info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 27 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 52

Today's Topics:

      [*] 3D DEMO 1.1
      [*] Buttoneer CDEF
      [*] digsim2.5
      [*] REAL Drag INIT 1.0
      .Z extension
      A couple of questions about hard disks
      Activating AppleTalk from HyperCard
      A good, extended keyboard for a MACIIsi with good resistance
      Color menus
      driver for pc localtalk card
      Educational stacks
      Epson printer drivers? & Followup on Hypercard 2.0 bug
      filemanagement on the MA
      Fried Mac
      Hypercard to Hypertext
      Import gray-scale images, display on SE/30
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #51
      Mac --> Big Blue System 36
      Mac Classic & DataFrame 30
      Mac II->IIfx upgrade report
      Odd/Even Pages
      Printing even-odd pages and white-on-black
      QUED/M version for IIfx?
      Quotes are U's
      ResEdit CODE Editor
      ResEdit CODE template
      Software search.
      Stuffit 1.5 with A/UX
      System Switch Problem
      Think C code for all Macs?
      Token Ring <=> Mac
      Trashed PM File

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 15:16:48 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] 3D DEMO 1.1

This is my first real contribution to the net. It is a 3D demonstration
of a building. It requires Color Quickdraw, an FPU, as well as System
6.0.5 (though for the life of me I can't understand why, yet). It
is distributed as a self-extracting compactor file. Please read the
README file for more details.

All comments are welcome. I can be reached at isstth@nusvm.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/three-d-demo.hqx; 174K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 23:31 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: [*] Buttoneer CDEF

I had a cold today and had to stay home.  This is good for you, since I spent
my afternoon writing Buttoneer.  Buttoneer is a CDEF resource that will allow
programmers to implement buttons and other simple controls that look like
anything you can imagine.  Generally, you can define PICT resources to
replace check boxes, radio controls, buttons and other controls.

The demo program includes the CDEF resource itself and shows a couple
of simple examples of how it might be used.  Source code for the demo
is included, and this is useful in itself.  A lot of tricks for manipulating
dialogs can be gleaned from this code.  It is also slightly amusing and even
non-programmers might be entertained for 30 seconds or more by the
example "check box".

Buttoneer is copyright by Christopher Eliot, but it can be used without charge
for any purpose, including commercial uses.  All I ask is that your program
or documentation gives me credit if you include Buttoneer.  See the
distribution note in the ReadMe document.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/cdef-buttoneer.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 22:41:03 EST
From: Yoon S. Kim <picard@rpi.edu>
Subject: [*] digsim2.5

  I am resending digsim2.5 .

[Archived as /info-mac/app/digsim-25.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 01:26:15 PST
From: osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn)
Subject: [*] REAL Drag INIT 1.0

Hi,

I wrote this INIT called "REAL Drag".
It causes actual windows to be dragged
instead of their outlines.

Instructions:

Hold mouse or shift key down on
startup to disable installation.

Hold down option key to use outline
style dragging.  Holding the command
key down still causes lower windows
not to be raised.

This software is FREE!  Please copy and distribute freely, but
do not sell without my permission.  Comments appreciated.

-- James

[Archived as /info-mac/init/real-drag.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 10:17:20 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: .Z extension

I have a file I'd like to de-compress, (it's called macapl) only I have no idea
what utility it takes to get at this type of compression.  Also do I need to
have transferred this file as binary, or is it another text-type compression?
advThanksance.

C. Jones | 14 Strathmere Place, Guelph, ON. N1H 5L8 |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 09:01:40 CST
From: cordwell@sesca1.sinet.slb.com (Neil Cordwell - Schlumberger, St. Etienne, France)
Subject: A couple of questions about hard disks

Hi everyone,
I have a couple of questions concerning Mac hard disks.

1) When I look at my 80Mb disk with the Apple SC install utility I find about
2Mb of space unused.  Is this space lost forever?  I do remember reading
something in a Mac magazine that explained a trick for recovering this.
Would someone please let me know what I can do.

2) I have over 2000 files on my HD and performance is beginning to suffer.
Does anyone know of some good partitioning software (preferably Shareware).

Thanks in advance for your help.  I will sumarize any interesting responses
for the net.

Neil Cordwell

Schlumberger Technologies               CORDWELL@SESCA1.SDR.SLB.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 16:41 CST
From: DMONEY@ducvax.auburn.edu
Subject: Activating AppleTalk from HyperCard

Is it possible to activate AppleTalk from HyperCard, from an XCMD,
maybe? or maybe just check to see if AppleTalk is active?

Dean Money
Auburn University
dmoney@auducvax.bitnet
dmoney@ducvax.auburn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 20:36:21 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: A good, extended keyboard for a MACIIsi with good resistance

Hi. I'd like an extended keyboard for a MACIIsi that has good key
resistance (i.e. you have to bang the keys down good and hard for
something to happen). Any suggestions? Thanks. MC
Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU  BITNET: NU163467@NDSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 19:17:30 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Color menus

I think this question was asked a while ago, but since I didn't then possess
a color Mac, I paid no attention to it or the answer. Now I have an LC
and followed the intructions in Alley&Strange for using ResEdit to add
color to an application's menus. The application was the Finder. All works
well until I use Multifinder and launch an application. If I then quit or
switch back to the Finder, all the color is gone - the menus are black
and white again. Anyone know what's going on?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF@VM.TCS.TULANE.EDU
PL0BALF@TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 23:47 EST
From: WISWALL@uncavx.unca.edu
Subject: driver for pc localtalk card

Does any one know if it is possible to use a tcp-ip communication package (like
ncsa telnet) on a dos computer with an appletalk pc card installed in it?  The
LocalTalk net the PC is connected to is connected to an ethernet via a Kenetics
Fastpath.  We successfully use ncsa telnet on macs and are able to connect to a
novell server from PC's via the appletalk card.
     -Irv Wiswall  Manager of Academic Computing  University of N

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 16:00:16 +0100
From: Hecquet Michel <MHECQUET%BUCLLN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Educational stacks

I am loocking for educational stacks in the medical area, for example stachs ai
med at the teaching  of anatomy. Thank you very much for the answer.

Michel HECQUET
Hecquet at slig.ucl.ac.be

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 14:48 PST
From: <CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Epson printer drivers? & Followup on Hypercard 2.0 bug

A friend of mine is looking for a driver (preferably freeware) to allow a
Macintosh to print on an Epson dot matrix printer. Even if there are no free
drivers out there, I'd appreciate hearing about any such software (or
hardware, if such is involved). Thanks.

Reply to condof@clargrad.bitnet or condof@clargrad.claremont.edu or
fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com, and I will summarize for the net.

On a totally different topic, earlier I posted about a problem compacting
stacks with resource forks, under Hypercard 2.0. Subsequently, I found out
that this was caused by an interaction between Hypercard 2.0 and Virtual
2.0, which is published by Connectix. Both the 68020/68851 and the 68030
versions of Virtual cause this problem, which happens when a page fault
occurs while Hypercard is replicating the resource fork. I have reported the
bug and provided data samples to Connectix's technical support staff, but
have not heard back from them as yet. The problem does NOT occur with the
virtual memory in System 7.0b1.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 15:50 MET
From: "A.L. SMIT" <SMIT%CABO.AGRO.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: filemanagement on the MA

Hallo everybody,

I would like to know if there is a way to move, copy or rename files similar to
the way it is done under MsDOS or at a VAX-system. Suppose I have 50 files in a
folder and want to move those files containing e.g. "16r" as the 3rd, 4th and
5th character in the filename to another folder. Would that be possible?

Bert Smit
E-mail smit@cabo.agro.nl
P.O. box 14
6700 AA Wageningen
the netherlands

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 91 09:49:00 EST
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Fried Mac

The best (and only) explanations I received about where the
piece of metal came from that fried our Mac+ was from Eric Topp.

He writes:

I read about your fried mac plus, and my best guess as to where the
metal piece came from is the back of the upper head of the floppy drive.
The dimensions sound right and the part number has a similar format
to mine.  Bad adhesive? Certainly bad luck!

Eric Topp

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 21:11:50 -0600
From: "V. J. Melim" <melim@mp.cs.niu.edu>
Subject: Hypercard to Hypertext

 Is there a product available which converts Hypercard 2.0 or 1.x to the
IBM analogue (hypertext ? ). If so, I would be interested in hearing from
anyone who has used such a product and what they think of it ....
Regards,
	V. J. Melim, Department of Computer Science, NIU.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 10:39:30 MEZ
From: ONM010%DE0HRZ1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Import gray-scale images, display on SE/30

I want to translate image data arising in medical imaging and related
simulations into a standard Macintosh graphics format. The data are
stacks of 2-dimensional matrices of 64x64 up to 256x256 floating point
numbers. For documentation purposes and for presentations we want to
transfer the images into a graphics application on the Macintosh (e.g.
to add annotations) and print them in high quality on an Agfa Slide
Writer in our institution. (I am a decent Fortran programer on the VAX
but don't have experience in programming the Macintosh. I am not
prepared e.g. to get the TIFF format description from the archives and
write my own program!)

I also have to do related work on my own SE/30. Does anybody out
there know about a video board which allows to display 8-bit-deep grey
scale images on the built-in CRT? For several reasons I would hate to
add a bulky external monitor. How much would this cost? Please respond
to me directly through EARN/BITNET:  onm010@de0hrz1a. If anybody is
making such a beast, please send information about technical
specifications, availability, and pricing for faculty members of academic
institutions by FAX:  <49> (201) 723-5964, or regular mail to Dr. Stefan
Mueller, Nuklearmedizin, Universitaet-GHS, Hufelandstr. 55, D-4300 Essen
Federal Republic of Germany.

Stefan

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 91 09:06:00 EST
From: "ROBERT A. FUSINA" <fusina@ccf2.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #51

Re: Problem with Glyder and Glypha

	I noticed the same screen problems on my MacIIx at work, although
there is no problem when I run them on my Mac Classic at home. The
solution is simply to set your monitor to B+W, then the problem
disappears. (I don't have Pararena, but I would guess the same would
apply for that)

Robert Fusina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 09:46:13 EST
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Mac --> Big Blue System 36

I'm very interested in finding out if there are any other educational
institutions using Macintoshes to connect with System 36 IBM computers.
I've been researching this, and, having come from the world of UNIX and
VAXEN, I must admit that I'm a little shocked on how hard (and
expensive) it is to connect _any_ kind of PC up to Big Blue hardware.
As far as I can see, my choices come down to a product called IDEAComm
Mac (from IDEAssociates),  and TwinAxcess (from KMW Systems). Also,
as far as I can see we're gonna have to pay about a thousand bucks
for the boards and emulation software.  Sheesh.  Emulation for IBMs
own Personal [sic] System II only costs about $300.  This makes it
hard to justify buying Macs, since terminal emulation is important
here.

So, anybody who has to live with Twinax, drop me a line.  By the way
though my address is Northeastern, I'm up at Trinity College in
Vermont (NU was courteous enough to allow me to continue my account).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 23:11 EST
From: George Nassas <GEORGE%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac Classic & DataFrame 30

Hi netland,

We've been having a strange problem with our new Mac Classic.  It has the
standard 2MD and came with the 40 meg HD.  Our problem comes when we connect
our old SuperMac 30 meg DataFrame hard drive.  Everything seems find for a
while then we get a system alert telling us "address error" or "coprocessor not
installed" after which we have to reset the machine.

This only happens in the finder and only after we've clicked on a window.
We've launched applications and successfully retrieved files from the DataFrame
so this seems to be finder specific.  We've cleaned the system (6.0.7) right
off and reinstalled to no avail and we've also checked for viruses (none
found).  We've removed all our inits and are still crashing.

The drive has been updated with the latest driver from SuperMac and continues
to provide reliable service when used with a Mac Plus.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?  I'd also be curious to hear from people who
are successfully using DataFrame drives with Classics just in case problem
might be specific to our drive.

- George

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 19:50:18 -0500
From: tdh@po.cwru.edu (Thomas D. Halter)
Subject: Mac II->IIfx upgrade report

Well, here is a summary of my findings about the Mac II->IIfx upgrade.

1.  A Mac II with at least 2MB of RAM can run System 7.  With the
 addition of a 68851 PMMU, a Mac II can use the virtual memory
 facility of System 7.  However, because the ROMs are not 32-bit
 clean, System 7 will not run in 32-bit mode.  As a consequence, a
 maximum of about 15MB or so of virtual memory can be addressed
 (depending on how many NuBus cards are installed).

2.  The Mac II->IIfx upgrade from Apple is pretty much a
 motherboard replacement.  Memory is not included, nor it a 1.4
 meg FDHD.  The memory currently in your Mac II can not be used in
 the IIfx, which requires special 64-bit SIMMs.  Price for the
 upgrade appears to be around $2000-$2500.

3.  The FDHD upgrade appears to be about an extra $350 to $400.
  The 800K drive plugs right in to the motherboard and works fine
 with the IIfx.  Several people warn that if you do get the FDHD
 upgrade to make sure the dealer doesn't try to swindle you out of
 the 800K drive for some kind of bogus exchange program.  The 800K
 drive belongs to you, and you shouldn't have to trade it in for
 the FDHD.

4.  The end result of the upgrade is a true Mac IIfx.  There are
 no compatibility problems between an upgraded II and a "true"
 IIfx.  Externally, it still looks like a Mac II since you still use
 your old case

5.  Several people had problems using non-Quantum drives with a
 IIfx.  If you have a drive manufactured by someone other than
 Quantum (all Apple drives are Quantums), upgrade at your own
 risk.

6.  I only had one reply from someone that had a third party
 upgrade, not enough to form any kind of consensus.  Most people
 said that the Apple upgrade was pretty competitive with the third
 party options, so that you might as well get the genuine Apple
 upgrade.

7.  Needless to say, everyone praised the performance of the IIfx
 upgrade, and highly recommended it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 11:02 PST
From: Robert Front <T121267%TWNCU865@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Odd/Even Pages

On 26 Feb 91 09:05:02 PST Jerry Wilcox said:

< A couple of recent notes have mentioned the desire to print just the odd or
< just the even pages of a document on a laser printer, the object being to
< turn the stack over and print on both sides of the paper. I believe that
< WriteNow has the capability of doing this (MS Word 4.0 does *NOT*, nor do
< any of the DA editors I've looked at).

FullWrite Professional has the capability of printing on both sides of the
paper.  After printing the odd side it prints a message with directions on
how to reverse the stack and print the even side.

Robert E. Front
English Department
National Central University
Chung-Li, Taiwan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 06:36:54 PST
From: WINGWR%ORFE.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Printing even-odd pages and white-on-black

Comments here over the past few issues regarding automatic even and odd page
printing as well as printing in reverse video (white on black text) lead me to
comment that Nisus can do both.  It defines type styles for each font which go
beyond such things as italic or bold.  These definitions include inverted
(white on black, also known as reverse video) underline, lowered underline,
word underline, dotted underline, strike-through, overbar, boxed, all-caps,
small-caps, and invisible.  In addition, to printing even or odd pages in
separate passes it will also print facing pages "two-up" (in both portrait and
landscape mode) and (for a real flourish) it will organize these pages so that
they are properly sorted to print a booket if they are stacked, folded and
stapled in the middle.  That is, in the simplest case (a four-page booklet),
pages 1 and 4 face each other on one side of the page and 2 and 3 face each
other on the back side; printed on the second-pass.

I initially wrote up a long opinionated comparison of Nisus and Word-4 (I now
use Word only when forced). However, I decided it looked too much like a flame
and have removed it.  Anyone interested is welcome to direct queries to me
personally.

Standard Disclaimer -  Bill Wing

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 FEB 91 15:00:07 PST
From: <MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: QUED/M version for IIfx?

Dear Netters:

Is there a version 2.0X of QUED/M (the text-only predecessor of NISUS) that
will run on a IIfx?  V. 2.07 won't.  There used to be PUP Decryptor updater
files in the archives that would convert V. 2.01 to 2.07, etc.  Is there one
for 2.07 to 2.0X?  If there is, could comeone please post it?

Thanks a lot,

Rich Klopp
micro2.klopp@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 12:44 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Quotes are U's

Rocky Olive , in V9, #44, writes:

> This is more out of curiosity than anything, but can anyone explain why
> some folks' messages have a "U" instead of a "'"???

Those U's are curly quotes, $D5 hex or 213 dec.
Maybe who writes those messages is using Word (that has the "Smart Quotes"
option), ore he's used to option-shift-].

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 18:47:20 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit CODE Editor

I'd like to help clarifying a few things about the ResEdit CODE Editor:

   1) It was indeed written by Ira Ruben (of Apple Computer, Inc.) and
      was accidentially leaked out by someone at Apple.

   2) It will ONLY work with ResEdit 2.1.

   3) It is not intended for distribution at this point! Please remove
      it from all archives, BBSs, etc.

   4) It will (probably) be part of the next ResEdit release.

Alexander Falk
Part-Time Member of the ResEdit Team

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 08:17:56 CST
From: wolf@fangio.cipl.uiowa.edu
Subject: ResEdit CODE template

This utility which was to disassemble CODE resources caused my system
to crash everytime I tried to use it.  I see it has been removed from
the archives, but what I was wanting to know is:

    Is it being exterminated of bugs?  And will it be back soon?
Can the author comment on this?

Thanks

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 09:29 N
From: BOULLART%AUTOCTRL.RUG.AC.BE@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Software search.

I am searching a software for the Mac for connection via a 75/1200 modem connect
   ion to the public services of "videotex" (so called here in Belgium). The sof
   tware should have the two main standards build in: the French (Minitel) and t
   he
Brittish (Prestel).
Does any-one know of such package?
Please answer directly to me, as I am NOT on the distribution list of info-mac.

Thanks

Luc Boullart.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 11:03:11 GMT
From: William Roberts <liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Stuffit 1.5 with A/UX

In digest <9102200021.AA22422@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 91 14:48:11 LCL you said:
>>When I try to run Stuffit 1.5 under A/UX 2.0 with System 6.0.5, I get the
>>message "The file 'Stuffit 1.5' could not be opened/printed (the application
>>is not compatible with the running System).  Suggestions?

Stuffit 1.5.1 works OK under A/UX 2.0, but suffers from a typical "A/UX
non-awareness" problem. To decide how much space there is on a drive, Stuffit
checks how much free space there is in the top folder of the volume. Under
A/UX 2.0, the UNIX filesystem has varying amounts of free space depending on
which folder you are in: additional "volumes" are attached to the UNIX
filesystem as though they were folders of the main A/UX volume.

My A/UX machine runs with only 634K free in the root partition, but even
though the tmp folder has 6,382K available StuffIt won't let me unpack things
into that folder of the root partition.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 10:08:02 EST
From: Scott Blandford <bford@pcs.cnc.edu>
Subject: Summary: Upgrade of Appletalk to Ethernet

Thanks for all of you responses.  This is a summary of what I have
found out.

>The first problem I anticipate is that this network is currently connected to
>an Ethernet backbone running TCP/IP through a FastPath.  This will obviously not
>work for the new configuration.  What sort of router/gateway hardware (vendors
>and Product names)  will I need to replace this gateway.

For this problem I will probably get a Proteon or Cisco router.  This will also be
able to serve as a router for several of our other networks.  We will try to
sell our FastPath to other Departments who are just building AT Networks.

The other advantage of using a separate router verses Apple's Internet router is that
I won't have to sink someones machine to do the routing.

>Secondly,  What is the current thinking as to the best Ethernet cards available
>today (performance and price/performance).  We need both internal cards and
>external SCSI-Ethernet Adaptors  ( we have several SI's that already have filled
>their slot).

There are a lot of boards out there to do Ethernet stuff but from what I have found
is that the best price/performance award goes to Asanti.  (about $200 for educational
institutions).  Currently only one vendor mades a SCSI-Ethernet Adaptor and this only
operates at 1MB/S speeds, so it is not really an answer to our problem.  Asanti
will be coming out with a full 10MB/S SCSI card in April.  This is what we will be
ordering.

>Finally,  What do we do with the LaserWriter.  Is there such a thing as a
>Ethernet to Appletalk downconverter?

This one is rather straight forward.  Dayna makes a box called Etherprint
which allows a LaserWriter to be hung directly on an Ethernet.  Its cost is
$349.

>These are the problems I anticipate.  All answers will be welcomed.  Also if
>I have overlooked anything please let me know.

The only other thing to really look at is what sort of physical lay to you
want.  Ethernet comes in many flavors; thick, thin, twisted pair, and fiber.
We have decided to go with thin.  A bus configuration is much easier for us
to work with right now and we already have several thinnet networks so we have
the tools.

Thanks to all those who took some time to get a full picture as to what
I needed to do for this upgrade.

The following people sent responses
	Bill Ripperger <WCR%KNOX.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
	jean@biomac.univ-lyon1.fr
	"Stewart Walker" <SWALKER%MTA@UNBMVS1.csd.unb.ca>
	AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
	"David M. Gursky" <dg%TITANIUM.MITRE.ORG@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
	Vincent Keunen <Keunen@milou.nrb.be>
	istjwf@asuvm.inre.asu.edu
	allan@chem.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 19:09:14 EST
From: Faris Alshemmari <ST2@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: System Switch Problem

   I use the Arabic Operating System. I used to switch between the English and
 the Arabic Operating System using System Switcher. When I switch I always
 encounter this problem:
       The Arabic multifinder still works even when I switch
       to the English System. In this case, I can't get access
       to the disk accessaries. In order to solve this problem,
       I have to select set start up .. from the special menu
       and click the multifinder buttom and restart the computer
       again.
 This problem is also happening when I switch to the Arabic System.
    If anyone can help me to find out how to solve this problem, I would
 appreciate his or her help.

                                     Thanks  Faris Alshemmari  ST2 at UGA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 15:31:25 MST
From: dwood@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Doug Wood)
Subject: Think C code for all Macs?

Subject: A single Think C project for Macs with and without a 68881/2?

Right now I have two versions of my project, one that includes
the ANSI-881 library and the other that uses the straight ANSI library.

Question:
How can I write a Think C appliction that will run on ALL MACS
and will use the 881 versions of code when it finds itself
running on a Mac with a FPU?

It is cumbersome to have to have to distribute a FPU mac version
and a non-FPU version.  I see that Excel dynamically uses the 881/2
if it finds it there, I would like to do the same in Think C.

Any suggestions?  My appologies if this has been discussed here before.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 09:09:21 CST
From: Marc Cooper <MAC566F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Token Ring <=> Mac

Computer services is setting up a token ring host. Is there any software
comparable to NCSA Telnet which supports mac token ring cards and the
IP protocol?
Acknowledge-To: <MAC566F@SMSVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 09:59:29 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Trashed PM File

I edit my newsletter using the equipment in a lab where we recently
upgraded from PageMaker 3.0 to 4.0.  I opened issue #1 the other day,
which was in PM 3.0 format (I think), and--being tired of converting
it each time I wanted to look at it--decided to convert it to PM4
format.  Unfortunately, I tried to do it on the same floppy disk on
which the original resided, and ran out of room.  In the process
the file was not only not converted, but the file now won't open at
all.  If I choose "open" I get a system error.  If I choose "open a
copy" it just won't open.  I have checked out the floppy with Norton
Utilities, and it reports no problems.  No, no backup (Mea culpa,
mea maxima culpa).  Can anybody help?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 08:30:00 -0900
From: "Jo Knox - UAF Academic Computing"  <FXJWK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Re: RapidUp

Does anyone have a current electronic address for Dale Semchishen, who
wrote RapidUp?

I have a user who brought me a disk which they were trying to get their files
off of.  Apparently, this user used RapidUp (version 1.1) to save his files on
this disk not as archival, but rather as primary.  That is, he thought RapidUp
was something like StuffIt, with which he could put all his files on one disk,
then later UnStuff...

Without the Restore program, this guy is in trouble, as there are quite a few
files; we could probably piece together everything using FEdit+, but this will
not be a lot of fun!

Please respond with ideas or Dale's email address directly to me, and thanks!
jo

End of Info-Mac Digest