info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/11/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 10 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:

      [*] cirdan_cards.sit.hqx
      [*] Graphic Stack Lister 3.1
      [*] Mines 1.01
      [*] NetBunny 1.0B2
      [*] Phoenix
      A/UX 2.0 on Marathon 68030 enhanced Mac II
      Apple File Exchange
      ATM Type I fonts
      Compact Pro (2 msgs)
      File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you
      IIsi programmers switch
      In defense of Gateway/Ridiculous price expectations
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #36
      Mac si Programmer's Keys
      Please Post
      Query: What are currently available DSP boards for the Mac?
      Reply: Un-terminating Quantum internal hard drives
      SE/30 and color monitor
      Standardized "README" files
      Startup screens

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 13:07:56 +0200
From: Ilkka Priha <imp@tik.vtt.fi>
Subject: [*] cirdan_cards.sit.hqx

Cirdan Cards stack contains a new method to develop and maintain HyperCard
stack applications. The idea is to have a set of application independent
"resource" cards in which to maintain definitions of user interface items,
scripts and resources of a stack. Specific routines are provided to access
and distribute the definitions when needed. The Cirdan Card stack contains
tools to define and use pop-up menus, menubar menus, error messages, other
messages, questions, options, lists, notifications, scripts and resources.
The XCmds included are well tested and perform full runtime error testing.

  Ilkka Priha
  Priha@tik.vtt.fi

[Archived as /info-mac/card/cirdan-cards.hqx; 309K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 15:07:03 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: [*] Graphic Stack Lister 3.1

 	This is a utility stack which will create a library of your other
	stacks in graphic terms. You can then click on little pictures of
	cards in other stacks and go directly to that stack. It is also
	helpful for programming large stacks because it lists the other
	stack in order with each card name clearly listed.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/graphic-stack-lister-31.hqx; 142K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:21:57 EST
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Mines 1.01

I recently asked if there was Mac version of a Windows game called
MineSweeper.  The following found its way into my mailbox.  It's not as
nice as the Windows version, but is based on the same principles.

Enclosed is Mines 1.01, a puzzle/strategy game for the Mac written by
Daniel Griscom and sent to me by Kirke B. Lawton.  Program is freeware.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/mines-101.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 13:39:18 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] NetBunny 1.0B2

Here is the MacHack of the year, NetBunny 1.0b2 from Dean Yu!

Yes, drop this INIT in your System folder and you too will be able to enjoy
the Energizer rabbit pounding his drum across your screen.  8 bit color and 32
bit quickdraw are required.  It will not work on b&w machines!  See the
enclosed documentation for more details and limitations.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/init/net-bunny-10b2.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 21:42:56 EST
From: waire@eesun.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.)
Subject: [*] Phoenix

Here it is!  Everyone on USENET has been asking about it...

Yet another WorldBuilder adventure game for the Macintosh.  This program is
based on the movies 2001 & 2010 (so you better rent them and watch closely, as
many of the problems to solve are straight from them).

Enjoy!

Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/game/phoenix.hqx; 553K]

------------------------------

Date: 08 Feb 91 22:59 GMT+0100
From: wolfgang hoyer <hoyer@vax.hmi.dbp.de>
Subject: A/UX 2.0 on Marathon 68030 enhanced Mac II

Hi netters,
I recently replaced the 68020 CPU of my Mac II with Dove's Marathon
68030 accelerator. I am now trying to install A/UX 2.0. Unfortunately,
the A/UX installer does not recognize the 68030 CPU but replies an
error message telling me the PMMU is not installed. Since I'm living
in Germany I cannot use the 1(800) technical support line of Dove and
Apple dealers are not cooperative if one does not purchase original
Apple products, as you know. Are there any suggestions what I could do
or is the only way to go back to the 68020 CPU plus PMMU? Thanks in
advance for your advice!

Wolfgang Hoyer (hoyer@vax.hmi.dbp.de)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 18:20 CST
From: <CD03958%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple File Exchange

Thanks to everyone who showed me how to get Apple File Exchange up and running
at the computer at our school library.(No manuals availible).

I had an additional question. While converting text files from IBM to MAC and
such, is it possible to move Mac applications to IBM dos? Or is A.F.E limited
to text?

Is there any other software that will move non text files to DOS?

Names? Addresses?

                                   Chris Davis

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 09:48:52 EST
From: gpay@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Geoffrey Pay)
Subject: ATM Type I fonts

I just downloaded a Type I font called Uppwest.  I tried using it with
v1.01 ATM and I couldn't get it to work--it came out on the screen and
the printer as bitmaps.  The creator says it's a Type I font and ATM-
compatible yet I've tried everything and it still won't work.  The
problem isn't with the installation, I have many other type I fonts and
they seem to work fine.  Any suggestions/explanations?  Do I need to
upgrade my version of ATM?

					gpay@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
					Geoffrey Pay

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 01:51:22 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Compact Pro

On Tue, 05 Feb 91 15:29:43 CST Graeme Forbes said:
>Has anyone had any luck using either of the 2 utilities downloaded to
>Sumex 2 or 3 days ago? Compact Pro is the new Compactor, and has Binhex4
>decoding. But whenever I've tried to use this facility, I get an "unknown
>format" message, tho' Stuffit Classic has no problem.

Compact Pro won't deal with StuffIT Deluxe format (it WILL handle StuffIT
1.5.1 format just fine).  StuffIT Classic (aka 1.6) will handle both
StuffIT formats (but not Compact Pro format :-)

I switched to Compact Pro without difficulty (my Compactor registration
number worked just fine on Compact Pro :-) and have only noticed the handy
new features (no problems).

>Have I used "upload" and "download" the wrong way round?

The host (mainframe, BBS, server, archive, whatever) is always UP (by
convention established long ago -- has it been 14 years already :-)
Hence, you "download" from and "upload" to.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 13:59:55 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Fri, 08 Feb 91 11:16:56 CST Graeme Forbes said:
>Thanks for clearing up linguistic confusion. Also for info about Compact Pro.
>I guess it means that so far I've only tried to decode files that have been
>binhexed with Stuffit Deluxe.

Ah, I see the problem.  Compact Pro won't edit a StuffIT archive (even a
1.5.1 archive which it can open and selectively extract files from).  You
can delete files from a Compact Pro archive.  There's a separate program in
info-mac for converting from StuffIT to Compactor.  I don't know why Bill
didn't include that capability within Compactor Pro.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 13:16:17 MET
From: List Processor (1.1) <LISTSERV%HEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you

Date:     Sun, 10 Feb 91 13:17 N
>From:     <MBFYS_NU@HNYKUN51>
Subject:  Chinese OS and fonts
To:       info-mac@hearn

I have recentely bought a new MAC LC. Being a chinese, I would like
to do some Chinese DTP on it. The problem I have is that I can hardly
get any information on Chinese OS and fonts here in Holland, not to say
to purchase them. Is there anybody out there can offer some information
on these matters?
Many thanks,
hong@augustus.mbfys.kun.nl

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 22:33:59 +0100
From: Markus.Fest@mathematik.uni-muenchen.dbp.de
Subject: IIsi programmers switch

>From the "Macintosh IIsi Developer Note, Final Draft":

        "... You can assert the NMI signal by pressing the Command
        key and the power on button at the same time. The NMI feature
        is turned off initially. It must be turned on (using a new
        cdev) before it can be asserted. The assumption is that most
        users are not programmers.

        You can assert a hard reset, identical to a power-on reset,
        by pressing the Command key, Control key, and power button
        at the same time. The NMI and Reset key sequences were chosen
        for compatibility with currently existing Macintosh utility
        software.

        NOTE: You must hold down the above sequences of keys for at
        least 1 second to allow the microcontroller enough time to
        respond to the NMI or hard-reset signal."

Note that the NMI signal will have no effect if no debugger is
installed, since the IIsi does not have the old ROM Mini-debugger.
However, your problems will soon disappear: Under 7.0, pressing
Command-Option-Escape brings up a dialog box which allows you to
quit the current application.

Hope this helps...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 20:43 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: In defense of Gateway/Ridiculous price expectations

"CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil> writes:

>As a very satisfied customer of Gateway and their products, I
>feel that you have done them a great injustice.
and
>If you are having trouble with your Gateway

I have?  I used listed retail prices from a price list.  I have, and
have purchased/worked with several Gateway 2000/3000's.  I am completely
satisfied with their computers, am having no problems, and was really
suprised at how helpful their tech support people are.  If you had read
my article completly, I listed Gateway as one of the few companies that
makes PC's as good, if not better than, IBM.  (Along with Toshiba and
Compaq)

>my office purchased a Gateway 2000 386/25 MHz, with a
>387/25 MHz coprocesor, 3.5 HD floppy drive, 5.25 HD floppy drive,
>154 meg IDE drive & controller, super VGA card and 14" color
>Hires monitor, MS Mouse, keyboard, 4 megs of RAM, Windows 3.0,
>and MS-DOS 4.01 - all for less than $2800

Sounds like our config.  Our cost was c$3400.  Again, I said that I used
the list price.  The price that I used for the SE/30 was also list price,
(from last spring) and neither, of course, are the real prices that I
could buy them for myself.  But street prices are to unsteady to base
comparisons on.  Also, note that my price was for 8Megs RAM, and PC RAM
sells for over $100/meg.

>if you are going to use cost as the primary basis

I did NOT use cost as a primary basis, but merely as a way of showing
similarly equipped systems with similar prices.  Is still hold that
the mac is better than the PC for all the reasons that I listed, i.e.
networkability, interface, lack of compatibility probs, etc.  Also note
that I used the Gateway IN PLACE of a "real" IBM, as my main point
was comparing systems without compatibility problems.

>Finally Gateway is not some fly-by-night company.

Agreed.  I prefer them over IBM.  The reason I used them instead
of IBM.

>My preference for computers is a Mac IIfx.

Mine too, but I also can't afford one.  That's why I have an SE/30

>Furthermore, the cost for even a basic color Mac is far out of
>line compared to getting a faster 386 and a larger hard drive.

But the 386 does not give you the advantages of the mac

>Seriously, until Apple can sell me the equivalent of an fx w/8bit
>color, a 150 meg drive, 14" monitor, 2 floppies,  etc. for under
>$3500, I won't be buying any Mac for home use.

Also see my article, re: you get what you pay for.  And remember, apple
is not in control of the prices of things like Monitors and HD's.  Lets
say current street prices of the two at $600 HD and $900 for a Trinitron,
that would make the price of the computer with video card, floppies, and
all the rest of an fx $2000. As a poor greedy consumer, even *I* can
say that that is ridiculous.  $2000 for one of the best personal
computers around, with serial ports, SCSI port, 256colors, 2 Superdrives
and the Mac System Software is really a bit unrealistic.

>As far as your "clone 8MHz 8088" remark, that would have been
>true 4 or 5 years ago, but now you can buy quality, power, and
>compatibility for under $3000.

I beleive that $900 was the price expectations of our original poster.
He wants even more than you.

Greg Trimper.  Just a rational guy with a rational mind, but the above
may not even be MY opinion, much less anyone I know.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 91 14:53:56 EST
From: Daniel Goldman <ST101824@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #36

Someone asked about a 40 MIPS Mac:  I don't know anything about Venture
Technologies, but I did see an 040 accelerator board demo at MacWorld Expo
last month (the vendor may have been Venture, I don't remember).  We
put it through the wringer to test compatibility and speed.  Well, an
LC with the the 040 board ran Mathematica without a hitch, and a 3D
graph zipped out in about a fourth of the time it took an fx to do the
job.  At a list price of $6000 it's no bargain, but I would expect that to
change within a year or two.  Anyway, yes:  it's fast.

                                         --Dan Goldman

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 91 19:06:34 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%ALIJKU11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac si Programmer's Keys

There has been much confusion where the Mac si's "programming switches" have
gone. Let me add my $.02 and correct some misinformation recently posted on
this list.

Reset Key
To reset the Mac si, press ctrl-command-powerOn. When you release the modifier
keys, the Mac will restart. Pressing the option key is not required.

Interrupt key
To interrupt the Mac si, press ctrl-powerOn. Unlike the older machines, the
Mac si will ignore the interrupt switch when no debugger is installed. It
will not activate the built in ROM debugger. I suspect that this "bugger" was
removed since noone really knew what do enter when the ">" appeared on the
screen. Install MacsBug 6.2 (see below) and the interrupt key will work.

By the way: I found this information in the manuals. The si comes with a
booklet that explains the differences from the older machines. I checked
the section on programmer's switches and there was all I needed to know.
Well, almost all: I had to find out the MacsBug "feature" by myself.

Speaking of MacsBug, I discovered a strange compatibility problem between
MacBug and 32-Bit-QuickDraw. I use a Mac cx here at the university. MacsBug
6.1 worked fine until I decided to install 32BQD. Whenever I then tried to
enter the debugger, the Mac played a cute melody and the screen went blank.
The only way out was by restarting the machine. The problem was solved by
upgrading to MacsBug 6.2, but this version refuses to work WITHOUT 32BQD|
Consequently, I installed version 6.2 on my si at home, and everything works
just fine. I didn't try 6.1 with the si, but I suspect that it would not have
worked anyway.

Hope this helps
 gu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 14:41 CST
From: Pam Gades <PAM%UMNMOR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Please Post

Hello from Minnesota!

I am experiencing some problems with a Mac IIsi running Excel 2.2.  I have
installed a NuBus Co-processor and I have an Apple 13" RGB Color Monitor.  When
   I am using Excel and switching between opened worksheets or trying to open
additional worksheets, Excel will quit and I get a message that says Excel
has unexpectedly quit, coprocessor not installed.  I am running under multi-
finder.  This has been happening more often lately.  If I close up some other
windows or applications and restart Excel, I can run again for awhile, but then
the same thing occurs again.

Another problem with the IIsi seems to be some sort of Appletalk network
conflict.  I have my system on an Appletalk Zone (Kinetics Fastpath 4).  On
this zone is one Apple Imagewriter II.  Things can be working fine with that
printer until I start up my system, or sometimes will run OK after I start up
but will cause the "printer not responding" error when I use something like
NCSA Telnet to access our DEC VAX system.
     I have been trying all sorts of tests to isolate a possible cause for
     this, but haven't found anything concrete yet.  Testing included swapping
     phoneNet connector, running without the NuBus co-processor board,
     reloading the system from scratch, running from a completely stripped
     down system, running with only my system on the net, etc.

 Anyone else out there experiencing similar problems?

 Oh yes, we have another IIsi running on the same zone.  It has a full page
 black/white monitor and no co-processor board.  That system doesn't seem to
 cause the net problems.  It only happens when I come on line with mine.

 PAM@UMNMOR.BITNET
 PAM@caa.mrs.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 16:48:34 EST
From: Margaret Minsky <marg@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Query: What are currently available DSP boards for the Mac?

I would like to find out what is available these days in the way of
DSP boards for the Mac (NuBus cards). I am trying to get information
for a friend; their application is best described as robotics control.
Boards that are oriented toward audio and so forth are definitely of
interest too.

Please send whatever information you have - just company, address,
phone # is useful. Of course, any description and specs of board, (the
processor and i/o details), and evaluation and in-use observations you
might have are even more valuable.

Please reply DIRECTLY to me, marg@media-lab.media.mit.edu, I DO NOT
read the info-mac list, but I WILL SUMMARIZE the information to the
list for everyone's benefit.

A couple of years ago someone on the list did a great summary of data
acquisition boards, which was very helpful, so I'll try to return the
favor.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 15:35 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reply: Un-terminating Quantum internal hard drives

Most, if not all internal drives are not treminated.  At least, all the
Apple internal drives are not terminated.  The only thing which is terminated
is the Mac itself, but that is something I wouldn't bother about.

If you want to terminate your double dutch disk, use an external SCSI terminator
   .

Good luck,

1. Line:        Gary
2. Line:        If you want it, you can have it!  (a signature from me)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 21:15:10 -0800
From: alobar@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66532000)
Subject: SE/30 and color monitor

Netters:
I have been running an SE/30 with an 8 bit Generation X V/30 color
card for over a year.  I have continuing problems getting my machine
to recognize the second monitor and nothing seems to help. At times
everything works fine for several weeks, and then I will tear my
hair out for a couple of days.  I have tried every system, init,
cdev, monitor cdev configuration with no luck.  If anyone has
experienced this phenomenon or has any suggestions please forward
them to me.

Thanks in advance,

alobar@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 16:40:40 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Standardized "README" files

>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
In IM 9/36, Larry Rymal makes an eloquent plea for application distributors to
use TeachText or some other commonly-available package to produce
documentation ("README" files). I would like to second that plea, and add one
of my own (although I'm certainly not the only one to have asked this!) PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE don't call your documentation file README. It is a pain in the
neck to download several items and unstuff them, only to find that each one of
them contains at least one file called README. I've also seen commercial
packages arriving on multiple disks, *each one of which contained a README
file*!

One of the really nice (and underappreciated) features of the Mac OS is the
ability to have long, descriptive file names. Live in the MessyDOS world for a
while, being forced to be creative with a few characters plus an extension and
you'll breathe a sigh of relief to be back on your Mac. Take a few minutes and
come up with a decent name for your documentation. At a very minimum, name it
"Wonder DA README", so that when it is unstuffed and thrown onto a hard disk
with lots of other files, I will be able to relate the DA to the
documentation.

Thank you, in advance.

Jerry Wilcox ISCJCW.UCCVMA.ucop.edu

Date: Sat,  9 Feb 91 14:29:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter Nikitas Handrinos <ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Startup screens

Can anyone point me to a good location for start-up screens, especially
for a color MacII?

End of Info-Mac Digest