info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 18 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 13

Today's Topics:

      [*] FileList 1.4 Source Code
      [*] font-to-nfnt-10b2.hqx
      [*] Icon Colorizer 1.5
      A Mouse in Every Pot
      Around memory upgrade
      Bus Error
      Computer Algebra System from Fort Pond Research
      File I/O using think C and File Manager.
      Hard/Floppy disk recovery.
      Lefties
      MacAPP C++ question
      Mac QuickBASIC
      MIDI interface schematic wanted ...
      More on Lefties
      Programming Instruction
      Questions concerning networking MacIIsi
      SOURCE CODE SOURCES

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 91 9:31:52 EST
From: Steve Wall (SFAE-AR-HIP-SY) <smwall@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] FileList 1.4 Source Code

Here is the source code for FileList 1.4, as downloaded from
CompuServe.  Source code is in Think C vs 4.02, and the file
includes compilation instructions "Read Me", program documentation
and a Think "Project" and ".rsrc" file.  Formatted as a
self-extracting archive.

Steve Wall
smwall@pica.army.mil

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/file-list-14.hqx; 94K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 02:41:10 -0600
From: "Erik A. Johnson" <johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] font-to-nfnt-10b2.hqx

FONT->NFNT is a Freeware utility designed to convert FONT resources in a file
to NFNT resources with the identical resource ID and name, deleting the
original FONT resources.  It can also do the more general conversion from
any one type of resource to another type.

Included in this archive is:
  1.  This "FONT->NFNT Readme" document you are reading.
  2.  FONT->NFNT application.
  3.  A "FONT->NFNT f" folder containing the source code
      (THINK C project and source code, and the code resource file).
  4.  A text document describing some of the in's and out's of FONDs,
      FONTs, and NFNTs.

I give no guarantees, explicit or implied, on the function of this utility,
and take no liability for any damage to hardware or software.

Erik A. Johnson

[Archived as /info-mac/util/font-to-nfnt-10b2.hqx; 84K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 91 16:58:19 EST
From: Dennis Chesters <chesters@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: [*] Icon Colorizer 1.5

This is a copy of Robert Munafo's Icon Colorizer 1.5,
loaded with 90 additional custom color icons for
popular applications (icluding icons for the associated documents,
dictionaries, help files, etc.).
The INIT is capable of re-sizing itself to accomodate
additional entries.  There are entries for:
Mac OS documents, Macdraw, MacDrawII, MacPaint, Macwrite,
Versaterm, Freehand, NCSA Telnet, tn3270, NCSA Image,
NCSA DataScope, NCSA Layout, NCSA Paledit, NIH Image,
Hypercard, Cricketgraph, Edit, QUED, Resedit, WORD 4,
Stuffit, EXCEL 2, Disinfectant, Gatekeeper, Vaccine,
Vantage, Kaleidagraph, and the Spyglass suite
[View, Transform, Dicer and Format].
The extensive installation and cross-referencing
of ICONs with their corresponding cicns has been worked out
in this well-packed version, relieving the user of a lot
of tedious work with ResEdit.
To reduce the size of the INIT (approx. 300k),
the user can remove unwanted ICON-cicn pairs using ResEdit
to simply cut them out.
This INIT runs well on all Mac-IIs running Mac OS 5 or 6
and a variety of 3rd party color video cards and other INITs.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/icon-colorizer-15.hqx; 148K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 07:30:41 CST
From: treble%ascvms@ascct6.sinet.slb.com
Subject: A Mouse in Every Pot

>From:	NAME: TREBLE <TREBLE@ASCVMS@MRGATE@ASCCT6>
To:	"info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu"@M_INTERNET@MRGATE@ASCCT6

A recent Info-Mac reader posted a message about his success at cleaning the
"pots" in his mouse.  I would like to split a few hairs on his description of
the "pots".  In just about every mechanical mouse I've seen, from Apple to
Digital, the mouse ball drives two rollers that are connected to optical
sensors.  In the crudest of them, the roller drives a small perforated wheel
that is positioned between a light source (usually an LED) and a light sensor.
The resulting signal from the light sensor is a "train" of pulses that
represent wheel movement.  In a sealed unit, such as an optical wheel encoder,
the outputs are slightly more complex.  Usually there are two light
emitter/sensor combinations on each wheel, that together produce a quadrature
pulse train, with each sensor pulse being 90 degrees out of phase with the
other.  The quadrature pulse trains allows the microcontroller to not only
sense wheel movement, but also determine the direction of travel.  This is the
most common implementation of mechanical mice.

So, (whew, I'm almost done) the Mac's mouse doesn't use an analog
potentiometer, as the reader mistakenly claimed, but uses an optical wheel
encoder scheme.  He probably had something blocking either the light source,
or the light sensor.  Cleaning the assembly would most definitely work.
** End of sermon. **

John Treble			Schlumberger - Austin System Center
Internet:			Treble@asc.slb.com
Voice:				(512)331-3335
SnailMail:			P.O. Box 200015
				Austin, TX 78720-0015

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 91 10:58 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Around memory upgrade

	I read some questions about memory upgrades and SIMMs speed.

	The speed of a memory chip is the time needed by the chip to put the
required data in the bus in order to be gotten by the CPU at the next clock
cycle. It don't matter if the memory is faster, because the data remain
unchanged in the data bus (It's a LATCH) until the next request.

	I upgrade myself a Plus with 80ns SIMMs one year ago, and they are
working fine. I use 80ns SIMMs because I have the idea to use them for a MacII
in the future, but they work like 120ns ones.

	Upgrade a Mac memory is easy (MacII easier), but you must care with
the others electronic components when you open the Mac and when you plug in
the SIMMs.

        *
______ * * __________            "HUMAN IS AN ERROR"- Act III
_____ *   * ___________
____ * *   * _____________            Jose M. CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
___ *   *   * ______________             Departamento de Ingenieria Mecanica
__ *     *   * _________________             Universidad de Zaragoza (SPAIN)
  *************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 19:00 EST
From: NEUBURG@swat.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Bus Error

A number of people have mentioned getting the "Bus Error" on system crash.
I've just gotten my new LC (up and running about 2 weeks now) and "Bus Error"
is the MAIN error message shown on crashes. The second most popular
error message is "Illegal (?) trap"; and occasionally I get a "CoProcessor
not installed" message. (I do not use any software that requires a coprocessor).

The crashes in question seem mostly to have to do with INIT conflicts, though
I wouldn't want to swear to that in a court of law. If we get an LC or
Bus Error topic going, I may be encouraged to note the details more closely.

matt neuburg = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

p.s. this is my first info-mac posting (like, who cares?)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 19:28:40 EST
From: jim@fpr.com (James E. O'Dell)
Subject: Computer Algebra System from Fort Pond Research

We are pleased to announce the availability of ALJABR 1.0.  ALJABR is
derived from the M.I.T. Project MAC's Symbolic Manipulation System.
ALJABR is used for performing symbolic as well as numerical
mathematical manipulations.  With ALJABR the user can differentiate,
integrate, take limits, solve systems of linear or polynomial equations,
factor polynomials, expand functions in Laurent or Taylor series, solve
differential equations (using direct or transform methods), compute
Poisson series, plot curves, and manipulate matrices and tensors.
ALJABR also has an ALGOL-like  language permitting the user to extend
ALJABR with his own programs for transforming symbolic expressions.
For more info contact aljabr@fpr.com.
========

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 10:56:57 GMT
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: File I/O using think C and File Manager.

Does anyone out there have some routines that use the high level file manager
routines FSOpen FSWrite etc, to write text to a file in the same way that
you can do with the C-library routines fprintf.
I want to write straight test to a file and just need some equivalent of the
c I/O that i can mimic using the file manager.
I have tried using the values returned by SFPutFile to construct a filename
and open that from c using fopen but have had no luck in then writing to the
 file.
Any one out there have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
*<   Peter J Hardman.               Network Manager.       >*
*>   Phone (UK)061-275-4640       Chemistry Department.    <*
*<   Fax   (UK)061-275-4958      Manchester University.    >*
*>   EMail hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa  Oxford Rd. Manchester M13 9PL <*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 07:04:56 GMT
From: caputo@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Chris Caputo)
Subject: Hard/Floppy disk recovery.

After trying to recover a partially formatted floppy using Norton Utilities for
the Mac and SUM II, I have decided I need outside help.  Does anybody have the
names/phone numbers of any of the commercial data recovery services?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Caputo
caputo@vttcf.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 91 18:04:27 GMT
From: bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral)
Subject: Lefties

> Actually, I'm  left handed and find  that I work much  better with the
> mouse in  the standard right hand  position. Why? Because it  keeps my
> left hand  free for writing.  I mouse much  better with my  right hand
> than with my left, and I'm EXTREMELY left handed.

I'm left handed, too, and I agree with Keith.  On odd occasions I consider
left mousing, but it feels strange, so I've never stuck with it.  My
daughter is a leftie as well and has never raised the issue; I gather
it has never concerned her.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 08:32:48 -0800
From: CEBESS%KOESS.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com       (Charles Bess (317)240-5518)
Subject: MacAPP C++ question

I have been working through the pascal version of the MacApp tutorial and
translating it to C++ (at the same time). I have a questions. What are
static links in the following example:

static pascal void InvalidateView(TView *aView,void *DoToView_StaticLink)
{
	aView->ForceRedraw();
}

pascal void TIconDocument::RedrawViews(void)
{
	ForAllViewsDo(InvalidateView,?????????);
}

pascal void TIconDocument::InvertIcon(void)
{
	fIconBitMap->Invert(); 		// Invert the bits in the Icon
	RedrawViews();
}

This is how I thought it would look. In Pascal these static links are not
present. Thanks for any help.

Charles E. Bess                 Internet: CEBESS@koess.gm.hac.com
Electronic Data Systems         Dial-8  : 8-360-5518
Suite 100C                      AT&T    : (317) 240-5518
2601 Fortune Circle East,       FAX     : (317) 240-5622
Indianapolis, IN 46241-5513     CPS     : 72437,3132
                                America OnLine : CEBess

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 91 12:13:51
From: Robert.H.Gross@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Mac QuickBASIC

Carl A. Steinhilber writes:

I got a query recently about BASIC in the Macintosh realm. It's been quite
some
time since I worked in BASIC (back when there were still line numbers... and
no
compilers)... but I was wondering if anyone had any in depth info about
Microsoft's QuickBASIC for the Mac. Namely... how good is the compiler
(results
in clean object code??), how well are the Mac's GUI features supported (menus,
windows, buttons, etc.), how well are the new processors supported... and, of
course, will the package run on the later Mac's (cx'es, ci'es, fx'es, elsees,
Classics, si'es... etc. etc. etc.).
----------------

   Carl Steinhilber recently asked about QuickBASIC on the Mac. I have been
using it and its predecessors since it was first released in 1984 and have
written both simple and complex programs using it. I am a biologist, not a
professional programmer, but often have a need to write quick routines to do
things, mostly data manipulating and parsing. I have also written commercial
applications using QuickBASIC (DNA Inspector series).  In general, I have been
extremely pleased with the programming environment and the code it generates.
In most cases, the speed of the compiled applications generated are comparable
to that generated by Think Pascal.
   There are no longer line numbers, and modular programming is available
through the use of subroutines and subprograms that allow you to use local and
global variables.  It is simple to call external pure code routines written in
other languages from within the QuickBASIC, and different program modules can
be called by name (not line number).  This allows you to create very modular
code - routines can be cut and pasted as needed.  One can also use $INCLUDE
routines to simply "link" existing code saved as disk files into programs.
Debugging is great because the programs can be written and run through the QB
Interpreter (simple select RUN) and stepped through one step at a time whiel
following variables.  Once you are satisfied, just select Compile from the
menu and you will end up with a compiled application that will be from 20-50x
faster in my experience than the interpreted execution.
   All toolbox routine can be accessed easily so that you can utilize
essentially anything the Mac can do.  One can setup a main event loop that
senses user actions such as mouse events, keyboard events, elapsed time, etc.
Creation of windows requires a single line of code (window coordinates, window
type, window name, widow ID#) - there is no need to deal with graphports, etc.
Creation of Menus, likewise, requires a single line [menuName, MenuItem name,
MenuState (checked, active, inactive), and command key equivalent].  The same
is true of buttons (coordinates, button type and state).
   What is really great about the programming environment is that I have been
able to create professional applications without having to learn Inside Mac.
As a biologist, I did not want to spend my time learning IM just to write
programs for the Mac.  QuickBASIC has enable me to write very sophisticated
code rapidly and easily.  The finished applications are indistinguishable from
applications created with other languages.  In addition, the string handlin
capabilites of BASIC are better than any other language that I am aware of,
and because I deal extensively with strings (DNA sequences) this is important
to me.
   I can recommend QuickBASIC very highly.  It is an easy to use language that
has a built in comapatible Interpreter and Compiler, has a very good developer
environment (although missing some features, such as the ability to have more
than one program open at the same time), has complete access to the Toolbox,
runs on all current Macs using Systems up through System 6.0.7, and has easy
use of standard Mac features such as Windows, Menus, Dialog boxes, Buttons,
File I/O, and event loops.  There is very little that it lacking. I am
surprised that this language has not gotten more (positive) recognition in the
Mac community than it has.  I is not quite as flexible or capable as Pascal,
but it does not require the programmer to learn IM in order to write code.
This is of major importance to folks that might be called "casual" programmers
who do not have the time or desire to learn IM.
                                      - Bob Gross

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 91 06:29:05 GMT
From: sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au (Sam Tan)
Subject: MIDI interface schematic wanted ...

mperry@sydvm1.iinus1.ibm.com writes:

>Greetings,
>I've had a look at MIDI interfaces around the place and have come to the
>conclusion that (in Oz anyway) they are pretty over-priced for what they are.

>Does anyone out there have a schematic for a Mac MIDI interface? Surely
>there can't be too much inside that little plastic box. I'm just looking
>for 1 in and 2 outs ... Thanks in anticipation ...

I have a schematic of a MIDI interface that I built. It uses an RS232 DB9
port, but should be modifiable for a DB25. If you can give me a fax number,
I'll fax the details to you.

Interestingly, this interface came from a Macintosh magazine, (MacTutor).

Enjoy!

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 12:32:51 -0500
From: edkemp@colby.edu (Eric D. Kemp '94)
Subject: More on Lefties

	If anyone is looking to reverse the cusor so it faces to the upper right
instead of to the upper left they might consider using Cursor Animator.
For some reason, Cursor Animator also reverses the direction that the arrow
points.  Apparently, this is a an advantage to those who are left-handed,
although I, as a left-hander who uses the mouse with my right hand, can't see
the advantage.

edkemp@host4.COLBY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 18 January 1991 08:50:24 CST
From: U49852%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Programming Instruction

I have been programming the Mac for a couple of years and I feel that I
need a boost to keep me going.  I am interested in comment on training.
Any one have any experience with Apple Developer University, Bear River,
Software Inovations, or others?  Any help will be apppreciated.  Gary

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:53:02 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Questions concerning networking MacIIsi

I will quickly summarize the networking issues you asked about in your
post to Info-Mac V9#9:

> What is TCP/IP, UUCP, AppleLink, Ethernet, and Internet, and what is
> the difference between them. I understand a little bit about Internet
> because the office where I am working has connection with Internet
> . Please understand that I am very new on this arena, so step-by-step
> approach will be the best.
> As that necessary if I buy an Ethernet card for my IIsi at home?

The only way to understand networking is to think in terms of
"layers". The standard model is the International Standards
Organization 7-layer model, but I will use a four-layer model
(experts will please forgive simplification):
   hardware
      The means by which electric impulses are passed from computer
      to computer
   protocol
      The rules concerning interpretation of impulses (e.g.,
      format of messages, addressing, etc.)
   connectivity
      what machines can be reached on a given network
   application
      what work you are attempting to accomplish (remote login, mail,
      news, printing, etc.)

HARDWARE

In the Macintosh world, there are three main hardware methods used
for networking.

(1) LocalTalk is Apple's own hardware scheme, built in to every Mac
(also called the "Built-In" network in some Apple docs). It is a
relatively low-speed local area network (LAN) using Apple cable.
(There is a version from Farallon which uses ordinary phone-type
twisted-pair cable). LocalTalk is a short-range technology (that's
why it's called Local).

(2) Ethernet is a higher-speed LAN technology (about 40 times faster
nominally, maybe 5-10 times faster in practice). There are three
types of cable -- "Thick", "Thin", and twisted-pair. You can't mix
cable types in a single network without adaptors. You will need to
buy an Ethernet adaptor for all current Macs (though Apple will
someday include Ethernet on Macs just as they now include
LocalTalk). Ethernet is also a short-range technology, but many
Ethernet setups include gateways to other, longer-range networks.
Typically, these gateways are "transparent" -- of no concern to
ordinary users.

Unless your institution is willing to string Ethernet cable to your
home, an Ethernet card in your IIsi at home would be useless. Use
dial-up to get to an Internet host.

(3) Dial-up is a networking technology which relies on regular phone
lines (the "switched network", so-called since the actual circuit
used depends on the phone company's needs/whims). Typically, a
"modem" electronic black box is needed by both the sending and the
receiving machine. Also typically (but not universally), dial-up
mimics a host-terminal connection, not a peer-to-peer connection.
Dial-up is much slower than either LocalTalk or Ethernet.

PROTOCOLS

The main ones in use in the Mac world include AppleTalk and TCP/IP.

(1) AppleTalk is built-in to every Mac, and nothing special needs to
be done to use it with LocalTalk -- that's the original LAN design
for Macs. To use AppleTalk with Ethernet, you will need the
EtherTalk software from Apple (I think it's free from dealers, etc.,
but I'm not sure).

(2) TCP/IP is a multi-vendor protocol first used on the Defense
Department's Arpanet. Now it is in general use on the "Internet"
(see below) and in many other networking contexts. It is almost
always available on Unix systems, and is coming to be available for
just about every mainframe and minicomputer. Using TCP/IP presumes
some sort of access to Ethernet.

UUCP stands for Unix-to-Unix CoPy. It is the basis of the "uunet",
which links (primarily) Unix systems via dial-up, leased phone
lines, and other communications methods. It is not likely to be a
real option for Macs (it's pretty messy to set up even for Unix
systems).

CONNECTIVITY

The Internet is a "supernetwork" of higher education, research,
commercial, andmilitary networks. The Internet uses the TCP/IP
protocols. From a Mac, you can acces the internet three ways:

(1) Use dial-up or TCP/IP to connect to an Internet host computer
(mainframe or mini) as a terminal -- then use that host's commands
for network activity.

(2) Connect your Mac with Ethernet to a net which is part of the
Internet. Then your Mac becomes an Internet host, and you can run
Mac versions of the Internet applications (e.g., telnet).

(3) Connect your Mac via LocalTalk to a "bridge" which connects a
LocalTalk network to an Internet-connected Ethernet. Then your Mac
acts like an Internet host, with the bridge converting from
LocalTalk to Ethernet.

AppleLink is Apple's corporate network. There is an Internet address
for a bridge to that network (applelink.apple.com). You can e-mail
to applelink_name@applelink.apple.com to contact Apple people.

APPLICATIONS

Here's the nitty-gritty: networking is valuable only because of the
work you can accomplish by using the net(s).

(1) Printing: This is the original LocalTalk-AppleTalk application,
permitting many Macs to share LaserWriters. If this is all you need,
then LocalTalk-AppleTalk is your best (and cheapest!) bet. If you
anticipate lots of traffic (e.g., many Macs and several LW's sharing
one net) then you may want to consider Ethernet-EtherTalk as an
alternative, though you will need Ethernet adaptors for each Mac and
for each LaserWriter (and the latter are expensive). If you want
your Macs to access mainframe- or mini-based printers, the issue
gets more complicated, but it can be done with adaptors or bridges
and appropriate software.

(2) File-sharing: If you want your Macs to share a set of files, you
can use LocalTalk-AppleTalk to connect the Macs to an AppleShare
server (a dedicated Mac running Apple's AppleShare software), where
the set of shared files will reside. If you prefer, you can put the
shared files on a mini- or mainframe, but the software and
networking issues become more complex. Either of these is a
centralized approach, which means administrative control (and
headaches). If you prefer a loose, distributed file server approach,
with each Mac on the net "publishing" some of its files for use by
others, you can use TOPS or uShare (I think that's the name)
software over LocalTalk or Ethernet. In this case, you trade
centralized headaches for distributed headaches.

(3) Electronic Mail: THere are many varieties of solutions for
e-mail, depending on what networks you expect to mail into and how
you are connected. Most Mac solutions are either LAN solutions
(Microsoft Mail) which don't handle internet mail, or mail server
solutions where the Mac simply access a mailbox on another machine.
This is a complex and especially fast-moving area right now.

(4) remote log-in: Until recently, the most wide-spread method for
logging in to remote computers (e.g., supercomputers) was "dial-up"
terminal emulation. This is still the most-used method for logging
in to bulletin board systems (BBS's). However, a much faster (and
cheaper) method for many people in higher education is to use the
Internet and an application called "telnet". This presumes that you
are able to hook your Mac up as an Internet host, as above. If you
intend to log in to an IBM mainframe, you will need "tn3270", a
version of telnet which is specialized for IBMish communication.
Both telnet and tn3270 are in the public domain and are available
>From various sources. Telnet originates at University of Illinois,
while tn3270 comes from Brown University.

(5) Remote file transfer: Most Internet hosts support the "ftp"
file-transfer protocol. ftp is included in both telnet and tn3270
for the Mac.

This is a quick and dirty summary of a large and complex field. I
suggest you find recent issues of MacWorld and MacUser which have
good summaries of networking technology issues (including nifty
diagrams). Try your local library.

Good luck!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991 10:49:03 EST
From: tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu (Tim Cera)
Subject: SOURCE CODE SOURCES

Netters,
I noticed that alot of people were looking for source code, tech notes,
etc.  I found two archives which might help.  First is apple.apple.com
(130.42.2.2) in the pub/dts/ directory.  Has complete set of tech notes
on Apple II and Mac, plus source code.  The other archive is where I
found the above address - rascal.ics.utexas.edu (128.83.138.20).
Directories are rather confusing on rascal so you will have to explore.

Another interesting net address is the archie database.  TELNET to
quiche.cs.mcgill.ca BUT do not login as anonymous, instead login
by typing archie.  Say you wanted then to find out who had Public Folder,
type at the prompt prog Public.  The database will then cough up all
of the sites with files that have Public (case sensitive) in their names.
It gives site address and directory.  You can ask for all of the
files at one site by typing site "sitename" (watch out you may be
there for awhile for this).  The argument to the prog command is a
regular expression so advanced searchs can be made by the one or two
people who understand regular expressions, otherwise I just try to keep
the search string as long as possible without cancelling any potential
files out of the search.  It also has some help - I think ? or by typing
help.

And finally a question to the moderators.  This was mentioned in one
of the digests in an off-hand manner, but I was wondering the same thing.
How many people access the archive by the mail facility (% of total
requests)?  It would be nice to not have to unbinhex files, but
binhex files are required if you send files by e-mail.  Maybe I am
being a FTP only nut and I should get off of my high horse.  This would
also allow more room on the archive (binhexing a file SHOULD - in the
best of all possible worlds - only increase the file size by approximately
1/8, BUT I have seen storage savings of using compressed files dissappear
after the file has been binhexed).  Any comments?  Is e-mail access
decreasing?

For those who only have access to e-mail type transfers do not interpret
the above as a crusade.  I am happy with things as they are, but I was
just wondering.

Tim Cera
tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu
Department of Neuroscience
University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. 32607
(904) 392-2777

[E-mail access serves quite a few people, both on Bitnet and on other sites
 that don't have direct FTP access. I don't think we can discontinue it
 very soon. If you use a utility such as mcvert to debinhex the file before
 downloading it to the Mac, you can reduce the file size back again. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 10:16:13 EST
From: CUHAZARI%ECUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

Is there a utility which automatically closes all open windows on the
desktop when one selects "Shut Down" from the "Special" menu.

This would be useful in a lab setting where a new user is confronted with
many open windows when the Mac is turned on.

Sunil Hazari
Assistant Professor         ---------------------------------
East Carolina University    |     BITNET: CUHAZARI@ECUVM1  |
Greenville, NC 27858        |     Phone : (919) 757-6968   |

End of Info-Mac Digest