info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/12/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 11 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 38

Today's Topics:

      [*] Apple University Prices - Report 2.1
      [*] Corner INIT Version 1.3
      [*] ISDN Level 1 stack
      About-  Mac Buyer's Guide
      AFE text translation problem!
      Anyone familiar with Kache finance tracker? (or others?)
      Archiving data unattended
      BBS Software
      Big Screen Question?
      Disk I/O speed on a IIsi
      Dollars and Sense
      DXF and/or HPGL file transfer to Mac
      Emulating an IBM 3270 terminal...
      Falcon Microsystems
      Generic CD-ROM drivers
      HARD DRIVE TERMINATION!
      Info-Mac Digest V9 (2 msgs)
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #34
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #37
      Mac Filing System
      Mac IIsi memory
      Modem
      Question about speaker amplitude
      Renewed request for standarized "README" files.
      Saving two cents at a time
      Slow IIsi
      X-windows for Macs
      ZMAC

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 17:35:00 PST
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Apple University Prices - Report 2.1

This report is a revision of my November 1990 report on Apple
Macintosh prices in Canadian and American universities.  It now
includes prices from 12 Canadian institutions, 14 U.S. institutions,
as well as Apple's Suggested (U.S.) Retail and HEPP I prices.

It is an 18-page, MS Word 4.0 (for the Mac) document, formatted to
be printed on a LaserWriter in Times and Helvetica fonts.  PLEASE DO
NOT ASK FOR A PLAIN-TEXT VERSION -- IT IS NOT AVAILABLE.  I used Word
4.0 to take advantage of the program's table-making ability.
Reformatting this report in plain text would be too time-consuming.
Similarly, I am NOT collecting new material, because I have no time
for future updates.

While some of the prices are dated, the report should still prove
useful to persons contemplating the purchase of a Macintosh
computer. I hope you find it useful.

A NOTE ABOUT FORMATTING THIS DOCUMENT.

If you get Geneva on your screen when you open this file, it is
because your Screen font IDs don't match mine.

To get the proper fonts (Times and Helvetica):

1.  Open the Style Sheet.
2.  Redefine "Normal" to be _your_ Times font.
3.  Redefine "title" to be _your_ Helvetica font.
4.  Close the Style Sheet & print.

All other styles are built from these two, and will be properly
reset when you make those two changes.

Jay Handel
Univeristy of British Columbia

[Archived as /info-mac/report/university-mac-prices.hqx; 64K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 09:53:00 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%ALIJKU11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Corner INIT Version 1.3

Ever needed to know the size of something on the screen? Ever tried to use
one of the many DAs and APPLs that are supposed to do the job? If so, then
you are probably tired of context switches and disturbing windows.

If you frequently want to measure things on the screen, then Corner INIT is
for you. Drop it into your System folder and restart. Whenever you want to
measure something, hold down the command key and click in the top-left
corner (that's where the name comes from) of the screen. A tiny "window" will
appear on to of the menu bar and display the cursor coordinates. A "delta
display" for measuring differences is also included.

Version 1.3 fixes two problems Corner had with multiple screens.

This is a BinHex'd Compactor archive. MacWrite documentation is included.

Oh, I almost forgot it: Corner is FREE| Enjoy it|
   gu

[Archived as /info-mac/init/corner-13.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  8 Feb 91 21:48:52 PST
From: TRADER@cup.portal.com
Subject: [*] ISDN Level 1 stack

I created this stack to simulate ISDN Level 1 (S/T Basic Rate).
Hopefully, it will pass through my site's mailer ok this time...

(file requires HyperCard 1.2 or higher & StuffIt 1.51 or higher
  to decompress)

Paul McGinnis

[Archived as /info-mac/card/isdn-level-1.hqx; 72K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 03:16:16 PST
From: "CRCVAX::QUICKM::\"Jim_Bethin$CRC_MAIL\""@bypass.span.nasa.gov
Subject: About-  Mac Buyer's Guide

Date	2/11/91
Subject	About-  Mac Buyer's Guide
>From	Jim Bethin
To	Posts for  Info-Mac

About:  Mac Buyer's Guide
In Issue 30, someone asked whatever happened to the Mac Buyer's Guide. Their
database has been expanded and turned into the Macintosh Product Registry. It
can be purchased individually at B. Dalton for about $12. It's about an inch
thick. Yearly subscription (it's a quarterly) is something like $40. Call
Redgate Communications at (407) 231-6904 or (800) 262-3012.

   Jim Bethin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 17:04:30 EXP
From: KIM YOUNG JAE <88272031%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: AFE text translation problem!

Apple file exchanger provides an option "Text translation",
 for standard ascii files.
But when AFE doesn't think the file is a text file,
  It ignores the option and forces to the default translation.
In fact,All I intended   was translating a binary file
  with CR/LF conversion.
Is there any way to prevent this kind of arbitration?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 14:57 PST
From: DANT@u.washington.edu
Subject: Anyone familiar with Kache finance tracker? (or others?)

Re: Anyone familiar with Kache finance tracker? (or others?)

I am looking for a basic finance tracker (checkbook, budget, catagories --
nothing too fancy).  I found Kache (from Kaleidos, $25 shareware) version 1.2
10/89 on a PD CD-ROM.  It looks promising but some features were "under
construction".  Does anyone have any experience with this software?  Where can I
get a newer version to test out?  Anyone have any other suggestions?  I am aware
that for $50 to $100 and up I can get a variety of commercial products.  I
figured that my needs were fairly modest and so too, hopefully, will be the
price.  By the way, I do not have Excel and so do not want Excel templates.

Thanks,
Dan Tomandl, U of Wash.
dant@u.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 18:26:20 PST
From: "William J. Lipa" <lipa@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Archiving data unattended

I am working on a project where we need to backup a megabyte or so per hour
to a removable medium. Additionally, the backup software must be able to work
in the background, and it needs to run automatically, since there
won't be a person there to control it. The system must be able to come
back up unattended from a power failure. 250Mb would be about the
minimum capacity.

Tape drives and WORM/CDs are certainly possibilities. I'm more
concerned about the software side of things. Creating our own software
is OK so long as the driver is reasonable and documented.

Any great ideas out there? I will of course summarize to the net.

Bill Lipa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 16:21 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: BBS Software

To all netters,
I'm looking for a bulletin board program to run on a Macintosh network
running AppleShare.  We're looking to post Mac-relevant news updates, a
list of applications on various Mac networks on campus, perhaps current
Apple price lists, and other items of interest.  We don't want to post to our
Vax system since some Mac users do not log onto our minis, so I'd like to
keep it local to the Macs if possible.  I'm sure others are already using some
program to accomplish these tasks on their Mac networks.  What programs
are you using, and how can they be purchased?  Please post to my internet
address and I'll summarize for the net.  Thanks.
Joy Aberback (JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA)
Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 08:59:06 EST
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: Big Screen Question?

Are there any INITs/CDEVs that allow my 19" color monitor to display
a smaller area but with larger pixels (i.e. zoom in)?
For example, map 1 pixel to a 2x2 or larger pixel?  I am using a
color Radius 19" monitor.

Thanks,
Barry Kirsch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 11:04:30 EST
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Disk I/O speed on a IIsi

I have a IIsi which was purchased with a dealer installed 100 Mb Quantum
hard disk drive in place of the Apple supplied hard disk.  The first
thing I noticed was that the time to duplicate a disk file seemed
much longer than my old SE/30 with an Apple supplied 80 Mb drive.  For
example, it take about 30 seconds to duplicate the MS Word application
(about 680K) on the si.  At work on a 20 Mb Bernoulli disk, a IIcx will
duplicate the file in 5 seconds and an SE will do it in 10 seconds.
The time is not appreciably affected by the color
vs. B&W mode on the si.  Note that recent speed tests reported on
the net have been for computation speed and not disk I/O.

Does anyone have any idea why it takes so long on the si?  Does the
Apple supplied 80 Mb drive take as long?  Would partitioning the disk
speed things up?

dick kalagher

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 07:59:15 -0600
From: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox)
Subject: Dollars and Sense

>Would anyone else have other pleasant/unfortunate comments about Dollars and
>Sense version 5.0?  I agree with Bruce about forgetting MYM, MacMoney, and
>Quicken, but I'd like some more feedback before shelling out $100+ for DAS.

My advice about Dollars and $ense: Wait until 5.1 comes out.  I've
used 4.1c for years, and last fall shelled out the $$ for an upgrade
to 5.0.  However, I won't switch over to the new release until I get
5.1 (which Software Toolworks has promised to send me when it is ready).

Actually, if you are just starting out, 5.0 is probably OK.  But here
is my problem:  Dollars and $ense keeps two years worth of
transactions in its database.  When you close out a year, it writes
year-old transactions into an archive file.  (For example, when
closing out 1990, all 1989 transactions go into an archive.)

This can tend to produce a large database file.  By the end of a year,
my file starts pushing 1.3Mb, much too large to back up to an 800K
floppy without going through the tedium of a compressor.  Fortunately,
D&$ lets you archive additional transactions and reduce the size of the
database.  This means that you can't look at those transactions
without unarchiving them again, but the database is a managable size.
I typically archive last year's transactions (after I've reconciled
all of the various statements) to keep the current database to a
managable size.

The problem - In 5.0, there is no way to recover the space used by
archived transactions in the database.  If you archive transactions
and then save your database, the database gets no smaller.  I worry
about the day when my D&S database fills up my hard disk!

I will say that user interface in 5.x appears to be improved over 4.1c.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 11:40:25 GMT
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DXF and/or HPGL file transfer to Mac

Here at the Polytechnic of Central London we have a lab of Apollo workstations
running AutoCAD, GABLE and PAFEC stuff (DOGS, PIGS, LLAMAS, TRIBBLES etc ;-) )
for the benefit of our architecture students. We also have a MacII with various
exciting stuff like FreeHand, Studio8 etc., but no CAD.

We would like to be able to get AutoCAD DXF files or any HPGL files into a Mac
vector format for the sort of artistic embellishment only the Mac can do.
Presently we have resorted to scanning plotted drawings with our Abaton 300GS.
This gives a pleasent jaggy cyberpunk art-tech look, but gets a bit boring after
a while!

Can anyone offer help on a cheap way to go (i.e I don't want to buy a Mac CAD
package)?

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.badger - JANET
marcus%badger.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 11:11:49 EST
From: broussard@anvil.nrl.navy.mil (Phillip Broussard)
Subject: Emulating an IBM 3270 terminal...

Netters,

We have a collection of macs connected by appletalk, which is then connected
to the ethernet by a Kinetics gateway.  We use NCSA Telnet for communications
to internet hosts.  Recently, we needed to connect to a machine(type unknown)
that requires us to emulate a IBM 3270 terminal to get a full page display m
ode.  Has anyone heard of a program that will allow us to do this, and do we
need just software, or will new hardware also be needed.  You can respond
to me at Broussard@anvil.nrl.navy.mil       Thanks for any help

                                                Phillip Broussard

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 11:13:00 EST
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Falcon Microsystems

I just got a flyer from Falcon that some of you might be interested in.
They are lowering the price of the Mac IIcx in support of the Federal
government (e.g. Desert Storm).  Prices are:

Mac IIcx 40/1 & 8 bit video card - 2217
Mac IIcx 80/4 & 8 bit video card - 2713
Apple RGB 13" color display - 656

These are GSA prices from contract GS00K90AGS5194.  Any federal employee
can order most items off this contract at the GSA price plus a small
percentage fee (I think 1% - don't quote me on that).  I just talked to Falcon
and they said that fed employees could order the cx.

Question - Are these good prices?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 15:42:54 EST
From: ken@dom.dom.uab.edu
Subject: Generic CD-ROM drivers

   (This is my first posting to Info-Mac so be gentle...)

   I received a free sample issue of DEVELOP from Apple a year or so ago with
the first issue of the CD inside. I didn't think much about it at the time and
didn't subscribe. About 2 months ago I came into posession of, as a loan, a DEC
RRD40 CD-ROM drive. On a lark, I hooked it up to my mac, slipped in the first
DEVELOP CD and nothing happened. So I went to the control panel and used Scsi
Probe to mount it and it did! Use of it was as expected after mounting.

   Last week a friend of mine loaned me Issue 4 of DEVELOP. With much
anticipation I loaded it and used Scsi Probe to mount it and nothing happened!
Has the format of the DEVELOP cds changed some how? Do I need a driver of some
kind in order to mount it? I was told third-hand that there might be generic
drivers for CD-ROM players. Does anybody have any information about these? Any
help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 17:50 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HARD DRIVE TERMINATION!

"Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET> writes:

>Most, if not all internal drives are not treminated.

WRONG!!!  Without the termination, the SCSI bus would have lots of noise,
and if you were to add a terminated external device, the internal device
would most likely not be found on the bus.

>At least, all the Apple internal drives are not terminated.

I have yet to see an Apple internal drive that did not posses termination.
I have seen quite a few drives.  I am holding an Apple internal 40SC
(Quantum Pro, taken out of an SE/30 yesterday) in my hands at this
moment, and yep!  There they are.  Three resistor packs in sockets.

>The only thing which is terminated is the Mac itself

Huh?  The Mac is terminated?  Why would the mac be terminated?  The
terminated devices are the first and last on the chain, no more than
two termiations per chain.  The mac is the controller/host for the SCSI
bus, and has an address of 7, but is not itself a SCSI device, thus
requiring no termination.

Where did you get these ideas from?

I'll restate: All internal devices SHOULD have terminating resistors
installed.  If you bought a mac without such (except the fx, which
it is advised to use the special 'black' terminator with), then you
should probably take it back to your dealer.  Apple would NEVER sell
an HD unterminated.  You can have no more than 2 terminations per chain,
before the first and last devices.  If you have an internal HD, then you
only need one terminated external device.

Greg Trimper.  Here@There.Everywhere  (TRIMPERG@LAWRENCE.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 09:01:47 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9

   Someone asked about closing all windows at startup.  For what it is
worth SecureInit has this feature built-in.  You can tell it to close all
windows at start-up.  It is also a rather full-featured security program
(recently reviewed, I believe, in an issue of MacUser or MacWorld).

Bret Ingerman          ingerman@suvm.bitnet         (315) 443-1114

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 09:34:15 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

   John McKinley asks about what happens when you double-click a document and
multiple copies of the app are available.  We use this feature on a number
of file servers here.  The story goes like this:  We have 20 copies of
PageMaker (non-multilaunchable).  I created 20 folders, each with PM.
I then created a start-up document and set it to SHARED with resedit.  Now
a student can double-click the startup document, and the next available copy
(i.e., one that is not busy) is launched.  This saves the student the trouble
of trying one copy, then the next, then the next, etc.  It seems that the
Mac seraches through each copy in the order it was created (although I think
that it is searching based upon the order in the directory tree).  IT works
like a charm.

Bret Ingerman             Syracuse University      Academic Computing Services
ingerman@suvm.bitnet   ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu          (315) 443-1114

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 18:03:02 PST
From: Scott_McLagan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #34

Is there a time server/client combo that will work over a LocalTalk network?
I've been reading, with great interest, about the Network Time 1.1.1 utility
which works with MacTCP. How about LocalTalk?

Thanks,

Scott
NBSN@mtsg.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:00:40 EST
From: Josh Hayes <JAHAYES%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #37

I note that NetBunny has been posted to the info-mac archives.
You should be advised that there has been some discussion of this
cute hack on comp.sys.mac.misc, and the author was informed by
Energizer folks that a) the bunny is copyrighted, and b) no, he
could NOT have permission to distribute it. I am a bit concerned
about the legal ramifications for info-mac, but of course, I'm
a scientist, not a lawyer. You might want to check on the status
of this little conflict before doing anything that might land you
in hot water....

Regards,
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056

[I have removed this file until we find out more. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 15:55 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac Filing System

The Mac behaves in a very stange way when you have more than one
application with the same creator (different versions) and you open one of
their documents.
I think that the general rule is that it will open the application which is
in the closest window (if its window is open). If the windows of the folders
where the applications reside are closed, then it opens sometimes one,
sometimes the other...

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 08:45:55 GMT
From: rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD)
Subject: Mac IIsi memory

In digest <9101290654.AA29214@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>What are the possible memory configurations of a Mac IIsi?  As I
>understand it, it has 1 meg soldered in and 4 SIMM slots.  What size
>SIMMs will they take and in what combinations?

As I found out a few days ago:

Since all four slots are one bank, all four have to be filled with the same
capacity.  So you can have 4x256K, 4x512K, 4x1MB, 4x2MB, 4x4MB.

Richard.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 14:51:46 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modem

I bought the DoveFax Modem, which is a 9600-Baud fax and a 2400-Baud
modem. It was something like $269 through one of the Mac vendors in the
back of MacUser.

I have nothing but praise for it. It is a joy.  It's not the lowest-cost
modem, but then it's a fax too.  Standard disclaimer: I've no connection
to Dove but as a satisfied user.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 09:32 EST
From: Jan <J_RICHARD@acc.haverford.edu>
Subject: Question about speaker amplitude

	A professor at Haverford College has designed a program involving
music perception and has some technical questions about the Macintosh
that she needs answered so that she can publish a paper on it.  Specifically,
she needs to know what the measure of amplitude is when adjusting the
speaker in the Control Panel.  Is it consistent among Macintoshes, or is
it a relative scale only?  If anyone knows anything on the topic,
please contact me directly, as this is probably not a topic of general
interest. 	Thanks,  Jan Richard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 08:00:52 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Renewed request for standarized "README" files.

I share Larry Rymal's frustration with the problem of reading README
files. However, I don't like the idea of making programmers abandon
their favourite word processor in favour of a gutless editor like
Teachtext. I think a better solution would be for the makers of the
various word processors to provide a PD reader/printer version of
their program. It's a simple task and it's time we applied some
pressure to Microsoft, Claris, WordPerfect, Ashton Tate, T/Maker,
Paragon Concepts, etc. to provide such a utility.

Although all word processors support MacWrite format, this is not an
acceptable approach because many formatting options are not handled
by MacWrite and certain problems (such as messed up margins or
indentation) always show up after translation. This is certainly
true for Microsoft Word, which does not perfectly translate MacWrite
files. Programs like Vantage and Quill which can read the text but
not the formatting of word processor files are not much use either.
Afterall, if the file was a simple bit of text, the author would
have just given us a text file, rather than a formatted word
processor document.

A more robust, commonly supported export format may be acceptable
(RTF?, GLUE?) but the translation would have to be one hundred
percent accurate for all formatting including complex tables,
multiple columns, footnotes, graphics, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:57:40 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Saving two cents at a time

I do hope that some shareware programmer with a little knowledge of bar
codes has noticed that the Post Office only requires a $0.27 cent stamp
on envelopes precoded with the nine digit zip.  It strikes me that
the Phone Company and major utilities shouldn't be the only beneficiaries
of this reduced rate.  I'll bet LaserWriters can be trained to print
the proper code information (apparently a stripe or two to the left of
the stamp for alignment as well as the actual bar code near the bottom
right of the envelope -- surely the U.S. Printing Office has some ungodly
tome with more design specs detail than anyone could possibly require).

I'd prefer picking my own fonts and formats for the return address and
address.  Probably good old copy/paste could both enter the zip in the
bar code processor and on the address itself.  Standard business envelope
size would do, of course, but being able to accomodate other sizes would
be a plus.

Some of the labeling software I've downloaded doesn't seem compatible with
where the Personal NT feeds envelopes (not having tried other LaserWriters,
I'm not entirely sure of the precise differences).

Needless to say, I'd much prefer passing the savings to some deserving
Mac programmer than to a large quasi-government agency :-)

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 10:56:49 GMT
From: rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD)
Subject: Slow IIsi

 In his posting, J-P Muller shows the 'unexpected' crap factor of the IIsi when
in colour mode, as measured by Speedometer.  I assume that his B-W figures are
for 1 bit-per-pixel screen modes.  What is the performance drop when using 256
grey-scale images?  Is it identical to 8-bit colour (as I would expect)?
Anyway, what proportion of IIsi users are _really_ using 8-bit modes all the
time?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 1991 15:39:05 EST
From: JULIO@servax.fiu.edu (JULIO E. IBARRA)
Subject: X-windows for Macs

Does anyone know of an X-windows implementation for the Macintosh that would
work over dial-up lines?  I'm only familiar with MacX and a ec Windows
implementation that comes with Pathworks for the Macintosh, but both of these
products I believe only work over Ethernet.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Julio Ibarra
Florida International University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 10:46:38 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: ZMAC

RE. Pons' complaint about ZMAC:
Ziff-Davis is a commercial company, so I find their offering advice and
software on CompuServe for no extra charge a remarkable action.
Although it is overpriced in my opinion, Navigator makes using
CS VERY Mac-like, and easy, plus speeding up the process so that you
spend very little of that expensive time online, and maximize your
efforts.  The script "ZMAC" which collects the online samples from
MacWeek is usually full of interesting and useful news, and takes less
than 5 minutes to download, from logon to logoff, using Navigator.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 18:03:38 CST
From: Richard Lee Holbert <X075RT%TAMVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>

   I am looking for information on a communications (??) package called
TinCan. Does anyone know of this package and where some Doc's to it
might be found???????

End of Info-Mac Digest