Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/25/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 24 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 216

Today's Topics:

      [*] Alpha 3.01
      [*] Bonk
      [*] card/alb-Animated-Buttons-15.hqx
      [*] card/SoundCollection.hqx
      [*] HMG ResEdit Primer 5.1
      [*] IFS Fractal Movie
      [*] maxfix.sit
      [*] NIH Image 1.33f
      [*] OpenFileSpy 1.1
      [*] PacketMacs165.hqx
      [*] Puz'lings 1.0 stack - Puzzles for Learning
      [*] QuarkXpress Zapper Vn. 2
      [*] RedLetter laser font
      [*] Regions Package
      [*] Remember? 2.1.1
      [*] repost of monty.sea.hqx
      [*] SunDeskStrip
      [*] SystemSwitcher 1.1
      [*] TypesettingMarks
      Answer to Igor Question
      Backup
      Compactor Problem
      disable ImageWriter's FF
      Help with HC 2.0
      Inserting postscript into word 4.0 file
      More Postscript Questions
      Printing PostScript Files
      Stuff StuffIt (Classic) 1.6
      Textures 1.3 and CM/PS Fonts 0.9: Several Steps in the Wrong
      Translating Apple II (ProDOS) files to Macintosh format

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 19:28:18 CST
From: pete@rice.edu (Pete)
Subject: [*] Alpha 3.01

	Alpha 3.01 is the programming editor for the rest of us. The
	Mac paradigm is fully supported, yet the professional programmer
	is free to use shortcuts to any command. Every function in
	Alpha can be accessed via the mouse OR keyboard shortcuts.

FEATURES:
	- standard Mac interface
        - keyboard and named macros
        - mapping of any function (over 150 available)
	  or macro to any key
	- can be customized extensively (can be configured
 	  as a coke-bottle emacs)
        - unlimited undo/redo
        - extensive online help
	- electric braces and semicolons
        - window tiling
        - unlimited named markers and buffers
	- external user-programmed commands
	- user-definable menu
	- word wrap to window or 'fillColumn'
	- support for foreign keyboards
	- saving of backups to a different directory
	- macros can be automatically executed when
	  files with specified suffix are opened
	- font selection
	- reads or writes Unix files
        - and Many, Many, More...

ALPHA is shareware and has a fee of $25.

Pete Keleher                                    pete@rice.edu

		Peter Keleher
		P.O. Box #1892
		Department of Computer Science
		Rice University
		Houston, Texas 77251-1892

[Archived as /info-mac/app/alpha-301.hqx; 260K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 15:15:52 EST
From: darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh)
Subject: [*] Bonk

Hello, I'm Mike Darweesh. I'm mailing this to you as a cover-letter for
5 files to follow. I've created a pretty neat Macintosh game called Bonk that I
would like added to your archives. Its shareware, I'm the sole Author, and if
you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me:

E-mail (until Dec 20): weesh@crd.ge.com
E-mail (after Dec 20): es1o@andrew.cmu.edu

Mike Darweesh
68 Kensington Ct
Rochester, NY 14612

[Archived as /info-mac/game/bonk-part1.hqx; 210K
             /info-mac/game/bonk-part2.hqx; 208K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 90 11:14 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] card/alb-Animated-Buttons-15.hqx

Alberto;s Animated Buttons Stack
shareware - $15
by Alberto Ricci
   Corso De G
   asperi, 45
   10129 Torino, Italy
This stack shows you how to use HyperCard
   scripting, without XCMDs or XFCNs, to create scroll bars, animated buttons, w
   indows and more!
Send me comments, suggestions, bugs...

[Archived as /info-mac/card/animated-buttons.hqx; 111K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 90 11:16 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] card/SoundCollection.hqx

Sound Collection Stack
Shareware - $8
by Alberto Ricci
   Corso De Gasperi, 45

     10129 Torino, Italy
This stack is useful when collecting sound resources:
   you can copy them in the stack, and use the buttons to play the sounds. You c
   an group the sounds in different categories.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/sound-collection.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 16:27:00 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] HMG ResEdit Primer 5.1

This application is basically the greatest manual around for using with
ResEdit.  It shows you the many tricks about customizing the finder,
creating/updating icons, managing that pesky invisible Desktop file, etc.
I downloaded it from America Online, compressed it with Stuffit Classic
and BinHex'd it.  Enjoy!
Here's a little bit of text...

NOTE:  This FINAL version (5.1) of HMG ResEdit Primer has been rewritten for
use with Apple Computer's ResEdit (Resource Editor) Program version 2.02 or
greater.

As everyone knows, the Macintosh is a very versatile and productive computer.
But all work and no play makes life dull.  Apple gave us the interface with
cursors, menus, icons, dialogs, etc., but after a while they can get very
boring.  However, Apple also gave us the "tool" to change these items (aka
resources) to our own taste and liking with a program called ResEdit.  The
problem is, there is very little documentation available on how to use this
program.  The documentation that does exist is mostly obscure and has to be
sifted out of (pieced together from) hundreds of pages of the "Inside
Macintosh" manuals (which aren't cheap to purchase).

Though I'm not a programmer, I feel fairly knowledgeable and comfortable using
ResEdit to modify existing applications and files (including system files like
the finder, system and desktop).  It has taken me quite a long time to get to
this stage, since I had no one to teach me.  Most of my knowledge has come
>From "trial and error" (with many system crashes).  That's why I decided to
put together an easy but comprehensive manual on ResEdit, to help you "unravel
the mysteries of the Mac".

posted for and with permission of HMG by:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:        perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu  <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>                                                <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/resedit-primer-51.hqx; 261K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 08:21:27 -0600
From: "Kevin D. Lee" <kdlee@cs.umn.edu>
Subject: [*] IFS Fractal Movie

IFS Fractal Movie is an animation of a series of fractal images.  The
images are created using iterated function systems.  In this first movie
a point grows into a claw like shape then to a line.  Along the way you
see a Sierpinski traingle.  The movie can be run forwards, backwards or
cycle at 5 different speeds.  The fractal images can be copied or pasted
to the clipboard.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/ifs-fractal-movie.hqx; 172K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 01:30:48 -0500
From: russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto)
Subject: [*] maxfix.sit

This archive contains the source and binaries for an INIT to solve the problem
of the strangeness at the right of the screen when using MaxAppleZoom in
monochrome mode.  An explanation of the problem is also included.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/max-apple-fix.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 11:28:01 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL%VMTECQRO.qro.itesm.mx@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] NIH Image 1.33f

Attached below you will find the NIH Image 1.33 image processing application,
in sit.hqx format. It is preceded by its Changes file, in plain text.
Both were fetched from alw.nih.gov, with whom I have no connection,
other than being a happy Image user.

Enjoy,

Juan Courcoul
Monterrey Tech
Mexico

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-133.hqx; 288K
             /info-mac/app/image-131-docs.hqx; 189K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 20:28 EDT
From: "G. Watts -- Rochester" <WATTS@urpas>
Subject: [*] OpenFileSpy 1.1

Here is Version 1.1 of OpenFileSpy.

OpenFileSpy is a small utility I wrote for the MultiFinder Mac Environment.  It
is an application (instead of a desk acc.) that will close open files -- as
well as display a little window of info about them (the stuff the mac keeps in
its FCB blocks).

This utility is meant for programmers, I suppose.  I wrote it because the Close
File Desk Accessory kept crashing my SE/30 (5 MB, 40Mb HD, and lots of inits).
It needs a 100K partition from MultiFinder.  It will run under mono-Finder.

It will: Display a list of open files on the system, updated about once a
second.  It will display a little info on each file (also updated about once a
second).  Finally, it will allow you to close an open file.

This is shareware.  If you think you will find it useful, please send $5 to
Gordon Watts, 96 Rose Street, Metuchen, NJ, 09940.  An extra 5 bucks will get
you a disk with all the source code.

This thing is Copyright 1990, by Gordon Watts.  Portions are Copyright by
Symantic Corp (Think C 4.0).

Included in the bin-hexex, SuffIt'd file:
	This message
	A HyperCard Help Stack
	The Application, "OpenFileSpy 1.1"

You can redistribute this thing, as long as the above items are all included in
the distribution (though I give you permission to fix my horrible spelling!).

---> New features include: New Help Stack, better Multifinder behavior, dialog
boxes to prevent you doing anything nasty and more (see hypercard stack).

	Gordon.

Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: watts@rutphy.rutgers.edu
HEPNET: urhep::watts
USNET: Dept. of Physics and Astro.
	University of Rochester
	Rochester, NY
	14627-0011

[Archived as /info-mac/util/open-file-spy-11.hqx; 106K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 15:35:36 PST
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] PacketMacs165.hqx

A HyperCard stack listing the Macintosh using hams that are active on packet
radio.  This version of the stack lists 118 of us.  Please contact Ray N6PHJ
or Dick KD5VU if you qualify and wish to be added.

This is a binhexed Compactor archive.

Ray
rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com

[Archived as /info-mac/card/packet-macs-165.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 22:58:02 MST
From: "Udi Manber" <udi@cs.arizona.edu>
Subject: [*] Puz'lings 1.0 stack - Puzzles for Learning

Puz'lings - Puzzles for Learning - is a hypercard stack (~200K) containing
a collection of puzzles, games, and activities for young children
(mostly for ages 3-10, but some can be challenging even for adults).
Each activity was designed to help the child learn some skills in a
non-conventional way.  Those skills include arithmetics, pattern recognition,
shape recognition, and motor skills.
There are 9 games in this volume, each with detailed
instructions and hints for enhancements, options, or variations.

Puz'lings is shareware.  It is not in the public domain.
You are welcome to try it and pass it to friends.
The shareware fee is $9 ($1 per game).
The fee is waived and a site license is granted free of charge to schools,
preschools, and any other educational institutions for use on site provided
a registration card is sent.

More volumes will appear if there is enough interest (I design it mostly
for my kids, but I'd love to share it).
Registered users will be notified.

Any comments, suggestions, criticism, etc. would be appreciated.

Udi Manber (udi@cs.arizona.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/card/puz-lings.hqx; 192K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 1990 19:16:50 EST
From: jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
Subject: [*] QuarkXpress Zapper Vn. 2

This is QuarkXpress Zapper (version 2).
It will patch XPress 3.0 to 3.0 subversion 2.

To use it, simply place it in the same folder as your copy of Xpress 3.0
and start XPress. After the initial activation, you can throw the Zapper
away.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/quark-xpress-302-updater.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 09:18:57 CST
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: [*] RedLetter laser font

Attached is RedLetter, an improved version of Stalingrad which it is
intended to replace. Changes include a conversion to Type 1 format from
Type 3 so it will now work with Adobe's Type Manager; better letter
spacing and kerning; redesign or some characters so that now some lower-case
letters are more than small versions of the upper-case; and inclusion of
the letters with tildes, accents, circumflexes, etc.

RedLetter is a novelty font and all novelty fonts have limited uses. For
more information see the included READ-ME file. (Note: this is s binhexed
Stuffit 1.6 file. Stuffit has been upgraded and Stuffit 1.5.1 will probably
not unstuff this file.)

Robert Schenk

[Archived as /info-mac/font/red-letter.hqx; 81K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 14:47:29 GMT
From: Nigel Perry <np@doc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: [*] Regions Package

Regions Package for HyperCard 2
===============================

The package contains:

Regions:
    Do you need a triangular button? A butterfly shaped one? One with
a transparent hole in the middle? For all these and more use Regions!
A Region is an arbitrary shaped windoid which can be used like a
HyperCard button, it can have handlers, be moved around etc.

Sticky Buttons:
    They look like buttons, highlight like buttons, respond to mouse
clicks and SCROLL with the text!

Picture WDEF:
    The natty WDEF behind Regions.

Picture MDEF:
    A MDEF for tear-off palette menus.

editScript XFCN:
    HyperCard 2 gave you a real script editor for objects. This allows
you to use it on field contents etc.

Plus a few more things hidden in there...

What does it cost:
    The price for this early Chistmas present?  FREE for personal use:
The package is Copyright 1990, Nigel Perry. Free for personal use and
in stacks & applications which are free. May not be used for
commercial or profit-making purposes, as an incentive to buy another
product, or in ShareWare with pagreement with the author.

Format:
   Its packaged as a multi-part binhex of a self-extracting Compactor
archive.

Enjoy!

Happy Christmas, Nadolig LLawen

---
Nigel Perry                                  Department of Computing
                                             Imperial College
Janet: np@uk.ac.ic.doc                       London
ARPA:  np%uk.ac.ic.doc@ucl-cs                SW7
Uucp:  np@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!np           England

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xfcn/regions-part1.hqx; 210K
             /info-mac/card/xfcn/regions-part2.hqx; 190K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 15:37:41 PST
From: kostas@ux1.lbl.gov (Konstantinos Papamichael)
Subject: [*] Remember? 2.1.1

I post this latest version of Remember? (2.1.1) for the actual author, David
Worker, who does not have access to this network.  Remember? is a Personal
reminder System and is distributed via the Shareware strategy.

|--------------------------------------|-------|-------------------------------|
| Konstantinos Papamichael             | | | | |  Phone: (415) 486-6854        |
| 90-3111 Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | |-| | |    FAX: (415) 486-4089        |
| Berkeley, CA  94720                  | | | | | E-Mail: k_papamichael@lbl.gov |
|--------------------------------------|-------|-------------------------------|

[Archived as /info-mac/init/remember-211.hqx; 203K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 02:12:04 -0500
From: Scott E. Lasley <lasleyse@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] repost of monty.sea.hqx

This program can be used to investigate the "Monty Hall" problem
that has been discussed a lot lately.  It was written in TML pascal.
Source code is included.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/monty-hall.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 90 14:41 CST
From: PARSONS%WKUVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] SunDeskStrip

   This program examines all harddrives and determines what
icons are presents, and then addes the icl8s that match. The
icl8s are then copied to the SunDesk Icons file. This saves lots
of memory. Remember that SunDeskStrip will delete your existing
SunDesk Icons file, so backup your icons.

Note: This archive is a compator (cpt) file

[Archived as /info-mac/util/sun-desk-strip.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Dec 90 01:05:43 +0900
From: hoshino@tkysun.phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (HOSHINO Takashi)
Subject: [*] SystemSwitcher 1.1

This is a latest version of SystemSwitcher.
With this, you can deal with multiple SystemFolders.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/system-switcher-11.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 1990 19:13:49 EST
From: jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
Subject: [*] TypesettingMarks

This is TypesettingMarks, a Quark XTenark extension that adds global
search and replace for typographical quotes, fi and fl ligatures,
multiple spaces, and em-dash conversion.

TypsettingMarks is freeware from:
Graeme Kidd
Publisher
Macpublishing
30 Monmouth Street
Bath
Avon BA1 2BW
England

Phone (UK) 0225 442244
Fax (UK) 0225 446019
AppleLink: MACPUBLISH

[Archived as /info-mac/app/quark-typesetting-marks.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 21:09:51 GMT
From: hines@portia.stanford.edu (Melissa Hines)
Subject: Answer to Igor Question
John McKinley <jdm16%PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK@ricevm1.rice.edu> asked a couple
of questions re. Igor a digest or two back.  In brief:

1) Is there any equivalent of the Cricket Graph <format> concept.
Yes, there is but the implementation is slightly different.  In Igor, first
make a "test" graph that is formatted just the way you want it (including axis
labels, if you wish).  Next, pull down the "Control..." dialog box in the
"Windows" menu.  You want  to create a graph macro.  At this point, your graph
macro resides in the "Procedure" window, so you can go and tweak it if you
want.  (For example, if you want a default textbox, you must put this in by
hand).

To use the graph macro, first "display" the new graph (without any formatting),
then zap it with your new graph macro (which is in the heirarchical menu
"Graph Macros" in the "Windows"  menu.

2) Also, is it possible to have the addition of the data series names to the
axis labels, and/or the display of the legend, be made default?
I don't think you can do this.  If you want to save your graph macro
>From experiment to experiment, you can either keep it in an Igor stationary
file or you can save it as text and insert it into the Procedure window by hand
(ie. using the "Insert text" option).

The Igor demo can be downloaded via ftp anonymous from d31rz0.stanford.edu
(IP number 36.76.0.151).

Melissa A. Hines          Hines@Bogart.Stanford.Edu
Dept. of Chemistry
Stanford University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 10:55:20 EST
From: Steven Cantor <SLC%HARVARDA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Backup

any suggestions for backup software for macs, anyone???
thanks and happy holidays.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 02:12 EST
From: Rhoadent King <G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu>
Subject: Compactor Problem

I have an interesting problem.

It is interesting, since it involves COMPACTOR which everyone is talking about.

I was adding a file to one of my compactor archives, and suddenly it gave me
this error message...saying that either my archive was bad, or that it was made
with a different version of COMPACTOR.

I was just wondering what I should do?

Is there any way to retrieve the stuff in the archive?

please let me know.

Thanks.

Gordon K. Werner

respond to   G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 01:28:10 GMT
From: salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter)
Subject: disable ImageWriter's FF
How does one disable the form feed on the Imagwriter II printer
using Hypercard 2.0 or some other utility that can work with
hypercard?  Nothing I try seems to work.  One place that
it is needed is with print stack.  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 14:58:33 EST
From: saper@norway.biop.umich.edu (Mark A. Saper (313)764-3353)
Subject: Help with HC 2.0

To Hypercard gurus:

I'm playing around with moving my HC window to the very bottom of the screen
when switching to another application under Multifinder.   If I use the window
resize box (upper right button) , it works, clicking it moves the window down,
 clicking it again moves it back.  But when I switch to another stack and then
come back to my Home stack, the resize button has forgotten where I want
to resize the window.

So I've written a few routines to handle this myself.  Does anyone know if
clicking the resize button generates a message to HC that I can trap with an
"on ..." group?   And does anyone know the correct HC syntax for
	on functionKey 1
	   <commands>
	end functionKey 1

This gives syntax errors, and I don't know why.

Thanks, Mark Saper

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 13:55:40 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Inserting postscript into word 4.0 file

>I've got a postscript file on my sun which is a screendump of an X
>window. As far as I can tell, its a well formed epsf file.  I don't
>want to just paste it into the word file in the postscript style
>because then I won't be able to have hidden text visible anymore (I
>could leave hidden text visible but then I'd have 5 pages of "junk"
>in the middle of my document). What I'd like to do is somehow paste
>a combined pict/epsf file like illustrator produces...

This worked with an EPS file I tried:

1. Open a New document with Illustrator (I used 88) or FreeHand
   (I used 2.02)

2. Use Place from th File menu to place the EPS graphic on the page.
   (Illustrator 88 just showed a box, but that doesn't matter)

3. Select the graphic and do an Option Copy to make a QD/EPS
   graphic. (Put in Scrapbook if you like)

4. Paste in Word and Voila!  A Preview should appear if the original
   EPSF contained a Mac compatible preview.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 13:59:58 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: More Postscript Questions

>So, is there a macps for macs, or a way to hack a copy of the
>laserwriter driver to generate "good" postscript?  I hae already
>hacked in the disk file box so that generating the postscript is
>easy.

Have you tried the DA AdLPrep?  You first use your disk file check
box to make a file without LaserPrep then use AdLPrep to add a
LaserPrep that the author claims will work on most PostScript
printers.

PS. A better disk file check box is provided by the init LaserFix.
    It gives you a standard file dialog when saving PostScript.

The above utilities are available from the Sumex archives.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 19:02:34 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Printing PostScript Files

I have found that any files created with Command-K using LaserWriter/
LaserPrep 5.2 will not print on an unitialized LaserWriter.  Files
created using LaserWriter/LaserPrep 6.0.1 work fine though.

Anybody have any idea why?  Anybody else notice this?

Using AddLPrep instead of Command-K doesn't make any difference.

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 00:24:38 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Stuff StuffIt (Classic) 1.6

On Sat, 22 Dec 90 22:17:43 EST you said:
>> There's so much already in the archives in StuffIT (not self extracting)
>> format, that it's difficult to justify not registering for StuffIT.
>
>You can always use UnStuffIt, which is freeware.  And there is also the
>SitToCpt utility.

Even better is a feature I hadn't even noticed until one of the StuffIT
Compactor comparison messages mentioned it.  If you ask Compactor to "open"
a SIT! file, it does so and will unpack it as easily as a CIT archive
(faster according to the comparison message).

I hope all this traffic has stuffed Bill Goodman's mailbox with registration
fees as well as holiday greeting cards (if your Compactor still opens with
the "shareware" screen, Santa will has you on the wrong side of his
"naughty and nice" list :-)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 19:32:59 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Textures 1.3 and CM/PS Fonts 0.9: Several Steps in the Wrong

I've written several msgs in the past praising TeX and especially the
Textures implementation of TeX for the Mac.  I've just installed the
Textures 1.3 upgrade with the Computer Modern Postscript 0.9 fonts,
both from Blue Sky Research in Portland OR; and I'm sorry to have to
say in my opinion doing this at this time is several steps in the
wrong direction.

Textures 1.3 by itself would be fine.  It implements a major ``final,
final'' rewriting of the basic TeX program which has just been carried
out by its original author Don Knuth, five years after the original
``final'' version was released.  The major changes in TeX itself,
however, are virtually all internal and invisible.

In brief the internal structure of the program was rewritten in a
major way so it will now accept 8-bit character input (256 separate
characters) instead of the conventional 7-bit ASCII input, for those
who have and want to use 8-bit keyboards.  A few minor new
capabilities were also added; but the commands and user interface of
the program are otherwise virtually unchanged, and the ``new TeX'' is
completely upward compatible with previous versions and their source
files.  You will hardly notice the difference between Textures 1.2 and
1.3 in action.

The accompanying Computer Modern Postscript fonts package, labelled
version 0.9, is, however, a disaster.  It should have been held off
the market until it could be finished and done right.

First of all, installation of this package ranges from headache to
nightmare.  If you have Adobe Type Manager (ATM), which is
recommended, it's headache; if you don't it's nightmare.

To start with you _must_ install _forty_ separate Postscript font
files as individual files cluttering up your System Folder.  They
can't go in a subfolder; they can't go anywhere else except the System
Folder.

You also have to make 40 separate and individual removals and possibly
40 replacements, using Font/DA Mover, to 40 of the 73 fonts appearing
in 7 different TeX font suitcases in the Tex Fonts folder.  This
actually empties two of the standard Textures font suitcases from
version 1.2, so that they then disappear; but the instructions don't
tell you that.

And when you're done you end up with all 40 of these Computer Modern
fonts in your font menu, so that 40 names like ``cmssbx10'' and
``cmssqui8'' appear in the font menu for every application, even
though you're not likely to want to use these fonts in any other
application than TeX.  Since they all begin with "cm" they all come
after Chicago and before Courier, Geneva, Helvetica, or any of the
other ordinary fonts you're likely to use; so you have to scroll
through all of them to get at your usual fonts.

The people at Blue Sky Research's 800 number were cheerful and helpful
when called for assistance with the headaches of installation; they
even called me back on their nickel.  But it's not worth it; and the
results leave you worse off than when you started.  I recommend giving
it a miss.

--AES  siegman@sierra.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 14:04:02 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Translating Apple II (ProDOS) files to Macintosh format

>I have a number of 5-1/4" ProDOS format floppies that were created
>by a friend on his old Apple II. He recently upgraded to an SE, but
>can't read his old "45's". So he asked me for help.

The simplest (and cheapest) solution is to find any Apple II (likely
a IIgs) with both a 5.25" and 3.5" drive.  Copy all the files from
the 5.25" disks to Apple II formatted 800K 3.5" disks.  Then use AFE
on the Mac to read these 3.5" disks.  Use the Works-Works translator
supplied with Microsoft Works if the files in question are
AppleWorks files (use Works-Works 2.0 if the files are AppleWorks
3.0 files).

End of Info-Mac Digest