Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  6 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 203

Today's Topics:

      [*] GooPanel 1.0a2
      [*] Mac Molecule v1.0
      [*] Star Atlas v-0.06b1
      A/Ux and X Window System
      Animation of Mainframe-generated graphics
      Another Netter's Dinner at January SF MacWorld
      AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
      Carol Stack - The Final Chapter
      Diamond file compression
      FDHD "locked disk" problem
      HyperCard -- setting the volume
      IBM 1600 BPI tape reader
      Increasing network performance
      ISO 9660, High Sierra, and Apple (was Re: PD-ROM)
      Laserwriter II NTX Upgrade Success
      Mac -> TV cable
      Macintosh Panels and Panes
      MacMS User's Guide now available
      Mandlezot 3.0
      Physical security for Mac mice
      problem??
      PS to PICT
      setting quotas on AppleShare server
      Stable system for Hypercard 2.0
      tokenRing & Virtual
      virus detection

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 18:55:08 GMT-0500
From: billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt)
Subject: [*] GooPanel 1.0a2

This is the second public release (v1.0a2) of GooPanel, an
application which fulfills the function of Apple's Control
Panel DA.  It works much faster because it does not have to
build a list of cdevs.  It also allows you to open many cdevs
at once.  Finally, it also includes an INIT which modifies
the Finder (under System 6.0.4, 6.0.5 or 6.0.7) so that when
a cdev is double-clicked, GooPanel is launched and the cdev
is opened, or if GooPanel is already running the cdev is
opened within GooPanel.

Give it a try.  I find it much more convenient than Apple's
DA (especially for quick depth-switches on your monitors, or
mounting disks with SCSI Probe).  It works correctly with
every cdev I've tried except MacEnvy and Apple's Keyboard cdev.

This program is free.
Steve Bollinger
billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/goo-panel-10a2.hqx; 99K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 90 20:41 MST
From: JAHNKE%JSBACH@arizona.edu
Subject: [*] Mac Molecule v1.0

MacMolecule is a 3D Space Filling program, which will take text
files with atomic coordinates and render a 3d model which can
be manipulated in real time. We are releasing this version to
get feedback on further updates.

Updates (probably) include:
     Ball and Stick
     Wire Frame
     Beta Sheets
     Interactive Building of Molecules
     Online Editor of Molecule Files
     HyperCard xWindow to display Molecules
     Support of entire Macintosh Family

We are open for comments please read instructions to see who
to contact and how.

Equipment currently needed:
     Macintosh with 8 bit color and Math co-processor.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mac-molecule-part1.hqx; 222K
             /info-mac/app/mac-molecule-part2.hqx; 198K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 Nov 90 05:36 CST
From: Youhei Morita (Univ. of Tsukuba) <MORITA%FNAL.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu>
Subject: [*] Star Atlas v-0.06b1

     Thank you for all those who had kindly responded to my query of
reverting menu bar and a PD star catalog.  Here is what you can get in
return.

     This program draws a map of a region of the sky.  Unlike the preceding
application StarChart (*), it conforms to the Apple standard menu system
with reverted black menu bar.  (Otherwise you will find the white menu
very disturbing...)  It runs with MultiFinder.  I confirmed it runs on
MacPlus, SE, SE/30 and II with System 6.0.2 or later.

     I wrote this program as a first practice of using Macintosh Toolbox
routines.  It can be freely distributed as long as *you* don't make money
out of it.  Certain portion of the copyright of this software belongs to
Symantec Corp.  Future plan is to calculate and display the planets and
comets at any given date and time.  Please send your comments and
suggestions (no support guaranteed though) to:

     morita@jpnkekvx         (Bitnet)
     morita@fnal.fnal.gov    (Internet)

Enjoy!

-----
(*) StarChart is written by David Palmer and is available on Info-mac
    archives.

$!+++
 Youhei Morita    ( C D F )        High Energy Physics Lab, Univ. of Tsukuba
 HEPnet: UTKBP::MORITA                          Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305, JAPAN
 Bitnet: MORITA@JPNKEKVX (or MORITA@FNAL)                Phone: 0298-53-4270
 JUNET:  morita@kekvax.kek.ac.jp                         FAX:   0298-52-5184
$!---

[Archived as /info-mac/app/star-atlas-06b1.hqx; 93K]

------------------------------

Date: 5 DEC 90 16:46:21.83-GMT
From: RAYNAUD%FRESE51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: A/Ux and X Window System

  I plan to buy A/UX 2.0 on a CD-ROM, but I was wondering how much of
X Window I will get for it. I have seen that there is an option for
X Window, but I can't find exactly what it is, and on what media it would
fit. I have not enough room on my hard disk to install all A/Ux and
X Window, so that's the reason why I buy it on a CD-ROM.

  So, I have two questions :

1) how much of X Window is there with the standard A/Ux 2.0 distribution ?
   Is there a X Window server ?

2) what is the optional X Window for A/Ux ? Only libraries (which can be
   obtained from MIT), or the whol X Window with client/server, binaries...?

Alain Raynaud (Raynaud@frese51.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 10:51:11 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Animation of Mainframe-generated graphics

I have done some animations using mainframe-generated graphics
captured by VersaTerm. I will quickly summarize what I remember of
what I did (I don't have time right now to go back and unearth the
gory details):

VersaTerm is capable of storing the Tektronix-style graphics it
draws as PICT files. There is a switch in the Page Setup dialog
box that permits the capture-to-file when VersaTerm receives a
Tektronix hard-copy (print) request code from the mainframe. You
can specify a file-name prefix; each request is stored with the
filename formed by the prefix and a serial number (0001, 0002,
etc.) If you can get your mainframe program to generate the
Tektronix hard-copy request code automatically, this enables you
to create a set of PICT files (one per frame) with ordered
file-names. So far so good.

I used MacroMind Director to animate the frames. MMD can import
the frames one-at-a-time, but it's a lot of mousing. Instead, I
used a little utility called ScrapMaker to load the PICTs into a
scrapbook-type file, then imported the scrapbook with one MMD
command.

ScrapMaker was shipped with The Curator (I think), a commercial
keep-track-of-your-clip-art product. To the best of my knowledge,
it is NOT public domain or shareware. There may be a comparable
product that is (relatively) free.

MacroMind Director is expensive (like $400 mail-order). It's a
great product, with all the controls you want to make a really
nice presentation (with scrolling credits, fades/wipes/dissolves,
the whole shot), but it may be overkill for you. I don't know of a
cheap animator.

I hope this helps. It's been a while since I did this work, and I
can't vouch for the completeness of this description, but the
general idea works.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 10:45:47 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Another Netter's Dinner at January SF MacWorld

Dave Platt reminded me that it is almost time for MacWorld (Jan 10-13) and so
I should start organizing the Netter's Dinner at the best Hunan place in SF.
We had almost 60 people last year and a lot of fun.

Well, I have some trouble this year.  I've got a ski vacation in Lake Tahoe
planned for that weekend. That means that I am not able to organize a dinner
for Friday or Saturday nights, the most popular night for this event.

That means 1 of 2 things:
	1)  We have dinner on Thursday.  This is my favorite choice since I
	    would get to go.
	2)  Someone else does all the work involved. I might be talked into
	    advising.  This would mean a Friday or Saturday night dinner.

Being in a democratic nation, I place it up for a vote.  Email me your
requests.  Remember, a vote for #2 requires that someone else does the work
and no one has volunteered, so volunteers should speak up.  A vote for #1
means that it will cost about $15 a head and will be delicious (although one
fellow from Holland last year was kind of surprised how hot it was - Hunan is
Chinese for HOT!!!!).  We shall try to have a more organized introduction
period so that everyone gets to meet one another this year.  Not easy with 60
people but we have to try.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 90 21:22:15 GMT
From: shoemake@apple.com (Mike Shoemaker)
Subject: AppleShare PC & Ethernet?

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Date    12/4/90
>Subject AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
>>From    Kee Nethery
>To  info-mac

>        Reply to:   AppleShare PC & Ethernet?
>Apple DevHotline said this compatibility question was a bit beyond their
>knowledge and MacDTS said they don't handle these kind of issues.

>--- Flame On ---
>Seems like Apple Support is yet another oxymoron.  Basically, Apple seems to
>take the position that their AppleShare PC software is so valuable that all
>DOS hardware and software venders, all DOS ethernet card venders, and all DOS
>system software venders should have tested for compatibility with Apple's DOS
>software made sure that their products worked with Apple's software.
[...]

The information you saw about who's vendor cards to use can't possibly be
several years old since until August 1989 we only supported one card -- ours.

The list of supported cards has not changed since the introduction of the
AppleShare PC 2.0.  The EtherLink II card is supported by the software.  As to
whether Apple has system configurations exactly matching yours and has tested
with them; the answer is of course not.

Not being a spokesman for 3Com, I can't answer your questions about EtherLink
II cards.  To my knowledge, one EtherLink II card is the same as any other.

The EtherLink II card and AppleShare PC have been tested with Desqview, QEMM
4.0, and Compaq DOS 3.31. It was not tested with the Phar Lap DOS extender;
this does not mean that nobody has ever tried it, it just means that the DOS
extender was not on the list of products on the test plan for the AppleShare
PC product.

So, I guess the bottom line answer to your question about testing the software
yourself is ; YES.  How could the answer possibly be different given the
thousands of different types of clones, and hundreds of thousands of DOS
programs?

Mike Shoemaker
Apple Computer, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 10:32:35 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Carol Stack - The Final Chapter

I must apologize to everyone who tried to download the Carol Stack that I
posted. I made a few mistakes and was bitten by an incompatible XFCN (which I
didn't write).  Thanks to Doug Eernisse for the tip!  The file should now be
up to date on Sumex and WILL WORK FOR ALL HYPERCARDS. It is stuffed with 1.5.1
and binhexed.  Try it and PLEASE DON'T SEND ME ANY MORE EMAIL!

Merry Christmas, and remember, just say Ho!

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 09:51:20 CST
From: Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY%TRINITY.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Diamond file compression

I think this has been asked before, but I'll try again...

Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of the Demo Version of the Diamond
file compression utility?  My copy has expired, leaving me with some compressed
files that I cannot uncompress.  If not the Demo Version, is there at least a
program that will uncompress files that have been previously compressed?
Apparently the program has been removed from the sumex archives.

FLAME_ON!
I think that it is completely ridiculous for a company to distribute a demo
version that seems to be fully functional, does everything it says it will,
then all of a sudden refuses to function!  Luckily, I had backups of almost all
of the data I compressed, so when the program stopped working a few months ago,
I was not too concerned.  However, I recently needed a file that had been comp-
ressed that I did not have a backup for.  If I had known that the program would
stop working like it did, I never would have used it!
FLAME_OFF!

If anyone has any information regarding this program, please e-mail to me
directly.  Thanks.

Greg Wimpey
gwimpey@trinity.bitnet
Student, Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 14:54 GMT
From: <LANKTON%COLOLASP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FDHD "locked disk" problem

date: 12/05/90
from: Mark Lankton (Lankton@COLOLASP, ZODIAC::Lankton)
all about: FDHD "locked" disk problem

Steve Shankman writes:

>Does anyone know what causes the FDHD to think a disk is locked
>when in fact it's not locked at all?

The little feeler in FDHD drives that senses whether or not
the write-protect tab on the floppy disk is in "writable" position
can get itself out of adjustment. Obviously this should be
repaired as soon as it's handy, but putting a piece of tape
on the write-protect tab (to add a little thickness) will persuade
the FDHD that you really do intend the disk to be unlocked.

Mark Lankton
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
University of Colorado

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  5 Dec 1990 22:48:45.51 MST
From: <2wsa070%gc.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (PHYDEAUX)
Subject: HyperCard -- setting the volume

Is there a way to set the volume using HyperTalk?

thanks,

--
LeRoy Smith
Instructional Associate

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 11:43:06 +0100
From: Jan Engelen <FHEDA02%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IBM 1600 BPI tape reader

Hello,
I would like to read directly IBM mainframe tapes (1600 bpi) written in
EBCDIC on a device connected to a Macintosh (or a PC).
Can anyone point me a manufacturer for this type of apparatus?
Thanks
J. Engelen
FHEDA02@CC1.KULEUVEN.AC.BE (Internet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 16:07 CDT
From: FILS%ALISUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Increasing network performance

Hello,
        I have a question concerning network speed.  I work in an office with
two Mac SE's and a Mac II.  These computers are TOPS'ed together and the
primary activity over the net is accessing Filemaker Pro databases.  The Mac II
runs multifinder, has 5 megs of RAM and system 6.0.4.  The SE's have 2.5 megs,
do not run multifinder and also system 6.0.4.  We would like to increase the
speed at which the databases run when opened on the SE's.  If anyone has
experience with a similar set-up and has ideas on how to increase the speed I
would love to hear them.  Different types of networks other than appletalk,
different software than TOPs, accelerator cards, networks widgets or any idea
would be welcome.  The office really wants to up the speed since we are often
doing searches for people waiting on the phone.

Thanks for any help or ideas, I would also be interested in specific companys
and cost if you have that info. handy as well.

Please respond to my email account:  FILS@ALISUVAX.BITNET
Doug Fils
Ames Lab

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 90 14:51:40 GMT
From: blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel)
Subject: ISO 9660, High Sierra, and Apple (was Re: PD-ROM)

Someone (John Q.) writes:
>Question - Does Apple's adherence to the High Sierra format (whatever
>that is) means that Apple CD drives can read some (all) MS-DOS discs?
>Any info appreciated.

High Sierra is a preliminary description of a format that is now an
international standard (ISO 9660).  Apple supports volumes formatted in
High Sierra, ISO 9660, or HFS (the native Macintosh file system.)

Most (but not all) MS-DOS CD-ROM discs are in either High Sierra or ISO
9660 format.  Most (but not all) of these discs are *correctly*
formatted in ISO 9660 or High Sierra format.  An example of a disc that
isn't correctly formatted is Microsoft Bookshelf; they forgot to
include the directory tree in most-significant-byte-first order, making
the disc readable only on least-significant-byte-first machines.  (I
have no idea if this has been corrected on subsequent pressings of the
CD-ROM, or even if there *have* been subesquent pressings of the
CD-ROM.)

Given all the above, then yes, a Macintosh or Apple IIgs can read
(some/almost all) MS-DOS discs.  Whether it can make sense of what it
reads is application and data specific.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 11:29:39 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Laserwriter II NTX Upgrade Success

I just upgraded my Laserwriter II NTX from 2 MB of memory to 5 MB of memory
and have received the benefit of a substantial speed increase.  I bought 4
1-Meg SIMMs from the Chip Merchant and installed them in under 5 minutes. It
turns out that the FX and NTX SIMMs are the same.  They cost $157.  If your
NTX seems too slow, upgrade it.  It really does make a difference in
everything we do.  Text, bitmaps, eps graphics, all of it is faster.  Complex
Pagemaker documents now print with no complaints where they used to hang.
I am pleased.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 10:50:59 est
From: Rocky Olive <olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com>
Subject: Mac -> TV cable

I'm wondering how to drive my Mac's video signal to a standard Television.
I don't know much about this (is this where NTSC comes in to play?), so no
advice offered is too "low-level".  Any explanations as to how to accomplish
this is welcome.  If response is sufficient, I'll summarize to the net.

(I have a Mac IIcx with an Apple 640x480 8-bit video card).

Thanks.
------------------------         ----------------------------------------
.Rockford L. Olive......         DG UNIX NET: olive@apxtg03
..Data General Corp.....         INTERNET: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com
...Technology  Drive....         AMERICA ONLINE: Rocky O
....Apex,  NC   27502...         PRODIGY: DSDG94A
.....919/362-4800x5392..         COMPUSERVE: 72500,2345
......919/362-4914 home.         SCREAMNET: Yo, Rock!
------------------------	 -----------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 14:29:17 +0100
From: Lars.Gislen@teorfys.lu.se
Subject: Macintosh Panels and Panes

I have got this very helpful answer to my question on how to
split a window.

>Inside Mac describes panels and panes as a suggestion for a
>user interface.  The reason that it does not tell you how
>to implement panes and panels is because it does not provide
>any ready-made tools to accomplish the task.  In a nutshell
>if you want to do it, you have to do it yourself.
>
>Some more constructive suggestions:
>A special WDEF will not help.  More accurately it could help
>but is ill advised.  You can create panels in a special WDEF
>by returning special values in response to a wHit message.
>Depending on your version of the System and your version of
>the ROMS, this may or may not work.  In other words, if you
>opt to create panels (this is the equivalent of having
>FindWindow return extra values) your application might not
>work with future Macintoshes or Operating Systems.

>The best way to implement panels is in your application itself.
>window, your application should figure out which "panel" was
>clicked on.  This is easy to implement--simply use PtInRect.
>Likewise when drawing to a panel, simply set the clipping
>region so that no drawing will occur outside the panel.  If
>what you really want to implement is "panes" as described in
>Inside Mac (ie split bars), a little more work is involved.
>In this case, your application needs to test for clicks inside
>a "split bar".  To do this, make sure that when you create
>a scroll bar, room on the screen is left for the split bar.
>When there is a click on the split bar, you can use DragGrayRgn
>to move a line representing where the split will occur.  If
>the user does split the screen, you will need to create a
>new scroll bar and resize the existing scroll bar so that
>each of the panes will be independently scrollable.  Your
>application will have to keep track of the following:
>where the split is (two, horiz and vert), and up to four
>scroll bars.  To make the task a little easier, you only need
>one drawing procedure.  When drawing to a pane that was
>created using a split bar, simply set the clipping region and
>then draw as if there where no splits.
>
>I hope this helps.

>Jeff Alexander -- jsa@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu
>The opinions expressed are my own and have no connection with
>Northeastern University.

Thanks for your the help!!

Lars Gislen, Dept. of Theoretical Physics, Lund, Sweden

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 1990 16:57:52 PST
From: Torsten Heycke <heycke@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacMS User's Guide now available

The MacMS User's Guide is now available via anonymous ftp from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu as:

imap/macMS/macMS-users-guide.Hqx

Any comments should be sent to: macms@sumex.

Thanks,

Torsten

-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  5 Dec 90 12:34:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Thomas Edgar Nichols <tn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Mandlezot 3.0

Mandlezot 3.0 allows you to write "plug-in" modules that will let you
play with virtually any iterative graphical process.  Well I was really
excited to see this new feature, but all I really wanted was the
abilitiy to experiment with other functions iterated in the same fashion
as the Mandlebrot equation.  That is, I would like to try iterating Zn+1
= sin(Zn) + C, (for each C in a region on complex plane) or other stuff
of this form.  BUT, I simply don't have the time to sit down and learn
the interface that the modules are written in.

THE POINT
If anyone out there in netland writes a module that iterates a function
like this, and the function is isolated so another person could change
it with out too much trouble, I would OH-SO apprechiate it if they would
post it or send me a copy.

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 16:26 CST
From: Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL%uwrf.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Physical security for Mac mice

Hello,

We are installing a new Mac lab on campus for general access student computing,
and are debating about what to do about physical security for the mice.  We
will be securing the CPU's and monitors using the built-in security hole and
clip-in loops.  For this, we will use kits made by the Grimes company,
((714) 671-3931).

We don't know how to secure the mice.  How can they be secured?  Do they
need to be secured?  It seems to us that there will be a problem with theft.
How have you handled this?  Have you lost many mice?  Is it worth the trouble
to secure them?  Our lab will be unsupervised much of the time, so we think
it would be wise to secure them.

Any ideas, insights, or information about securing mice would be much apprec-
iated.

Thanks for your help.

Dan Lunderville                             Bitnet:     ACS_DANL@UWRF
Academic Computing Center                   AppleLink:  U0095
University of Wisconsin - River Falls       Telephone:  (715) 425-3583
River Falls, WI  54022

------------------------------

Date: WED DEC 05, 1990 08.51.55 EST
From: "Phil Williams" <PMW0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: problem??

I have had so much success in getting problems solved thru the net
latly that I figure my latest ones should be no problema.  Here they
are:

I have a mac IIsi with Pyro screen saver installed.  For the first
couple of days I had no problems but lately it hesitates.  I've tried
reconfiguring the modules but to no avail, what gives.

I have also noticed that the Finder Startup icon is no longer the
computer it started out to be.  Now it's only a blank document.

I noticed both these things at the same time.  Could they be related?
Any help would be appreciated.

                                Phil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 1990 09:08:22 EST
From: kpb@uengr.calvin.edu (Karl Brummel)
Subject: PS to PICT

Does anyone know of a program that will convert a raw PostScript file to a
more standard format?  I don't think Adobe Illustrator will do it, and I don't
know about Aldus Freehand.  We need to edit this file, so it would be nice if
it didn't make just one `grouped' object, but that will be OK if that's the
best that's out there.  The picture we are working with is written in the
PostScript language, as opposed to EPSF.
Please mail directly to me and I will summarize if desired.  Thanks in
advance.

                        Karl Brummel (kpb@calvin.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 1990 14:14 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: setting quotas on AppleShare server

There must be hundreds of AppleShare administrators out there, so here's a
question just for YOU...could you please name and comment on some third
party software that allows network administrators to limit the number of
concurrently-running applications?  For example, we only purchased 20
copies of PageMaker, and I don't want 45 users running the program at the
same time!  There must be a package that was written to prevent this from
happeneing over AppleShare.  Thanks in advance.
Joy Aberback
or commonly known as JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 13:20:08 -0500
From: Doug Larrick <doug@end.tufts.edu>
Subject: Stable system for Hypercard 2.0

>Hypercard 2.0 requires System 6.05+.  If System 6.0.7 is as
>buggy as everyone suggests and System 6.0.5 is also unstable, does this
>mean that those of us excited about using Hypercard must turn to 6.0.6?
>
>Bill

I have had *no* problems whatsoever with System 6.0.7 on my Mac SE, and have
had assurances from inside Apple (technical folks) that 6.0.7 is even more
stable than the venerable 6.0.4.

It is possible that some common INIT or application has problems with 6.0.7,
but the ones I use do not seem to.  Please note that I do not use any Microsoft
products.  If anyone has repeatable problems with 6.0.7, please tell the rest
of us!

-Doug Larrick
doug@end.tufts.edu (internet)
dlarrick@tufts (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 16:54:22 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: tokenRing & Virtual

Is there a known conflict between the TokenRing drivers and Virtual?
Is there any resolution?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 11:10:45 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL%VMTECQRO.qro.itesm.mx@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: virus detection

On Tue, 4 Dec 90 16:28:14 PST Doug Hardie said:
>I am looking for something that will scan floppys when they are inserted to
>detect WDEF and nVIR.

Symantec's SAM has an INIT you install which does just that. However, I
don't think the version currently in the market will detect the latest
flavors of Mac virus (the new ZUC and MDEF).

Another option would be to run the machine(s) in Multifinder and have
Disinfectant as a Startup application. It can be configured to check all
inserted disks in the background, and warn when viruses are found.
Naturally, for ease of operation, you'd have to SCAN the incoming disks,
instead of disinfecting them: otherwise, Disinfectant would spit out
any write-protected disk and ask that it be unprotected, which would be
confusing to an uninformed user.

I would also suggest running Jeff Shulman's Virus Detective DA in the
background, but then you specified no DA's....

Juan Courcoul
Monterrey Tech
Mexico

End of Info-Mac Digest