime I switch
>From my IW to the LW printers.
SUggestions ??  (other than throw out the IW..:-))
Thanks-as usual.

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 23:07:08 EST
From: kim <DD01007%MUSICA.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: pbmplus toolkit for mac?

Does anyone know if there is a Macintosh version of the pbm plus
toolkit ?
pbm stands for portable bitmap, and the pbm plus toolkit is
supposedly a set of UNIX programs to convert all sorts of graphics
formats to pbm format and vice versa.
I've heard that there is a version of the toolkit for the Amiga.

Thanks.

dd01007@musica.mcgill.ca or dd01007@mcgilla

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 15:14:28 EST
From: jq4@umail.umd.edu
Subject: PD-ROM

I asked a while ago about experiences with PD disks for CD-ROM. I had strong
recommendations for Berkeley MUG, Boston Computer Society and  Educorp. One
respondent suggested that the update rate was to slow to justify the CD route
compared to FTP, user groups etc. I guess this depends on location and
facilities.
I couldn't get through to BCS, but I'm told they offer regular upgrades - noone
else does. Wayzata offer a cheaper GEMS of PD disk, see MacZone or Mac
Connection ads in the usual mags for details. I haven't got any info.
Contacts and Prices
BMUG  (708/665-6319), $100
BCS  (617/625-7080)  $115
Educorp 1-800-8439497 $199
Recent MacWorld offered a disk of Hyperstacks from their 1989 contest for $15.
it's well worth getting, though mostly demoware.Call 1-800-343-0278. Also of
possible interest is the Bureau of Electronic Publishing. As the name might
suggest, its lists are dominated by teh grey world of MS-DOS, but there is some
Mac stuff.
Question - Does Apple's adherence to the High Sierra format (whatever that is)
means that Apple CD drives can read some (all) MS-DOS discs? Any info appreciated.

Best wishes

John Q.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 10:27 A
From: <VJAL2314%DS0RUS54.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PICASSO Animation using Versaterm

TO: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

SUBJECT: PICASSO Animation from Versaterm

Could you please post the following question:

I am trying to animate data plots from the PICASSO graphics
package under VAX/VMS. The package produces static plots, which I
display under the Tektronix 4014 emulation mode of Versaterm 3.20.

My idea is to capture individual screens on the Mac, store (and
compress ?) them, and later play them back for a smooth animation.
Ideally, the setup should be able to initiate screen captures on the
Mac from the VMS program, e.g. through special 'command characters' that
are filtered before reaching Versaterm.

Has anybody out there experience with this, or are there any commercial
packages that I might not be aware of ? I have seen a program like this
on an Atari, so why shouln't this be possible on the Macintosh.

Thank you for your answers.

********************** I R S ***********************
F. Pohlemann          Institut fuer Raumfahrtsysteme
                   University of Stuttgart - Germany
JNET/PROFS/BITNET: vjal2314@ds0rus54.earn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 12:16:56 CDT
From: Peter Gerhardstein <gerhard@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: PICT resources

Greetings

I need some help with Think C code.  I have an application (written in the lab)
that uses PICT files generated by CricketDraw in a psychophysics experimental
setup.  I now want to use files generated by Illustrator 88 and others as well.
I had no problem converting the Pascal code on V-88 & V-89 of Inside Mac to C,
but now I need to read in Illustrator files, which contain (amoungst other
resources) a PICT RESOURCE.  (The Cricket files are TEXT files, not resources).
It should be easy to open a PICT resource and read it in with DrawPicture, then
write it out to a file (or just read a PICT resource into a BitMap or PixMap,
which is what the app uses), but I cannot seem to get it to work.  If anyone
can give me a suggestion, I'd appreciate it much.  (If this is too vague, let
me know and I'll put up some specific code and say where I've gotten lost).
Thanks much!

Peter C Gerhardstein              INTERNET1: gerhard@sunserver.psych.umn.edu
Image Understanding Laboratory    INTERNET2: eqz6627@vx.acs.umn.edu
U of Minnesota, Psychology           BITNET: eqz6627@umnacvx.bitnet
(612) 626-1551                   Disclaimer: The usual... (I am not my employer)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 15:48:09 PST
From: managan#robert#a%nersc.mfenet@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Printer's for the Macintosh

I recently bought a Mac IIsi for use at home and am looking for a printer.
Of course, I would love to have a laser printer but they are still too
expensive for what is left of my budget.  I would like to hear about the
alternatives that exist to the ImageWriter.  In particular, how do 24 pin
printers and/or ink jet printers compare to it in terms of speed, qualtiy
of output, compatibility with ATM, etc.  In other words, are there any
hidden gotcha's associated with these printers.  MacUser speaks highly of
them but I wanted to hear from people who have used them for day to day work.

As usual, if there is response and interest I will summarize the results.

Thanks,
Rob Managan
managan@nersc.mfenet@nersc.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 08:11:01 EET
From: SO-JAM%finou.oulu.fi@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: PROBLEMS WITH BACKFAX

WE BADLY NEED HELP||||
Here is a trouble report dated as far back as May 1990 and this has so
far not been answered satisfactorily by the software/hardware
manufacturers or their Finnish agents.
Modem Version ^ (ATI): BackFAX Version v1.05cr (1.11cr now updated
to 1.17) Mailserver II version 2.00.14 Mfg and Model of Fax Machine
modem failed with CIRCUIT RESEARCH CORPORATION FLEXFAX 9624
COMPUTER CONFIGURATION
Mac IIcx: System Version 6.0.3 updated to 6.0.5
INITS in the System Black Box, Easy Access, Fax INIT, One Timer TM,
Responder, Softtalk, TOPS, SUN Shield INIT
Amount of available memory after application running 3MB (Total 8 MB)
Printer Model Laserwriter NT Driver 5.2
Character Set Suomi (Finnish Version)
Multifinder Yes
Major Problems
1. It is not possible to send out more than one fax at a time without
having to reboot the Mac. The error indicated on trying to send the
second fax is 'CANNOT OPEN PRINTER'.
2. Faxes stored in the IN and OUT boxes, although received correctly
are perpendicular to the direction of receipt instead of the normal
upright position. They print out, if we are lucky, in the correct
direction.
3. Even if we specify the time from 1200 pm to 1200 am in the address
file, this information is not retained. The pm/am box always opens
in a garbled format and the click box is invisible till we click
in it.
4. The memory seems to run out easily and we get a "CANNOT PRINT -
OUT OF MEMORY' dialog even with just two pages of text.

The manufacturers first told us it was due to INITS and we removed
the suggested ones with no avail. Then they told us it was the ROM
and this has been replaced twice - again to no avail. Then they
told us it was the software and we have received - after much
persuasion, two upgrades, and this also is of no use. The problems
persist and the suppliers do not respond to telephone calls or fax
messages for help. WILL SOMEBODY HELP US.

I am not a member of this group so kindly e-mail directly to me and
I will summarise and post the summary to the net.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

JACOB MATTHAN e-mail address so-jam@finou.oulu.fi
CHIEF ENGINEER, MICROELECTRONICS LABORATORY, UNIVERSITY OF OULU
OULU, FINLAND.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 22:34:39 CST
From: Kenneth B. Kirksey <kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu>
Subject: SE Accelerators

Hola,
	A magazine that I do some consulting for is getting ready to upgrade
two SEs.  The SEs are currently using Ehman full page displays, and they want
to keep these.  If you've purchased or are using an '030 accelerator, could
you please send me e-mail telling me what your experience has been with it.
I need to know about cost, memory requirements, incompatiblities, etc.  Any
help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

					Ken

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Ken Kirksey               | "It's a small world, and it smells funny,      |
| Auburn University         |  I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money."  |
| kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu   |                          -Andrew Eldritch      |
|                           |                           The Sisters of Mercy |
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 10:25:24 +0200
From: essaid%domino.u-strasbg.fr@ricevm1.rice.edu (E. Khamboubi)
Subject: Search for user Soft 3D

	I'm interested in a using Soft 3D, exchange information and

  comments about.

	Please email to me : 		essaid@domino.u-strasbg.fr

		Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 09:58 MST
From: RIBrown%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Spreadsheet Source Code

I am looking for some source code for a simple spreadsheet style
application.  I would prefer the code in C, since I use Think C, but
will take Pascal or Assembly.  I know you can throw together a quick &
dirty version with the list manager but I am looking for something a
little more flexible.

Thanks in advance...RIB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 12:39 EST
From: "Bill Doemel, Director of Computer Services" <DOEMELB%Wabash.Bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Stable system for Hypercard 2.0

Date sent:  4-DEC-1990 12:35:39

GORDON DOHLE writes the following in Info-Mac Digest V8 #198:
System 6.05 gave me the same problems. Apparently it was issued only to
take care of the portable and is unstable. With 6.04, you have a very
stable system.I use 6.04 now and hve no problems with my 45meg removable.
-----------------
I agree, BUT Hypercard 2.0 requires System 6.05+.  If System 6.0.7 is as
buggy as everyone suggests and System 6.0.5 is also unstable, does this
mean that those of us excited about using Hypercard must turn to 6.0.6?

Bill
Bill Doemel                         Office: (317)-364-4311
Director of Computer Services       BitNET: DoemelB@Wabash.BITNET
Wabash College                      AppleLink: U0846
Crawfordsville, IN 47933

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 23:54:57 CST
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: Telnet from Mac to Iris problem

I wonder whether anyone has encountered, figured out, and/or resolved the
problem with using arrow keys as cursor keys when using NCSA Telnet 2.3
to connect to Iris.  If this matters, GatorBox is used as a bridge between
AppleTalk and Ethernet.  Somebody suggested to me that the problem may be
related to the escape sequencs generated by the cursor keys being truncated
(8-bit data truncated to 7-bits).  All we know that they don't work, which
makes remote editing on Iris pain in the neck.  Please, respond directly to
me as this may not be of general interest.

Robert Brenstein
Bitnet:  GA0095@SIUCVMB
Internet:  GA0095@vmb.cdale.siu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 10:53 EST
From: <JBARON%IUBACS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The Old Mac and the SCSI

Hi everybody, in particular Mr. Chang (who sent in the PsuedoFPU),

I have a "1024KE" (dove 524E) with a small bug:  It doesn't think it's a
Mac Plus.  According to Felix, Prodigy, and SoundCDEV, I have the old ROMS.
Which I don't.  If you can patch an FPU, can you patch a Virtual SCSI port?
I haven't done much programming on the mac (I'm doing UNIX now...oh for a
CHEAP mac "C" and A/UX), so I am not even sure if it is in fact the lack
of a scsi,  it just seems the obvious diagnosis.

Shitsurei Shimashita,
sorry for the inconvenience,

\\\|///
-(.X.)-
  (
 -__-c  Phaedrus
________________
Jeffrey Baron
JBARON@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
"It walks! It talks! It chews gum!..."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 12:42:49 GMT
From: Mike Burton <mike@psychology.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: Three-d rendering program needed

Does anyone know of a program which will perform smooth shading from
a wireframe representation? Either Gouraud or Phong would be fine. I know
of quite a few programs which do the job for small data sets, but I
am working on quite large sets (about 10000 xyz points & 15000 facets -
they are scans of human heads).

Obviously PD would be best, but we do have a budget for the right software.

We use a MacIIcx.

Thanks in advance

Mike Burton, Dept of Psychology, University of Nottingham, UK
mike@psyc.nott.ac.uk
Tel. +44 602 484848 Ext 3191
Fax. +44 602 590339

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 16:28:14 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: virus detection

I am looking for something that will scan floppys when they are inserted to
detect WDEF and nVIR.  This needs to be started automatically (no user command)
completely invisible to the user except for a slight delay and an obvious
message if something is found.  We have a number of users of common machines
and they won't always use a DA.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 7:43:39 EST
From: jeffrey templon <templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: WANTED: INIT/FKEY/?? which will send function key codes

	I am looking for some software which will emulate function keys.
I would think that this would be a dandy job for an FKEY.  I have a
standard Mac SE keyboard (has numeric keypad but not F1, F2 ...) and
am using a program which requires function keys for some operations.

	Please email responses if they are pointers to commercial products,
etc. and I can let others know who want.  If you HAVE a free/share ware
program I suggest you post it here so others can share.

					Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 15:33 EST
From: "James A. Harvey" <IJAH400@indyvax.iupui.edu>
Subject: Wanted: TCP/IP on Macintosh w/TokenTalk NB

We have some adminstrative users with Macintoshes on a token-ring network
(Apple TokenTalk NB cards + MacDFT 327x emulation).  These users also wish
to access our academic TCP/IP network.  At least Telnet with VT100 emulation
is required.  FTP would be nice but isn't mandatory.  Unfortunately, none of
the freeware TCP/IP software packages for the Mac (that I have found) support
the TokenTalk card.

I am searching for the least expensive way to accomodate them, either using
p.d. or commercial software or an external box.  I am assuming that the
TokenTalk card is rather new, since I haven't found much non-Apple software
that supports it.  We have Cisco AGS routers and are already routing IP to
and from the token ring.  The Ciscos also support AppleTalk routing, but
this feature appears to be intended to connect isolated AppleTalk networks
(and support is only mentioned for Ethernet and serial interfaces in the
current release).

Any ideas or pointers to sources of information would be greatly appreciated.
Please CC: to one of the addresses below and I will summarize.  Thanks...

Jim Harvey, Senior Analyst/Programmer       Internet: IJAH400@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
IUPUI Computing Services, DEC Systems Group      UUCP: {...}!iuvax!ivax!ijah400
Indianapolis, IN  (317)274-0747  FAX:(317)274-0776    BITNET:   IJAH400@INDYVAX

End of Info-Mac Digest