info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/09/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  8 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:

      [*] Desert Storm picture...
      [*] Flash-It v.2.1 ScreenCapture cdev/init
      [*] Hidden ROM Treasures
      "I have to push the PRAM - a - lot !!"
      2400 Baud Modem - Teleport
      40 MIPS Mac?
      Apple graphics accelerator card
      Beware of MacSnoop
      Compact Pro Question
      Graphics Translation from IBM clones to Mac
      Hand-held Scanner Opinions
      IIci and Excel/Word weirdness
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #35
      Is my IIci a snail?
      laser printing
      Mac IIci System Environment Problem
      power on/off dilema
      Renewed request for standarized "README" files.
      Resource Fork Destroyer
      Shareware Pay-Up Day
      Super Boomerang 2.03
      wierd date problem

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 05 FEB 91 23:51:23 CDT
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Desert Storm picture...

Hello,
This picture was originally taken from GEnie as a MacPaint file.
I used DeskPaint(TM) to change this so that it looks good on a SE.
I don't know who the author is, but, I have not modified the picture
other than to add a grey background and to move it so it looks good
on a SE.  This is a Compact Pro file.  It is not self Extracting so
you will need Compact Pro to extract this one.  Enjoy.
Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

[Archived as /info-mac/art/desert-storm.hqx; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 1991   23:42 PST
From: "Nobukazu Toge"                                <TOGE%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Flash-It v.2.1 ScreenCapture cdev/init

Attached is a CPT-HQX file of Flash-It v.2.1 Screen-capture cdev/init.

The v.2.0.3 still had an error in handling image -> scrapbook handling,
particularly frequent on Mac SE/30.  I think I fixed it (and a few
others) and I hope that it is more robust than before. My apologies
to users who suffered from them.

Flash-It is a screen-capture cdev/init, which works on color / B&W
screens.  The control panel interface lets you define HotKeys which
will initiate screen-capturing actions.  You can select a capture
region, then you can specify the place to store images, e.g. clipboard,
PICT/rsrc files, Scrapbook and Printer.  Image scaling is possible
in the range 5 - 3200 %.  A new option in v.2.1 allows you to
capture only the front-most window (or alert/dialog box).  This may be
handy when you write manuals or hand-outs.

Flash-It is a shareware $15.00 / copy.

                      - Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-21.hqx; 68K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:24:32 -0800
From: MNK@rdac.dnet.hac.com          (Mike Kimura)
Subject: [*] Hidden ROM Treasures

In the past several people have posted information on the hidden ROM
treasures on several models of the Macintosh.  I would like to try to
put together a complete list of which models of Mac's have something
hidden and how to get it out.  So far I've seen posted information on
the //ci, //fx, SE, and the Classic (named OX before it was released).

I would like to know if anyone knows any information about the following
other models: Plus, //, //x, //si, //cx, and //LC.  (I'm especially
interested in the Mac //si since a friend just purchased one).

For those who haven't seen the previous postings of how to see the hidden
ROM pictures/folders I'm posting a summary.  Please send me any information
you have on ANY known ROM tricks or post the information and I will post
a final summary of the information I receive.

Mike Kimura (mnk@rdac.dnet.hac.com)

[Archived as /info-mac/tips/rom-treasures.txt; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: 8 February 1991 11:51:02 CST
From: "Richard K. Wolf (312) 996-5991" <U42641%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: "I have to push the PRAM - a - lot !!"

Seriously . . . I think I may have done something rather unfortunate.

Can someone tell me if the boot device is something that is set in
the 256 byte parameter RAM in the Mac?  The reason I ask is because
I cannot boot from my internal floppy drive with System disks I know
to be good.  My Mac IIci always ejects these disks and tries to boot
>From my internal hard disk.  If the boot device can be set from PRAM,
how do I do it from the ROM debugger, if possible?  If not, how might
it be done?  (I read you can "lobotomize" a powered down Mac by
removing the power to the CMOS PRAM chip inside the Mac and thus clearing
PRAM.)

The problem started after I installed Prodigy (wasn't even worth
the effort, in my opinion).  After I finished with Prodigy, I played
one game of Solarian II which froze at the end.  Okay, I figure,
I'll reboot . . . . boom!  I wonder if Prodigy doesn't like some
of my INITs or if it put something in my System Folder that doesn't
like my INITs?  Funny thing is that the INIT CDEV pops up without
me having to ask for it during the boot process.  INIT CDEV is
unresponsive to my requests not to load the other INITS in my
System Folder.  I can only press return to get anything to happen.
Then, the Mac runs four more INITs and freezes in the Desktop INIT.

Anyone have these problems before?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Richard K. Wolf
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu / U42641@UICVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 16:24:04 -0600
From: schultz@pollux.math.iastate.edu
Subject: 2400 Baud Modem - Teleport

The Teleport modem from Global Village is an excellent modem well worth
considering. The mail-order price is around $129 (MacConnection or
MacAvenue). It's an ADB device (i.e., it plugs in just like a mouse) and
requires no external power supply. It's configured through the control
panel (including automatic registration!), and it appends its own menu to
the menubar when in use. It also supports MNP 4 and 5 and the
communications toolbox. The cord Global Village provides to go from the
wall jack to the modem is short.
While it cost more than some other modems, it is still a great buy because
of its ease of useand features.

I'm just a satisfied customer hoping to stay satisfied.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 08:31 CST
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 40 MIPS Mac?

Has anyone out there had any dealings in the past with Venture Technologies?
I am interested to hear of any thoughts about this company, as they have
been advertising 68030/40 CPUcards for the ci and the LC.  They offer an intro
price of $1495 for a 50 MHz 030, which they claim will outperform the fx (even
the LC--if true, how's that for low cost high performance computing?).  Better
still, they offer a full trade in allowance of the purchase price of the 50MHz
030 toward the price of a 50MHz 040!  They state that the 040 (which plugs into
PDS of LC and cache slot of ci) 50MHz model comes with floating point co-proc.
32k cache memory (buffered writes).  Supposedly this thing is 4 times faster
"on overall system performance" [compared to similar config 40MHz 040] and
"more than 12 times faster on floating-point instructions.
When I called they told me that the 040 was going to take a few months to be
introduced.

Any comments?  [whoops! make that similarly configured 40MHz 68030!]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 11:00 MST
From: JBPowlesland%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Apple graphics accelerator card

Recently, we aquired a Mac IIci (4MB RAM, 80MB HD) and a Macintosh
Display Card 8*24 GC graphics accelerator card.  Upon installing the
card, we had system crashes, screen freezing, and general havoc with
text and graphics displays on the screen.  After reinstalling the system
software (6.0.5) and removing everything but Apple software, the
problems continued.  Of course, we suspected a faulty card.

After talking to our university Micro Store people, we found that two
other customers had experienced similar problems with their Apple
graphics accelerator cards and returned them to Apple.  Apparently,
their new cards worked fine on their Mac IIci's.

When we heard of this, we returned our card and received a new one a few
days ago.  Again we experienced the same problems and saw no improvement
in graphics ability.  We are planning on returning this second card as
well but we will test our Mac first by finding a card that is known to
work and installing it our machine.  I suspect nothing is wrong with our
software.

This brings me to two questions:  Has anyone else experienced similar
problems with the Apple GC card?  Has Apple made any public
announcements about possible problems with the card?

Jim Powlesland, Academic Computing Services, University of Calgary,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 91 11:10:00 EDT
From: "J. SCOTT WEAVER" <fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu>
Subject: Beware of MacSnoop

I am greatly relieved by Gary T. Czychi's assurances that the documentation for
MacSnoop is incorrect and that the program is benign.

*FLAME ON* Since I was unable to figure out how the program could "deprotect
your files/folders", I was forced to view the program as dangerous.  A program
with write-access to the disk might do almost anything from unlocking files and
folders to ???.  IMHO, programs that produce (or threaten to produce) side-
effects are not very friendly and are best avoided.  In fact, it is the
deliberate production of unfriendly side effects that marks a program as a
Trojan Horse.  *FLAME OFF*

All kidding aside, I am happy to see an explanation of the statements in the
MacSnoop documentation and I apologize to the poster and author for any distress
that I may have caused.

Scott

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 9:22:05 EST
From: "Thomas J. Sterlacci" (PBMA) <tster@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Compact Pro Question

>Hello there...I just began using Compact Pro (The newest Compactor
>program) and I would like to know the following:
>
>How do you delete filesa from an archive?
>
>I can't seem to find delete anywhere...maybe i'm just blind but...
>
>please let me know how to do this.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gordon Werner

Gordon,

You used to be able to delete the selected file(s) by using the "Remove"
command under the edit menu or using the backspace (delete) key.  Using
either method gave you no warning that your selected file(s) will be
removed.

Now to delete the selected file(s) you either choose the "Clear" command
under the Edit menu or use the backspace (delete) key.  The latter is
probably more convenient.  If you have the preference set to warn you
before Compact Pro removes a file(s)[highly recommended], it will give
you a dialog box asking you if you really want to do this.

As you can see, Compactor Pro has become more "Mac like".

Tom Sterlacci

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 10:37:25 EST
From: tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu (Tim Cera)
Subject: Graphics Translation from IBM clones to Mac

We have used MacLink to translate between IBM clones and Macintoshs and
found it to be fairly reliable.  (A recent MacUser rated it the lowest
though!)  It has the following graphic file translations which unfortunately
I cannot comment on because we have used them only in a cursory manner.

        MAC                             IBM CLONES
        PICT            to              LOTUS (PIC)
                                        or PC PAINTBRUSH (PCX)

        IBM CLONES                      MAC
        PC PAINTBRUSH (PCX)     to      PICT
        TIFF (REMOTE)           to      TIFF (MAC)

The package had had a recent upgrade which we did not get because it performs
well with the files we need to translate.  Hope this helps.

Tim Cera
tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 08:07:40 PST
From: Fred Feer <feerfs@rand.org>
Subject: Hand-held Scanner Opinions

	I also have a Logitech which I boght in Dec 90. I have not
received an update.
	The problem I have with it is setting the available memory.
The DA version seems to be fixed at too small a size to be useful.
The application, however, seems not to have the problem.
	The application is easy to use and stable. I use it primarily
for OCR and find it quite easy to get usable scans every time; just
take your time and there is no trouble keeping the scan straight.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 10:41 CST
From: ADUS10@jetson.uh.edu
Subject: IIci and Excel/Word weirdness

Just to summarize for the net about the IIci and Excel/Word problem we
were having.  The culprit seems to have been SMART ALARMS. We were running
version 3.0.1 and its appearently incompatible.  The upgrade is being sent
free of charge (3.0.4) and we're running fine having removed it for now.
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Jeana
University of Houston

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 16:41:23 CST
From: "Mark R. Williamson" <MARK@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #35

In Info-Mac Digest Volume 9,Issue 35, Alberto Ricci said:
>The Mac IIsi has 1Mb of RAM soldered onto the motherboard, and it has 4 sockets
>(when you buy the Mac, they'll be filled with 256K or 1Mb SIMMs, depending on
>your configuration). These four sockets will also accept 4Mb SIMMs.
>The possible configurations are 1, 2, 5, and 17 Mb (in this case you'll be able
>to use only 16 of the 17Mb, because of System 6.x addressing. However, System
>7.0 will use (by the way, A/UX already does) up to 4Gb (that's 4096 Mb)).

The IIsi can also use the newly defined 512K and 2M SIMMs, yielding 3M and 9M
configurations.  Mine is running happily with 9M.

By the way, I can measure little or no difference in speed between 256-color
and B&W modes or between no cache and max cache using the built-in video in
my 9M IIsi.  The IIsi maps bank A (the 1M bank which includes video RAM) at
the top of memory, so it tends not to be used unless you fill up Bank B with
large programs (which I haven't managed yet).  However, I have observed
significant Dhrystone degradation from using the recently posted MMinit
when using maximum cache.  Real-world applications show little change.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 91 08:53:24 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Is my IIci a snail?

On Tue, 05 Feb 91 15:30:34 EST you said:
>I am doing computer simulations of polymer diffusion written in MPW fortran
>and running them on a Mac Plus, SE, SE/30, and a IIci.  From what everyone
>tells me, the IIci should just smoke the others in terms of execution time,
>but it doesn't, the SE/30 runs the same application much faster!

Evidently you came in late and missed the recent discussion on speed
comparisons.  Try switching into B&W mode (Monitor cdev) on the IIci and
watch it's speed double (you can achieve the same effect in color by
putting in a NuBus video card and letting it handle the colors instead
of the 68030.

Another possible explanation: how long has it been since you defragged
your hard disk(s)?  To the extent that your program is doing lots of I/O,
if the HD is substantially fragmented it can impose a whopping performance
penalty (degragmentation is done with a commercial utility  such as Disk
Express or optimizers with things like PC Tools and Norton Utilities).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 14:33 EST
From: RBRIDGES@vax.clarku.edu
Subject: laser printing

    The Information Resource Center (IRC) at Clark University is trying to
 develop a better laser printing system, (i.e.: on-line accounting, vendacard),
 for a Mac, PC & Vax network.

    If anyone is using, or has ideas for such a set up (including system
design, money collection, security, extended hours for student printing, etc.)
please contact:   Brian at IRC_BB.clarku.edu.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 01:15:15 -0500
From: Dave Pieczkiewicz <muaddib@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu>
Subject: Mac IIci System Environment Problem

This is being written on the behalf of a friend who has a Mac IIci. For the
last several days, his system's enviroment has been changing itself each
time he reboots his machine. Starting at the beginning, his machine was
configured for 8-bit color and an alternate (Ethernet) AppleTalk driver.
If he simply restarts his machine, everything remains stable. However, if
he shuts down, and then reboots, the machine starts up with a black and
white screen, the driver disconnected (things switched back to LocalTalk),
and the clock reset to the ubiquitous January 1, 1904, 12:00am. What I mean
by everything remaining stable during a restart is, if his machine is
reset to use the Ethernet drivers, reset to 8-bit color, and reset to the
proper time, then everything will remain the same way after a restart.
After a shutdown, however, everything goes back to the zero-color,
zero-time, no network setup.

What gives? I thought I'd been around Macs long enough to troubleshoot
with fair to middling accuracy, but I've never seen the likes of this
before. My first thought is a failure of the battery; however, is
information like network setup and color included in PRAM? I thought it
handled just the clock. Does anyone think this might be the problem
(i.e., is a battery replacement in order)? For the record, his IIci runs
System 6.0.5, which I reinstalled last night "just in case," but the
same problems occur. The last thought on my mind is a virus or viral side
effects, but before you ask, yes, we did check several times for
"peculiarities." Aside from the machine not remembering the settings,
its operation is perfectly normal, and he is experiencing no other
difficulties with his system.

As an aside, he asked me if I could throw this query in. He is a frequent
user of QuickGIF and other applications that alter the color palette
frequently, which causes a quick "blink" on the screen before a redraw.
Several people have remarked to him that frequent switching may not be in
the best interests of his monitor. As a user of primarily black and white
Macs, I have no sage advice to offer. Does anyone else? Is there really
anything for him to be concerened about?

Any direct-mail replies can be sent to muaddib@ins.cwru.edu.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 09:50:35 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: power on/off dilema

In Info-Mac vx #xxx Calr Steinhilber (Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com)
writes that the "power off/on dilema" basically has no clear, verifyable
solution, and that it's up to personal preference.  Then he goes on...

> HOWEVER... if you've had your equipment for a while, and HAVEN'T kept it on
> constantly, don't start now. Changing the routine will cause more damage. It'r
> the other.
>
> Carl

Oh?  And on what evidence do you base _that_ assertion?  I think that the
best way to treat your electronic equipment is to change routines on it
often, so as to confuse it, because otherwise it will maliciously pick the
worst possible time to break down (see Murphy's law).  8-)   It's really
ALL just a matter of personal preference (and style).

Jurgen Botz, Academic Computing  | Internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet
Mount Holyoke College            | Voice: (US) 413-538-2375 (daytime)

------------------------------

Date: 07 FEB 91 22:05:58 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Renewed request for standarized "README" files.

We are blessed here with frequently submitted files into the Mac archives.
Much effort has been made on the applications and they are generally of
great help to the Mac user.  However, and maybe the following is a result
of my coming from the Atari ST world, documentation accompanying the
submitted files can be bewildering.
Anyone who engages in file transfers knows what I mean.  How often has
this message appeared on your system:  "The file, zzzz, could not be opened
or printed.  It may be busy or missing."  Here's the situation.  You
download a great program and want to read the instructions, README.  Well,
guess what?  That doc file was written in some lingo that your Mac does
not understand.
Folks, not everyone has MacWrite II.  Not everyone has FullWrite Professional.
Not everyone has MS Word, or WriteNow, or WordPerfect.  Yet, these text
processors are the ones that I have seen required for various applications,
DA's, CDEVs, INITs, and utilities.
So...., the following is a renewed attempt at a repeated proposal.  To wit:
please standardize your README file with a text reader that all Macintoshers
have.  TeachText comes to mind.  All Macs are bundled with TeachText.  If
TeachText is not "fancy" enough, then using a self processing text viewer
such as DocMaker 3.1.  Any Macintosher can create a great README, complete
with graphics, with this program and any Mac can read the file.
The first time that I made this plea resulted in replies ranging from
generous offers of converting files to a readable format to instructions
on how to change the TYPE/CREATOR via DiskTop or ResEdit so that the file
could be read.  Though the support was fantanstic, the problem still did
not go away:  generous programmers risk hurting their contribution because
their README cannot be read by the Macintosher who does not know how to
hack with DiskTop or ResEdit, or by the Macintosher who does not have
MS Word or MacWrite, etc.
And as usual, thanks for your support....

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 04:55:11 EST
From: zaccone@sol.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393)
Subject: Resource Fork Destroyer

In Info-Mac volume 7 number 83 (May 8, 1989) Earle Horton posted an
MPW tool which destroys the resource fork of text files.  It was
archived as /info-mac/util/text-resource-fork-destroyer.hqx but it no
longer appears in the archives.  Would someone be kind enough to send
me a copy of this file or tell me where I can retrieve it?

Rick Zaccone
zaccone@bucknell.edu

------------------------------

Date: 08 Feb 91 06:45 GMT
From: FALK2@applelink.apple.com (Austria - Alexander Falk)
Subject: Shareware Pay-Up Day

                    ************************
                    *  S P U D    N E W S  *
                    ************************

                 Shareware Pay-Up Day Committee
                302 Bryant, Palo Alto,  CA 94301

For immediate release.  More information: Call Paul Pease at
415-322-2072

Shareware Pay-Up Day set for March 17th.

        Palo Alto, Calif.--February 1, 1991--March 17th has
been selected as SPUD 1991 (Shareware Pay-Up Day) by
the SPUD Committee founded and populated solely by
Paul Pease, a writer and long-term violator of shareware
rules.

        "Sure, I knew when I unzipped Vern Buerg's List.com
that I was supposed to send him fifteen dollars 'if I found it
useful',"  said Pease,"but I kept forgetting. I need to
be reminded, to be bugged, just like everybody else. Heck,
it's been five years and I still haven't sent in the dough for
Xlaxnode and my OPUS bulletin board software."

        To help promote the concept of shareware, therefore,
the SPUD Committee has designated March 17th, St.
Patrick's Day, to be the official Shareware Pay-Up Day on
which forgetful or procrastinating computer users can write
a few checks and reward the industry of the many software
writers who float their creations out to the world over
bulletin boards or through Users' Groups with the hope of
modest payment.

        "ProComm and PC File," added Pease, "are two
examples of outstanding software that started as shareware
and, because enough people remembered to pay up, real
companies with excellent software have been born. We at
the SPUD Committee are going to send in our checks on
March 17th and hope you'll join us."

        The SPUD Committee will have its second meeting
January 31, 1992, with the sole purpose of picking March
17th, 1992 as the Second SPUD.

        For information, call 415-322-2072, use MCI Mail box
ppease;CompuServe72241,3640; AppleLink PEASE.P. ; or
fax  415-322-7940,

                                                   ###p###

Cheers!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 13:27:23 EST
From: 93ajm@cc.williams.edu (Andrew Mauer)
Subject: Super Boomerang 2.03

	I have been unable to successfully run the application included
in the Super Boomerang 2.03 Updater package. StuffIt says that the resource
fork is corrupted, and ResEdit will not read the decompressed version at
all.
	I do not think I have screwed up the un-binhexing as I have tried
all of the un-binhex programs I have, with the same end.
	I would like to hear from someone who has successfully retrieved
this, or perhaps the esteemed poster could try again.

Andrew Mauer
93ajm@cc.williams.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 09:35:02 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: wierd date problem

I few digests ago I made a post describing a strange problem with the
system date becoming wrong and unchangable.  I have just received mail
>From a person who traced the same problem to the "Simon cdev."  Since
I'm also running the Simon cdev, I'm assuming that his diagnosis was
correct and that the Simon cdev makes incorrect changes to the itl and
/or INTL resources.  Ergo, do not use this cdev until/unless an updated
version is posted.  Anybody know of another program to do the same type
of thing..?

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 08:27:06 -0800
From: kretchma@hac2arpa.hac.com (Scott Kretchmar)

> Hi all you Mac experts
>
> I just recently got a Mac IIci with System 6.0.7 80Meg Quantum,
> 8Meg RAM in 8bit collor mode (clean system, no INITS just to be sure no
> conflicts)
>
> I just recently encountered a strange problem when I was QUICKUNSTUFFING
> some of the info-mac items with Stuffit-Deluxe 2.01.
>
> What happens is when I try to open some of the folders that were just
> quickunstuffed in the FINDER I get a BOMB ID=28 which I think is stack
> overflow into the application heap???  This does NOT happen to ALL the
> folders that were created but just a few.
>
> To make matters worse I tried duplicating the suspect folder in the FINDER and
> open the copy but the same thing happens, BOMB!!.  I then ran Norton Util.
> and it said everything was fine.  Disinfectant 2.4 said there were no viruses.
> I can even look into the suspect folder with DISKTOP 4.0 and I can see
> all the files.  I just can't open the %$!#@ thing in the FINDER!!!
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I got many recomendations to rebuild the desktop file which seems to work.
In fact I could duplicate the problem again by just copying/deleting a whole
bunch of different files (ie. ones not seen by the finder yet) and the desktop
just keeps getting larger and larger....Seems that I start getting into
trouble when the desktop gets larger than the system heap space (I think).

Why can't Apple fix the OS so that desktop always keeps only whats presently
on the disk????

Oh well.....thanks.....
KRETCHMA@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM

End of Info-Mac Digest