info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The Moderators) (02/22/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 21 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 47

Today's Topics:

      [*] explode-cicns201.hqx
      [*] FileList-14.sea.hqx
      [*] ICON Crash 2.0
      [*] ns203u_sea.hqx
      AppleTalk Line Monitor
      Claris Public Folder, EtherTalk
      Crashed Disk
      Cricket Graph file format
      Digitizing tablets
      Driving an ASCII printer as a dumb TTY
      Files--CMS/VM etc.
      Files greater than 256K..
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #46 (2 msgs)
      Keyboard equivalent to open a DA
      Laserwriter access
      Lisp and Logo are available!
      map clip art
      Pedigree Draw ?
      PLEASE HELP with a MAC PLUS PROBLEM...
      Previous question re Quantum Drives
      Prodigy, CompuServe, and other on-line: Question on Accounting
      Pseudo-FPU init and Image on IIsi
      Puppy training?
      Quote Init 2.2
      Shanghi 2.0 & System 6.0.7
      Stuffit Module
      Technical Notes
      X-10 Controllers

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 00:22:54 -0500
From: Scott E. Lasley <lasleyse@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] explode-cicns201.hqx

Here is Explode Cicns 2.0.1.  This program will create an entire
icon family from a cicn resource.  This version replaces all 1.x
versions and version 2.0.  New features
  Ability to create a cicn from an icl8.
  Ability to open 'SunD' as well as 'rsrc' files.
  Fixed a memory mamangment bug in earlier versions.
  Better cicn window handling.
Send comments and bug reports to me and I will respond ASAP.
lasleyse@cscwam.umd.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/explode-cicns-201.hqx; 137K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 17:53:38 EST
From: doug@end.tufts.edu (Doug Larrick)
Subject: [*] FileList-14.sea.hqx

Enclosed is version 1.4 of FileList, a program to catalog files on disks.
Please replace the copy already in the archives, as it was compiled in such a
way that it would not run on Mac SE-class machines.

FileList will descend into Stuffit and Compactor archives as is they were
folders, can sort the information collected on any field, and can generate a
text-file report.

I have no connection with the author, or the previous poster of this program.

The source is also available in the archive, in the /info-mac/source/c folder.

-Doug Larrick

[Archived as /info-mac/util/file-list-14.hqx; 51K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, Feb 17, 1991 4:30:28 PM
From: Mark H. Anbinder <mha%memory.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: [*] ICON Crash 2.0

Subject:  ICON Crash 2.0                                 Date: 2/17/91

ICON Crash! 2.0 - 6 February 1991

An After Dark screen-saver module
Copyright 1991 by Adam Miller

This module reads the ICON resources from your active System and
bounces the icons around the screen.  The user can configure the
maximum number of icons that will be displayed at once, which will
have the effect of speeding up or slowing down the bouncing.

A Watchmenesque smiley-face icon bounces around the screen with
the other icons, and if the user so desires, each icon will explode
on contact with the smiley-face.

After Dark is neat, and is a trademark of Berkeley Systems, Inc.
ICON Crash! is free, but please tell me what you think and tell me
how far it has spread!  Write via Internet to Adam_Miller@memory.uucp,
via private e-mail on Memory Alpha BBS at 607-257-5822, or to:

    Adam Miller
    105 Cornell Street
    Ithaca, New York 14850

Future updates will be available on Memory Alpha BBS.

Version History:

 1.0 - December 1990 - The original ICON Crash had a set number of icons
                       and no explosions.

 2.0 - February 1991 - Added user controls to specify maximum number of
                       icons at once, and whether or not icons should
                       explode on contact with Smiley Face.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-icon-crash-20.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 23:45:39 -0500
From: Scott E. Lasley <lasleyse@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] ns203u_sea.hqx

Here is a utility to update your Now Utilitites from version 2.0
to version 2.0.3.  It updates CEToolbox, DeskPicture, MultiMaster,
Profiler, Screen Locker, Startup Manager, Super Boomerang, and
WYSIWYG Menus.  Downloaded from CIS.

Scott E. Lasley
lasleyse@cscwam.umd.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/now-utilities-203-updater.hqx; 312K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 16:52:20 BST
From: Ciaran O'Rourke <SCP23021%IRTCCARL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk Line Monitor

Hi,
   First off, I have to say a heartfelt thanks to those who responded to my
 queries about the apppletalk line monitor, especially Kee and Takeshi. Their

 1) disabling bit 3 in write register 3 in the SCC chip (the "ADDRESS SEARCH
    MODE"  bit) should allow me to see all the frames.
 2) even if I do this   , I can't allow the appletalk driver to take control
    because it will get confused trying to handle frames that were never
    addressed to the monitoring node in the first place. Therefore,  I have
    to write my own driver for the port.

    Inside Macintosh (volume 2, chaopter 6) gives a lot of helpful information
on writing device drivers. At least, this information would be helpful to
people with the technical know-how and experience that I don't have.
Basically, I'm asking if anybody knows where I could get some driver source
code which I could build on to manipulate the port. I know this is the lazy
man's way of doing things, but it would be much simpler to build on someone
else's code rather than start from scratch.

    Again, many thanks for the help I've already got,

    Ciaran O'Rourke
    <SCP23021@IRTCCARL>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 12:13:09 PST
From: mowat@sdrvx2.sinet.slb.com
Subject: Claris Public Folder, EtherTalk

Any suggestions on this problem with Claris Public Folder? It appears to
work okay between Macs with LocalTalk. However, on Macs with EtherTalk
(specifically, Mac IIx with Mac EtherTalk NB board, EtherTalk version
2.0.1), while they can see other Macs' Public Folders, other Macs cannot
see Mac/EtherTalk Public Folders.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 18:35:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter Nikitas Handrinos <ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Crashed Disk

I have a MacIIcx which crashed the hard drive. When I use Norton it
can't mount the drive. Sum will scan the scsi port as well as SCSI cdev
and locate it, but can't mount it. Any ideas on how to get it back?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 1991 10:34 CST
From: Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL%uwrf.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cricket Graph file format

A colleague of mine would like to do conversions of data files from different
versions of Cricket Graph.  He needs to know the file format and structure
for non-tab-delimited data files in Cricket Graph version 1.3.2.  Does anyone
out there have information about this?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dan Lunderville      Bitnet:   ACS_DANL@UWRF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 17:01:32 -0500
From: dahanson@colby.edu (David A. Hanson)
Subject: Digitizing tablets

Can anyone suggest a graphics tablet for use with the Mac?
(Preferably with an SE/30, but any other model is OK)
We'd like to go to 24 X 24 or a bit larger
(improving on the 9 x 9 Zeiss we now use).
The project is to add contour overlays to ecological maps.

Many thanks in advance!

David Hanson
Colby College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 20:36:49 -0500
From: salzman@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Driving an ASCII printer as a dumb TTY

Is there a freeware or cheap shareware printer driver for a simple ASCII
printer?  An industrial-grade solution (e.g. Grappler) would be overkill,
since I ask nothing more than the ability to send 8-bit bytes to a serial
port on demand.  [I assume that buffering is handled by the System?]
Please respond directly and I will summarize in a message.
  - David Salzman
    salzman@athena.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 19:41:51 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Files--CMS/VM etc.

Another question for the land of info-mac:

Under what conditions can a file of macintosh origin be handled by a vm/cms
machine? i.e. is it at all possible to just 'dump' the file onto cms?
I ask this because of a module recently obtained that is found in the
sumex archives. Called 'binhex', I thought it would convert the file into
a mac readable format that could then be ported over, via networks, or
telecommunications directly to a mac. Silly moi. It converts the files to the
macbinary code, which in turn must be handled yet again by another batch
processor that I have yet to find. Speaking of batch processing, is there
a program that batch de-hqxs files? I saw the file 'batch-binhex' (or something
to that extent) and obtained it, but all it seems to want to do is convert
everything to ms-dos format, but the menu choice seems dimmed for hqx format
to mac format. Any help here would be appreciated.

Please either mail me direct, or post responses on this digest.

Thanks in advance,

D. Bylsma

------------------------------

Date: 21 FEB 91 12:56:56 CDT
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Files greater than 256K..

Howdy from East Texas,
I am sure that this has been addressed before, but, I will bring it up
again.  So far I have seen at least two files which I for one cannot get
through Listserv@Ricevm1 due to the size of the files.  My question is,
why are files in Rice mirror archives of Sumex-Aim site greater than
256K if I am not allowed to get files greater than 256K?  Has someone
forgotten to break them up for Rice?  Or am I not allowed to have those
files due to my being on Bitnet and not on Internet and am restricted from
using FTP ability other than BitFTP@PUCC.  However, navigating through
for me is not always the easiest.  The best solution for me would be if
someone at the Rice site would either: 1) allow files greater than 256K
to be sent accross, or, 2) break up any files greater than 256K into
smaller pieces.  The two files that I know of that are greater than 256
K are Video Poker (Game) and Carbon-Copy (Demo).  Thanks.
Oh yes, any replies, please send to my account direct.  If there is
enough interest, I will post a response on the net.  Thanks.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 17:24:01 EST
From: "Michael S. Holtzman" <HOLTZMAN%SJUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #46

<Hi y'all,
<  Does any one know of a product that will allow the mac to switch on and off
<an (better yet, more than one) electrical outlet?  For example, I could turn on
<a radio, or something, from a program?
<  One work-around is something like the Power Point switch (I think that is
<what it is called).  It will turn your mac on at a pre-determined time, or via
<the power-on key on an extended keyboard.  But what I want is simpler
<(cheaper!?).  It also strikes me as something very simple to design (I wouldn't
<be afraid of putting one together, just designing it.  Basic UART, yes?).
<  Is there such a beast out there?
<        Gordon.
<
<Gordon Watts;  BITNET: WATTS@UORHEP Internet: GWATTS@ruthep.rutgers.edu

PowerHouse (X-10) makes a Mac interface that lets you control up to
16 X-10 controllers.  The mac programs the interface, and then the
interface runs stand alone (until you want to update the program).
The mac can also control devices 'on-line'.

Controllers are available for 110V outlets, appliances, lights, light
switches, as well as several special purpose devices (burglar alarm,
sound activated, thermostat, ...)

X-10 technology is licensed to many vendors, including Radio Shack (Plug
& Power) and Stanley.

The Mac Interface costs about $75, and each receiver module runs $10-20.

Michael Holtzman, St. John's University, New York     HOLTZMAN@SJUVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 19:30 CST
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

>It has crossed my mind to add font support to TTM, and release a TeachText
>compatible reader which could display the fonts, to replace TeachText. The
>files generated by TTM would still be readable by the old teachtext, only the
>fonts wouldn't display.
This is a fine idea, and I wish that I had an answer as to why Apple hasn't
spruced up TeachText.  I use Context 2.1, which is a nice DA that allows a
user to add all of the features you speak about into text files, makes it
simple to set the four letter signature from the save dialog (with a few
such as Word and MacWrite selectable via radio buttons).  This DA will also
allow the user to open files in excess of 32k.  The author will also sell
sight licenses with varying costs for # of machines.  I purchased an unlimited
machine license for $175.
With regard to an application to replace TeachText--I confess that this is an
issue being discussed and worked on by various Telefinder BBS SYSOPS and
developers.  We want the application in order to facilitate the use of unique
text file icons on our networks.  The major holdup for us at this time is
providing for the use of aliasing and the creation of virtual folders that
would always load a text file into a users window upon opening--specifically
for folders holding Apple licensed software.  This application would be free,
and we believe that this is the only way to reliably establish a standard:
that is, allow any/all to bundle the application with their files.  Perhaps
Apple will provide a similar application in the future, although I have no
idea if such a thing is planned.  The debate about readme files is certainly
strengthening the argument that the application for TF folks should be made
an independent application available for any user.  If any have suggestions/
comments about this, please feel free to e-mail me directly with your replies.
MDCLark@UALR.BITNET/MarkClark on AOL.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 08:36:18 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Keyboard equivalent to open a DA

On 2/20, Martin C. Josso wrote:

MJ> I would like to know if it is possible to assign a command key to a
MJ> DA (Find File for instance) with ResEdit so it can be opened from the
MJ> keyboard.

I don't know of any way to do that with ResEdit, but I use QuicKeys 2, and
that package allows you to assign a keyboard command to any DA, by position
within the menu or by name. You can even tell it what to do if, for any
reason, the erequested DA isn't in the menu.

I'm sure at least some of the other macro packages offers the same capability.

(No: I have no connection to CE Software, I'm just a happy QK2 user :-)= )
Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions, not my employer's.
+ Jerry Wilcox -- ISCJCW@UCCVMA.ucop.edu -- phone: (415)987-0516 +

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 18:35:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter Nikitas Handrinos <ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Laserwriter access

Does anyone know if it is possible to limit access to a laserwriter? I
would like to control the people that print to a laserwriter by only
allowing those who can access the appleshare server.

Also, what is the best way to go about 'write protecting' parts of a
hard drive. I am responsible for a couple of macs in a cluster and want
to limit the changes that people make to the system folder and to the
application folders. Any advice?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 17:57:42 EST
From: Steve Strassmann <straz@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Lisp and Logo are available!

   From: smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith)

   Years ago I remember hearing about some group in Mass. working on a
   Macintosh Logo, and I thought I even saw one advertised and sold.

Object Logo was initially developed at Coral Software before it
(Coral) was bought by Apple. Their new CommonLisp (v 2.0) has just
been announced, and it's available through APDA - it's a really,
really nice lisp with a handy interface-builder, among other things.
Apple sold Object Logo to Paradigm Software, Inc, who's now actively
developing, marketing, and supporting it.

 Paradigm Software Inc    phone: 617-542-4245  (a near-palindrome)
 PO 2995                  Applelink: paradigm
 Cambridge MA, 02238      Internet: paradigm@applelink.apple.com

 Price $149, lab discounts available

(Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with either Apple or Paradigm)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 20:53 EDT
From: <RWALKER%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: map clip art

I am looking for a clip art globe focussed on Africa or Asia.  I have flat
maps of these areas, but they do not fulfill my need.  I also have multiple
Amero-centric globes, globes in stands, and scanned photographs of planets.

Thank you in advance,
Ryan Walker
RWALKER@COLGATEU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 18:15:41 GMT
From: axel kowald <a_kowald%nimr.mrc.ac.uk@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Pedigree Draw ?

Hello everyone

I just read Peter Markiewicz's summary of scientific Mac software and there
he mentioned a program for drawing pedigrees: 'Pedigree Draw'
It is a public domain program and he gave an address in the states which one
can contact. Unfortunately this address doesn't have any e-mail address, so
it would take quite a while to get in contact (from europe).
Therefore I wondered if anyone out there has 'Pedigree Draw' and would be
kind enough to let me FTP it (or get it as a uuencoded or binhexed mail) ??

	Many thanks in advance
		Axel (a_kowald@uk.ac.mrc.nimr)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 13:59:49 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PLEASE HELP with a MAC PLUS PROBLEM...

Ok. Here's what happened...

We opened up a Plus to try to fix a simple mechanical problem in the
400k drive. It wouldn't eject properly. We easily fixed the problem (the
grease was stiff because the drive hadn't been used for a year) and
tested it out by connecting it while the computer was still open. It
worked perfectly. We then proceeded to put the computer together, and
when we turned it on, the drive started to click non-stop. We opened up
the computer again, and discovered that the clicking was caused by the
motor/gear drive that moves the head back and forth. The motor was not
turning off. It was moving the head toward the center of the disk, and
then still trying to push the head, but since it was already at the end
of its travel, the gear simply kept jumping teeth, and in the process
making a loud clicking noise.

We don't know what we did wrong. We didn't zap the computer, or at least
we don't think we did. We were very careful with the parts.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Could it be the drive? He
replaced the drive a year ago, and has only used it for an hour at most.
And it worked find (other than the eject mechanism) before we opened the
computer. Could it be the drive controller? A tech here at the
University of Arizona says it's difficult to distinguish whether the
drive or the controller is causing the problem.

Thank you VERY MUCH for answering...Please reply directly to me:
shankmas@arizvm1.ccit.arizona.edu
shankmas@arizvm1 (bitnet)

Thanks again!

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 FEB 91 18:09:42 GMT
From: PL@geovax.edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Previous question re Quantum Drives

Apologies for vagueness in my posting two days ago.  I've checked and
found that the drive in question is a Q280, 5 1/4" format 80Mb with
a ROM with the markings 14-45695 Rev D  &  QG 280K.

My friend's problem is that this drive will sometimes mount on the Mac, but
will disappear from the desktop in no repeatable way.  He wonders if the ROM
is unsuitable for using it with a Mac.  He has tried it in a variety of
termination configurations, and has eliminated this as the cause of the
problem.

Thanks for any help

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 14:12:22 MST
From: Steve Shankman <SHANKMAS%ARIZVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Prodigy, CompuServe, and other on-line: Question on Accounting

I am writing a paper covering the costing and accounting methods used by
on-line information services. Most companies can easily allocate their
costs by determining appropriate fixed and variable costs. On-line service
providers, however, have relatively smaller variable costs and larger fixed
costs. I am looking for information relating to this topic. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.......

Steve Shankman

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 1991 14:14 EST
From: Kenny <KFREUNDLICH@lucy.wellesley.edu>
Subject: Pseudo-FPU init and Image on IIsi

Has anyone successfully used the latest version of Image (1.33g) on a
Mac IIsi?  Do you need the "pseudo-fpu init"?

If the answers to these two questions are "yes", please mail me a copy of
the pseudo-fpu init.

Thanks.

Kenny Freundlich
Academic Computing
Wellesley College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 11:07:34 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Puppy training?

Once upon a time (when Macs were still 128K, I think) there was a program
which was a MacPuppy (something like that) which could be "taught trick"
(some sort of scripting language?).

Is that thing still around?  I'd like to get a lead on where I can acquire
it for my children's amusement (my own too probably :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 13:29 MST
From: JBPowlesland%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Quote Init 2.2

>Rocky Olive of Data General Corporation asked why the singel and double
quotes in MacKermit suddenly began being generated as "U" and "S".  The
reason I found out was because of the INIT Quote Init 2.2.  Remove the
init from your system folder and the problem will be solved.  Is the
init creator listening out there?

Jim Powlesland, Academic Computing Services, University of Calgary,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4 (403) 220-7937

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 13:50:00 -0800
From: Mike Hennahane <michaelh@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shanghi 2.0 & System 6.0.7

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Greetings,
>  I recently took my SE/30 up to 6.0.7 and found out that my version
>of Shanghi 2.0 will no longer work properly.  It runs for about half a game
>and then it quits 'unexpectedly'.
>  Can anyone shed any light on why and if there is a workaround for it (short
>of booting off a 6.0.5 System disk and running it)???

i run this program under 6.0.7 with no problems. i used to see the
behaviour that you mentioned, but i just increased the multifinder
partition of the app. if you're not using multifinder, maybe you don't
have enough memory. oh well. it's worth a try.

--mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 16:54:37 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Stuffit Module

I'd be most interested in finding out if there are any CMS-VM machine modules
that decompile stuffit archives. I know that there is a binhex module that
does literally 'instataneous' translations of it, and I have that one already
installed in my account, but, with a bundle of files that I'd like to translate
quickly, i.e. in excess of 300 files, using the capabilities of the mainframe
computer which are ever so *slightly* better than a micro. Any information on
this would be much appreciated. Mail me directly and I'll summarize to the net,
or mail a response to the net. Thanks in advance,

D. Bylsma

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 18:51:08 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Technical Notes

Just a quick query as to the status of the following technical notes
that I can't seem to find anywhere. Technical Note #31 and Technical Note #49
I would also like to know if there are any other recent Technical Notes that
have been released since #268, and where I could obtain them. Please mail me
directly or post a response on the net. Thanks in advance,

D. Bylsma

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 15:41:28 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: X-10 Controllers

>   Does any one know of a product that will allow the mac to switch on and off
> an (better yet, more than one) electrical outlet?  For example, I could turn
> on a radio, or something, from a program?

Check out the X-10 system which is available under a variety of OEM names. I
think Sears sells it.  Radio Shack also sells a version.  They all work
together.  The X-10 system controls lights, appliances, and a burgler system
through the existing AC wiring in your house.  You plug a module into the wall
and plug the lamp into the module.  Somewhere else in the house you have a
controller, typically a timer unit, which will send a short high frequency
(>60Hz) signal out on the wires.  The module will recognize the signal and
decode it.  If it has the right address, the module will perform the command.
There are 16 house codes (all your modules must be the same) and 16 module
numbers.  I am running about 6 modules in my house.  Modules cost about $15
($10 if you can find them on sale).

There are a bunch of different controllers.  One is a clock radio.  Another is
a simple keypad.  Another is a wireless remote.  The best is a computer
interface.  This is a timer and keypad with a computer cable.  It comes in
Macintosh and IBM versions.  It also has a program that allows you to download
a program into the timer for your house.  It also has a battery backuty is
that when your Mac is on, you can send immediate commands to the controller
and it puts them on the wire.  When your Mac is off, it just runs the program
you gave it.  Fun stuff.  Dave Oster wrote some Appletalk routines so that he
could put the controller on an unused Macintosh and send commands to it over
the net.  Tricky!  I was going to write some XCMDs so that I could do the
downloading from Hypercard, but I lost my booklette that has the codes.
Bummer.

If you really want, I can get the address of X-10 and post it too.  They might
have a list of resellers.

Jon
CC:
	INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
	GWATTS@RUTHEP.RUTGERS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 10:12:05 -0800
From: kretchma@hac2arpa.hac.com (Scott Kretchmar)

Subject:  Color Icon (cicn or icl8/icl4) librarian wanted     2/21/91

This is a request for some utility programmer out there to do the following:

With the popularity of color "cicn/icl8/icl4" for use with SunDesk or
Icon Colorizer and SunDesk Strip, I have collected a large collection of
these resources.

Since both SunDesk and Icon Colorizer only use the ICN#/icl8(cicn) IDs to
build its Icon mapping, it would be nice for some utility to go in a
resource file and "consecutivly" renumber the ICN# (this is because ResEdit
will paste in random IDs for IDs already taken).  This would make it easier
to browse files and make ResEdit paste in consecutively related ICN#/icl8
in a row (Now if 1 ICN# ID of 5 is taken that one will be placed in with
some random ID #).

Also To mimimize the ICN#/icl8 pair "mismatching or missing" problem,
how about also creating ICN#/MASK bitmaps for any icl8 present in the
resource file.  This will also reduce the size of the archived color icon
file. I would only need to keep the color resource.

Any takers???????

Reply to :	 gecko%spl0@hac2arpa.hac.com

End of Info-Mac Digest