info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 18 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 42

Today's Topics:

      [*] Analog and Digital Circuit Analysis Programs: A Review (long)
      [*] DoveFax info
      [*] Flash-Editing freeware for Quark
      [*] IM DA 2.0 demo
      680x0 assembly on the Mac
      Access the Control Panel INIT
      AfterDark "flying toasters" (?)
      A Laserwriter Drawing Question
      Color control
      Compact Pro and BinHex (2 msgs)
      Dimming the screen thru software
      Disk I/O speed on a IIsi: CURED
      Flame on Shareware
      Games on IIsi
      Inter-Process(or) communications
      Medical image processing software
      MiniWRITER and 6.0.5
      naming devices on appletalk
      Pembroke font; Font downloading
      Please post some desperately needed files
      Printing Problems
      Quote-INIT
      Seek info-macl-request address
      Standardizing Documentation
      Standard ReadMe files for the Mac
      Startup Order of Applications
      SuperDrive Upgrade query
      TeachText (Maker)
      The Namer
      TogSnd vs. Set Sound
      Vision Lab info?
      What Program Called Me?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 18:47:23 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: [*] Analog and Digital Circuit Analysis Programs: A Review (long)

ANALOG AND DIGITAL CIRCUIT ANALYSIS PROGRAMS FOR THE MACINTOSH

Messages keep appearing on Mac newsgroups asking about analog and
digital circuit analysis programs for the Macintosh.  This is a brief
summary of two digital and two analog circuit analysis programs I know
about, plus three additional programs that may be of interest to
electrical engineers, students, and teachers.

The programs reviewed here are:

  --DigSim and LogiMac: two quite good digital circuit analysis programs
  --IsSPICE and Micro-CAP II: two rather poor analog circuit programs
  --MacFlow: a drawing program said to be good for drawing circuits
  --TLS: A very good wave propagation and transmission line simulator
  --PARAXIA: A package of optics programs from my own lab

[Archived as /info-mac/report/circuit-analysis-programs.txt; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:19:44 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] DoveFax info

Recently I sang some praises about my DoveFax. I received some queries for
information, so here's the best answers I could give...

[Archived as /info-mac/report/dove-fax.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 91 10:58:46 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: [*] Flash-Editing freeware for Quark

The following is a freeware extension for Quark Xpress which apparently comes
>From France originally. Its main intent is for service bureau installations.
After placing it in the Xpress folder and running the program, FlashEditing
will appear as a menu item under Utilities when any file is opened for edited.
When selected, the extension prompts you for various details about the job:
name of client, job number, resolution of output, etc. When all questions are
answered, the extension creates a two page (or more depending on the number of
fonts) Xpress document with all of that information formatted, and adds system
details, such as fonts used. This can then be output and given back to the
service bureau client along with the job.
       Disclaimer: I have no connection with the programmers of this extension,
but received it as freeware and am passing it along as such.
       Are there other Xpress free- or shareware extensions out there besides
those already posted to the info-mac archives?

Glenn Fleishman, Yale Printing Service

[Archived as /info-mac/app/quark-flash-editing.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 09:49:05 GMT
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: [*] IM DA 2.0 demo

attaching the demo version of the Inside Mac DA v 2.0. I am not
sending the full version both because of its size, and out of
deference to the wishes of the author, Bernard Gallet.

I suggest that the version that is now in the archives *not* be
deleted since the demo version has a much reduced manual. I do not
know if the demo version will work with the v 1.x manual.

M. Gallet's addr for those of you who missed it is:

660 Miller Ave
Cupertino
CA 95014

Best regards
Sak

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/inside-mac-da-20.hqx; 112K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 16:07 EST
From: Andrew Lewis <LEWIS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 680x0 assembly on the Mac

        I know C and Pascal (also BASIC :) ), and know next to nothing about
assembly level programming.  Can anyone recommend a good book that covers any
of the following:
        1) Assembly programming (for the concepts involved, not machine
           dependent any more than necessary
        2) Assembly for the 680x0 series chips, presuming a knowledge of
           assembly programming
        3) Assembly for the 680x0 series, not presuming knowledge of
           assembly programming
        4 and 5) Assembly programming specifically for the Macintosh, either
          with or without knowledge of assembly

Please send me your recommendations/stories/etc., and I will post my results
to info-mac.  Thanks!
Andrew Lewis - LEWIS@ITHACA - Disclaimer: No need, I'm a peon :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 21:38 EST
From: Wilson Chan <W0CHAN01%ulkyvx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Access the Control Panel INIT

>I am looking for a pd INIT that allows system administrators to prevent
>users from accessing the Control Panel.  I believe it is called
>"NoControlPanel INIT".

The easiest way to defeat this problem is to remove the desk assessory
"Control Panel" on all of the users machines using Font/DA Mover.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 11:54:05 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AfterDark "flying toasters" (?)

On Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:15:12 EST you said:
>	I am trying to locate the modules for the AfterDark screensaver
>which show "flying toasters" and also "fishes".  I have looked through
>the ones available on sumex-aim.stanford.edu but to no avail.

Those modules are included with version 2.0.  If you are a registered owner
of an earlier version, contact Berkeley Systems about an upgrade.  Otherwise,
order the program (only $22 from MacConnection, for example - (800) 800-2222).
The mail order price is comparable to a shareware price.  I bought it; I
love it; it astonishes my friends (there's LOTS more than just toasters :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 23:10:03 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: A Laserwriter Drawing Question

I'm doing some drawing in a program and I use XOR a lot to draw text on top of
white & black rectangles. Unfortunately Tech Note #72 (and experience) tells
me that XOR doesn't work on the Laserwriter.  I was wondering if anyone knows
a Laserwriter compliant technique for drawing text black on white and white on
black.  The only thing I can think of is to set up clip rectangles and change
the drawing color to draw the text twice.  Darned ugly.  Any other ideas?

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 09:41:51 +0200
From: Doron Eren <COEREN%WEIZMANN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color control

Hi there!
While working on my new Mac IIsi I found that for some applications color
is both unnecessary and very bad for performance. My question: Is there
some init/cdev which will allow to link an application with a specified
screen depth (i.e. 1 bit for word processors, 8 for graphics, etc.?)? If
not, can one of you out there write one? Thanks.............Doron

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 17:05:12 -0600
From: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad)
Subject: Compact Pro and BinHex

Graeme Forbes writes:

>It seems that the reason Compact Pro can't decode binhex files which
>Stuffit can handle is that it doesn't know what to do with the header
>information. In other words, if you strip the header so that the first
>line of the file is "(This file must be...." Compact Pro will then
>decode it.
>
>But of course, having to do this completely eliminates Compact Pro's
>speed advantage over Stuffit.

Bill Goodman, the author of Compact Pro, admits this was a mistake.  He has
promised to fix it in the next release.  I don't know when that will be.
It's too bad, because if it weren't for this one flaw Compact Pro would be
nearly perfect (for what it was designe to be, at least).

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 19:35 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)

A recent message notes that the current version of Compact Pro fails to
deal with header information in doing Binhex translations.  I discovered
this early on and, in reporting it to the author of Compact Pro, found out
that I was about the one hundredth in line.  Bill Goodman explains that
his original version had a filter for header information that keyed on
the (This file must be converted with Binhex 4.0) line.  Several of his
beta testers complained that this made it unworkable with files that had
no such line, and so he removed the filter from the first-released version.
He now realizes that this solution is by no means the best, so count on
a new release that has an appropriately smart header filter.

david a. belsley
boston college

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 22:31:25 EST
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Dimming the screen thru software

Hi netters,

In the Dimwit module of Pyro!, the screen gets slowly dimmed.  The manual says
"Dimwit requires that all online monitors have a software accessible brightness
setting; generally Mac II monitors do.."

I need to present a picture on the screen instantaneously, and I am currently
messing around with the Color Manager (CLUT stuff), but 24 bit cards do not
have a CLUT, and thus my method doesn't work in 24 bit mode.  Anyone knows (or
have *any* idea) how Pyro! does this "software brightness" control?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

						Hisham.

Bitnet: ABBOUD@CUA		Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:50:15 est
From: Dave Bursik  x4497 <djb@ctc.contel.com>
Subject: Disk I/O speed on a IIsi: CURED

Dick Kalagher (kalagher@mwunix.mitre.org) wrote wondering about
slow disk I/O on a IIsi.  I experienced the same problem and was
able to point him to a solution.

It turns out we both bought our IIsi systems from the same dealer
(Computer Age, a Washington, D.C. area Apple retailer).  Computer
Age sells Quantum disk drives with their own software (they adver-
tise in the back of MacUser as "CAi") and the drives that came with
our systems both had old versions of the disk driver software.

Returning to the store and explaining the symptoms got me a later
version of their "HD Prepare" disk preparation floppy.  Running
the initialization utility and selecting the "update driver"
action followed by a reinstall of the System and Finder cured
the problem.  The Speedometer Disk rating went from 0.34 to 3.97
(a factor of 10 if the ratings are linear).

So, if you're experiencing slow disk I/O on a IIsi with a Quantum
disk from Computer Age (CAi) [or any other 3rd-party source, for
that matter], you may want to check back with the dealer for an
update to the disk driver software.

DISCLAIMER: Despite this problem, I am completely happy with the
CAi Quantum disks I have purchased from Computer Age (the 105MB LPS
in my IIsi and the external 80MB drive I already had on my Plus).
The disks are fast and reliable, and the prices offered by Computer Age
are competitive.  I am in no way connected with Computer Age except as
a happy (though slightly inconvenienced) customer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 13:20:52 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Flame on Shareware

After reading Karl's impassioned plea (or, rather, disenvowment) and Mark
Clark's response about Shareware contributions... I began thinking.

We all download shareware. Most of the time, we think it's cool, and it keeps
us interested for a short time... then it goes onto a floppy to be thrown into
a corner to collect dust and be all but forgotten (probably before it's ever
considered to be worthy of a fee). But I'm reminded that this month is the ONE
YEAR anniversary of when my conscience got the better of me. I decided that,
yes, there were about five pieces of shareware (1 utility, 2 inits, 1 XCMD, and
1 game) that I felt I used over and over... that made my life simpler or more
enjoyable... and that warranted the fee that the author was requesting. I even
submitted a bug-report with one of the inits to try to do my part to make sure
it survived as a useful tool.

And, to this day, I've gotten ne'er a response... forgetting for a moment that
some of the authors said they'd send me "a disk with the latest version" or
"source code"... I didn't even get a note saying they'd received my payment.

I don't attest that this happens the majority of the time.... but I'm 0 for 5.
It seems that Shareware needs to be a two-way street. The users will support
the developers if the developers support the users.
By the same token... Mark... did you think to write to Karl and tell him what
you thought of TeachTextMaker... or how you thought it could be made better?

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 14:23:36 GMT
From: s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au (chapman alan)
Subject: Games on IIsi

Hi Netters,

I'm having trouble getting most old games like Rogue, Fokker Triplane,
MacGolf that ran on my '87 vintage SE to work on my IIsi.

They either bomb, hang, or run OK but the graphics are all screwed up.

I realise game manufacturers tend to push the hardware to the limit,
and this almost guarantees incompatibility with future hardware.

Has anyone out there come up with a solution, or is it simply not
possible to get them to work?

Please send any ideas to s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au

Thanks in advance... Alan Chapman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 15:21:16 EST
From: cohen@excalibur.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Neil Cohen)
Subject: Inter-Process(or) communications

Hello,

I'm posting this question for a friend who has no net access. Please
respond via email to me. I'll summarize if people are interested.

The situation is this: There is a program running on a Mac II which needs
to exchange data with another program running on a Sun workstation. It
seems to be possible to install MACTCP on the Mac and write some code to
open a socket to the U*ix machine and send/receive packets.

2 questions:

1) Is there a library around that implements the 'connect', 'listen',
'accept' etc. routines on the Mac side? (they are using THINK C 4.0)
Or does one have to use the MACTCP packet structures and just fill
in the parameter blocks and call the MACTCP routines?

2) Is there a package (either PD or commercial) that has a programming
interface from Appletalk that would allow one to open a unix socket?
I assume TOPS does this - is there a programmers interface that is available?

I gather that the current plan is to write code to call MACTCP routines
directly from the program on the MAC.

Email to: nbc@excalibur.itd.nrl.navy.mil

Thanks in advance,

nbc

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 23:34:38 EST
From: Churn_Hway_Wang@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Medical image processing software

I am looking for medical image processing software for Mac II's
preferrably fx. Please send information directly to me. I'll post
a summary if other people are interested.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 09:50:53 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MiniWRITER and 6.0.5

We've been running 6.0.5 Danish, Spanish, International, German, and an
under-development Irish and have never had any problems with the
miniWRITER. We've got miniWRITER 1.6 21Dec89. We do open it with
Suitcase.

There is one thing that disturbs me. The version of the miniWRITER
available in the info-mac archives comes with a text doc which says
that the miniWRITER is distribud with "a desk accessory 'suitcase'
file, a font 'suitcase' file, two templates (TEXT documents), an appendix
describing the details of ImageWriter printing, and [the] documentation."
But the version available in the archives has only the DA and the
documentation. I've been looking for the full version a while now;
I'll post it if I can find it.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 12:04:02 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: naming devices on appletalk

On Fri, 15 Feb 91 01:25:50 EST you said:
>I seem to remember a little application called TheNamer that would assign
>names to the printers on an appletalk network. Does anyone know where I can
>get a copy?

The Namer (version 2.1) is supplied on the disks that come with Apple
LaserWriters (I'd guess those disks are around your network site somewhere :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 1991 09:55:46 +0100
From: stricker@pyl.unibe.ch
Subject: Pembroke font; Font downloading

Dear Mac netters,

	I am looking for someone who can tell me, where I can get the
Postscript font Pembroke. A friend of mine wants to print some postscript
files on a LaserWriter and has used Pembroke on his Acorn Archimedes machine.
The question now is that we do not have this font installed on one of our
machines and I do not know how to download a font onto the Apple LaserWriter.
Can anybody help me in solving this minor problem? Is Pembroke on any of
the public domain servers? I looked at sumex and could not find it.
Any comment, clue or hint is greatly appreciated. Please send them directly
to me. Thank you and all the best

			Christian.
Chr. Stricker, Dept of Physiol, Buehlplatz 5, CH-3012 Bern;
STRICKER@PYL.UNIBE.CH

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 18:28 N
From: <WISMER%CFRUNI51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Please post some desperately needed files

Hi,

I have a couple of questions.

1) A few weeks ago there was the question, if someone could post Choosy (an
extension to QuicKeys 2). Could please someone feel pity for the netters not
having access to commercial services and put the complete update package on the
server?

2) While I am at it: Is it possible to post the MacUser Index they mention in
their February issue? I feel lost everytime I try to search for a tip or report.

3) I started to work with TCL of Think Pascal 3. Because classes for working
with dialogs are missing, I have been reminded of Dialog 1.0 by Bill Stackhouse.
Has he made a version adapted to TCL? Other sources?

4) Where could I get additional classes for enhancing the TCL? As mentioned I
can access neither CompuServe nor the Symantec BBS (408-973-9598).

5) Does an updated ftp-list exist?

6) I have bought the 25MHz SE accelerator from MacProducts. It does speed up
work quite a bit, but I had a few strange crashes. The sound isn't perfect
either. It came with an init from Novy. Does somebody have the latest version of
this init which may fix some problems?

Please excuse my English. Be assured that my Swiss German is much better

Dan Wismer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 23:40 EST
From: LLEDUC%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Printing Problems

Hello Netters,

I'm having problems printing archived screens and echoing to an HP DeskWiter
when working with White Knight 11.0.  Does anyone know the solution to my
problem?  In addition, does anyone know how to get in touch with the author
(Scott Watson) on the network?

Thanks for your help.

Leo G. Leduc
Laurentian University
CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 10:45:34 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Quote-INIT

Quote-INIT and its like can be handy, but remember to turn it off in
programs that don't like curly quotation marks.  Two good examples are
FileMaker, where the straight quotation marks act as a ditto sign to
copy the contents of a field from one entry to another and quote-INIT
foils the process, and simple text processors where your intent is to
create e-mail for posting.  Mainframes don't understand Mac curly
quotes and apostrophes.  Note the plethora of possessives that look
like this (including one I absent-mindedly posted the other day):

JohnUs problem is worse since his catUs vomit fried his motherboard.

Those extra U's are replacements for curly apostrophes.  I just turn
on smart quotes in those programs that allow them, like Word, and
do them manually elsewhere.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:34:47 CST
From: Christopher Owens <owens@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Seek info-macl-request address

Could someone please post or email the address to which I send mail in
order to be added to the info-macl mailing list (for Macintosh Allegro
Common Lisp)?

thanks

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 12:55:34 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Standardizing Documentation

It would seem to me that standardizing the stand-alone documentation of
software is not the issue. TeachText files, which, while not being TRUE
stand-alones, are a format that everyone can read by way of the simple fact
that everyone has TeachText from their systems disks. DocMaker, if it's the
utility I'm thinking of, produces stand-alone documents... again, everyone can
open them and read them because if this fact.

What gets ME is when I get a docs file in Word 4.0 format (or worse yet, some
OTHER format from some strange little WP nobody's ever heard of). I don't LIKE
Word... and don't want to BUY Word... and as of yet, I've found no other WP
that will convert this rather new format. I end up, running it through a filter
and placing the file into PageMaker just to read it. Seems like a rather
lengthy and involved process just to read a doc. I would say that, if a
developer doesn't want to use DocMaker, or Doctor... or one of the other
self-contained stand-alone document creators... save the docs in `Text-only '
format. It's a format that all the WPs seem to be able to read. It won't come
out looking as nice... but that's better than not coming out at all... at least
>From a users point-of-view.

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 10:23:12 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Standard ReadMe files for the Mac

It seems that the least a person could do is include TWO files with their
posting.

       WonderApp.readme
       WonderApp.reademetxt

All our favourite wordprocessors have a Save As TEXT feature, do they not?
Sure, you lose the graphics and cute fonts (and I love 'em too) but there
are times I want to check the docs on the fly just for the text content.
(Quill does this but I sure wish it had keyboard commands to open docs like
miniWRITER does.)

Note by the way that the examples I have given above do NOT read

       ReadMe.WonderApp

This is so I can find everything that belongs to a given download by
sorting by name. Of course, it would be even MORE convenient if posters
would post things inside

       WonderApp Folders!! :)

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 15:09:06 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Startup Order of Applications

   Peter Jorgensen recently replied with how to change the names of
your applications to start in a particular order.  He said that he uses
"option-space (since the finder wont take a space."  Well, it is possible
to put a regular space as the first character.  All you have to do is type
any letter as the first character, then type your spaces, then delete the
first character.  This then gives you the option of having space, and option-
space, stack in a different order.

Bret Ingerman

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 21:46:37 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperDrive Upgrade query

I don't seem to remember reading any comments on this one.
The Macs: one SE and one SE upgraded to SE/30
The need: SuperDrive upgrades
The query: Are they only available from Apple, or are there reliable
third-party upgrades too? Is all one needs the Drive or are there
extra chips or other nasties that have to be got too?

Thanks,
Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 23:16:14 EST
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: TeachText (Maker)

> ...did you buy and learn that fancy word processor for anyhow? That is
> why I strongly favour a system by which writers can use their word
> processor of choice, but the rest of us have a guaranteed, reliable
> way of reading and printing the file. Come on Apple. Help us here...

How about having your favorite word processor capable of saving the document in
TeachText format?  Kinda makes sense to me.

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 13:50 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The Namer

Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.bitnet@umrvmb.umr.edu> writes:

>Has anyoneelse heard that Apple is trying to force its k-12
>distributers to be Apple only shops?  Didn't they try this before?

True.  And for the colleges as well.  This really is NOT good for
places such as the small college here, where the closest Apple-
only dealer is 100 miles away...  So much for regular service....

Greg Trimper              Here@There.Everywhere

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 12:30:29 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: TogSnd vs. Set Sound

TogSnd looks nice, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer this
more complex FKEY approach to setting speaker volume levels when the
old (1985) SetSound DA is smaller, simpler, faster, and still works,
even on my SI running System 6.07.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 22:07:54 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gregory S. Fox" <gf0c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Vision Lab info?

I'm looking for a pointer to the latest version of John Raymond's
Vision Lab software for the Mac.  [The version I have is .67, but
I thought v1.0 might be available].  An FTP site would be great.

Also, if anyone knows the author &/| how I can contact him, that
would be great, too.

Thanks,
--Greg

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 91 20:14:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: What Program Called Me?

This sounds arcane, but: I am porting a fortran program to the Mac and I need
to emulate a VAX capability wherein a subroutine knows the NAME of the
program that called it. This is not frivolous, it is used to make up a filename
of the form PROGRAM.txt for an output file to tag where it came from. Is there
a way to do this on the Mac? Since this is a pretty nice "inside mac"
question, I will repost solutions, if I get any...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 15:02:16 -0700
From: con_mdp@selway.umt.edu (Michael D. Post)

Hi net!

Thanx for those who replied to my mail-order hard disk question.
The overwhelming response was to go with APS, and we have done
so with good results.  Says alot about a company if the entire
Mac community responds favorably to it...

I'm trying to find an old backup program called HFSBackup
that was shipped on a Jasmine hard disk I worked on several
years ago.  Does anyone know of the whereabouts of this?  Or
another Share/Freeware backup utility?  I have HDBackup, but
it's too limited for my purposes.  I am lacking funds at this
time to buy something commercial (what I'd REALLY like is
SUM II, but I'll have to wait).  So if anyone can point me
towards one, I'd appreciate it.  Thanx!

Mike Post
CON_MDP@SELWAY.UMT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 FEB 91 10:10:11 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu

As a quick piece of advice to Peter Jorgensen and others who may have a
desire to rename a file in the finder to have a space at the start, e.g.
troublesome CDEV/INIT's or as in this case startup APPL's....

 Rename the file HyperCard to "x Hypercard" (no quotes !!!) and then select
the x and delete it (BS)... This fools the finder into letting you have a
space at the front of the name....

Rob Scoffin -- Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Oxford --> scoffin@uk.ac.ox.vax

End of Info-Mac Digest