info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/16/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 15 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:

      [*] finditv0.9.hqx
      [*] LeeMail 1.0
      [*] QuoteInit 2.2
      8*24 GC Problems
      AfterDark "flying toasters" (?)
      Barcode and save?
      Changing the current port in HyperCard
      CheckList
      Cosifit application
      Desktop Management
      disk usage package
      Excel macro help
      Extracting Sound from files.
      Fried Mac+
      Help with the Laserwriter driver
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #40 (2 msgs)
      K-12 dealers Apple only?
      KIP & CAP
      Mac LC
      MC68882RC25 FPU and NUBUS adapter board for IIsi
      Mouse Defrosting - Request for Software
      naming devices on appletalk
      NCSA Telnet & F1-15 Keys on ADB keyboard
      Printing under A/UX 2.0
      ReadMe files with DocMaker or TeachTextMaker ?
      Saving two cents at a time
      screen blanker for Mac II
      Signatures
      Standard README files on the Mac : TeachTextMaker
      TCPort
      TinCan
      What is the TINCAN-L address?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 08:24:27 -0800
From: Bradley A. West <brad@aerospace.aero.org>
Subject: [*] finditv0.9.hqx

This is a replacement DA for Apple's outdated Find File.
Find It! lets you search for multiple groups of characters in file names,
specify case sensitivity, and more.
It also displays scads of information about the files, including their desktop
icons!
This version (0.9) does NOT work on the Plus or SE.
Future versions will, as well as adding the capability to open found documents
and launch applications!

[Archived as /info-mac/da/find-it-09.hqx; 57K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 14:57:31 EST
From: laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Fyock)
Subject: [*] LeeMail 1.0

LeeMail 1.0 is a MacTCP-based SMTP mailer for the Macintosh.
With it, you can send and receive mail directly from and to
your Mac using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.  You must
have MacTCP (available from Apple) properly configured.  In
addition, you must be using "manual" addressing in order to
receive mail.

LeeMail is Freeware, so feel Free to give it to your friends!

Please email any bug reports and/or enhancement suggestions to

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/lee-mail-10.hqx; 106K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 00:35:18 EST
From: Stuart West <STU%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] QuoteInit 2.2

Here is a neat little program which is invaluable for all desktop publishers.
It will automatically covert straight quote marks into the curly quotes used in
typesetting. It will also generate m-dashes, ligatures and special characters,
and will suppress double spaces.

I've had no compatibility problems with programs such as PageMaker, ATM,
Xpress, Illustrator, etc.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/quote-init-22.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 23:31 EST
From: Miquelon@dca-ems.dca.mil
Subject: 8*24 GC Problems

>Jim Powlesland asked in Vol 9 N0 36: "Has anyone else experienced
>similar problems (system crashes, screen freezing, and general havoc
>with text and graphics displays on the screen) with the Apple GC card?
>Has Apple made any public announcements about possible problems with
>the card?"

On a IIfx (8MB,3 external HD, Radius gray scale Pivot and Apple 13"
RGB, system Version 6.0.5) I finally switched from an 8 bit card to
the 8*24 GC. My problem was mouse freeze up as soon as the desktop
appeared after booting up (I never got beyond that to observe any
other problems). It turned out that the problem was incompatability
between the accelerator init/CDEV that comes with the 8*24 GC card
(Vers 1.0) and the Radius Pivot init/CDEV (Vers 1.1). Without one
or the other in the system folder, all works fine; including the
8*24 card. Since I need the Pivot SW more than I need accelerated
color, my temporary solution is to work without the accelerator SW.

Radius says they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix;
no date promised. I did not talk directly to Apple, my dealer did
(before I discovered the specific incompatability); they were not
helpful. I have not seen anything from Apple (or anyone else) on
this problem.

So my advice is to suspect the accelerator SW. Try removing
_EVERYTHING_ except System and Finder from your System folder and
go from there.

Dave Miquelon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:15:12 EST
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: AfterDark "flying toasters" (?)

	Hey ho....

	I am trying to locate the modules for the AfterDark screensaver
which show "flying toasters" and also "fishes".  I have looked through
the ones available on sumex-aim.stanford.edu but to no avail.

	Can anyone help?  These are really amazing to see, especially the
toasters.

Thanks,
Loki Jorgenson    (loki@physics.mcgill.ca)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 10:37:10 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Barcode and save?

The kind folks at BBN.com were kind enough to send along a copy of information
they distributed about the new postal rate.  Evidently, I recalled seeing
a PROPOSAL for a special rate for bar coded mail that came out looking
ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY after the bureaucracy got finished with it. [note the
fractured logic: a mass mailing list is presumed to be more likely to have
correct zip+4 codes than a thinking human!] ("a camel is a horse designed
by a committee")

Here's a summary of what was finally adopted -

a rate for having a zip+4 code does NOT exist. what you are seeing is a
first class PRESORT rate. what this means is that if you:
1) mail 500 pieces or more on any given day
2) pay an annual first class presort permit fee of $75.00
3) prepare the mail as described below

  [bureaucratic details ommitted - complex - see your U.S. Postmaster]

the discount is given because some of the work has been done by the
mailer hence saving the post office labor. a discount was PROPOSED for
simply having the zip+4 code on the envelope but was rejected as there
was no was to ensure the correctness of the zip+4 code.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 12:15:59 +0100
From: Guy LOUIS <LOUIS%BUCLLN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Changing the current port in HyperCard

Is there an XCMD or XFCN to change the current port for the current
printer driver?

I use the Rinaldi's CURRDEVICE, SETDEVICE ... set of XFCN but these do not
modify the port...

Thanks|

Guy LOUIS

louis at slig.ucl.ac.be
OR
LOUIS at BUCLLN11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 11:09:17 EST
From: colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella)
Subject: CheckList

Hi, Folks.

I'm looking for a copy of a shareware program called CheckList,
which scans a PageMaker file and lists fonts used, linked files, etc.

If anyone has it, would they please post it to the archives.
Thanks a lot.

Wayne Colella		colella@emav51.webo.dg.com

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 91 15:46:36 gmt
From: J.Welford@edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Cosifit application

I wish to obtain some information about the COSIFIT application
for use on the mac.

This application was, I understand, referred to in a paper by
Martin TEICHER & Natacha BARBER in Computers & Biomedical
Research, No 23, 1990.  It is used for the detection of biological
rhythms from time series data and was developed at the Harvard
Medical School.

I am particularly interested in knowing whether Cosifit can be
obtained in the UK yet, and, if so, what the cost and other
purchase arrangements are.  I would also be interested to hear
>From current users of the application concerning its general
usefulness, ease of use, etc.  Please mail me directly with your
comments (to J.Welford@uk.ac.edinburgh), and I shall post a
summary of responses to this newsgroup.

Many thanks,

John Welford
Computing Service
Edinburgh University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 10:33:28 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Desktop Management

I'd like to find out what exactly one can do in order to maintain a small
desktop. Everytime I copy a file, no matter how small, it takes forever to
update the desktop. Yes I rebuild the desktop, quite frequently too, but it
doesn't seem to make *much* of a difference. Soon I get back to the three
second delay while it says 'updating desktop file' and then from there it
gets worse. I have heard about an init that *apparently* speeds up the
process of desktop management quite substantially. I *believe* it to be
called something like 'Desktop Manager' and is perhaps part of the Appleshare
server software. I was told it was published by Apple for the express purpose
of maintaining a quicker count of the disk contents. Is this the only way to
'speed-up' those copying sessions? Or are there other ways of doing it?

Anybody got an idea? Mail me directly, or through the net.

D. Bylsma

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 16:22 EDT
From: Covaleski <PTC@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: disk usage package

Hello,

Is there a public domain or shareware package that returns the usage of
a "stand alone" disk much like generating a complete server report does
for a device serving as an apple server.  Something that returns folder -
files in the folder - and space used.

Thanks,

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:58:16 EST
From: stroup@tsb.nrl.navy.mil (janet l stroup)
Subject: Excel macro help

The short macro segment below seems exceptionally simple
and straightforward but it just doesn't work.  I'm not
very familiar with Excel so it's a puzzle to me.  I haven't
turned up anything in the Excel manuals yet, though I'm
still looking.  My gut feeling is that it's a syntax
problem --we just don't understand the macro language
sufficiently.  Any help will be APPRECIATED!  Thanks!!   -Janet

=SELECT(!D4)		#select cell D4 in the active worksheet

=IF(("RC")<0,GOTO(A16))	#rel. ref. RC = prev. selected cell, ie, !D4
			#(we've tried explicit R[0]C[0], too, incase
			#"RC" might be interpreted as text); if cell
			#contents < 0, skip to another part of macro

=SELECT("R[1]C")	#if contents >= 0, select the cell in
			#next row, same column

=GOTO(A4)		#return to IF statement (in A4 of macro)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 08:31 AST
From: Jose Mendez - Universidad de Puerto Rico <J_MENDEZ@upr1.upr.cun.edu>
Subject: Extracting Sound from files.

Hi,

I've got an Mac IIsi and would like to use the sounds digitized in Hypercard
using the Audio Tool.  Can someone explain to me how do I extract these sound
resources from, say a stack?  I tried with RedEdit but I really don't know how
to use it well.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Jose Mendez

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 09:44 CST
From: <MPARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fried Mac+

Sorry, my last message was garbled due to my bad typing. Let me repeat
the essential message regarding the small square of metal: On my upgraded
Mac II the metal square fell onto the top of a floppy disk while it was
being EJECTED. From there it fell out of the machine and did no damage.
It seems that it could only come from within the 800k drive, from a
location above the plane of the diskette.

                Mel Park

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 18:25 EST
From: PJB94@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Help with the Laserwriter driver

I need to know where the LaserWriter driver stores its default values for
the various printing options and how, i.e. what resource in the LASERWRITER
file.  Options such as Cover Page, Color/Greyscale, etc.  I would also like
to know how these are stored in the printing records returned by the
print-job dialog box, i.e. which field(s) of the print record.

Thanks in advance,
Phil Brandenberger pjb94@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 08:35 CST
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #40

>But no one seemed to care enough to pay shareware. Up to this day I
>have received NO shareware contributions. Does nobody use TeachTextMaker,
>or is it because I live in Europe ? You tell me .
>In these circumstances I have no direct intentions to continue
>to upgrade TTM. Too bad for those who want standard Readme docs.
 I had a look at TeachText maker, but found that I was too cheap to pay
for an application which did something that I was already doing with ResEdit
...for free.  It just wasn't worth it to me.  I'm sure others had different
reasons, maybe some like the program.  For me, it's just too simple to type
option space and install the PICT.  I hope that you continue to add to your
application and improve it.  If you add the font info, etc., and set the price
at $10 U.S. or less, I *promise* to pay up.
MDClark@UALR.Bitnet  Mark Clark

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 10:30 CST
From: CS220X2A@ducvax.auburn.edu

In Info-Mac volume 9, number 40 (Mitch.Henr801C@Xerox.Com) wrote:

And finally - was there a cheaper way for me to get system 6.0.5
than downloading from compuserve?

Mitch,

You better believe there was a cheaper way.  You could have just taken four
blank disks to your local dealer and he would have copied System 6.0.5 free of
charge.

As to your DA problems, try getting the whole set of disks from your dealer.
Then use the installer program to install ALL of the system 6.0.5 files at
once.

Wade Williams
cs220x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 12:24:38 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.bitnet@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: K-12 dealers Apple only?

Has anyoneelse heard that Apple is trying to force its k-12 distributers
to be Apple only shops?  Didn't they try this before?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 08:52:57 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: KIP & CAP

CAP requires KIP.  KIP runs on a Kinetics box.  Does that mean a Mac which
is directly on the Ethernet can't talk to a CAP fileserver?  If I under-
stand correctly a Mac with an Ethernet card would have to have some driver
software which packages AT packets in IP datagrams for it to be able to
talk to a CAP host.  I'm I missing something here?

Is CAP still a viable option for file- and print service?  Could anyone
out there using it comment on its reliability, up-to-date-ness, etc...?

I will summarize responses to the net.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 01:12:40 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac LC

>2 queries: 1. How can I make an se30 color ,how much, how good?
>2. how can I hack the L C so that it uses the full 13 inches of the
>screen instead of the patch it occupies at present?

  SE/30 Color -
  Most people get the rasterOps 264 board. It has 32Bit True-Color
support and it's quite inexpensive. You can mail order them out of
MacWeek for around $650.

  LC -
  What do you mean use the full 13 inches of the screen? I think you are
mixing the 12" RGB Monitor and the 13" RGB. The 12" RGB has the same
resolution of the Mac SE. You cannot "patch" the resolution of the screen.
That's a hardware problem.
  Might I also point out that the LC will work with the Apple 13" monitor
just fine, but the maximum pixel depth will be 4 bits. If you want to run
the larger RGB monitor in 8 bit (256 color) mode then you will need to
also purchase a video SIMM.

Cheers
Geoff

P.S. Hey Wilson, send me some mail. My address file got trashed.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:14:17 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: MC68882RC25 FPU and NUBUS adapter board for IIsi

Hi. Will a 25 MHz square MC68882RC25 math co-processor chip snap in
nicely to a NuBus adapter for a MacIIsi? Does it matter the CPU chip
is 20 MHz while the FPU is 25 MHz? Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 22:51:36 EST
From: jeffrey templon <templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Mouse Defrosting - Request for Software

Hi All,

	All this talk of mouse defrosting reminded me that there used
to be an fkey at sumex called mouse-defroster or somesuch.  It is no
longer there.  Can someone repost it?  I need a software solution
to this problem, as I cannot seem to get my programmer's switch to
snap on to the side of my SE!

				Thanks	--	JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 01:25:50 EST
From: ken <LIEKENW%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: naming devices on appletalk

I seem to remember a little application called TheNamer that would assign
names to the printers on an appletalk network. Does anyone know where I can get
a copy?

      Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 11:04 CST
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet & F1-15 Keys on ADB keyboard

While running NCSA telent for my VAX connection, I've discovered that the
function keys F5-F15 do not work.  I did not find anything in the manual
discussing how to get them to work.

Can someone point me to an extended version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 that supports
these keys, or a set of key definitions I could load into my login.com?

-Tom

P.S.  I have been a registered user of ZTerm for over a year and was very
satisfied with the package.  But now that I have an ethernet card ...

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 91 08:56:00 CDT
From: dstewart@dallas.rockwell.com
Subject: Printing under A/UX 2.0

Does anyone have any experience with printing to an HP Deskwriter under
A/UX 2.0??  Is it possible or does A/UX only support Apple printers?

Any info would be appreciated.  Please reply directly to me though, as
I'm not yet on the mailing list, even though I've sent 2 requests in the
last 4 weeks to be put on...  (anyone listening?).

Thanks,
Dan Stewart

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 14:39 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ReadMe files with DocMaker or TeachTextMaker ?

Recently, there were quite a few postings breaking a lance for
standardized docs.
Two posibilities were mentioned: TeachText and DocMaker. The advantage
of the latter is clearly that the author can make the docs as
sophisticated as he wants.
There is one disadvantage to DocMaker, however. When docs are formatted
for US letter, authors should take care that they look good on A4 as well,
which they don't do in general (I am truly sorry we have different
standards in Europe, but this is how it is).
TeachText is not very sophisticated, but it is very easy to produce
TeachText docs which surpass the standard capabilities of TeachText.
There is a shareware program in the archive (/app/teach-text-maker-11.hqx)
which allows for easy incorporating pictures and text in different fonts
(as pictures).
Admittedly, in general the results will be less good than with DocMaker,
but reformatting such docs to ones own liking is much easier.

I have no connections with the author of TeachTextMaker (Karl Pottie
<ghgaqz0@blekul11.bitnet>) apart from an intensive E-mail correspondence.

Pieter Stouten <stouten@embl.bitnet>, <stouten@embl-heidelberg.de>.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 07:27:20 PST
From: The Moderators <claris!Info-Mac-Request%sumex-aim.stanford.edu@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Saving two cents at a time

The program InTouch, from Advanced Software, will print the zip code
bar codes on an envelope.  It also prints the additional "bar code"
located next to the stamp that helps the post office know which side
is up.

It's a rather nice program that handles many envelope styles and lets
you choose things like font & style along with options for logo's
rather than just plain text return addresses.  It even will print
extra messages like DO NOT X-RAY.

I've been using it with my LaserWriter IINTX and it works like a charm.

-- michael peirce, outpost!peirce@claris.com

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 15:52:50
From: Rick Jarvis <Rick_Jarvis.MATH_ONE@quickmail.clemson.edu>
Subject: screen blanker for Mac II

 screen blanker for Mac II
Can anyone suggest a screen blanker for the 020 or 030 processors (Mac II's, SE
30's, etc). I'm looking for something with no frills, but cheap and reliable.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 08:58:15 EST
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Signatures

I just arrived in my office to find that my recent submission to the
info-mac digest was returned with a note that signatures are no longer
allowed, and that I should resubmit without signature.  However, my
signature was all of two lines long, containing only my name, phone #,
institution & internet address, and no frills, silly quotes, character
graphics or any other frivolities.  I submit to you that this is re-
diculous... a minium signature contain such essential information is
necessary.  It would better serve the cause of saving network bandwith
and local storage space to reduce lengthy inclusions of messages in
replies.  If you agree with me, please let the moderators of this
digest know that it is so.  - Jurgen Botz.

[It's true that I have been harsh on some signatures. I have been trying
 to settle on guidelines for signatures that I am comfortable with and that
 seem reasonable. I have decided to allow signatures if they contain no
 extraneous graphics/quotations, and if they would fit on one line (80 chars).

 I don't agree that all of the information found in your particular signature
 was "necessary" or "essential". For example, your corporate/university
 affiliation is not relevant to EVERY message, though it would appear in them
 all if included in your signature. If it was relevant, you should have
 mentioned it in the message body!

 So far mail is 3 to 1 in favor of the abolition of signatures.

 -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 07:56:28 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Standard README files on the Mac : TeachTextMaker

TeachTextMaker is a very good idea for readme files, but lets face
it, we're talking about more than just small readme files. Many
shareware programs come with very extensive documentation on disk. I
don't think many people would want to write their user guide in
TeachText even using TTM. If you already know how to use Word or
WriteNow or whatever, the last thing you want to do is learn how to
use some other system to create your documentation. Afterall, what
did you buy and learn that fancy word processor for anyhow? That is
why I strongly favour a system by which writers can use their word
processor of choice, but the rest of us have a guaranteed, reliable
way of reading and printing the file. Come on Apple. Help us here.
There has got to be a way to get these wp companies to cooperate
just a little in providing either a common, robust interchange
format or freeware reader/printer programs.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 91 06:58:00 EST
From: "DANIEL C. CLARK" <clark4@ccf2.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: TCPort

Has anyone had any experience with a Novell program for the Comm toolbox
called TCPort?  And does Telnet/TCP work with it?

The reason I am asking is that I have a new application that will let a
Macintosh run a remote CAD session on our unix workstations .  It
emulates some sort of graphics terminal and uses the Comm toolbox and the
TCPort driver to connect with the proper host.  I have had no trouble with
it, but now my regular version of Telnet will not coexist peacefully.
I tried getting the MacTCP version of Telnet, but it quits as soon as it starts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Clark        Naval Research Laboratory
CLARK4@CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 10:45:50 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TinCan

On 13 February 1991 22:12:04 CST you said:
>At present I am using TinCan 3.0

A tad out of date.  The current version is 4.01.

> and find it to be the best emulator for YTerm, and the only way to produc-
>tively communicate with an IBM mainframe from a Mac.  However, for other

If your mainframe also supports Kermit, there are a number of very nice
(albeit expensive) programs which some might prefer.

>connections, BBS, VAX, other PC's VersaTermPro is the way to go.
>I think that TinCan is being distributed Freely.

*WRONG!!* TinCan is NEITHER freeware OR shareware!  Please don't distribute
copies yourself.  If your institution has a site license, prices may vary
or the program can be obtained by individuals from the Yale Computer Center
(I recall someone saying that the per copy price is $50, but I'm not sure
about that - our Computer Center has a site license and charges $20 per copy).

As a general rule folks, please check the documenation and be SURE you know
the author or copyright holder has EXPLICITLY authorized freeware/shareware
distribution before you make a copy of a friend or post it on a bulletin
board of one kind or another.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 00:40:32 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: What is the TINCAN-L address?

On Wed, 13 Feb 91 08:36:18 EST you said:
>What is the address for the TinCan discussion list (TINCAN-L)?  Thank much!

In general you can subscribe to any LISTSERV list by sending the command

SUBscribe listname your1stname yourlastname

to ANY handy LISTSERV (the one mailing you INFO-MAC would be a good choice).

You can get a list of LISTSERV lists with the command: LIST GL

The commands INFO REF
and          INFO GEN

will send you useful information about LISTSERV (you will save yourself much
grief if you read them).

Just be SURE you send the commands to LISTSERV@nodename and *not* to a list's
name.

LISTSERVs also will respond to commands by mail from other nets.  If
you don't know of any other, try:

LISTSERV@BrownVM.Brown.Edu

------------------------------

Date: THU, 14 Feb 91 11:08:07 EST
From: "Marc Dionne" <TRRMICR%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Hi everyboby,

I want to share my experience about some software to manager a lab of
Macintosh.

To limit the number of concurrently-running applications available in the
network we use Quota v. 2.0. This new version is wonderful and is very easy
to use. It can run on any AFP-compatible local area network, here we use it
on Novell Netware. It can monitor application launches that take place from
a file server or from any local disk drive and limit the number of copies that
can be running simultaneausly. Quota operates as a distributed process, so
your file server is unloaded by using this new version. It can produce useful
statistic. For about $500.00 your can support up to 50 simultaneous users on
a single file server. If you have to support more users, an extended version
is available.

This product is made by:

Proteus technology
10168-88 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5H 1P3 Canada
(403) 426-6794

To manage the version of your startup disk and the message to
display to the users at login, we use a freeware product by Noel Hunter
(Server Welcome 1.0). It's available in the info-mac archive
(/info-mac/util/server-welcome-10.hqx). It work very well.

To manage the Chooser Name, we use a freeware init/cdev made by Maurice
Volaski. It's a beautiful utility. It's available in the info-mac archive
(/info-mac/cdev/chooser-user-10b7.hqx).

To be able to send message to your connected user, we use a good shareware
product made by Joachim Lindenberg. It's available in the info-mac archive
(/info-mac/comm/broadcast-12.hqx). We modify this program with ResEdit
to made a copy for student that he can receive message but he can't send
message or answer to your message.

To be protected against virus, we use the best product in this kind of
utility, Disinfectant. That's a freeware made by John Norstad. It's available
in the info-mac archive (/info-mac/virus/disinfectant-24.hqx).

And finally, to protect your Screen, we use Moire. It's a shareware made by
John Lim. That's a beautiful screen saver utility. It's available in the info-
mac archive (/info-mac/cdev/moire-302.hqx).

With those programs, your network is manage easily.

P.S. I'm just an end user that is very very satisfed about those products.

Marc Dionne
Marc Dionne@Uquebec.ca

End of Info-Mac Digest