info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/04/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  3 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:

      [*] COMM/THE-NEWS-14.HQX
      [*] Compact Pro (Version 1.3)
      [*] GifMovie 1.1
      [*] SoundMaster 1.64
      [*] SuperBoomerang Updater 2.0.3
      [*] Western 1.0
      9600 Modem & 9600 Fax
      Bad humour
      Chess programs
      Educational software
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #21 (2 msgs)
      Inside Macintosh
      Logo for the Mac
      Mac Buyer's Guide
      PortaDrive and Audio CDs
      Shareware directory online?
      Theorist 1.1
      ZMac

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 18:36:28 CST
From: Bill Cramer <iex!neptune.iex.com!cramer@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: [*] COMM/THE-NEWS-14.HQX

And now, TheNews...

TheNews is a Macintosh Net News Reader application.  Unlike
several programs that have come out since MacTCP became
available, TheNews is not a HyperCard(TM) stack but rather
it is a standalone application.

The system requires:

1. A Macintosh (no kidding!).  As far as I can tell, there
are no restrictions on what kind of Mac you can use with
TheNews -- I've tested the program on the Plus, SE, SE/30,
II, IIx, and IIcx.  I have no reason to believe that it will
fail on other models.

2. MacTCP.  This is the system software that lets your Mac
talk TCP/IP.  You can get this software from Apple.

3. A Network.  You have several options here.  You can use
an Ethernet card installed inside your computer, you can use
an external SCSI Ethernet device, or you can use a
LocalTalk<->Ethernet bridge (for example, a GatorBox).

4. An NNTP server.  This will be a computer running the
'network news transfer protocol'.  I've tested TheNews with
NNTP Version 1.5.7.

5. An SMTP server.  TheNews lets you respond to articles via
the 'simple mail transfer protocol'.  I've tested TheNews
with SMTP Version 5.61.  The SMTP server should be running
on the same computer as the NNTP server.

One of the files included in this distribution is a userUs
manual (cleverly titled 'TheNews UserUs Manual').  This
manual was written using Word 4.0; I apologize if you do not
have this program (although you *should* -- it's well worth
the $$$). However, because I'm such a thoughtful kind of
guy, IUve excerpted the 'Quick Start' section in the README
document.

So, after you try out TheNews and find that you want to keep
it, what do you do next?  Well, obviously, you pay me for
it!  Base sticker price is $25, but have I got a deal for
you -- when you send me your check (US dollars preferred!) if
you'll give me two suggestions on what I need in the next
version, the price drops to $20.  (And no, the price does
not drop to $0 if you give me 12 suggestions!)

Want to license a whole boatload of copies?  I'll be happy
to discuss a hefty discount, especially if you're at an
institute of higher learning.

Send your checks, praises, comments, and questions to:

     Bill Cramer
     504 Winter Wood Drive
     Grapevine, Texas  76051

Note: This is version 1.4, which fixes a number of bugs, including:

1) Support for IP addresses longer than 12 characters (bug prevented
   some users from connecting to the server).
2) Proper interpretation of error messages generated by an xfer-only
   NNTP server (bug let user get too far into session before figuring
   out the server wasn't going to let TheNews read articles).
3) Proper interpretation of large article ID numbers (bug caused crash
   on save and open operations).  V1.3 fixed the problem; this version
   tries to recover pre-1.3 group files.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/the-news-14.hqx; 189K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 20:36:20 EST
From: waire@eesun.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.)
Subject: [*] Compact Pro (Version 1.3)

Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

The newest version of the 'StuffIt Killer'.  I just downloaded this off a
local bulletin board and figured I send it off to the rest of the world.

Time to send in that registration fee...

[Archived as /info-mac/util/compact-pro-13.hqx; 156K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 20:14:57 PST
From: htsukada@msri.org (H. Tsukada)
Subject: [*] GifMovie 1.1

GifMovie1.1 by H. Tsukada (htsukada@msri.org)

This is the latest version of GifMovie, a Gif viewing program.
Put GifMovie and Gif files in a same folder.
Select GifMovie and the pictures you want to watch and double click on them.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/gif-movie-11.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 14:04 PDT
From: <NELSON%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] SoundMaster 1.64

        This is the newest version of SoundMaster, v1.64. It has
many added possibilites for sounds, an improved interface, and
on-line help. The shareware fee is $15.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/sound-master-164.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 19:04:38 EST
From: waire@eesun.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.)
Subject: [*] SuperBoomerang Updater 2.0.3

Please find enclosed an updater for SuperBoomerang to version 2.0.3.  This
is for the owners of the commercial version of Boomerang available in the
Now Utilties package.

Enjoy!

--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

[Archived as /info-mac/util/super-boomerang-203-updater.hqx; 104K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 17:02:02 +0300 (MSK)
From: butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su (Vladimir A. Butenko)
Subject: [*] Western 1.0

Hi, netters!

Looking through info-mac digests and Mac USENET newsgroups I saw that
there are a lot of people who are interested in Network Applications
(including games and other funs). So I remembered that some years ago
I designed a very simple program for our MISS operating system. It
was a game, and our favorite game! You don't play with your computer,
you play with your friends instead. So I decided to port it to Mac
using AppleTalk networking.

The original version was based on Common Memory facility of MISS OS,
so I had a VERY interesting algorithmic problem to port it into
distributed environment!!!

I wrote it in two nights and spent one more night to draw Icons etc,
so the design is poor, sorry. And "Zones" menu command is not
implemented (yet?). So, launch it on at least two Macs and enjoy.
Note: the application file can reside on a FileServer volume.

                                        Vladimir Butenko

[Archived as /info-mac/game/western.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 1991 21:15 EST
From: "Juan A. Pons" <JPONS@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: 9600 Modem & 9600 Fax

Hello!

I would like some feedback on the new 9600 baud modem & 9600 baud FAX. Like the
Orchid and the Prometheous (did I spell that right???) Please send me EMail and
I will post a summary here!
Thanks

Juan Pons
Bitnet	   JPons@ClarkU
Internet   JPons@Vax.ClarkU.edu
AOL	   SpeedFreak

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  1 Feb 91 17:32 PST
From: <ROBERT%UCLASTRO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bad humour

Here is part of a message I got from a physicist friend recently. Object
lesson in how not to do things.
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 18:17 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: Chess programs

A recent request asked for information regarding chess programs for
the Mac.  A recent reply to same was

> I have seen the program Sargon IV for the Macintosh, and I would
>strongly recommend against buying it. Salient features include:
>UNRESIZABLE windows (taking up only part of the screen), not
>recognizing command-key equivalents for menu items, only one level
>of "take back move", and otherwise ridiculous abuses of user
>interface.

While I am a very strong Mac fan, and believe strongly in the Mac
interface, this is not a particularly useful reply and certainly does
not address the salient features.  It would be somewhat like replying
to a person wishing information of a good automobile that a Porche
stinks because it does not have resizable windows or command-key
equivalents.

I assume the person asking for information on chess games wants an
application that is good at playing chess.  Sargon IV is an excellent
chess player and will give almost all normal humans a fantastic run
for the money.  It is true that it does not adhere fully to the Mac
guidelines, but no one will (or should) have troubles using the
application on that score.

The real problem with nonadherence is that Sargon IV does not run on
a Mac IIfx, and it may or may not run on the newer machines.  I know,
however, that it does run fine on machines up to a Mac II.  And if
your object is to play chess, you will love Sargon IV (or III).  It
has many options for either playing or setting up board situations.

david a. belsley
boston college

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 16:36:30 EST
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: Educational software

     For digest readers interested in educational applications for the Mac,
the "Intellimation Library for the Macintosh" has recently released its 1991
electronic catalog.  The Intellimation library supports an impressive
collection of educator-developed instructional materials for the Macintosh
offered in cooperation with Apple Computer, Inc.  It's initial catalog
describes 100+ stand-alone applications covering a diversity of subjects,
including: Humanities and Language Arts [HyperGreek, Treaty of Versailles];
Social Sciences [MacPrimate, MindLab]; Computer Science and Engineering
[Turing's World, PipeLine Design Kit]; Mathematics and Statistics [Syllogistic
Logic Tutor, Stat Helper I/II]; Life Sciences [Neuro-anatomy Foundations,
MacDiet]; Physics, Chemistry and Earth Science [Physics Simulations I -
Mechanics, II - Electromagnetism; GeoStructures]; and various Tools &
Utilities [Decision Maker, HyperTA].  Many of these applications were formerly
offered through Kinko's Academic Courseware Exchange, which was sold to
Intellimation.

     The electronic catalog consists of a self-extracting Compactor archive
of the HyperCard Catalog stack and a brief ReadMe file to get you started.
Intellimation can be reached at:

Intellimation Library for the Macintosh
Department XA
130 Cremona Drive
P.O. Box 1922
Santa Barbara, CA 93116-1922

Order Numbers:

(800) 346-8355 [US only]
(805) 685-8587 [outside US]
(805) 968-8899 [24 Hour Fax]
intell2@applelink.com [Internet]

Technical Support:

(805) 685-2100 [0900 - 1700 PST]
(805) 685-2100 [x Developer Support]
      to request a Developer's Kit for submissions

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Intellimation other than to pass
            along this information.  I purchased a number of products
            first offered by Kinko's Software Exchange (and now offered
            by Intellimation) that I've subsequently recommended to others
            as exceptionally well-designed educational software.  Write
            or call for a catalog and decide for yourself .....

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 91 17:18:29 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #21

Has anyone had bad experiences with the communications software included
with the Zoom Telephonics sendfax modem? I find that it is quite buggy and
it locks up all the time.

Steve

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[] STEVE SHANKMAN                   SHANKMAS@ARIZVM1.BITNET           []
[] Consultant, Graduate Mac Lab         "   @ARIZVM1.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU []
[] University of Arizona, Tucson    SSHANKMAN@MIS.ARIZONA.EDU         []
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 91 18:42:58 GMT
From: time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres)

In article <9101282048.AA10095@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
> we have a novell network here w/both Macs and PCs attached to a PC
> server.  we are looking for the best possible e-mail package(s).
> i would welcome comments from any and all who have tackled this
> issue, i.e. one package that can handle both platforms (which, and
> how effective is it?), or one package for the Macs and one for
> the PCs (which, how effective are they, and how does one address
> the problem of e-mail across platforms).
> thanks.

As for the question on one handles cross-platform email:

I think the first step is to select an email standard.

If you choose to use a standard such as UUCP and UNIX mail, then you
will be able to run this across all platforms. ICE Engineering sells
an excellent commercial UUCP mail and news product for the Macintosh,
and others are available for the PC today. Of course, UUCP has been
ported to amiga, atari, VAX, IBM (micros and minis), and gateways
exist into almost all other mail systems (compuserve, MCIMail, Genie,
and many more) nd the mail is international.

Further, ICE intends to port uAccess to PC Windows, making the Macintosh
to PC email solution very nice.

Future standards to watch include X.400 and MHS.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 91 11:11:57 GMT
From: ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg)
Subject: Inside Macintosh

In digest <9102022344.AA18232@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Big Nose
<LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

>I'm sure that
>I have seen a DA with a reduced form of IM in it, so there is no need
>to lay out for a CD player, if quick reference is all you need. I may
>still have a copy of the beastie somewhere, so if there is any demand I could
>probably locate it and upload it.

There's alredy a copy of it in the archive:

info-mac/da/inside-mac-part1.hqx
info-mac/da/inside-mac-part2.hqx
info-mac/da/inside-mac-part3.hqx

That's version 1.2, if someone has a later version, plz make it available
for ftp! (If it's still SW (or "Mac-Honor" as the author call it), of course.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 91 17:44:09 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Logo for the Mac

A while ago there were one or two queries about the availability of Logo
for the Mac. A company called Paradigm Software has just released
"Object Logo" at a list price of $149. I could be wrong, but I think
this may be a descendant of Coral Software's Logo, before Coral was
swallowed by Apple.

Paradigm Software: Box 2995, Cambridge, MA 02238; 617-542-4245.

This is information only, not a recommendation.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: 02 Feb 91 23:49 GMT
From: D6307@applelink.apple.com (Koyn SW, Terry Koyn,PRT)
Subject: Mac Buyer's Guide

I have heard that Redgate has recently sold the Mac Buyer's Guide.  I am
wondering to whom it was sold and how to reach them.  Please send any replies
to D6307@Applelink.Apple.COM, as I can not obtain access to the list from
Applelink.  You might want to post your reply to the list as well to share it
with all.  Thanks in advance for any information.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 17:52 PST
From: TINMAN@max.u.washington.edu
Subject: PortaDrive and Audio CDs

I just bought the CD-Technology PortaDrive.  It works just fine with
"computer" CDs like Cosmic Osmo, but it won't play audio CDs with the
Hypercard driver "playCD" or the desk accessory "MusicBox" provided with
the CD-ROM drive software.  I've got system 6.0.4, and am only running
SAM, SUM Shield, and Pyro.

The CD-Technology tech support people can't figure this out.  They sent a
new copy of the software including the Foreign File, High Sierra File, ISO
9660 File, and Audio CD Access files--to no avail.  None of my other
applications fail to run, so it's hard to think the problem is with my
system....

Any ideas out there?  **MANY** thanks in advance!

Stan Kaufman

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 91 04:46:58 PST
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu
Subject: Shareware directory online?

Has anybody compiled, or is anyone presently compiling, a directory of
all available Mac shareware, as an online file that is generally accessible?
Such a directory might include the name of the program, the author and
address, the shareware fee, a description, critique (known bugs etc.),
application resource type (signature), what machines it runs on, etc.
I know a lot of this information is available in printed books,
periodicals, and in the catalogs of shareware resellers, but it's (1)
not machine-searchable and (2) scattered around. I'd like single index
as a text file I can load into the Texas indexer and browse/search
conveniently.  If it includes comparisons between similar programs, that
would be really nifty. Anybody know of such a database?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 91 01:22 EST
From: PRBRIG01%ulkyvx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Theorist 1.1

To Theorist 1.1 users,

I need information on a possible version 1.1 bug.  I had used version 1.0
with no problem for some time when the version 1.1 arrived.  I installed
it on my hardrive and converted the existing notebooks.  The upgrade has
begun to quit without warning when selecting numbers (only selecting),
scrolling or deleting an entry, among other actions.  I have 5 megs in SIMMS
and Virtual set to 8 megs.  There were no changes made to any system files
before the problems began.  I have tried resetting the finder allotment
(no help) and increasing the application memory (again no help).

I am confused about the possible cause.  I use Mathematica set to 6
megs with no problem.  No other program is behaving like this.  I am tempted
to go back to using version 1.0.

Any thoughts?

Sky Wright

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 1991 16:41 EST
From: "Juan A. Pons" <JPONS@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: ZMac

Hello again!

I just want to start a discussion on a topic that I think has not been
addressed as much as it should be. It's regarding Zmac the information system
>From the publishers of MacWeek and MacUser. I am writing to find out what other
people think of them. I would love to subscribe to them but that means paying
the exorbitant fees of Compu$erve ($12.50/h for 1200 or 2400 baud) and on top
of  that the Zmac fees (I am not sure what their fee is). I think it's a shame
that Zmac which is a service exclusively for the mac hos been located in an
un-mac like environment such as Compu$erve! I think that Ziff Publications
should reconsider and place their service in a more Mac-like environment such as
America Online. Their response to this argument is that Compu$erve has the most
mac users online. I truly cannot believe this. Maybe they should do a little
bit more research and maybe they'll find out that a lot of those users (such as
me and many people that I know) are members of Compu$serve but not active
members ( I have not logged in for over a year!). Ziff publications I hope that
you are reading this!!!

Juan Pons
Bitnet      JPons@ClarkU
Internet    JPons@Vax.ClarkU.edu