info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/17/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 16 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:

      [*] CASE Products 90
      [*] Compactor extractor v 1.0
      [*] whosthere.sit.hqx
      AppleShare PC & QEMM386
      Appleworks to Mac
      CD ROM
      Classic and Imagewriter One
      Classic lead time update
      Easy Access
      Fortran cross-referencer
      FORTRAN help
      Info-Mac Digest V9
      Iris <-> Mac summary
      Kermit and the Clipboard
      LEFTIES
      Marathon 030 Upgrades fro MacII and MacSE
      Screen Test Pattern Generator
      Spelling DA
      Sticky Mouse Syndrome
      System Tools Disk and Installer Program (Important)
      THINK C
      Think C for students?
      Three questions and a flame!
      Unfreezing Screens
      Ye 32Bit QuickDraw

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 00:06:43 PST
From: hws@icsi.berkeley.edu (Heinz Schmidt)
Subject: [*] CASE Products 90

Some time ago I wrote a survey in CASE tools. By and by, short tool descriptions
went into a Hypercard stack.

The stack now has more than 70 entries. Most of them give a list of what methods
are supported, on what platform the tool is running, vendor address, price, etc,
The stack includes an import facility, references and online help.  To the
extent that this dry matter allows, the graphics is cute. If you ever had a
chance to see Pat Lynch's public domain Bird Anatomy, you know what I mean.

I finished adding entries by end of last summer and finally, with the permission
of the German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD), I can put it
in the public domain.  Although the CASE market is dynamic, I believe the stack
still represents its state modulo minor changes.  At least others can pick up
>From here, repost it -- or may simply benefit and enjoy!

There is quite a number of Mac and PC CASE tools out there for low prices but of
course also the grand players have long entered the market offering their
mainframe COBOL CASE tools unbundled. Part of the market is moving to
object-orientation, often it is only lip-service.

A short companion report (about 60 pp. including tool signal info and my view of
why and where this market is going) can be obtained from GMD. The stack contains
the reference and the address (oh, don't write to me for obtaining the TR, their
Western US office is: GMD, 1942 University Ave. #207, Berkeley CA 94704.)

Heinz W. Schmidt                                     hws@icsi.berkeley.edu
International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, CA
on leave of GMD-F2G2, St. Augustin, FRG

[Archived as /info-mac/card/case-products.hqx; 284K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 11:34:35 EST
From: gall@nexus.yorku.ca (Norm Gall)
Subject: [*] Compactor extractor v 1.0

This little application sits in place of either compactor or extracotr
and will launch when a compactor archive is double-clicked (you have
to get rid of compactor, of course).

This is a boon to us that use StuffIt, don't want to purchase
Compactor, and hate decompressing with Extractor.

Now all someone has to do is write a compactor translator for Stuffit
deluxe/classic!!

Cheers,
nrg

[Archived as /info-mac/util/compactor-extractor.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 11:44:30 CST
From: ramer@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu (Kevin W. Ramer)
Subject: [*] whosthere.sit.hqx

	Who's There

	WHAT:
	This 'RDEV' was developed to use as an aid to finding / reporting
	network entities that use Name Binding Protocol (NBP).

	It allows selection of any NBP entity via the Chooser. It
	reports the NBP info and the network information (network,
	address,socket). I use it to look around.

	HOW:
	Put Who's There into your System Folder.  Get the Chooser DA.
	Select the Who's There icon.  Find an item in the list of devices
	and select it.  Click the mouse to close the window.

	A nice addition to this might be to do Echo's, but I haven't the time.

	The MPW source/makefile is included in this archive.

	Enjoy.

Kevin W. Ramer
ramer@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu	(205) 934-6433

Volker Hall G82L	    FAX: (205) 934-6571
UAB Station
Birmingham, AL
35294

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/whos-there.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 8:53:22 edt
From: "Wolter, Michael" <WOLTER%DICKINSN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: AppleShare PC & QEMM386

Has anyone figured out how to get Apple's LocalTalk PC card and AppleShare PC
software working with Quarterdeck's QEMM386 memory management software?  Any
information will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

- Michael Wolter
  Administrative Programmer/Analyst
  Dickinson College Computer Services
  WOLTER@DICKINSN.BITNET
  (717) 245-1527

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 17:56:55 EST
From: Jeff Ersoff <jae@uncecs.edu>
Subject: Appleworks to Mac

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Any suggestions as to what one can do to transfer documents created on
>an Apple II using Appleworks to a Mac?
>Thanks to any and all.

Microsoft Works for the Mac comes with a file called "works to works
transporter" which when used with Apple File Exchange will convert
Appleworks files to MS works files. To use it, your Apple II files must
reside on a 3.5" (800K ProDos) disk. Send mail if you need more details.
--
Jeff Ersoff
Math & Computer Sci., Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC 27108

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 12:35:37 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: CD ROM

Can anybody reccomend good CD ROMS? Cheap is one factor. Educational
is another. FUN is big.
Thanks for all replies. I'll summarise should answers be plentiful and desired

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 10:21 EST
From: Joe Feustle <FAX0063@uoft02.utoledo.edu>
Subject: Classic and Imagewriter One

Has anyone experienced any difficulties in getting a Classic to print to
an Imagewriter One, the original Imagewriter? I have a colleague who
purchased a Classic. We can get it to print fine to an Imagewriter II
but not to a older Imagewriter. The Classic goes through all the on-screen
steps indicating that it is indeed printing, but we get no output from
the printer.

I have had no problems making my SE print to either printer, but the
Classic seems to be somehow different (defective?). According to our
Apple representatives on campus, people who are quite knowledgeable about
these things, there should be no problem in getting a Classic to print
with an old Imagewriter. However, such is not the case. My friend's Classic
will NOT.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Joe Feustle
FAX0063@UOFT02.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 14:53 EST
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ulkyvx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Classic lead time update

Apple just told me that the lead time on ANY machine ordered right now is 16
weeks.  That's "any new machine order not in the system yet."  She did say
under questioning that the situation could change (emphatic Yes from her when
asked if it might improve).  I had heard that the new plant at Cork going
online was supposed to knock off the backlog pretty quickly.  I wonder how long
it takes for the units produced overseas to get ot the U.S.?  I assume they go
by ship.  That would be a week or two, I suppose.

The P.O. for my machine left here last Friday.  Assuming it gets entered
promptly, say by 1/23, then it'll be 5/23 before SHIPPING, then another week
after that.  So much for using the Mac this semester.  Oh well, my fiance' will
be happy, she won't become a computer widow until we've been married two
months :-).

Say what you want to Apple-bashers, but any small computer that has a 16 week
lead time is a damned popular box.  Considering that Apple has three plants
working three shifts every day grinding them out, that means literally hundreds
of thousands of these beasts.  God help anyone who's trying to get an LC.

Could we be looking at the installed Mac base doubling?  Tripling?  Maybe
tripling is excessive but I would bet the base doubling in a year is not
unthinkable.  Any thoughts on this?

This many computers being sold in a recession.  I hope Sculley is paying
attention.....

Mike Harpe, N4PLE
University of Louisville

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 09:07:06 CST
From: CB Lih <CBLIH@uafsysb.uark.edu>
Subject: Easy Access

Since there has been a brief discussion of Easy Access in the Digest,
I thought I'd air a gripe (sort of a flame) I have about it.  I work
with students with various degrees of mobility problems.  Easy Access
*is* a real help to some of them.  The problem with this mouse substitute
is that it accelerates.  That is, the longer you hold the keypad key
down, the faster the cursor travels across the screen.  The acceleration
almost makes it useless.  I was dismayed recently to read that an Apple
rep actually thought of this as an advantage.  It is difficult for a
person with no mobility problem to move the cursor across the screen
and stop with any accuracy.  What the user has to do is press and
release, press and release, back and forth until almost by luck the
cursor stops where the user wants it to.  A moderate, steady,
predictable paced cursor would be much easier to use.  The users I
work with often not only have to press one key at a time, they also
have difficulty lifting their finger from the key quickly.
  If Apple feels that some users would like acceleration (although I
see no reason for it; the screen isn't *that* big), it should at least
be an option, not an unwanted 'feature'.  By the way, as a matter of
routine the Control Panel is used to slow down the mouse (tablet) and
the key repeat rate.  This helps a bit but not enough.
  If anyone has another utility or knows of a way to modify Easy Access
with ResEdit, I would very much like to hear about it.

       CB Lih
Macintosh Support / Disabled Student Computer Support
BITNET: CBLIH@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jan 91 11:00:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: Fortran cross-referencer

I am looking for a utility that can look at a bunch of fortran files and scan
them to determine what subroutines are called by each subroutine. Preferably
this would be a fortran program available in source form. I have heard rumors
that such a thing exists (with source) under some unix systems. Does anyone
know anything about this?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 16:31:15 CST
From: leetc%8504.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov
Subject: FORTRAN help

Does anyone use FORTRAN (*cough* *hack* *wheeze*) on this silly thing?
I am seeking help using FORTRAN on the Mac.  I have a Mac IIcx and IIci
running Language Systems FORTRAN 2.0 under MPW 3.0.  I wish
to change the cursor to the crosshair but all attempts have been
unsuccessful (feeble).  Either I get random junk in place of the cursor or
nothing. (No cursor is hard to use).

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions - especially in the form
of example code. (Please dont suggest that I use a real programming
language... At least Im using a real machine)

Sincere Thanks

Thomas C. Lee
McDonnell Douglas Space Systems Company
Internet:leetc%mins2.span%Fedex.Msfc.Nasa.Gov

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 16 Jan 1991 17:08:10 EET
From: JACOB MATTHAN <SO-JAM%finou.oulu.fi@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9

Subject Appleworks to Mac

About three years ago I bought a program called Mac.Transfer
including the suitable cable for transfer of files from
an Apple IIc to a Mac 512. It worked well although by present
standards it would be snails pace. The files from Appleworks
went directly into MacWrite. The company based in California
was called Southeastern Software,7743 Briarwood Drive, New
Orleans, LA 70128, Tel: 504-2468438.

Hope this is useful.
                    Jacob Matthan
                    Chief Engineer, Microelectronics Lab.,
                    University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 14:25:35 CST
From: earas@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu (Robert Stewart)
Subject: Iris <-> Mac summary

Thanks to the people who responded to my request for information about
file transfers and the like between a Mac and a Silicon Graphics IRIS
workstation. Our demo machine is gone now, so I haven't been able to try
much lately. The machine that has been ordered will hopefully arrive
soon, and I will then try to produce a longer document for the
archives concerning what I have learned. I have included below
several responses to my original post.

We did manage to get the Mathematica kernel running on the IRIS with
the front end running on a Mac IIx. Needless to say, the response
was substantially improved. The machines had a direct ethernet
connection.

GSC Associates (2304 Artesia Boulevard, Suite 201, Redondo Beach,
California 90278-3114, (213) 379-2113) sell a program called MetaPICT
for $179 that allows you to translate files in the CGM format into
Macintosh PICT and PICT2 files. I have not yet tried MetaPICT or
PICTure This, another image format translation progam described
below by Mike Morehouse. GSC also sells a program called GraphPorter
for $169 that allows you to write CGM files to disk from within Mac
programs through the use of a chooser-selectable printer driver.

Rob Stewart
stewart@arlvs1.arlut.utexas.edu

***********

>From: name withheld upon request
Subject: Mac/IRIS

        I have done a fair amount of work developing schemes and
software for transferring images between Mac and IRIS.  My wife
(and I) have worked with the Design department at Univ. of Quebec
a 4D/25 and a Mac IIcx.

        We tried out several schemes (PICT, MacPaint, TIFF) between
IRIS-based Alias image format and various Mac-based programs such
as DarkRoom, ImageStudio, etc.  We settled on TIFF because of its
flexibility, standardization, availability of meta-libraries (xtiff)
and its generally high-resolution.  We used Studio 8 on the Mac
because it was the program which ended up in our laps and took color
TIFF images.

        We avoided PICT, PICT2 and MacPaint due to their limitations and
inherently Mac origins.  We wrote a couple of simple translation programs
between TIFF and Alias which could easily be modified to TIFF/IRIS since
the Alias image is so close to IRIS format.  I included a couple of
features derived from mcvert and stuffit which compress any number of
TIFF images into an archive and tag each with the proper "TIFF" file
type (otherwise you have to edit the image with ResEdit and change
the"TEXT" type to "TIFF" by hand).  This is of course reversible.

        I can probably scrape together the source and scripts for
basic facilities but.... you have to get ahold of the xtiff library
(isy.liu.edu) to use it.  Also, it has never been assembled as a
"turnkey" package so it may or may not be a bit of work to put
together.... it has been a while since we installed it.

P.S.  You might consider checking with the mac-sun list where we also
deal with SGI machines (since they are UNIX based).

***********

>From: W: 478-9881 (703), H: 671-0138 <MOOREHOUSE@TECR.NOSC.MIL> (703)
Subject: SG Files

Mr. Stewart,
  I recently read your message concerning the interchange  of SG graphic files
and Macintosh graphic files.  My company developed a product called "PICTure
This" which converts foriegn graphic file formats to the Macintosh PICT and
PICT2 formats.  Currently the product does not support the Iris image file
format however, in preparation for the next version of our product we are
developing new translators...the Iris image file formnat happens to be one of
the formats that we have ready.  Our policy has been to supply these 'beta'
stand-alone translators to our registered users at no-extra-charge.  If you
would like more information on the product please give me a call.

-Mike Morehouse (Product Manager)

***********

>From: shawn@bcmp.med.harvard.edu (Shawn Ramer)
Subject: Iris <-> Mac

We have been transferring graphics images from the iris to
the mac for production on our AGFA slidewriter.  A screen
image on the iris is "captured" using a program called
SnapShot.  This saves an RGB format file which is converted
on the Iris to a TIFF format with a utility called ToTiff.
We then transfer this to the Mac using FTP via a
Localtalk/Ethernet bridge (Gatorbox).  The TIFF file is 32
bit color and therefore can't be read by the 8 bit programs
we use such as Canvas, Digital Darkroom, and Image.
However, the slidemaking software "Conductor" reads the
files fine and shoots beautiful full color pictures.

Both ToTiff and SnapShot were from Silicon Graphics as well
as FromTiff (for TIFF to RGB conversion), but we have not
used that utility.  Silicon Graphics has been most helpful
at supplying the programs and I suggest that you contact
them directly for more information.

Shawn Ramer
shawn@bcmp.med.harvard.edu

***********

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 21:26 EST
From: "Peter D.M. Macdonald" <PDMMAC%SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit and the Clipboard

I am using MacKermit 0.98(62). The clipboard works just fine for copying and
pasting text within the Kermit window, but cannot be used to move text between
Kermit and other programs.  Is this a bug? Or is it a feature? Or am I doing
something wrong? Suggestions would be appreciated!

Peter Macdonald
Mathematics and Statistics
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91  11:59:47 EST
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: LEFTIES

>From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
> Applause, at least the sound of one hand clapping, to Apple for
> making Easy Access and CloseView available. I'm dextrous, but I've often
> wondered why Apple haven't offered a selection option for a left-handed
> arrow pointer. We have one of the five Macs in the School of
> Architecture here configured for lefties (mouse on left), but the
> arrow we ain't got. (I know about Cursor Animator, but some applications
> (Model Shop for instance) don't like it, and you get an annoying flutter
> between the ROM/Finder cursor and the Animated one.)

Let me know if you find out.  It especially bothers me in Word
when I'm trying to use the selection bar.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 21:22 EST
From: Christian Koch <FKOCH%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Marathon 030 Upgrades fro MacII and MacSE

Am interested in upgrading a couple Mac II's and an SE to 68030 processors
using "Marathon 030 Upgrades" as advertised in a current BusinessLand catalog.
Does anyone know of any problems with full compatibility using such upgrades?
Does the BusinessLand price of $525 per upgrade sound right (I haven't noticed
these upgrades advertised elsewhere)?  Might there be 68030 upgrades that are
better and even cheaper?

Many thanks for any help and advice!

Christian Koch
Oberlin College
Computer Science
223 King Bldg.
Oberlin, OH 44074

Internet: fkoch@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
Bitnet: fkoch@oberlin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 09:34:52 EST
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@sbccvm>
Subject: Screen Test Pattern Generator

Fellow Netters,
               Can someone please post Larry Pina's program that generates
test patterns (to test monitors). It was written up in the latest MacUser.
I looked on GEnie and could not find it.
                                        tom prusa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 13:52:24 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: Spelling DA

	Has anyone out there heard of a spelling DA or know where I could
	get one. I know Word has one, but I heard it only works within
	Word. I want to use one at any time...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 17:03:34 CST
From: shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores)
Subject: Sticky Mouse Syndrome

I heard on usenet that it was due to the newer Apple mice using cheaply made m
mouse balls, both lighter and smaller.  Go to your "friendly" Apple dealer and
demand the older, heavier, mouseball.

-- tom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 12:27:33 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: System Tools Disk and Installer Program (Important)

(At least, it seems important to me.)

   When I encounter system problems after a power failure or crash, I
often reinstall my system file using the Installer program on a locked
System Tools disk.  Until now I'd thought this should completely
relace and repair any damage to the system file.

   A Mac expert here at Stanford, who should know about these things,
says that running the Installer to a HD with the old system file still
in place does NOT replace or repair damaged resources.  The Installer
checks that needed system resources are present, and updates them with
the latest version if necessary; but it has no way to check that a
resource might be internally damaged, and it does not replace all
resources, only outdated ones.

   To really repair a damaged system, the drill is apparently to save
DAs and fonts from the old system; start up from the System Tools
disk; trash the old system file; then run the Installer.  Doing this
cured the Excel menus problem I posted about earlier.

   This is second-hand, I'm not an expert, but I think this is the
real skinny on what the Installer does, and doesn't, do.  [It also
strikes me as the WRONG way to do things, but that's another matter.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 14:58:28 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: THINK C

> I need to write an application on the Macintosh... what manuals
> do I need to read before starting?

  That's a loaded question. Well it depends, if you don't need to do
anything fancy I would suggest the Mac C Programming Primer Vol 1&2.
If you need to do anything more then basic windows/menus you will
to get InsideMac V#1 and maybe more. IM V5 if you need any color
support. You might need IM V2-4 depending on what you are going to write.

  Second... What's Think C++? Think C has OOP, but it's not that
simmilar to C++. I wish ThC had C++ support. Think C 5.0 is in the
works, so it's possible C++ support might be also in the works.

Geoffrey Parsons
CS Student
WKU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 14:10:19 -0800
From: Evan James Torrie <torrie@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Think C for students?

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:
>	It might not be realistic for Apple to give out its MPW among
>CS department, but Think C should be able to become as popular
>affordable as Turbo Pascal.  Apple should fight to become a standard
>course in computer science in university education. (The standard
>textbook about computer in CS department usually has one or two
>paragraphs about Mac, then the whole book is on the glory history of
>the evolution of a dinosaur, say, how a PC can eventually do the
>AMAZING things of multitasking, or even WINDOW, GUI stuffs).

>		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

  Huangxin,

  Think C is available to students via a student purchase plan for
$95 or so...  I don't know about your University, but it sounds
like one of the unenlightened ones.
  Both my undergraduate university (in New Zealand) and Stanford
make basically NO mention of the archaic PC.  In New Zealand, one
of our core Computer Science courses consisted of creating a full
windowing/menu-driven/dialog box etc application on the Macintosh
using Think Pascal [the textbook for the course was Inside
Macintosh].
  It surprises me when I see mention of these universities with
large IBM PC labs.  They just don't exist at all where I come from -
Macintoshes are the only things you find.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
 Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 11:09:19 GMT
From: Ellen Cohn <EGC10@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk>
Subject: Three questions and a flame!

[Note - I, EGC10, am only mailing this for someone without international mail
privileges.  Don't yell at me!!!!!]

                <================================>

1.  I'm thinking of connecting an Apple 13" monitor to my SE/30. I have spotted
only two cards that I think will allow me to do that: a product by Nutmeg
Systems and the RasterOps 264. Has anybody any experience with either of these?
How compatible are they? How good is Nutmeg Systems' support (remember, I'm in
the UK)?
2.  I'm also buying a laser printer with Postscript. At the present the
front runner is the Personal LW NT. I use a lot of downloaded fonts and I was
wondering whether a 2MB model behaves the same as an LWII NT, i.e. it leaves a
RAM space of 300k and change. If I do need to upgrade the memory, is it
possible in the Personal LW NT and what speed SIMMs would I need?
3.  The last item in my equipment orgy is a scientific graphing program. Having
wrestled to get Excel 2.2 to plot error bars, I'm deciding right now whether to
buy Deltagraph, Kaleidagraph, Igor or Passage. Any experiences and
recommendations? I don't need highly sophisticated mathematical
transformations, just a good variety of chart styles, a basic set of
statistical tools, the ability to export to Pagemaker and compatability with
Excel. And, of course, error bars.

If there are enough replies I'll summarise replies to items 1 and 3, and submit
it to the net.

OK, the flame ==========================>
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought a copy of Adobe Illustrator88 when I was working in the States. I read
about Illustrator 3.0, had a look at a demo and thought it would be well worth
the upgrade fee. So I phoned Adobe UK and asked them what the fee would be:

                          195 pounds!!!!!! (=US$ 375)

Their excuse is that they have to charge me a component of the price-as-new
which is allocated to support. But 195 pounds???!!! I could buy a new copy in
the US for that price! I know that UK prices are a ripoff, but do they have to
rip you off for upgrade fees as well?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's OK, I'm not hyperventilating anymore.

| Bernard Khoo              E-mail: BCEK1@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk             |
| Sidney Sussex College     Answerphone: +44 223 66657                        |
| Cambridge, UK             to protect my sanity, remember we're on GMT here  |
| CB2 3HU                                                                     |
=========== It's larger on the inside. (for all you PBS junkies)===============

Disclaimer: Nothing really matters except a good vanilla malt.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 20:18:58 GMT
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: Unfreezing Screens

Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

> The SM 0 A9F4 (rtn) G 0 command is documented in one of Apples Tech notes.
> Cannot remember which though!

38

---
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 14:41:00 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Ye 32Bit QuickDraw

> Here's a good one. How can you shut down 32-bit quickdraw on a
> MacIIci?

  You can't. On the IIci, IIfx, IIsi, LC 32Bit QD is in ROM. There is
not way around it. If you have a game that won't work call the company.

Geoff Parsons
CS Student
WKU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 18:44:41 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>

Anybody connected a video camera to the mac? If so all tips most
welcome.  How do you save the video image to disk? What hardware is needed?
Anybody using video tape(sony series 5  Umatic) connected to the
mac?  How does it respond? Will it lend itself to Hypercard
front-ends?
All help most gratefully recieved.

------------------------------

Date: Wed Jan 16 12:18:55 1991
From: Dale Southard <ds4a@dalton.acc.virginia.edu>

To: Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: Info-Mac Digest V9 #9
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest

OK all --

A quick question, I know this has been asked about 100 times, but I have
seen conflicting answers.

Can I safely hook two Macs together using a null-modem cable (I am thinking
of my IW II cable, which should be identical to a null-modem)?  What
about Appletalk (can I do it with the above cable, or do I need the actual
appletalk connectors even though the network has only two nodes)?  I just
need to transfer a few megs of data, but I really don't want to haul
floppies.

Thank you in advance.

-->  -->  Dale (ds4a@virginia.edu)

End of Info-Mac Digest