info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 28 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 22

Today's Topics:

      [*] Diamonds 1.42
      [*] LPunch 1.0
      [*] WaitLess 1.0
      128K Sad Mac
      24-bit images
      A/UX LocalTalk/Ethern.router?
      Abbreviations???
      ADSP
      animation via Hypercard?
      bomb recovery
      bus errors on IIsi
      Charging for Laser Printing
      Classic RAM Upgrades.
      hebrew word processor
      Hypercard 2.0 Programming
      IBM files w/Mac
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #15
      Lefties
      Locked files
      Mac IIsi: Ethernet card, color monitor, trackball, chess
      Mac IIsi memory
      molecular orbital contours
      NEC MacSync color monitor
      Quark extensions
      Refilling HP DeskWriter Cartridges
      Remote Procedure Call for Mac IIci
      Specific Digitized Images and / or artwork
      Survey tabulating
      The merging of two great states.
      Think Pascal Libraries.

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 12:01:27 +0100
From: odreer@iiic.ethz.ch
Subject: [*] Diamonds 1.42

A colorful brick game for Macintosh II computers.
Works only with 256 Colors.
Support for multiply sound channels with Sys6.0.7 or higher.

You have to collect all the Bricks before you can get the
Diamond-Bricks. Watch out for the Trap-Bricks and hit carfully
all the other Bricks which change color or direction.

Contact : odreer@iiic.ethz.ch
Oliver Dreer
Im Egg 35
CH-4147 Aesch
Switzerland

[Archived as /info-mac/game/diamonds-142-part1.hqx; 192K
             /info-mac/game/diamonds-142-part2.hqx; 170K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 11:02:59 MET DST
From: franconi@irst.it (Enrico Franconi )
Subject: [*] LPunch 1.0

  LISTSERV-Punch conversion program, based on version number 03.

  The term "LISTSERV-Punch" refers to a "file transmission format" which
  is  used  by LISTSERV when sending files larger than 80 characters per
  record to computing systems which do not have the ability  to  process
  Netdata, CARD DUMP or DISK DUMP format.  It was designed to accomodate
  file  transmission  through mail-only gateways.

  Originally written by Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11.BITNET>
  Ported to Macintosh by Enrico Franconi <franconi@irst.it>

  LPunch is Shareware.  Source code is available.

Enrico Franconi
IRST, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
I-38050 Povo TN, ITALY

e-mail: franconi@irst.it              |   phone:  +39 (461) 814-438
       (franconi%irst@uunet.uu.net)   |     fax:            810-851

Opinions: They're mine, of course, and not those of my employer

[Archived as /info-mac/util/lpunch-10.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 18:01:55 EST
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA@acadvm1.uottawa.ca>
Subject: [*] WaitLess 1.0

Appended here is the desk accesory WaitLess 1.0 which serves as a
replacement for the Control Panel desk accesory.  This DA accesses
cdevs appreciably faster that the standard Control Panel from
Apple.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/waitless-10.hqx; 82K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 07:55 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER%IUP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 128K Sad Mac

Harry Bates writes:

>A friend of mine has just picked up an old 128K machine. When he tries
>to boot it he gets and error message #040800. Can anyone tell me what
>this means??

The "04" means one of the RAM chips is bad (failed the "Mod3" test, whatever
that is).  The "0800" is the number of the chip that failed.  I believe this
means the motherboard has to be replaced.  Considering the number of apps that
run on a 128K Mac, I recommend he replace it by upgrading.

Mark Nutter                                              MANUTTER@IUP.BITNET
Apple Support Manager
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't look in his mouth." - Archie B.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 15:59:40 EST
From: robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 24-bit images

Is there any 24-bit images available on sumex or other INTERNET sites?  A
friend bought an 8-24 card for his SI and doesn't have any 24-bit images
to display.  He asked if I could get some to show to our user's group.
Thanx for your help.

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 91 15:59 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: A/UX LocalTalk/Ethern.router?

Subject: A/UX LocalTalk/Ethernet router?

This is something that other people have probably also thought about: is there
any software running under A/UX v2.0 that works as a router between LocalTalk
and Ethernet, or a gateway between AppleTalk and TCP/IP?

Hardware-wise, you can connect machine from the Macintosh II family to both
Ethernet (using a card) and LocalTalk (using the printer port).  Software-wise
A/UX v2.0 can work with AppleTalk protocols through the printer port and at the
same time use TCP/IP through the Ethernet card.

The obvious next step is software that encapsulates AppleTalk packets and sends
them on over Ethernet, and vice versa.  And encapsulating TCP/IP packets and
sending them on over LocalTalk, and vice versa.  That way we would have
gateway.  Does this exist?  Is anybody working on this kind of thing?

-- Thomas Fruin                       Technical Support, Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT              laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Jan 26, 1991
From: <takman%TRBILUN.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Abbreviations???

Dear netters,

1) I am sure that this question's been answered several times
before. If someone can redo it, I'd appreciate.
What are the extensions of the Macs (in fact Apple) standing for?
NT, NTX, SC, x, LC, si, ci, fx, cx, SE ?

2) I have seen a dealer price list and there were some cards nobody
knew why they for for, and what in the world may someone do with
those cards? If someone knows the answer, please post ASAP.

Item no. (in the list)                Name
M0504Z              Mac II 1-bit Video Card
M0121Z/A            Video Card 4/8 Bit
M0507Z/A            Video Card 8/24 Bit
M0412LL/A           Upgrade Video Card, 4 VRAM

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

-Tunc Akman
Respond: takman@trbilun.bitnet

Disclaimer: Above questions are not Saddam's,
            They are mine(= me, myself & I)...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 12:51 CST
From: TURNBULL@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Subject: ADSP

	Hello Netters,
Could someone please out there help me I'm looking for a System Document
called ADSP, I'm also interested in asking you hackers out there if you know
what this ADSP does, for someone told me it was part of a AppleShare Network
but I don't know for sure...
	Thanks in advance
Charlie Turnbull
Universidad de las Americas-Puebla
Mexico
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 91 10:17:10 EST
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: animation via Hypercard?

Is it possible to do animation via Hypercard (like quick displaying of pics)?

George Lai
st701640@brownvm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 21:21 EDT
From: <RWALKER%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: bomb recovery

I have been following the conversation regarding using the interrupt button to
recover from bombs.  Unfortunately, enjoying a stable system (for once) I have
not encountered a bomb for quite some time know.  So, out of curiosity, I just
hit the interupt key anyway and tried the two suggestions which should have
worked on an SE with 4 megs RAM.  My results where mixed:

first I tried:          SM 0 A9F4       G 0     <CR>
I encountered a fresh BOMB with a "coprocessor not installed error"

which provided me with the opportunity to try:  G 409B24 <CR>
which worked beautifully.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 26 Jan 91 22:47:17-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu>
Subject: bus errors on IIsi

The IIci, IIfx, IIsi, and LC (and, I imagine, the Classic) check certain
things when an application uses memory that were not checked in earlier
machines.  They ensure that applications are "32-bit clean," i.e., that
they don't refer to memory locations illegally.  Some applications that
worked (or seemed to work) fine on earlier machines break on these
machines, and if they do, you're likely to get a bus error (ID=1).  This
kind of error will probably be very repeatable:  you can crash the
application by doing the same thing every time.

If a certain app keeps crashing with a bus error on a IIsi, I'd put my
money on the app not being 32-bit clean, not on a problem with the
machine.  Call the publisher, explain the problem, and ask if there's an
update.

Brodie Lockard
Stanford University
brod@jessica.stanford.edu
 ------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 21:03 EST
From: BUEHRER@husc3.harvard.edu
Subject: Charging for Laser Printing

I work for a computer lab at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.  We
currently run a Novel network with about 35 MS-DOS machines on it.  (version
2.12 of Netware so we can't add any Macs.)  We have a Mac that is primarily
used for printing.  Presently we have set up a rather complicated system that
automatically charges users of the MS-DOS machines for their printing (the
system uses a third-party VAP to allow workstations to act as print spoolers
and I wrote some software that does the actual page counting and charging.)
It would be very nice to be able to do that for the Macs.

Does anyone know of a way to have the Mac figure out who is using the computer,\

like a log in function, and then keep track of how many pages were printed on
a postscript printer?

We are considering buying a TOPS Flashcard for an old MS-DOS machine that we
have and writing some software that would allow the MS-DOS machine to act like
it is a LaserWriter but have it buffer the output from the Mac and send it in
batch to the spooler for printing on the network.  The user of the Mac would
have to log into the MS-DOS machine if he or she wanted to print and the
network would then take care of the billing for printing.  Any suggestions on
how hard or easy this might be?

You can send answers either here or to me directly at buehrer@husc3.harvard.edu.
Thanks.

Tim

No disclaimers here.  This is my account.

------------------------------

Date: Jan 26, 1991
From: <takman%TRBILUN.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Classic RAM Upgrades.

How do you upgrade a Mac Classic RAM?
What are the possible upgraded RAM values: (2, 2.5, 4 ???)?
Who sells the Classic RAM exp. kits?

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 91 13:50:24 +0200
From: Adee Ran <adee%techunix.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: hebrew word processor

>Does anyone know of a true Hebrew word processor for the Mac?  That includes
>working from right to left and a spell checker.

  yes, there is a hebrew word processor for the mac. It's called AllScript (or
Rav Ktav in hebrew) and is actually very nice - I use it quite often. It is
fast, user friendly, works from right to left or from left to right according
to your current ruler. I think it is similar to MacWrite but I don't know the
latter very well. Currently it does not have a spelling checker, but the next
version is coming up (although the situation in Israel causes delays) with a
spelling checker, and some other nice features as well. (I'm proud to say I'm
one of the developers of the speller...)
  AllScript is a product of Micro-Macro which is a registered apple developer.
I don't have their exact address or phone right now, but it should be available
>From apple dealers. If you can't find it, drop me a message (directly by
e-mail) and I'll locate them for you. Anyway, as the name implies, it is not
just a hebrew w.p. but works with all Macintosh scripts. I know it was tested
in Japan and Thailand and it's a great success. But that means you must have
the Hebrew System and Hebrew fonts. If you don't, contact Apple and ask them
what to do.

special disclaimer: I don't work for Micro-Macro, I'm just a user.

/---------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|bitnet :                         | Weather turns much better once       |
|    adee@techunix.technion.ac.il | you have air conditioning around.    |
|       disclaimer : I am not a lawyer. Please don't catch me on that.   |
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 91 01:08:11 EST
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0 Programming

Hi,
     Can anyone out there tell me if there are any puclic domain files out
there that will list most of the functions of hypercard script commands?
I'm trying to program an education software, and I need to learn script and
pronto.  I appreciate any help.

George Lai
st701640@brownvm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 1991 06:13:20 GMT
From: stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey)
Subject: IBM files w/Mac

I have no experience with AccessPC, but I can note that DosMounter will try
to write a desktop file to the IBM diskette, and therefore not be happy
with any write protected diskettes you may meet.

Other than that, It makes the dos diskette appear as a normal macintosh
disk on the desktop (with a couple of minor things like the filenames
are usually in all caps) to distinguish it.

Pretty good program actually.

Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 17:05 EST
From: WALLACE FELDMAN <FELDMANW@splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #15

Date sent:  25-JAN-1991 16:46:51
While Ron Webster's commentary on the weaknesses of Quicken 1.5
is accurate as far as it goes, one of his statements leaves a
most inaccurate impression, the result of some miscommunication
by that company, Intuit Software.

Specifically, Webster relates that "...the Intuit representative
verified what I had said and conceded.. that Quicken 1.5 is a virtually
useless piece of crap but there are no firm plans for an upgrade."
End quote.

I just spoke today with a real corporate marketing representative
(NOT one of their 800-number phone clones)who assures me that
they are vigorously working on upgrading and further developing
Intuit for the Mac, and have no notion of abandoning it.

In conversing with her at length about why the customer communication
came out as Webster reported, the problem became clear:  The company has
an obession with secrecy, and consequently a very short-sighted policy
of refusing to acknowledge that anything is under development until
it is actually ready to ship. The "Phone-Clones" on the 800 lines
are apparently strictly forbidden to tell a customer that their
defect or complaint is known, understood, and will be corrected with
the next upgrade.

 In fact, these folk are prohibited from even
admitting that a new version is under development. It isn't a very
big step from this to understand how a phone-rep could come up
with the statement Webster quotes..but it's simply not true. I
have good authority that the new version WILL be out, and will
be a big improvement. (Actually, I find that for a single checking account
it's a pretty good thing right now).

Webster does have an interestiong and potentially valuable discussion
series going..and it would be even better if it smacked less of
being a diatribe. Accuracy is certainly important if one is throwing
rocks at presumably deserving targets.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Intuit except that of having spent
a few bucks for Quicken 1.5 . I know nobody there, own no stock, and
am not connected in any way with the computer or software business.

Disclaimer 2: Free advice is usually worth what you paid for it.

Wallace Feldman                  Bitnet: Feldmanw@snyplava.bitnet
School of                      Internet: Feldmanw@splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu
Business and Economics
SUNY College at Plattsburgh         Phone: (518) 564-3184
Plattsburgh, NY 12901               FAX:   (518) 564-7827

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 12:13 N
From: <BUURT1%HLERUL55.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lefties

  Ok let met put (hopefully) the FINAL argument about lefties. Generally
there are TWO kinds of lefthanded people : those who primarilly write
etc with their left hand but CAN do those fine motoric operations with
right hand as well (just practice; it really can be done even legible),
this is the overwhelming majority of lefties, and those who are "really"
lefthanded (like me) who have got their "wiring" sort of mixed up (ie
that all kinds of psychological functions are "wired in a mirror image
of the rest of the world). Admiteddly among psycholgists (again like me)
there is considerable discussion about this "real" leftiness, mainly due
to our small number ( some one in 100.000 lefties is considered one).
Howeever it is virtually impossible to do all kinds of fine motoric
operations with our right hand, up to and including using a mouse. So I
can only work it with my left hand. Or with great difficulty with my
right hand.

Now working with the mouse gives a problem 'cause it poitns in a weird
way, ie the wrong way for us. Regretfully ihe mousepointer is
"hardwired" so it is not easily solved. Just getting used to it seems
the only solution to it

Jasper Kips     BUURT1@hlerul55

I work and yet am a civil servant

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 23:03:25 CST
From: allan@chem.nwu.edu (David Allan)
Subject: Locked files

At work I back up my data files to our server, from which they are archived
regularly.  Sometimes a data file is locked, and when I try to overwrite with
a new version on the second day, I get the usual alert.  My question: is
there a utility program which will unlock all the files on a volume or in a
specified folder?

Thanks.

David Allan
allan@chem.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 1991 21:33 EDT
From: Zsuzsanna Bencsath <ZSUZSI@med.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Mac IIsi: Ethernet card, color monitor, trackball, chess

Hi Netters,
Please e-mail me directly if you could help or have some information
regarding the followings.

1.  Ethernet card for the Macintosh IIsi.
We have the si's delivered, and now the University salespeople said that
Apple said that ... the Ethernet cards are to be available only in March.
PathWorks we got, but how to use it without the Ethernet cards?

Some of you talked about installing Pathworks, (others?) about working
with si's.

Questions:
      (a)  To anyone who uses Mac IIsi and Ethernet.
            What kind of Ethernet card do you use? Where did you get
            it?
      (b)  Mac 1000 Ethernet card from Network Resources
            Corp. (San Jose) supports AppleTalk Phase 1 and Phase2.
            Is anyone familiar with that Company? With that product?

2.  Apple 13" color monitor.
We use with the si's 13" Apple high density color screens.  In the last
couple of days I noticed a dark line 6 cm from the bottom edge of the
screen. This line shows up after shutdown, after 24 hours of out of use
also.  Anyone has any idea what could this be?  Given that the monitors
have only 90 days warranty -- please tell me anything that you coulkd
associate with this problem.
I plan to return the monitors (2 of them developed these lines -- but I am
a bit suspicious; since both of them have it at exactly the same hight),
but could it be the video card??  Could it be a software 'burning' a mask
into the tube which stays on forever (mind you, the line runs nicely all
across the screen horizontally and none of the software creates a window
which runs the whole width of the screen)?  HELP!

<FLAME ON>
Finally Apple's warranty is 1 year. If you happen to have a machine with
the built-in screen, then you really have the 1 year warranty. Why is
there only 90 days for the monitors? I understand that for the keyboard,
mouse - the abusable parts - Apple tries to get away with as little
warranty time as possible. But we should have 1 year also for the
monitors. Even Digital gives 1 year warranty for its terminals.
<FLAME OFF>

3. Trackball and footswitch for the Mac IIsi.
Can you recommend a trackball for our Mac's?  And tell me where did
you get it?  What are the characteristics to look for when evaluating
which one to buy?
The footswitch?  Anyone used any?  Would you please tell me about it?

4.  Programmer switch equivalent on the si.
Where is it?

5.  Chess program for the Mac
Is there a public domain, shareware chess program for the Mac IIsi?

Thank you all, in advance, for all your help, suggestions, put down --  will
be appreciated and you will be thanked individually (does this sound like
a threat?)

Zsuzsanna Bencsath
Medical Computing Resource
McGill University
e-mail address: zsuzsi@medcor.mcgill.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 17:14:12 EST
From: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: Mac IIsi memory

What are the possible memory configurations of a Mac IIsi?  As I
understand it, it has 1 meg soldered in and 4 SIMM slots.  What size
SIMMs will they take and in what combinations?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 08:57:08 EST
From: deal@heyl.kzoo.edu
Subject: molecular orbital contours

I am looking for a package (preferably in the public domain) that
will allow me to plot contour diagrams for molecular orbitals
produced by ab-initio programs such as Gaussian80 or GAMESS.  I
have a Mac IIci and would of course like to take advantage of a
color monitor to differentiate lobes of different signs.  The
most convenient would be an F77 or Pascal program which I could
modify to read my particular output files from, for example,
GAMESS. Such a program would ideally allow the user to choose
which slice through the molecule to use in generating the
coutours of a particular m.o.  While I could start the laborious
job of generating such a program using the Mac toolbox, I really
am not the person to do so.

Any suggestions?
    		Expectantly,  Ralph M. Deal
    		Chemistry and Computer Science Departments
    		Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI 49007
    		DEAL@HEYL.KZOO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 11:18:47 CST
From: John Valdes <valdes@geosun.uchicago.edu>
Subject: NEC MacSync color monitor

Hello all,

I'm looking for a 13" or 14" color monitor and am considering the NEC MacSync.
However, I haven't been able to find an reviews of it.  Is anyone familiar with
it, or using one?  Do you like/dislike it, and why?  With what display cards
(NuBus) does it work?  Thanks in advance for your comments.  I will post a
summary of what I find.

John Valdes
University of Chicago                    INTERNET: valdes@geosun.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 19:37:16 EST
From: Glenn Fleishman <YUPS%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Quark extensions

Three Quark related questions:
1. What's the difference between Quark zaps version 2 and 2A? I just heard
that 2A exists, but not why. Another Quark user here hasn't been able to
properly place PICT images after zapping her program with version 2; Quark
advised reloading the program from the original disks, which she did. Things
then returned to almost normal.
2. This is not entirely Mac-oriented, but I heard today that Quark has been
implemented on the Next platform and that PageMaker was promising an
implementation soon. We run a service bureau here for the university
community, and I'm wondering if files generated on Quark(Next) will be
interchangeable to Quark(Mac); or at least, if there will be some easy way to
read PostScript from the Next without a network hookup. We have a few Next's
around and I predict more soon.
3. Is there a way to customize the eXtension Typesetting Marks so that it
takes up less space, info. I don't want output is removed, or to change the
font used?
Thanks for any info.
P.S. I don't know if this would be more appropriate in a desktop publishing
forum. Is there one I don't know of? I can't access the one at %plaid@sun.com.

Glenn Fleishman, typesetting supervisor, Yale U. Printing Service
e-mail: glenn_fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu
voice: 203 432-2899   fax: 203 432-7819
My employer is not responsible for my opinions; they are my own.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 14:08:10 PST
From: Penny Padgett <PADGETT@intellicorp.com>
Subject: Refilling HP DeskWriter Cartridges

Forgive me if this has been discussed in this forum before,
but if someone has instructions for refilling HP DeskWriter
cartridges, I'd be very grateful if they'd pass them along.

Thanks,
Penny Padgett
 ------

------------------------------

Date: MON, 28 JAN 91 11:39:34 MEZ
From: Zbigniew Szkutnik <FH1SZK%DHHDESY3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Remote Procedure Call for Mac IIci

Does anybody know anything about any existing RPC implementation for
Mac IIci? If yes, please send me an information. I work on general
software for H1 experiment at DESY (Hamburg). There are several Macs
used in our collaboration. It would be of real importance to have
a possibility to install our existing RPC based network software
on these machines.
                      Kind regards
                      Zbyszek Szkutnik

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 1991 13:02 EST
From: "NAME\"Life is but a blenderfull of cherries\"" <G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu>
Subject: Specific Digitized Images and / or artwork

Hello there...

I am in the process of finishing a statistics report for my job, and I
would like to include the corporate Logos of the two companies that
this report is destined for.  They are namely Scandinavian Airways
System aka. SAS and Continental Airlines / Express.

I was wondering, if anybody had these digitized, or could digitize
them and send them to me.  I would appreciate it.  I have
accessibility to Ultra Paint, Super Paint, and Mac Paint, so anything
in a format compatable to these programs would be nice.

Secondly, I would also appreciate any aviation clip art - preferably
of Commercial nature.

My internet address is as follows:

G_WERNER@ACC.HAVERFORD.EDU

I would greatly appreciate any help in getting these images onto the
mac screen.

thank you,

     Gordon Werner
Continental Express Operations.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 14:09:33 EST
From: Clare Durst <CCD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Survey tabulating

Not for the first time, I've been asked to look into setting up
tabulating the results of a survey on the mac.  The solution I turned
to before was creating a Filemaker database that looked like the survey
and having every response entered in, question by question, then
exporting to Excel and manipulating the data.  There must be a better
solution!  Is this what SPSS does?  I don't have it, and probably
won't get it any time soon, but I'd love to know if it would be a
viable solution.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 1991 14:46:01 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: The merging of two great states.

I know this is going to sound blasphemous... but I just have to ask (if for no
other reason than to keep up on this stuff):

I know SoftPC (the DOS emulator in a can) has been around for a while. I know
it's had some problems in the past.  I remember back when I first read about
SoftPC, it emulated DOS rather well... but it was really just meant for
spreadsheet applications and business software. It couldn't handle graphic
intensive applications like CAD, or the large majority of arcade-style games.
But now I notice that there is an EGA emulator extension. I'm assuming that the
EGA extension addresses this side of computing a little more (with more
stringent support for real graphics)... but is this true? I realize that, by
their very nature, software-based emulators are usually slow... but are there
any incompatabilities?  CAN it handle a 3-D CAD package? Can a user fly a
Falcon AT F-16 within the Emulator? Can it run paint and graphics software?
Of course the box promises 286 performance. I don't believe THAT, but that not
withstanding, does anybody have any experience with the EGA version of SoftPC?

Thanks,

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 09:37:26 GMT
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Think Pascal Libraries.

Does anyone know what the Graf3D library is for in Think Pascal?
I have looked through the manual and have found no description of what the
library should be used for. It sounds like it may be an interesting thing
to play with if I knew what it did.

*<   Peter J Hardman.               Network Manager.       >*
*>   Phone (UK)061-275-4640       Chemistry Department.    <*
*<   Fax   (UK)061-275-4958      Manchester University.    >*
*>   EMail hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa  Oxford Rd. Manchester M13 9PL <*

End of Info-Mac Digest