info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/31/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 30 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:

      [*] Graf
      [*] Keyboard Switcher 1.9.2
      Application Busy or Missing-Word
      Can one straighten out the corners on a Mac screen ?
      Chess programs for the MAC
      CIE XYZ CO-ORDINATES
      Color in HyperCard 2.0
      Color monitor with built-in degausser?
      Cursor Control
      dead external drive?
      Hebrew Word Processor
      Hierarchical Menus
      I like Checkfree
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #22
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #23
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #24
      Inside Macintosh
      Lefties (how to fix it)
      LINES ACROSS MONITORS
      looking for an application to connect to an AppleShare server
      Mac experience
      MacIIsi compared to other Macs
      Mac Survival
      PC File Access
      putting together a mac portable
      SFScrollInit
      Shareware Fees
      SI slower than SE30
      Summagraphics BitPadOne and the Mac
      VCR Control from Mac
      Virex 3.0 and Gatekeeper

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 16:44:27 EST
From: ralph@merlin.stanford.edu (Ralph Sutherland)
Subject: [*] Graf

Here is an X-Y plotting program that handles TEXT and PICT files.
It is not limited to tab separated data, as it uses a free-form
TEXT format for data.  It also knows about odd characters used
by some mainframes and is useful for plotting foreign, imported
data without normal mac spreadsheet format.  Oh, and plots can
be up to 450 inches long! (at 72 dpi)

Enjoy this shareware from "Down Under".

[Archived as /info-mac/app/graf.hqx; 192K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 14:18:10 EST
From: Jim Walker <jwwalker@csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] Keyboard Switcher 1.9.2

This is Keyboard Switcher, a free INIT/cdev which makes it easy to switch
between different KCHR (keyboard mapping) resources.  Some sample KCHRs are
included, including one for the Dvorak layout.

Changes since 1.8.1:  MasterJuggler compatibility, and some minor bug fixes.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/keyboard-switcher-192.hqx; 51K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 12:40:51 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Application Busy or Missing-Word

My name is Tim Rushing.  Paul is letting me send this message on his
account.  I manage an Appleshare network.  This semester we re-formatted
our drives and re-installed all software.  Since doing this you cannot
open documents created by Microsoft Word 4.0 by double-clicking with
the mouse.  Instead you must either open Word or at least have the Word
window open on the desktop.  I have re-installed the system (6.0.3)
and tried removing various inits.  No luck.  As far as I can tell the
server folder contents are exactly identical to a second Appleshare
network which allows you to open documents by double-clicking on them.
I plan to try re-installing the Word program  but would be open to
any suggestions anyone can offer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 JAN 91 17:06:42 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Can one straighten out the corners on a Mac screen ?

Can any of you programmers with more experience than I tell me
how to utilise the full screen including the corners which the
system rounds off at startup. I need to push into these corners
to simulate something that was written for a VGA screen.
Any help much appreciated.

George Munroe, Queens University Belfast

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 09:22:33 EST
From: hbuck@biostats.hmc.psu.edu (Harold Buck)
Subject: Chess programs for the MAC

Does anyone have opinions one way or the other on Chessmaster 2100 or
other Mac chess programs?  Please respond directly to

hbuck@biostats.hmc.psu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 13:12:42 SST
From: FK <SWKCFK%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CIE XYZ CO-ORDINATES

    I need to translate from the RGB co-ordinates (from the
Mac Color-Picker, say) to CIE XYZ co-ordinates (and vice-
versa).  I understand that I need to get information about
the chromaticity of the monitor's phosphors.
    I use the Apple Hi-Res RGB Monitor.  The local Apple
technicians tell me (through a third party) that the info
I need is "CLASSIFIED" Apple secret!!!!
   Can someone leak that bit of secret to me please.
   Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 13:14 CST
From: TURNBULL@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Subject: Color in HyperCard 2.0

	Hello again Netters
	Sorry to bother you with so many dumb questions, but this time I'm
asking for someone else, he told me that the HyperCard 2.0 documentation says
that this version accepts color yet we can't figure out how! please Help!
	If someone can help we gratly appreciate it.
Charles Turnbull
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 18:10 EDT
From: Marcelino Bernardo <BERNARDO%ESEMAC@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color monitor with built-in degausser?

I'm looking for a replacement for Apple's 13" color monitor which has a
built-in degausser for use in an NMR lab.  The fringe field from our 7 Tesla
superconducting magnet would easily mess up the screen of an ordinary Mac
monitor.  Does such a beast exist?

Please reply directly and I'll summarize to the net.

Regards,
Marcelino Bernardo
bernardo%esemac@erevax.bitnet      (please ignore the address above)
or mbernar@erenj.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 09:31 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Cursor Control

In V9, #018, <Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com> writes:

> Does anyone know how I can control the location of the onscreen cursor?

Well, I saw that some others have already answered your question.

> setting the location is not documented anywhere

It's not documented because (I think) you should never use it, since you're
going to use low-memory globals.
Anyway, I think that a lot of inits and applications access these low-memory
globals: look at Easy Access, for example. Doesn't it move the cursor this way?
And what about CursorWrap? And all those screen savers (at least Pyro! and
AfterDark), don't they periodically check the position of the cursor to see if
you've moved the cursor to a corner of the screen?

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 1991 14:56:40 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: dead external drive?

I have an internal drive that I'd like to mount in an external case.  Anyone
out there have a dead external Mac hard drive (with good power supply) that
they might sell to me so I can mount my internal into it?

Please respond to me at
kagi.kee@AppleLink.Apple.Com
or
415-843-6140

Thanks,
Kee Nethery

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 29 January 1991 10:06pm ET
From: "Leora.Druckman" <DRUCKMAN%MSU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Hebrew Word Processor

Try DAVKAH software in Chicago IL.  I don't have the number, but I'm sure that
they're listed.  If anyone has it in the U.S. they would or would know where
to get it.  BTW,  their  moto is "The chosen software" - :-).

                                Peace,

                                   Leora Druckman
                                   Druckman@MSU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 09:33 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hierarchical Menus

To: Zheng <Z.Wang@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

ResEdit doesn't allow more than one character in the Cmd-Key field, but there's
a check box near there titled "H-Menu": click it, and ResEdit will
automatically assign $1B to the key-equivalent field and will ask you the ID of
the SubMenu.
If your version of ResEdit doesn't let you use hierarchical menus either get a
new version or type some strange character in the Cmd-Key field and in the
CheckMark field, then close the resource, reopen it using "Open General" (or
"Open As Template" and choose 'MENU'), and locate the ascii code of the strange
char you entered. Change one to $1B, the other to the ID (hex) of the submenu.

Here's a sample of the code you may want to use (yes, you use Pascal, but it
shouldn't be difficult to translate it):

MenuHandle      theMenus[4];

SetUpMenus()
{
        int     i;

        theMenus[appleMenu] = GetMenu(appleID);
        AddResMenu( theMenus[appleMenu], 'DRVR' );
        theMenus[fileMenu] = GetMenu(fileID);
        theMenus[editMenu] = GetMenu(editID);
        theMenus[sampleMenu] = GetMenu(sampleID);
        for ( (i=appleMenu); (i<=sampleMenu); i++ )
                InsertMenu(theMenus[i], 0);
        InsertMenu(theMenus[hierMenu], -1); /* This is the hierarchical menu */
        DrawMenuBar();
}

Hope this helps,
Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 1991 16:58:35 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: I like Checkfree

Don't know about MacMoney or Quicken but I do know about Checkfree.  Saw a
demo on the Nautilus CD-ROM magazine and figured it was worth getting.

I write a bunch of checks to the same places each month (rental properties)
and Checkfree allows me to essentially do a wire transfer from my normal
checking account to these check receivers.  Checkfree either actually does a
wire transfer or it laser prints a check and snail mails it.  Cost per month
for me is about equal to my stamp costs.  The nice thing is the record
keeping.  Even if I never used the wire transfer stuff, the record keeping for
my personal check book is very nice.  Oh yes I have complaints but in general,
it's saving me time and will make tax time much easier next year.

Kee Nethery
nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 91 04:43:09 GMT
From: omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #22

>Harry Bates writes:
>>A friend of mine has just picked up an old 128K machine. When he tries
>>to boot it he gets and error message #040800. Can anyone tell me what
>>this means??

>The "04" means one of the RAM chips is bad (failed the "Mod3" test, whatever
>that is).  The "0800" is the number of the chip that failed.  I believe this
>means the motherboard has to be replaced.  Considering the number of apps that
>run on a 128K Mac, I recommend he replace it by upgrading.

Hey, don't replace the motherboard - replace the chip!

Replacing the motherboard will cost you much more, the chip will cost you
<$10.  Your 128K is well out of warranty (unless you're carrying Applecare,
in which case, Apple will fix it anyway), so you don't have to worry about
voiding anything.  Fixing your original motherboard will allow you to
investigate other 3rd party upgrade options and if you still want to upgrade,
you can trade in a working board.

It's not hard to replace a chip on the analog board, provided you've used
a soldering iron before, if you haven't, find a techie friend.  Besides, it'll
only cost you $10.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 22:51:40 -0500
From: jeffrey templon <templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #23

In article <9101292009.AA19187@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
>From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
>Subject: Can you do it in Pascal?

I don't want to get into arguments about C vs. Pascal vs. FORTRAN vs. BASIC.
I did want to briefly comment on your points about code readability.

> 	A challenge: try to code into Pascal a number test to check if N is
>a power of two. In C:
>
> 	if( (N & -N)==N ) ...		/* Is N a power of 2? */
>
> 	It's unreadable, but it's simple and full readable if you know
>Boole's algebra.

The problem with this is that someday, SOMEONE else will have to read your
code and unless you are VERY CAREFUL to include comments like you did above,
you will cause many hours of grief to someone trying to understand and
modify your code.  This might not apply if you are a private programmer
who sells binary executables to customers but it certainly applies in group
programming situations and in scientific environments.

> 	In Pascal you need a lot of lines. Two short examples are:
>
> 	X:=LOG(N)/LOG(2);	{X equal to LOG base 2 of N}
> 	IF(X=INTEGER(X))...	{is X integer?}

Hmmmm.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this code is
not guaranteed to work!  The result of the first assignment is going to
be a real number.  It may differ slightly from what you'll get by
INTEGERizing X and converting it back to REAL in the comparison (I am a
FORTRAN programmer mostly so I may have the specifics wrong.)  Again this
is a 'clever trick' like doing the Boolean algebra above, and it has
potential problems with both being readable by someone else and with being
correct.  A better solution might be some algorithm to test all
the powers of two until the test value becomes larger or until equality
is found. The BIT test is a good solution too but MUST be commented properly
for its significance to be clear.

I speak from experience of getting bit with this sort of thing many times.
If you want it on higher authority, though, you might try checking out the
excellent book "The Elements of Programming Style" by Kernighan and Plaugher.
I think this makes excellent reading and advice for anyone who programs.

Probably this discussion should be in comp.lang.misc, but I was really
worried about these examples and also felt strongly about presenting
another viewpoint about program readability.

				Jeff Templon
			Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 16:51:09 EST
From: Amanda Walker <amanda@visix.com>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #24

Jean-Pierre Muller writes:
> The feeling I have when looking at these results is to throw away my
> MacIIsi right in the trash and recover my old, good MacII.

Or you could just put your Mac II video board into your IIsi...

The tradeoffs of internal video have been common knowledge since the
IIci was released.  It's unreasonable to expect a IIsi to provide *all*
of the performance characteristics of, say, a IIcx, at a lower cost.
You get what you pay for.  Personally, I am extremely happy with my IIsi.
For what I use it for (programming, text editing, and Adobe Illustrator),
it's quite pleasantly faster than the Mac II I used to use.  Of course,
I run the video in 1-bit mode, to increase speed and maximize the
available memory (for comparison, I also ran the Mac II in 1-bit mode
for speed reasons).  If I want high performance color, I'll buy a NuBus
board, just like in any other Mac II.

Amanda Walker
Visix Software Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 09:32 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Inside Macintosh

In V9, #019, N. Herring (nherring@eleazar.dartmouth.edu) asks:

> Is Inside Macintosh going to have a new edition sometime in the near future?

Sure; Inside Macintosh volume VI is in the works - or maybe it's already been
published, you know, here in Italy news aren't that fast (I just received the
December '90 issue of MacWorld).

> Is Inside Macintosh available in electronic copy?

Yes, you can find it on the Developer's CD series, from APDA, it's a HyperCard
equivalent of the hard-copy edition. It's called spInsideMacintosh.
You can also find on that CD InsideMac Volume VI, the sixth volume of Inside
Macintosh, another HyperCard stack.

Hope this helps,
Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 91 19:36:00 EDT
From: "MCGEE, DAN" <maclab@ucis.vill.edu>
Subject: Lefties (how to fix it)

After reading numerous rather interesting articles on why left handed peopl
don't like the mouse pointer, I thought I might add a little info that I found.

	For those of you who understand and use ResEdit, you know that you
can change the pointer icon to be a backwards arrow with the tip as the
point very easily.

	If you don't use or like ResEdit, I have seen that ClickChange
has a letf handed arrow already designed in it. This program pre-empts the
Mac OS at times, and will replace any of the system cursors with anything that
you want (one of the already designed cursors being the left handed arrow).
I have had no compatibility problems aside from the sound area seemingly
causing problems with 6.0.7, but I have not really tested that theory, so it
may not be ClickChange at all.

hope this helps some...
bill cockayne
Internet: maclab@ucis.vill.edu
Bitnet: maclab@vuvaxcom
AppleLink: ST0666

Disclaimer: I don't even own ClickChange, it belongs to a friend of mine. I
saw it on his machine. (Though I would be more than happy to endorse the
product if anyone were to ask.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 07:13:50 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: LINES ACROSS MONITORS

>I was amazed that this is being sold to Mac people in the condition it
>is (and to SUN purchasers).  I found that the line was intolerable and
>was amazed that the owner did not return the thing.  I unfortunately have
>to work with MesSy Dos machines and the VGA monitors do not have this
>problem - so why do Mac monitors?

Any VGA compatible monitor based on a Sony Trinitron tube will also have
the faint line.  So it has nothing to do with whether it is a Mac monitor
or a "MesSy" DOS monitor.

I've used a lot of different monitors and I wouldn't trade a Sony Trinitron
for any other tube, including the best from NEC.  The image is very sharp,
stable, and consistent on Sony Trintrons - I have not seen any other monitor
that is as easy on my eyes.  The line(s) caused by the manufacturing
process is so faint that it does not bother me.

I expect that if Apple or Sun could find a tube that they think is better
they'd use it.  But, of course, if Sony can figure out how to make tubes
without the line(s) it could only improve their sales. ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 08:25:40 EST
From: Jason <jblue@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: looking for an application to connect to an AppleShare server

Hi netters,

I am looking for an application that, once launched, will automatically log on
(using the Guest feature) onto a server and mount its volume.

Specifically, I would much appreciate it if the Zone the server is on, the
server's name, and the volume's name, are all configured using ResEdit, and not
a selection made by the user who launched the application.

If such an application does not exist, how about Think C source on how to
connect, log on, and mount an AppleShare volume?

Please respond if you know of anything of this sort.  If you reply directly to
me, I'll summerize to the net.

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 08:05:50 EST
From: sue@gdstech.grumman.com (Sue Scheck)
Subject: Mac experience

Does anyone have any experience with the Macintosh IIsi or the Mac LC,
good or bad, to relate?  Also, I was told that a NuBus adapter or math
coprocessor was required by applications such as Quark XPress and
Aldus graphics packages that run oOBn the Mac; is this absolutely
necessary or just a nice feature to have?  Any
comments, advice, warnings or experiences regarding the Mac and desktop
publishing/graphic design software used on it would be appreciated.
Thanks.   Sue Scheck.
Please respond to sue@gdstech.grumman.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 21:58:18 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacIIsi compared to other Macs

On Tue, 29 Jan 91 17:07 N you said:
>4.      MacIIsi using color IS SLOWER THAN MacII
>
>The feeling I have when looking at these results is to throw away my
>MacIIsi right in the trash and recover my old, good MacII...

It's not necessary to get THAT drastic.  Take the NuBus color card out
of the old MacII (I hope you got the NuBus adapter and not the 30 Direct :-)
and put that in the IIsi.  With a separate color card, the IIsi will
deliver just about the same performance in color as it does in B&W
(as the old Mac II did).

<I was the person that suggested the Speedometer test; thanks for going to
the trouble; I learned something too -- I can benefit in the same way with
a NuBus color card in my IIci>

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 15:00:42 EST
From: ajm@cc.williams.edu (Andrew Mauer)
Subject: Mac Survival

Recently, Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com expressed his belief that
Apple should not permit Macintosh clones, and that the Apple users are better
off that way.

I would beg to differ with this opinion. Looking at the IBM market, I see
something relevant to this topic:

	Despite the fact that there is essentially no difference between
the product that IBM manufactures and some clones (indeed, if you choose the
right clone, the warrantees are better), MANY companies and schools continue
to purchase the more expensive IBM equipment simply for the name and some
fiction of "compatibility".  (I mean most 100% compatibles are that. 100%.)

	Claims of "better service" to the contrary, people are being ripped
off. I (and many others) will willingly give up Apple's Holy Warrantee in
order to save myself several hundred dollars in SIMM costs. (Does Apple still
charge $100 for a 1 meg SIMM?? Even though SIMMs are basically a commodity
now an worth less than half of that?)

	Computer buyers are NOT fools. Those who think they don't know what
is going on are likely to buy brand name. Those who brave the world of
consumer reports can easily find out who makes good disk drives and whose
are junk.

	Comparing the Apple market to the IBM market, I almost dispair.
I believe that for a little over $2000, one can get a 386/25 with VGA and an
80meg drive. What does that get you in the Macintosh market? I have not
followed the latest down-pricing, but it used to get you a Macintosh SE with
a 20meg drive and an Imagewriter II, if you bought with a discount.

	One last thing: Mr. Steinhilber asks why APPLE should care about
entering the low end market. I would respond that I don't care what Apple
wants; as a consumer *I* want a cheap low-end computer. And hundreds like me.
The consumers have a responsibility to try to direct the market where
THEY want it to go, rather than let the market's giants decide what will
make them the most excess profit.

Andrew Mauer
ajm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 18:39:03 CST
From: John Venable <JMVENABL%SAMFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC File Access

I have had occasion to use both Access PC(APC) and DOS Mounter(DM) and can say
that Access PC is superior in several respects. First, you don't
have to remove write protection in order to mount the disk, as with DOS
Mounter. Second, APC is able to effectively mount very full floppies, where-
as DM cannot. Third, APC includes a capability to format DOS floppies, altho
I've not tested this feature yet. Fourth, if you're using SoftPC, APC can
mount the virtual C: drive and treat it just like any other volume.

In summary, unless there are obscure bugs I've yet to encounter, APC is
a definitely superior product.

John Venable
Samford University
Birmingham AL 35229
(205) 870-2685
BITNET JMVENABL@SAMFORD

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 17:54 EST
From: "LOVE YOUR MOTHER.....IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WE HAVE" <IRC_AR@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: putting together a mac portable

I am looking to buy an SE/30 and having the mother board taken out and put
into a non-mac portable. I wish to be able to connect the portable to a color
screen at home.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Cost esitmates? or other
useful information?

THANKS

Drew

ARAK@OLLIE.CLARKU.EDU internet

or ARAK@CLARKU bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 08:44:31 -0800
From: krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Subject: SFScrollInit

I posted a note yesterday about problems that appeared to be related to a
conflict between SFScrollInit and System 6.0.7. At the suggestion of a
comp.sys.mac.system reader in Wisconsin (who shall remain nameless due to my
overeager delete key) I downloaded Boomerang 2.0 from the U.Michigan archive
(35.1.1.43). Works great, and does what SFScrollInit did, plus a whole bunch
more. Thanks!!

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 00:39:21 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shareware Fees

this involves expensive cheque charges, I offer a few suggestions. It
would be nice to hear what sharewaremongers (hem) have to say about them.

Alternative Ways of Paying your Shareware Fees
=====
1. You could shop around for better prices at different banks.
2. You could pray that the U.S. gets wise to the notion of EuroCheques.
3. You could send cash in francs plus 10% and let the mongers take it to
   their own banks. Send a nice note explaining why. Most people are
   reasonable and many Americans never get further than Kansas and haven't
   seen foreign scrip before. (I have nothing against Kansas.)
4. Become a student and let the Bank of Ireland give you free cheques.
   That's what I did. (Even if I didn't it's only L2.00 (Fr 17, $3.50) here.)
5. Buy dollars in cash (instead of a cheque) and send them registered
   mail. You'll still pay extra, but maybe not quite so much as you
   would buying the international cheque.
6. Send chocolate. It seems to me that the shareware concept could be
   extended to trade in kind as well as trade in cash. I know money is
   tight these days, but really, you end up spending it on chocolate
   anyway, don't you? (I think the idea here is that a shareware author
   wouldn't be playing very fair if he insisted that someone spend
   $17 in cheque fees to register for a $12 DA.)

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 11:34:37 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: SI slower than SE30

One additional reason the SI is sometimes slower than an SE30,
according to the latest issue of MacUser, is that it contains a
slightly slower hard disk.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 91 19:43:00 EDT
From: "MCGEE, DAN" <maclab@ucis.vill.edu>
Subject: Summagraphics BitPadOne and the Mac

I have an RS232 Summagraphics BitPadOne and was wondering if someone might
be able to tell me how to connect it to the Mac.
	The manual explains that it is acting like a 19 200 baud terminal to
DOS machines that we have connected it to, but I do not know how to make the
Mac recognize it in such a configuration.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 13:41:41 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: VCR Control from Mac

You will want to check out the new PC-VCR from NEC. This is a
S-VHS machine which uses a proprietary time-code to address frames
on video tape. (You can even add the time-code to existing tapes).
NEC is also providing XCMD's and a basic DA for Macs. The control
mechanism is via serial port. List price is $2100 (!).

NEC told me that the PC-VCR has a special high-speed transport for
locating frames based on frame address.  They also said that they
do NOT recommend it for frame-by-frame animation applications,
due to wear on the transport.  Although the blurbs say the drive
is "frame-accurate", a review in a video systems magazine which
I was shown (I didn't keep a copy) said the deck only did +/-5
frames in trials.  This is strictly a rumor, discuss it with NEC
if you're serious.

NEC can be reached at

NEC Technologies, Inc.
Professional Systems Division
1225 Michael Drive
Wood Dale, IL 60191-1094
708/860-9500 or 800/562-5200 ext. NEC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 14:39:22 GMT
From: kerr@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Stan Kerr)
Subject: Virex 3.0 and Gatekeeper

I have experienced strange behavior from Gatekeeper 1.1 since I installed the
Virex 3.0 init a few days ago; it complains incessantly about things I
told it to allow; the configuration menu says that the things it
objects to are allowed. As soon as I disabled the Virex init, the odd
behavior ceased. I haven't yet called Microcom; has anyone else seen such
behavior?

End of Info-Mac Digest