info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/01/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 31 Jan 91       Volume 9 : Issue 26

Today's Topics:

      [*] AppleTalk Manager program
      [*] MacSnoop 1.5.5
      [*] Monty Python Sounds
      Application Busy or Missing-Word
      availability of nubus adapters for MacIIsi
      Chessmaster 2100
      Hebrew and other "Right to left" word processing
      IIfx problems with MacTCP, NCSA Telnet, tn3270 (HELP!!!)
      IM and learning to program...
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #22
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #25
      Mac Survival (2 msgs)
      Macwrite II document,bad file format?
      PC File Access
      pop-ups (in dialogs)
      Serious bug in HyperCard 2.0v2
      The Learning Company
      THINK connection
      Where to get computer books

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 28 Jan 91 14:51:00 CDT
From: "SYSTEM MANAGER" <system@biovax.uchicago.edu>
Subject: [*] AppleTalk Manager program

	Here is a partially complete AppleTalk Manager Program.  Its does
all NBPLookup, Zone and Bridge Locations, Sorting and Saving of all NVE's
found.  AppleTalk Echo Protocol is also included, however take a look at
the README file for more info on this and other stuff.

Robin Jackson (312)-702-3674, jackson@biovax.uchicago.edu
                              system@biovax.uchicago.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/appletalk-manager.hqx; 70K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 91 19:54 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] MacSnoop 1.5.5

This is a new version of MacSnoop 1.5.5, the disk and file editor.

It looks very much like the old ResEdit, but it's very good and I have
encountered no bugs with it yet.

It is supposed to be demo version but I haven't yet found out what the
'demo' is.

MacSnoop is shareware ($25) and available from:

Evergreen Software, Inc.
15600 NE 8th Street, Suite A3126
Bellevue, WA  98008
United States of America
(206) 483-6576 {PST}

You can contact the author, Art Shumer at:

AppleLink - SCHUMER.ART,         MacNet - SCHUMER
America Online - ARTSCHUMER,     CompuServe - 76004,557
GEnie - GPSART,  Delphi - GPSART ^

I have absolutely nothing to do with either Evergreen Software or with the
author.

Enjoy,

Gary

[Archived as /info-mac/util/mac-snoop-155.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 91 16:42:01
From: Nathan.Herring@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [*] Monty Python Sounds

In this Stuffit 1.51 archive are six Monty Python sounds in SoundEdit datafile
format.  Originally, this was to be the second of two parts.  Unbinhex and
unstuff 'em and enjoy!

nh (nherring@eleazar.dartmouth.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/monty-python-2.hqx; 238K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 09:39:05 CST
From: "Bill Frazier" <GG.WSF@isumvs.iastate.edu>
Subject: Application Busy or Missing-Word

>... Since doing this you cannot open documents created by Microsoft
> Word 4.0 by double-clicking with the mouse.  Instead you must
>either open Word or at least have the Word window open on the
>desktop. ...
>any suggestions anyone can offer.

Some weeks ago, I upgraded the system on my IIci to 6.07.
Afterward, I noticed the same problem.  Since I'm not a frequent
user of WORD, I didn't pay much attention.  A few days ago, I
realized that I'd just opened a WORD doc without having the window
open beforehand.  The only thing that I can think of which might
have fixed the problem is that I had rebuilt my desktop (for an
unrelated reason).  I suspect that the desktop manager had somehow
lost track of WORD.

Bill F.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 20:50:21 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: availability of nubus adapters for MacIIsi

Hi. A question re the IIsi.
   I'd like to hook a monochrometwo-page monitor to a SI.I need a NUBUS
adapter to hook into the two-page video card. Are NUBUS adapters
available only from Apple or do other companies sell them.
                                  I want a 68882 FPU math coprocessor
as well (which snaps into the NUBUS adapter). Is this chip sold
separately or is it bundled in with the NUBUS adapter. Finally, any
idea on educational prices for the adapter and coprocessor? Thanks a lot
Marshall Carroll Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU
                 BITNET  : NU163467@NDSUVM1
p.s. Do you think mail order companies (MACZone for example) might
be calling the adapter and coprocessor by different names (explaining
why I can't find these parts listed anywhere)?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 1991 10:25:06 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: Chessmaster 2100

hbuck@biostats.hmc.psu.edu (Harold Buck) writes:

>Does anyone have opinions one way or the other on Chessmaster 2100 or
>other Mac chess programs?

Unfortunately, there are only 2 chess programs I know of for the Mac, and it
seems neither is very good.  I've never used Sargon IV but I've heard it's
poor.  Of course, at a street price of less than $30, you wouldn't lose *much*
checking it out.  (But I'd rather read about it here first.  Hint, hint.)

I have CM 2100 and I don't recommend it.  I'm not a strong chess player so I
can't really comment much on its playing ability.  However, I can comment on
the programming: it's awful.

Some particulars:
  o The position analysis feature seems not to work at all.  If you try to
    "analyze to printer" you get the most amazing garbage on your Imagewriter.
  o The command to load a new chess set (to replace the default set) crashes
    my Mac.
  o The options for different play levels are confusing, and for the most part
    it's not clear I've gotten them to work.  At times I've selected, say, 5
    minutes minimum per move and it would still make all its moves immediately.
    The manual says it will sometimes move in less than the minimum time if
    further analysis is pointless (e.g. if a move is forced) but that doesn't
    seem to explain what I've seen.  Certainly I have gotten it to change its
    playing level, but not in an obviously consistent way, and I have no
    confidence that the level shown is really the level being used.
  o If you set up a position where the computer is to move, there seems to be
    no way to tell the computer, OK, start thinking about your move.  You can
    force it to move immediately, but of course it may pick a lousy move.
  o I once got into a position -- K, R, and pawns against K and pawns -- where
    the program would not allow me to make some obviously legal moves.  The
    error message was "That move would leave your king in check."  Completely
    wrong.
  o This is mere rumor, and it wasn't true in my case, but: I have heard that
    some shrinkwrapped copies of CM 2100 were virus-infected.

(This is on an SE/20 with System 6.0.2 and Multifinder; I may have tried
Monofinder too).

It baffles me why there is such a complete lack of good chess software for the
Mac.

                                                   Rich Holmes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 09:24 EST
From: HERREN@midd.cc.middlebury.edu
Subject: Hebrew and other "Right to left" word processing

Someone asked for the address of the Davka Company:

Davka Corporation
7074 N. Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60645
312-465-4070

They carry several right-to-left script editors and DTP packages and have
been very good with support for us.

-David Herren

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 16:25 CST
From: DMONEY@ducvax.auburn.edu
Subject: IIfx problems with MacTCP, NCSA Telnet, tn3270 (HELP!!!)

Maybe this has been discussed before and the answer is obvious, but,
having little hope of ever getting a IIfx, I probably ignored any
postings on IIfx problems.

I'm having problems with NCSA Telnet, tn3270, and/or MacTCP. Let me warn
you that I am not a networking person. I was using the above mentioned
software on a Mac IIcx, and had no trouble going through our FastPath to
access our DECVAX and IBM Mainframe. I somehow managed to get a IIfx this
week, and I can't seem to get this software to work. I copied EVERYTHING
(including the older system) over to my new mac, but I keep getting a
"Local Host or Gateway Not Responding" message. The NCSA Telnet software
seems to run okay, but just can't get through. I don't know if I need
to do something different to the configuration files, the MacTCP setup,
or what.

If anybody has any suggestions, please e-mail me at the addresses below.

Thanks to all who can help,

Dean Money
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University, Ala.
dmoney@auducvax.bitnet
dmoney@ducvax.auburn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 21:44 EDT
From: "G. Watts -- Rochester" <WATTS@urpas>
Subject: IM and learning to program...

Hi y'all,

  My two cents on learning to program the Mac internals.  I got IM vols one
through 5.  That is all I have used.  I had a *big* help, however: Think C 4.0
class library.  This allowed me to ignore things like event loops, etc. until I
was ready for them.  The class library allows me to work on the system stuff
for the app I am working without having to learn the basic support functions.

  I should also say there have been a number of bugs that I would have avoided
had I done everything myself -- but I think I have learned much quicker that I
might have otherwise.  Infact, I had version Think's version 3, and I never did
any programming -- 4 made it painless enough for me to tackle.

  Looking back, it seems like this is just one big plug for Think C 4.0.  That
isn't what it was intended to be; I'm sure MacApp is fine.  Further, I did
a great deal of help from this net (and programmers who did it the hard way!).
I have also done a great deal of system programming on VAXs before.  I do agree
with the observation that Inside Mac isn't a tutorial (but should it be?).

	Gordon.

Gordon Watts
INET: gwatts@rutphy.rutgers.edu		<-- please note "gwatts", not "watts"!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 20:31 EST
From: betz@masa.com (Thomas Betz)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #22

On Sat 26 Jan 91 22:47:17-PST
Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu> said
with regard to the Subject: bus errors on IIsi

|If a certain app keeps crashing with a bus error on a IIsi, I'd put my
|money on the app not being 32-bit clean, not on a problem with the
|machine.  Call the publisher, explain the problem, and ask if there's an
|update.

That's quite interesting;  I recently installed a QMS PS410 on
our IIsi, and while installing its utilities, attempted to copy a
folder of sample Postscript files from floppy to its
Apple-supplied internal HD.  The IIsi repeatedly bombed with just
such a bus error, no matter whether I copied the folder, individual
files from within the folder, copies of the files that I put into a
new folder on the floppy (yes, I could copy on the floppy with no
problem) or the new folder itself, when it had those files in it.
This is the only example of a bus error I have yet come up against.
I have yet to find another file or folder that gives me this
trouble.

Norton told me there was nothing wrong with the floppy;  and when
I installed a Classic two weeks later, I was able to copy the
same folder from the same floppy to the Classic's external
Syquest drive with no problem.

I was also able to print those Postscript files from the floppy
on the IIsi with no problem;  it was only when I tried to copy
them to HD that it bombed.

Do I have a defective machine?

--
 -------------           "Healt ut industri di go hond-e-hond."
Tom Betz     | -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 19:33:48 EST
From: "Michael Lehnertz (Drummer)" <PYC102%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #25

   I am looking for a PICT, MacPaint or whatever file of a picture of
   Rhode Island. I have checked various servers and can't find a thing.
   If anyone has one, or can make one, I would be appreciative.

                                            - Drummer -

   (PYC102 at URIACC.BITNET)
Acknowledge-To: <PYC102@URIACC>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 19:38:31 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Mac Survival

Well... I read Andrew Mauer's (ajm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu) response to my post
that Apple should continue to not allow clones of the Mac architecture with
great interest. Thank you, Andrew, for your opinion. I respect it.

However, I found that he failed to make any valid arguments to counter my
contention. He states:
>Despite the fact that there is essentially no difference between the
>product that IBM manufactures and some clones ... MANY companies and
>schools continue to purchase the more expensive IBM equipment ...

First, I'll agree with the statement wholeheartedly. However, how is this an
argument for Apple to allow cloning??

I'd have to completely disagree with Andrew's statement "most 100% compatibles
are that. 100%". This is NOT true. Most 100% compatibles are 98 to 99%. That's
why they call them clones. Of course, the 1 or 2% only comes into play usually
when a user (or the kloogy software they're running) does something really
hokey... and, I'll admit, that it very, very, very,VERY rare (on quality
machines)... but, again, that's beside the point.

And the following:
>Comparing the Apple market to the IBM market, I almost dispair.
>I believe that for a little over $2000, one can get a 386/25 with VGA
>and an 80meg drive. What does that get you in the Macintosh market?
>I have not followed the latest down-pricing, but it used to get you a
>Macintosh SE with a 20meg drive and an Imagewriter II, if you bought
>with a discount.

Yes... this is an argument that Mac users have had to put up with since the 128
was introduced... and it's not likely to cease. I always tell people it's like
comparing apples and oranges (actually, to get away from the terrible pun, I
usually say: it's like comparing pigs and chickens... depends on the audience).
One can't compare them. I've heard many users, even in posts to info-mac,
rationalize how, in actuality, the prices are more similar than most people
think. Just today, one post pointed out that, in order for a DOS machine to
truly be compared to the Mac's price, one has to add the cost of a SCSI card,
printer port, and an RS-232 modem connection... making them somewhat closer in
cost. A valid point... and I suppose you'd really than have to add the cost of
Windows on top of THAT... but I don't really look at it like that.

You see, if I can use the analogy that yet ANOTHER netter used today (for a
somewhat different situation)... the computer market is a lot like the
automobile market. You can buy a Hyundai... or you can buy a Vector. One is
basically an adequate, inexpensive utilitarian-style clone, and one is a
highly-specialized vehicle. Hyundai makes several classes of vehicles to target
different markets. Vector basically produces one car, for an extremely NARROW
audience. Now, some would blast my selection of a Vector for use in this
comparison... for it's performance far surpasses that of the Hyundai. There
really isn't a correlation to the performance difference between the Mac and
DOS (being a Mac owner, I would immediately hit them over the head with their
accelerator card for even thinking such a thing, but... ). I would happen to
like the Vector even if it didn't run like a bat out of... well, you know. But,
for the sake of fairness, let's not say Vector... let's say Avante. The
correlation is a little closer... and my argument will still be valid.

Even when given enough money to purchase the Avante, many would still opt for
the Hyandai. It IS cheaper, so you have more cash for options... or just to put
in your pocket. It's a heck of a lot easier to drive down city streets and
park. Getting a scratch in the paint wouldn't be a major trauma. It's easier to
service (though service might actually cost MORE). A little more reliable. And
you don't have to fill up the tank as often.
   So why would anybody buy the Avante? It's got a little more style. It
effortlessly glides down the freeway. You don't feel the bumps and potholes in
the road like you do in a Hyandai. People notice it... that matters to a lot of
people. And, it's crafted with a lot more care. (When you think about it, all
this really DOES have correlations with the Mac vs. DOS)
   Were there clones of the Hyandais? Certainly. Metro, Sprint, Yugo... etc.
The Hyandai was originally a clone itself.
    Were there clones of the Avante? Not really.
   Do people buy the Hyandai? In great masses.
   Did people buy the Avante? Eh... so so. But they're STILL buying it. Almost
40 years later. The dang plant is still in production.

Now, what do you think would happen if you went to Avante (or Vector) with Mr.
Mauer's "as a consumer *I* want a cheap low-end (automobile). And hundreds like
me. The consumers have a responsibility to try to direct the market where THEY
want it to go" attitude? They'd laugh in your face and tell you to go buy a
Hyandai. Why do people think computers are any different?
Andrew, the view of business and marketing you present is backwards. You as a
consumer are ENTITLED, not privileged, to buy any darn product you want. But,
as the song goes, you can't always GET what you want. Sometimes you can't
afford it. That doesn't obligate the producer of said product to offer you
something you CAN afford. And I use the word `afford'... but that doesn't
always mean monetarily.

The whole hoopla over the Portable made me spin. People cried out for a
cutting-edge display they could read, some astronomical battery life, if users
got a mainframe in that case, it still wouldn't have been enough power... but
Apple delivered. They used the super-twist display which cost a bundle to
research, develop and manufacture... they put in incredible batteries by
today's standards which, again, nobody else would touch because of the cost of
R&D and manufacturing... they heard users scream for a full-size keyboard...
Apple went a step further and put in an EXTENDED keyboard. The machine came out
and everybody complained that it was too expensive and too heavy. What did they
expect? And even the Classic. Everyone wanted a cheap Mac. But now many users
are complaining it's not as POWERFUL or expandable as the more expensive
machines. You have to sacrafice SOMETHING.

The Portable and the Classic are two examples of Apple bowing to the
"responsibility" of consumers trying to "direct the market where they want it
to go". The Portable could very easily have thrown Apple into bankruptcy. But
the company showed it was strong. Stronger than some people thought. And that's
why the Macintosh will survive. The Mac will evolve. Perhaps Apple will give up
the name "Macintosh" when it moves on to technology that superceeds it (like a
car manufacturer drops certain model names in favor of new ones)... but
whatever they call it, the Mac will be there. They don't need clones to
propagate the species. I still maintain that clones would cheapen the Mac. That
it would actually start to turn people OFF of the Mac itself; when the cheap
imitations didn't perform up to the standards that Apple held for it's own
machines. And then we'd be left with even less of a software, user, and
technical base then we have now.

But, as I say... that's MY opinion. Now if someone wants to buy me a Vector...

Carl Steinhilber
Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 23:25:30 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Wed, 30 Jan 91 15:00:42 EST you said:
>Recently, Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com expressed his belief that
>Apple should not permit Macintosh clones, and that the Apple users are better
>off that way.

The argument is moot.  As reported in this week's InfoWorld and PC Week,
someone (Nutek Computers of Cupertino) has finally gone to the trouble
of independently developing clone chips for Mac ROM and NuBus (along with
an operating system based on a reconfiguration of the Open System Foundation's
Motif interface -- MultiFinder and all).  About to be licensed to clone
makers everywhere :-)

>    Comparing the Apple market to the IBM market, I almost dispair.
>I believe that for a little over $2000, one can get a 386/25 with VGA and an
>80meg drive. What does that get you in the Macintosh market? I have not
>followed the latest down-pricing, but it used to get you a Macintosh SE with
>a 20meg drive and an Imagewriter II, if you bought with a discount.

On the other hand, VGA only give you 16 colors (256 is extra), the math
coprocessor is an expensive extra, the GUI interface is extra (and LOTS
slower), it takes more RAM to do the same job, and for the time being
there's not NEARLY the same level of integrated software.  Aside from
that, 386/486 boxes are (comparatively) boring (even though I CAN get my
job done without Oscar in the trash can, why not have a little amusement
too?).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 91 01:37:28 GMT
From: mryman@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Mark Ryman)
Subject: Macwrite II document,bad file format?

i've come across a typical error in the past couple of days from macwrite II
users. A file once worked in and saved does not open when the user wants to
work with it again.
the screen gives an error :"BAD FILE FORMAT" with no options but to return
to the desktop.
i tried to save the file by using SUM II recover and SUM II disk clinic
but to no avail. Any suggestions ?  please send e-mail to this account
or to: ALDSTF64@OUACCVMB.BITNET.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 00:35:05 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC File Access

On Tue, 29 Jan 91 18:39:03 CST you said:
>Access PC includes a capability to format DOS floppies, although
>I've not tested this feature yet.

I have and it works fine at either 1.44 Mbyte or 720K.  In fact it's
MUCH easier to get a Mac to format a DD at 720K than it is to figure
out how to get a PS/2 to do it :-)

>In summary, unless there are obscure bugs I've yet to encounter, APC is
>a definitely superior product.

I've found one.  Download the System color icons from the archives and
use ResEdit to put them into a System file.  Restart and then try
and format an MS-DOS 720K.  Weird!

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 21:49:30 -0500 (EST)
From: "George J. Baxter" <gb2a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: pop-ups (in dialogs)

Hey crew..
    Anybody have any idea of how to put pop-up menus in dialog boxes?? (Both
modal and modeless dialogs).. sample code would be great, but anything
would be helpful.. thanks!
            -george

gb2a+@andrew.cmu.edu
baxter@a.cfr.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 23:07 PST
From: <CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Serious bug in HyperCard 2.0v2

I have run into a reproducible, dangerous bug in HyperCard 2.0v2, the general
release. On two separate stacks that had large resource forks (due to the
existence of 'snd ' resources), the Compact Stack command totally corrupted
the 'snd ' resources.

I suggest that you compact no stacks until this can be verified. Fortunately,
I have complete backups. Has anyone else experienced this?
===
Fred Condo. Pro-Humanist BBS: 818/339-4704, 300/1200/2400 bps
Internet: fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com  Bitnet: condof@clargrad
UUCP: crash!pro-humanist!fredc [add '@nosc.mil' for ARPA]
matter: PO Box 2843, Covina, CA 91722  America Online: FredJC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 20:46:00 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: The Learning Company

Howdy! Does anyone know the phone number/address of The Learning
Company? They produce Reader Rabbit and Math Rabbit.
(Specifically, I'm curious if the above programs will work on a
MACIIsi with a 19" monochrome monitor).

Date: 31 Jan 91 13:45 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: THINK connection

** QUESTION: **

	How can I contact with the THINK people to report bugs? Internet is
the only window to netland I can use. (I know some gaterways to others nets).

-- BUG to report (THINK C's TCL): --

	When you print a CPane - or subclass of it - the visual hierarchy
don't work,and only the mainPane is printed. To fix this bug you can *descent*
CPane,but you may descent all subclasses of it (almost all visual classes,
a big job). The best option can be to make a new release of TCL.

	CStaticText has another bug when it's printing: It is drawn to the
wrong port.

	Any suggestion?

(NOTE	if you are in THINK: I full reported these bugs by fax to Symantec,
	but I had not had any response)

_____ * _________     "PLEASE, DON'T SEND ME FLOWERS"
____ * * ___________    Jose M. CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
___ * \ * _____________    Dpto.Ingenieria Mecanica-Univ.Zaragoza SPAIN/EUROPE
   * * * *

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 91 08:24 GMT
From: FALK2@applelink.apple.com (Austria - Alexander Falk)
Subject: Where to get computer books

Netfolk,

  I've finally found a way for Europeans (or more generally for people not
living in Silicon Valley) to get books on computer-related topics at a
reasonable price within a reasonable time. I'd like to share this experience
with you in the hope that it might be helpful for some people.

  I'm living in Austria, Europe, and five days ago I sent an order via fax to
Computer Literacy - today I received all the four books I had ordered via TNT
Skypak Express Service. Had I ordered these books through a bookstore in
Austria, I would have waited about three months for them to arrive and moreover
would have paid three to four times the price.

  Computer Literacy is probably the most used source for computer books for the
people actually living in Silicon Valley (at least that's what friends there
tell me), but so far I didn't know that they also take credit card orders via
fax or telephone and even ship to non-US destinations. Their selection ranges
>From pure computer-related books to business topics and also include a vast
selection on electrical engineering and semiconductor physics.

  Their address is:
                        Computer Literacy Bookshops
                        2590 North First Street
                        San Jose, CA 95131
                        USA

                        Phone: +1 (408) 435-1118
                        Fax:   +1 (408) 435-0895

  According to their brochure the shipping costs within the US range from
$16/$3 (first book/each additional - for overnight delivery) to $3.75/$0.75
(for regular shipping). Approximate international shipping costs are listed
below:
                                              Asia, Australia,     Canada,
                                 Europe         New Zealand        Mexico
Courier:    1st Book              $32               $32             $32
            Each Additional       $18               $18             $18
Air Mail:   1st Book              $24               $30             $14
            Each Additional       $13               $14             $ 7
Surface:    1st Book              $10               $10             $10
            Each Additional       $ 5               $ 5             $ 2

  Hope this information is useful for someone out there in the matrix!

Cheers,

    A                   FALK2@applelink.apple.com
     L  exander         K360950@aearn.bitnet
      F alk             ALF@melmac.milky.way (just kidding)

Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliation with Computer Literacy Bookstores,
            except that I'm a very happy customer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 10:34 EDT
From: Carl Zimmerman <ECZMRMN%wooster.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Tim Rushing writes:

>Since [we re-formatted our drives and re-installed all software] you cannot
>open documents created by Microsoft Word 4.0 by double-clicking with the
>mouse.

We had the same problem after doing the same thing!  The solution was to shut
down the AppleShare server volume and rebuild the desktop.  Evidently
AppleShare lost the pointers to the applications when the software was
re-installed.

Carl Zimmerman
Director, Academic Computing Services
The College of Wooster