info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/07/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  6 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue   4

Today's Topics:

      [*] cdev/network-time-10.hqx
      [*] Info-Mac Software Librarian 1.0
      [*] LOODLES 4.0.3 disk labeling utility
      [*] WKQuoterRCMD
      Another Netter's Dinner
      CAD -> Tiff?
      Compactor AGAIN  (sorry)
      disk optimizers
      Ejecting diskettes under GuardDog
      Grammer & Spelling checkers
      Hypercard 2.0 and Reports
      ImageWriter Problem
      Info-Mac volume numbering
      Lost in Database
      mac gets confused when ejecting disks
      Macintosh Basics Tutorial
      Mail Merge Database Software
      Need HD Purchase Advice
      Old Systems and Finders
      Plz post the MacUser 1990 index to Info-Mac archives
      R/O Pagemaker
      Scanned NIH forms?
      Serial to Appletalk Printing
      Source Code Control Systems
      SUM Shield INIT warning !!!
      Transfering picture from Mac to PC
      Why the Mac may not survive
      zmodem for Unix

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 91 17:08:15 CST
From: Pete Resnick <resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] cdev/network-time-10.hqx

Network Time 1.0 is the clock setting program for TCP/IP networked
Apple Macintosh computers. Network Time is a combination Control Panel
and Startup document for setting your Macintosh computer's clock. The
program uses the MacTCP network software from Apple to contact a network
timeserver to get the exact time of day. Every time you restart your
computer, and at times you specify thereafter, Network Time will reset
the Macintosh clock as accurately as you need it, as well as
automatically readjusting for daylight savings time.

Network Time includes the program and a small manual with instructions.
Use of MacTCP and the Map Control Panel utility are required.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/network-time-10.hqx; 121K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Jan 91 20:11:49 PST
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: [*] Info-Mac Software Librarian 1.0

A HyperCard 2.0 stack that can be used to keep track of the >400
software uploads to the sumex-aim archives each year.  Store each
Info-mac digest in a text file, and then use this stack to extract
information about each software addition to the archives.  A nice way to
organize this information.

Distributed on the FAX/mail ware system:  send me a FAX, or a postcard
>From your hometown, if you use this stack.

Paul Romaniuk

[Archived as /info-mac/card/info-mac-software-librarian.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: 05 JAN 91 10:33:55 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] LOODLES 4.0.3 disk labeling utility

LOODLES 4.0.3 is an excellent disk labeller optimized for laser
printers.  What is so unique about the application is how painless
it is to use so that one can get the directory that he or she really wants
and a graphic.  The graphic is optional; it is also easy to obtain.
LOODLES 4.0.3 will read the resource fork of any program and will
get a great sampling of graphics.  How slick!
This is a solid program.  As indicated earlier, I emulate a Mac Plus
on my Atari ST via the Spectre emulator.  This emulator is great but
it is sensitive to programs making illegal calls.  LOODLES 4.0.3 has
never crashed, locked up, or munged my computer in anyway.  For a real
Mac, this program should be quite secure and a champ to use.  I really
love it.  I have uploaded it to the domain for everyone's enjoyment
and think that the authors, Josh and Nick Franco, should be complimented.
Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

[Archived as /info-mac/app/loodles-403.hqx; 106K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 21:09:23 EST
From: L. Maurice Riggins <lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil>
Subject: [*] WKQuoterRCMD

Quoter 1.21 RCMD for White Knight.
Notice that the TEXT file procedure contains 10K of resource fork,
which is the RCMD itself; so, when copying the text procedure
file, be sure to do a Finder copy, not a "select all-paste" copy
of the text.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/rcmd-quoter-121.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 91 13:04:06 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Another Netter's Dinner

     #     #                                           ###
     ##    #  ######   #####   #####  ######  #####    ###     ####
     # #   #  #          #       #    #       #    #    #     #
     #  #  #  #####      #       #    #####   #    #   #       ####
     #   # #  #          #       #    #       #####                #
     #    ##  #          #       #    #       #   #           #    #
     #     #  ######     #       #    ######  #    #           ####

          ######
          #     #     #    #    #  #    #  ######  #####
          #     #     #    ##   #  ##   #  #       #    #
          #     #     #    # #  #  # #  #  #####   #    #
          #     #     #    #  # #  #  # #  #       #####
          #     #     #    #   ##  #   ##  #       #   #
          ######      #    #    #  #    #  ######  #    #

This is the FINAL CALL for the Netter's Dinner.  Please RSVP!  I have a group
of about 20 people going.  There has been a TIME CHANGE!  Please note that
dinner will be AFTER MacWorld on Thursday.  MacWorld runs from 3PM to 9PM on
Thursday.  We will meet at 9PM in the upper concourse of the Moscone Center. I
will be the tall fellow with a loud Hawaiian shirt on under a scruffy brown
leather jacket. We will walk to the Hunan at 9:30, which involves a short
jaunt through some of SF's more secure neighborhoods.  We will be going to the
Hunan on Sansome and Broadway.  Hunan is Chinese for HOT, so be prepared for
spicy food.

If you have any further questions, call me.

Jon Pugh

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239
[Distribution to more than ten people]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 91 08:07:45 LCL
From: ESMITH@suvm
Subject: CAD -> Tiff?

   Does anyone know if there is a way to generate TIFF datasets
>From Autocad? I have the need to use some drawings already in Autocad
in a Pagemaker document and I don't want to have to scan them if I
can create TIFF images directly. Any response would be greatly
appreciated.

   As Always,
     Gene Smith
     ESMITH@SUVM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 1991 23:45:21 EST
From: JK_APPLEREP@unhh.unh.edu (Joe Kazura)
Subject: Compactor AGAIN  (sorry)

Hi all,

I just ran some of my own tests between Compactor and StuffIt Deluxe.

I used a SoundEdit 2.0 file that I'm sending to a friend, the initial size,
according to the Finder is 118230 bytes.

StuffIt Deluxe with VIRUS protection ON took 2 Min 43 sec and resulted a
56837 byte file, a 52% reduction.

Compactor (non-self-extracting, same as StuffIt) took 1 min 8 sec and resulted
a 73234 bytes file, a 38% reduction.

Here's the REALLY interesting point!!!

After BINHEXing the two files I got these results:

The StuffIt Deluxe file went from 56837 to 77476 after BinHexing.

The Compactor file went from 73234 to 99546 after BinHexing.

These tests were run on an SE with a 40mb Quantum (file access) and 4mb of RAM
(program execution) under MultiFinder 6.1.5 and no other applications running.

The interesting thing I noticed was the size after BinHexing!! Very Interesting!

Regards,

Joe Kazura	Apple Computer - Student Rep
University of New Hampshire	Durham, NH
BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH	Applelink: ST0566
INTERNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH.UNH.EDU
The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 17:54:07 EST
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: disk optimizers

> I was wondering:  are there any disk optimizers available via ftp or
> otherwise over the net?  If not, what's everyone's fave commercial optimizer?

I'm not aware of any *good* PD optimizers, and in fact until recently, I
don't think there were any *good* commercial ones either.  I've recently
been reviewing the new versions of MacTools and Norton Utilities for the
Mac.  Both are very good packages so far as I have played with them; both
are able to perform disk repairs at a level beyond other previous favs
(namely 1st Aid Kit HFS).  MacTools is a little poorly organized and could
use some interface improvements, however seems to be slightly more robust
and effective, and possibly a little faster.  Norton Utilities is a very
polished package, well organized, but not quite as adept at repair and
recovering disks and files (at least this is my experience).

Both packages include optimizers which seem to work equally well.  Both give
you options for "prioritizing" the locations of files on disk by type, which
does improve performance and can help to slow further fragmentation,
although I believe each has slightly different approaches to
"prioritizing".  I personally prefer the optimizer from Norton Utilities; it
has an excellent interface, and has a few more gradations of file types for
"prioritizing".

Hope this helps...  - Gregg

Gregg TeHennepe       | SysAdm, Academic Computing          | Yes, but this
gateh@conncoll.bitnet | Connecticut College, New London, CT | one goes to 11...

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with any of the companies/products
mentioned above; opinions expressed are mine alone.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 08:52:52 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: Ejecting diskettes under GuardDog

Greetings,

I believe diskettes can be ejected and removed from the desktop by holding down
the option key while using the Eject command (Eject under the File menu, or
Command-E) while GuardDog is active.

Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator            Lab: (208) 385-1859
Faculty Development Lab - Room 213                       Office: (208) 385-1250
Simplot/Micron Technology Center                       CompuServe ID: 76666,511
Boise State University                            CREN (BITNET): duscarte@idbsu
1910 University Drive                        Internet: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise, ID  83725                        --> Preferred: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 91 12:43:21 EST
From: dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Grammer & Spelling checkers

What are folks opinions on the current crop of grammer and spelling checkers
on the market?  Do the grammer checkers work?  How complete are the spelling
checkers?  Which ones have add-on dictionaries?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 91 17:47:56 EST
From: dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Hypercard 2.0 and Reports

I had read recently where a company had bought the rights to Reports for
Hypercard, updated it to Hypercard 2.0 and was offering to update existing
copies of Reports for a nominal fee.  Does anyone have the specifics on this
offer?  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 91 02:16:27 GMT
From: salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter)
Subject: ImageWriter Problem
The ImageWriter II printer attached to my Mac IIcx running hypercard
2.0 is using too much paper.  The problem is the automatic formfeed
sent to the printer when a card(s) is printed. I've tried everything
that I know to disable the form feed to the printer.  Now I am
trying to reset the FORM LENGTH to help reduce the paper usage.  When
I sent the characters from hypercard to set the form length, they
seem have no effect.  Thanks, for any help with my problem.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 08:57:13 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: Info-Mac volume numbering

>Date: Wed, 2 Jan 1991 11:36:51 PST
>From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Ninth year of Info-Mac?
>
>As some have pointed out, Info-Mac is probably not in its ninth year, because
>then it would predate the Macintosh. I have no idea why the volume number was
>eight last year, then.
>
>Bill

Incremented by semester, possibly?  That would take it back to 1986 or so.

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 91 10:04:53 +0200
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lost in Database

Hello Netters,

A person here backed up her database with HD backup 1.0.  The
database is a list of names and addresses that are used in the
publication of a catalog and was made with Filemaker II.  The HD
back up set consists of two disks.  Since the catalog is only updated
periodically, she removed the original to make more space on her
hard drive.

Now the problem part.  When she tried to restore the backup,
everything went smoothly until the application asked for the third
disk.  There are only two disks though.  I believe there were only
two disks, since the file on the second disk is smaller than the file on
the first disk (ie. the disk is not full).

Theses are the things I tried:

1.  I tried using HD backup v1.0 and v1.1 to restore the file.  The
same problem occurred.

2.  If at the point the program asks for the third disk, I select cancel,
HD backup conveniently erases all its work before quitting.

3.  So what I then did was turned off my mac at the point where it
asked for the non-existent third disk.  Now I have a file about 1.5
megs in size which is just about right.  The file unfortunately has no
icon and Filemaker II does not recognize it.  I then used Sum II Tools
to edit the file type and creator.  Filemaker begins to open the file
but of course fails.

I used Sum Tools to look at the Hexadecimal format and can see parts
of the data.  I know it is there.

What are my options?  Is there any way I can get at least the text
information out?  Is Filemaker Pro more tolerant of damaged
databases?  Why is HD backup such a stupid program?  Is there
anyway I can convince it that there is really only two disks.

Any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

David L. Hirschberg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 91 08:48:01 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: mac gets confused when ejecting disks

On Wed, 2 Jan 1991 22:59:47 PST you said:
>and I use the SAVE AS... dialog box to select a floppy, save the document
>to the floppy, choose OPEN..., and click EJECT while the floppy still shows
>as the active selected drive, the system displays the following alert box:
>
>          (pict of 2 floppies)  Please Insert the Disk named:
>                                 Hard Disk 148

While I can't explain why you get exactly what you do, it seems to me you
are confusing your poor Mac by asking to OPEN a file while (at the same time)
EJECTing the disk (?).

Here's an easier way to eject the disk...

Afte you've completed the Save As, do Command-Shift-1 (that will eject the
disk).  You may STILL get the "Please Insert the Disk..." dialog (MacWrite
II seems to notice that the volume for the "current directory" is no longer
mounted).  When you do, Command-period will cause the dialog to go away
(as I recall the "current directory" gets set back to the HD).

The only circumstance for which I *know* the above won't work is if the
volume you're trying to dismount happens to be the boot volume (the Mac
seems most unhappy if it can't find the currently open System file :-)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 19:43:56 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Macintosh Basics Tutorial

Arrrrgh!  It is very frustrating that the "Macintosh Basics" tour
does not run from a hard drive.  It's so silly.  You set up a
megabucks computer for a new Mac user and instead of being able to
say "Just point and click on this (icon) and you'll be introduced to
the basics", you have to go through the tedious process of showing
them how to start the thing from a floppy!  And it takes such a long
time to load that a new user is likely going to look at it just
once.  This may be enough for some, but other new users need to go
through it several times before they catch on!

The old versions of the Macintosh Tour ran just fine from a hard
disk (as long as you have greater than 1MB memory) but newer
versions do not.  This is a pain, especially if you want to put it
on a network server, as would be the case in a school lab.

Sure it makes sense to be able to boot and run from the "Basics"
disk so that a new user can learn enough to be able to set up their
hard drive, but there's no damn excuse at all for not making it hard
drive compatible.  Apple, smarten up, this is the nineties!

So, having vented my frustration, is there any way to hack the
"Macintosh Basics" program so that it will run from a hard disk?

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 91 14:12:10 LCL
From: ESMITH@suvm
Subject: Mail Merge Database Software

   Could someone tell me of a good commercial package that supports
mail merge capabilities along with database. What I'd like to be able
to do is search/select & sort on specific criteria within the database and
create a form letter to be sent to the people selected using
data contained in the database record. Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated!

   As Always,
     Gene
   ESMITH@SUVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 91 11:22:23 EST
From: john dinan <37A6PNI%CMUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Need HD Purchase Advice

Christmas was fruitful, so I have $350-500 set aside to finally purchase
a hard drive for my basic SE; the limitations of the 20mb have been driving
me crazy, as I'm sure many of you can imagine.  I am constantly kicking
stuff off it, and my wife wants to do some modest DTP, etc--so I'm in the
market for as much reasonably secure storage as I can get with those
modest funds.  I'm leery about cracking the SE, so I'm most interested in
an external drive.  The ads from mail-order houses indicate that I'm in the
40-60mb range.  Fine (for now).  I'm looking for advice about models/makers
(I've heard of the expensive ones, but what about the Poweruser hd sold
thru MacWarehouse and bargain hd's of that sort?), sizes (e.g., can i trust
a 60mb drive that sells--as some in the Mac mag ads do sell--for under
$500?), vendors (is my usual route--mail order--o.k. for this kind of
purchase?), etc.?  This is too important/expensive a decision to leave up to
my relative ignorance, so I'd really appreciate advice from those more
experienced than I.  Thanks.

                           John Dinan

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  6 Jan 91 20:00:40 -0500 (EST)
From: John Thomas <jt29+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Old Systems and Finders

I need to get a Mac System 3.2 and a Finder 5.3 to run on an old plus.  Is
there an archive somewhere that stores such things?  Thanks in advance.

####################
J.B. Thomas
jt29+@andrew.cmu.edu
####################

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  6 JAN 91 07:45:50 PST
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Plz post the MacUser 1990 index to Info-Mac archives

The February issue of MacUser (page 288) discusses a HyperCard
stack that indexes all the 1990 issues of MacUser. Would some
kind sole with access to CompuServe download the file MUINDX.SEA
and post it to the Info-Mac archive. I think this would be useful
to many.  --Len Schwer  micro2.schwer@sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1991 11:45:46 EST
From: GILBERT@vax.wi.edu (William Gilbert)
Subject: R/O Pagemaker

We're looking for a "read-only" version of PageMaker so that we can use our
E-Mail system to send out our weekly bulletin using MicroSoft Mail.

Obviously, we can't afford to put PageMaker on each receivers Macintosh nor
the end users want to have to use a program to read a Newsletter.

Thanks in advance...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 91 12:02:14 EST
From: saper@norway.biop.umich.edu (Mark A. Saper (313)764-3353)
Subject: Scanned NIH forms?

Does anyone have the Public Health Service (N.I.H) grant application forms,
scanned and on-line?  If so I would be interested in a set.

Thanks, Mark Saper

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 19:58:20 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Serial to Appletalk Printing

Does anyone have a newer version of ATPrint (the version I have is
86.1b) or a similar program that will run on Macintosh II computers
or under MultiFinder?

ATPrint is a program that will take any data coming in the modem
port, convert it to appletalk packets, and fire it out the printer
port.  The idea being that you can print from a non-appletalk
equipped computer (like an IBM PC or Unix machine) to an appletalk
device like a LaserWriter IINT by connecting its serial port to the
modem port of the Mac running ATPrint.

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 13:04:04 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Source Code Control Systems

Are there any source code control systems that will maintain various
versions and keep track of deltas for source code files and text files
(e.g., WriteNow)?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jan 91 19:23:05
From: Wolfgang Naegeli <Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_IAAS@qm01.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: SUM Shield INIT warning !!!

                       Subject:                                Time: 7:06 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          SUM Shield INIT warning !!!             Date:
1/6/91
I was shocked, when I recently discovered that my SUM restore diskette was
empty.
I had not looked at it for a long time, but whenever I had shut down my Mac
IIci and inserted the diskette to have SUM update the Volume Restore Record, I
saw and heard much hard disk and floppy disk activity, which made me believe
that the records on both disks were being updated.
After several unsuccessful trials, I called Symantec Technical Support, but
they were not of much help. They suggested I reinstall SUM, but that did not
help.

I have now discovered the reason for the malfunction:  I was using an 800k
floppy disk, and this worked well initially. But my Volume Restore Record now
contains some 880k, which naturally won't fit on the diskette.

I think it is unforgivable that SUM neither tells me about the problem, nor
prompts me for a second diskette, but simply proceeds to shut down the Mac,
leaving me with a false sense of security.

I'll call Symantec to report this, but they don't have a good track record of
informing its customers promptly about potentially harmful bugs. So please tell
other SUM users about this.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 91 14:39 N
From: "jordi@sc2a.unige.ch ==> S. Jordi, Geneva, Switzerland"
Subject: Transfering picture from Mac to PC

Hi there,
I took some pictures I have scanned on a mac Scanner to the PC environment.
I use 2 methods:
1) I save my images or pictures in TIFF format, and then copy them via
   Apple File Exchange to a MS-DOS floppy. But I disable the DCA-RFT option
   in the "Mac To MS-DOS" menu.
2) I copy the file directly to my PC via AppleTalk Pc Card (my PC is also
   connected to my Mac as a disk drive!)
Both methods work perfectly. Then I import these pictures to my editor
(Word for Windows, or Pagemaker). But I think Word and PageMaker on the Mac
are far better than the PC versions.
Take care to save your pictures on the mac as compressed tiff!

Hope it'll help you.

And remember that: don't worry, be Apple !

Steve Jordi
University of Geneva, Switzerland: jordi@sc2a.unige.ch or jordi@cgeuge52.bitnet
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology: jordi@sicsun3.epfl.ch

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Jan 91 12:06:05 EET
From: SO-JAM%finou.oulu.fi@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Why the Mac may not survive

Ron Websters verbose note in Infomac Digest Tue 1 Jan 91 Vol 91 Issue 1
was quite off the point as will be seen from the story I give below.
I came to Finland froma 3rd World country in 1984. I was thrown into
an environment having had no real hands on experience with Computers.
The first Computer that I had to handle was a VAX system and I seemed
to be spending time reading manuals. I bought myself an Apple II c and
suddenly life became bearable. I moved up to a 512 much against the
wishes of my colleagues who were dead keen on IBM AT's and XT's. That
was in 1985. Today our Microelectronics laboratory has several fXs,
cxs, IIxs, IIs, SE30's, SES, Pluses and even an upgraded 512 controlling
Xray diffraction equipment. Probably the only machine idle is my original
Apple IIc|| On top of this almost all the staff and students have their
own Macs at home. We have virtually discarded our IBM PCB layout system
and we are now in the process of installing Mac versions. Our data
acquisition mode to the Mac environment as soon as we started working
on our research programme oh High Temperature Superconductors. Our laser
facility is controlled by a Mac. We still have a couple of IBM's in the
lab, we are connected to the University Mainframe which is an IBM, our
Department Mainframe works in the SUN environment, but given half a
chance, the researchers, students and staff of our lab would buy Mac
for their personal and research purposes.
I can assure Ran Webster that the Mac will survive even with its
ridiculous high pricing strategy. We do not have to be hardware or
software experts to handle a Mac and that is the way it should be. We
can spend our time doing our work rather than learning about the tools
that we have to use to do our work.
Mac could do wonders for its market share if it had a few bright people
on its team. It is rather an inward looking company trying to fight the
Big Blue all the time. If only it would concentrate on the real issues
there is no reason to doubt that the Mac will survive well into the
3000's|||
For the record I work with all the environments, am presently testing
a Portfolio (not ATARI but from the people that ATARI buy it from||)
and will continue to spend time making life easier for my colleagues.
In this Mac has certainly been one of my greatest assets.
JACOB MATTHAN, CHIEF ENGINEER, MICROELECTRONICS & MATERIAL PHYSICS
LABORATORIES, UNIVERSITY OF OULU, OULU, FINLAND 90570.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Jan 91 23:27:27 -0500
From: Andy at Williams <93ajm@cc.williams.edu>
Subject: zmodem for Unix

I am looking for a program to do Zmodem transfers running one end on a unix
(SUN OS 4.1.1) system. The only one I have found is by Chuck Forsberg/Omen
Technologies INC (release 3.00). This release appears to have bugs as it
will not transfer to any of the personal computers I have tried. (I have
attempted it with ProComm, Red Ryder (for xmodem), White Knight, and an older
program called ZTerm. None work.)

The failure occurrs after 1024 bytes have been transferred, using xmodem,
ymodem, or zmodem.

I would appreciate information on how to make this version work, or where
a bug-free/working one is avaliable.

Andrew Mauer			//	93ajm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest