info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/30/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 29 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:

      [*] cdev/ktcustomizer.hqx
      [*] sit.shar
      (De)Compression Wars
      Can you do it in Pascal?
      Concurrent ATP Requests
      Cricket Graph and the IIsi
      FileList 1.4 on SE
      Glare Screen for Apple 13" Color Monitor
      Graf3D
      Hard Drive Vendors
      HC Serial Tool Box??
      In search of a chooser level HP-Plotter driver
      LINES ACROSS MONITORS
      Macintosh Revealed and Inside Mac
      mac sounds help required
      MM Init
      Reply to Mike Flynn- How the Mac can survive.
      slow MacIIsi !?!
      THE CI SIMMS ROM
      Using Mac II video utility with IIsi
      VCR CONTROL ??

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 22:32 CST
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] cdev/ktcustomizer.hqx

	This file contains a CDEV called KTCustomizer which allows one to change
the Application and System font on your Mac. The menus are in Japanese, and was
intended for users of the Japanese OS KanjiTalk. It also has other features. The
Application and System font are, by default, the ugly Osaka font. There are
other fonts which incorporate Japanese, yet their English characters look much
better. The ugly part of the Osaka font is not the Japanese, but the English. I
have posted optional Japanese fonts onto a file called japan-fonts.hqx in the
info-mac/font directory here. Included in that file are 5 optional Japanese
fonts, and an INIT which does the same thing as KTCustomizer, but does not give
you much control. That is why I posted KTCustomizer, too.
	This file is Stuffed and binhexed. Enjoy!

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/kt-customizer.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 15:07:27 -0600
From: Rob Elliott <rce10845@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] sit.shar

XThis shar file contains the source to "sit" a UNIX utility which produces
XStuffit archives for downloading to the mac.  As a bonus I've also included
X"macbinfilt", a filter which takes articles from comp.binaries.mac, puts the
Xparts in the correct order, and throws out all the "noise" lines.
XTo use the sit code you need the getopt(3) library routine and the compress(1)
Xutility, both of which most everyone seems to have by now.
XThere is not much original code here: everything is reverse engineered from
Xthe unsit utility by Alan Weber.  The updcrc.c file is exactly the same file
Xfrom the unsit package.
XI've tested the code on both BSD and SYSV machines. Both machines were big
Xendian so byte order problems may still be lurking.

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/sit.shar; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 00:05 EST
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: (De)Compression Wars

I must have about a dozen decompression utilities. I download every new
utility that appears on the list just in case I will be caught by some
new format that only works with 'superunstufcmpact/bin' (my expereience
goes back to .pit files in the archives). Until recently, UnStuffit 1.5.1
was a sort of standard because it unbinhexes without the problems caused
by crc errors in Unbinhex 4.0 and gave immediate gratification. Alas! There
is not (to my knowledge) a utility which will unbinhex, unstuff (in all its
variations) and uncompact all at the same time. I'm not much interested in
compression, just DEcompression (that's the way they come in).
I read somewhere (probably on this list) that Bill Goodman was going to
come up with an .sea or un-.cpt that included unbinhex. Has anyone seen
this beastie yet? It sure would uncomplicate things and clear up some
disk space.
Whoops! I missed a reference to DD.
p.s. For those who wonder why I am concerned about disk space and not
compression, there is a big difference between userspace and archivespace.
Gordon
Dohle@Vax2.Concordia.ca
Dohle@Conu2.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 91 11:41 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Can you do it in Pascal?

> THINK Pascal can do ANYTHING THINK C can do, and faster!...
> Add to this,it's readability and I don't see why C is King of the languages.

	The C is the king of language because it is the most "writable". In
Pascal, you can code anything, but NOT more readable than in C.

	Some things you can do in C easier and more readable than Pascal are:

	- Pointer aritmetic
	- Loop control (C for statament)
	- Condicional compiling
	- Macros (make C more readable)
	- Bit control
	- Pass of structs (records) by value
 	- Dynamic multidimensional array
 	- IO libraries (Why has not THINK Pascal IO libraries sources?)
 	- Strong machine-code <-> C integration (Try the inline ASM in
 	  THINK C. You can put C functions and C variables into ASM code.
 	  This make THINK C the best platform to learn 680xx Assembler).

 	I was a THINK Pascal programmer and also I thought it could do
anything. I didn't want to move to THINK C, but the time let me make up
my mind about the power and beautiful of C. "A readability source is only
an aptitude, not an imposed rule".

 	A challenge: try to code into Pascal a number test to check if N is
a power of two. In C:

 	if( (N & -N)==N ) ...		/* Is N a power of 2? */

 	It's unreadable, but it's simple and full readable if you know
Boole's algebra.

 	In Pascal you need a lot of lines. Two short examples are:

 	X:=LOG(N)/LOG(2);	{X equal to LOG base 2 of N}
 	IF(X=INTEGER(X))...	{is X integer?}

 	or

 	IF(BitAnd(N,-N)=N)...	{literal translation?}

 	but,is this code more readable than in C?,is it more effective?
more machine independence?

Disclaimer: I love THINK Pascal,but THINK C make me crazy. I have not any
relation with Symantec Corporation (Ojala!)  (<--this is an Arabian-Spanish
word without true translation into English).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 16:56:52 -0500
From: dg@titanium.mitre.org
Subject: Concurrent ATP Requests

Is there some way I can increase the number of concurrent ATP requests I
have?  I'm trying to run MacPost on my workstation (yes I know the authors
recommend you don't do this, but I have the choice of listening to the
authors or getting my mail) and AT Server fails on me because there are
too many concurrent ATP requests..

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 02:58 PST
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Cricket Graph and the IIsi

Scott McAlister:

Do you have Cricket Graph 1.3.2?  This is the latest version.
CG was upgraded when the IIci was introduced because CG had
problems with the IIci.  Perhaps this version will help.

Of course, this graphing software is so out of date, perhaps
switching to DeltaGraph would be a better idea.  CA-Cricket
announced CG 2.0 nearly two years ago...talk about vaporware!

Gann Matsuda
BITNET: IYI4DTN@UCLAMVS
INTERNET: iyi4dtn@mvs.oac.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 23:42 EST
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FileList 1.4 on SE

About a month ago, I reqested help because the latest version of FileList
crashes on my SE. I got several ancilliary requests from other SE owners
that they had the same problem. Recently, the source code has been posted to
Info-Mac, but this doesn't help much for us users who haven't a clue as to
what a 'shell compiler' is.
Would some kind soul volunteer to download the source code from the archives,
assemble it so it works on an SE and upload it to the archives?
The main advantage of v 1.4 is said to be the ability to read .cpt file
names.
Gordon
Dohle@Vax2.Concordia.ca
Dohle@Conu2.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 03:01 PST
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Glare Screen for Apple 13" Color Monitor

Mark Saper:

Kensington makes a good anti-glare screen for the Apple 13"
color monitor.  It is a glass screen.  You can get it for around
$63.00 at Mac Connection.

Gann Matsuda
UCLA Asian American Studies Center

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 10:54:18 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Graf3D

> Does anyone know what the Graf3D library is for in Think Pascal?
> I have looked through the manual and have found no description of what the
> library should be used for. It sounds like it may be an interesting thing
> to play with if I knew what it did.

It does exactly what it sounds like it does... draw in three dimensions.
It's a bit primitive to base real 3D software on, but it works.  The code
is NOT part of THINK Pascal, but rather part of the Macintosh Toolbox, i.e.
in ROM (at least on some Mac models -- it might be in the system file on
others).  I'm pretty sure it's unsupported and undocumented as far as
Apple is concerned.

As to using this package...  I believe you just draw into a Port like
you always do in Quickdraw, except that you specify a 'z' value for each
point.  Simple enough.

Jurgen Botz               |      Internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet          ..or..
Academic Computing        |                JBotz%MHC.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 02:57 PST
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Hard Drive Vendors

Mike (CON_MDP@SELWAY.UMT.EDU)--

RE: Hard Drive vendors

All the vendors you list, except one, have suffered a lot from
numerous complaints about quality, service and tech support.
APS, on the other hand, stands out.  They provide excellent
service and quality, and their tech support, while not the best
in the world, is much better than the rest of your other vendors.
I have ordered MANY drives from them and have not had any go bad
in two years.  APS is a very good vendor, and I recommend them
highly.

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 9:56:13 EST
From: Ron MacNeil <tyrone%RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HC Serial Tool Box??

I just stumbled onto a wierd quirk in HyperCard using the serial tool box
kit. It seems it cannot send ASCII character number 0. That is not the
number or character 0 but the null character. When we type:
sendSport chartonum(0)

or

sendSport chartonum(0) & return

nothing comes out the port! Our analog to digital board connected to the serial
port needs all 256 ASCII characters, so I can't use another character in the
place of the null. Any way around this problem? Are there any other serial
ZCMDs that don't have this limitation. If worse comes to worse (I really hope
not), I can do away with char255 and use it to send the char0; are there any
XCMDs that can do what I just mentioned?
Thanx,

Ron MacNeil Display Developper for Science North
            Year II Comp Sci Student @ Laurentian U.

bitnet: tyrone@RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 91  9:47 +0100
From: stricker@pyl.unibe.ch
Subject: In search of a chooser level HP-Plotter driver

Dear Mac netters,

	I am looking for a chooser level HP plotter driver to have color
output onto a cheap color plotting device. I know that there a a few products
around but I do not know how good and expensive they are. I also know that
a plotter driver is part of CricketGraph but it is not a chooser level
driver. I need one with which you can easily setup the page format as
normal or landscape. Is there a driver around as shareware or public
domain product? Or do real Mac'ers only use LaserWriters or ImageWriters?
	Another question concerns the cabling, since the HP plotters are
configured as RS-232 and the Mac uses RS-422. Does anyone know which pin of
the Mac serial port is to be connected with the pins on the plotter side?

Any comment, clue or hint is greatly appreciated. Please send them directly
to me. Thank you and all the best

			Christian.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 1991 09:59:51 EST
From: tim%ufcia.health.ufl.edu@ricevm1.rice.edu (Tim Cera)
Subject: LINES ACROSS MONITORS

When working on a Mac SI I also noticed the line across the monitor.
It is a "undocumented feature" of ALL SONY Trinitron tubes.  The large
SUN monitors have two lines across the screen (near top and bottom),
again from SONY.  The line is caused by a wire that is used to keep the
mask in place.

I was amazed that this is being sold to Mac people in the condition it
is (and to SUN purchasers).  I found that the line was intolerable and
was amazed that the owner did not return the thing.  I unfortunately have
to work with MesSy Dos machines and the VGA monitors do not have this
problem - so why do Mac monitors?

Tim Cera
tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu

"My opinions are mine, of course."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 16:15 EST
From: Error <LEWIS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintosh Revealed and Inside Mac

cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu (Wade Williams) wrote recently that he advised
beginning Pascal programmers not to use Inside Macintosh as a beginning
tutorial, and to use Macintosh Revealed instead.
        Dogcow dootie.
        When I got started, I was rather amazed that the THINK Pascal manual
I had just bought didn't tell me how to program the machine!  (After all,
the TRS-80 I had bought years ago came with programming information...)  It
quickly became obvious that Inside Mac was required.  But as a beginning
programmer it was very slow reading. After being advised to try Macintosh
Revealed, I bought the first volume.  I found it basically a disorganized
rehash of Inside Mac, and more expensive to boot.  What finally got the
lightbulb lit was asking other programmers questions and seeing source code.
        Granted, Inside Mac is not an ideal tutorial (although it's basically
what I used as such).  But to my knowledge there is no single stellar volume
or volumes that do the job.  If you know C, then the Mac Programming Primer is
a good choice.  But Wade's statements about Inside Mac and Mac Revealed aren't
really accurate.  True, some information in volumes IV and V replaces that
in the earlier three books, but I am sure that even a beginning programer is
smart enough to skim the later books to know that something different is
coming, even if (s)he doesn't understand it yet.  In in most cases the
earlier information in the first three volumes is still accurate!  Further,
Mac Revealed is just as hard to grasp as Inside Mac can be, but with far less
organization.  My advice is to buy Inside Mac from a mail order place and
start asking lots of questions and getting lots of source code to study.
        --Andrew Lewis
        LEWIS@ITHACA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 12:20:03 EST
From: wilson@csis.dit.csiro.au (Murray Wilson)
Subject: mac sounds help required

Hello everyone,

I am having a lot of trouble trying to play sound resources.
I'm writing a new game which I hope to have work on all MacIIs,
with all systems.  Could programmers who've got experience with
sound please read this and see if you can help?

Here are the details of what I've got and what I want to do:

I have a Max IIcx running System 6.0.5 and MPW C 3.0.
In the resource fork there are about 10 'snd ' resources  They
are all of type 1.  They are also locked and preloaded.  I think
that means they should be at the bottom of the heap, and that
they should stay still.  I created them all with SoundEdit 1.0.

Early in the program, at the init stage, I make this call which
involves "chan", a global "SndChannelPtr":

(void)SndNewChannel(&chan,sampledSynth,initMono,nil);

Then, later, I have a routine, PlaySound, which is supposed to
stop any old sound which might be in progress (by disposing the
channel and reallocating it) and make a new sound (specified by
sndID).  Here it is:

void PlaySound(short sndID)
{
Handle sndHdl;

/*--- Stop old sound ---*/

(void)SndDisposeChannel(chan,true);
chan=nil;
(void)SndNewChannel(&chan,sampledSynth,initMono,nil);

/*--- Play new sound ---*/

sndHdl=GetResource('snd ',sndID);
(void)SndPlay(chan,sndHdl,true);
}

It all works perfectly, BUT about every five minutes I get a
system error with ID=11.  I'm positive it's being caused by the
sound because I removed the PlaySound function a few times and
it didn't occur over a period of several hours.  Also, it still
fails with all inits removed.

I'm sure there must be something simple I'm doing wrong, so if
anyone can help I'd appreciate it greatly.  Please reply
directly to me and I will summarize any replies and send a
message with the answers to a future info-mac digest.

My address is care of:
wilson@csis.dit.csiro.au

Thanks in advance,
    Stephen Wilson

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 91 19:43:02
From: Robert.H.Gross@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: MM Init

   After some initial difficulty, I renamed the INIT to be the first and
everything runs great.  I am running system 6.0.7 on an 8 mByte IIci and have
about 15 different INITs/cDEVs - RAM Cache set at 256k.  I have noticed a
considerable speedup in Double Helix, Finder, and FullWrite.
   It seems that forcing MMInit to be first solved the problems and eliminated
the periodic "molasses effect" I sometimes experienced (the Mac just slowed
down to a crawl - the only cure was to reboot).  Thanks for the INIT!
                                - Bob

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 1991 17:49:27 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Reply to Mike Flynn- How the Mac can survive.

Mike,

> if anybody is a developer, could you consider this idea. Try to build a
>compiler that is somewhat like hypercard. The user can design the
> interface, then select the object and have the compiler link that object
>to a function or a set of functions to exucte when used.

There WAS such a beast as you meantion. An object-oriented interface developer.
It was called Prototyper, published by SmethersBarnes... oh... probably back in
1988. It was a neat little package... let you build your interface from
basically a toolbox... and let you link fields, buttons, etc. almost in the
fashion you described. You built it as a quick prototype... then you would
actually compile the thing into real code. It didn't sell real well.

The problem is, and this is a very prevelant drawback to hypercard as well, the
developer is far too limited. Also... with the utility building the code for
you... you really don't know what the heck is going on. In other words... if
there's something you want to debug... or just rework a little (assuming the
you COULD decompile it back into interpreter code)... since you didn't build
the code in the first place, you spend hours just trying to figure out where to
start. I think the majority of developers would agree that they would prefer to
build an interface (or ANY code for that matter) from scratch... because, for
one, every developer has an ego that says that they could do it better and
cleaner than the next guy. And there's nothing like the feeling of
succeeding... of beating that code into submission.

Mike... not to be hostile... but if you don't feel that exhileration, after
you've been up three nights straight trying to get something to work, and
suddenly it falls into place... you're in the wrong business.

>We as a users of the macintosh should realize that they will be other
>computer standards that will emerge in the future and the mac is not
>forever.

Of course. Computer users would be severely set back if other standards did not
come down the line. If fact, the Mac is obsolete even next to what is just on
the horizon...

>A Clone market will insure the life of the Macintosh OS.

... but putting the machine into clonedom is not the answer. In my opinion...
clones devalue the platform the replicate. Sure, DOS is still around... but
look at how users think of them. Cheap. Cheap to the point of almost being
disposable. Many owners even think of them as basically a game machine...
something to put in the kids room. They aren't considered "powerful" any more.
And the quality of the clones certainly didn't reflect well on IBM itself...
most people related these cheap machines directly to big blue (because what's
the first name you think of when someone says "clone"). And, besides, only a
fool thinks DOS will be around forever either.

Other than perceived value, there are a number of problems with clones. First,
when purchasing the system itself... the buyer never knows quite what they're
getting. Was that a Quantum Hard Drive in there... or was that the system that
had the drive from Joe Shmoe?? Second, when buying software... there's the
question of compatibility. Will that piece of software REALLY work on that bus
that looks like a hairdryer? Opps... check the manual... "100% IBM
compatible... except in cases where it's not." Third is product support. Your
ToadStool 386 goes down. Who the heck is ToadStool?? Sorry, Sir... they went
out of business 6 months ago. Checking your documents... seems they only went
INTO business 2 months before THAT. So much for the warranty.

Now you look at the Mac. You know, within reason, EXACTLY what's in the case
before you ever even lay your eyes on it. You KNOW that it's got Motorola
chips, and an Apple card. You're 99% POSITIVE that it's got a Quantum drive.
You also know that the major portion of software (in their latest releases)
will run on whatever machine you have. There are SOME exceptions, of course,
but, generally, if the software followed Apple's original design guidelines, it
will operate on any Mac you care to slip it into. And third, product support.
Your Mac goes down. You KNOW who to call. Sure, you get a little bit of run
around. And up until last year, the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was
printed on... but even then, you KNEW who to call. And no matter what anybody
said, Apple DID care what you thought about their machines.
Somebody told me years ago (well... when the Mac II first appeared)... that if
S. Jobs still had his way, the Mac would have stayed as it was... a 9"
monochrome in a self-contained package. We all know that that would've been a
disaster. But I think people STILL would've bought them.

> I think Apple doesn't care about the low end (market)

You never did explain why you thought Apple SHOULD care about the low-end
market. Is it because, if Macs were less expensive, more people would buy
them... leading to more profits for Apple? Actually, in business, it's usually
the opposite. You see... Apple has a destinct market. This is very cost
effective. Apple knows EXACTLY who their target audience is for commercials and
print ads (which leads to some of the most innovative, polished advertising
that you'll see anywhere, in my opinion). If Apple expanded the Mac line into
REAL low-end machines (and, no, I don't consider the Classic as a low-end
machine), they would have to maintain several different target markets, each
with their own unique set of problems and circumstances... having to spend a
great deal of capital on tailored ads, tailored products, and tailored
support... and, would probably end up bankrupt within a year or two.

>i think that they should sell the crown jewels (Mac ROMs), not the new
> ROMs that are in the high end Macs, but the ROMs that were in the
>512ke, plus or even the SE

I would say DON`T sell those ROMs... not even the old ones. I would rather
Apple holds on to the control of the Mac. It assures that my product, while it
will become out-of-date (in fact, it already has)... it will never become
obsolete. My god... look at the Apple II. Vendors are STILL producing software
for it. That's what I expect from my Mac. And, yes... my ego likes the prestige
of saying I own a Macintosh. I don't want someone to ask back: "Oh... is it a
CLONE??"

Thems my thoughts. Take 'em as they lay or feed 'em to the fish.

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 09:32:02 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: slow MacIIsi !?!

On Thu, 24 Jan 91 15:57 N you said:
>I am using a MacIIsi in my office and a Mac SE/30 at home. What a
>surprise to discover that MacIIsi is slower than SE/30 !

Are you running a color monitor on the IIsi?  The difference in processor
speeds (20 vs 16 MHz) is small enough that the effort of driving a color
monitor could account for the difference (I have a friend who uses a
NuBus video card in his IIci and complains about how slow IIci's using
the internal video driver are).

>I run Oztex and MACL and both are about twice slower on MacIIsi than on
>SE/30. I thought the explanation in the memory manager bug reported
>in a previous info-mac, installad the memory manager fix init, nothing
>changed.

It might be interesting to download the Speedometer application from
the archive and run it on both machines (should be appropriate for a
relative comparison).

>Has someone on the net experienced the same thing. Should I try
>to deinstall particular inits and/or network software.

Guess (purely).  I doubt that will make a difference, but running in B&W
might.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 00:40:11 SST
From: AKISUJAR%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: THE CI SIMMS ROM

Hello from Singapore,

Still having the copatibility problems with my Mac IICi and many of my programs
due to the built-in the ROM 32bit QuickDraw. I don't think that I will be able
to get all of them upgraded soon enough. I got Excel and MS Works working but
the AutoCAD released 10 still crashed.

I wonder whether fitting the Mac SE/30 256K SIMMs ROM to the Mac IICi will, in
the mean time,let me run the programs until I can get all of them upgraded.

I notice that there is a jumper on my Ci motherboard which allowing selection
between the 'soldered on board ROMs and the SIMMs ROMS. Would any netter who
has access to both SE/30 and Ci care to try out and let all of us know the out
come?  Another question is can we buy the 256K, SE/30, SIMMS ROM from Apple and
at what price?

Regards,

Suthipuntha,
School of Architecture, National University of Singapore
AKISUJAR@NUSVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 19:49:31 EST
From: jimb@caen.engin.umich.edu (James V Burmeister)
Subject: Using Mac II video utility with IIsi

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the "Mac II Video Card Utility"
(the one that lets you output to a TV or VCR through a simple cable)
with the Mac IIsi built-in video?  The instructions say that its controls
are accessed through the "options" dialog in the Monitors cdev, but on the
si the "options" button brings up another dialog (having to do with how much
memory to reserve, etc.).

-Jim Burmeister              jimb@caen.engin.umich.edu
 Consultant
 U-M Hospitals Dept. of Surgery

"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime, doubly so.  Drink up!"
 -Ford Prefect, HHGTTG.

------------------------------

Date: 28 JAN 91 16:21:22 CDT
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: VCR CONTROL ??

Greetings From Nacogdoches--
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had some experience,
(or who has even heard of anyone) controlling a VCR with a MAC.
I don't see any problem simply starting/stopping the VCR with computer-
based commands, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to address
specific frames (similar to the way one would address a videodsc).
I"ve worked some with the old Apple IIe and BCS board, but have been
called upon to begin a project using a hypertext (Hypercard??) program
on the MAC.
Any and all comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
 --------
RON RUSHING--Supervisor, Education Media Center S.F.A. University
 Nacogdoches, TX  75962 <RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 21:01:29 EST
From: UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca

For those who seek specialized systems, i.e. like the fellow who earlier
asked about the Greek version of the OS for the Mac, most dealers who
support Apple, and have access to a CD-ROM disc, will also most likely
have the Apple CD-ROM Technical Assistance (not sure of name) discs that
Apple produces. These CD-ROMS have systems ranging from the original one
for the Apple Lisa and also Apple II System Software, but the most recent
(reasonably) versions of systems in an assortment of languages, which range
>From American, Australian, British, Canadian, Can. Fr., French, Flemish,
Swiss German, Italian, German, Greek, and the list goes on...so should you
want to have a different system...perhaps in a different language, or just
an older version...chances are that any authorized Apple Service Centre will
in fact have those in their multitude of discs.

End of Info-Mac Digest