info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 18 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 43

Today's Topics:

      [*] BASIC Programming on the Mac: List of References (long)
      [*] Chicago-Nice init
      [*] Glider+ 3.0
      [*] Glypha 3.0
      [*] SoundMaster 1.65
      [*] Stella Obscura 1.0
      An INIT to switch monitor modes
      Application opening order
      bitnet file servers
      Call for a desktop publishing digest
      Color-saving Telnet
      Digital Circuit Design and Analysis Program available by FTP
      email address for John Lim
      how to post on info-mac digest
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #42
      INIT Conflicts
      Insider Selling
      Is my power supply dying?
      LASERWRITER PATCH?
      Looking for "MacInUse"?
      MacX Upgrade
      NCSA telnet
      Scan analysis of gels
      SGI rgb files on a MAC
      Stuffit 1.5 with A/UX

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 14:34:59 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: [*] BASIC Programming on the Mac: List of References (long)

The following is a list of books and other references for programming
in BASIC on the Macintosh, collected by Professor A. E. Siegman, E. L.
Ginzton Laboratory MC-4085, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305.

Comments and additions will be welcomed, and can be emailed to
siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Internet) or RW.AAP@STANFORD (Bitnet).

[Archived as /info-mac/report/programming-in-basic.txt; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 10:08 EDT
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: [*] Chicago-Nice init

Hello there.
Here is an Init I picked up recently. I substitutes a different font for the
Chicago that is normally used in Menu bars and Windows. The font is quite
pleasant looking, very legible and reminds me of a menufont I saw in a
System 7.0 demo.
Anyway, the docs say that the init doesn't patch any traps, so it should be
pretty inoffensive, as far as any other inits are concerned. I run ~30 inits,
and it hasn't caused me any trouble.

Enjoy!

Read Fritsch
RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/init/chicago-nice.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 01:24:04 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Glider+ 3.0

Here is an old description to this great game
...an arcade-style game where the objective is to
pilot a paper glider or dart through 15 rooms by riding drafts from
floor and ceiling vents while avoiding collisions with furniture and
other nasty obstacles.

This version is much improved and fixed.
Written by John Calhoun of Soft Dorothy Software.
This is a self extracting Compactor archive.  Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/glider-plus-30.hqx; 153K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 01:18:51 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Glypha 3.0

Here is Glypha which is very similar to the William's arcade game
Joust.  This version is much improved and fixed.  Hope you
enjoy it.  Written by John Calhoun from Soft Dorothy Software.
This is a self-extracting Compactor archive.  Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/glypha-30.hqx; 240K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 20:17 EST
From: Andrew Lewis <LEWIS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] SoundMaster 1.65

Here is the latest version of SoundMaster by Bruce Tomlin.
According to the blurb in America Online, the only difference
between this version and 1.64 is that there was a problem with
the creator/file type of the settings file.  Changing this from
sPth/sPth to sMst/sMst is in effect an upgrade to 1.65 :)
Nonetheless I am including the file for archiving, and
downloading by the less adventurous.
--Andrew Lewis, LEWIS@ITHACA

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/sound-master-165.hqx; 59K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 01:09:38 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Stella Obscura 1.0

Here is another Soft Dorothy Software game.  This one is a somewhat
dimensional game.  Get two boxes and make a viewer for this space game.
Enjoy!  Written by John Calhoun.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/stella-obscura-10.hqx; 144K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 20:51:58 -0800
From: Tim Suh <tim@ocf.berkeley.edu>
Subject: An INIT to switch monitor modes

In a previous message Doron Eren asks:

> Is there some init/cdev which will allow to link an application
> with a specified screen depth (i.e. 1 bit for word processors,
> 8 for graphics, etc.?)?

There is just such an INIT for just such a purpose.  It is a combination
INIT/CDEV called HandOff II. It is written by Fred Hollander and distributed
by Software Innovations, Inc. Unfortunately, it is commercial software. It
uses Switch-A-Roo technology by Bill Steinberg to automatically switch
monitor settings after an application has been launched. Using the CDEV,
you can assign any application to a monitor and sound level setting. For
example, when you launch your word processor, it will automatically switch
to 2 bit, volume 4. It also has some other nice features such as "Application
Substitution". This feature allows you to link a particular file type to
another application for launching from the finder. This way you can avoid
the "the application to open this document doesn't exist" message. I believe
the current version is v1.1.3; it is available through various mail order
companies.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 16:01:40 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Application opening order

There is some discussion about the order how several startup
applications are arranged.  If you choose the application or document,
and in "set startup", choose open selected items, then they will be
opened by alphabetical order, as Peter Jorgensen said.  But if you do
not choose any icon in Finder, and there are already some applications
opened, you choose "startup with opened application and DAs", then they
will be opened by the REVERSE order of what you actually open these
applications, AND any DA will always open last (i.e. it will sit on top
of the memory!), not matter when did you you actually open it.

EXAMPLE:

        I open VersaTerm, HyperCard and MSWord in order, then in set startup,
I choose "startup with all opened applications".  Then the startup order (the
order when the application names appear on the menubar) is:  MS, HC, and VT
then it will completely open VT, then MS, finally HC (sound like a cyclic
order).  When all the thing is settle down, HC will leave on the top (not VT).
Though in the memory (check the "About Finder"), the order is MS-HC-VT (that
means you can immediately increase the unused block size by quitting VT).

        But if you have a DA opened, such as VT-FastFind-HC-MS, then the start
up order will be MS-HC-VT-FastFind, and after everything is completely opened,
the FastFind DA is left as the top window.

The major problems of these two methods are:
(1) in the first case (selected items), you can select a document as well as
an application, but everything you
want t select have to be in the same folder (Can one select two item in
different folders at the same time?)   Besides, you cannot select DA to be
opened in startup.

(2) In the second case (choose opened applications & DA): you cannot
open a document at startup.  Besides, there is a much serious problem:
DA will be get open last, thus the small size of DA block the
continuity of largest unused block:  you have to quit the DA first then
to free quit a application to free up the usable block.

This is one of the instant I would consider to be the big handicap of Mac
style OS vs. the character based DOS or UNIX.  All of these should really
be done cleanly with a script language (where is AppleScript?)  The point
and click way is excellent for beginner, but when someone start playing
around with a lot of startup INIT, set startup automation, he is no longer
a beginner, and should not be limited by the requirement that everything is
GUI.  I would imagine things will be more straight that one can write a
simple text script to pick all INIT or CDEV to be activated (specified by
full path then one don't need to put everything into the system folder,
and INIT and CDEV can be shared by multiple systems (like English and Chinese)
on the same harddisk).  In the same file you also specify all the applications,
DAs, documents, etc. to be opened at startup.  All the confusion about the
ordering should gone.  And the order for INIT and CDEV should be easily
control (you don't need to add in those special character or empty space
to force them to be open first).  The Init-Cdev picker should be obsolete
since you can simply comment out the line to deactivate it.

At last, a belated greeting:  Happy the Year of Sheep to all!

		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91  0:26:45 EST
From: "pmdmfmc" <pmdmfmc%buacca.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: bitnet file servers

Are there any other bitnet file servers other than Macserve
72155,1560
@Pucc?  I would like to find a file server that has many of
the files that are at the FTP site at Stanford (sumex-aim.stanford.edu).
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 1991 23:21:11 EST
From: jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
Subject: Call for a desktop publishing digest

Call for a desktop publishing digest:

Several users have expressed an interest in starting a digest to exchange
information on desktop publishing in general, and on the subtleties and
complexities of specific programs, including, but not limited to, Quark
Xpress, Aldus PageMaker and FreeHand, Adobe Illustrator, Ventura Publisher,
Framemaker, Interleaf, and Fontographer. Please note that these would not be
system level discussions; they would deal more at the user-level. Also,
technical discussions of PostScript for its own sake (and not how it related
to these programs) would be covered in the PostScript forums and digests.
   Caveats aside, every user of these and other programs has discovered
some excellent work-arounds, irritating problems, or elegant solutions.
These could be shared for the benefit of all. I have also set up contacts
with Quark, and I'm receiving quick shipment of Zappers and other
software to be available to list members and the net_community at large.
Hopefully similiar agreements can be made with other publishers.
   Some emphasis will be placed on use of service bureaus and medium- to
high-resolution output devices (Linotronics, Agfas, Varitypers, etc.)
without becoming overly technical.
   The list organizers (myself and Glenn Fleishman of Yale) also have
conventional typesetting backgrounds, and we manage service bureaus at
our schools.
   At this point, the mailing list aliases haven't been set up, but the
list will be a simple mail-exploder, where incoming mail to the list is
sent out to all list members.
   For more information, or to join the list, contact either:

Glenn Fleishman, Yale University Printing Service
E-mail: glenn_fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu

Jeff Wasilko, Rochester Institute of Technology Communications Dept.
E-mail: jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu or jjwcmp@ritvax on Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 14:45:18 EST
From: Bill Brandt <WBRANDT@cms.cc.wayne.edu>
Subject: Color-saving Telnet

In Info-Mac Digest v.9 #39, Jeff Hallett said:
>Subject: NCSA Telnet 2.3
>
>Anyone know how to save  the color  information in a session?   Saving
>the set and reloading it loses the color info for me.

  I ran into this problem awhile ago. Actually, having two monitors, I was
hoping to find a version of NCSA Telnet that remembered the window location-
saving the window colors was secondary. I finally found NCSA Telnet 2.4 Beta
at ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu. This version saves window locations and colors with
each set. As for it being a beta copy, I've been using it for probably six
months now without encountering any errors. You can do anonymous FTP into the
directory NCSA_Telnet:Mac:Telnet2.4Beta: for a copy. As far as I know there's
no way to save colors in 2.3.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 19:10:41 EST
From: jeffrey templon <templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Digital Circuit Design and Analysis Program available by FTP

This is a followup message to an earlier posting about circuit analysis
programs available for the Mac.  There is one not mentioned - it's called
Galaxy CAD which is developed by the ECE Dept. at University of Wisconsin
in Madison.  I have not used it very extensively, but it appears to
work for digital circuits only.  It helps you draw the circuit diagrams,
it has a library of components (gates, timers, ICs, etc.)  The library
components also contain the logic truth tables, and you can test the
circuit by attaching "probes" to the leads to monitor what the output
does as a function of input.  You can input digital waveforms.  Busses
are supported.  Also you can take a design and turn it into a component
for later use in other circuits; the program will give it a symbol for
the drawing but still keeps the logic stored inside so it can still do
the analysis.

The program is written in the galaxy language, which is available from
the same location.  It runs on the Mac, the HP-9000, and the Apollo.
The FTP location is

	eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu.

I cannot mail people copies of this software, the distribution is extremely
large (well over 500k) and I have long since deleted it from my minicomputer
account.  You will need to have a copy of Mac Tar, available from sumex,
to unpack the programs, and you will also need some macbinary-aware
mini->mac transfer software.

Hope this helps someone.

					Jeff

i have no affiliation with the program other than being an infrequent
user.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 91 16:37:47
From: Rick Jarvis <Rick_Jarvis.MATH_ONE@quickmail.clemson.edu>
Subject: email address for John Lim

 email address for John Lim
Does anyone know the email address for John Lim, author of Moire? I could not
find it in the Moire docs. Thanks to those who replied about Mac II screen
savers.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 91 13:42:00 MDT
From: "Michael DeKay" <mdekay@clipr.colorado.edu>
Subject: how to post on info-mac digest

I'm interested in purchasing a full-page monitor with 030 acceleration for my
mac SE.  The best deal I've seen is from Mobius ($995 for a 25 MHz 030 with a
full page monitor).  MacUser seemed to like the 16 MHz 68000 version for $795,
so I would imagine that they would like the 030 version as well.

Does anyone out there have any experience with Mobius products, or one of their
full-page monitors in particualar?  How do you like it?  How's the service,
etc.?

Am I overlooking other good options?  It seems that there are some good
accelerators out there, but they either don't take monitors at all, they require
an adaptor ($$) to take a monitor, or the accelerator/monitor combo that could
be put together would be downright expensive.  Am I missing something?  Should I
wait to see what comes out in the next few months?

Finally, Mobius charges an additional $249 for the 25 MHz FPU.  I've seen 'em
for as low as $180.  Where's the cheapest place to find one?

Please respond via e-mail to mdekay@clipr.colorado.edu

Thanks to whomever responds.  Mike DeKay, University of Colorado.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 18:18 CST
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #42

>By the same token... Mark... did you think to write to Karl and tell him what
>you thought of TeachTextMaker... or how you thought it could be made better?
No, Carl, I didn't write.  But I should have.  Now that we're on the subject
of TeachText, shareware, payup time, etc., may I add these comments?:
I run the National Geography Cup Competition on America Online.  Schools
across the United States are invited to have teams participate in the
competition.  To support the competition, I upload plain text files, America
Online Text files, and HyperCard 2.0 versions.  I did look at TeachTextmaker
as one possible solution, but found that *many* users *do not* have TeachText
on their floppy systems or hard drives.  The nature of the competition we hold
is pertinent to the discussion in that it illustrates the difficulty of
achieving real standardization that meets everyone's needs.  The NGC
competition consists of five daily scenarios involving a character who becomes
hopelessly lost while on vacation.  Each day's scenario must reach users
at the same time.  I cannot use TeachText alone due to multi-platform
requirements, but also due to the fact that not everyone has it (or understands
that they do).  It would be nice if there were a single solution that met my
graphics and text needs, but this is not the case.  As someone who communicates
to large numbers of people, I recognize that it is *my* responsibility to see
that what I send out can be understood.  Most shareware authors that I have
dealt with also support this philosophy by including multiple versions of
documentation.  Perhaps if online services made this a requirement for posting
shareware, the problem would be solved for the user and left to the developers.
It is my opinion that this is where the responsibility lies.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 10:34:42 GMT
From: s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au (chapman alan)
Subject: INIT Conflicts

I am looking to compile a list of current INIT CONFLICTS.  With a good response
I will compile a comprehensive list of conflicts and post it back here.  The
information I will require is:

* the name of the INIT
* the version of the INIT
* the name and version of the "thing" with which it clashes
* possible fixes??

Note : clashes may be with other inits, system, finder or applications.

Please respond to s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au by email.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Chapman,
Tutor, University College of Southern Queensland
Australia

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 18:23:24 -0800
From: Alex C. Woo <woo@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>
Subject: Insider Selling

I recently noticed that insiders within Apple have sold over 500,000
shares since the beginning of February.  Included in this total is
one block of 400,000 shares.  Besides record high share prices is
there something that the officers and directors know that we don't?

Alex Woo
woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 16:21:50 -0500
From: ak751@cleveland.freenet.edu (Mark Saltzman)
Subject: Is my power supply dying?

	Lately I have noticed that when the edge of my screen changes from
white to black (as in selecting text) the image becomes warped.  I have an
SE FDHD with two internal floppies AND an internal hard drive.  I was
assured by Microtech, the makers of the hard drive, that this configuration
would not cause problems.  Were they wrong?  Does my problem have anything
to do with an increased strain on the power supply?
thanks,
-mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 15:37 EDT
From: <LONSTERE8185%SNYONEVA@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: LASERWRITER PATCH?

Does anyone know what to patch to disable the printing of multiple copies
with a single job on an Apple LaserWriter?
The idea is to prevent users from printing hundreds of copies of a single page
by executing a single COMMAND-P from MacWrite or SuperPaint 2.0

Thanks!

 ROSS LONSTEIN
 LONSTERE8185@SNYONEVA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 22:27:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "Edward P. Costello" <ec1k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Looking for "MacInUse"?

Hi there,
I'm looking for an application/cdev/init called Mac Inuse (I think
that's the name).  Basically, it kept track of how long one was logged
on to a Mac and how long one ran different applications.  The gist was
that you could use it to keep track of what you did and when you did it
for billing and tax purposes.

I checked the archives but couldn't find anything resembling it.
Am I dreaming, or did this really exist?

-ed costello
-mapw program, carnegie mellon university

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 20:03:07 -0500
From: jmalciere <jmalciere@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: MacX Upgrade

Does anyone know whether Apple has an upgrade program for MacX?  I'm currently
using version 1.0.1, and I've heard tell that version 1.1 is much faster.  Also,
does anyone have first-hand experience with version 1.1?  (Is it really faster?)

Please respond to the digest, since I can't receive inbound mail.  Thanks.

John Alciere
Xyplex, Inc.
Boxborough, Mass.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 15:22:56 -0800
From: Tim Suh <tim@ocf.berkeley.edu>
Subject: NCSA telnet

Is there a way to capture long text files using NCSA telnet (via kermit or
direct capture)??

I recently found a computing center on campus where a number of Macintoshes
had direct links to the school's unix system. I can logon to the system
using NCSA telnet. It seems, however, that NCSA only holds approximately
2 or 3 pages of text in memory until it scrolls by. It would be ideal if
I could use kermit or a direct capture (since it's a direct connection,
there is no such thing as line noise) to get binhex files onto floppy. This
would save a great deal of time as I usually logon from home at 2400 baud.
That way I could just come into the computer center, pop in a floppy, and
get all the recent mac stuff.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 10:59 N
From: <MLAMMI%FINKUO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scan analysis of gels

Hello net people,

I have been looking for a Macintosh application for
analyzing polyacrylamide and agarose gels and once
I saw an introduction of program called Scan Analysis.
The properties were nice, but one important thing
was missing, the name of the producer and where it
can be ordered. If anybody down there knows the
address or has used this application, or any other
application capable of doing densitometric analysis,
I would be delighted to get more this information.

Please, send your replies directly to me, because at
the moment I am not able to follow Info-Mac. My Bitnet
address is

        MLAMMI@FINKUO

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 12:27:22 -0500
From: macmgr%tammy@das.harvard.edu (Mac Manager)
Subject: SGI rgb files on a MAC

Could someone relate there experience regarding the conversion of
Silicon graphics screen dumps to tiff files on the mac.  I've had some
success with the conversion to PICT, however, SGI seems to have eliminated
the color information.  I hope the tiff conversion includes color.  So far,
I have been unable to get Canvas to read the resulting tiff file without error.

Thanks

Andrew
macmgr@tammy.harvard.edu

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 14:48:11 LCL
From: "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ, 315-443-4504" <DECARTWR%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Stuffit 1.5 with A/UX

When I try to run Stuffit 1.5 under A/UX 2.0 with System 6.0.5, I get the
message "The file 'Stuffit 1.5' could not be opened/printed (the application
is not compatible with the running System).  Suggestions?

End of Info-Mac Digest