Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/22/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 21 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 212

Today's Topics:

      A/UX
      after dark
      Building maps into programs
      Compare programs -- addendum
      Differences between HEPP I and HEPP II
      Digitalk Smalltalk & IIsi
      gif and epson
      How to secure a mouse
      II si monitor info
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #210
      Information needed
      Mac IIfx and IIsi
      Memory slot pinout on Mac Classic
      Q&D benchmarks for shareware compression utilities
      Scanned text to real text
      SilverLining, Partitioning and A/UX
      StuffIt Classic vs Compactor
      Summary for quotas/copy-protection on AppleShare
      translating WordStar files to Mac WP formats
      Wanted: High-quality color output device
      Wanted: Sample and Compiled Extensions for Mandelzot 3.0

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 16 Dec 90 15:39:07 GMT
From: raysnec!shwake@uunet.uu.net (Ray Shwake)
Subject: A/UX

Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> writes:

>  Jeeze, $950 bucks for an upgrade? The list out of MacUser was $600 for
>the CD version and $800 for the floppy/tape version. Does this include
>all of the manual updates too? That's just too damn expensive! I don't
>understand why Apple has to charge so much for A/UX.

	What are you comparing the A/UX cost to? Certainly not to UNIX/386
packages (from, e.g. SCO, ISC, etc.) whose 2-user versions including
functionality comparable to A/UX cost even more. Where Apple gets you,
though, is in the high cost of the associated manuals (assuming that which
is included with A/UX is not adequate).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 13:13:39 PLT
From: stu thiel <THIEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: after dark

Two open queries about After Dark.

   1)  How do you slow it down?  Some routines have speed sliders, but
       many do not.  For instance, "Nightlines" Rectangles looks great
       on the Mac SE but not on the SE/30, where it whirls like a dervish
       (no offense).

   2)  Programmers:  how about an After Dark routine that cranks out the
       digits of Pi? (or other famous transcendentals or irrationals)
       Ideally, there would also be a count of how many decimal places had
       calculated.  Remember me if you make any money.

   Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Night.
                                                   --stu

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 17 December 1990 12:49pm CT
From: JOHN.J.ROUSSEAU@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Building maps into programs

I am exploring the idea of adding a mapping facility to a Mac
application I am working on.  Basically, the end result should
be the ability to display a map of the United States on the
screen (printing can come later), define and draw arbitrary regions
on top of the map, and allow the user to interact (via the mouse)
with the arbitrary regions.

For example, I may want to divide the U.S. into four regions
(N,W,E,S), allow the user to click on the western region, and
display data, charts, etc. that are tied to that region.

I am aware of programs like GeoQuery that have similar functionality,
but I need to seamlessly integrate everything into my own application.
Simply calling another program from within my App will not do, at least
until System 7.0 IAC hooks are built into most programs.

Are PICT or other graphic map files available that I could access and
display from my program?  Do I need the build everything from scratch?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick Parker
Bitnet: cyai326@utxvm.bitnet
Apple Link: D5765
Compuserve: 71260,3711

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 16:51 EST
From: "Carol Conti-Entin, ext. 8778" <$CAROL%OCVAXC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Compare programs -- addendum

Info-Mac reader Bob Rahe has already uploaded TextDiff and ComparAll 1.1, so
all I need to add at this point (in addition to my thanks to everyone who
sent me programs to try or tips & leads) is one caveat and one "commercial."

The caveat:
        Another Info-Mac reader sends this warning about ComparAll 1.1:
"Instead of looking at individual resource types and the different resources
within each type, it just treats the resource fork as if it were one giant
unstructured block of data, totally ignoring the fact that it has a well-
defined semantics, namely that the header lists various resources of various
types and that each resource should be treated as a separate entity."
        As far as I'm concerned, ComparAll 1.1 still serves the purpose of
informing me whether the two applications are or are not identical (my
primary need with non-text files), so if that's your only need, ComparAll
is still a useful program at an unbeatably low price (free).

The "commercial":
        If Rob Managan uploads his Compare program as he expected to do
eventually (the last version he sent me was 0.4), those of you needing to
compare text files line by line will want to check this one out.  The two files
have their own side-by-side windows (a 3rd window below shows the differences),
and you get to watch the play-by-play in the right-hand window as the program
does a very thorough hunt for similarities.  Thus, it can find where the files
are again identical after insertions or deletions have caused them to diverge.

     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
     |  Carol Conti-Entin   Academic Computing Consultant  216-775-8778  |
     |  Houck Computing Center    Oberlin College    Oberlin, OH  44074  |
     |  Bitnet: $carol@oberlin   Internet: $carol@ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu  |
     |          pconti@oberlin             pconti@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu  |
     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 90 14:14:20 PST
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Differences between HEPP I and HEPP II

Does anyone in Netland actually _know_ the difference between
Apple's Higher Education Purchase Plans I and II (HEPP I and
HEPP II)?  Several persons and I have been speculating about
the possibilities, but I'd really like to have some facts to
include in my revised report on University prices for the Mac
(to be posted later this week).  Please respond directly to me,
so that I may include the information in the report.

Jay Handel
Administrative, Adult and Higher Education
Unversity of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC

Internet:  Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca   (preferred)
Bitnet:    userjayh@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:32:04 -0800
From: Jack Repenning <jackr%dblues.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com>
Subject: Digitalk Smalltalk & IIsi

I'm considering buying Smalltalk for my 2/40 IIsi, and I was wondering
if anyone could help me with some warnings first:

	- I've had quite a bit of compatibility trouble with my IIsi
	  already.  Most vendors have been reasonably quick with
	  upgrades that work on the IIsi, but it's a real hassle I'd
	  just as soon forgo, by waiting until the "maintenance
	  release" is available directly.  Anyone run Smalltalk on an
	  si yet?

	- The information I have is that DT/ST needs "1.5 Mbytes of
	  memory."  Since I have 2Mb (physical), I should be OK,
	  right?  Or, does that mean ST itself needs 1.5, which I
	  can't give it presently, since my system is ~700K, leaving
	  me a bit shy of 1.5M for ST.  Question: how much
	  Small-talking around can I do while I wait a while for 4Mb
	  SIMMs to get a bit cheaper?  And what about disk space for
	  the class library?

	- Finally, heretical as it sounds, I'm not really interested
	  in learning to be a Mac programmer at this time: this is an
	  exercise in objects and Smalltalk.  The Mac Toolbox is
	  undoubtedly the salvation of the universe, but I'd just as
	  soon struggle with only one thing at a time, thank you very
	  much.  So: am I gonna have to learn ToolBox just to get any
	  decent displays out of Smalltalk?  (The desired answer is
	  "no.")

Email responses would be nice.  If you're interested in similar
information, email me about that and I'll clue you in as I get it.

----------------
Jack Repenning			9U-530			     jackr@wpd.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.				            Off:(415) 335-7477

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:53:00 +0100
From: Wim Heijs <wmpewh@urc.tue.nl>
Subject: gif and epson

Dear fellownetters,

I would like to ask your help with regard to the following:

1.
Some archives (like wuarchive.wustl.edu) contain large amounts of
GIF-files. Some of these are located in a mac-subdirectory and have
the extension .hqx. They can be downloaded, unbinhexed and processed
quite easily (e.g. with visionlab). But the vast majority is contained
in other subdirectories (e.g. graphics) and do not have any extension.
When I download such a file and try to open it, it gives a file manager
error that a bad LZW-code has been found and that the file is corrupt.
Presumably the latter files are in a different format.
Is there a way to access them properly and proces them on a macplus ?

2.
Are there any (software)drivers around for Epson-compatible 9n printers ?

Thanks a lot !

Please respond to:
W. Heijs
University of Technology
Eindhoven
E-mail: wmpewh@urc.tue.nl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 01:43:44 CST
From: Clay Romeiser <2DLYBOND%UKANVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to secure a mouse

I've read several messages discussing ways to secure a mouse in a Mac
lab.  How about this: Fold the mouse cord and insert it through the hole
in a large washer. (not too large though) Now, you have a loop that you
can feed the security cable through.  Simple! Effective! Cheap!!!
 Clay Romeiser                "One more semester and
 University of Kansas          I have to find a job!"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 8:20:12 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: II si monitor info

Marshall Carrol:

I have not as of yet gotten my IIsi, but the responses have shown that
just about any multi-scan Mac II monitor will work.  My question did not
cover > 13"/14" monitors, as I was planning on using the built-in video
of the IIsi.

Any other video board you place in a IIsi should be checked for power
compliance: 15watts NuBus, 7watts PDS; I'm sure that the RasterOps family
is power-complican..  Either way, you'll have to
purchase a IIsi/PDS or IIsi/NuBus adapter in order to plug the board
in; both adapters from apple contain floating point units ($249/$174 developer).
PSI (look in the back of MacWeek) has a really great IIsi/PDS adapter
family that contains both a FPU and a socket for their cache card, and it
is power-compliant (within wattage).

My recommendation: buy the PSI fpu/cache adapter (you can buy the cache
later on), and use a PDS (SE/30) video board.  The PDS (SE/30 socket)
runs at the speed of the processor, not at the 10MHz NuBus speed (which
can create a bottleneck).  In the IIsi, the PDS slot is clocked at 20MHz.

Hope this helps,

George Tempel
AmericaOnline: gftempel4
CompuServe: 76047,70
[end of message]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 14:30:16 EST
From: "Roger D. Parish" <U9505RP%DOEMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #210

Regarding Stuffit CLassic 1.6, I downloaded it and tried the install (got
the same -39 error reported previously), then noticed that it no longer
has the Unpack option in the menus for .pit files.  The doc. says that it
supports it.  Where did it go?

Murph Sewall wondered about Kensington Turbo Mouse longevity; I got mine
for Christmas last year (89) and have used it exclusively ever since.  I
have experienced some momentary "dead" spots, but I think it is due to
crud on the wheels.  I really should wipe them down with a swab one of these
days.  Other than these transient difficulties, it has been solid as a rock.

In regards to leaving laser printers on, this isn't exactly germane, but...
we have an HP Laserjet (the original model) that we never turn off.  It's been
on continuously (except for power failures) for over 4 years!

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 14:41 GMT
From: DK0042@applelink.apple.com (DKU AUC-City, Copenhagen,IER)
Subject: Information needed

I am looking for a FTP-Side-Adress of "UNIVERSIDAD METROPOLITANA" in Venezuela.
I need help to find a HyperCaed Stack named "FONEMAS DEL CASTELLANO DE
VENEZUELA"

Greetings from Denmark

Mikkel Pedersbaek

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 17:54 EDT
From: ZSUZSI%MEDCOR.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac IIfx and IIsi

Please help us with information on:
        - memory expansion available for the IIfx. These are those funny
        4 Mb 64 pins parts. Are they available? Is there anyone using
        the IIfx for real-time display (as in recording eye movement in
        response to display-change on the Mac)?
        - We bought but not yet received IIsi's, with NuBus adapter card
        and Ethernet card. Are these cards available? Using LanWorks someone
        reported problems; were those rectified? How? I am very new to
        networking and discussion groups; but will have to get the 3 Macs
        and LanWorks up and running *the minute we recveive them*. Any
        help, suggestion, horror story with happy ending will be greatly
        appreciated.

Zsuzsanna Makkai
Medical Computing Resource
McGill University; <zsuzsi@medcor.mcgill.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 17:32:46 +0100
From: arnouilj@apo.esiee.fr (arnouij-jean-claude)
Subject: Memory slot pinout on Mac Classic

Dear Net,

   I would like to design an 3 Mb memory card for the Classic.
   For doing so, I need the pinout for the 2*22 pin connector
   on the mother board.

   Thanks for any help !!

--
Jean-Claude Arnouil
Ecole Superieure d'Electrotechnique et d'Electronique

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 12:10:35 EST
From: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin)
Subject: Q&D benchmarks for shareware compression utilities

I was curious about the relative performance of the shareware
compression utilities currently available, so I decided to benchmark them.
Listed below are times and % compressions for Stuffit 1.5.1, Stuffit
Deluxe, and Compactor.  For Stuffit 1.5.1, I only used LZW encoding because
Huffman is almost never smaller and trying it slows stuff down.  For
Stuffit Classic, I tried both Fast and Better.  With Compactor I just used
the defaults.  Tests were run on a Mac II with 8MB running multifinder with
NCSA 2.3.2 (w/ BYU) open in the background (its window was shrunk and I
just let it sit there quiescent).  In each test, I compressed FrameMaker a
726,971 byte application and Clip Art a 13 item folder containing 627,831
bytes of data.  All times are in seconds and 1:35 means (obviously -:) ) 1
minute and 35 seconds.

CONCLUSIONS:
     Stuff which is going to be posted to archives should be in compactor
form since the compression rate to uncompress time ratio is so much better.
For personal use, use 1.5.1 for speed, or compactor if size is important.
Unless you need some of the more obscure features of Classic, trash it.

Program	       	    	      Compress	     	       Uncompress
     File      	    	 Time 	   Saved     	       Time
Classic - Fast Mode
     FrameMaker     	 52  	   46%	     	       45
     ClipArt   	    	 1:35	   27%	     	       1:01
1.5.1 - LZW Only
     FrameMaker	    	 43   	   44%	     	       39
     ClipArt   	    	 1:05 	   23%	     	       52
Compactor 1.21
     FrameMaker	    	 1:40 	   59%	     	       40
     ClipArt   	    	 2:00 	   47%	     	       57
Classic - Better Mode
     FrameMaker	    	 7:00 	   59%	     	       1:12
     ClipArt   - didn't bother since compressing framemaker took so long

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 16:02:49 EST
From: agostino@med.unc.edu (Michael Agostino)
Subject: Scanned text to real text

Hello,
I am looking for a program that can convert scanned text (i.e. the image of
text generated by a scanner) into real text (i.e. text that can be worked
on by a word processor).  Free-ware or share-ware would be great but I'd
like to know what's available.  Please include comments and I'll post a
summary to the net.  Please send e-mail.
Thanks
Mike Agostino
agostino@uncmed.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 90 20:55:58 +0100
From: Etienne Loute <LOUTE%BUCLLN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SilverLining, Partitioning and A/UX

Altough I experienced the troubles mentioned by Juan Courcoul
(info-Mac V8#210), i.e. formatting an Apple SC80 drive with SL and
later having Apple HD-Setup refusing to recognize the disk.
After several attemps I succeeded in having the disk recognized,
the HD setup program started the initialization then bombed !
After restarting the machine it went fine.
    In spite of that I trust the SL software.  It allowed me to
successfuly install A/UX on a non Apple drive (Rodime 140+ and Cobra 210).
In both cases I had a formatter with A/UX formatting capability from
Rodime. Apple software intallation allows only installation on Apple HD
(80MB or 160MB) or on a Micronet 300MB (I checked that for A/UX 2.0).
They have an installation for generic hard disks, but I never
succeeded to install it on one of my disk (formatted with either
the original formatter or by SL).
I found the following (not elegant!) work around. Install first
A/UX on a Apple SC80. Tape backup the 3 A/UX partitions on the
Apple Tape backup unit (very slow!!). Format the non Apple drive
with 3 A/UX partitions (same sizes as on the Apple drive).
Restore from tape the three A/UX partitions. I found
safer to have the Mac partition to be physically first on the drive.
With the original formatter it did not work wereas with SL it
worked (it allows you to move partitions on the disk,
with data unchanged, provided that you have some unused space).
I use the TimeDrive program from R. Bates to test my disk.
     SL allows you to create partitions on syquest removable cartridges.
Most formatters sold with drives for removable cartridges do not.

 Two words of caution.
 1) Apple does not support multiple MacOS partitions
    on a physical drive (i.e. a disk unit with a scsi number).
    You are getting into trouble if you want to mount such volumes
    under A/UX 2.0.
 2) Check your disk performance after installing
    SL. I had to play with the timing loop tester to find a good
    read/write combination. With the original setting the write
    rate of transfer dropped from about 1MB/sec to less than 500K/sec !
    The optimal choice was giving me sometimes errors. After
    some trial and error I was able to find the good settings.
    It is now working quite satisfactorily with about the same performance
    as the originally formatted Cobra 210.

Etienne Loute (LOUTE@BUCCLN11)
C.O.R.E.
34 voie du Roman Pays
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 07:53:43 +0200
From: kobi%bimacs.biu.ac.il@forsythe.stanford.edu (sambrano Kobi)
Subject: StuffIt Classic vs Compactor

I recently downloaded StuffIt Classic 1.6 and I tried to compare it to
Compactor 1.21. I got amazing results:

Inside Mac DA's "Manual" file:
		|  Original	|StuffIt Classic|StuffIt Classic| Compactor
		|		|"Fast" mode	|"Better" mode	|
----------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+----------
File Size	|   606644	|    239101	|    182896	| 169510
		|		|		|		|
Time Taken	|   ------	|     1:35	|    15:12	|  3:35

Disinfectant 2.4 application:
		|  Original	|StuffIt Classic|StuffIt Classic| Compactor
		|		|"Fast" mode	|"Better" mode	|
----------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+----------
File Size	|   324686	|    196660	|    158258	| 154396
		|		|		|		|
Time Taken	|   ------	|     1:05	|     7:56	|  2:20

(Timings were made on my Mac SE with Apple's 20SC hard disk)
Could it be? Is the 80K Compactor better than the 600K StuffIt Classic when
it comes down to efficiency?

I'd appreciate any replies.

			kobi@bimacs.biu.ac.il

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 1990 14:57 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: Summary for quotas/copy-protection on AppleShare

To all Info-Mac readersQ

I'd like to thank everyone who answered my questions concerning copy-
protection and a quota system for our AppleShare networks.  I've received
more than 35 responses; here's a quick summary.

LabLauncher:
It's free and available on the Info-Mac archives via FTP (sumex-
aim.stanford.edu) or at their mirror site at Washington University
(wuarchive.wustl.edu).  It is archived as UTIL/LAB-LAUNCHER.HQX.  In
brief, LabLauncher allows you to set the maximum number of concurrent
applications and works under MultiFinder.  It also keeps records of when and
where each application was opened.  The program also offers some form of
copy-protection in that the genuine programs are placed in an invisible
folder.  It's the fake shell the user sees in the folder.  It's this fake shell that
accesses LabLauncher first, then the actual program second.The only caveats
seems to be the installation process being a bit of a hassle, but the
documentation appears to be well written; and that if a user is forced to turn
the machine off without quitting the application, LabLauncher still thinks
that copy is in use.

Quota:
This program used to be called DoppleMaker when it was shareware.  The
program is now a commercial one, though the price is not unreasonable ($495
for 50 users, with site licensing also available).  This is being distributed by
Proteus Technology (in Canada at phone 403-426-6794).  Quota also gives
administrators the ability to specify the number of concurrent uses of an
application.  It does seem to have a nice record-maintenance feature that
keeps track of the total number of times each application has been launched,
the number of times a request has been made to launch an application that
has already reached its quota, and the greatest number of copies open at the
same time.  These stats are important for us people who have to go to
administration and beg for more money for software!  Quota also provides
some copy-protection whereby the actual program is hidden from the user's
view and a "clone" takes its place (it's the clone that calls the program if
Quota permits the launch).

KeyServer:
This is also a commercial program from Sassafras Software that enforces
concurrent use limits.  It's supposedly been thoroughly field-tested at various
sites, including Dartmouth College, with 6,000 Macs linked across 80 zones.
Whether the applications reside on a centralized server or on individual
harddisks, when a user double-clicks to launch a "keyed" application, the
network conveys a key-request packet to the central KeyServer.  According to
the spec sheets e-mailed to me, "...when usage is below the licensed limit, a
key is checked out and used to decrypt the requesting application so its launch
can proceed.  If all keys are in use, the launch attempt will abort, and a dialog
box will offer to place the user on a waiting queue.  When another user quits
the application, the key is automatically returned to the KeyServer and the
next user on the queue is notified instantly."  The KeyServer software runs in
the background of a centralized server with "...negligible network and
processor overhead".  Transaction logs are kept for administrative purposes,
and contain all the data one would need to evaluate software usage.  There's
an INIT file, called KeyAccess, that needs to be placed in the System Folder of
all client Startup disks.  All interaction between the network KeyServer and
all keyed applications is handled by KeyAccess.  For more information, e-mail
Denis Devlin at denisd@dartmouth.edu or call at (603) 643-3351.  I'd love to
hear from other sites using this package and I'd like to know the cost of the
package.

LaunchBreak:
This is a free program written by undergrads at the University of Michigan.  It
is available via anonymous FTP from FREEBIE.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU in the
directory /pub/macfiles/launchbreak.  You can also e-mail the authors at
launch-break@caen.engin.umich.edu.  According to messages I've received,
you run an installer program against the application to be protected.  This
installs the LaunchBreak segment into the code.  After this, the application
will execute if an appropriate LaunchBreak authorized server is accessible,
and if the concurrent number of executions is less than or equal to the
authorized maximum.  Applications can't be copied since the program looks
for the LaunchBreak server.  Applications running under the LaunchBreak
system may reside on centralized servers or on local harddisks that are
networked to a server.

I'd like to thank Juan Courcoul from Monterrey Tech in Mexico for sending
me the binhexed request form and the application manual for LaunchBreak.
And many thanks to all of you who responded so quickly to my cries for
help!!

Joy Aberback
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 16:26 EST
From: "Carol Conti-Entin, ext. 8778" <$CAROL%OCVAXC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: translating WordStar files to Mac WP formats

>From:   OCVAXC::$CAROL       "Carol Conti-Entin, ext. 8778" 13-DEC-1990 16:59:29
.7
   4
To:     IN%"PL@geovax.edinburghac.uk"
CC:     $CAROL
Subj:   RE: your Info-Mac WordStar <--> Mac word processor question

We're also a WordStar site (everything from its NewWord clone to versions
4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0) where there are also Macintoshes and the need to get
files from the one into the other (specifically, into Mac. Microsoft Word 4.0
and occasionally something else).  We own and have tried several different
file translator products; Software Bridge Macintosh ($129; 401 N. Wabash,
Suite 600, Chicago, IL 60611) seems the best, except that it supports only
Microsoft Word and WordPerfect at the Macintosh end.  Word for Word Macintosh
($149; 6991 E. Camelback Road, Suite A-320, Scottsdale, AZ 85251) is a close
second in ability, and it supports many more Macintosh word processors.
However, with Word for Word Macintosh, you have to use Apple File Exchange
first, then the WFW/M translator of your choice.  Expect to perform some clean-
up afterwards, whichever program you end up choosing.  Unfortunately, with any
of these programs, you'll also be buying many translators you apparently don't
need, just to get the one you do.
     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:44:55 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Wanted: High-quality color output device

At my workplace we are considering investing in a high-quality color output
device, such as a film recorder.  I know that there are such devices out there,
but could not find any reviews in recent (last year or two) issues of the Mac
oriented magazines (if I'm wrong, please point me to issue).  I would be
extremely interested in comments from anyone who has used such devices for
the Macintosh.

In a recent (May '90) issue of MacUser color printers were reviewed.  It seems
that for the most part they are not suitable for really high-quality repro-
duction of color -- except possibly the "sublimal-dye thermal transfer" printer
>From Mitsubishi which is expensive and receives poor marks for lack of inter-
face, poor color range, and generally poor support.  I would be interested in
hearing any comments on that subject and on how film/slide recorders compare
to color printers.

Basically I'm to review all our options for color output, and I'm receptive to
any and all suggestions.  Reply to me or to the net -- I will post a complete
summary of mail I receive and results of my research in weeks to come.

___________________________
Jurgen Botz, Academic Software Consultant
   Academic Computing                            internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet
   Mount Holyoke College                              Compuserve: 70531,600
   South Hadley, MA 01075, USA                     Voice: (US) 413-538-2375

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 15:57:12 GMT
From: wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Lance Ware)
Subject: Wanted: Sample and Compiled Extensions for Mandelzot 3.0
The title basically says it all, I am looking for example extensions for
Mandelzot, any function is fine, I just want to get a better feel for
how to program it. I am also interested in any precompiled extensions as
well, allthough the former is better, specifically fractal clouds,
lorenz attractors, Lambda sets, Barnsley IFS Fractals, etc . . .

Any responses are appreciated.

Lance

--
Lance Ware			          	         Mac and IBM Reseller
   wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest