info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/26/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 25 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:

      [*] Faces Demo
      [*] Pararena 1.2.1.sea.hqx
      [*] PSpice 3.08b
      [*] Welltris Demo
      Again the Saddam Screen
      Anyone know of an easy way to plot icl8s?
      backup hardware and software
      CODE reader for ResEdit
      delete a word from MS Word Dict.
      Focke's Listing
      FullWrite 1.5 footnote format
      Genealogy software solutions
      I found it. - DOCMAKER
      Info-Mac / NetHack
      Limiting copies on Laserwriter
      Looking for "MacInUse"?
      Mac Plus Hardware Problem
      Mono-spaced sans-serif ATM font
      No More Icons
      No Saddam Posting (2 msgs)
      ResEdit CODE viewer
      Saddam Startup Screen
      SIMM 1 MB x 9 for Mac?
      Soft Dorothy Glitches
      Standard documentation file
      Standardized Documentation
      the simplest possible network
      TN3270 Print Screen Problem
      Wordperfect 2.0 on a IIsi

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 8:26:20 EDT
From: parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker)
Subject: [*] Faces Demo

This is a demo version of the game Faces, a game similar to
Tetris.  This is the B&W version and it lets you play levels
1-3 or to 3000 points, whichever comes first, I think.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/faces.hqx; 297K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 06:35:06 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Pararena 1.2.1.sea.hqx

Pararena (stands for parabolic arena) is a cross between rollerball
and skateboarding played on a parabolic dish.  There are a variety of
oppenents and different scoring options.  Shareware fee is $8 (some
of the options will lock after some period of time without the key).

This is a great game written by John Calhoun of Soft Dorothy Software
(Glider and Glypha fame).  If you are using system 6.0.7 or the new Macs
be careful.  I've had no problems with the 'foul(bell)' sound off though.
This is a self extracting Compactor archive after un-BinHex-ing.  Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/pararena-121.hqx; 270K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 20:59:25 PST
From: tchi%phakt.usc.edu@usc.edu (The Answer Company)
Subject: [*] PSpice 3.08b

PSpice is a circuit simulation program allowing the user
to enter nodes and circuit elements between the nodes and it
will do all sorts of neat analysis for you.  I think this
version corresponds to SPICE2.  It is limited to 25 nodes
and 10 transistors but that's plenty for most undergraduate
work; it was more than enough for me!

Enjoy!

Tony Chi
(tchi@usc.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/pspice-308b.hqx; 456K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 8:29:45 EDT
From: parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker)
Subject: [*] Welltris Demo

This is a demo version of the game Welltris, a 3-D version of
Tetris.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/welltris.hqx; 147K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 19:22:52 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Again the Saddam Screen

I really didn't expect this kind of trouble from my posting about the
No Saddam startup screen. I said:
>I consider the No Saddam startup screen a little inappropriate in
>the context of an international computer archive with an international
>readership. It's also in bad taste.
>Neutrally, ME

I got a private mail from Kieran, the fellow who posted the screen in the
first place. He said he didn't necessarily agree with the screen, but
thought that others might want it. Fair enough.

I got a rather nasty private note from someone at Dartmouth, who said:
>First of all, although info-mac may have international readership, it is
>U.S.A. based. Secondly, while it may be in bad taste to you, that doesn't
>mean it is to everyone. Who appointed you Judge of Good Taste? Can you
>really sign yourself "Neutrally?" And what connection is there between what
>is in "good taste" and what is posted?
>[Name Withheld]
>U.S.A., not a neutral country

So what if the list is U.S.-based? This is the WORLD, friend, and we all
have to live in it together. Some governments are not doing this very well
at present. I am sure we all have hope that they will do better soon. We
enjoy a great measure of freedom to communicate, to share data, to assist
one another with this list and its archives. We form an international
community. I wonder what percentage of the readers of this list reside
OUTSIDE of the U.S. It seems to me that it is a pity to jeopardize the good
will of that community with this kind of material. Perhaps I am the only one
who has taken this position. But THAT, in my opinion, is what the connection
is between what is in "good taste" and what is posted.

I signed myself Neutrally because I live in a country which is neutral, and
because I thought that there was a certain humour in signing it that way.
That's all.

Bob Stewart said:
>This is probably over the line into politics. Political opinions should not
>be a reason to censor the contents of an archive into blandness. I'd have a
>problem with removing the No Saddam graphic. Taste is subjective and
relative.
>I removed the rest of what I started to say.
>Opinionated, Bob Stewart

I don't know about this either. Firstly, the posting itself IS a political
statement. The archives are not particularly bland at present. But the
moderators have removed numerous graphics from the archives simply because
they were copyrighted and their owners might sue. Losing Micky was a pity,
but I suppose we're willing to live with that to save ourselves from the
wrath of Disney's corporate lawyers.

I agree that my opinion that the Saddam graphic lacks taste shouldn't be a
reason to remove it from the archives either. But AS a political statement,
this posting could contribute to the fomentation of intolerance, and so
perpetuate intercultural misunderstanding and ill-will. This is not good for
an international computer archive with an international readership, or for
anything else for that matter. Will the moderators just as happily archive a
No George graphic? That'll be sure to offend some folks, though some others
might want one.

Hate sucks. This net should not help foster it. I maintain my view that the
posting should be removed.

I would appreciate it if the moderators would make their opinions known on
the issue, because I think this is a policy call on their part. I am not
trying to offend anyone. And I really don't want to continue this
conversation any more. My Mac has better things to do. Dhammam saranam
gacchami.

Respectfully,
Michael Everson

[This is what I mailed to Michael directly...

>I don't think so at all. If you are offended by it, don't download the file.
>If you want to post a pro-Saddam startup screen, go right ahead. I'm not
>interested in censoring any views, and I'm certainly not interested in
>self-censorship.

 To be more accurate, I should say that there might be some views expressed
 in postings that were so depraved that I would have a hard time putting
 them in the archive. I don't think that these would be political in nature,
 though.

 Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 13:24:08 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Anyone know of an easy way to plot icl8s?

Does anyone know of a new call analogous to PlotCIcon that works with the icl8
icon families?  It seems silly to write one when it must be in the new system.
I suppose it's back to the old CopyMask then.  The worst part is checking the
destination pix or bit depths so that I use the b&w icon in the right case.
It doesn't sound easy to cover all the cases properly.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 91 13:11:00 EST
From: "MICHAEL R. ROMAN" <mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: backup hardware and software

I have a network of 25 Macs (no servers) with about 1 GB of data that I need to
back up. I'm looking at hooking a 4mm or 8mm tape drive to one Mac and backing
up the Macs over the network. I'm wondering what people have to say about
available 4mm and 8mm drives, and about backup software with network
capabilities.

If enough people send me recommendations and/or experiences, I'll summarize to
the net.

Mike Roman   mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 9:40:32 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: CODE reader for ResEdit

I apparently generated a great deal of excitement after posting
the CODE reader fro ResEdit last week.  I obtained this gem from
a BBS that I use regularly and felt it was of sufficient interest
to post to the net. I have received numerous letters of thanks
and letters indicating that it doesn't work on ResEdit versions
before 2.1, but the most important letter is listed below:

>I am not sure what the procedures are here, but will you please
>do whatever is necessary to get the CODE editor REMOVED from
>sumex.  Someone at Apple mistakenl put it on some bullitin board
>somewhere and that's how it got out.  It was NOT ready for
>release.  It will step on handles and blow your machine
>if used the wrong way.  The CODE editor will be released
>as part of the next ResEdit (I think).

>Thanks in advance...

>Ira Ruben
>Apple Computer, Inc.
>(author of the CODE editor)

I therefore request that the CODE resource posting I made be
removed from the archive as requested by the author.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:24:48 cst
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: delete a word from MS Word Dict.

Any way to delete a word from MS Word Dictionary?

(Well, I didn't think so either)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 14:56:48 EST
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: Focke's Listing

     Twice in the past several weeks I've seen a reference for _Focke's
Listing_, apparently an on-line catalogue of sorts to all the popular
bulletin board systems (including names and phone numbers).  I've been
told this List is available from the main menu of many of the commercial
boards (Compu$erve, GEnie, etc.), but I'm not a subscriber to any of
these.  Could some kind Info-Mac reader either (1) direct me to an
InterNet-accesible location for this list, (2) send a copy to me directly,
and/or (3) post a copy to the archives as /report/focke-list.txt for the
benefit of similarily affected digest readers ??  Many thanks in advance ...

Jim Love   jeteye@cbl.umd.edu   Univ. of Maryland System  (301) 326-4281

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 16:28:13 EST
From: "MSMAIL%\"Erik"@vax.wi.edu
Subject: FullWrite 1.5 footnote format

---- Microsoft Mail "VMS Mail" message ----

>From: Erik D. Harder on Mon, Feb 25, 1991  4:27 PM
To: Info-Mac
Larry,

It's a bit of a kludge, and perhaps it doesn't help an awful lot, but here goes:

* Set the "Base Style" for footnotes to automatically superscript the entire
  footnote.

* Whenever you create a footnote, "Select All" (command-a) the footnote and
  choose "Superscript" from the "Style" menu. This will make all of the footnote
  except the footnote number *not* superscript, and the footnote number *will*
  be superscripted.

It's still manual, but at least it's pretty quick.

Erik D. Harder                         Harder@VAX.WI.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 09:44:31 PST
From: Penny Padgett <PADGETT@intellicorp.com>
Subject: Genealogy software solutions

Hi all,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query about
genealogy/family tree software.

Most people recommended Personal Ancestry File, which is
published by the Mormon Church for $35.  The documentation
is said to be excellent.  They can be reached at 800/336-6644
or 801/240-2584.

A program called Reunion was also mentioned; one person said
he much preferred it to Personal Ancestry File.  It is, however,
more expensive and requires more disk space to run.

Finally, several people pointed to some HyperCard stacks in the
sumex-aim archives, but there was some uncertainty about the
quality of these programs.

Thanks again to everyone who took the trouble to respond.  I
really appreciate the input.

Penny Padgett
 ------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 09:04:03 CST
From: ronquillo@sjsca2.sinet.slb.com (Omy, Training & Marketing Liaison Manager  408 437-5268)
Subject: I found it. - DOCMAKER

A week ago, I posted a message looking for a utility that saves a README
file which is self executing (no need for either MACWRITE, TEACHTEXT or any
word processors).

Well, I found the utility that does exactly what I had in mind. I found it
in info-mac/util/DOCMAKER-31.HQX (I think that's the right version number).

Thanks for all those who responded.

Another question: How come this utility is not as widely used as Compact Pro
for sending out documentation so that one doesn't look for TeachText or the
like? DOCMAKER supports graphics too.

DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with the author of DOCMAKER at all. I just
tried it once to see what it does. My opinions are all first hand. I have
not put the software to the test to make an impartial judgement.

Omy     Internet: RONQUILLO@SJS.SINET.SLB.COM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 15:35:35 PST
From: ROCKY@cup.portal.com
Subject: Info-Mac / NetHack

Does anyone know how to get a later copy of NetHack than v2.3?  I`m running
a MAC SE & would love to update this very addictive game to 3.0.  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:35:06 EST
From: jam652%csc@anu.anu.edu.au (Joe Miles, Forestry)
Subject: Limiting copies on Laserwriter

One way that I have discoverd to limit (fix) the number of copies
printed on a Laserwriter involves patching the POST resource in
the Laserwriter driver.
Using Resedit, open the resource with id of POST -8158 using the
"Open as template" command in Resedit, and using STR# as the resource
template. Scroll through the list of string, and at about the 15th one
you will find the string
                           userdict /#copies ^i put
Change it to
                           userdict /#copies 1 put % ^i requested

and save the resource etc.

This works as follows:  This string is output into the header of
the postscript text sent to the laserwriter. Anything after a %
in a line of Postscript is taken as a comment, so we are nicely
locking the number of copies to 1. (Postscript/Laserwriter interprets
the #copies command to ascertain the number of copies to print).
The ^i is used as a placeholder for the code in the laserwriter
driver to insert the number of copies value obtained from the
print dialog box. (refer to ParamText procedure in IM I p421).
I suggest leaving it there, although its removal didnt seem to have
any untoward effects.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 18:35:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "Edward P. Costello" <ec1k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Looking for "MacInUse"?

I received many replies about software for keeping track of time spent
on various apps with the mac.  MacInuse by Softview was the most
recommended although there was one recommendation for Timeslips III.
I thank the following for their responses:

   Sylvia Jacyno   <sjacyno@uga.cc.uga.edu>
   Mark McBride   <mm93ecof@miamiu>
   Tom Olin   < uunet!adiron!tro	>
   <Caleb Strockbine@ccvm.su>
   Rick Jarvis   <Rick_Jarvis.MATH_ONE@quickmail.clemson.edu>
   Peter Nikitas Handrinos    <ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu>

-ed costello
-communications design center
-ec1k+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 8:24:39 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Mac Plus Hardware Problem

I am having a unusual problem with a Mac+.  After several hours of being on,
the screen suddenly goes completely black.  It the comes back just as suddenly.
sometimes the blackout lasts only a second, sometimes it lasts for quite a
few seconds.  Frequently it appears that adjusting the briteness control
restores the screen.  Its as if the pot was dirty.  However, sometimes that
doesn't seem to have any effect.

I have seen the power supply go on the original Mac+s.  They all had screens
that started shrinking and wiggling, then an abrupt, non restorable loss of
HV to the tube.  This one is different.  There is also the possibility that
there may be something overloading the power circuit, but I don't think that
is the case.  Nothing else in the house saw these problems.  I would appreciate
any information on similar occurances.  I suspect I will need to make major
repairs.  thanks,`

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  25 Feb 91 16:46 +02:00
From: <DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mono-spaced sans-serif ATM font

Hi Netters!

I am looking for a mono-spaced *and* sans-serif font to be used with
ATM (I guess it has to be PostScript Type 1).

I need it as replacement to MONACO which bitmap.

Thanks.

Nuzhet DALFES
Bogazici University
Istanbul
TURKEY

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 1991 11:30 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: No More Icons

In Info-Mac V9 #39, Do Minh writes:

> Is there an init to get rid of the march of icons at startup?
> I have too many inits, and cdevs.

Try looking into the init file with ResEdit. From a copy, try removing the
resource 'PROC' ID=128, "ShowInit", if there is one. Some inits have it, and
what it does is to draw the icon. The init looks for this piece of code, and if
it doesn't find it, it beeps and doesn't draw anything. (This means that your
Mac will be beeping all the time during startup, and maybe this is more
annoying than having lots of icons).
But most inits/cdevs have controls to turn off the "Show Icon at Startup"
feature.

Anyway, if the problem is that you don't like init icons go past the end of the
screen, you should install IconWrap: another init (with another icon at
startup) that automatically makes other inits draw their icon on more than one
line if they don't fit.

Hope this helps,
Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 19:16:53 EST
From: Chong Yee Khoo <CYKHOO%PUCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: No Saddam Posting

I fully support the recent request by Michael Everson in a recent
issue of the Info-Mac posting for the removal of the "No Saddam" posting.
As he points out, it is in very bad taste, whatever one's opinions of the
man are.

Chong-Yee Khoo
Princeton Molecular Biology

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 21:49:15 GMT
From: ccmay@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chris May)

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>I consider the No Saddam startup screen a little inappropriate in
>the context of an international computer archive with an international
>readership. It's also in bad taste.

>Neutrally,
>Michael Everson

Why you humorless prissy-tissle!  Would some believer in the First
Amendment and freedom of choice please direct me to where I might
find this startup screen?  I'd like to distribute it to as many people
as I possibly can, as my own little rebellion against censorship.  Would
our self-appointed arbiter of good taste be so hypersensitive about a
screen ridiculing Bush?

Go pound sand, Mike,

--ccm

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 15:48 CST
From: <MPARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit CODE viewer

Dan Goldman writes:
>I downloaded the ResEdit CODE viewer posted a few days ago, and haven't
>had much luck with it.  I duplicated ResEdit, then used the copy to
>copy the viewer resources into the original ResEdit (1.2) ...

I got that far, too, then decided that the ResEdit CODE viewer is intended
work with ResEdit v 2.0 or newer. Sure enough, when all the resources are
added to the newest ResEdit, the CODE viewer editor has the nice v.2.0
icons...but I still couldn't get it to work, though, this on a IIfx
running system 6.05. It bombed one step farther along than it was bombing
in v. 1.2--as soon as I tried to open an individual code resource.
Anybody had any success with it, 'cause if it works as the author has
intended, it will be a great asset?

                Mel Park
                U. Tenn Memphis

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 1991 23:25 EST
From: "LOVE YOUR MOTHER.....IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WE HAVE" <IRC_AR@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: Saddam Startup Screen

Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> states that

"I consider the No Saddam startup screen a little inappropriate in
the context of an international computer archive with an international
readership. It's also in bad taste."

I happen to agree with his feeling that political garbage of this sort does
not belong on a international computer archive.  However, the fact that one is
able to do so means alot in terms of the freedom that most of us enjoy.  These
networks are for the exchange of information of all types, not just what some
people would deem appropriate.  Who would be justified in determining what is
appropriate and what is not?  I certianly do not feel qualified.

Computers make the exchange of information easier so that we can all benefit
>From other thoughts and experiences.  I would not use a "No Saddam" startup
screen, but I would support another right to do so if they so chose.

Drew Rak
IRC_AR@vax.clarku.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 05:08:24 EST
From: jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo)
Subject: SIMM 1 MB x 9 for Mac?

Hi,
	I seem to recall a message about the possiblity of putting
IBM SIMMs into Mac.  Is that really, absolutely possoble and/or
advisable?  Are 80ns IBM simm and 80ns Mac simm equivalent speedwise?

	For 2 groups of Mac simms with 2 different speed rating, should
the faster ones be installed at the first bank? Or doesn't it matter?

	Also there are many names mentioning memories such as simm, sip,
dip, etc.  Any clarifying explanation or pointer to the references
explaining the terms is mostly welcome.

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 17:19:08 EST
From: Loren Ryter <ST701831@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Soft Dorothy Glitches

This is directed at either John Calhoun or the person(s) who uploaded
Glypha and Glider.
There are graphic glitches in both games, at least on a Mac II, although
I believe the glitch does not appear on a Mac SE, though I cannot verify
this.
On glider, the top portion of the screen has a glitch that has something
to do with the re-draw routines, when the propellor comes down.
Similarly, in Glypha, when you bounce off the top of the screen, there
is a nealy identical glitch also in the re-draw routines.
Has anyone else noticed this?

--Loren

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 91 14:30 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Standard documentation file

I think that Christopher Eliot has reason when he appointed the FINDER's lack
for a build-in text editor (Info-Mac digest 9 #45.) Some time ago I tried a
shell called Viewer, or something like this (It's not the Glue's viewer
application.) It could read several files formats itself, like
MacWrite, Word, etc. You could add new file formats. It's my opinion a shell
with these capacities can flame off for a standard for documentation files.

Another hint could be the add to the shell of a resource copier. (I believe I
saw this in another shell: the Servant.) This avoids the use of ResEdit for
many users.

C U LTR!,>^<.    JM CORTES<EPARI@etsii.unizar.es> // Univ.Zaragoza SPAIN/EUROPE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 1991 11:24 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Standardized Documentation

Hello, everybody.

Let me tell you what I know about this problem: standardized read-me docs.

Recently, a friend of mine (thanks, Chris!) sent me a copy of a review of
DiskPaper from Farallon: this product will allow you to "print" any kind of
document on disk.
DiskPaper will create an application that will show what you "printed"; the
DiskPaper documents may be self-launching or displayed by the DiskPaper Reader.
You can attach audio notes (with the new Apple microphone or with MacRecorder
or VoiceRecorder).
The document may contain color images (that will be properly displayed on
monochrome monitors); there will be a text search feature and text and graphics
can be copied to the Clipboard.

Farallon will distribute the reader free, and it will allow free distribution of
self-launching documents.

If anybody has more informations about this product, please post a message
here; I think that everybody will be interested in it.

Hope this helps,
Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 07:21:18 EST
From: Steven Cantor <SLC@harvarda.harvard.edu>
Subject: the simplest possible network

an associate of mine is dealing with a small business which has two mac
classics, and he wants to enable the two of them to talk to each other.
do the classics have the built-in circuitry for connecting to a local
talk network, and if so, does he merely have to run  a local talk cable
>From one to the other (printer port?) to connect the two?  and if that
is the case, what happens to printer connections?  (also, how would the
connection manifest itself to the two users, by an icon?)
thanks in advance.
s.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 20:14:17 EST
From: Matthew Tolbert <MTOLBER%ERENJ.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TN3270 Print Screen Problem

Folks,

     I'm having a problem using the Print Screen option on TN3270, the
3270 mainframe emulation program that works over Appletalk/Ethernet.  When
I try using the Print Screen option, all I get out on my LaserWriter is
gibberish-random characters like @@@@1!!! etc.  I'd appreciate if anyone
knows what the bug fix for this problem might be.  Otherwise, TN3270 is a
terrific 3270 emulation program--kudos to the folks at Brown University who
developed it!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 08:26:55 EST
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Wordperfect 2.0 on a IIsi

I am trying to run Wordperfect 2.0 on a IIsi with system 6.0.7.  after
installing with the Installer and trying to launch the Wordperfect
application, I get any one of the following to happen:

1.  The "clock" turns back to the "pointer" after a few seconds and the machine is locked up.

2.  I get the message "Wordperfect has unexpectedly quit (1).

3.  I get the message "Wordperfect has unexpectedly quit (28).

4.  I get the message "Error, coprocessor not installed"  (it is installed)

5.  I get the message "The finder on the startup disk is damaged or missing"

6.  The program loads normally.

While 1/6 of the time I can get it to work--after much agony--something is
not right.  I have taken all the inits out so that does not seem to
be the problem.  I have increaed the memory allocation up to 3000K so that
doesn't seem to be the problem either.  I am using multifinder and
didn't try it with just the finder since it should run with multifinder
and this is how I want to use it.  Anyone else have this problem.

thanks,

dick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 08:36:29 -0800
From: kretchma@hac2arpa.hac.com (Scott Kretchmar)

Subject:  Disk Labelers		2/25/91

Hi,
  I am in the market for a GOOD Disk labeling program.  I would appreciate
any recomendations from the net.  I will summarize if I get enought responses.

Info from any users of the following would be appreciated:
	Avery MacLabel Pro 1.0
	FastLabeler 2.0
	myDiskLabeler III 3.0
	Sticky Business 1.4
	Disk Ranger (don't know what the current version is)
	MacLabeler  (don't know what the current version is)
	etc.......
It should work equally well with both the Imagewriter(I/II) and the
LaserWriter.

If this discussion was already done on the net could someone please forward
me the results????

thanks

 gecko%spl0@hac2arpa.hac.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 13:04:18 -0500
From: ctchou@kodak.com

I have a MacIIcx with an Apple monochrome monitor. I would like to
have a reversed screen, i.e. white on black. Also I would like to put a
picture on the desktop. However, none of the ReverseScreen INIT,
BackDrop 1.6 nor !DeskPict work on my computer. ReverseScreen only
reverses the arrow pointer. That's it. Nothing else. BackDrop would
not run except giving me an error message. !DeskPict put a weird
pattern on the desktop, definitely not the picture intended to be
shown. Anybody has similar experience? Any suggestion? Thank you
in advance for any help.

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 11:55:05 -0700
From: daspit%zodiac@johns.Stanford.EDU (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)

Hi netters,
	I have heard about the PROM fix for Quantum drives with the 'sticky
lubricant' problem. We have lately run into several Sony 40mb drives that
do the same thing (won't spin up till you shake them). Is there any known
fix for these, short of leaving them on all the time? Thanks...
John Daspit, University of Colorado. DASPIT@COLOLASP

End of Info-Mac Digest