info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/23/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 22 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 17

Today's Topics:

      [*] _Launch qc b1
      [*] CptExpand 1.00
      [*] SitExpand 1.01
      Address for ALJABR 1.0
      Automatic Network Backups
      bus error
      cicn <-> icl8?
      Cursive Font
      FORTRAN help
      Greek Macintosh O.S.
      Hebrew Word Processor
      Inline functions in Think C
      Labview
      MicroPhone II vs. White Knight
      Modifying Icon Colorizer
      monitors for lc
      Networks & Games
      Programming, OOPs, and THINK Pascal
      Startup screen help request
      System 7.0 beta available??
      Thank you, Symantec!
      Those weasels at Intuit!
      Unfreezing a screen
      Why INITs clear the screen...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 15:41:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "Michael A. Libes" <ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] _Launch qc b1

COLOR-COLOR-COLOR-COLOR-COLOR-COLOR-COLOR-COLOR

_Launch qc b1 is a Finder enhancer similar in functionality to PowerStation
or OnCue.  _Launch provides an "icon dock" in which you can install
applications, DA's, and files.

_Launch qc b1 is the newest version (replaces v3.0), it is 2-10x faster
than the previous version and now supports icl4 and icl8 color icons.

_Launch is still a Shareware product, but it is cheap, $10.  The address
for payment and comments is in the documentation provided.

    - Lunarmobiscuit
      ml10@andrew

[Archived as /info-mac/util/launch-qc-b1.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 11:52:42 EST
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: [*] CptExpand 1.00

CptExpand 1.00 is a freeware utility to decompress Compactor archives.  It is
written by Bill Goodman, the author of Compactor.  It has the same creator type
as Compactor, which allows it to automatically open when such an archive is
double-clicked (but it should then only be used if you *don't* have Compactor,
which is a shareware product).

This program is small enough to run in 512K of memory, but if you don't have
the Hierarchical File System (HFS), you will need to install the HD20 INIT in
your System folder.  This can usually be obtained from Macintosh user groups or
>From on-line services such as Compuserve.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/cpt-expand.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 11:52:52 EST
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: [*] SitExpand 1.01

SitExpand 1.01 is a freeware utility to decompress StuffIt 1.5.1 archives
(those with file type SIT! -- it doesn't work with the SITD files produced by
StuffIt Deluxe and StuffIt Classic).  It is written by Bill Goodman, the author
of Compactor.  It has the same creator type as StuffIt, which allows it to
automatically open when such an archive is double-clicked (but it should then
only be used if you *don't* have StuffIt, which is a shareware product).

This program is small enough to run in 512K of memory, but if you don't have
the Hierarchical File System (HFS), you will need to install the HD20 INIT in
your System folder.  This can usually be obtained from Macintosh user groups or
>From on-line services such as Compuserve.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/sit-expand-101.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 17:42:07 EST
From: Sam McLane <P5077G%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Address for ALJABR 1.0

In digest v9 #13 jim@fpr.com wrote to tell the mac world of a computer algebra
program developed at MIT.  His address wasn't complete so I need someone to mai
l me the correct address.   Thanks in advance.  If jim reads this, then I am in
terested, and ssend me any info you can on ALJABR 1.0

                                                     Sambo.....
                                                     p5077g@templevm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 16:02:41 EST
From: bobw@gdstech.grumman.com (Bob Waffenschmidt)
Subject: Automatic Network Backups

I am trying to solve the following problem.  I would appreciate any
advice I can get from fellow netters especially those with actual
experience.   Okay here it is:

It is actually 2 related problems.   First, I need to provide backups
to a network of 8 to 10  computer literate mac users.   The solution
must meet the following criteria:
-  Automatic, nightly incremental backups.
-  Be easy to use for the experienced BUT casual user.
	(We have tried a program which is confusing making it
          unacceptible)
-  It should only require minimal system management or operator
intervention.
-  Archived files can be quickly retreived in a straightforward
manner.
-  Backup can be made to any mountable disk.   I need to use an
already purchased 300MB/side magneto-optical  disk 	connected to a
mac-plus running appleshare.
-  Compatibility with system 7.0

The second problem is the same as above for 50 + people of computer
literacy ranging from nil to very competent.   They could use a DEC
VAX which currently supports a version of apple share called
alisashare.  These users span several zones so a single central
backupserver would require inter-zone access.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 13:39:51 EST
From: david@odin.med.harvard.edu (David Detlefsen)
Subject: bus error

I've been noticing the reports about 'bus error' that are
appearing in Info-mac and thought it was time to contribute my
own story.  A friend of mine recently purchased a IIsi and
has encountered this message while running Foxbase.  I don't
recall all the version numbers for the sofware and what inits
are present.  The problem has only occured in Foxbase and only
when he is editing/compiling programs.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the IIsi?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 1991 20:02 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: cicn <-> icl8?

Are there any freeware, shareware, etc. programs out there that can convert
back and forth between cicn and icl8 resources?  Commercial utilities?  Is
there even perhaps a way to do it with ResEdit 2.x, which I haven't had time
to play with yet?  Please e-mail me and I'll summarize to the net.  Thanks.

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 20:38:13 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <T710326%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Cursive Font

Does there exist a "cursive" font?  You know loopy l's. That kind of thing.
Zapf Chancery just won't do it.  Regards,

                                                Greg.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jan 91 08:47:33 GMT
From: quan%sol.surv.utas.OZ@uunet.uu.net (Stephen Quan)
Subject: FORTRAN help

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>Does anyone use FORTRAN (*cough* *hack* *wheeze*) on this silly thing?
>I am seeking help using FORTRAN on the Mac.  I have a Mac IIcx and IIci
>running Language Systems FORTRAN 2.0 under MPW 3.0.  I wish
>to change the cursor to the crosshair but all attempts have been
>unsuccessful (feeble).  Either I get random junk in place of the cursor or
>nothing. (No cursor is hard to use).
>
>Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions - especially in the form
>of example code. (Please dont suggest that I use a real programming
>language... At least Im using a real machine)

I sympathize, I had to program in Fortran on a PR1ME, then on a Sun,
and now on a PC!  Anyways, I have a CDEV called Cursor Animator in
which you can modify the standard 5 cursors (arror, plus, text cursor,
and I forget what the other 2 look like).  The package comes with
about 100 different cursor designs submitted from various users, and
you just choose the one you want.  I presume you can make a new one
using ResEdit on one of them.  I'll dig it up sometime and send it to
you as a StuffIt-Binhexed packaged sometime.  If you want.  ..and the
curosrs do *animate*!

--
Stephen Quan,
University of Tasmania.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 17:30:20 EST
From: Matthew Tolbert <MTOLBER%ERENJ.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Greek Macintosh O.S.

Folks,

     I have a visiting chemist from Greece who would like the Greek version
of the Macintosh operating system for his Mac Plus.  Can anyone tell me from
who or where I can get a copy of the system software plus the installer to
place it on his hard disk?  Thanx!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 16:22:37 -0500
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: Hebrew Word Processor

I have a question on behalf of a friend.

Does anyone know of a true Hebrew word processor for the Mac?  That includes
working from right to left and a spell checker.

It's out of place here, but he has another question.  Anybody know the
whereabouts of a game for the DECsystem 20, called Haunt and written in MDL?

	Bob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 10:10 EDT
From: Marcelino Bernardo <BERNARDO%ESEMAC@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Inline functions in Think C

>       Think C do has inline functions. You must prefix they with a "pascal"
>directive. For example:
>
>       pascal void SaveD3(...) = {0x3F03}; /* MOVE.L D3,-(A7) */
>
>       I don't know MPW C, but I supose MPW do require this directive also.
>At least, in all MPW include files I has read the inline functions are
>preceded
>by one.

As far as I know from the MPW C 3.0 manual, inline assembly code is not
supported.  One has to compile a separate assembly source and link this with
the C code.  The pascal declaration is used in MPW C to declare an external
pascal code.  This is the mechanism by which Toolbox calls are made from MPW
C.

Marcelino Bernardo
bernardo%esemac@erevax.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 15:36:31 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Labview

Does anybody know the internet Address of National Instruments?
( a company in Austin, Texas.)  I would like to send them some files, along
with some questions that I have.
Thanks to any with information.

Chris Jones
UOG00162@VM.UOGUELPH.CA

Youth of today!  Join me in a mass rally for traditional mental attitudes!
Overload--core meltdown sequence initiated.
"In those days, men were real men, women were real women, and small furry
creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha
Centauri" -- HhGTTG

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 1991 16:23:35 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: MicroPhone II vs. White Knight

Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> writes:

>  White Knight 11 has the most bang for the buck. It runs about
>$85 bucks from most mail order houses. MicroPhone II is very nice
>but it's too expensive (steet price of $215.)
>Geoffrey Parsons
>CS Student

Last Spring I ordered MicroPhone II direct from its publisher (Software
Ventures?  I think.) at an educational discount price of $65.  I had to order
5 (or more) copies to get the discount but that was no problem; through the
University Mac user's group I easily found four others interested in buying it.

I had used and been somewhat dissatisfied with RedRyder, and I was put off by
some of what I heard about White Knight (like the 2-key command equivalents),
so when I heard about the educational discount on MicroPhone I leaped for it.
I've been very satisfied.

                                                   Rich Holmes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 10:04:17 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modifying Icon Colorizer

On Sat, 19 Jan 91 14:23:52 EST you said:
>	I would like to know if anybody knows how to modify Icon
>Colorizer that was posted about a week ago. Some of the colors, namely
>the folder are disagreeable to me. I would simply like to modify them
>and not remove them.

The easy way is to get ahold of ResEdit 2.1 (really easy to use, full-featured
color icon editor).

The alternative is to get the color icon editor from the info-mac archive
(before I got RE 2.1, I used the icon editor to make my colorized trashcan
bluish instead of grayish :-)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 10:51:53 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: monitors for lc

I am told by the local dealer that the low cost monitors advertised
for the lc "are not available" and we need to buy more expensive old
monitors. Can anybody help here? We can't afford that option and  in
anycase would like the lc as advertised. All help appreciated.

Snailmail: Gordon Byron,  Arts Computing Advisor,Pathfoot Building,
University of Stirling,FK9 4LA  Stirling, Scotland, UK.
Voice:  Phone: 0786 73171: Ext 7266

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 23:39:23 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Networks & Games

Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu> wrote a great simple briefing on
networking in Info-Mac Digest V9 #13, but he left out a couple of points
that I feel like mentioning.

HARDWARE

ISDN is an up and coming connection method that will eliminate the need for
modems.  I have an ISDN connection in my office (LLNL just installed one of
the largest ISDN systems in the world) and can speak 19.2 Kbaud to my local
hosts through a serial line.  No modem.  I just plug a cable from my phone
to my Mac.  I still use the TCP/IP Localtalk bridge path for connections
though.  No one has really written anything that makes use of the hardware
yet.  It is supposed to be capable of 56 Kbit speeds and may eventually be
in every home.  The best part about it is that it is purely digital.  My
phone connections are great!  Long distance doesn't go analog until it reaches
the remote switch.

Apple, Farallon, and others are working on ISDN boards which will allow your
Mac to talk speedily over the ISDN connection, and will also allow your Mac
to operate your phone.  Imagine the si playing the remote person over the
speaker and listening to you through the microphone.  You don't need your
phone anymore unless you like using the headset and/or the upside down keypad.
(Didn't Ma Bell patent that keypad?  Talk about ancient look and feel lawsuits!)

The Livermore and Berkeley switches are scheduled to be replaced in late 1991
or so.  Then people (like me) will be able to have ISDN service to their
homes.  High speed data connections will be more common as more switches
convert.  Pester your phone company and let them know that you want ISDN
service.  It is debatable whether they know people want high speed
communications at home.  They are targeting businesses, not homes.  Let them
know.

CONNECTIVITY

The "best" option for hooking up Macintoshes to an Internet is a bridge.
This way you use the LocalTalk wiring to talk to your printers and every
Macintosh can route through the bridge to the Internet.  If any Macs need
direct Ethernet access for speed, slap an Ethernet board in them and hook
them up.  They can then talk TCP/IP straight out the board and Appletalk
onto the LocalTalk wiring.  Flexible and redundant.  With Apple's Internet
Router software an Ethernet boarded Macintosh can even function as a bridge,
which can be valuable as a backup for the LocalTalk network.

APPLICATIONS

With the built-in networking of the Macintosh and the obviously networked
group you and I are in, it's amazing we don't see more discussion of network
games.  I know of several and am working on one myself (slowly, so don't razz
me).  They are:

MazeWar	- There have been several versions, with MazeWar+ out sometime around
the Mac Plus days.  None of these runs on my SE/30 or Mac IIfx.  There was even
a version called Bus't Out which used an early version of Appletalk that ran
through the modem port.  It's long gone too.  My only copies are on 400K disks.
We need a rewrite of this that will work across zones!

NetTrek - You saw the beta and I bought the real version.  It's nice, but the
ships are hard to fly and combat kind of consists of passing slides while you
trade shots.  Not a very fulfilling game, imho.  I've seen Sulu and Data drive
the Enterprise with only a couple of buttons.  It shouldn't be this hard.

Armor Alley - Run out and buy this sucker!  Up to 4 players fly helicopters in
a two dimensional battle of mechanized weapons.  You order up tanks, missle
carriers, electronics vans, engineers, and infantry.  They march towards the
enemy base at a steady rate while you and your opponent battle in the skies
above them.  As your ground forces collide with the enemy's, they decimate
each other and the larger force survives.  With a helicopter flying support,
enemy forces can be destroyed before your ground forces are damaged.  You win
a battle by getting a van into the enemy base or destroying all of your
enemy's helicopters.  The computer has unlimited helicopters.  You can play in
opposition or in teams. You can even play two humans versus a human and
computer.  It is an awesome game.  It is fast, although it has bogged a few
times, but never very badly. It is 1 or 4 bit graphics.  The color stuff is
very pretty.  There are a mess of battles.  I just got to the first hard one
and there are three enemy convoys in my face.  I have to start at a lower
level just to amass enough money to buy the troops to survive.  It's nasty.  I
don't think it will work across the Internet (i.e. it doesn't seem to support
zones).

SUMMARY

I would think that with the lugability of the compact Macs more people would
take them to friend's houses and play network games.  Maybe they are restricted
by table space and plug strips.  That seems to be where we get into trouble.
If you are into this, you probably should invest in a 10m Appletalk or PhoneNet
cable.  It works wonders for those difficult connection cases.  10m will almost
always enable you to set up in any room of a house.  With the growing Internet,
I would think more games could be played on college campuses and after work
hours.  Does anyone else admit to this?

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 23:25:55 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Programming, OOPs, and THINK Pascal

There has been a lot of talk about programming in general and I would like to
toss in my 2 cents (when are we going to be able to use option-4 here?).

I am just finishing a rewrite of my ShowSizes program using THINK Pascal and
the Think Class Library.  This stuff is AWESOME!  I've been trying to get into
the OOP approach for some time, but wrestling with MacApp was such a chore.
TCL is a simpler, but essentially the same as MacApp.  Using it is pretty
simple, once you get the hang of it.  I have been writing smaller pieces of
code that work simpler.  Debugging is simple with Lightsbug, although I run
out of real estate on my SE/30 pretty quickly.

If you are interested in OOP (and you should be) get either THINK C or PASCAL
and learn the THINK CLASS LIBRARY.  Instead of writing the guts of the program,
which is the hard part on the Macintosh, write a few methods (subroutines),
and watch your program work from the beginning.  The TCL also serves as a nice
example program.  It is all in source code form and there is an object
hierarchy viewer that takes you right to the code.  Damned handy!

For you C weenies ;^) THINK Pascal can do ANYTHING THINK C can do, and faster!
See MacTutor for some discussion of the speed differences. Add to this it's
readability and I don't see why C is king of the languages. THINK Pascal is
everything you need and it's never as obtuse as C regularly is.

One interesting thing: I made my standard linked list into a list of objects
and the code was virtually the same but cleaner.  I find myself using even
more recursive procedures to do the work.  Talk about easy!  I cannot
recommend this stuff enough!

Finally, if you do use THINK Pascal, check out the FTL INIT which patches
the FlushVol routine while THINK is compiling.  It prevents a disk flush after
each module is compiled, resulting in a 15% increase in compiler speed.  THINK
C doesn't benefit as dramatically, which implies that it is more cpu bound
than disk bound, or that it doesn't call CloseDialog as often as Pascal, which
is the only time the FTL patch shortcuts FlushVol.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 16:18:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Erik K. Larson" <el17+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Startup screen help request

photoshop by adobe will convert just about anything into the startup
screen format, although you may have to change the mode from indexed
color to RGB.

erik

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 17:42:05 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 beta available??

Can anyone tell me how to get a beta version of System 7.0?? I'm looking for-
ward to trying it out. Do I have to apply for the right? Any help & info is
appreciated. Thanks-Pete
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 09:31:13 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Thank you, Symantec!

On Fri, 18 Jan 91 22:07:58 SET you said:
>This is what I call cutsomer service: If you send a complaint to an
>electronic digest, and the company calls you to correct the problem -
>that's simply perfect!

Symantec is NOT the only vendor that at least reads lists (even if they
NEVER post a message).  I posted an objective (non flammable) inquiry
about another company's software (SPSS) and was subsequently told by
a technical services representative that my message had been printed
and routed internally (got an answer to my query too :-)

MORAL: while frustration is understandable, it may be prudent to keep
flaming of vendors down to reasonable levels of indignation (on the old
theory about attracting more flies with honey than vinegar).  More and more
employees of vendors are finding their way to public access unix, AppleLink,
company computers, etc.  Even when participation is unofficial, copies of
email may find there way to company routing slips.  If you've got a reasonable
point, you may be rewarded.

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 10:16 EST
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ulkyvx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Those weasels at Intuit!

I must admit that I have to agree with the gentelman who posted a rather
negative review of Quicken 1.5 for the Mac.  I have purchased a Mac Classic to
replace my obsolete AT clone.  I was using Quicken to track my checking account
(if you'd ever seen my handwriting, you would understand why this is necessary
:-)).  Quicken 3.0 for MS-DOS is a fine program.

I called Intuit to ask them about converting my database from MS-DOS to Mac.  I
was told, in a rather abrupt fashion, that there was not, nor would there ever
be, a way to copy a Quicken 3.0 account from DOS to Mac Quicken.  So there.

Well, when I pressed this person for an answer about when a new Mac version
will be available, she said that "we are always evaluating new product
oppotunities" or somesuch gibberish.  I took this to mean No.

I think what's happened here is that Intuit has all but abandoned the Mac
product.  No new version in the time that TWO upgrades for DOS have appeared.
Sounds like they like the easy money from DOS users.  Plus, developing on a Mac
does require work.  I guess they figure the Mac market isn't as profitable.

I wonder if Intuit has taken note of the sales of Classics.  A Classic buyer
would seem to me to be right in their target market for Quicken.  I read in Mac
Week that some are projecting that Classic sales will pass the sales for ALL
Apple II machines ever sold.  I would be willing to bet that many of those are
replacing aging AT clones.

Intuit has a successful product and I guess that what it's all about.  I guess
I just get irritated with a company just paying lip service to a product.  Why
not just discontinue the product?  Let me go find something else to use.  Don't
just take my money and forget it.  If you're going to update one version,
update them all.

Mike Harpe
University of Louisville

Disclaimer:  The opinions in this article are my own and do not represent the
opinions of the University of Louisville, it's faculty, staff or
administrators.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 17:06:30 CST
From: Robert Skinner <VB8A1001%SMUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Unfreezing a screen

Over the years I have accumulated several other commands to try in the
debugger window summoned by the programmer's button.

For the Mac II (works on my IIcx)
G 4080D5CE <cr>

For the Mac SE  (have never tried this one)
G 409B24 <cr>

Yet another for the Mac Plus
SM FA 700 <cr>
PC FA 700 <cr>
G <cr>

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can comment on how these are
different from the ones previously discussed in Info-Mac, and whether the
"Mac II" one works on SE30s.I assume because there is a special one for
the SE that the applicability of these is related to ROM as well as CPU
considerations.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 23:27:33 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Why INITs clear the screen...

ENGLISH@ACS.NUHUB.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Adm. RW. English) asks why his screen
"wipes" during his INIT run.  I would have written directly, but the Admiral's
>From: was something about his first experience with gunpowder.  Mine was a
hoot too.

There is a semi-official list of things you are NOT supposed to do at INIT
time.  Good INITs don't do them.  Many INITs are not good.  One thing is
to call InitWindows.  This clears the screen and wipes out that nifty growing
row of good INITs that have drawn their icons like they are supposed to.
Unfortunately, Appleshare breaks this rule, as do others.  Some put up dialog
boxes.  InitDialog requires InitWindows.  I think you get the drift.

Start pulling INITs in the R,S,T range until the InitWindow call stops.  You
will have your culprit.  Of course, what to do know depends on several things.
Did you buy the INIT?  Do you need it?  Can you get someone to fix it?  Can
you live with it?  Do you care? (I think we can assume that you do since you
bothered to ask twice.)

You could patch out the call to InitWindows, but that sounds too dangerous for
my tastes.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 09:55:44 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Fri, 18 Jan 91 10:16:13 EST you said:
>Is there a utility which automatically closes all open windows on the
>desktop when one selects "Shut Down" from the "Special" menu.
>
>This would be useful in a lab setting where a new user is confronted with
>many open windows when the Mac is turned on.

If you hold down the option key while closing the front window (either with
command-W or a mouse click), all the open windows will close.

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 14:51:27 CST
From: Ryan Christian Nelson <rcnelson@icaen.uiowa.edu>

Hi there...

I'm currently searching for software (preferably, sourcecode) for
the administration of a fencing tournament.  This would be used
to determine seeding and such.  I'd like it to be able to start
with round-robin pools of six competitors, then at some point,
go to either direct or double elimination brackets.

Does anyone there have the algorithms for doing something like
this?