info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/03/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  2 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue   2

Today's Topics:

      [*] Chooser+ 2.0 - A Chooser for Large Networks
      [*] FormsProgrammer Demo
      [*] NIH Image 1.33g Program
      Abstracts
      AGPL
      compactor (2 msgs)
      Dinosaurs stack info
      flickering screen on an old Mac
      Japanese PostScript font
      Looking for the author/s of Guard Dog
      Mac NEtworking
      More PostScript Questions
      Ninth year of Info-Mac?
      Prodigy/PBX Question
      scanned text to real text
      Sun to Mac Disk Format
      Textures 1.3 problems
      Tricks to printing 3x5 index cards on LW II NTX ??

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 16:36:48 IST
From: Eran Reshef <RESHEF1%BGUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Chooser+ 2.0 - A Chooser for Large Networks

Chooser+ 2.0 is intended to replace Apple's Chooser. It is fully
compatible with the latter, but was designed with Wide Area AppleTalk
Networks in mind. It has many features for dealing with large
networks, like support for hierarchical network structure, virtual
zone, zone name aliasing and zone hiding. Aside from these features,
many others exist, such as improved user interface, default zone and
driver, password protection and on-line help system.

Chooser+ 2.0 is a $15 shareware.

Eran Reshef
BITNET:    RESHEF1@BGUVM.BITNET
Mail: P.O.B. 9115, Beer-Sheva 84190,Israel.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/chooser-plus-20.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 00:10:35 -0500
From: omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett)
Subject: [*] FormsProgrammer Demo

This is an almost full working demo of the commercial program FormsProgrammer.
It has almost all of the features of the first product except that output
is limited to the upper left corner of the page.  FormsProgrammer has
two purposes: it will produce source code (in Pascal or C) which will
replicate whatever you have drawn in FormsProgrammer's window (using standard
Macintosh drawing tools) or else it can create an XCMD which will give
you custom printing for HyperCard.

FormsProgrammer is of particular use to people who have unique printing
demands which they need to make of HyperCard.  By trying this demo, you
can determine if FormsProgrammer will solve your particular problem.

Documentation and an example file is included.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/forms-programmer.hqx; 207K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 15:38:48 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL%VMTECQRO.qro.itesm.mx@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] NIH Image 1.33g Program

Enclosed you will find NIH Image, rel. 1.33g, and its Changes file. The
program is in sit.hqx format, while the Changes is in plain text. Rel.
1.33g contains several bugfixes to rel. 1.33f, which I posted earlier.
Also, under separate cover, I have submitted the manual and the program
sources for this version. All these files have been retrieved from the
host alw.nih.gov ^128.231.128.251!.

I have no connection with the National Institutes of Health, or with
Image's author, other than being a very satisfied user of the program.

Juan M. Courcoul
Monterrey Tech
Mexico

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-133g.hqx; 294K
             /info-mac/app/image-133g-docs.hqx; 210K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 15:30:20 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: Abstracts

	I just read through your abstracts and realized that I have been
	neglecting to tell people what my stacks do. I can send the
	information now or in another form if you like.

	Graphic Stack Lister 3.0 is a library type stack which will allow
	a user to create a picture of each card in a stack, including
	the name of each card and the number of fields and buttons, and
	a list of all of the resources in the stack. Then by clicking
	on the picture of any card, the user can instantly go to that
	card. These pictoral listings of each stack are stored in the
	stack in a Library type format for easy reference.

	HyperExpert 2.3 is a psuedo expert system. It is a psuedo system
	because it does not do any hueristic reasoning. It is a stack
	which allows an expert to create a decision tree. The expert then
	uses this decision tree to create question cards which lead to the
	appropriate conclusion cards which solve a particular problem. The
	expert then gives these stacks to the end users so that they
	can benefit from the expert's knowledge. The expert keeps HyperExpert
	because it is a shell for creating systems. HyperExpert can even
	create a menu stack for selecting various different problems that
	the expert has solved. Version 2.3 is HC 2.0 compatible. If
	you don't have 2.0 I can send an older version of HyperExpert
	directly to you if you wish.

	Please include these in your abstracts, or tell me how you would
	like me to send the information.

							Troy Kelley

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jan 91 15:02:42 GMT
From: momi@rpi.edu (Gamliel Avshalom)
Subject: AGPL
To the person that requested a copy of AGPL:

I am sorry, but I must have lost your address.
Could you please e-mail it to me.
Thanks,
A.G.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 08:55:20 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: compactor

In Info-Mac Digest V91 #1 phssra@mathcs.emory.edu
 (Scott Robert Anderson) writes:

> Bill da Moderator replies:
>
> > I don't object to self-extracting archives. Although they do take up a littl
> > more room in the archive, I feel that the extra convenience is worth it.
> > I am always grateful when I download a file and find it to be self-extractin
> I myself feel exactly the opposite, especially when I start up the
> self-extractor and Gatekeeper steps in to prevent it from changing the file
> info on the applications it is extracting! I know, I know, I should use the
> override, but I never think of it beforehand.  And when I do use it, I need to
> scan the self-extractor for viruses first.
>
> I would therefore prefer to see self-extractors used only for Compactor and
> Extractor themselves (and StuffIt, too! :-).

For what it's worth, I agree with Scott, for the same reasons, PLUS you may
remember that I was experiencing some extremely bizarre problems with self-
extracting archives which were un-binhexed under *nix and then down-ftp-ed
with NCSA Telnet (they won't launch -- "not enough Finder memory" and other
weird errors).  I never _did_ get any useful replies on that problem, so
let me take this opportunity to ask the question somewhat differently...

How do these self-extracting archives work?  I assume it's just a small app-
lication with the archive in the data fork.  If so, then what might be diff-
erent about such self-extracting archives (from other apps) that would cause
my problem, which ONLY occurs on self-extracting archives?

Jurgen Botz               |      Internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet          ..or..
Academic Computing        |                JBotz%MHC.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Mount Holyoke College     |    Compu$erve: 70531,600 (rarely)
South Hadley, MA, USA     |         Voice: (US) 413-538-2375 (daytime)

[It seems to me that your objections to self-extracting archives are because
 of problems caused by the other programs (GateKeeper and NCSA Telnet), not
 with the archives themselves. For the many users who use other software,
 self-extracting archives do not present these drawbacks. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 09:11:52 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Mon, 31 Dec 90 22:43:22 EST you said:
>I myself feel exactly the opposite, especially when I start up the
>self-extractor and Gatekeeper steps in to prevent it from changing the file
>info on the applications it is extracting! I know, I know, I should use the
>override, but I never think of it beforehand.  And when I do use it, I need to
>scan the self-extractor for viruses first.

You CAN use Compactor to extract from an archive even if it happens to be
self-extracting.  Self extracting archives are a little more convenient for
those who haven't downloaded Extractor (fewer and fewer folks I should think),
and especially for new users (of course, once one has learned enough to
translate BinHex'd files to binary, using StuffIT or Compactor ought to be
a piece of cake :-)

Is there really any advantage to using Gatekeeper in addition to
Disinfectant's Init?  If you're truly nervous about the possibility of
finding a virus in an info-mac upload, wait a week or so for the less
risk averse to download new entries.  I'm sure if something infected ever
makes it into the archive, it'll generate LOTS of comment :-)

I suspect the moderators check the stuff with the latest Disinfectant (?)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

[Actually, we don't check most files because of the amazing amount of extra
 time that would take. What we do is explained in /help/virus-policy.txt.
 Since the usage rate of the archive is quite high, I expect viruses in
 postings would be found relatively quickly. Nobody has yet reported a
 real virus in the archive, although there have been many false alarms. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 1991 19:53:31 GMT
From: cicone@iti.org (Bob Cicone)
Subject: Dinosaurs stack info
MacLanders:
	We would like to get in touch with the authors of the HyperCard
Dinosaurs stack that is available in the sumex-aim archives. The stack
only mentions A.A.H. Computer Graphic Productions and the name Jon Pugh.
If anyone has an address or phone number for the company or Jon Pugh
please send it to the email address listed below.  Thanks for the help!!

--
[         Bob Cicone         |     Internet  :  cicone@uieea.ece.uiuc.edu     ]
[ Bioacoustics Research Lab  |      AT&Tnet  :  (217) 333-0862                ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 15:29 N
From: <PURSCHKE%DMSWWU5P.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: flickering screen on an old Mac

Hi all,

recently, the screen in my old 512 Mac has started to flicker and it's quite
annoying. Maybe this comes from some dying components on the analog board. I
use the Mac as a terminal and it is powered on for several hours each day.

I faintly remember a submission of a year or even longer ago regarding some
capacitors on the old 512's analog board which had a too low voltage
rating. Does anybody remember this or know what to look for? All hints are
welcome.

        Martin

Purschke@dmswwu5p.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 14:37 CST
From: WILLIAMS@gamma.is.tcu.edu
Subject: Japanese PostScript font

I've heard that there is Type 1 font for the Mac that is a set of the Japanese
Hiragana characters.  Where might I find it / is it commerical or PD?

Any info appreciated, mail me directly.

Mark Williams

williams@gamma.is.tcu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 10:37:14 -0800
From: krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Looking for the author/s of Guard Dog

I'm trying to locate the author/s of the Guard Dog cdev. We are interested in
site licensing the product for the computer labs here at UC Davis, but need a
modification for it to work in a lab environment. Right now, you can't drag
floppy disks into the trash while Guard Dog is active. That is a real problem
in a lab.

I tried the phone number in the About... box, but got an answering machine that
sounded sort of domestic. No reply to my message, of course.

If you're out there, Guard Doggers, please send me an email at
krweiss@ucdavis.edu.

Ken Weiss

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 09:48:57 EST
From: "Adriene L. Nazaretian" <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac NEtworking

Lots of questions on networking lately, so here's some information:

There is a listserve at yale specifically for networking macs.
MACNET-L@YALEVM.  (you can issue the TELL LISTSERV AT YALEVM SUB MACNET-L
to subscribe if your on bitnet)

So someone asked about TCP/IP on macintosh to internet. Someone also asked
about lab configurations, and someone asked for TN3270 comments: (Without
going into nasty tech details)

We have the following schemes in place, all working reliably.
1.Appletalk segments (twisted pr) running to StarControllers.  The controllers
  are connected to gateways (Fastpath 4's) to our campus ethernet (which is par
t of internet) We also briged our labs to keep printing traffic off the rest of
 the network.

2.  Macs directly on the ethernet, using a variety of cards.

in the above  senarios we are running MACTCP (TCP drivers) and our communicatio
s software (TN3270 or NCSA Telnet run over the MacTCP driver).  All TCP/IP
protocol software works fine!  We can FTP, etc....
In example 1 We configure MACTCP to use localtalk and configure it to let
our Fastpath 4 give the mac a dynamic IP number. (It can assign 60 numbers-
which means of course you are limited to 60 macs simaltaneously getting
out over the gateway for TCPIP communications)

In example 2, we have an IP number assigned by the High Speed NEtworking
group and configure MACTCP to use that as a permanent number.

I am part of a small group on campus supporting this for about 300 users.
(and growing quickly) Once its up and running, it works GREAT!

And YES I would like to see multiple TN3270 sessions!  We have many folks
using our library catalog system and who would also like to access their
accounts on a VM system while the library search is going!

-Adriene Nazaretian
Yale University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 07:30:10 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: More PostScript Questions

>Look for AddLaserPrep post to sumex-aim.stanford.edu archives. It
>is a version of  macps  that runs on the Mac side.  --Len Schwer

I gave the same advice, but after doing some testing found that a file
created using AddLPrep would *not* print on an unitialized Apple LaserWriter
IINT when using LaserWriter/LaserPrep 5.2.  Using LaserWriter/LaserPrep 6.0.1
or 6.0.2 it worked fine.

I get the same result using Command-K.  The files generated using LW/LP 5.2
die with an "offending command" error on an unitialized LaserWriter IINT.
Anybody else try this?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 1991 11:36:51 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ninth year of Info-Mac?

As some have pointed out, Info-Mac is probably not in its ninth year, because
then it would predate the Macintosh. I have no idea why the volume number was
eight last year, then.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 10:56:06 PST
From: "dan jatnieks" <danj@stlvm2.iinus1.ibm.com>
Subject: Prodigy/PBX Question

>We recently got access to Prodigy here in Des Moines, and I'm trying to
>figure out how to connect through our PBX system.  We're on a ROLM
>system with a modem bank, so I need to call the modem bank before
>dialing the Prodigy number.  Prodigy's custom software doesn't seem to
>allow for this, and so far I haven't been able to find anyone else on
>campus with an interest in Prodigy.

 I contacted someone here at ROLM who had the same problem and worked out a
 solution. While it is specifically for a PC, you can modify the concept to fit
 your needs.

  I faced this same problem of connecting to Prodigy through a ROLM PBX. This
 was my solution: First I use a terminal emulation program to talk to the
 switch. Something small and stupid is preferable. I found both TINYCOMM (from
 DOS POWER TOOLS) and REFLECTION will work. With this program connect to the
 switch through the data port on your phone and get the "CALL, DISPLAY OR
 MODIFY" prompt. Issue a CALL command to the name of your modem pool. The
 switch should respond "CALLING #####" then "CALL COMPLETE" or it will put you
 in a queue for the next available modem. Now get out of your terminal program
 WITHOUT disconnecting from the modem. In TINYCOMM this can be done by ^C. In
 Reflection, alt-x does this. I have not figured out how to do this with
 PROCOMM yet.

  Anyway, now your comport is connected to the modem through the PBX and you
 can use the modem just exactly as if it were connected directly to your
 computer. Execute your PRODIGY software accordingly.

 John H. Hausmann
 Rolm Systems

dan jatnieks                 Internet e-mail: danj@stlvm2.iinus1.ibm.com
IBM Corporation            US-mail: 5600 Cottle Road, San Jose, CA 95193
(408) 284-0673

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jan 91 16:27 MST
From: JBPowlesland%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: scanned text to real text

Another OCR program you could use is AccuText 1.1 from Datacopy Imaging
Systems (a division of Xerox).  Currently, OmniPage and AccuText are the
two top OCR programs for the Mac.

Jim Powlesland Academic Computing Services University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta Canada T2N 1N4

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 15:48:23 EST
From: jerome@ee.fit.edu (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875)
Subject: Sun to Mac Disk Format

I have a problem [who doesn`t?].

I am trying to use a SUN SPARC station 1 to write/read MAC disks.
Currently, I am using mtools to write/read my data files to MS_DOS
disk format and then using APPLE FILE EXCHANGE to convert the files
into MAC OS formats. Is there a version of mtools that can write
and read directly into MAC OS formats?

A million, billion thanks to everyone who responds!

.Chaos

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 16:08:23 +0100
From: Etienne Loute <LOUTE%BUCLLN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Textures 1.3 problems

Recently (info-mac V8 #216), Siegelman stated that Textures 1.3
and CM/PS Fonts 0.9 were several steps in the Wrong. This seems to me
a quite severe opinion. He is right when he says that
installing these fonts is not trivial.
A quite suitable working scheme is to use ATM (2.0) and for example
Suitcase II (a recent version like Suitcase II 1.2.6 is a must) or
its competitor MasterJuggler (cluttering of the system folder is
avoided, see the Paul Nevai mail reported in info-mac V8 #217).
Sometimes I make all CM/PS fonts available to all applications
because it is now possible to copy a full typeset page and paste
it in graphic applications. Canvas (version 2.1) allow pasting
of the full page with access to ungrouped symbols (very nice
feature when you are making slides with SliTeX).
I am willing to mail more details on the font installation
(useful only for owners of  Suitcase II) to any one interested.

While the quality of the fonts is quite good, I have noticed a bug :
uppercase gamma does not print at 10 pt   (although it appears on the
screen). (I have experienced that on a SE/30 with different systems
and a
LasewriterPlus or  a 3Meg LaserWriter IINTX) (\Gamma in math mode).
A problem (due to TeX 3.0 I suppose) for french typesetting: there
is a space after a comma in math mode, this is a problem for
representing numbers with decimal in french. Note that the
spacing after the comma is welcome in enumerations in math mode.

It is possible to work out ad hoc solution to these problems (for example
redefining \Gamma from the 12pt font scaled down). Has anyone
an elegant solution for the math mode comma ?

Anyway the CM/PS fonts of  Blue deserve consideration (I have a bitter
remembrance of the CM/PS type 3 fonts of the (now defunct ?) FTL company,
developer of the costly MacTeX).

Etienne Loute  (LOUTE@BUCLLN11.BITNET)
Center for Operations Research and Econometrics
Catholic University of Louvain
34 voie du Roman Pays
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  2 JAN 91 06:25:24 PST
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Tricks to printing 3x5 index cards on LW II NTX ??

Are there any tricks to printing 3x5 index cards or gumon mailing labels
on a LaserWriter II NTX using the manual feed option and tray top?

If I use the manual feed centering holder the cards are feed in properly,
but stop in the printer before going thru the heating/fuser element.
Business sized envelopes work fine, so it seems to be a length problem.

If I manually feed then with the centering holder open up to full size,
the printer picks up a piece of paper from the tray _and_ after a slight
delay the 3x5 card.

I have printed such items on a LW+, at work, all the time without problems.
	--Len Schwer   micro2.schwer@sri.com

End of Info-Mac Digest