info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/18/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 17 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 12

Today's Topics:

      [*] A Type 1 Font with recycling symbols
      [*] Cairo Shootout-for Mac II
      [*] Icon Gallery V 1.2.2
      [*] LaserwriterLockout 1.0b6
      [*] Telex 1.0
      ANSI C packages?
      Asante ethernet cds
      Aspects conferencing program
      Communications software
      Emacs Meta-key mapped to option-key ??
      Final consensus on MPW/MacApp/C++
      Hard Drive Installation Question
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #10
      Info on Mac512k upgrades?
      inside mac
      Language of the Mac
      Lefties
      Mac IIsi and System 6.0.7
      MultiDisk(TM) and Lost Passwords
      Postscript NEXT >< MAC
      Startup screen help request
      Sticky Mouse Syndrome--one more trick
      Suggestions for moving a Mac IIsi & 13" monitor
      Turbo Pascal & Hypercard
      Two things...
      Using DEC LN03R laser printer with Macs
      What 386 board for IIcx do you recommend?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 91 08:42:53 EST
From: hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas)
Subject: [*] A Type 1 Font with recycling symbols

Enclosed is a bihex'd stuffit (1.51) archive of a PostScript Type 1
outline font with accompanying bitmaps.  The font consists of several
versions of the international recycling symbol (the one with the three
arrows forming a triangle).  It includes the basic symbol in several
variations as well as special versions for each of the seven classes
of recyclable plastics.

A sample document showing how they look and the key combinations used
is included.

The symbols will not show up in the Font/Da Mover sample window, and are
pretty unreadable in the keycaps DA, so print the sample to see how they
look.

This font was downloaded from America Online.  I have no connection
with or knowledge of its creator.

Josh

[Archived as /info-mac/font/recycle.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 1991 20:06:24 CST
From: walter bismarck duque de estrada <duqu@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: [*] Cairo Shootout-for Mac II

This version of Cairo Shootout works on the MacII family.  The programmer,
Duane Blehm died in an accident, so his mother made all his programs public
domain and unprotected. This version is such.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/cairo-shootout.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jan 91 23:08:00 PST
From: "PAT MALONE" <malone@mrms-simasd.navy.mil>
Subject: [*] Icon Gallery V 1.2.2

 IconGallery-122-cpt.hqx forwarded as one 200K file.

  The collection of colored icons for use with SunDesk and SunDesk Strip
is provided here in ICON GALLERY V 1.2.2. This file, and three brief text
files of info, are in a Compactor Archive, Be careful at unbundle time.
The expanded file(s) occupy 688 K of space. ICON GALLERY is Shareware
produced by the below cited author. I got the file from AOL for re-compacting
and upload to info-mac after reading a request for it in the Digest. If this
is already in the IM archives than chuck this copy.

r/ Pat Malone                 malone@mrms-simasd.navy.mil

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/icon-gallery-122.hqx; 200K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 19:17:02 EST
From: volaski@contra.med.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski)
Subject: [*] LaserwriterLockout 1.0b6

LaserwriterLockout 1.0b6 is a freeware init/cdev combination that lets you
control which LaserWriters appear in the Chooser desk accessory. This
program will be particularly useful to network environments where access to
a particular LaserWriter should be available to only certain nodes on that
network.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/laserwriter-lockout-10b6.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 91 06:42:38 +0300 (MSK)
From: butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su (Vladimir A. Butenko)
Subject: [*] Telex 1.0

Telex is the simplest network message system.  It allows anyone
to send messages to other users attached to an AppleTalk network.
These messages appear on screen without any user actions.
I wrote this funny program while learning AppleTalk interfaces,
and I didn't test it intensively - only on Mac Plus, Mac SE and
MacII - all that I have. I have no internet routers, so I HOPE
that it will work with AppleTalk zones.
Please, email me, if you find any bugs - I'll try to find time
to fix them.
If you are interested in the source code - please, offer me
anything interesting (not money).

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/telex.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 01:08 CST
From: <SC05212%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ANSI C packages?

Hello Netters-

        I'm thinking of buying a C package, but I need to know this-

        Which ones use the ANSI standard? Of those which is the Best?

                                        Thanks

*Sean Chitwood student, South West Texas Disclaimer:"They don't care what I*
* think, neither should you"                                               *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 17:44:22 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: Asante ethernet cds

Where can one get asante ethernet cards. Anybody got prices. we're
looking for the best deal in town Mainly for SE30 & IICX. any other
similarly priced -or less!1 very interesting.
Thanks for any help . will summarise for net if answers forthcoming
thanks again.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 1991 10:45 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: Aspects conferencing program

There is supposedly a program called "Aspects" that's supposed to be one of
the first real-time conferencing programs available for the Mac.  I've heard
that it allows as many as 16 networked Mac users to work together,
simultaneously editing the same text and graphics on screen and viewing the
changes as they occur.  It's supposed to have been beta-tested in a number of
American universities.  I'm interested in hearing comments from these beta
test sites.  Will it work across internetworks? Also, information regarding the
software developer/distributor and pricing would be greatly appreciated.
Please mail comments directly and I'll summarize to the net.
Joy Aberback, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:37:44 EDT
From: "Jonathan M. Lang" <JMLANG@gwuvm.gwu.edu>
Subject: Communications software

       I am interested in hearing if anyone out there has found a good,
inexpensive communications package for the Mac.  We are using Tincan
and Mac Kermit currently and are looking for something that has
better scripting capability than these packages.  The package must
support speeds to 19200 baud and should emulate a vt100 terminal.
Any information would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Jonathan M. Lang
Senior Programmer / Analyst
The George Washington University
Computer Information and Resource Center

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:04:38 -0500
From: "James T. Smith" <jsmith@neptune.ctc.contel.com>
Subject: Emacs Meta-key mapped to option-key ??

I am using MacX with Emacs on a Sun.

The emacs ctrl-key maps to both apple ctrl-keys and to the dn-arrow-key.
The emacs meta-key maps to the apple esc-key and to the up-arrow-key.

How do I map the emacs meta-key to both apple option-keys ????

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 23:24:26 EST
From: Stephane Lacelle <471228%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Final consensus on MPW/MacApp/C++

Last week I posted some interrogations concerning CFront premature ter-
mination while compiling sample programs using MacApp. It seems that
4M of RAM and running under multifinder is simply not enough. At least
3M has to be allowed to MPW itself. I've done that simply by closing
every Inits I had as well as running Finder. The results were not very
good. Only very simple programs got through the CFront and C tools.
So... I think a memory upgrade to 5M (even 8M) is necessary in order
to take advantage of C++ and MacApp.

Many thanks to Atul Butte, Nobukazu Toge and Russell Daroli.

Stephane Lacelle <471228@uottawa.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 14:06:44 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Drive Installation Question

Does anyone know if there are problems associated with this
configuration?

I have an SE, which came with two floppies, and now it has a 40 meg
quantum installed above the top floppy. I.e. I did not remove any of the
floppies. Is this dangerous? It's been this way for quite some time now
with no problems yet, except for some slight jittering on the screen (I
was told that was a result of the voice coil head movement system in the
drive sending magnetic interference into the crt, but that this was not
a problem unless it was bothersome). I was told that the drive could
cause a heat buildup in this configuration, and that the power supply
and other components may not last as long as usual.

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 1991 04:05:06 PST
From: LV.STHQ@xerox.com
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #10

The Graphic Services department at Corporate Headquarters received permission
to have an Ethernet cable run directly into a MACIIci. The main purpose of this
would be to download text files from internal customer's 6085's directly
without use of a DAYNA file which takes an MS-DOS formatted 51/4 floppy  that
has a viewpoint doc which has been converted to ASCII on it. We currently need
documents in ASCII.  If we ask our customers to turn their files into ASCII on
their end, would the MACIIci be able to make the handshake and pull in the
document via a software program such as White Knight? I would prefer not to
have to use a terminal emulation program on the MAC although I doubt there is
one for ViewPoint. Your responses will be dramatically appreciated, my usual
MAC friends are not familiar with ViewPoint many thanks
Lynn VanEick

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 8:47:10 EST
From: Ron MacNeil <tyrone%RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info on Mac512k upgrades?

I recently purchased an old Mac512k at a rock bottom price. What I would like
to do now is upgrade the memory to around 5meg and get a better processor
(68020 and up). An extra plus would be to connect an external monitor (color
prefered). I havent picked it up yet and I don't know if it has a SCSI port
if it doesn't I would need one.
I'm calling on the wisdom of all the netters out there who can help me so
that I may help someone else. So send me or the digest info on acceleretor
and upgrade boards and I will compile all good relevant info.
Thanks in advance,
Ron MacNeil Display Developper for Science North
bitnet: tyrone@RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:44:20 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: inside mac

Is there an update due for "inside MAC". I want to start working in the
toolbox and need to start from basics. I am told that 5 volumes called
Inside the MAC? are the best way in. Think C is the language to use?
also I want to write x to build an interface between the Macs and unix
in an attempt to enhance our ethernet connections with the unix box
I've heard of MacX . anybody reccomend, comment on these?
Thanks for all help.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 1991 13:02:10 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Language of the Mac

Hello netters.

I got a query recently about BASIC in the Macintosh realm. It's been quite some
time since I worked in BASIC (back when there were still line numbers... and no
compilers)... but I was wondering if anyone had any in depth info about
Microsoft's QuickBASIC for the Mac. Namely... how good is the compiler (results
in clean object code??), how well are the Mac's GUI features supported (menus,
windows, buttons, etc.), how well are the new processors supported... and, of
course, will the package run on the later Mac's (cx'es, ci'es, fx'es, elsees,
Classics, si'es... etc. etc. etc.).

Thanks,

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 1991 09:27:55 EST
From: "Keith E Gatling  [315] 443-3285" <RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lefties

Actually, I'm  left handed and find  that I work much  better with the
mouse in  the standard right hand  position. Why? Because it  keeps my
left hand  free for writing.  I mouse much  better with my  right hand
than with my left, and I'm EXTREMELY left handed.

I don't  much understand  what the  need is for  an arrow  cursor that
points the other  way just for lefties...especially  when you consider
the different functions  that left and right pointing  cursors have in
a  program like  Microsoft Word.  I think  that reversing  the cursors
for  lefties would  only  make  using any  other  Mac more  confusing.
Moving the  mouse I can see,  reversing the cursor I  can't...it would
be to me like  reversing the keys on a piano for  a left handed player
(and I do have a left handed guitar).

I believe  that this issue  needs to  be thought over  more carefully.

keg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:47:30 CST
From: "Craig A. Brown" <CB06000@uafsysb.uark.edu>
Subject: Mac IIsi and System 6.0.7

Don DeMaio asked about problems with the Mac IIsi and printing under System
6.0.7.  I've been using an si since November, and have never had any problems
with printing.  I use two printers;  a LaserWriter located in a different
part of the building, and a locally attached ImageWriter LQ (no flack please,
you work with what you have).

I have had an intermittent problem related to the keyboard (or something),
however.  Every once and a while, my keyboard gets locked into something that
looks like a CAPS LOCK condition.  I had once case where Word interpreted each
individual keystroke as keyboard combination shortcuts.  I use NCSA's TN3270
for communication with an IBM host (CMS).  This condition exhibits itself by
putting me into the APL character set, rather than just shifted keys.

I'm able to get out of this condition by repeatedly pressing the shift key.
I've swapped keyboards and cables, but still replicated the problem.  My
motherboard has been replaced (really!), and the problem still crops up.

Have any of you heard about anything like this?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:09:15 CST
From: ramer@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu (Kevin W. Ramer)
Subject: MultiDisk(TM) and Lost Passwords

	I've recently (yesterday) changed a password on an important
	MultiDisk partition (it has my source files) and silly me has
	forgotten it.
	I am wondering if there are those among us that have crossed
	this path and managed to restore order.

	I've looked at the volume partition with SUM and it finds files,
	but by using this method recovery will be limited.

	I'm willing to spend time trying to extract the files (an MPW
	tool or such) if that is what it will take.

	Thanks in advance -- The Boob :-)

Kevin W. Ramer
ramer@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu	(205) 934-6433

Volker Hall G82L	    FAX: (205) 934-6571
UAB Station
Birmingham, AL
35294

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 1991 14:18:56 +0100
From: "B|rre Ludvigsen" <borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no>
Subject: Postscript NEXT >< MAC

Does anyone have any experience with displaying and printing
and optionally print NEXT files made with Framemaker on a MAC
IIfx and make ILLUSTRATOR, FREEHAND or PAGEMAKER documents that
can be printed from and optionally displayed on a NEXT. We must
also be able to exchange the files as mail.

I am sure someone has done this before, but there are no answers
in the "Often asked questions" postings.

Please send answers (in addition to postings you might want to
make) to me by email.

Borre Ludvigsen                borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no
Senior Lecturer                        Borre.Ludvigsen@use.uio.no
Ostfold Regional College                73277.3443@Compuserve.com
Department of Computer Science
Os Alle 9
N-1750 HALDEN, Norway     phone 47 9 18 54 00 / fax 47 9 18 54 85

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 16:18:58 PST
From: "Tim Thompson, JPL Radio/submillimeter Astronomy Group" <THOMPSON@jplrag.jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Startup screen help request

   I would like to create a 256-grey-levels startup screen for my Mac IIci.
The only application I have that specifically creates startup screens is
Superpaint, which, despite it's name, handles B&W only.
   What applications/programs/packages will create a startup screen?
   Can I fiddle with a TIFF or PICT image file in some way (ResEdit?) in order
to turn it into a startup screen?
   What about startup screens in color?

                          Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                          Timothy J. Thompson
                          thompson@jplrag.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 11:37 EST
From: Yeah -- but who inherits the meek? <SGD4589%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sticky Mouse Syndrome--one more trick

Just one more quick-fix for a misbehaving mouse--

The mouse on my SE (not quite a year old) decided at one point it would not
move DOWN except when used at *very* slow speeds.  Vertically, it would simply
oscillate between heights on the screen--horizontal motion was uneffected.
Having recently watched a friend on mine be told by an *authorized* Apple
dealer that a new mouse would cost nearly $100 and there would be a 3-5 week
waiting period, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

First I did all the things mentioned in the previous "sticky mouse" letters,
i.e. checked the rollers and the cavity--they were fine.  Frustrated, I took a
small Phillips screwdriver and opened up the mouse.  It's a very simple
mechanism really, all the more reason to be embittered over $100 replacement
costs.  Anyway--inside, there are two devices called potentiometers attached to
the rollers.  They're in small black casings just beyond mouse-ball cavity.
These devices are theoretically sealed, and use electrical contacts to keep
track of the mouse's motion.  They're the same thing you'll find in volume
knobs on your stereo.

On my mouse (one of the newer ones), there was some obvious gunk hanging from
within the *sealed* vertical potentiometer.  It's not all that difficult to
carefully pop the thing out of the mouse, open the potentiometer casing (which
is designed to snap open and shut) and spray the contacts inside with some
contact cleaner to remove access garbage.  Contact cleaner should be available
in most electronics stores, although I suppose isopropal alcohol would do about
as well.  Just snap the potentiometer back together, put it back in place (make
sure to get the little spring-loaded wheel back in there too), and put the
screws back.  Might solve some problems.  Mine has been working like a dream
ever since, and this was three or four months ago.  The procedure really isn't
beyond anyone who's done a bit of soddering (or assembled any Christmas toys
recently!), and it might save some $100 mouse replacement costs.

I imagine Apple service centers are just as capable of doing this as anyone
else (in addition to being *authorized*), but a quick check of the service
available here revealed they'd not have opened the potentiometers, thus
not solved my particular problem.  I don't know if opening your mouse violates
any warrantees.

Geoff Duncan                             sgd4589@oberlin <bitnet>
Oberlin College                          sgd4589@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
Disclaimer: Do you believe everything YOU say?.          <internet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:28:45 GMT
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Suggestions for moving a Mac IIsi & 13" monitor

I just sold my SE/30 and bought a IIsi.  I really miss the portability of the
SE/30.  I still find it necessary to move my computer from time to time (about
once a month) and was wondering if there was anything like the Targus nylon
SE case for any Mac IIs.  The IIsi CPU is really light and can be move fairly
easily.  My big problem is the bulky 13" color monitor.  It is quite heavy and
has no real "handles" on it.  If anyone has any suggestions that would make
these trips easier I would like to hear from you.

Won't it be nice if Apple comes out with a portable with 030/040 power?
Wouldn't it be nice if it had color or else a nice big screen?

Bruce Abernethy
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:17 EST
From: George Nassas <GEORGE%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Turbo Pascal & Hypercard

Hello all,

I have a few quick and dirty XCMDs that I'd like to write but the only compiler
I have available to me is an old copy of Borland's Turbo Pascal.  This is ok
with me but my problem is that I have no way to glue my routines to Hypercard.
I know that the Info-Mac archives used to contain a library of routines that
helped Turbo generate XCMDs but I guess it was purged as can no longer find it.

Is there anyone out there on the net who has this file (I believe it was called
"turbo-xmd.hqx" or something like that) or knows where I can still find it?

- George

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 21:30 EST
From: ENGLISH@northeastern.edu
Subject: Two things...

Netfolk,

	Two things, slighty related too.  Does anyone out there dislike the
dialog boxes for printing.  Do you dislike the way that its represented,
graphically ?  Especially in PageMaker ?  or like applications ?  You know
what I would love to see, is a program/init/cdev/rdev that does what
norton utilities does when it is running an application.  It tells you
HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE !  I would love this in my system.  The same function
also appears in On Location, when it is cataloging your disk.  It also has
an elapsed time monitor.  Surely the masterminds of programing could whip
such a program, but alas I haven't programed in eons, so I couldn't do it
for myself, but I could design its interface, if need be.  Anyone wanna give
it a whirl ?

	System 7.0  The mere flash of those words on your screen make you
cringe with fear, trepidation,...naseau !  Aren't we all just a little
tired of hearing when it'll be released ?  What it'll contain ?  Haven't
we all heard what it can't do, why it won't do it, and by now 3 million of
you are devising a way to add on to sys 7.0 to make it do what you want it
to do.

	Well here's more ad-naseaum.  I just got a look see for myself at
the FINAL version of 7.0 (yeah, right, sure...that's what they said 2 years
ago), and here is the report card from the average users standpoint.

As far as interface goes...it looks and feels much like a NeXt.  There the
similiarities end.  For shear processing power you'd be better off going out
and buying a NeXt machine (I'm loyal to the core about Jobs).  It has great
little icons, much more detail that what we're used to.  It can do some neat
tricks, like the bit about dropping a DA/INIT into their respective folders and
viola! DA/INIT.  But we've know about that for ages.  The thing I found rather
impressive was the fact that apple has divided up its control panel documents
so that each can be individually controled, and set to stay that way by
removing the file in question.  Neat.  Another little fascinating trick was
the icons, the desktop, the windows all appear to have been custom designed
by the user.  It's almost as though, per chance, someone at apple were
actually listen to their product users, and watching what people were doing
with Layout 1.7, or Personality, or Kolor, or SunDesk...or any of the myriad
of software packages propriatary or not, that change the look and feel of the
machine.  But again, we've known about this...for AGES.

So what else can it do.  Not a whole lot.  I was reading in MacWorld that with
7.0 you have to 'publish' and something else that I forget now, in order to
move a graphic, or document from place to place.  I saw no evidence of such
a device, or software presence.

As to shear memory power, I know the company that produces 'Virtual' will
be very happy to know that apple has matched them at their own innovation.
Nice steal.

Lastly, the thing that I found most interesting, if not confusing was how
the sys file was set up.  Several different folders holding several different
things for several different purposes.  Strange.  For instance all the control
panel documents, were in their own folder, the inits/da...their own folder.
Strange.  All in all, I've said nothing here about what it does for printing.
Or what it does to applications.  I have all the latest software and you'll
be happy to know that every major piece of software RUNS like a charm, with
no malfuntions.  So not to worry.  I've said nothing about 7.0 that we already
didn't know.  For all its touted power, I'll wait to see what the developers
do with this tool.  That's when the real game begins.  If your looking for
flash, 7.0 has got alot of that.  If your looking for substance, look to your
nearest developer.  I know I will.

RW. English

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 13:26 -0300
From: Daniel Schwabe <PUCRJDI%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using DEC LN03R laser printer with Macs

I'm trying to use the LN03R laser printer with an SE/30. I've
managed to "use" it by sendig postcript files (together with the
LaserPrep Dictionary) via a terminal emulator (RedRyder).
I haven't been able to download any fonts; I would also like to
know if there is a way to simply "redirect" the LaserWriter driver
>From the AppleTalk port to the serial port. I should say I haven't
been able to download Postcript fonts (e.g. Palatino); bitmapped
fonts work fine.
Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Daniel Schwabe, Computer Science Dept., Catholic Univ., Rio de Janeiro

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 09:08 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: What 386 board for IIcx do you recommend?

Greetings,

The subject pretty much sums it up.

I'd like to replace my aging Zenith 159 with a 386 machine, and I'd like it to
live inside my IIcx. Will this save me money, as well as desk space?

I'll post a summary (I promise) of answers.

Thanks,

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist, VAX consultant
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-7742
AppleLink - U0523

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:09:49 CST
From: briel@sctc.com (Marc Briel )

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest
Subject: Re: Mac-X question
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 16:09:39 GMT

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>What is protocol used by MacX to run remote commands?
>First investigations imply that it isn't rsh, because .cshrc file isn't
>read in (could be mistaken here...)

>David Burgess ===== Astronomy Unit, QMW, University of London +44 71 975 5460
>(JANET: dhb@uk.ac.qmw.maths NFSNET: dhb%maths.qmw.uk.ac@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk)
>(SPAN: RLESIS::VMSFE::DHB (RLESIS=19527 if not known)                     )

I would like to know this as well. Sometimes the remote command
facility doesn't work for a period of time and then mysteriously
resolves itself. When it doesn't work, there is no obvious evidence of
any rejected login attempts on our sun server. If I knew the protocol used for remote commands, I might be able to trace the problem.

					Marc Briel

					briel@sctc.com

------------------------------

Date: 17-JAN-1991 09:32:13 EST
From: SADLER@adelphi-hdlsig1.army.mil

Hi,

Does anybody have C routines for reading/writing GIF files?

thanks!
brian sadler

Harry Diamond Labs
Adelphi, MD 20783