Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/13/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 12 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 208

Today's Topics:

      [*] DepthGauge 2.01
      [*] Finder Sounds 1.3
      [*] PCB cad
      [*] SwitchBeep 1.5.1
      A 'new feature' in 6.0.7!
      A 24-bit Pict
      After Dark Santa??
      Apple CD-ROM drive from DOS response
      Downloading Postscript fonts to disk
      FAX Modem Query
      Hello again
      IBM Laser Printer
      Igor demo available via ftp anonymous
      networking with a fastpath
      New Archive Site for Igor Users
      Query re French educational/adventure software.
      Release dates
      software for Humane Shelters, Dentists
      text editor
      Water Priests

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 15:56:14 PST
From: Tom Johnson <tj@cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: [*] DepthGauge 2.01

This is the final Beta release of a handy little cdev written
by Dan Segel and myself to make life a little bit easier for
those of us with color displays (especially 24bit displays) who
hate using the Control Panel all of the time.    DepthGauge
places a small number up in the menu bar which indicates the
current pixel depth setting, ie:  1 bit, 8 bit, 24 bit, and
so on.  It also provides a pulldown menu which allows you to
change the current bit depth setting without having to go to
the bother of using the Control Panel. It does require the
System Software 6.0.5 or later to operate.

DepthGauge has been tested on a large variety of configurations
and seems to be entirely stable so we are releasing it to the
general public for final widespread testing.

Although DepthGauge is free, it is copyrighted.  You can pretty
much do anything you want with it as long as you don't sell
it or distribute modified copies.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions just email
tj@cs.ucla.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/depth-gauge.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 1990 23:20 EST
From: Greg Smith <SMITH@coral.bucknell.edu>
Subject: [*] Finder Sounds 1.3

Announcing Finder Sounds 1.3!  Since the Macintosh System Software version
6.0.4 came out, the Finder has had the undocumented ability to play sounds
corresponding to various events.  Such events include opening and closing
windows, creating and deleting files, and even modifying windows.  All you
really need to take advantage of this feature is a piece of code.  Drag
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config to your system folder and reboot.
You will then have a sonic Finder!

Finder Sounds requires System 6.0.4 or later.  No earlier versions of the
Finder and System provide the hooks that make this package possible.  It
has been tested successfully using a Macintosh II, IIx, IIsi, IIcx, IIci,
IIfx, SE/30, Plus, SE, Classic and Portable.  It should also be compatible
with any other Macintosh hardware running System 6.0.4 or later.

New Features:

Version 1.3 of the package has a couple of new features to take advantage
of Version 7.0 of the Sound Manager.  This new Sound Manager is now a part
of System 6.0.6 and later.  The big item gained from using the new Sound
Manager is the ability to play multiple sounds simultaneously on machines
with a 68020 or better.  Consequently, if you are running System 6.0.6 or
later on such a machine, you will see an additional checkbox in the
control panel to allow you to play more than one Finder Sound at a time.
Finder Sounds will continue to work on Systems 6.0.4 and 6.0.5, but the
simultaneous sound feature will not be enabled.

The other changes for version 1.3 include changing the Master on/off radio
button to a checkbox as well as adding a checkbox to turn variable pitch
sounds on and off.  (I received quite a few requests for this feature!)
Finally, I have made a few speed improvements for this release by allowing
resources to remain in memory until they are purged by the Memory Manager.
The more memory you allocate to the Finder under MultiFinder, the greater
the number of sounds you should be able to keep in memory.

Finder Sounds is FreeWare.  You are encouraged to redistribute this package
to your heart's content, but you must include the TeachText document,
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config in any redistribution.  You are also
not allowed to charge any money for the Finder Sounds package. While Finder
Sounds is FreeWare, it is not public domain, and I retain the copyright.
You must be running System 6.0.4 or later to use the Finder Sounds package.
Enjoy!

+----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Gregory J. Smith           | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu       |
| Systems Analyst/Postmaster |           smith@coral.bucknell.edu |
| Bucknell Computer Services | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet    |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet     |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801           |
+----------------------------+------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/finder-sounds-13.hqx; 203K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 14:14:46 EDT
From: Carlos Bazzarella <carlos@wateol.waterloo.edu>
Subject: [*] PCB cad

Here are the sources and binaries for a PCB (Printed Circuit Board)
Cad for the Macintosh. It was written by Randy Nevin and published
in Dr. Dobb's last year. The Macintosh version was ported by myself
and in it's current state resembles the DOS version. I've used ThinkC 4.0
on a Mac Plus, but It should run on other models.
I've mailed the following note to people who contacted me wishing
to change the code, but since I didn't have time to make the changes
myself I encourage others to do so.

>Since lots of people are willing to make changes to the code, and
>to avoid millions of different mac versions of the program, I've
>decided to polish the code a bit more before releasing, I'll include
>printer and clipboard support to the first release, future plans
>include integrated editor where you can see and edit 'pcb files'
>before sending to the pcbrouter. What I have in mind is to combine
>the 3 programs (pcbRouter, pcbView, and pcbPrint) in one, with 2
>windows, one for the 'text description' of the circuit and the other
>one with the layout of the board.

The only thing I ask is that, if you change the functionality
of the code, keep me informed, so I can include the changes in
future releases. by the way, this is version 1.0

					Carlos Bazzarella.
					Univ. of Waterloo.
					(carlos@wateol.uwaterloo.ca)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/pcb-cad.hqx; 257K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 16:31:13 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] SwitchBeep 1.5.1

Here is version 1.5.1 of SwitchBeep, a cdev which randomly
selects a new beep every time you boot.  This release includes a
few minor bug fixes for uncommon situations like when 0 or 1
beeps are selected.  It also includes an FKEY so that you can
SwitchBeep on the fly from any application.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/switch-beep-151.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 16:38:02 est
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: A 'new feature' in 6.0.7!

(Well, I'm very proud of myself.)

If you type in the finder you can select files!  I didn't know this,
and I'm pretty sure it isn't documented.  This works at any level of
folders, including the desktop.

Example:
   If you are at the desktop, begin typing the name of your hard
drive.  If the name starts with T, you will select both it and the
trash.  Continue typing the name, and it will select only that file.
Hit return or Command-O to open it, and you can do the same thing.

This is very cool.  I didn't know it did this, but was just playing
and found it out.
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |    getting old"
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 11:38:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Kevin William Ryan <kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: A 24-bit Pict

    I have a need of 24-bit PICT files for a Slidewriter. The problem is
that my data is in the form of seperate red, green, and blue files. I
can transform them into almost any format, but I need to be able to
combine them into a 24-bit image.

    Does anyone know of a tool that I could use for this? I would like
to avoid having to write it myself...

                                                        kwr

Internet: kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 10:56:42 EST
From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: After Dark Santa??

  Can the submitter of the Santa PICS file (MacroMind Director??) tell
me how to go about using it with my After Dark program? Using a Mac II
& I don't have access to MMD & PixelPaint (old version) won't read the
file to change it to a PICT if that's what's required. I'm using After
Dark v 1.1. Do I need the upgrade to AD to use Santa? Please help while
still in 'the season to be jolly' :-)

Mark Edward Toomey
mtoomey@uga.cc.uga.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 1990 16:30:32 EST
From: PHARRIMA@bowdoin.edu
Subject: Apple CD-ROM drive from DOS response

In a recent posting, I asked:

Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com> responded:

>I recently talked with someone who claimed to be selling hardware and
>software for the IBM PC and PS/2 architectures which would allow an
>AppleCD SC drive to work.  The contact was:
>
>	Jack Brown
>	Trantor Systems
>	5415 Randall Place
>	Fremont, CA  94538
>	(415) 770-1400
>	(415) 770-9910

I called Jack, and he quoted me a price of $159 for the T128 adaptor and
drivers which allow an AT-bus DOS machine to control an Apple CD-ROM drive.

Thanks, Brian.

Phil Harriman  -=-  Instructional Resources Coordinator -=- Bowdoin College
               =-=          pharrima@bowdoin.edu        =-=

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 13:04 EDT
From: "Roger Marks, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov>
Subject: Downloading Postscript fonts to disk

When printing Postscript to disk, how does the printer driver know which fonts
to download? I think that it normally excludes the most common ones (Times,
Helvetica, etc.) and includes all others. However, my printer includes a lot
of other built-in fonts which I do not need to download. Is there some way to
alter the LaserWriter driver to prevent these from being written to disk?

Thanks,

				Roger

------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 90 21:10:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: FAX Modem Query

I am interested in purchasing a FAX modem. Does anyone out there have
suggestions about good hardware and software? Recommendations or horror
stories? If I get enough responses, I will summarize back to the net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 12:25:57 PRT
From: Rui Bento <QT013%PTEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hello again

     Hello There.
     I'm Sysop of the Orion BBS (a portuguese bbs Mac Pc Amiga Unix).
     I have a friend how is the manager of a wide net of MAC (300). The problem
he have is :
     In the Newspaper he works they receive articles from all over the
world by Modem.
      They run Second Sight (the BBS from FreeSoft) for receiving the material.
They want to put the stuff they get in the Disk of the NET (an AppleShare syste
m for every one can use ). They trie several solutions:

      1 - MultiFinder , SS BBS and AppleShare, but the Mac crash.
      2 - In a Mac not the AppleShare'MAC they run SS BBS but they can't acces
     very well the Disk of the NET.

     Any suggestion ? Thanks in advance.
     Another thing . I'm working in Second Sight BBS but I don't like the inter
face for Mac (the client ), there is out there any people working in one
 send some info.
E-Mail:
      Internet :    qt013%ptearn.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
      Bitnet   :    qt013@ptearn
                              Sincerely Yours
                               Rui Bento

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 21:06:49 EST
From: CK Farn <HT6B0001%TWNMOE10.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IBM Laser Printer

I have a friend who acquired a Mac Si recently, and would like to make
use of his IBM 4019E laser printer (which has postcript option installed).
Does anyone has previous successful experience with the combination?

Best Regards,
         Farn
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
 C.K.Farn                    Tel: (03)425-4604; (03)422-7151 x 6160
 DEPT OF INFORMATION MGMT    FAX: (03)425-4604; (03) 422-2416
 National Central University BITNET:  HT6B0001 @ TWNMOE10
 Chung-li, Taiwan            HT6B0001%TWNMOE10.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
 Republic of China
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
Acknowledge-To: <HT6B0001@TWNMOE10>

------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 90 18:24:00 PST
From: "MELISSA HINES" <hines@bogart.stanford.edu>
Subject: Igor demo available via ftp anonymous

     ***** Igor Demo available by ftp anonymous *****

"Igor is a powerful, integrated graphing and data analysis environment
developed specifically for the Macintosh computer.  It combines the
familiar Macintosh user interface with an efficient command line
interface, allowing you to graph, inspect and analyze your data with
uncommon speed and power.  We developed Igor to be consistent, fast
and flexible and to produce high quality graphic output."
                                         -- Igor Manual

As many people who read comp.sys.mac.xxx know, Igor has gained a very
strong following among scientists (and others) on the network.  It is
a *very* fast and *very* powerful data analysis and graphing package
for the Macintosh.  Among its built in functions are:
    curve fitting to built-in and user-defined functions
    Fourier transforms
    histograms
    integration, differentiation
    smoothing
    sorting
    flexible waveform arithmetic.
Igor also has a very powerful macro language that allows you to
automate anything it can do.  If you are considering the purchase of a
graphing package (such as KaleidaGraph, DeltaGraph, Cricket Graph,
etc.) or are using a spreadsheet or similar application to do
graphing, you should check out the Igor demo.

I have posted a number of articles championing it, so here is your
chance to try it out.  The Igor demo is fully functional _except_ you
can not save.  Included is a Guided Tour of Igor file that will
demonstrate some of the power of Igor.

The Igor demo is archived on d31rz0.stanford.edu.  You may get this
file via ftp anonymous.  On most mainframes, enter "ftp
d31rz0.stanford.edu".  You must use the username "anonymous" and any
password.  The files are in /Igor/Igor_demos and are:
   Igor_demo_installer.hqx
   Igor_extras_demo_installer.hqx
More information on the contents of these files is in /Igor in the
file 00Abstracts.txt.  You can get help after you are logged in by
typing "help".

Igor is a product of:
     WaveMetrics
     PO Box 2088
     Lake Oswego, OR 97035
     USA
     (503)620-3001
     WaveMetrics%Applelink.Apple.Com@Apple.Com

Melissa A. Hines           Hines@Portia.Stanford.Edu
Dept. of Chemistry         Hines@Bogart.Stanford.Edu (preferred)
Stanford University
Disclaimer: I am not an employee of WaveMetrics nor do I have any
interest in Igor besides that of a very satisfied user.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 1990 13:56 EST
From: PCWOOD <V4009%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: networking with a fastpath

Hello,
       We have a Kinetics Fastpath hooked up to the ethernet and our
local appletalk network and would like to now access the internet via
our macintoshes.  I have ncsa telnet set up but I get couldnt connect
errors.  Does anyone have a similar setup ?  Do I need anything else ?
possibly some driver ?  Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 90 18:25:00 PST
From: "MELISSA HINES" <hines@bogart.stanford.edu>
Subject: New Archive Site for Igor Users

       ***** Announcing a new Archive for Igor Users *****

We would like to announce a new archive for Igor users on
d31rz0.stanford.edu.  This archive may be reached via ftp anonymous.
We will archive  anything that is of interest to Igor users
(or prospective users).  Items of interest might be: useful macros,
XOPs, XOP source code, helpful hints and experiments.  Other Igor
related items are also welcome.  We will also archive the Igor
Technical Notes and Igor XOP Technical Notes.

Items already on the archive:
   a DEMO version of Igor
   all Igor Technical Notes and Igor XOP Technical Notes
   an XOP and source code to connect Igor to LabView
   a preliminary (i.e. not totally functional) XOP to generate EPS
      (Encapsulated PostScript) from Igor
   TEXT files containing all known problems w/ Igor 1.2 and Igor
      running under AUX

We are interested in archiving anything that you might wish to share
with other Igor users.  Your submissions do not need to be "professional"
quality.  If you think it would help others, submit it.  We are
especially interested in anything that would help Igor "novices".

To access the archives (from most mainframes), use the command:
   "ftp d31rz0.stanford.edu"  Note: The address has a zero, not an o.
You must give the username "anonymous" with any password.  The Igor
archives are in the directory "Igor".  Type "help" for more help.
Please read the README file.

To submit items to the archive, you must MAIL them. ("Put" has been disabled).  MAIL your submissions (and questions, comments, etc.) to:
     ftp@d31rz0.stanford.edu    (Internet)
     ftp%d31rz0@Stanford        (Bitnet)

As always, technical support will be from WaveMetrics.
Igor is a product of:
     WaveMetrics
     PO Box 2088
     Lake Oswego, OR 97035
     USA
     (503)620-3001
     WaveMetrics%Applelink.Apple.Com@Apple.Com

This archive is not "officially" affiliate with WaveMetrics.

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 10:27:46 PST
From: WINGWR%ORFE.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Query re French educational/adventure software.

Hello All,

I need help tracking down a piece of educational software I saw written up a
few weeks (maybe as many as three months) ago; I'm hoping someone saw the same
article and could place it for me or give me a lead on the software itself.
I'm asking Info-Mac on the assumption (possibly wrong) that the software was
Mac-based.

The software, just released, is designed for high school french students and is
implemented as sort of an "ADVENTURE" game.  The  goal of the "game" being to
rent an appartment in Paris.  The student has to read and interpret want ads in
a newspaper, "converse" with the concerge at the pension where he/she is
staying overnight, read a street map and so on.  There are appartments in both
good and bad parts of town, and the game has several possible outcomes
depending on which "path" (or paths) the player chooses to follow.

Ring any bells?

Thanks,  Bill Wing

    Internet: WINGWR@ORNL.GOV
    BITnet:   WINGWR%ORNL.GOV@MITVMA.BITNET
    MFEnet:   WINGWR@ORN
    ESnet:    WINGWR@ORFE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 16:22:14 EST
From: Alex_Sirota@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Release dates

Does anyone on the net know the dates for the release of the following Mac //s
the //cx, //ci, //fx, //, //x, //si, //LC. This of course is needed to see
the neat 8 bit displays of the desingers by pressing the cmd-opt-letter1-letter2
where letter1 and letter2 are the initials of the appropriate mac. This is done
at boot up to those who aren't in the know.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 01:53 MST
From: TOM KIRSHBAUM <KIRSH%NAUVAX.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: software for Humane Shelters, Dentists

This is a very off-the-wall request.  I would like to help our local Humane
shelter develop a computer system to match lost and found animals.  Does anyone
by any odd coincidence, know of such a package for the Mac--or any computer?

Equally off-the-wall, a Dentist friend is about to give up his Mac for a blue
machine because he has been unable to find a software package to handle the
complexities of his practice (billing, drilling, filling, k....).  The Apple
dealer has been no help.  Where should he look?

All this is a little unacademic, but I am trying all channels. Thanks.
--Tom Kirshbaum
  School of Performing Arts
  Northern Arizona University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 09:29:41 EST
From: Steven Cantor <SLC%HARVARDA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: text editor

i'm looking for a good text editor for our 6 macs in this office, hopefully
one that is disk-based, so that filesize limitations would not be an issue
(in the case of downloading large data files from 3090 mainframe).  any
suggestions, and anything that might be archived that i could examine, and
if so, where.  Thanks for whatever time and help you can offer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 16:24:26 CST
From: Randy Bradley <MARC003%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Water Priests

     To the person who was looking for information on the water Priests
stack.  Sorry, my incomming mail wiped out my old mail before I remembered
to save your message.
     Anyway, for what its worth, I definately remember reading a short
article like that.  I'm pretty sure it was in MacWeek, but it may have
been MacUser or MacWorld.  Seems it's been nigh on 2 years ago n'est pas?
You should be able to find some reference about it in the (what do they
call that again...) "Current Contents of Periodicals" or something like
that.
     Hope this helps...

End of Info-Mac Digest