info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/30/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 29 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:

      Blinking screen
      close folder/volume w/HC sc
      CricketGraph 1.3 on IIsi
      DeskWriter Discounts
      Fast Analog-Digital Systems Query
      Fax modems
      Freehand
      HD booting problems
      IBM files w/Mac
      Info-Mac Digest V9
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #22
      Line in Sony monitors
      MacHack 91
      Mac II LC
      MacIIsi compared to other Macs
      Mac vs. IBM
      MIDI interface schematic wanted ...
      MineSweeper for the Mac
      Norton Optimizer Quits
      Numerical Methods Hypercard Stack by Brian Arnold
      Portrait for the LC
      Programmer's Switch on IIsi
      Responder INIT?
      SFScrollInit/System 6.0.7 conflict?
      Symbol bold
      Thanks ....

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 15:19:47 EST
From: "J.P. Martinez-Soriano" <UOG00033@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Blinking screen

I would appreciate if you could post the following message in your list:

Hello Mac gurus !!!
I need some help here. My Mac Plus blinks very badly every time it accepts
a diskette into its floppy drive. It started to happen once in a while but
now it happens so often that it's starting to worry me. On one ocassion the
screen went blank for several seconds but the System didn't crash; this led
me to think that it's a hardware rather than a software problem, but who knows.

I really would appreciate if anybody could give me a hand or
have an idea of what's going on with my Mac.

Thanks a lot in advance,

J.P. Martinez-Soriano
e-mail: uog00033@UOGUELPH.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 1991 14:31:54 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: close folder/volume w/HC sc

Have heard that this is possible and would like to know how to do it.  I'm
running Hypercard under MultiFinder.  The user has opened bunch-o-folders to
select a document or a stack or whatever.  When they are in my stack, under
script control I want to close all the folders and volumes so that the desktop
looks just like it does after you rebuild the desktop.  I don't care to close
any documents left open by other applications and I don't care to re-open the
folders when I'm done with my HyperCard task.  Just want to close all folders
and volumes under script control.

Any suggestions?  If there is a Finder call that does this I could have
someone write an XCMD.  If there is an XCMD, I'd surely love a pointer to it.

Thanks,
Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning
nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 09:48:57 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CricketGraph 1.3 on IIsi

On 25 Jan 91 20:07:20 GMT you said:
>We're having a problem running CricketGraph on a IIsi.  It runs
>fine on a IIsi with 4megs, but it will not run on one with only
>2 megs.  CG's memory request size is 768K and we have over 1000K
>free.  CG just quits under MultiFinder and it gives a bus error
>under plain Finder. Any ideas??

The latest version is 1.3.2.  Earlier versions experience a variety
of difficulty (commonly not working at all) on the IIci and subsequent
Macs.  I contacted Computer Associates, 40 Valley Stream Parkway,
Malvern, Pa 19355 (215) 251-9890 and they sent me the current version
at no charge.  It works fine (although I must admit I haven't tried it
at less than 4 Mbytes).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 11:20:54 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: DeskWriter Discounts

Anyone thinking of buying the HP DeskWriter should contact Dataprint
(800-222-9707) for their catalogue. They give educational discounts and their D
W price is $577.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 14:57 EST
From: R_SCHAAF%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Fast Analog-Digital Systems Query

Greetings from Vermont..

We are looking to build a very fast computer control and data
aquisition setup to do insect flight muscle mechanics, and would
prefer to use a Mac based system. Basically, we are going to need to
be able to sinusoidally jiggle small muscle fibers up to around 1.5KHz
and simultaneously record its response from a force transducer attached
on the other side.
I've heard and seen a little of 'MacLab?' but would like to hear about
any other suggestions as well as where to get more info.
Obviously, it's going to have to be very fast, and we'll need to know
things like the max sampling rate, etc.

Thanks,
Please respond to me and I'll sum.

Ric Schaaf
Dept. of Physiology & Biophysics
University of Vermont

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 10:33:12 -0500
From: macmgr%tammy@das.harvard.edu (Mac Manager)
Subject: Fax modems

I am about to purchase a faxmodem to accompany an LC and HP SCANJET II with
sheet feeder.
1) Does anyone know of fax software/hardware which would spool incoming
   faxes directly to the laserwriter?
2) Does anyone love/hate their dovefax,prometheus or abaton software/hardware?

thanks

Andrew
macmgr@tammy.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:47 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER%IUP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freehand

Ewald Jenisch writes:

>When you import images with the "place"-Command into Freehand - how
>can you modify them after they've been imported?
>What I want is to *cut off* portions of the 'place'd image.

Use the freehand tool (or any of the other tools on the palette, for that
matter) and create a shape that encloses the part of the placed image that you
want to keep, then Cut the placed image, select the shape you just created, and
use Paste Inside from the Edit menu.  Be aware, however, that Paste Inside
makes for more complicated PostScript, so if you do this a lot in one document
you may see some long print times and even an occasional failure to print.

Mark Nutter                                                     MANUTTER@IUP
Apple Support Manager
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't look in his mouth." - Archie B.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 06:54:43 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: HD booting problems

I noticed in an old Info-mac (vol 8 no 70) that Karl Berg said that his MacII
"won't boot from a hard-drive, and when I insert a floppy disk, it boots correc
tly, but there is no hard-drive icon! So, I reboot with the floppy a couple of
times and, finally, the hard-drive starts spinning and boots the computer."

I have seen this problems pretty frequently since last summer. On one occasion,
I replaced the drivers and the HD has operated flawlessly since October or so.
Anyone seen this problem & have any ideas? Thanks- Pete
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 09:54:03 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IBM files w/Mac

On Mon, 28 Jan 1991 06:13:20 GMT you said:
>I have no experience with AccessPC, but I can note that DosMounter will try
>to write a desktop file to the IBM diskette, and therefore not be happy
>with any write protected diskettes you may meet.

One of the advantages of AccessPC.  To write a desktop file or not is
an option for unprotected disks and, naturally, isn't attempted on locked
ones.

>Other than that, It makes the dos diskette appear as a normal macintosh
>disk on the desktop (with a couple of minor things like the filenames
>are usually in all caps) to distinguish it.

One "cute" feature of AccessPC is you can associate Mac applications with
designated MeSsy DOS extentions.  For example, if name.WP is used for
Word Perfect files, I can double click name.WP on an MS Dos disk and
MacWrite II will launch and translate PC WP 5.x to MacWrite II without
further ado.

Date: Tuesday, 29 Jan 1991 15:03:31 EET
From: JACOB MATTHAN <SO-JAM%finou.oulu.fi@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9

 Niel Cordwell writes about the problem of sending shareware fees.
I had the same problem here in Finland. The method I use is risky
but I always tell the party that I am using this method.
I buy Dollars or Sterling notes in reasonable
quantities as the conversion fees in Finland are atrocious.
The banks charge 5 Dollars for buying currency. I then
send it by normal post to the authors if they live in USA or UK.
If they live outside of these countries then I ask them for an
address in these countries where I can send the letter. If the
sum is large then I register the letter.
JACOB MATTHAN
MICROELECTRONICS LABORATORY
UNIVERSITY OF OULU
OULU, FINLAND.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:40:32 PST
From: Michael O'Henly <LUX@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #22

Re: SoftPC

   I've been using SoftPC with the EGA extensions for a little while and I'm
quite impressed.  It's the computing equivalent for teaching a pig to whistle.
   To answer the question about graphics performance...  No, I wouldn't recom-
mend using SoftPC to run CAD or other graphics-intensive software.  Of course,
you probably wouldn't want to use a _real_ 8 Mhz. AT for those purposes either.
   With that one caveat, I think SoftPC does a remarkable job.  For instance,
I use the 4DOS command interpreter and all kinds of rude TSRs without any com-
plaints.  It's a little eerie the first time you see that teletype-style "DIR"
display roll up your screen (quick now! - hit that pause key!).
   A guy I work with actually had Windows 3.0 running under SoftPC (speaking of
eerie)...

   Michael.

   lux@uvvm.uvic.ca
   McPherson Library, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., Canada

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 16:20:28 EST
From: doug@end.tufts.edu (Doug Larrick)
Subject: Line in Sony monitors

This line is the wire that is used to hold the shadow mask in place, and is
*not* a defect.  It is present on all Trinitron tubes Sony makes (there are
two on the big ones, one 1/3 from the top & one 1/3 from the bottom), and
is the reason Sony can make a video tube that is not curved from top to
bottom, but only left to right, while maintaining good focus over the whole
screen.

-Doug Larrick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 19:59:18 EST
From: waldemar@ai.mit.edu (Waldemar Horwat)
Subject: MacHack 91

                                Call for Papers

                                  MacHack '91
                              June 19 - 22, 1991
                              Ann Arbor, Michigan

The MacHack '91 Proceedings Committee is soliciting papers for the sixth annual
MacHack conference.  The conference is a technical forum on the Macintosh
computer and personal computing in general and includes programming,
networking, operating system, tools, novice, business, and research tracks.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

  Future Evolution of Personal Computing
  Object-Oriented Programming
  Parallel Processing
  Intelligent Applications
  Networking
  Simulation
  Graphics and Multimedia
  User Interface Research

  Case studies
  Project Development
  Legal Aspects of Computing

  Macintosh System 7.0 and beyond
  A/UX
  OS/2 and Windows 3.0
  Macintosh Hardware and Cards
  International Programming
  Macintosh Languages and Tools

  Useful Algorithms and Hacks

Paper presenters will receive free conference registrations and special
recognition.

Please submit short abstracts (one page or less) by February 1, 1991.  Papers
are due by May 1, 1991.

ABOUT MACHACK:

MacHack '91 (also known as the Macintosh Technical Conference) is the sixth
annual MacHack conference held in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  The conference is a
technical forum on the Macintosh computer and personal computing in general and
includes programming, networking, operating system, tools, novice, business,
and research tracks.

The conference is comprised of paper presentations, speaker and panel sessions,
business seminars, roundtables and code clinics, vendor demonstrations, and a
contest.  The papers and sessions cover almost all aspects of the Macintosh,
ranging from running a software business to System 7.0 tutorials.  The
roundtables and code clinics can be prearranged or ad hoc; they provide an
opportunity to discuss a problem or an area of interest in depth with experts
>From the industry.  The 1990 MacHack conference included over fifty
presentations and sessions in addition to the roundtables, code clinics, and
vendor demonstrations.

On the fun side, many conference participants compete in a "best Macintosh
hack" contest by writing hacks.  A "hack" is defined as a small utility program
that does something useful, clever, aesthetically pleasing, or completely
pointless.  Past examples include hacks that add customizable color icons to
the Macintosh Finder, animate pictures in word processor documents, or improve
the appearance of windows.  Past hacks (many with source code) can be found on
a CD-ROM available from Expotech.  Conference attendees will be given a set of
proceedings disks that contain the 1991 hacks, and a new CD-ROM will be pressed
after the conference.

A machine room stocked with several dozen networked Macintosh IIs and other
equipment will be open and available to attendees 24 hours a day during the
conference.

Conference attendance is limited to 300 attendees (Last year the attendance was
about 250; the conference might overflow this year, so please register early).
The attendees come from a variety of backgrounds, ranging from computer science
research to business, but most share a passion for programming and using the
Macintosh and other personal computers.  A large number of Apple engineers and
managers attend the conference every year, as do many of the top third-party
software engineers.

REGISTRATION

The conference registration cost is $295 for preregistration before March 15,
1991 and $345 afterwards.  Conference registration includes 3 lunches, a
banquet, proceedings, and proceedings disks.  Student discounts are available.

Conference registration is FREE for paper presenters.

                        For more information contact:

                          Waldemar Horwat, Proceedings Chairman or
                          Aimee Moran, Expotech:

                        Expotech, Inc.
                        1264 Bedford Rd.
                        Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
                        313-882-1824

                        Internet: waldemar@ai.mit.edu,
                                  expotech@applelink.apple.com
                        CIS: 72000,400
                        AppleLink, GEnie or MacNet: EXPOTECH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 11:08 EST
From: Chris Schmechel                      <CHRIS%DUKEMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac II LC

The Macintosh LC is finally on sale at our campus computer store.
I have heard rumors about compatability problems with some software...
can anyone elaborate on that.  Also expandibility is still unknown
as to what Apple is going to do.

Chris Schmechel
Duke U.  Academic Computing

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 17:07 N
From: <INMULLER%CNEDCU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacIIsi compared to other Macs

First of all, I would like to thank the people who sent me
useful advices for understanding my MacIIsi slowliness. Some of
the suggestions was about the absence of Math coprocessor but I have
one. The others was about the load implied by using colors. Finally,
someone suggested to use Speedometer to check what is going on.
Here is the answer:

Tests with Speedometer (which, by the way, tends to bomb on MacIIsi):
Explanations:
        Whetstones and Dhrystone:       the bigger, the faster
        Sieve and Savage:               time spend in seconds
        CPU, Math, Disk:                ratio of SE speed
        MacIIC and MacIIsiC:            MacII and MacIIsi with 256 colors
        MacIIBW and MacIIsiBW:          MacII and MacIIsi with Black and White

                MacSE   MacSE/30 MacIIC  MacIIBW MacIIsiC MacIIsiBW
KWhetstones/s   ?        588.23   480.00  483.87  454.54   705.88
Dhrystones/s    ?       3816.80  2923.98 2935.42 2388.53  4545.45
Sieve           ?          6.00     7.92    7.90    6.00     4.77
Savage          ?         11.15    12.07   11.98   11.15     9.23
CPU             1.00       4.29     3.36    3.38    2.87     5.22
Math            1.00     104.80    91.93   93.57   80.62   124.76
Disk            1.00       2.67     2.52    2.48    3.28     3.46

Comments:
1.      the high Math ratio is due to the presence (and use) of the
        math-coprocessor
2.      using color on MacII has almost no impact on CPU performances
3.      in B/W mode, MacIIsi is, as expected, faster than MacSE/30
3.      using color on MacIIsi has a HUGE IMPACT on CPU performances
        almost a factor of 2, it means the CPU uses almost half of his
        time refreshing the screen (or waiting for accessing RAM).
4.      MacIIsi using color IS SLOWER THAN MacII

The feeling I have when looking at these results is to throw away my
MacIIsi right in the trash and recover my old, good MacII. It seems
to me that, at least, such a "feature" should be warned about when
selling a computer. But, maybe (I hope), I missed the right line of the
documentation.

Jean-Pierre Muller, a Deceived Mac User

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 15:13 CDT
From: Kyle Griffin -- DMLVR <KG0041A@acad.drake.edu>
Subject: Mac vs. IBM

In the debate over Mac prices and why someone wouldn't buy a
386 machine for $1200 over a $1000 Classic, I remind the person
that with the Classic, you get the networking hardware built-in,
built-in SCSI hardware, 1.4Mb 3.5" drive, 1Mb upgradable to 4Mb
USEABLE memory under current system software (no waiting for OS2)
and the always-present GUI that is distinctly Macintosh.

The choice you make just depends upon what your priorities are --
do you want a pleasant, easy-to-use machine that's easy to upgrade
and moderate on speed, or a machine that's a speed-demon, but is
far from user-friendly and is a SOB to upgrade.

As an analogy, condider cars -- why someone would choose a Honda
Accord over a Mustang -- it depends on your priorities.  Do you
want a bare-bones speed machine or a solid family car?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 14:55:51 EST
From: dcousins@bbn.com
Subject: MIDI interface schematic wanted ...

I'd like a copy of the MIDI schematics for the mac... my fax # is
401- 849-8611

thanks
dave cousins

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 10:11:22 EST
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MineSweeper for the Mac

I played a game called MineSweeper under Windows 3.0 this weekend, and am
wondering if a version exists for the Mac.  For those who haven't seen it,
it is a simple yet highly addictive game wherein you search an square
"ocean" for mines.  Each square contains either nothing, a number denoting
how many mines are adjacent to the square, or a mine.  The player may, based
on the numbers, choose to "step" on the square, or mark it as a mine.
Object of the game is to mark all the mines accurately in as little time as
possible without hitting a mine.  The game had three basic settings,
Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, which varied the size of the playing
area and the number of mines.  There was also a Custom option so the player
could choose themselves.

A great game for bending the mind.  Thanks much in advance for any info.

Gregg TeHennepe       | SysAdm, Academic Computing          | Yes, but this
gateh@conncoll.bitnet | Connecticut College, New London, CT | one goes to 11...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 13:05 EDT
From: TSUMA KAVAZI <ROSKAR@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu>
Subject: Norton Optimizer Quits

I just got Norton Utilities and ran the disk optimizer. It worked fine
until the end, when it gave me this dialog:

"The extents directory on this disk contains an invalid node--node #0
It's too deep. Optimization cancelled. Your files are safe."

The default button said FIX, the other CANCEL. Tried both.

Then I tried running disk doctor, and it found nothing. I tried the optimizer
again, and the same thing would happen. Will try tech support again later,
but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I am not afraid of using the disk editor to fix the extents directory myself.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Veljko Roskar		     Internet:  roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu
Baltimore, Maryland	     UUCP:      uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!kavazi!roskar
USA			     FAX:	+1 (301) 366-6247

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 07:58:00 PST
From: Douglas_Sly@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Numerical Methods Hypercard Stack by Brian Arnold

Can anyone help me with an address to get a copy of Brian Arnold's
NUMERICAL METHODS hypercard stack posted here some months ago?
I lost my copy and it is no longer posted in the archives.  The
stack is quite useful.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 10:32:29 -0500
From: macmgr%tammy@das.harvard.edu (Mac Manager)
Subject: Portrait for the LC

Here is what I know about LC monitor solutions.
1) Lapis technologies (415) 748-1600  has low cost full page monochrome card
   and monitor solutions.  I just ordered their LC-FPD for use with an apple
   full page display.
2) Rasterops (408) 562-4200 has a medium cost grey scale full page solution.
3) Nec Macsync does not work on the LC because the Macsync syncs on green
   and does not multisync. Other Apple on board video and video cards do
   both.  I don't know what "syncing" is, I am just relating what NEC told
   me when I called them.

Andrew
macmgr@tammy.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 91 08:32:00 MST
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Programmer's Switch on IIsi

In V9-22, zsuzsi@medcor.mcgill.ca (Zsuzsanna Bencsath) writes:

> 4.  Programmer switch equivalent on the si.
> Where is it?

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has removed the hardware programmer's
switch on the IIsi (and perhaps on the Classic and LC, but I'm not
sure about those). The effect of the Interrupt and Reset functions
is now done on the keyboard: Option-PowerOn does Interrupt, and
Cmd-Option-PowerOn does Reset (or something like that, but I'm not
absolutely sure. The PowerOn switch in the upper right corner of the
keyboard is definitely involved.)
This is documented in one of the manuals that comes with the IIsi.
Time will tell whether this is as reliable as a hardware switch.
--
Shannon Spires
Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 13:52:22 EST
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@sbccvm>
Subject: Responder INIT?

Could someone please tell me what the Responder INIT does?

                     thanks, tom prusa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 13:48:01 -0800
From: krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Subject: SFScrollInit/System 6.0.7 conflict?

Since updating to System 6.0.7 I have encountered crashes which I think are
related to SFScrollInit. Has anyone else encountered this? SFScrollInit patches
the SFGet routine so that the file lists in Open and Save dialog boxes remain
in the last scrolled position, instead of starting at the top of the alphabet
each time you open the dialog box.

Configuration:
MacIIci, 5MB RAM, 8bit internal color

Inits/Cdevs:
Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid, MacTCP, On Cue, Guard Dog, PopChar, SuperClock,
ZoomBar, ATM, SnapJot, Disinfectant Init, and the standard Apple Inits and
Cdevs. And, of course, SFScrollInit

The problem manifests itself in Save dialog boxes, but not Open dialog boxes.
As soon as I try to change folders, the system dumps. In Multifinder I get
"Application quit unexpectedly", and in Finder I get a Bus Error.

I tried removing all non-Apple Inits and Cdevs except SFScrollInit, and got the
same results. Removing SFScrollInit and nothing else eliminated the problem. I
have tried both version 1.0 of SFScrollInit, and an unknown version with a file
type of System instead of Startup.

If this was Soundmaster or The Grouch, or some other recreational Init, I'd
just live without it, but I *really* like SFScrollInit. Is there a more recent
version, a patch, or other solution to my woes?

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 15:20:17 MET
From: Anders Liljegren <andersl@snobben.teknikum.uu.se>
Subject: Symbol bold

I encountered the problem with printing in Symbol bold a couple of years ago.
For a long time I used a work-arround which consisted of having another copy
of the Symbol screen font called something different, e.g. symbo2, in my
system. When I wanted to print in Symbol bold I used Symbo2 bold instead.
This meant that the system didn't recognise the screen font Symbo2 as
corresponding to the Laser font Symbol. It then used the standard way of
printing fonts not available on the LaserWriter, namely to use the screen font
instead, just smoothing it a bit. This works quite well, even if you don't get
the same quality as with laser fonts.

I didn't solve the problem for good until I got hold of a copy of
"Apple LaserWriter Reference". The solution is described on page 29,
table 2-1 in this book. It consists of changing 1 (one) bit in the Symbol
screen font with ResEdit or some similar program. I case you don't have the
book, I will here try to describe how to do it.

1) Play it safe, make a copy of the Symbol screen font using the FontMover.
2) Start ResEdit.
3) Open the file in which you have the Symbol copy, by double-clicking on
   it's name in ResEdits window.
4) Double-click on "FOND" in the new window.
5) Double-click on "FOND Symbol ID=23" in the new window.
6) Scroll the new window until you come to "Offset to style mapping tables"
   and write down the hex number in the box. In my copy it's 274.
7) Close the last widow you opened.
8) Mark the entry mentioned in point 5, if it's not already marked.
9) Select "Open General" under the "File" menu.
10) Scroll down until you reach the address you wrote down earlier. In my case
    the address to the left should be 270. The first byte (two hex digits) to
    the right is then at address 270, the next byte is at 271, and so forth.
    The interesting byte is at address 275 = 274+1.
11) This byte is 1D in my copy. Change bit number 4 to 0, i.e. change the
    hex number to 0D in my case.
12) Quit ResEdit, saving the changes to the Symbol copy.
13) Use the FontMover to remove the Symbol font from your system and replace
    it with the modified copy.
14) That's it! You should now get both Symbol bold and Symbol bold italic on
    the Laser Writer, with full resolution.

Can someone  at Apple or Adobe tell me why this was not the default from the
beginning. According to standard for writing formulas, all vectors should be
in bold or bold italic and often you must use greek letters when you run out
of latin ones. This has created a lot of trouble for a lot of people.

Anders Liljegren                             Telephone:  Nat     18-18 31 02
Avd. f. teor. elektroteknik                              Int +46 18 18 31 02
Inst. f. teknologi, Uppsala universitet      Fax:        Nat     18-15 49 17
Box 534                                                  Int +46 18 15 49 17
S-751 21 UPPSALA
Sweden                             Internet:  andersl@snobben.Teknikum.UU.SE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:44:11 -0600
From: "V. J. Melim" <melim@mp.cs.niu.edu>
Subject: Thanks ....

Thanks to all who replied to my query about the Zapf Dingbats font. It
seems that this font is supplied with the Laserwriter. After using the
"Sneakernet" to access one of our isolated Laserwriters I was able to
obtain the font. Thanks again all ......
Regards,
	Vernon J. Melim
	Departments of Computer Science and Physics
	Northern Illinois University

	melim@cs.niu.edu
	melim@encore.mcs.anl.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 17:08:46 CST
From: John Venable <JMVENABL%SAMFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

I would like to subscribe to a list which deals with Novell networks. Any
suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

John Venable
Samford University
Birmingham AL 35229
(205) 870-2685