info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/15/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 14 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 40

Today's Topics:

      [*] RecipeWare 1.07
      [*] star'roids7.hqx
      [*] TogSndVol-30.hqx
      About-  HPGL file transfer
      A Final Note on NetBunny
      AppleTalk Line Monitor
      Application opening order
      CompactPro and Binhex
      Compiling a list of Mac Game Software
      DiskDoubler update?
      Faxmodems - you could do better than Orchard
      Fried Mac+
      How to toggle AppleTalk?
      IBM 3270 emulation via ethernet
      Mac Filing System
      OOP programming packages
      Printing Mac PS-files on IBM 4019
      Problems with system 6.0.5
      Rendering
      ResEdit 2.1
      se30,lc
      Standard README files on the Mac : TeachTextMaker
      Stuffit sources or IBM-PC Stuffit ??
      Thanks for the help on emulating a 3270...
      What is the TINCAN-L address?
      Word Missing?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 01:14 PST
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: [*] RecipeWare 1.07

RecipeWare is a custom database that keeps track of a
recipe file.  You can type in the title of a recipe, as
well as the ingredients and instructions.  ImageWriter
printing is available on 4 x 6" index cards.  All
commands are available via icons. Includes release notes
and over 70 recipes. YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED OWNER OF
PANORAMA 1.5 BY PROVUE DEVELOPMENT TO USE THIS DATABASE.
RecipeWare IS NOT a stand-alone application.

This database is for use on 13" or larger screens only.
It may work on the Apple 12" color or monochrome
monitors, but no testing has been done to confirm this.

Version 1.07 fixes a bug in window closing.  Freeware.
Stuffit Deluxe 2.0.1 archive.

Gann Matsuda

[Archived as /info-mac/app/recipe-ware-107.hqx; 50K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 8:43:25 EST
From: sm196103@eesun.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky)
Subject: [*] star'roids7.hqx

 The following is an auto extracting compactor file of Star 'Roids 7.0.

 The author has put forth this new version which has collectable battle
 pods, smoother graphics, black holes, enemy guided missiles and, of course,
 asteriods.

 For those of you who have gotten this before but earlier versions, I would
 urge you to try this one out.  He has fixed bugs, and made it possible to
 run on the SE/30 as well as all earlier Macs.  On a friends Mac IIcx it
 increases the playing area to full screen (13' monitor).

Anyway, I hope y'all like it, and thanx to the author - Jason Ferrara.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/star-roids-70.hqx; 173K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 05:30:49 CST
From: 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason)
Subject: [*] TogSndVol-30.hqx

The best way to control your speaker volume, period.  After installation,
the user can change the volume from within any application, and much, much
faster than one could do using the Control Panel.  Version 3 now pops up
a user-friendly window, with buttons.  Click the mouse or type a key and
that's all there is to it!  Includes Think C source code (that's why this
file is kinda hefty for an FKEY) and a mini-installer for those afraid of
ResEdit.  This version replaces any older versions (1.x, 2.x) lying around
anywhere.

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/tog-snd-vol-30.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 06:26:42 PST
From: "CRCVAX::QUICKM::\"Jim_Bethin$CRC_MAIL\""@bypass.span.nasa.gov
Subject: About-  HPGL file transfer

Date	2/13/91
Subject	About-  HPGL file transfer
>From	Jim Bethin
To	Posts for  Info-Mac

About:  HPGL file transfer
In a previous Info-Mac Marcus Harvey asked about moving HPGL files to the Mac
>From Apollos. As far as I know it can't be done with products that are available
here in US.  I've a reference to:

Cigraph s.r.l.
Via Brunacci, 9
30175 Mestre (VE), Italy   phone: 041-932388

Mapo  $620   HPGL to EPSF format translation.

Good luck, and PLEASE let us all know if it is really available!

   Jim Bethin  bethin%crcvax%6520.span@sds.sdsc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 14:32:51 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: A Final Note on NetBunny

I am getting many requests as to the disposition of NetBunny.  I wrote the
author Dean Yu and asked him for the real scoop.  Here is his response:

>   I asked Eveready for permission to distribute NetBunny, and they said that
> I shouldn't do it.  I'm asking everyone else not to distribute it, either, but
> of course, I can't stop anyone from actually sending it out...
>
>   -- Dean

So I will not be able to send out anymore copies of NetBunny.  Don't ask me
unless you know how to bribe me. It is available on the Developer's CD ROM, so
find one and get it from there.

I have written a letter to the president and legal departments of Eveready. I
encourage others to do the same.  I will not be purchasing any more Energizers
until I hear something from Eveready.

According to the address on the side of my AAs, you can reach them at:

Eveready Battery Co., Inc.
PO Box 6056
Cleveland, OH 44101

Granted this is hardly a major cause, but I think NetBunny is too funny to
languish and I think Eveready should rejoice in free advertising.  I also want
the 6.0.7 fix version that Dean can't distribute (you can't hear the drum
under 6.0.7).

For the uninitiated, NetBunny consists of an INIT and a StartWabbit
application.  When you start the rabbit it goes from machine to machine
banging its drum, just like on TV.  It only runs on machines running the INIT
and does not cross zones.  It doesn't seem to stop either, it keeps going and
going and going...

If you want to see it, write Eveready and tell them so.  I'd love to see them
receive enough letters to make them encourage it.  I told them that we are a
high tech crowd and we buy a lot of batteries.  Isn't it true?

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 16:15:32 BST
From: Ciaran O'Rourke <SCP23021%IRTCCARL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk Line Monitor

Hi,
    I am having some problems in attempting to write a line monitor for an
AppleTalk network and I can't find anyone who can tell me what I need to know.
      Briefly, I am writing a line monitor which should be able to run on an
existing node of the network without the need for a black box of any kind. The
problems I've encountered are:

1)  I need to place a wildcard node address in the SCC chip to read frames not
destined for the monitoring node, but I'm not sure if such an address exists.

2) Does reading a frame from the network remove it from the line?(i.e. if the
monitor reads a frame addressed to node 8, will the real node 8 still get to
see it).

3) Assuming I CAN get the monitor to read the frames I want to see, I obviously
won't want the monitoring node to respond to any of them. This could be a
problem with LAP control frames which the Appletalk interrupt handler will
respond to before my monitoring program ever gets to see them.

If anybody could help me with any of these points I'd really appreciate it.

Ciaran O'Rourke
<SCP23021@IRTCCARL>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 10:37 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Application opening order

Larry Pickett wonders what determines the order that applications are open by
MultiFinder.

Some time back I had the same question, desiring to have my small apps
(_Launch, and Kermit) load first, so when I quit the larger one (HC) a large
free block would result.

I discovered that the applications are opened in alphabetical order.

All startup docs/apps must also all be in the same level (folder). I renamed
one with an option-space at the beginning (the Finder won't let you put a
regular space at the beginning of a file name) so it loads first, and selected
the settings document (who's name started with a "low" character") for another
so it loads second, and HyperCard loads last.

Hope this helps.

Peter Jorgensen - microcomputer & VAX consultant - Colgate University
PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET - U0523.APPLELINK - (315) 824-7742

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 14:05:23 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: CompactPro and Binhex

It seems that the reason Compact Pro can't decode binhex files which
Stuffit can handle is that it doesn't know what to do with the header
information. In other words, if you strip the header so that the first
line of the file is "(This file must be...." Compact Pro will then
decode it.

But of course, having to do this completely eliminates Compact Pro's
speed advantage over Stuffit.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 12:59:46 EST
From: delingma%THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Compiling a list of Mac Game Software

Hi. I am currently working on compiling
a list of game software for the Macintosh.
I am looking for information on any Mac
games that are out there, be they PD,
shareware, or the standard type. What I
would like you to do is to pass me a list
of all the games that you have. I will get
back to you about which games I need
information on. Eventually, (Couple weeks?)
I will have a master list available for
people. What happens then, is if you know
about any games that are not on this list,
please E-mail me with details of where I
can get information on them. Information
that I would be looking to collect includes
Name, Author/Publisher, Size, PD/SW/standard,
copy-protected, how much it costs, where it
can be found, version, and anything else
that people want added into the list.

I am doing this because, although there are
a number of product registries for non-game
software for the mac, there is a gaping
hole for the game software that is out there.

So, Send me lists of stuff that you have,
and I will send E-mail back to you asking for
information on specific games.

Dan Lingman, Mac Fanatic and Vid Game player.
delingma@thunder.lakeheadu.ca

QUIT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 21:02:00 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: DiskDoubler update?

I just got Disk Doubler 3.01.  I think I read here or somewhere else that
the current version saves the original icons of compressed files.  Mine
doesn't.  Should I contact Salient for an upgrade?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 14:37:23 EST
From: Steve Strassmann <straz@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Faxmodems - you could do better than Orchard

  >I bought the DoveFax Modem, which is a 9600-Baud fax and a 2400-Baud
  >I have nothing but praise for it. It is a joy.  It's not the lowest-cost

Since nobody's mentioned the Orchidfax modem yet, let me just say
perhaps I should have bought a Dovefax instead. I discovered the
Orchardfax won't work in fax mode because it conflicts with any of a
large number of popular inits and utilities, including Pyro and TOPS.
A fix was promised "soon" back in November, and I'm still waiting.
Customer support never returns my calls, and told me they have no
plans to contact users if and when an update becomes available, so I
should just keep calling them. The user interface on the fax software
is not very friendly or flexible either.  I give Orchard a big thumbs
down.

Steve Strassmann
MIT Media Lab

------------------------------

Date: 13 Feb 91 13:35:00 EST
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Fried Mac+

We recently lost a Mac+ and were wondering if someone could shed some light
on where the culprit came from.

A small piece of sheet metal, a half inch square and labeled UG78A06, fell
onto the CPU board from somewhere inside the Mac+ cabinet.  The location it
fell on was G 1/2 (outside edge) between two ICs (G1 was marked
SN74L5393N - I8727G & G2 was labeled 74LS257APL) (the location is right
below the brightness dial for the screen).  The ICs were fried and the
piece of metal got hot enough to melt and scorch a small section of the
board and case.

So, where did that piece of metal come from? Do the numbers mean anything?
I'm curious more than anything else to know why there would be something
like that that could be knocked loose and fry something inside the Mac
in the first place.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 12:25 EDT
From: "Roger Marks, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov>
Subject: How to toggle AppleTalk?

I've got a simple AppleTalk problem. I'd like to get some advice.

I've got a serial printer on my modem port and another serial line connected
to the printer port. This works fine as long as I keep AppleTalk turned off.
However, in order to use Freedom of Press, I have to have AppleTalk turned ON.
This shouldn't be a big deal, as long as I can turn it on and off at will.
Unfortunately, I can't. The Chooser will let me turn it off, but will not let
me turn it back on again. I get the message that the printer port is in use,
which apparently is an excuse for refusing to follow orders. Quitting the
communications program which actually uses the printer port doesn't help. The
only successful tactic I've found is a reboot.

Is there a live way to toggle AppleTalk?

Thanks,

			Roger Marks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 12:07:44 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: IBM 3270 emulation via ethernet

If you are able to use NCSA Telnet to connect to internet hosts, you
can use TN3270 by Peter DiCamillo of Brown University to connect to
IBM hosts which require 3270 emulation.  This is available via
anonymous ftp from brownvm.brown.edu (128.148.128.40).  TN3270 also
supports IBM 3179 graphics -- a very nice program.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 15:10:09 CST
From: FLC3527@chemvx.tamu.edu   (Trey Campbell)
Subject: Mac Filing System

>If one double-clicks on a file, then the Mac opens the relevant application if
>possible, based on the files creator field. However, say there are a number of
>copies of, for example, Word (possibly as different versions) available to the
>Mac, possibly on a number of different logical drives, what criterian does the
>mac use to select the copy of Word to use?

The answer to this question can be found in Inside Macintosh, Vols. III and IV
and Macintosh Tech Notes (#29,48,141, and 210 to cite a few). When you double-
click on a document's icon, the Finder checks the Desktop file to find which
application "owns" that icon--and by extension the documents as well. The
upshot of this is the version that gets opened is the one that the Finder comes
to first. The order that the resources occur in the Desktop file depends on
when the application was put on the disk or moved (the new ones appear at the
top), how recently the Desktop was rebuilt, and probably several other factors
that I don't know about.

The current default drive is searched first, but I'm not sure in what order the
other drives are searched (it may be the same order that the system uses to
find the startup disk). Note, however, that if you have partitioned your hard
drive at the file system level (with SUM II or the like) that there is only one
Desktop for the whole drive, while driver-level partitions each have their own
Desktop file. In the former case, you can expect your partitions to be treated
as if they were a single drive, while in the latter each partition "appears" to
be a separate device.

Trey Campbell  (BITNET: FLC3527@TAMCHEM, INTERNET:FLC3527@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 17:37:26 PLT
From: Brandon Burch <GRAPHICS%WSUVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: OOP programming packages

Has anyone had experience or knowledge with the OOP programs MacAPP, C++,
ProGraph 2.0 or Serius Developer? If you have use either or both, what do think
is the better one? which is the easiest to use? which has most features that
are useful? how is the manual written? is the manual easy to understand? I
could go on with all kinds of questions, but I just would like to have some
opinion(s) of these programs as I am considering purchasing a OOP program.
ProGraph 2.0 and Serius Programmer or Serius Developer have intrigued me
because of the literature they have sent me, but I don't have much information
on the others.

Second, I have a friend that has seen some articles about some Quark Xpress
files called Freebies3.0 or Freebies 3.0 and FeaturesPlus. Does anyone know
where he can get these files? If you have them could you BinHex them and e-mail
them to me.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Brandon Burch
GRAPHICS@WSUVM1    Phone: 509 335-2871

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 08:48:43 CET
From: "Raymond J. van Diessen" <A6054RAY%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Mac PS-files on IBM 4019

I know that this problem has been discussed before, but the suggested
solution I have seen until now don't seem to work in my case.

At our deparment we are running an OS\2 network with 3 IBM 4019 laser
printers with postscript. For some time now I am trying to print
the postscript files I generated on my Mac (command-K).
I know that you have to change some Apple specific things, but the
suggestions present in the Info-Mac archives (imagen-postscript.txt)
don't work.

Are there any people who have encountered the same problems and have
a solution.

Raymond van Diessen  (A6054RAY@VM1.SARA.NL)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 09:11:56 PST
From: R._Mitchell_VanDuyn.Henr801C@xerox.com
Subject: Problems with system 6.0.5

Hello,

I hope I am mailing this to the correct person (sorry if I am not, and please
mail me the proper procedure. Tx)

I would like the following question included in the info-mac digest.

------
Problems with system 6.0.5

I recently was forced to upgrade to system 6.0.5 (via software I purchased that
required it)  I obtained a system file, and finder from compuserve and
installed them.

I found that two DAs caused problems (Deneba's Big Thesaurus and the MiniWriter
share ware program.)  The problem was that after copying these files and
rebooting a message comes up saying:  Problem with your system file....

When I take these two guys out, the problem goes away.  Deneba said they will
send a copy of their latest release ( we'll see if that helps!) but I was
wondering if there is a generic problem here I can fix myself.

I was also wondering if this kind of thing happens a lot (having different
software packages with contradictory system requirements) and what a general
solution is.   And finally - was there a cheaper way for me to get system 6.0.5
than downloading from compuserve?

Tx
Mitch
(Mitch.Henr801C@Xerox.Com)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 22:41:02 -0800
From: Tim Suh <tim@ocf.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Rendering

Does anybody do work with Mac's and 3D graphics? I was interested in
communicating with someone that has done work with Swivel Pro 3D and
MacRenderMan. I have drawn and exported .rib files from Swivel and
rendered them with Renderman. I was intersted in learning more about
material shaders and other lighting effects. Is there a way to do
reflections with Swivel and Renderman? I know that Stratavision does
mirrored surfaces, but it doesn't do tweening. I would really be interested
in knowing how to create mirrored surfaces and have them tweened to
.rib files for rendering.

Usually what I do is render a series of tweened files and then import
them into Director. Then I set the cast to time and I have a 3D animation
sequence.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has done anything similar.

thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 11:47:09 CST
From: Randy Bradley <MARC003%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1

Jeffrey Fritz mentions ResEdit 2.1.  Is this free-ware?  Where can I
get it?  I am using 1.1b3 which I think came with my compiler but I'm
not sure.

   Thanks...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 10:09:45 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: se30,lc

2 queries: 1. How can I make an se30 color ,how much, how good?
2. how can I hack the L C so that it uses the full 13 inches of the
screen instead of the patch it occupies at present?
Thanks. I will summarise for all if interest is expressed
G. Byron Stirling University. gsb1@uk.ac.stirling.forth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 11:50:33 +0100
From: Karl Pottie <GHGAQA0%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Standard README files on the Mac : TeachTextMaker

I'd like to contribute to the discussion about readme files on the Mac.

According to me such readme texts should meet one of these 2 requirements:
  *it should be bundled with the mac or
  *the document should be self-launching.

I won't discuss the second option, but only one program meets the first
requirement: TeachText.
TeachText has the ability to display pictures in the text, and hopefully
one day Apple will add multiple font support. Problem is how to
insert the pictures into the text. For that purpose, I wrote a program
called 'TeachTextMaker' , which you can find in the sumex archives.

I was planning to add several extra features in the next release,
like inserting titles into the text in multiple fonts, printing
in the font of your choise, etc...

But no one seemed to care enough to pay shareware. Up to this day I
have received NO shareware contributions. Does nobody use TeachTextMaker,
or is it because I live in Europe ? You tell me .
In these circumstances I have no direct intentions to continue
to upgrade TTM. Too bad for those who want standard Readme docs.

Karl

------------------------------

Date: Wed,13 Feb 91 09:43:52 GMT
From: K.Wolstenholme@sysd.salford.ac.uk
Subject: Stuffit sources or IBM-PC Stuffit ??

I don't own a Mac (yet - I've just received a flyer on some new UK
educational prices for the LC which are very tempting). But I need
to be able to decode some MAC archives.

There are no MACs in use where I work (I keep trying :-)) just
boring old IBM PCs and several workstations and minicomputers. I
have found an IBM/Unix un-BinHexer but am stuck now because most
Mac archive files seem to be "Stuffit"ed as well.

Does anyone know of a IBM-PC or Unix implementation of Stuffit ? I
would prefer a location within the UK or a mail server (or for
some kind soul to E-Mail it direct if necessary) but I can probably
find a path to most places (evetually).

Thanks for any help.

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 14:19:42 EST
From: broussard@anvil.nrl.navy.mil (Phillip Broussard)
Subject: Thanks for the help on emulating a 3270...

>Netters,

>We have a collection of macs connected by appletalk, which is then connected
>to the ethernet by a Kinetics gateway.  We use NCSA Telnet for communications
>to internet hosts.  Recently, we needed to connect to a machine(type unknown)
>that requires us to emulate a IBM 3270 terminal to get a full page display

>mode.  Has anyone heard of a program that will allow us to do this, and do we
>need just software, or will new hardware also be needed.  You can respond
>to me at Broussard@anvil.nrl.navy.mil       Thanks for any help

 >                                               Phillip Broussard

Many, many thanks to all you netters who responded to my above pleas for
assistance (and there were many of you!!).  For those out there who would also
like
to know the answer to the above inquiry, I will pass on the information given to
me.  Simply ftp (anonymously) to brownvm.brown.edu and download the file
tn3d19.sithqx (or get the file tn3270.read-me for how to get it in smaller
chunks).
Un bin-hex it, decompress with stuffit and you are off and running.

Again, many thanks to yUall out there.

                                                         Phillip Broussard

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 08:36:18 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <T710326%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: What is the TINCAN-L address?

What is the address for the TinCan discussion list (TINCAN-L)?  Thank much!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 15:41:44 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Word Missing?

Here's Tim Rushing's reply to those who offered advice with the
problem of non-opening Microsoft Word files on an Appleshare
network:

 I would like to thank everyone who offered suggestions on my
problem on an Appleshare network regarding files created by
Microsoft Word which could not be opened by double clicking on the
individual file icon unless the Folder containing Word was open on
the desktop.   By far the most common suggestion was to rebuild the
desktop, and indeed this will work for an individual Macintosh.
Unfortunately, an Appleshare network does not use the FinderUs
desktop file to locate files, folders and applications, so rebuilding
the desktop will do nothing for this problem on an Appleshare
network.
 What we ended up doing to fix the problem was to sign on over
the network as the system administrator.  We then dragged the copy
of the Microsoft Word application to the trash and emptied the trash.
Finally, we re-copied Word back into its folder on the network from
the original floppy disks.  This procedure seemed to update whatever
file or files an Appleshare network uses as a desktop file.  (I donUt
know what it uses, but IUm sure someone out there can tell us.)
 Again, thanks for all the help.   The thousand or so students
using the network, many of whom have never used computers before,
appreciate it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 1991 7:12:25 EST
From: BJAX@agcb1.larc.nasa.gov (BJAX)

In Issues 38 & 39, Richard Berry <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil> writes about a
flyer he received from Falcon Microsystems, a large East-Coast small computer
distributor.  He seems to have been informed that the "lowered" prices of the
Mac IIcx are in support of Desert Storm.  He also thinks Falcon was "formed" to
be Apple's sole distributor on the Federal government.

I wish to point out that Falcon simply bought up a lot of cx's from Apple when
Apple discontinued the line, and is simply trying to sell them and make money.
The only thing that Falcon is supporting is their profit margin.

Falcon Systems was in existence before the Mac, and sold minicomputer solutions
to various companies and Federal agencies.  They did jump on the Mac bandwagon
in a big way, and formed a new group, Falcon MicroSystems, that sells PCs and
Macs.  Generally, a good company, in my experience.  However, they would be
happy to sell to anybody, not just a government agency or employee.

They are certainly not the sole distributer of Apple products to the Federal
government. The government is bound by regulation to (usually) buy from the
lowest bidder; Falcon would like you to think that you have to buy from them.
You should be aware that they do not always have the lowest prices.

They do offer a "special" discount to Federal employees, but...

I would like to point out that a government employee, taking personal advantage
of a deal offered by a government supplier exclusively to government
employees, would constitute (IMHO) a gross violation of ethics.  Falcon pleads
innocence of trying to influence government purchasing decisions, but we Feds
have to toe the line.

-- Bruce Jackson  (bjax@agcb1.larc.nasa.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 1991 7:12:46 EST
From: BJAX@agcb1.larc.nasa.gov (BJAX)

In Issue 38, JULIO@servax.fiu.edu (JULIO E. IBARRA) writes:

>Does anyone know of an X-windows implementation for the Macintosh that would
>work over dial-up lines?  I'm only familiar with MacX and a ec Windows
>implementation that comes with Pathworks for the Macintosh, but both of these
>products I believe only work over Ethernet.  Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you would want to use MacX over serial lines.  The response time,
even running under LocalTalk is pathetic, and even pure Ethernet is much slower
than a native session on a workstation connected directly to the "client".

I'm pretty sure that the overhead of X.11 is the killer, and no amount of
impressive software tricks will be able to overcome this.  Any netters know
more about X.11 protocol?

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 11:18:59 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL%VMTECQRO.qro.itesm.mx@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Thu, 31 Jan 91 10:34 EDT Carl Zimmerman said:
>We had the same problem after doing the same thing!  The solution was to shut
>down the AppleShare server volume and rebuild the desktop.  Evidently
>AppleShare lost the pointers to the applications when the software was
>re-installed.

While you're doing this bit of maintenance, I recommend you also scan
the server volume for virus, with the latest version of Disinfectant
(available on the sumex archives, /info-mac/virus directory). There
are a couple of nasties crawling about, that cause significant server
degradation if they get into an AS volume's desktop.

Juan Courcoul
ITESM / Queretaro

End of Info-Mac Digest