info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/12/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 11 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:

      Administrivia
      Apples for everyone
      Byron Mayes refusal to RTFM
      compactor
      Disk Optimizers: Disk Express II
      Disk Optimizers: SpeedDisk
      Dutch language support for the Mac
      Easy Access
      File transfer question . . . (2 msgs)
      Interupt commands
      Landscape architecture resources
      Mac mail systems
      MPW C <-> Think C
      Wildcard VAX<->Mac File Transfer

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 15:41:23 PST
From: mtm@camis.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin)
Subject: Administrivia

[... From our sysadmin...]

	We are installing a new ftp daemon on SUMEX-AIM which will limit
the number of simultaneous anonymous ftp connections. We have been forced to
this because the system load quite often gets high enough that normal
usage comes to a standstill. Currently this is set up to allow 25 connections
at a time, and anonymous logins are prevented after that until the number
of connections again drops below 25. We are trying to find a way that this
number can be raised during "off hours" so that possibly a hundred connections
might be allowed in the middle of the night or on weekends. This will
follow shortly, but presently, the limit is fixed at 25 round the clock.
	We still wish to support the info-mac community, and hope that this
does not cause undue hardships. As the limits will keep the system load to
a reasonable level, file transfer performance should INCREASE significantly,
allowing more transfers per unit of time, which should make life easier for
the info-mac community in the long run.
	I am asking that info-mac users be made aware of this policy, and
to ask for everybody's cooperation to keep the ftp access open. They should
keep their login time to a minimum, so that others will get a chance to use
the service, and call during off hours (Pacific time) for the greatest
chance of making a successful connection. This also implies that multiple
connections per user is highly anti-social, and may lead to our taking
even more anti-social actions to prevent this kind of activity.

Thank you,

mike - (Mike Macgirvin)       mtm@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU
System Administrator          SUMEX-AIM Computer Facility

[There also seems to have been a change to the password checker. It now
 looks to see if the password seems like a real mail address. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91  08:45:57 EST
From: Mark_Vivino%NIHDCRT.BITNET@cu.nih.gov
Subject: Apples for everyone

Date: 1-9-91 9:55am
>From: Mark Vivino:dcrt:nih
  To: {info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu}:bitnet
Subj: Apples for everyone
 ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu writes
>IBM makes sures that every thing with a
>chip in it is PC-based. Why can't Apple do the same thing and promote
>games development. NOT for the sake of games, but to create a pool
>of Casual Programmers.
>By my definition, a Casual Programmer would be one who programs for
>the fun of it out of his own time. Most students anywhere knows
>Turbo Pascal or Turbo C for the PC environment, but how many
>buy  Think C (or God forbid, MPW) just to program for fun???!!!
>What are your opinions on what you think Apple should do?

    Not just for games, I think most students would write serious
applications if they were exposed to Mac's. Part of the problem is also
in hardware, both in information about it and its cost. Apple's books on
designing cards aren't much, and while every engineering school has
students building PC-clone boards, none of them touches Mac's. Why?
Apple is too protective over it's hardware. Cost, of course, is a real
hinderance and while the Mac-LC is not too high, it fails to cut it in
my opinion.

    But not all is Apples fault. Most CS courses don't teach how to
program a GUI and I think it blows away most people who are first
exposed to it. If I didn't have people at my work who know how to
program the Mac interface, it would have been real difficult for me to
learn it. (God forbid and read a MPW manual).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 09:23:45 -0800
From: krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Byron Mayes refusal to RTFM

> Byron Mayes writes:

> Also, can someone please tell me what easy access does?  It's nowhere to be
> found in the Macintosh documentation and I refuse to go buy a $15.00+ third
> party book just to figure it out.
> *FLAME ON*

Through System 6.0.4, documentation for Easy Access can be found in the
"Macintosh System Software User's Guide". For System 6.0.5 and above, Apple
reorganized the documentation into the "Macintosh Reference" One or the other
of these books was shipped with every Macintosh I've ever seen.

Easy Access can be found in the index of each and every edition of the
Macintosh Reference or System Software User's Guide, with two pages of
descriptive information in the body of the book. In the latest edition it's on
pp. 347-349. In the System 6.0 edition it's on pp. 166-169.

[...]

These are very useful little programs, and I applaud Apple for making them
available. I don't think any other vendor's system software gives any
consideration at all to people who have difficulty using standard keyboards
and monitors. Seems like "The computer for the rest of us" meant "The computer
for *all* the rest of us" to someone at Apple. And yes, Byron, all this is
right there in the manual...

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 91 09:01:51 GMT
From: 6500rgls@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Randall S Geels)
Subject: compactor

>Is there really any advantage to using Gatekeeper in addition to
>Disinfectant's Init?

As far as I know, Gatekeeper is the only way to protect yourself from
unknown viruses (ie. those that are not specifically known to
disinfectant already). Gatekeeper prevents unpriviledged applications
>From changing or adding anything which has executable code in it.

Randy Geels

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 1991 23:18 CST
From: Paul Kleeberg <PAUL@gacvx1.gac.edu>
Subject: Disk Optimizers: Disk Express II

I also have been using Disk Express II (v. 2.04) from ALSoft for quite some
time now and have found it to be quite relable.  The only problem I have
encountered and which I attribute to Disk Express is when an optimization
occurs during the transfer of a file.  Using ZTerm (v. 0.85) and the ZModem
protocol, I downloaded a 1.4 MB file with my vanilla 2400 baud modem after I
went to bed.  The optimization occurs every day and started at midnight.  In
the morning when I arose I saw that the transfer had been aborted.  ZModem
attempted to resume where it left off but consistently got CRC errors.
Trashing the partially transmitted file and beginning again fixed the problem
and the file was transferred without an error.  I cannot be sure if it is Disk
Express, but it has occurred twice now during nocturnal transmissions so I am
suspicious.  An easy fix is to turn off automatic optimization until the
morning.

Paul Kleeberg, M.D.      | Internet:   Paul@GAC.EDU
Methodist Hospital       | Bitnet:     Paul@GACVAX1.BITNET
217 West Swift Street    | Fax:        507-931-6752
St. Peter, MN 56082      | Voice:      507-931-6721

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 12:53:23 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: Disk Optimizers: SpeedDisk

I find Speed Disk, one of the Norton Utilities options excellent

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 09:48:54 +0100
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Dutch language support for the Mac

Hello Stephen,

I have a dutch dictionary for MacWrite II as well as a thesaurus and speller
for WordPerfect, so I guess the answer to your question is YES!

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 08:40 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER%IUP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Easy Access

Byron -
   Easy Access is documented on pages 347-349 of the Macintosh Reference manual
(and indexed on page 383) - at least in my manual (IIcx).  Just in case your
manual is different, here's a brief run-down.  Install Easy Access by putting
it in your System Folder and restarting.  This gives you access to 2 EA
features:  Sticky Keys and Mouse Keys.  To turn on Sticky Keys, press the shift
key 5 times without moving the mouse.  Now, pressing any modifier key (shift,
control, option, or command) "holds down" that key while you press the next
key; and pressing the same modifier key twice "locks down" that key until you
press it again.  This is mainly for handicapped users who can only press one
key at a time and who need a way to type Command-S or Option-n, etc.  Turn off
Sticky Keys by pressing two modifier keys at once, or by pressing the shift key
5 times in a row (without moving the mouse).
   Mouse Keys lets you move the mouse using the numeric keypad.  To activate
it, press Command-Shift-Clear (the top left key on the keypad).  If necessary,
you can use Sticky Keys to type this combination.  With Mouse Keys, pressing
"5" on the keypad clicks the mouse button and the numbers around "5" move the
mouse in the corresponding direction.  The zero key presses and holds the mouse
button for dragging, and the decimal point key releases it.  To turn off Mouse
Keys, press Command-Shift-Clear again.

Mark Nutter                                              MANUTTER@IUP.BITNET
Apple Support Manager
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't look in his mouth." - Archie B.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91 09:49:51 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: File transfer question . . .

On Mon, 7 Jan 91 08:45 PST you said:
>    I'm trying to transfer a collection of files from a VAX to my Mac.  Can
>someone tell me how this can be done in a sort of 'batch' mode...
>...something like: program_prompt > SEND *.ADA
>and the two programs would co-ordinate the naming, opening, closing, etc of
>each file automatically.  One emulator (Kermit, I believe) will send all the
>files from the VAX, but concatenates them all into a single file on the Mac.

Unless there's something *peculiar* about the Kermit setup on the VAX end,
MacKermit will permit download of *.ADA into SEPARATE files (I do it all
the time with MacKermit and IBM's VM/CMS).  Since Apple 2 Kermit does batch
transfers the very same way, I'd guess that if you're really receiving
concatenated files, it's the host end that's failing to separate them.

Perhaps someone else using VMS (?) can comment?

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 10:51:57 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>

>Hi,
>    I'm trying to transfer a collection of files from a VAX to my Mac.  Can
>someone tell me how this can be done in a sort of 'batch' mode.  I have
>two terminal emulators which allow a file-by-file transfer, but there
>are several hundred files and it would be nice if I could just tell the
>VAX something like:
>	program_prompt > SEND *.ADA
>and the two programs would co-ordinate the naming, opening, closing, etc of
>each file automatically.  One emulator (Kermit, I believe) will send all the
>files from the VAX, but concatenates them all into a single file on the Mac.
>This is acceptable as a last resort, but not desireable.
>
>    I know I'll need both ends of the program (one for the VAX and one for
>the Mac).  Thanks for your help.

Ed,
   I'd consider using zmodem. It allows batch file transfers, with the Mac
implementation keeping the files separate. Just move all the files you wish
to download to a directory, type 'sz *' and relax for a few hours. White
Knight supports the zmodem protocol, as does MicroPhone and probably several
other packages.
   Tell your sysadmins to poke around at some archive sites for the sources
to zmodem for the VAX.

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 10:40:57 GMT
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Interupt commands

If the interupt key is pressed and you get the small white window with the

> cursor the try typing sm0 a9f4 <return>
			g 0

This sometimes works. If not then you may have to reboot anyway.
Another way is to have a debugger such as MacsBug or Tmon Loaded into the
system.
Tmon is by far the better one. A friend of mine once said
"comparing MacsBug to TMON is like comparing teachtext to Word 4!"

*<   Peter J Hardman.               Network Manager.       >*
*>   Phone (UK)061-275-4640       Chemistry Department.    <*
*<   Fax   (UK)061-275-4958      Manchester University.    >*
*>   EMail hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa  Oxford Rd. Manchester M13 9PL <*

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 91  1:21 -0600
From: Michael Zajac <mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Landscape architecture resources

Does anyone know of any BBS dedicated to architecture and landscape
architecture applications of the Macintosh?

Also, are the landscape modelling tools developed at the School of
Architecture, Property and Planning, University of Auckland (mentioned
in Paul Bourke's letter to ACADIA) available on any public archive?

Thanx
Michael Zajac
mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca
(204) 269-7027

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  9 Jan 91 08:08 EST
From: Bill Wine <BIWINE%VASSAR.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac mail systems

I posted this to the tcp-ip list.  It may also be of interest to the
info-mac list.

Last month I asked the (tcp-ip) list if the POP3 protocol was appropriate
for a large Mac/PC mail system.  I received some replies to that question,
but I received even more requests such as "if you get some good answers,
please let me know, since we are looking for a mail system, too".  For
that reason, I thought it might be useful to present some basic information
that I have gathered over the last 2 months about public domain Mac-based
mail systems.  I do not claim to be an expert on this topic.

First, I am aware of 3 pd mail management protocols for which client-server
software is available.  These are POP2, POP3, and IMAP2.  The protocol
descriptions are available via anonymous ftp from nic.ddn.mil.
CD to RFC:, first.  POP2 is described in RFC937 (dated 2/85), POP3 in
RFC1081 (11/88), and IMAP2 in RFC1176 (8/90).

For information on what software is available and where to obtain it, I
suggest an excellent article by Mike Liveright which can be
found in the info-mac digest.  Ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu, and get
info-mac/digest/infomacv8-145.txt.

The following is a summary of the pd mail systems I reviewed:

1. MacMS is an IMAP2 client.  The mail is stored on the host.  This means that
you can read all of your mail no matter where you are.  You could use a  Mac
client, a PC, Unix workstation or terminal.  Also, the backup is done on the
host, so the user is less likely to lose mail.  The client remains logged into
the host (1 host process per client).  A check for newmail is done at a
user-defined time interval.  There is an excellent message selection feature -
search on RFC header (from, subject, date, etc.) and/or body text.  Also, an
easy to use mail reader (close current message and open next).  You can move
selected messages from the current mailbox to another, but only 1 mailbox may
be open at a time.  I did not see a feature to append a file to a mail message.
User preferences are set in a startup document.  A PC client is available or
will be soon.

2. TechMail is a POP3 client.  Mail is transferred from the inbox on the host
to the client, and deleted on the host (no option to save mail on host). You
can have multiple mailboxes on the client, and transfer mail among them.  More
than 1 mailbox may be open at the same time.  User preferences are easily set
in the program.  There is a built-in finger and directory. The client does not
remain connected to the host.  The client connects to the server, gets newmail,
and disconnects.  The main drawback to this product is that there is no
automatic notification of newmail.  The user must initiate this.  I understand
that newmail notification or automatic check  will be provided in the next
release.  There is a discussion list with an  archive.  Text files may be sent
with mail.  No PC client.

3. Eudora is also a POP3 client, and it is similar in function to TechMail. One
important difference is that Eudora checks for newmail by connecting to the
host at a user-defined time interval.  Setting the time to zero turns off the
check.  Also, Eudora gives the option of saving mail on the host after it is
transferred to the client.  This can be an important backup feature if the
server is modified to move mail to an archive folder, or distinguish between
old mail and new mail.  Eudora supports enclosures of any file type (automatic
binhex conversion).  Supports multiple mailboxes on the client and can sort
messages based on sender, subject or date.  It also sends commands to a
nameserver and gets back the results.  No PC client.

4. HyperMail is a POP3 client.  Unlike the 2 POP3 clients described above, it
remains connected to the server, and mail remains on the host.  It sees  only
the inbox folder on the host.  Messages may be saved as individual files on the
client.

5. MacPOP is a POP2 client which requires an enhanced POP2 server.  I did not
check out the difference, but it did not work with a regular POP2 server. The
client remains connected to the host, and the mail remains on the host.  Only
the inbox on the host can be seen.  The POP2 protocol does  provide a folder
command to select a different mailbox on the host, but this product does not
seem to use that feature.  One message at a time can be saved to an individual
text file on the client.  The interesting thing about MacPOP is that it uses an
auxilliary program, POPAlert to provide notification of newmail.  POPAlert is
an init/cdev which listens on a DDP port.  The package includes a modified
comsat program that sends a DDP packet to the client Mac when newmail arrives.
MacPOP polls a driver to discover the  arrival of the DDP packet, and then
automatically downloads the newmail from the host.  The comsat program looks
for a file in the login directory which contains the zone(s) in which the
user's Mac is likely to be found. This works in a fairly static environment.
There is also a PC version  which works in a similar way (sends a UDP packet),
but I did not try it.

I have seen suggestions in the Techmail interest group mailing list that
POPAlert and the modified comsat program could be used to provide
asynchronous newmail notification for Techmail until the next release.
This would notify the user with an alert, and the user could then opt to
get the newmail from the host.

Others may argue that it is too difficult (or not worth the trouble)
to provide reliable asynchronous newmail notification in a non-static
mixed client environment.  The cost (in terms of cpu time) for a POP3
client to connect to a host and check for newmail is very low (with
a fast server, less than 1 second of cpu time).  On the other hand,
the commercial mail systems do provide pop-up notification.

6. POPMail is a POP2 client Hypercard implementation.  It does not remain
connected to the server, and uses an auxiliary program (Nag) to notify the
client when newmail arrives.  Nag polls the host at a pre-determined interval.
It does not support multiple mailboxes. Messages can be saved on the client as
individual files, or in a  stack archive.

I did not spend a lot of time looking at the 2 Hypercard implementations.

7. MacPost uses a proprietary protocol, and is the only pd system I looked at
that does not require MacTCP on the client.  It's architecture seems closer to
the commercial mail systems, such as QuickMail.  The client Mac communicates
with a dedicated server Mac, which communicates with an SMTP host.  Newmail
notification is provided.  Multiple mailboxes are not supported.  Text file
enclosures only.  Client must be registered with the server.  There is an
interest group mailing list.

The most important step in choosing a Mac-based mail system is deciding
on the underlying architecture.  Do you want the mail to remain on the
server, or should it be transferred to the client?  Other questions:
Do you need to support PC's as well as Macs?  Will you support MacTCP or
PC/IP on each client?  Does the implementation support multiple mailboxes
and enclosures?  Is it generally easy to use?  Is your server well matched
to the number of clients?

One feature that I did not see in any client is automatic filing of
messages into mailboxes based on user-defined rules (as in some Unix
systems).  This would be nice on systems that transfer mail to the
client.

I hope that this article has been useful to readers looking for a Mac-
based mail system.  I have generally avoided references to ftp sites.
See the info-mac digest article noted above for that information.
The information presented here is based on my use of the software, and
it is not guaranteed to be correct.

Bill Wine
biwine@vassar.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  8 Jan 91 23:40:04 +0300 (MSK)
From: butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su (Vladimir A. Butenko)
Subject: MPW C <-> Think C

Some days ago I've received some Qs about porting programs from Think C
to MPW C and vice versa. When I've switched to Think four months ago, I
had a lot of problems, too. Now I'll try to remember them and to explain
how to avoid these problems if you want your source to work in both
environments. (Sorry, I'm afraid that now I can't remember all).

The main advice: create special #include-file and localize all
differences in it (see example below).

I used MPW 3.0 and Think 4.0, so something could be changed.

1. Data types:
--------------

   - well-known: sizeof(int) == 2 in Think and sizeof(int) == 4  in MPW;

       How to avoid (well-known, too): use int only for short, and only
if you want to increase performance (both compilers have poor code
optimizing).

   - sizeof(double) == 10 in Think and sizeof(double) == 8 in MPW
(without MC688xx);

       How to avoid: if your data should be stored in a file (or sent
via network, etc.), define your own type (I use 'real') for such data
and don't forget to convert these data when passing to printf, don't use
them with scanf (My advice - don't use ANSI library 'Formatted IO' at
all - it's nice for debugging only).

2. Preprocessor
---------------

  Think has only one predefined symbol - THINK_C, so you should #define
symbols like 'macintosh' yourself.

  By the way, Think doesn't like the following:

#define op(x,op) x op= 2
  op(r,*);

O-u-u-u, Symantec Folks, where are you ???

3. Symbols:
-----------------

    Think C converts \n into LineFeed(0x0A), while MPW converts it into
Return(0x0D).
    How to avoid: don't use such symbols

4. Mac Includes:
----------------

  Think C has its own names for interface files - they differ from names
used in MPW and are organized in another way. Besides, if you have the
<MacHeaders> option ON in Think, you can include only "unstandard"
headers such as <AppleTalk.h> and so on.

  How to avoid: include #includes in the conditionally compiled header.

5.QuickDraw globals
-------------------

  while MPW defines a structure called 'qd' containing QD globals, Think
defines each QD global variable as an extern variable.

     How to avoid: don't use original names of QD globals - prefix them
with 'sys', for example, and #define them.

6. System Globals:
------------------

  while MPW defines LowMem as [address] constants, Think defines LowMem
extern vars, i.e.

  MemTop is a constant in MPW:   #define    MemTop   0x108
  MemTop is a variable in Think: extern Ptr MemTop : 0x108;

      How to avoid: again, define all LowMems with 'sys' prefix.

7. Var size arrays:
-------------------

  You can't use var-sized array as the last element of a struct in MPW
3.0 (too bad!), but you can do it in Think (and in MPW 2 too!):

typedef struct {
  short size;
  char  body[];          /* illegal in MPW 3.0 */
} name;

  There is only one way: define dummy size for such arrays, but be
careful when allocating memory for such structs!

8. Strings as initializers:
--------------------------

  while Think allows you to initialize char array with the string
without ending zero, MPW doesn't:

  static char buf[3] = "ABC";  /* legal in Think, not in MPW */
  You can't avoid this problem.

9. Structure comparison:
------------------------

  Think can't compare structures (Oh!).

     How to avoid: there is no way to avoid this problem, but you can
define macroses to compare Point and Rects, for example.

10. Inline functions:
---------------------

   You can't define inline functions in Think.

     How to avoid: define such functions as inline functions in MPW, and
as "asm" macroses in Think (it works only for procedures). See an
example below.

11. const keyword
---------------------

  Think doesn't support "const".
     How to avoid: #define const as a null string

12. "lvalue required"
----------------------

  Think doesn't allow you to use the following:

void* ptr;
(short*) ptr += 10;

  How to avoid: if such constructions are necessary, use one more indir.
level:

*(short**) &ptr += 10;

--------------- So, summarize ---------------------------

#ifdef THINK_C

/* -- preprocessor -- */
#define macintosh   /* I'm sure that there is no Thinks for Robotron! */
#define MC68000     /* the same                                       */

/* -- "visible" floating point data -- */
  typedef short double   real;

/* -- struct comparison -- */
# define CmpPoint(x,y) (*(long*) &(x) == *(long*)&(y))
# define CmpRect(x,y)  (*(long*) &(x).top    == *(long*)&(y).top && \
                        *(long*) &(x).bottom == *(long*)&(y).bottom)

/* -- QuickDraw globals -- */
# define sysPort        thePort
# define sysGray        Gray

/* -- System globals -- */
# define sysMemTop      MemTop
# define sysBufPtr      BufPtr

/* -- Inline procedures -- */
# define SaveD3() asm {\
                    MOVE.L D3,-(A7)\
                  }

/* -- system interface headers -- */
#include <nAppleTalk.h>

/* ---------- Misc ------------- */
# define const

#else

/* -- "visible" floating point data -- */
  typedef double         real;

/* -- struct comparison -- */
# define CmpPoint(x,y) ((x) == (y))
# define CmpRect(x,y)  ((x) == (y))

/* -- QuickDraw globals -- */
# define sysPort        qd.thePort
# define sysGray        qd.Gray

/* -- System globals -- */
# define sysMemTop     (*(Ptr*)MemTop)
# define sysBufPtr     (*(Ptr*)BufPtr)

/* -- Inline procedures -- */
static void SaveD3(void) = {0x2F03};

/* -- system interface headers -- */
# include <QuickDraw.h>
# include <AppleTalk.h>

#endif

I hope this helps.
--
Vladimir A. Butenko    		Internet:	<Butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su>
Gamma Software,			Phone:		7(095)939-2618

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 1991 9:04:35 EST
From: GILBERT@vax.wi.edu (William Gilbert)
Subject: Wildcard VAX<->Mac File Transfer

"Need to move 100+ between the MAC and VAX..."

Your best solution is move away from the "Public Domain" terminal emulators
and look at either Pacer Software, White Pines or Alisa.  We use Pacer
Software's PacerLink and are able to transfer all manor of wildcard files as
either ascii, binary, or if need be, MacBinary.  The Pacer cost may seem high
but the licensing is interesting - $2000 buys you a 5 user session license,
this does not mean a 5 user login limit but 5 simultaneous file transfer
sessions. We only recently upgraded from a 5 to 10 user limit.  You are also
free to distribute the Mac side of the software to as many Mac's as you have on
your system.  PCLink is a robust, easy to use, VT220 emulator.  The file
transfer is dialog box driven, VMS directories are displayed in a Mac scroll
box for selection.

Please no flames on this one, I know that the choice of a terminal emulator is
very personal. I speak here from the point of view of an MIS Manager who needs
to have reliable, supported products.

I'm not affliliated with Pacer but run a large (250+) Mac/VAX shop and used
Pacer Software products for over 6 years.   Currently, we use PacerLink,
PacerShare, PacerPrint, and most recently, PacerPost.

End of Info-Mac Digest