Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/25/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 24 Dec 90       Volume 8 : Issue 217

Today's Topics:

      Administrivia
      [*] "Welcome to Macintosh" editor
      [*] /comm/the-news-12.hqx
      [*] AppleDraw DA Version 5.0
      [*] Astrologer'sToolbox 2.2
      [*] B-roids2.hqx
      [*] DISKPARAM.SIT
      [*] Flash-It v.2.0.3
      [*] Fractal Wizard
      [*] game/simcity-bank-135.hqx
      [*] HP_Calculator_1.0
      [*] LabLaunchers 1.04
      [*] PrinterInfo 1.1
      [*] RecipeWare
      [*] San Francisco (a type 1 font)
      [*] Small Screen 1.0
      [*] submitting "Recipe 1.0" Hypercard stack
      [*] TEClicker INIT
      [*] Video_poker
      QUESTION OF DYNAMIC DATA EXCHANGE AND INTER-APPLICATION-COMMUNICATION

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 1990 17:22:42 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

The archive backlog is cleared. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 15:12:21 PST
From: carlton@aldebaran.berkeley.edu (Mike Carlton)
Subject: [*] "Welcome to Macintosh" editor

A couple of weeks ago someone was asking for a way to edit
the "Welcome to Macintosh" message.  Well, it sounded like
a simple thing to do, so I wrote a little program the other
day to let you edit the message.  The result is attached below,
it is freeware.

Cheers,
Mike Carlton	carlton@cs.berkeley.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/welcome-editor.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 90 19:04:38 CDT
From: Bill Cramer <iex!neptune.iex.com!cramer@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: [*] /comm/the-news-12.hqx

And now, TheNews...

TheNews is a Macintosh Net News Reader application.  Unlike
several programs that have come out since MacTCP became
available, TheNews is not a HyperCard(TM) stack but rather
it is a standalone application.

The system requires:

1. A Macintosh (no kidding!).  As far as I can tell, there
are no restrictions on what kind of Mac you can use with
TheNews -- I've tested the program on the Plus, SE, SE/30,
II, IIx, and IIcx.  I have no reason to believe that it will
fail on other models.

2. MacTCP.  This is the system software that lets your Mac
talk TCP/IP.  You can get this software from Apple.

3. A Network.  You have several options here.  You can use
an Ethernet card installed inside your computer, you can use
an external SCSI Ethernet device, or you can use a
LocalTalk<->Ethernet bridge (for example, a GatorBox).

4. An NNTP server.  This will be a computer running the
'network news transfer protocol'.  I've tested TheNews with
NNTP Version 1.5.7.

5. An SMTP server.  TheNews lets you respond to articles via
the 'simple mail transfer protocol'.  I've tested TheNews
with SMTP Version 5.61.  The SMTP server should be running
on the same computer as the NNTP server.

One of the files included in this distribution is a userUs
manual (cleverly titled 'TheNews User's Manual').  This
manual was written using Word 4.0; I apologize if you do not
have this program (although you *should* -- it's well worth
the $$$). However, because I'm such a thoughtful kind of
guy, I've excerpted the 'Quick Start' section in the README
document.

So, after you try out TheNews and find that you want to keep
it, what do you do next?  Well, obviously, you pay me for
it!  Base sticker price is $25, but have I got a deal for
you -- when you send me your check (US dollars preferred!) if
you'll give me two suggestions on what I need in the next
version, the price drops to $20.  (And no, the price does
not drop to $0 if you give me 12 suggestions!)

Want to license a whole boatload of copies?  I'll be happy
to discuss a hefty discount, especially if you're at an
institute of higher learning.

Send your checks, praises, comments, and questions to:

     Bill Cramer
     504 Winter Wood Drive
     Grapevine, Texas  76051

(Note: This is Version 1.2.  It fixes a blunder I made
regarding the width of an IP address, and it also understands
how to deal with NNTP servers which require authorization
before allowing real sessions (it doesn't give you that
authorization, mind you, but it doesn't trash your Mac
like V1.0 did:-)

(Another note: I plan a new release in a month or two.  This
release will support domain name servers (which allow names
instead of numbers for the server address), a 'save with
append' function, better article editing, and some other
miscellaneous functions.  However, I do need to pay the
rent, so your $$$ will certainly encourage me to produce
V2.0 on schedule:-)

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/the-news-12.hqx; 201K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:56:09 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] AppleDraw DA Version 5.0

This is version 5.0 of the AppleDraw desk accessory. Compared with the
previous version 4.1.5, the new version now supports colors (sorry, only the
"standard" QuickDraw colors, but they print nicely on an ImageWriter II) and
has better support for pasting in WriteNow documents (you can specify where
the picture should be put relative to the base line of surrounding text).

For those who do not know what AppleDraw is: It is a simple yet powerfil DA
for object-oriented drawing. It supports
 - lines, rectangles, ovals, rounded rectangles, arrows, polygons
 - text with all styles (including condensed and extended)
 - text sizes from 1 to 1000 (that will be great with System 7 outline fonts)
 - hair lines (only when printing to a LaserWriter, of course)
 - polygons with arrowheads
 - texts with automatically adjusted frames around them
 - zooming (with a single magnification factor of 4)
 - groups (with a convenient "Edit Group" command)
 - drawing in a grid
 - so-called "partial pictures" (rectangular parts of other picture elements)
 - add-in of other AppleDraw pictures
 - etc.
The following is a binhexed self-extracting Compactor archieve containing
 - the suitcase file AppleDraw
 - the AppleDrawer application (for printing and Finder support)
 - documentation in MacWrite and WriteNow format
 - a couple of sample pictures
AppleDraw is shareware ($30).
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447
                         Fax:   +43 (732) 2468 / 10

[Archived as /info-mac/da/apple-draw-50.hqx; 151K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 90 01:34:49 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Astrologer'sToolbox 2.2

Included here is the HyperCard stack that does astrological calculations
of your natal horoscope (your chart!).  Plug in your birth place/date/time
and it calculates the sign your planets were in, their respective houses,
an aspect table and then draws it to a wheel. Downloaded from America Online
for your enjoyment.  Works with HyperCard 2.0.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:        perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu  <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>                                                <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/card/astrologers-toolbox.hqx; 144K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 90 02:45:41 EST
From: Jim Brackett <ST801657@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: [*] B-roids2.hqx

BRACKETTROIDS+ V2.0 BY JIM BRACKETT
This program is an asteroids-type video game for the Macintosh
family of computers.  For best results, limit colors on color
models to two.  This game is shareware ($10.00 if kept).

[Archived as /info-mac/game/b-roids-20.hqx; 245K]

------------------------------

Date: 18 DEC 90 09:50:40 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] DISKPARAM.SIT

    A Macintosher, Dan Webb, lost the ability to save his control
panel settings due to hardware problems.  Rather than shopping his
otherwise perfectly functioning Mac, he decided to write DISKPARAM
instead.  This little jewel will save your control panel settings to
disk giving added insurance especially when the param batteries begin
to get low.
    For those Atari STers who are emulating the Mac Plus via Spectre,
DISKPARAM will save your control panel settings.
    DISKPARAM is quite small and is transparent in operation.  It
has been working perfectly on Mac Pluses and SE's, and on the Spectre.
DISKPARAM will not be "required" for the new Spectre release which
has its own scheme of saving the settings but, at any rate, DISKPARAM
will offer that added insurance.
--Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

[Archived as /info-mac/util/disk-param.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 1990   00:03 PST
From: "Nobukazu Toge"                                <TOGE%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Flash-It v.2.0.3

Hello -

Sorry, there were some (minor but non-negligible) bugs in Flash-It v.2.0.
This is a bug-fix-release.  Please, replace the file in the archive.

Flash-It is a screen-capture cdev/init utility, which can capture a part
of (or an entire) color / B&W screen image to clipboar, scrapbook, printer
and PICT/rsrc files.  Options include: capturing the cursor, (de)magnifying
the image as it gets captured, and selection of the image destination on
the fly without having to go back to the control panel.

The bug fixes are...: (1) fix to a (very rare) crash problem, (2) fixes to
errors which occur in certain conditions in a dialog from the control
panel, (3) handling of the scrapbook file. Particularly modifications to the
code vs resource structure,  so that Flash-It can be easily ResEdit'ed
to work properly on foreign systems where "Scrapbook file" is called with
different words.

Flash-It v.2.0.3 is a shareware U.S. $15.00.     Previous registered
users who paid won't have to pay (just in case).
                                                  - Nobu Toge (author)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-203.hqx; 71K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 00:30:25 +0100
From: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken)
Subject: [*] Fractal Wizard

I recently submitted a program called "Fractal Magic" to you for
passing on to sumex, usenet, etc. A week later, I discovered that
there is a commercial version of MandelZot that is also called
Fractal Magic(TM). Since I seem to be violating a preexisting
trade mark, I renamed my Fractal Magic to Fractal Wizard, and
hereby resubmit it. I would ask you to pass it on with a note that
this should replace my Fractal Magic.
Thanks!

Thomas Okken (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/fractal-wizard-15.hqx; 92K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 20:21 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] game/simcity-bank-135.hqx

CityBank 1.3.5
by Alberto Ricci
   Corso De Gasperi, 45
   10129 Torino, Italy
   This program is public domain.
Ever thought your SimCity metropolis needed a
bank? Here it is: this small application will change your SimCity city files
changing the funds to any amount of money between $0 and $2.000.000.000
(that's enough, isn'it?).

[Archived as /info-mac/game/simcity-bank-135.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 10:19:30 +0100
From: kpottie@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl)
Subject: [*] HP_Calculator_1.0

This is an application which simulates a scientific HP calculator.

This program is ShareWare.

If you pay your shareware fee, you can also get this as a DA.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/hp-calculator.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 9:08:28 EST
From: Leo W <Leo_W@qm.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: [*] LabLaunchers 1.04

Here is the latest version of LabLaunchers, which replaces the older version in
the INFO-MAC archive.

Summary of Version 1.04 Changes

LabLauncher and LabLauncherCD:  Volume name in path strings is optional.
Appending a launch record to an application's control file is optional.  Using
a control file is optional.  Launch denials now logged.

CollectServerData:  389 record limit eliminated.  Cricket Graph / MS Excel
compatible text file written for quick and dirty graph of application useage
(in addition to the regular export file).

ResetCounters:  New program just for resetting out-of-whack counters for all
applications quickly.

No major changes made to:  LabControlEdit, ZCountDINIT.  Still must use ResEdit
for installation of LabLaunchers.

What a LabLauncher Is and What It Does

	A LabLauncher is an application that looks like a real application to the Mac
user and the Finder.  Actually it is just a small application that launches the
real application it is disguised as.  Before a LabLauncher launches an
application, it gets permission from a control file on an AppleShare -
compatible file server (works on NetWare too).  When a LabLauncher launches
another application, it appends a record of the launch in the applicationUs
control file on the file server (or wherever you decide to store the control
files).

	A LabLauncher lets you control how many concurrently open copies of an
application are allowed on your network.  The real application may exist on the
workstations' directly attached hard disks or on the file server or both.  The
LabLauncher may also exist anywhere.

	A LabLauncher works fine whether the Mac user opens the application icon or
opens his/her document from the Finder or from MultiFinder.

LabLauncher is freely given as thanks to the other Mac hackers that have freely
given good utilities and helps for those of us on meager budgets facing big
problems.  It is updated as I see a need for it, in the labs I support here at
the University of Florida.  It works fine under System Software 6.0.5 on Mac
Pluses and up.  I wrote LabLauncher and cannot allow anyone to market it to
anyone else.  You must make it freely available to others, if at all.  I offer
no warranty -- if it works, OK, otherwise, don't expect any support or
compensation (but I will answer questions via my email addresses above and I
welcome reports).

This is a bihexed, StuffIt 1.5.1 archive.

Sincerely,
Leo

[Archived as /info-mac/util/lab-launcher-104.hqx; 151K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 04:22:31 +0100
From: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken)
Subject: [*] PrinterInfo 1.1

Yet another small but useful utility, that I'd like to make available
to the Mac community. The abstract below is intended for the abstracts
section of the sumex archives; the suggested name for sumex is

	"/info-mac/util/printer-info-11.hqx".

Thanks for taking the time!

Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

----- abstract -----

PRINTERINFO 1.1 - by Thomas Okken

PrinterInfo is small utility to examine the print record as a Mac printer
driver sets it up. It is intended as a debugging tool to help you analyze the
behaviour of printer drivers. You use the standard Page Setup and Print
dialogs to set some printing format, and PrinterInfo will show you the print
record that results. This print record is the main communications channel
between the application and the printer driver, and PrinterInfo can come in
quite handy if you are wondering what a certain printer driver might be
telling the application about itself. Additionally, PrinterInfo lets you use
PrGeneral to find out all about the specific resolutions and resolution ranges
that the driver supports. These are often quite different than the physical
resolutions that the printer is capable of!
All information is shown with self-explanatory names and in obvious units:
pixels, inches, or dpi, as appropriate.

PrinterInfo runs on any Mac with >=128K ROMs, and System 4.1 or newer. For
further information, contact me at: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl

[Archived as /info-mac/util/printer-info-11.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 90 22:56:42
From: Morrison <Morrison@bioscience.biology.utah.edu>
Subject: [*] RecipeWare

Recipe 1.0 is a Hypercard 2.0 recipe stack.  The stack can be divided into
three parts: Recipe cards and an Index and Conversion card.

-The Recipe cards allow you to file not only ingredients and directions, but
also additional information pertinent to cooks (e.g. prep time, serves...)
-The Index card allows you to list the recipes based on criteria you specify
(e.g. by dish type, keywords...)
-The Conversion card allows you to quickly convert from one unit of measure to
another (e.g. milliliters to tablespoons)

Other features include:
-Each recipe is stored under a major and minor heading that can quickly be
accessed by tabs found at the bottom of the cards.
-Ability to quickly go to recipes listed in the index.
-Ability to print recipes.
-Quick keys for fractions, degrees, approximate.
-Ability to enter your own major/minor tab headings.

My wife and I have entered a few sample recipes for your experimentation.

Recipe v 1.0 is Foodware--if you like the stack, send me your favorite recipe.

If you have any problems, questions or bugs, contact me at:
morrison@bioscience.utah.edu
or
Tom Morrison
Biology Department
University of Utah
SLC, UT  84112
(801)-581-3592

[Archived as /info-mac/card/recipe.hqx; 154K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 14:53:48 -0600
From: james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett)
Subject: [*] San Francisco (a type 1 font)

This is a font I found on a local BBS.  Its freeware, though I think the guy who
made it wouldn't mind some money.

					james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/font/san-francisco.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 90 16:04 +0100
From: Daniel Schaerer <schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch>
Subject: [*] Small Screen 1.0

Small Screen 1.0, by Daniel Schaerer

On a sufficiently large screen, this program shows the boundaries of one
or more smaller screens. It is useful for testing (under MultiFinder)
whether something would fit on a small screen. The screen boundaries are
represented by transparent windows with rounded corners. Several screens
of different size are available in a menu. The menu can be customized if
needed. Runs in a 40 K MultiFinder partition.

This is KindWare(TM) -- a gift to the whole of MacKind(TM).
Enjoy, share, and be kind(TM) to one another.

Daniel Schaerer, University of Zurich/Switzerland
schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch

[Archived as /info-mac/util/small-screen.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:49:54 +0100
From: SP_vdBurgt%pttrnl.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: [*] submitting "Recipe 1.0" Hypercard stack

I created this stack two months ago. It has not been submitted to any
other service.

                        Stan.

--
   S.P. van de Burgt                       PTT Research, Neher Labs
                                           PO Box 421, Leidschendam

[Recipe 1.0]

This is version 1.0 of a stack to import and classify recipes from the
UseNet group rec.food.recipes as well as keep track of your own ones.
As an example, several recipes that were posted in november 1990 on
this news group are included.

FIELDS

Each card has four field on it:
o the title
o the category (BEEF, OVO-LACTO, ...)
o the recipe itself
o the credits (this field is hidden until you hit the credits button)

IMPORTING RECIPES

One can import recipes from the UseNet group rec.food.recipes. The
articles in this group should be saved in a file first.

When importing from rec.food.recipes, the title and category fields
are filled using the "Subject:" line of the article.  The "From:",
"Date:" and "Keywords:" header fields of the article are saved in a
(hidden) credits field. This field can be inspected by clicking a
button.  The recipe field of each card is filled with the body of the
UseNet article.

BUTTONS

Each card has the following buttons:

o  the "Home" card button
o  the info button which shows the credits for the current card.
o  a button that brings you to the first card.
o  a button that brings you to the table of contents.
o  a button that pops up a calculator.
o  a button to print the recipe
o  a button to sort the stack
o  a button to move to the previous card
o  and one to move to the next
o  and finaly one "return" button

Additionally, an "unlock" button is present in the top right corner to
make the recipe text editable.

On the first card an additional button can be selected to import a file
with messages from the UseNet group rec.food.recipes The file can be
obtained by saving articles in this group in your favorite news reader.

The catagory field can be clicked to jump to another card in this
catagory. This can only be used when the card is locked.

The recipe count field on the table of contents card can be clicked to
regenerate the table of contents.

CREDITS

This stack is "Happyware": If you like it, send me a post card of your
home town.

                                Stan van de Burgt
                                Potgieterstraat 37
                                3532 VP Utrecht
                                the Netherlands
                                E-mail: SP_vdBurgt@pttrnl.nl

[Archived as /info-mac/card/recipe-2.hqx; 89K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 11:12:55 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] TEClicker INIT

This is a tiny INIT that improves the way double-clicks are dealt with in
standard TextEdit-ors. It defines "word breaks" more intuitively than the
dull "every sequence of characters not containing a space is a word".
TEClicker works for example fine in the Finder and in dialog boxes.
TEClicker is free for non-commercial distribution.

Enjoy it.
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447
                         Fax:   +43 (732) 2468 / 10

[Archived as /info-mac/init/te-clicker.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 10:13:20 EST
From: don@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Don Hewitt)
Subject: [*] Video_poker

This is a Hypercard stack which plays Video Poker.  A free stack for your
enjoyment which plays the popular casino game Video Poker.  Complete with
sounds and nice graphics.

It also includes information on how to obtain the complete Casino Stack
which I have written.  For $15 shareware, I'll send you Craps, Blackjack,
Keno, 5 card stud, blind poker, 7 card stud (w/ chicago option), and several
slot machines.  The poker games pit you against 3 computer opponents.  All
games include good graphics and sound.  Plus, I'm still writing more gambling
games for the stack!  So registered users will continue to get more games and
any bug fixes.  Send $15 shareware, your address (US. and email) to:
        Don Hewitt
        57 Downer St.
        Baldwinsville, NY.  13027

If you don't have electronic mail access, include a blank diskette which I will
promptly return to you with the full working version of Casino.

More information about the other games is included in this Video Poker stack.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/video-poker.hqx; 252K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 12:22 U
From: WHLIN%TWNCTU01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: QUESTION OF DYNAMIC DATA EXCHANGE AND INTER-APPLICATION-COMMUNICATION

Dear Nets:

     I hope some one could give me hints about these questions:

        1. Does any one knows how to implement Dynamic Data
           Exchange(DDE), or Inter-Application-Communication
           (IAP)?
           So far as I know, System 7.0 for Macintosh and OS/2
           have this facility. But I want to know more about
           it, how it can be done, the theorem or simple data
           structure.
           If you know any paper or any book that talk about
           it, please tell me.

        2. Is there anyone has the experiences of writting
           DAs, would you mind tell me more about it? I
           wants to know the differnce between DA(MAC) and
           TSR(PC).

  MY E-MAIL ADDRESS: IN%"whlin@TWNCTU01.BITNET"
                     (This is in Taiwan )  Johnathon Kao

End of Info-Mac Digest