Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/24/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 23 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 215

Today's Topics:

      [*] Better Calendar Stack
      [*] BinHqx 1.02
      [*] CAfterDark20.hqx
      [*] dataThief.sit.hqx
      [*] Hextris
      [*] MacBoom 1.0
      [*] Open Wide 1.2 init
      [*] PopChar Version 1.3
      [*] QRead DA 2.3
      [*] submitting "FontInfo DA 1.0"
      [*] Support Tools eXtenals 1.2.5
      [*] Tiff Format docs Rev. 5
      BinHqx DA: how can I reach its author ??
      Correction on System availability
      Cutting Edge HD
      Ehman 45MB Removable HD Problems
      English Language Training Software
      Galaxy system - Programming Environment / Digital Circuit CAD
      Liason
      Recommendations for extended keyboards
      Scanned text to real text
      Stuff StuffIt (Classic) 1.6

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 00:49:11 -0600
From: dnewman@emx.utexas.edu (David Newman)
Subject: [*] Better Calendar Stack

The enclosed stack is a response to the recent Calendar stack posted
on comp.sys.mac.binaries (I think).  I downloaded that stack to compare
it to my own stack, and disvered that my own stack (IMHO) was much
better.  My stack is verifiablyly faster at the exact same function,
it requires only one card per calendar year, and it allows one to
look at multiple calendars in the same stack.  Plus, the other stack
ws $5 shareware, and this stack is freeware.  Enjoy,

>>Dave

dnewman@emc.utexas.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/calendar.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 02:37:13 PST
From: physi-hf@garnet.berkeley.edu (Howard Haruo Fukuda)
Subject: [*] BinHqx 1.02

  After downloading some files from the um-mts.cc.umich.edu archives, I found
that BinHqx 1.01 has problems when spaces are inserted in the middle of
archives.  This seems to happen occasionally after a line-feed.  1.02 corrects
that problem.

  BinHqx is a Desk Accessory that does BinHex 4.0 translation in addition to
file joining/splitting.  Major advantages are convenience and speed, but it
is ShareWare.  Please register your copy.

[Archvied as /info-mac/da/binhqx-102.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 01:54:36 -0600
From: Jeff Francis <jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: [*] CAfterDark20.hqx

                               CAfterDark 2.0
                       (c) Copyright Jeff Francis 1990

Introduction
 -----------
CAfterDark is a base class that allows you to write graphics modules
for Berkeley Systems' After Dark in terms of an object based
abstraction.  The base class, CAfterDark, provides the default behavior
for a graphics module by simply blanking the screen.  Subclasses can
then add or change this basic behaviour.  CAfterDark 2.0 now supports
After Dark 2.0.  This version has been tested on a SE and a IIfx with
a 8.24GC card.

Disclaimer and Copyright Notice (i.e., # of Lawyers >> # of Programmers!)
The software and accompanying instructions for use are provided
"as is" without warranty of any kind.  Further, Jeff Francis, does
not warrant, guarantee, or make any representation regarding the use
of the software or accompanying instructions in terms of correctness,
accuracy, currentness, or otherwise.

(c) Copyright Jeff Francis 1990.  Permission is granted to make and
distribute copies of this software, provided this disclaimer and
copyright notice are preserved on all copies.  The software may not,
however, be sold or distributed for profit, or included with other
software which is sold or distributed for profit, without the
permission of the author.

CAfterDark is free.  There is no shareware fee.

Files
 ----
ADGMTypes.h - Enumerations, typedefs and defines for an 'ADgm'
code resource.

GlueCode.[ch] - Glues the regular "main" interface to our class
based interface.  You will need to change GlueCode.h so that it
creates an instance of your subclass.  See GlueCode.h for more
information.

CAfterDark.[ch] - The base class for all graphics modules

CProjectile.* - An example subclass

Other Work in Progress
 ---------------------
I'm currently developing what I call "Screen Saver Physics" graphics
modules.  These savers provide simple animated physical systems.  Two
of the classes, CAnimator and CAnimatedObject, provide a simple animation
facility.  Also, some of the CAnimatedObject subclasses may be reusable.
I'll make all of this stuff available when I'm finished.

FYI - The base class, CAfterDark, was never meant to be very useful
on its own.  My hope is to develop a general set of CAfterDark
subclasses that can be subclassed and composed to build bigger and
better After Dark graphics modules with minimal effort.

Contact Me At
 ------------
Jeff Francis
CS Student, University of Iowa
jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
(319) 354-0765

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/think-c-cafterdark-20.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 10:35:04 -0800
From: Stuart Strand <sstrand@milton.u.washington.edu>
Subject: [*] dataThief.sit.hqx

Kees Huyser <keeshu@nikhefk.nikhef.nl> at the National Institute for
Nuclear Physics, Netherlands, has written a program called DataThief.
This program opens a Macpaint-format, scanned image of a scatterplot and,
after you input the range of the x and y axes and click on the points of
interest,outputs a table of numerical values of x and y values for the points.
I have tested the program and it performs these functions admirably.  Also,
humorous opening screen and sounds!  It also has some capablility for
handling error bars, but I did not test this function.  This program is free
but not in the public domain.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/data-thief.hqx; 96K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 13:08:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Ross Ward Comer <rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] Hextris

Here's something new, hot off the presses.  This is the first release,
and I have not sent it to anyone else.  I would appreciate it if you
could send this as far and wide as possible (archives, comp.bin.mac,
etc).  I would appreciate if you could keep my name in the header.

Thanks for your help,
ross

Ross Comer                |   ARPA:   rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu
PO Box 262, CMU           |   Bitnet: rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, Pa.  15213    |   UUCP:   ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!rc3h

Announcing Hextris, an exciting new game for the Macintosh.  Bored of
Tetris?  Don't feel challenged?  Then try Hextris!  Pieces made of
hexes drop from the top of the screen as you rush to rotate and move
them to fit into the rows at the bottom.  Filling a row makes it
dissappear and all rows above move down.  The pace quickens the better
you get, so watch out.

Originally written for X Windows by Dave Markley (dm3e+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Ported to Macintosh by Ross Comer (rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu)

Hextris is Shareware ($10).  Source code is available.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/hextris.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 90 10:50:05 EST
From: Sambo McLane <P5077G%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] MacBoom 1.0

Here is MacBoom 1.0, a freeware version of Kaboom, the old activision ame for
the atari.  It was written by Tony Brietzman, and he only asks that you send hi
m a line (at p5077g@templevm) if you download it, to tell him  what you think.
Please report any bugs, or give your suggestions to the same address.
                                                    thanks,
                                                           Sambo...

[Archived as /info-mac/game/macboom.hqx; 87K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 9:08:38 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] Open Wide 1.2 init

Here is Open-Wide init version 1.2 by James W. Walker.  This init
changes the standard open and close file dialog boxes so that the entire file
name can be seen.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/open-wide-12.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 09:06:45 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] PopChar Version 1.3

This is version 1.3 of the PopChar INIT/cdev.

New features since version 1.1:
 * nicer pop-up window on color/gray-scale monitors
 * optionally shows the ASCII code of selected characters
 * more sophisticated determination of the proper font size
   (can show any available font size between 8 and 48)
 * compatibility with Adobe Type Reunion

For those who do not know what PopChar is:
PopChar replaces Key Caps and Character Map. Whenever you need
a special character, simply click in the top-left corner of the
screen. A pop-up window with all available characters will appear.
Select the desired character and PopChar will insert it in your
text at the current insertion point. Additionally, PopChar shows
the proper key combination required to generated the selected
character.

PopChar is FREE. Enjoy it.
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447
                         Fax:   +43 (732) 2468 / 10

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/pop-char-13.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 90 21:23:04 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: [*] QRead DA 2.3

Here is new version of QREAD to replace v2.2 in the archive.

                        ====================
                            QREAD DA 2.3
                        ====================

This is a DA mini-editor for view any file as text, somewhat like the Unix
command "strings" does.  You can use it as a quick reader of any file,
or a text editor with basic text edit ability.

Features:

o  It can do regular Mac text editing, find, print.  Also it displays the
   file type, size and creator information.
o  For file larger than 32K (TextEdit limit), you can still read the file
   (but not edit).
o  QRead uses all the fonts available on the system, you can edit in other
   language if you are running a special international system, such as Chinese
   or Japanese.
o  Supposed you are using a Mac mainland Chinese system, you can conviniently
   edit file in Chinese (shifted GuoBiao, or SGB), convert it to Hanzi ASCII
   format to send it through email, or read Hanzi file and then interactively
   convert it to Chinese. The original filter code for conversion was written
   by Lee Fung Fung of Stanford.  (In next version, I'll put in conversion
   to another Chinese format HGB, which is used in newest Chinese OS).

QRead is free.  Try it out.  I myself use it very often.  Source codes can be
obtained on request.  Report any bugs to:

        wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu
        Huangxin Wang, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Pennsylvania.

************
Bugs fixed and improvements in QRead2.3
************
*    Be able to read (but read only) file larger than 32 K.
*    Fix porblem in copy, cut and paste (TEScrap and system scrap differs!);
	 properly update in cut and paste.
*    larger open dialog box (as in Stufflt 1.5.1,  I hate the small default
     open box in SF package).

[Archived as /info-mac/da/qread-23.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 11:54:42 +0100
From: SP_vdBurgt%pttrnl.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: [*] submitting "FontInfo DA 1.0"

This DA is already sent to CBM.

[FontInfo DA 1.0]

Here's a freeware DA that a friend of me wrote and which I like very
much. It's (yet another?) replacement for the keycaps DA from Apple
called FontInfo.

FontInfo is a Desk Accessory intended to make it easy to find
characters you can't see on the keyboard and to insert them into your
documents.

FontInfo shows you all characters in a font and tells you how to type
them from a keyboard by telling you what keystrokes to make each time
you click on a character. Several font sizes can be selected (useful
since the character sets differ slightly for different font sizes).

FontInfo can also show the character code in decimal, hexadecimal and
octal representation.

FontInfo can also insert these characters for you into a document or
into the clipboard.

The author is:

        Theo Vosse,
        Nijmegen Institute of Cognitive Science and Information Technology
        University of Nijmegen
        P.O. Box 9104
        6500 HR  Nijmegen
        the Netherlands

        vosse@hnykun53.bitnet
        vosse@psych.kun.nl

==
   S.P. van de Burgt                       PTT Research, Neher Labs
                                           PO Box 421, Leidschendam
   E-mail: SP_vdBurgt@pttrnl.nl            the Netherlands

[Archived as /info-mac/da/font-info.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 1990 16:41:57 PST
From: "Frank Callaham" <frankc@skat.usc.edu>
Subject: [*] Support Tools eXtenals 1.2.5

Below, please find 'Support Tools eXtenals 1.2.5' from Apple:

    For those of you with AppleLink access we've posted version 1.2.4
of the stack.  For those of you on Internet, we're working on it.  New
since version 1.1 are a number of externals, a lot of source code, and
many rewrites.  We are trying to get all of the source out but haven't
managed to clean up everything yet, but if anyone really needs source
for something not included drop us a note and we can probably work
something out.

    Please pass this along to whomever you wish, post it to bulletin
boards, whatever.  The standard Apple-owned stuff applies for anyone
using it in a commercial application (contact Apple Software Licensing
at (408) 996-1010), otherwise use it any way that you want.

    Thanks again for the feedback, we are always anxious to hear more.

Eric Carlson        ALink: CYNIC
Anup Murarka        ALink: SKEPTIC
Support Tools Development

The regular "what is this" blurb follows...

    Support Tools eXtenals 1.2.4 is collection of 50 HyperCard XCMDs
and XFCNs, some quite useful and some very unusual.  The stack (HC
1.2.x format) contains an example of the use of each external, a
method of sending feedback (or prizes) back to the authors, and the
source code (Pascal) for most is included as well.  Externals included
are (names followed by two stars (**) indicate source code is
included):

   AppleLinkAddrBk
   ApplicationList
   ApplMemory
   ApplSize **
   AUXisRunning **
   CDDriveList
   CopyStruct
   CurrAppPath **
   DiskIsRemovable **
   DiskSpaceAvail **
   DocumentCreator
   DragRect **
   EjectDisk **
   FileCreationDate **
   FileCreator **
   FileExists **
   FileModDate **
   FilePath **
   FileSize **
   FileType **
   FileVersion **
   FolderContents **
   FolderPath **
   HFSCopy
   HFSRename
   INITList **
   LocalVolumeList **
   MenuShowing **
   MFIsRunning
   MonitorCount **
   MonitorConfig
   NumToBinary **
   NumToHex **
   OpenFiles **
   PlotFinderICN
   PlotPICT
   PrintContainer
   RedrawDesktop **
   SCSIInfo
   SCSIIDToName **
   SCSINumber **
   SetDefaultDir
   SyQuestDriveList
   SysEnvironment **
   System Path **
   TotalRam
   UnmountVolume **
   VolumeIsLocked **
   VolumeList **
   VolumePath **

    Earlier versions of this stack have been (and hopefully will continue to
be) on the Developer's CD.  Expect to see a HC 2.0 version before too long.
Feedback appreciated.

Eric Carlson
Anup Murarka
Support Tools Development
Apple

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/support-externals-125-part1.hqx; 190K
             /info-mac/card/xcmd/support-externals-125-part2.hqx; 150K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 22:02:18 CST
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Tiff Format docs Rev. 5

This is resubmission of the Tiff document file. It is Revision 5
and should replace the Revision 4 document in misc/tiff-format-file.txt.
This is a text file stuffed and binhexed. It is much larger than Rev.4.

Here is the Tiff format docuemt downloaded from the Adobe forum
on Compuserve. It is the complete file spec. You can get additional
stuff from Adobe directly if you want to pay them about $50. Things
like sample Tiff readers and other useful code.
The most interesting thing about the format spec (to me anyway)
is that the Tiff format ID number is 42. The docs state this number
will never change and was chosen for it's deep philosophical significance.
Readers of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy will recognize that
number as the answer to life, the universe and everything. Who says
programmers don't have a sense of humor.

Ian Sights   c277839@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/tiff-format-rev-5.hqx; 80K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 19:44 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BinHqx DA: how can I reach its author ??

Hi All,

I just wanted to send a BinHqx DA 1.0 bug report to the author
Howard Haruo Fukuda <hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu>, but got the following reply
>From the postman @andrew.cmu.edu:

>The following message from ``STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@EMBL.BITNET'' could
>not be delivered to ``hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu'' because:
>There is no such addressee as ``hf07+'' in domain andrew.cmu.edu.

Does anybody on the net know where he can be reached electronically ?
Please let me know or reply to the Digest.
Thanks in advance,

                   Pieter Stouten
                   <stouten@embl.bitnet>
                   <stouten@embl-heidelberg.de>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 20:59:54 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Correction on System availability

On Wed, 19 Dec 1990 22:34:17 EST you said:
>If a dealer refuses to give you...say...6.0.7 in place of your original
>6.0.5 disks... THEY _could_ lose their DEALER status... I kid you not on this!

Has there been a recent change in policy?  A year or two when the issue
came up over the release of a new set of IIgs system disks, the engineers
AT APPLE explained that Apple's policy was to *encourage* dealers to
permit copying, but not require them to do so.  Apple has, in fact, a posted
price for system upgrades (which includes manuals).

How does one become an "Apple student rep?"  If our campus has one he/she
certainly keeps a LOW profile!

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 21:30 EST
From: LLEDUC%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Cutting Edge HD

that I am a satisfied owner of 60 MG Cutting Edge HD. Nevertheless, I have
a couple of complaints about them. Firstly, they are a bit noisy compared to
the Apple HD inside my Mac SE. Secondly, and this is where I am seeking some
help, the Cutting Edge makes a rattling noise when a shutdown my Mac. I
believe that it is a vibration in the read/write arm but I'm not sure. I am
wondering if this rattling will eventually damage my hard disk. In an attempt
to alleviate the noise, I used a SCSI parker but the noise is still audible
although slightly different.  Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Please respond directly to me and I'll post the results if I get enough
feedback. Many thanks in advance.

Leo G. Leduc
Dept. of Biology
Laurentian University
Sudbury, Ontario
CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 08:40:59 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Ehman 45MB Removable HD Problems

Stanford's purchasing agent, "Low-Bid Larry", recently stuck us with a
couple of Ehman 45MB Removable HDs (the SyQuest mechanism).

My impression of them wasn't helped when practically nothing in their
manuals matched up with the actual hardware or software (directions
for removing the internal termination didn't match the hardware;
software instructions and file names didn't match what was actually on
the installation floppy); but they do seem to work OK

Except, I started getting repeated system bombs some weeks after these
drives were installed (Error = 03).  The crashes usually occur some
time after the system has been restarted, often when the machine is
not even being used.  They might be triggered by DiskExpress II or On
Location starting up some background activity; I don't think either of
these programs is faulty, however.

Questions:

1.  Anyone else have similar problems?  Is this the dreaded "System
Heap" problem?

2.  One oddity: There's an INIT comes with the drives, supposed to go
in the System folder, to configure the Mac for the drives.  I can
remove this INIT, restart, and the drives are still recognized.  Does
this INIT only need to run once (installs one resource, or something)?
Could running it multiple times do something?

3.  Is there other, better, maybe commercial driver software that I could use
to run these drives?  Or am I stuck with what Ehman supplied, which I
don't trust?

[My system is an SE/30, internal HD and an external DataFrame HD (all
properly daisy-chained and terminated with the Ehman unit), 8 MB,
running System 6.0.5, no MultiFinder, multiple other INITs but no
known dangerous ones.]

--AES   siegman@sierra.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: 23 Dec 90 12:59:15+0100
From: Jacob Palme QZ <JPALME@qz.qz.se>
Subject: English Language Training Software

Does anyone know of any language-training software for the Macintosh,
especially for the training of use of the English language. I
intend to use it for my son, to whom English is a second language,
but software for training English for people with English as
their first language would probably also be useful.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 16:00:04 EST
From: jeffrey templon <templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Galaxy system - Programming Environment / Digital Circuit CAD

Hello All,

	This note is to inform interested parties that there is a new
set of programs, collectively called the Galaxy system, available by
anonymous ftp.  The machine is eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu, the programs
are in directory pub/galaxy.  They are in unix 'tar' format so you will
either have to unpack the stuff on a unix machine and then transfer to
your mac, or get mactar (or whatever it is called, I know it has tar
in the name) off sumex, in the unix or util directories, copy the
'tar' archives in binary mode to your mac, and use mactar to unpack.

briefly, galaxy is both the name of a new programming language and
an environment under which it runs.  a digital circuit design and analysis
package, called galaxy CAD, has been written in galaxy.  both of these
packages are available at the above location.  it is not necessary to
download the programming language part to use the CAD system.

the program is free (at least for now.)  the author has stated he will
place an announcement in comp.sys.mac.apps (or whatever it is called.)
i place this announcement here because I figure many of you may not read
this group.  for those of you with real news access, you might still find
the original announcement in comp.archives, or if not in the comp.archives
archives.

	Please do not contact me with requests for the software as you
do not have ftp, or tar, or whatever, and please don't send me questions.
i don't know any more than what's in the documentation.  i only want
to make sure you people find out about it.  i have informed the author
about stuffit format being more convenient for MacPeople, and he has
conversion of the distribution from tar to SIT on his (long) list of things
to do.

				Jeff Templon

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 13:55:37 EST
From: saper@norway.biop.umich.edu (Mark A. Saper (313)764-3353)
Subject: Liason

Can anyone tell me what Asante Liason (Liaison) software does, and do I need
it to run TCP/IP and NCSA Telnet from my Mac?  Does the Asante Ethernet cards
come with MacTCP?  Where do I get MacTCP and how much should it cost?

Thanks, Mark Saper, U-Michigan

(Please answer directly to me)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 15:04:34 EST
From: Sari Khoury <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Recommendations for extended keyboards

     I am interested in buying an extended keyboard. I would like any recommend
ations. I heard that the DataDesk is a good one. Thanks in advance...

Sari Khoury                    BITNET  : 3XMQGAA@CMUVM
Art Department                 Internet: skhoury@postcard.engin.umich.edu
Central Michigan University    UUCP    : "psuvax1"!cmuvm.bitnet!3xmqgaa
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 10:37:10 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scanned text to real text

On Mon, 17 Dec 90 16:02:49 EST you said:
>I am looking for a program that can convert scanned text (i.e. the image of
>text generated by a scanner) into real text (i.e. text that can be worked
>on by a word processor).  Free-ware or share-ware would be great but I'd
>like to know what's available.

What you're asking for is Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
I'd be astonished if you find any shareware versions just yet.  There are
several commercial products (and numerous vaporware programs).  I suspect
the best known at this point is OmniPage which is a VERY capable (but also
VERY expensive -- on the order of $800 I think).  Our Mac lab has OmniPage,
and when it succeeds it's amazing (preserves bold face, italics, centering,
etc.).

Until recently, OCR programs tended have great difficulty with proportional
spaced type which restricted their utility.  If you find something
inexpensive, you may find that it's older software that can only translate
monospaced font typewriter documents (may be enough for many purposes).

Even the expensive stuff (OmniPage) struggles a LOT when the original isn't
a crisp, clear copy.  I scanned in a page of FAX last week and OmniPage
got about 85% of it (easier to clean up the text than to retype the
whole thing).

Several of the programs reported to be forthcoming (first half of the
new year) promise list prices in the $400-$500 range.  That's progress,
but leads to mail order prices ($225?) which probably will still be
higher than what you have in mind.

Happy Holidays.

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 22:17:43 EST
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: Stuff StuffIt (Classic) 1.6

>>...The only significant facility that StuffIt 1.6 seems to
>>offer over Compactor is the BinHex translators.

The soon-to-be-released version 1.3 of Compactor has binhex translators.

> I've noticed one other feature.  LOTS of other utilties (FileList for
> example) recognize StuffIT archives and will "look" inside them.

I believe that this is only true of the older 'SIT!' archives, and not of the
newer 'SITD' archives.  Aladdin is not releasing the latter format to the
public.  Of course, they could sell the format to other utility writers, but
then so could Bill Goodman (Compactor's author) sell his format.

> There's so much already in the archives in StuffIT (not self extracting)
> format, that it's difficult to justify not registering for StuffIT.

You can always use UnStuffIt, which is freeware.  And there is also the
SitToCpt utility.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet

End of Info-Mac Digest