Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/23/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 22 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 213

Today's Topics:

      backup programs
      Call for Proposals
      CD-ROM drives
      CLUT foul-ups
      Commercialization not harmful
      Correction on System availability
      Creating Auto-UnstuffIt Archives with StuffIt Deluxe
      Desktop Folder Icons?
      DOUBLE CLICK ; DIALOG BUTTON QUESTIONS
      Epson hookup to a Mac
      Fonts for DeskWriter
      HhEeLlPp with Sound Mgr
      HP plotters on MAC
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #210 (2 msgs)
      Inserting postscript into word 4.0 file
      Label Making Programs?
      macneko?
      Mac TCP/IP
      Microsoft Mail to simple mail
      More Postscript Questions
      Re>turning LWs off
      Reports 2.0
      SCSIProbe and System 6.0.7
      SCSI to Color Display
      security software.
      System error
      Wanted: HyperMIDI Stack
      WW-GUIDE-SYS-SOFT.HQX AT APPLE.COM
      Zoom Modems

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:20 EST
From: KARL WALDMAN <KWALDMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com>
Subject: backup programs

	What is the best backup program for Macs, using any backup hardware
(floppies/tapes)?

	Thanks
	Karl

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 16:59:58 EST
From: Wesley Alan Wright <WAW%UVMVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Call for Proposals

(apologies to recipients of multiple copies)

                              Call for Proposals

                  Computing Strategies Across the Curriculum
                           The University of Vermont
                             Burlington, Vermont
                           April 5th and 6th, 1991

    Last April, The University of Vermont sponsored _The_
_Macintosh_Computer_in_the_University_Curriculum_, a regional
conference which explored the role of Macintosh computers in college
and university education.  This successful event attracted over 300
participants from New England, New York, and Canada.

    This year's event opens the conference to computing platforms
of all types.  The emphasis will be on developing strategies to enhance
the collegiate environment  -- in academics, administration, and
support services  -- through the use of computers.

    To this end, the program committee is soliciting proposals for
presentations and workshops that fit into a lecture/demonstration
format.  The presentations will be held in small lecture halls that seat
50 to 60 attendees.  Both Macintosh and MS-DOS systems with
projection devices will be available to lecturers    Smaller computer
labs seating 10 to 20 people are available for workshops using MS-DOS,
Macintosh, or Silicon Graphics equipment. Proposals requiring other
systems (Apple II, Amiga, etc.) are not discouraged, but in these cases
on site equipment cannot be guaranteed.

    Topics of interest include: art, imaging, and design; networking;
hypermedia and courseware authoring; libraries and media services;
user support and training; integration of academic and administrative
systems; and research and teaching in all academic areas. Both
introductory sessions and whiz bang applications for the blue-sky
dreamers are encouraged.  Presentations should be about 45 minutes in
length, with longer blocks possible for workshops.  Presenters with
successful proposals will be expected to provide a 4-5 page  paper
summarizing their session no later than February 22nd for inclusion
in the conference proceedings.  Presenters are also invited to include
any relevant software and/or examples on floppy disks for distribution
with the proceedings.

    Presenters should contact a member of the program committee
listed below by January 25th for consideration.  A title for the
presentation would also be appreciated at this time.  Notification of
acceptance and instructions to authors will be provided by February 1st.

Wesley Wright                           Albert Joy
Academic Computing Services             Libraries and Media Services
Room 238 Waterman Building              018 Bailey Howe Library
(802) 656-1254                          (802) 656-8350
(waw@uvmvm.uvm.edu)                     (ajoy@uvmvm.uvm.edu)

Lynne Meeks                             Kimberly Parker
Academic Computing Services             Extension Services
Room 238 Waterman Building              206 Morril Hall
(802) 656-1255                          (802) 656-0385
(lzm@uvmvm.uvm.edu)                     (ag_system@uvmvax.uvm.edu)

The University of Vermont
Burlington, Vermont 05405

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 21:54 PST
From: TINMAN@max.u.washington.edu
Subject: CD-ROM drives

I'm looking for a CD-ROM drive.  Anyone out there know of recent review
articles?  Anyone have personal experience or preferences?  What's hot
and what's not?  *Many* thanks in advance.

Stan Kaufman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 1990 02:23 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: CLUT foul-ups

Is it my imagination, or are many color apps ill-behaved?  What I mean is that
they change the system CLUT and then leave it that way when they exit.  Isn't
there a way to save the system CLUT and then restore it on exit?  Does this
strike anyone else as proper behavior, or am I off in dreamland somewhere?
Might it even be possible to restore the system CLUT when going into the
background under MultiFinder?  Or is that really asking too much?  I'm getting
_really_ tired of having to manually reset my system CLUT after running
Mandelzot, for example.  Now, Mandelzot is a wonderful program and I highly
recommend it, but as far as color is concerned it strikes me as downright
anti-social.  There are many other apps with similar behaviour, but I don't
see any need to list them here.  Does anyone have any answers?

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Dec 90 12:30:12-PST
From: Jason Daida <JASON@star.stanford.edu>
Subject: Commercialization not harmful

> I think we are witnessing a marvelous example of a case where the
>commercialization of a product is driving it right off the market.  For
>those of you who, in past messages, are raving about StuffIt 1.6, give
>Compactor a try, and save yourself a bit of time and effort.

I've recently downloaded both Compactor 1.2.1 and Stuffit 1.6 and
I agree for the most part about David's comments on their performance.
I do not agree about his comments about commercialization.  Performance
is only one part of good software.  Support and upgrades are another.
Anyone who has tried to upgrade system software without breaking
anything else really doesn't need support.  Five years from now, though,
when I want to dearchive a file....
	The time and effort saved now do not necessarily make a
good investment.
Jason Daida
jason@star.stanford.edu
standard disclaimers.....
-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 1990 22:34:17 EST
From: JK_APPLEREP@unhh.unh.edu (Joe Kazura)
Subject: Correction on System availability

In regards to system software...

"Dealers are authorized (but NOT required) to let you copy the disks on-site."

If they are an Apple Authorized dealer.. They ARE obligated to to give you
a copy of whatever system software you want (assuming they have it available),
you may be required to show or USE your original system disks!

If a dealer refuses to give you...say...6.0.7 in place of your original
6.0.5 disks... THEY _could_ lose their DEALER status... I kid you not on this!

This is a major policy with Apple!!!!!

Regards,

Joe Kazura
Apple Student Rep.
University of New Hampshire

JK_APPLEREP@UNHH.UNH.EDU
(InterNet)
ST0566@APPLELINK.APPLE.COM
(Applelink via InterNet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90  20:40:07 MST
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Creating Auto-UnstuffIt Archives with StuffIt Deluxe

Happy Holidays, Netters:

If someone can cease their holiday revelry for a moment, can you tell me
how one creates an self-unstuffing archive with StuffIt Deluxe?   I've
been examining a friend's copy preparatory to buying it, but I won't if
Aladdin has removed this handy feature from the commercial version.

As a comment on a recent posting, the principle advantages of StuffIt
Deluxe over the shareware versions appear to be in file management.  For
example, you can open more than one archive at a time and copy files from
one archive to another by dragging the entries from one window to another.
You can also read text file, as well as create and open folders within an
archive.

Eric
* Eric L. Peters                     Voice: (303) 491-5343  FAX: 491-0623 *
* Dept. of Radiology & Radiation Biology     BITNET:     EPETERS@CSUGREEN *
* Colorado State University                  INTERNET:           EPETERS@ *
* Fort Collins, CO 80523                       CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 09:59:29 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Desktop Folder Icons?

I normally keep selected folders from three different HDs out on my
desktop.  I'd like to edit the folder icons so folders from different
HDs will have different icons.

I've already discovered I can put distinguishing colors on different
folders; but can I put distinguishing icons on folders from different
HDs, e.g., put the HD's initials inside the folder icon frame?  (I
don't find any folder icons in the Desktop files on the individual
HDs.)

--AES

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 08:11:57 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: DOUBLE CLICK ; DIALOG BUTTON QUESTIONS

I have a couple of programming questions which I hope you folks
can help clarify:
1. Double Click
   What is the proper way to code a double click detection in
   Think C? It seems strange that such a oft used event is not
   and event in the Queue and has to painstakingly coded. What I
   need is a IsDblClick() function that returns true if a double-click
   occurs and false otherwaise, without removing the mousedown
   events from the queue.
2. Dialog Default Button
   I have a dialog with a default "Add" button and a text item. I
   need the user to add in some text by typing into the text item
   and hit the return key to activate the "Add" button.
   I have to code my own Filter function as well for the Modal_Dialog.
   But I found out that doing so, the "Add" button does not highlite
   everytime the return key is hit. Please, can anyone tell me how
   to hilite it?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 17:21 CST
From: "Psigon Matrix....SDL+LDH+ACR" <MARTIN%MSUS2.DECNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Epson hookup to a Mac

I am purchasing an EpsonLQ-510 and am looking for an appropriate way to hook it
up to my Macintosh IIsi.  I have heard both good and bad things about the
grapplerLX and the Graflex and have also heard of another package called
Print Link and its companion cable Parallel Link.  Does anybody have any
experience with these.  Possibly enough experience to make a comparison between
them.  I am especially interested in how the graphics printouts look with
one of these hookups, also if it is really slow at printouts.

Amy Jorgenson
k00004%tigger.decnet@msus1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 DEC 90 00:05:08 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Fonts for DeskWriter

George Tempel Writes :
> Fonts for DeskWriter:  I have a DW on my Mac II...don't waste your money
> buying HP fonts for the system.  Instead (my recommendation only) is to
> spring for Adobe Type Manager and the ATM Plus Pack, and you'll have
> everything that's built into a LaserWriter available for both your SE and
> your DeskWriter.

  There is a point to this i.e. going with ATM + the extra fonts does
give you a very versatile system. However there are a couple of things
to be said for the HP fonts:

1) Despite the fact that ATM fonts are fully rotatable most
applications have not so far been rewritten to account for this. So,
for example, graphs plotted in KaleidaGraph or Igor which use rotated
text on the axes will not print these axis labels in "laser-quality"
typeface unless the font substitution option is on and the HP fonts
are present. Thus with the ATM option you are tied to the four
standard fonts (three discounting courier !!). Whilst going with the
HP extra fonts gives the full 11 or so typefaces. This situation may
change as applications become "ATM aware".
2) SPEED... The HP fonts are marginally faster, although this is not
terribly obvious, especially as I use a print spooler so print speed
is not uppermost in my mind most of the time.

 As a bit of a lame disclaimer, I myself have gone the ATM way but
that was done before discovering the advantages of the HP fonts. In an
ideal (read excessively large amounts of cash) world I would have both
fonts as the ATM on-screen display would be pretty hard to live
without now. Another point :- make sure that you are using the latest
version of the deskwriter driver (I have v A.02.00 or some such
numbering silliness). The first driver managed to shift rotated text
around the page, obscuring the axes of graphs, etc.

Rob Scoffin
===========
Inorganic Chemist of no repute
Oxford
email : scoffin@uk.ac.ox.vax

Disclaimer : All opinions are probably my own, maybe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 9:26:38 EST
From: Ron MacNeil <tyrone%RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HhEeLlPp with Sound Mgr

At our science center we wish to replicate a simple experiment:
  In one ear we will send a sine wave at a certain frequency, in the other, a
  different frequency.

How can I use the Macintosh to do such a thing? In the Sound Manager document
>From Oct 2, 1988 (for SYS 6.0.2) it is said that the sound manager when used
with either the note or sampled sound synthesizer there can only be a single
monophonic channel open.

How then can an application such as SoundEdit use stereo?
By the way I'm using Pascal to create the application.

Please reply directly to me, I will post my findings.
Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

tyrone@RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 21:10:56 EST
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: HP plotters on MAC

I posted a summary of my findings on HP Plotter drivers on MAC-L a day-or-so
ago.  (I lost my copy of that summary.)  In Summary,
MicroPlot from MicroSpot in Cupertino is one solution.  MacConnection has
  it for about $135.  this is the "STD" version which works for 8 1/2 x 11
  plots.  The "PRO" version for larger plots costs more.
PLOTTERgeist is another product from Palomar software near San Diego.

see also the note here:
======================================================================== 17
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 15:13 EST
>From: ARJ91@GENESEO.BITNET
Subject: Mac Plotters
To: jhenry@UTCVM.BITNET

I am not sure how useful a late suggestion is, but for you own info....
You may wish to try the Mesa Graphic Plotter Utility from Mesa Graphics,
Inc., P.O. Box 600, Los Alamos, NM 87544.  Phone (505) 672-1998.

I can't personally vouche for the program, but it is what our physics dept.
uses and likes for their macs.  I believe it has HP drivers.  Good luck.

alex judkins
arj91@geneseo
SUNY Geneseo
Jim Henry
* JHENRY at UTCVM  (BITNET)     * School of Engineering              *
* (615) 755-4398 (office)       * UTC     (Univ. of Tenn. at Chatt.) *
* (615) 886-4398 (home)         * Chattanooga, Tennessee  37403      *
* (615) 755-4025 (FAX)          * U.S.A.                             *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 12:34:34 -0700
From: "Charles R. Oldham" <cro@cs.arizona.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #210

Regarding Mr. Romeiser's message from the 12/14/90 digest

>I've read several messages discussing ways to secure a mouse in a lab.
>How about this: Fold the mouse cord and insert it through the hole in
>a large washer. (Not too large though) Now, you have a loop that you can
>feed the security cable through. Simple! Effective! Cheap!!!
>Clay Romeiser  - University of Kansas student

NO!  We did this in our open access lab and it caused shorts in MANY
of our mouse cables.  We had to replace at least five mice because of
it.

*Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham                    | Bitnet: OLDHAM@ARIZRVAX       *
*Department of Instructional Computing        | Internet:                     *
*Ctr. for Computing Information and Technology| (Preferred)                   *
*University of Arizona                        |   cro@caslon.cs.arizona.edu   *
*Tucson, Arizona                              |or oldham@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu*
*USA                                          |                               *
*(602) 621-9480                               | IXOYE                         *
*  #include <disclaimer.yuk>                                                  *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 15:03 MST
From: Steve <SLOUIE@ccit.arizona.edu>

To Ken Falkenstein, who's having trouble with his PC to Mac transfers.  You'll
need a utility like DeskZap or McSink (both public domain and found in a variety
of places to strip the extra LF off of your data before using in Cricket.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 21:44:52 EST
From: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin)
Subject: Inserting postscript into word 4.0 file

I've got a postscript file on my sun which is a screendump of an X window.
As far as I can tell, its a well formed epsf file.  I don't want to just
paste it into the word file in the postscript style because then I won't be
able to have hidden text visible anymore (I could leave hidden text
visible, but then I'd have 5 pages of "junk" in the middle of my document).
What I'd like to do is somehow paste a combined pict/epsf file like
illustrator produces.  I.e. on the screen I'd see a quickdraw picture, but
printing would use the epsf. Is there any program which will do what I want
(convert ps to combined qd/ps)?  Is there another clean way to stick a
large postscript graphic in the middle of word file without having to
either 1) give up on hidden text or 2) "deal with" a bunch of junk in the
middle of the document?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 16:42:31 EST
From: Chuck Weinstock <weinstoc@sei.cmu.edu>
Subject: Label Making Programs?

Folks,

I'm interested in finding a good label making program for the
Macintosh.  The ideal program would let me create custom graphics and
serialized labels for any of a very wide variety of laserprinter
forms.  In particular, I want to be able to make diskette labels as
well as shipping labels, return address labels, etc.  Printing
envelopes would be nice, but is not a real requirement.

I've encountered a ton of programs in the various catalogs that I
have, with hardly any way to distinquish between them.  Have any of
you used any of these programs (or others), and if so could you
comment on them?

MacEnvelope 5.0
MacEnvelope Plus 2.0
MacLabelPro
FastLabel 2.0
My "Advanced" LabelMaker

Thanks.

Chuck Weinstock
weinstock@sei.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 1990 15:09:09 PST
From: Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: macneko?

"xneko" is a cute little UNIX hack that uses X.
Is there an equivalent program that runs on the Macintosh?

Thanks,
Mike

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 17:55:00 EDT
From: "JS::GRIGSBYJ" <grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Mac TCP/IP

                          E L E C T R O N I C   M A I L
                     (DDN Host Address:  V3.HANSCOM.AF.MIL)

                                        Date:      17-Dec-1990 17:55
                                        From:      Capt James H. Grigsby
                                        Username:  GRIGSBYJ
                                        Dept:      ESD/JSTE
                                        Tel No:    377-5439

TO:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU] )

I am interested in connecting a network consisting of 8 Mac IIs into a
Internet host.  If anyone can provide any recommendation for hardware/software
(i.e. Mac TCP/IP prgrams), I would appreciate it.  Please provide direct
e-mail responses to:

	jhg@gw1.hanscom.af.mil

Thanks in advance.

                            CAPT JAMES H. GRIGSBY

Commercial: (617)377-5439    DSN 478-5439    Fax: (617)275-9631
                                                   DSN 478-5577
                Network: grigsbyj%js.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil

                                MAIL: ESD/JST
                                      HANSCOM AFB, MA 01731-5000

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 05:31:01 -0800
From: CEBESS%KOESS.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com       (Charles Bess (317)240-5518)
Subject: Microsoft Mail to simple mail

Does anyone know of a good product/tool for allowing Microsoft Mail to access
SMTP (Unix mail)? Thanks

Charles E. Bess                 Internet: CEBESS@koess.gm.hac.com
Electronic Data Systems         Dial-8  : 8-360-5518
Suite 100C                      AT&T    : (317) 240-5518
2601 Fortune Circle East,       FAX     : (317) 240-5622
Indianapolis, IN 46241-5513     CPS     : 72437,3132
                                America OnLine : CEBess

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 20:53:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "Brian J. Papa" <bp12+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: More Postscript Questions

   Here is another Mac generated postscript to non-Laserwriter(TM)s question:

       I know how to generate postscript on the mac, ftp it to unix, and
convert it, using macps, to postscript code that will print on the unix
printers( usually a Dataproducts LZR 1260 (interpreter version 47.0),
but sometimes a Apple LW+).  The problem is that I don't have enough
space(1 meg) in my unix account to have both the original document and a
macps'ed copy of it if I am trying to print a large doc.

        So, is there a macps for macs, or a way to hack a copy of the
laserwriter driver to generate "good" postscript?  I hae already hacked
in the disk file box so that generating the postscript is easy.

        Any suggestions(other than get a bigger quota) ?

-Brian
bp12+@andrew.cmu.edu
MechE, Class of '93
Carngie Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 1990 16:23:46 PST
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: Re>turning LWs off

Date    12/18/90
Subject Re>turning LWs off
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

If you are the main user of your LaserWriter, I suggest you turn it off when
you are done using it.  It draws 7.6 amps, half of a typical 15 amp household
circuit.

If you are in an office where some people cannot physically see whether the
LaserWriter is on or off, leave it on while everyone is at work.

If you and others use it infrequently and can see whether it's powered or not,
just remember that it uses as much power and generates as much heat as a small
hair dryer.

Kee Nethery

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 11:40:55 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Reports 2.0

Has anybody had any good/bad experiences with Reports 2.0 from
Nine-to-Five Software?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 0:06:32 MET DST
From: "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it>
Subject: SCSIProbe and System 6.0.7

I have system 6.0.7 running on a Mac II with the Apple CD-ROM connected
to the SCSI port.

I have not gotten SCSIProbe 2.03 to work. If I boot the mac without the
cdrom turned on and then I turn it on and insert a disk and then try to
mount it with scsiprobe....it doesn't run :-(

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Vincenzo.
---------
Vincenzo G. Capuano
capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 10:51:23 EST
From: Roberto.Bisiani@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: SCSI to Color Display

Is there a color monitor interface that connects to SCSI instead of
NUBUS and can work with the portable? Thanks, Roberto Bisiani
School of CS, Carnegie Mellon.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:33:14 PST
From: rogers@marlin.nosc.mil (Rollo D. Rogers)
Subject: security software.

Would you be so kind as to include this in the next info-mac list. thanks.
-------
Fellow Mac'ers,

Does anyone know where i can obtain a program that will prevent writing
to the internal disk volume, but must also allow read and execute
access to files already stored on the hard drive.

The object is to provide the user with a tool to help prevent inadvertently
writing a classified file to the internal drive, while processing classified.

  REgards, RollO~~
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 22:51:42 EST
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System error

Hi! I was wonsering if a system error # 1,0 (line 1111 trap error) can be
caused by a problem not related to arry boundaries. If so, what are the most
probable candidates. Thanks for any information. Jean.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: 514-987-4897/ res: 514-659-5864   *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 14:02:04 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Wanted: HyperMIDI Stack

There exists a Shareware product called "HyperMIDI" or "HyperMIDI Toolkit."
It provides XCMDs and XFCNs for accessing MIDI devices from Hypercard --
I have seen several references to this product, and other stacks accrediting
it.  However, I was unable to find it anywhere on The Net or on Compuserve.

Could someone out there please either point me to a source (I have access to
the Internet, GEnie & Compu$erve, but The Net is preferred for obvious reasons
8-) ...or submit it to the Info-Mac archives..?  Thank you in advance...

___________________________
Jurgen Botz, Academic Software Consultant
   Academic Computing                            internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet
   Mount Holyoke College                              Compuserve: 70531,600
   South Hadley, MA 01075, USA                     Voice: (US) 413-538-2375

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 14:39:37 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: WW-GUIDE-SYS-SOFT.HQX AT APPLE.COM

Apple has recently posted a file called
ww-guide-sys-soft.hqx at apple.com in pub/dts/mac/docs.
I have downloaded this 2Meg file twice with bitftp. Each time
I unhqx it using stuffit, it gave an CRC error. Has
anyone successfully unstuffed this file?

Please reply to ISSTTH@NUSVM.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 00:22:11 EST
From: s74205@ursa.calvin.edu (Michael D. Esser)
Subject: Zoom Modems

I am looking into buying a cheap 2400 baud modem, mainly for the purpose
of hooking into the college's computer system from home.  I got an advert.
>From Zoom Modems that said they were selling a 2400 baud (w/ MNP5?? -
the college uses MNP 4) for $119.  Does anyone have experience
with them, if so how have their products preformed?  I hear the started out
pretty chintzy but have gotten better.  Their v.42 modem is rated very highly
in the January issue of MacUser.  What other modems are out there in this
market segment?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Esser

               send email to s74205@Ursa.Calvin.Edu