info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The Moderators) (02/25/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 24 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 49

Today's Topics:

      [*] "Patch Extension" for QuicKeys
      [*] Bombs v1.12
      [*] lottery / lucky numbers DA
      [*] Macube shareware DA
      [*] miniWRITER 1.6
      [*] Remember? 2.1.2
      [*] SetSound DA
      "README" standards
      ALTERNATIVE MONOCHROME MONITORS
      A question about the Imagewriter and one about CompuServe.
      Files greater than 256K..
      Fourth Dimension questions
      FullWrite 1.5 footnote format question
      FUTURE MAC
      hypercard user level
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #45
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #46
      Katie's Farm and McGee
      Looking fora few bits of info
      math analysis program
      No Saddam Posting
      ResEdit CODE viewer
      SENDING LARGE FILES FROM RICEVM1 ACROSS BITNET
      Standard ReadMe files
      STEREO SOUND
      Tech notes

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 19 Feb 91 15:07:14 EST (Tue)
From: DF Hoerl <dfh@garage.att.com>
Subject: [*] "Patch Extension" for QuicKeys

Patch Extension removes the need for system restarts during each edit-compile-
load-test cycle when developing QuicKeys 2(tm) Extensions. It consists of a
code resource which temporarily substitutes for your "real" execution routine.
It's primary purpose is to open and close your "real" extension located in a
separate resource file (located in the system folder) so that your can go
through an unlimited number of edit-compile-load-test cycles without rebooting
your system each time.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/quickeys-patch-extension.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 12:42:20 +0100
From: christer@cs.umu.se
Subject: [*] Bombs v1.12

Enclosed is the game/puzzle Bombs v1.2. It's a Macintosh rendition of the
game MineSweeper running under Windows. Features include four difficulty
levels (ranging from easy to impossible), resizeable playing area, practice
mode and a hall of fame. Freeware. Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/bombs-12.hqx; 102K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 1991 13:14 EST
From: <G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu>
Subject: [*] lottery / lucky numbers DA

(Hello there...this is a simple 5k Shareware DA which will compute
special "LUCKY!" lottery numbers.  It is shareware and I believe that
the instructions for payment are included within the program.
Enjoy!

G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/da/lucky.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 1991 13:10 EST
From: "NAME\"Life is but a blenderfull of cherries\"" <G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu>
Subject: [*] Macube shareware DA

(Hello there, MaCube is a Shareware DA for both Color and B&W Macs.
Instructions for sending $$ are included in the program.
Enjoy!

G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/da/macube.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 13:17:13 -0500
From: gibbsm@ll.mit.edu (Margaret D. Gibbs)
Subject: [*] miniWRITER 1.6

A recent poster said that the copy of miniWRITER in your archives has only
the DA and the documentation, but not the templates and a font suitcase file.
Enclosed is a stuffit-ed and binhexed version of miniWRITER 1.6 with all
the goodies.  My brother wrote miniWRITER, and would welcome the shareware
payments!

---Margaret Gibbs
   gibbsm@ll.mit.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/da/mini-writer-16.hqx; 113K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 13:10:11 PST
From: kostas@ux1.lbl.gov (Konstantinos Papamichael)
Subject: [*] Remember? 2.1.2

I post this latest version of Remember? (2.1.2) for the actual author, David
Worker, who does not have access to this network.  Remember? is a Personal
reminder System and is distributed via the Shareware strategy.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/remember-212.hqx; 224K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 10:54:40 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: [*] SetSound DA

I had some requests for the old classic SetSound DA which I mentioned
in a recent message, so here it is.  Choose it, type a number to set
the sound level, and close it.  That's it.  So far as I know, it's
freeware. It's too small to benefit from stuffing.  Just decode it.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/set-sound.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: 23 FEB 91 10:59:09 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: "README" standards

 Christopher ELiot writes:

"The complaints about poor standardization of documentation files are
well founded.  The solution should come from Apple."

In the meantime, we users have to sit and wait, right?  :>)  Blaming
the computer company is a convenient scapegoat but with the many
talents of the active users, solutions can be found.  I'm the rascal
who started this debate and already, many positive solutions have
been mentioned.  The sharewared TeachTextMaker has been mentioned, I
mentioned DocMaker (my favorite), and there have been others.

All that is needed is for the kind developers who make the many
applications, DA's, INITs/CDEVs to use a SELF-EXECUTING "ReadMe"
file.  Note that the term README was meant for discussion purpose only,
not as a suggestion to name the "How to use this application/da, etc."
file.  README is only a generic title.  I received more than one letter
horrified that developers would start using only README as the name
of their documentation.

Also note that these self-executing files were meant mainly for the
"get acquainted" documentation.  Although pictures and graphics are
pretty and nice, they will slow down the scroll rate.  When a user
receives a file, it is most helpful if he/she can skim through a README
quickly so that the application's purpose can be understood.  It can
be painful to receive a file called WORLD'S_GREATEST_DA and then to
see only an 80k README.  Gee, a 1-5K "Let's Get Acquainted" type README
would have been appropriate.  But, getting back to my original intent,
what's worse is receiving this neat WORLD'S_GREATEST_DA and to have
the 1-5K "Let's Get Acquainted" type README in some format that is
completely unreadable because I don't have the document processor
that the developer used.

So, in summary, 1) let's make the documentation self-readable, self-
executing.  2) Let's make it fast to read and small so that it can
be skimmed and that the theme of the file can be understood.  Make the
docmentation in two parts, if required:  A small README, and the MANUAL.
3) Do not REQUIRE the user to have to boot up a document processor to
read the documentation.

Personally, I'd perfer the manual to be in some form of document
processing format, but what format?  Hence, my suggestion for it to
be in self-processing form.  At any rate, the introductory README
should be in self-executing format.  Perhaps the manual can be installed
in the HELP area of the file.

At any rate, a solution needs to be found.  I know of a lot of software
out there that is going unused because users were unable to read what
the file did.

Good luck, and thanks for your ears.  I have found the nets a great
way to accomplish much.  The Mac is a great platform and the lack of
text standards as allegedly created by Apple should not hold us back

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET> | ATARI ST USERS OF EAST TEXAS

------------------------------

Date: 23 FEB 91 10:27:09 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: ALTERNATIVE MONOCHROME MONITORS

Beat Brunner wrote:
"About a month ago, I sent a request for infos for Apple's High Res
Black&White 640x480 monitor (35 kHz, 66.6 Hz, analog) alternatives."
        My suggestion is get a copy of the latest Mac magazines and
skim some of the ads.  It is amazing what alternatives are available
for Mac monochromes.  My favorite monochrome monitor is the NEC GS2A.
It can be found for just a touch over $200.00 and is incredibly
versatile in that it can be used on just about any computer.  I have to
use several platforms and the GS2A is just as happy with a Mac as it
is with an Atari ST or an IBM (aaack!).  I'd suggest buying a Mac User
or Mac World, look for the NEC advertisement, call customer support
via the 800 number listed in the ad for more info.  This is a great
monitor.

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 15:55:22 -0600
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: A question about the Imagewriter and one about CompuServe.

I seem to have a problem with my Imagewriter.  When I print files out on it,
sometimes the first line on the page is printed all "scrunched up."  This
happens seemingly at random, but it always occurs on an "even" page relative
to the first page printed after power-up.  Is this a common problem?  Could it
be a problem with the version of the driver I'm using?
    For the record, I'm using system 6.0.5 with finder 6.0.1 (i think) and
Imagewriter 2.7, and this is all running with multifinder.  This happens whether
I use the vanilla files with no inits, extra da's, etc. or whether I use my
normal system. (BTW, my mac is an SE with 2.5 M ram, Superdrive, &20M harddrive
and my printer is an ImageWriter //).
    Also, for my CompuServe question, is there any way to access it via the
internet, such as through telnet, etc?
    It'd be cheaper for me. :)

Peace,

Doug

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 17:35:18 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Files greater than 256K..

On 21 FEB 91 12:56:56 CDT you said:
>I am sure that this has been addressed before, but, I will bring it up
>again.  So far I have seen at least two files which I for one cannot get
>through Listserv@Ricevm1 due to the size of the files.  My question is,
>why are files in Rice mirror archives of Sumex-Aim site greater than
>256K if I am not allowed to get files greater than 256K?

You have two options.  One is to use MACSERVE@PUCC (messages only, no
email) which has a 10 file per day limit but no size limit.

The second is to write the LISTSERV maintainer at Rice: David Boyes
<DBoyes@RiceVM1> (I've copied him on this message).  It seems to me that
the LISTSERV ought to send the file that causes the 256K alarm to go off
rather than not send it (if one orders a bunch of files, the LISTSERV
won't send the one that goes over 256K even if it is only 2K and if you
want a 257K file, you're out of luck with the present system).  That
small change in polity would address your problem.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 1991 17:43:31 -0500
From: kieffer@uncanet.bitnet (Rom Kieffer, TransCanada PipeLines)
Subject: Fourth Dimension questions

greetings,

We are prototyping an executive information system that is to run in a
client-server environment. Data will be accessed on Vaxes, and will be
manipulated and displayed on Mac workstations.
The database of choice for the VMS systems will probably be Oracle, and
we are thinking about using Fourth Dimension as the workstation software.

Initially we thought that hupercard would serve best for that purpose
but several problems surfaced that 4D may be able to circumvent a lot
more easily.

- Is there a net repository where I could find some 4D application samples?
  We are very new to 4D, and do not have much time to learn.

- Is there a discussion list for 4D?

- What do people think about 4D and the company which produces it? Is there
  a useful customer support infrastructure, are there any known bugs in the
  software? I would appreciate any feedback.

- Are there any known caveats using Oracle/4D combinations?

- And of course, has anyone used 4D to develop an EIS package?

If you prefer send answers to me (Kieffer@ucnet.ucalgary.ca) and I will
summarize to the net.

 thanks

  rom

------------------------------

Date: 23 FEB 91 18:49:09 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: FullWrite 1.5 footnote format question

Does anyone know of an "automatic" way of having FullWrite 1.5 to
superscript end of page footnote numbers?  It is amazing to me that
this is not available in the format area.  It is an old complaint
and one that I was hoping would be fixed in this highly heralded
release of FullWrite 1.5.  sigh.  Now, one has to MANUALLY superscript
the number of each end of page footnote.  This is the pits.  I
really enjoy FullWrite, but this is a major problem for me.

Maybe I'm missing something, I hope?

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 23:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Donald Jackson Pickett <dp32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: FUTURE MAC

Upgrade all the chips and systems, and you have what sounds like the
next Next's.

Don

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 10:14:52 -0700
From: kerr@logdis1.oo.aflc.af.mil (Grant Kerr)
Subject: hypercard user level

I recall seeing a message on how to set hypercard 2.0 (the one bundled with
new machines) to user level 5, but I can't find it now.  It seems like it was
a option-clover-m or something like, do you know?

Thanks.

grant

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 18:59:43 +0100
From: Clive Wilmot <cwilmot@frg.bbn.com>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #45

Hallo:

I have an Apple IIgs; I recently purchased the IIsi.  Question:  Is there a
relatively inexpensive way whereby I can make the IIgs Mac-compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Clive

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 09:58:11 SST
From: Chiang-Seng Chong <CCECCS%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #46

Can anyone tell me if the NODEM sold by ADAPTEC is discontinued or not?
We have encountered some problems using the NODEM with Mac Plus, with or
without hard disks. With hard disks, there seems to be more problems.
I have seen 2 CMS hard disks crashed at least 4 times. Everything works
fine if we disconnect the NODEM and take out all the 3+open files from
the system folder. The SCSI numbers are different. We're using 6.0.4.

We are running 3+Open/Mac, using AppleShare Client software and 3+mail.
If any of you have encounter similar problem or have an answer to this,
you can e-mail me directly and I will summarize to the net if there is
enough interest.

Thank you.

Chiang-Seng, Chong
Computer Centre,
National University of Singapore

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 10:03:45 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Katie's Farm and McGee

For those who have Katie's Farm or McGee preschool programs, how many
floppy disks come with each program? How are these disks labelled
(boot,graphics,sound?) Is a manual included? Thanks,MC
Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU    BITNET: NU1634678@NDSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 91 17:04 GMT
From: D6307@applelink.apple.com (Koyn SW, Terry Koyn,PRT)
Subject: Looking fora few bits of info

I have heard that Redgate has recently sold the Mac Buyer's Guide.  I am
wondering to whom it was sold and how to reach them.

I am also wondering if anyone has the phone number for the National Collegiate
Software Clearinghouse and I am also looking for other sources of educational
software, especially mathematics and art.

Please send any replies to D6307@Applelink.Apple.COM, as I cannot obtain access
to the list from Applelink.  You might want to post your reply to the list as
well to share it with all.  Thanks in advance for any information.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91  20:32:41 EST
From: "pmdmfmc" <pmdmfmc%buacca.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: math analysis program

Hello Out There,

I am looking for a math analysis program that allows the user
to create equations (Physics equations, for example) and assign
the values to the various variables in the equation.  I tried
the program Solve, but it only allows you to perform one
calculation at a time (one set of variables).  I need a program in
which several calculations can be performed at once.  I realize that
looks like a job for a spreadsheet, but a need a program that is
simpler to use and that will not eat up as much space on my harddrive
as a spreadsheet program.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Venn.
(pmdmfmc@buacca.bu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 14:13:15 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: No Saddam Posting

I consider the No Saddam startup screen a little inappropriate in
the context of an international computer archive with an international
readership. It's also in bad taste.

Neutrally,
Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 13:59:59 EST
From: Dan Goldman <ST101824@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: ResEdit CODE viewer

I downloaded the ResEdit CODE viewer posted a few days ago, and haven't
had much luck with it.  I duplicated ResEdit, then used the copy to
copy the viewer resources into the original ResEdit (1.2), but when I
launched RE (using the MonoFinder) and tried to open a code resource, I got
a system error 01 (the dreaded bus error).  I downloaded twice to be sure
I got a clean copy, and got the same exact problem twice.  I am using an
SE/30 running System 6.0.5 (I think) and a number of INITs, but none of
them have ever given me any trouble (After Dark, Suitcase, Disinfectant,
SoundMaster, ATM).  Anyone else have the same thing?  Thanks.

Dan Goldman, st101824@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: 23 FEB 91 00:20:58 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SENDING LARGE FILES FROM RICEVM1 ACROSS BITNET

Can some brave soul tell me and perhaps several others how to receive
files larger than 250KB across BitNet from LISTSERV@RICEVM1?  To wit:
*********
     > $MACARCH GET DEMO/CARBON-COPY-MAC.HQX
     File "DEMO/CARBON-COPY-MAC.HQX" is too large to be
     sent over BITNET, about 396KB.
*********
Surely, there is a way.  Pardon if the message's composition is not
right.  Seems some gate *somewhere* is stripping our text format codes

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 19:21:57 -0800
From: lsr@apple.com (Larry Rosenstein)
Subject: Standard ReadMe files

If a ReadMe file is small, then TeachText (or some other text-only) format
is ideal.  Every system comes with TeachText, and there's no reason why
someone shouldn't install it.  (In fact the System 7 installer, installs
TeachText automatically.)

For a larger file, then you do have to go to a word processor.  It seems
to me that most WP programs can read/write MacWrite 4.x files, so those
would serve as a good interchange format.

System 7 makes a couple of improvements in this area:

* If the user opens a TEXT or PICT file and the creating application isn't
available, the Finder offers to open it with TeachText.  (This mechanism
is extensible to other document types; I've written an INIT that lets
me double click on MacWrite, Word, or WriteNow docs and have them opened
by MacWrite II.)

* You can drop document on top of applications, provided that the application
has said that it handles that type (an FREF resource).  Most WP programs
have a resource for TEXT files, so you should be able to drop a text file
onto any WP program icon (or alias).

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 14:15:55 SST
From: F Chua <SWKCFK%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: STEREO SOUND

     We are having problems getting the Mac to play stereo
sounds.  We need to get the right and left channels to
play different sounds (we are doing work in auditory
psychophysics).  A friend suggests that the first step is
to INITIALIZE the Sound Manager as there are some errors
in the initialization values in Inside Mac.
     We would be grateful for any help whatsoever.
     Please write directly to me (bitnet : swkcfk@nusvm).
     Thanks. Fuki.

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 00:40:58 GMT
From: pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Subject: Tech notes

TN 31 is the famous MOOFING DOGCOW technote (a collectors item

TN 49 ?? I don't have it either.

The highest technote I have is from the develop CD #4 and is TN284

End of Info-Mac Digest