info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/02/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  1 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:

      Another bug in HyperCard 2.0
      Appleshare Limits
      ARCHIE SOLVED !!! at last.
      backup hardware and software
      BBS software
      DXF OR VECTOR TO TEXT AND BACK
      Front-end de communicatione
      hard disk partitions
      IBM to Mac
      info-mac archives help
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #52 (2 msgs)
      keyboards for carpal tunnel patients or other hand problems
      LaTeX for the Mac
      MacBinary
      Mac Plus Hardware Problem
      Mac Plus Hardware Problem - Screen Blanking
      MacroMaker Editor...
      MPW and SADE
      NCSA Telnet
      Need scanner recommendations
      Networking Macs and IBM-PCs?
      NeXT digest
      No 4th Dimension report coming -- sorry
      Odd/Even Pages on LaserWriter, a hint
      PC board CAD software needed
      Picture to text?
      print PostScript on Unix printer
      Pspice
      Psuedo-FPU (Query)
      Quick summery of Mac Tex
      SIMM 1 MB x 9 for Mac?
      System Switcher problem with Arabic
      Transfert of PFS files from Apple II to Mac
      Wang 2110 Terminal Emulation

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 08:24 EST
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Another bug in HyperCard 2.0

The following is a supplement to my note from Info-Mac V9 #39.

There appears to be a bug in the "Print Field..." menu item. In theory
this is said to allow you to print the contents of a field. However,
I find that if you are printing to an Imagewriter, at least, HyperCard
sees only the first five pages-worth of output, then stops. Since a
field can contain 30000 characters, five pages is often not enough
to print even a significant proportion of the contents of the field.

Since many of us are using HyperCard to take notes into, this is a very
serious bug; we can take the notes, but we cannot retrieve them
in printed form (without the hassle of exporting them and printing

Matt Neuburg = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 08:19:21 HOE
From: KBARAKA  at EGIDSCVM
Subject: Appleshare Limits

Hello group,
Can anyone tell me how can I limit the disk space of my server to the
users on our APPLE SHARE NETWORK.
                                  THANKS....

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 23:44 EST
From: "Life. Boy, what a hoot!" <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: ARCHIE SOLVED !!! at last.

NETFOLK,

	Ok, Now I get it.  The count of users that have replied to
this message is now up to 124.  So for all of you users here is the
answer to the confusion that has brewed:

           DO    NOT   F T P !!!

The only way to reach ARCHIE is to call him DIRECTLY.  Access Archie through
your network server, if you have one, like you would to call, say
tokyo university, you wouldn't ftp them for an INTERACTIVE SESSION, you'd
dial direct.  The number of archie, which I'm sure you're all very familiar
with by now: 132.206.2.3 is his tcp/ip address that you would use to access
him if you didn't know his system name, which by the way is:
Quiche.CS.McGill.CA  This WILL work, if you DO NOT FTP, but access directly!
Get it!  I just figured it out, all of you were FTPing...this is a NO-NO.
DO NOT.  OK.  Now, phew, boy am I glad that's all cleared up.
If y'all still don't reach archie after this I'm not sure what to do.

Sorry about the confusion...honestly.

I really do want to hear how all 124...make that 125...make out.  Thanks.
And again sorry for all the trouble I've caused you.  Without you guys,
I wouldn't be able to solve those nasty mac problems that crop up from
time to time.  So agian sorry for the confusion.  Next time I hit the
mother load of Mac Archives...I'll be certain to BE certain that I am
CERTAIN that it works and explain how it works.  Sorry.

Randy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 19:03 PST
From: TELNET@sd-vax.bbn.com
Subject: backup hardware and software

Highly recommend NetSteam Software v2.03 and JetStream 8 mm tape backup.
Netsteam s/w will backup from anything to anything.  Have only backed
up to Jetstream, but it is easy, relatively fast (I work with 600M disks)
and seems quite reliable.

Just a recent user.

_____^_____
    0-0
    (_)+

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 18:32:40 EST
From: robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BBS software

Our Macintosh user group is thinking about setting up a BBS.  They would
like to have a easy to use system.  Some members made comments about some
MS-DOS BBSes that were just too difficult to use.  I have seen advertisments
about TeleFinder and think that this may be the way to go.  Does anyone have
experience with TeleFinder or other BBS applications for the Macintosh?  This
system will probably be a Mac SE or SE/30 with a 2400 and or 9600 modem and an
eighty meg HD.

Reply to me and I will post a summary.
Thank You

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 09:14 CST
From: Chip <ECKARDPP%uwec.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DXF OR VECTOR TO TEXT AND BACK

Two of our users are looking for a program that will convert text to
DXF or Vector format.  They wish to import text to two different CAD
programs; Architiron (which they love) and AutoCad for the Mac (which
they absolutely, positively HATE).
Any ideas?  Thanks for your help.

--Chip Eckardt-- Computer Networking Services University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 13:15:14 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Front-end de communicatione

Hi net-folks,

I'm trying to build a simplistic front-end for communication with a particular
BBS... and I need a bit o' help.

In that I don't care to spend a GREAT deal of time with this, I'm looking at
developing this in SuperCard/HyperCard... or, at most, (eek) BASIC. But I'm
running into two main problems:

a) I can't get a handle on modem port I/O ... mainly Input.... but having some
reliability problems with Output as well. Of course, setting and dialing the
modem is NOT a problem. Rather data capture and/or response. If anyone has had
experience... or even knows of any XCMDs for this purpose... I'd appreciate any
info.

b) Can't find any reference on XMODEM and YMODEM protocols and how to impliment
them. Anybody know of any refSheets, technotes, or book excerpts on the
subject?

Thanks,
Carl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 21:17 PST
From: Mike McNeil <MMCNEIL@sd-vax.bbn.com>
Subject: hard disk partitions

I believe part of your problem is that SUM makes "soft partitions".  Some
one else may be able to confirm or deny that.  Anyway we had problems with
Sum partitions.  I currently use Silverling by Lacie which seems to work
well on all hard drives.  They are currently offering an update to 5.28
which is supposed to be Sys 7.0 compatible.  Haven't got that problem yet.

La cie has a US toll free number 1-800-999-0143.  I think it goes for
$60-80.

We also have had good luck with macinstor, but only used on Macinstor disks
.

We don't use TOPS currently since we are on an ethernet network.

Good Luck,
_____^_____
    0-0
    (_)+

------------------------------

Date: 28 February 91, 09:05:37 IDS
From: KBARAKA  at EGIDSCVM
Subject: IBM to Mac

Hello,
I connected to our IBM Mainframe through IBM PC,and I get more MAC
files from this list,but I want to run this files on my stand alone
MAC SE (FDHD).
Can anyone tell me how can I work with this files on my MAC and how
I change it to the MAC format.

                     Any suggestions will be appreciated......

[The big trick is getting the file from your PC to your Mac.  If you
have a 3.5" floppy on the PC use Apple File Exchange (on your System
disks), otherwise use a cable (yucky!).  Keep them as Binhex until they
get to your Mac and then decode them.  This is why we use Binhex4.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 14:46:49 +0000
From: lempens%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: info-mac archives help

I am new in this world with electronic communications!
Is there anybody out there who can tell me how to access the info-mac archives
>From within Europe (Belgium).
There is a shadow archive at FILESERV@IRLEARN.BITNET, but you must give
number references for a info-mac file.
example : GET 910119 00000008 for the file /info-mac/help/recent-files.txt
Please sent me other addresses with their appropiate commands to get a file.
THANKS IN ADVANCE  RICK LEMPENS bitnet : LEMPENS@BDILUC01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 18:45 CST
From: WILLIAMS@gamma.is.tcu.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #52

TDH> 5. Several people had problems using non-Quantum drives with a
TDH>  IIfx. If you have a drive manufactured by someone other than
TDH>  Quantum (all Apple drives are Quantums), upgrade at your own
TDH>  risk.

I have found some Apple machines with Seagate and Miniscribe drives in them
and I have heard that Apple has used Connor drives.

Mark Williams
williams@gamma.is.tcu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 22:19:14 -0500
From: nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen)

> Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 27 Feb 91       Volume 9 : Issue 52

> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 22:41:03 EST
> From: Yoon S. Kim <picard@rpi.edu>
> Subject: [*] digsim2.5
>
>   I am resending digsim2.5 .
>
> [Archived as /info-mac/app/digsim-25.hqx; 41K]

This cannot be unstuffed with Stuffit 1.5.1 (it appears to be a
Stuffit Deluxe archive).  Please change the archive format, or ask the
original sender to, or whatever.

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
1396 Physics Building
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

[Moderator's Note: We have StuffIt 1.6 (StuffIt Classic) in the archive.
It can unstuff deluxe files. -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 23:54:42 -0800
From: proteus@medisg.stanford.edu
Subject: keyboards for carpal tunnel patients or other hand problems

As many people who type a good amount every day, hand discomfort can
be a recurring problem. Some people even suffer from carpal tunnel
syndrome (I do not know much about this disorder, but I believe it
results from strain in the wrist and on the bones in this region.).
Studies have shown that some of this discomfort can be relieved by
using vertical keyboards, or keyboards shaped live an inverted "V"
because primate hands are more inclined to function in a vertical
plane.

My QUESTION is this: Does anybody know where one might obtain such a
keyboard? I saw one on NBC news one evening about a year ago, but I
have never seen one on the market. I would like to purchase one for my
Mac, but any leads (IBM/Mac/NeXT/SUN (etc.) keyboards) would really be
appreciated.

Thank you.

|  Gregg L. Kasten  |    Stanford University    | proteus@medisg.stanford.edu |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 22:53:20 CST
From: "Hunter Goatley, Western Ky. University" <goathunter@wkuvx1>
Subject: LaTeX for the Mac

>              I have a friend who is a real Unix type. He was wondering if
>there are any LaTex or LaTex like apps for the Mac. If there is interest, I'll
>summerize to the net. Thanks in advance!

OzTeX is available via anonymous ftp from midway.uchicago.edu.  It includes
TeX and LaTeX (and is free, where TeXtures---from Blue Sky Research---is not).

        Blue Sky Research               $495 for Textures
        534 SW Third Avenue             (Educational version $295?)
        Portland, Oregon 97204
        800-622-8398, 503-222-9571

Hunter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 09:07:38 EDT
From: mperry@sydvm1.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: MacBinary

Hi y'all,
I am wondering if MacBinary (BinHex 5.0) is available as a stand-alone
application or is only part of some comms programs??? It is annoying when
some archives (not sumex :-) don't use BinHex4 on their files and I (and I
expect others) don't use my (their) Mac(s) to down-load stuff ...
Thanks, the above opinions mine etc, Mark.

[Moderator's Note: We used to have Binhex 5.0 in the archive, but I
guess no one used it because it is gone. I've got it on a disk
somewhere, but I would have to search.  Someone want to send it to Mark?
-- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 12:05:18 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: Mac Plus Hardware Problem

I know somebody whith a plus who has to slap her hands occasionally on
each side of the monitor to bring the screen back to life. Crazy???
Commenting on this recently I found yet another person who does this
to an SE. Amazingly this slap a mac approach seems to work for both
people.Naturally I suggested having the problem diagnosed and
repaired:-) Does anybody out there recognise these(Mac)symptoms
the human ones are irreperable:-)
G. Byron Stirling University. gsb1@uk.ac.stirling.forth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 13:53:14 PST
From: Paul_Johnson.ES_XC15@xerox.com
Subject: Mac Plus Hardware Problem - Screen Blanking

I had the screen blanking problem with my Plus.  I could even bang the desk or
the side of Mac to get the screen to go blank altogether.  When the machine was
good and warm the problem went away.

It finially got so bad that I had to do something.  For Christmas, Santa gave
me  a copy of "Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets"  by Larry Pina.  What a
good book.  Any way I poured over the book which identifies common problems and
solutions listed for Video.  For a dark screen, the book suggests several
possible problems and solutions.  Some fixes involve replacing parts like the
flyback transforme, some capacitors, and even a power transformer in the
flyback circuit, but the first suggestion is to check for cracked solder joints
on connector J4 - specifically pins 1 and 3.  I was a little shy about ripping
parts off the analog board so I opened it up (I had done that once before to
put in 2 meg of memory) and checked for the bad solder joints.

It wasn't obvious so I tried to heat the two joints up hoping they would just
clean themselves up.  When I did that, they just balled up into an ugly glob of
solder.  Now I knew I had a problem.  So I got a desoldering tool and removed
the messed up joints and resoldered the two joints.  When I fired the machine
up, no more blinking.  I used the tune-up instructions in the manual to get the
screen back to the correct size and closed up the Mac.

That was two months ago and I have not seen any blinking since.  I have passed
the info on to my brother who fixed his Plus the same way.  I also passed the
info to Juan Pablo, a fellow Xerox employee in Mexico, who fixed his Plus too.
The book was 30 bucks and well worth the price.  There were some anxious
moments but I feel good knowing I fixed it and saved $240 for a new analog
board from Apple.

Good Luck,
Paul Johnson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 22:35:25 -0500
From: cs483106@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs483106)
Subject: MacroMaker Editor...

Recently I've started using Apple's MacroMaker utility. I've (so far) had good
luck with it. The only problem is that there is no way to edit a macro! You
have to simply start all over again--not the most pleasent thing in the world
sometimes. Does anyone have an editor for MacroMaker macros? and if so, could
you please point me to it or upload it to the info-mac archives?

Or, if no such thing exists, does anyone have any idea how the MacroMaker
files are formatted? I don't right now have time to write such a beast, but
this summer I'll only be working, not going to school, which should
leave me plenty of free time...

Michael Kohne (mikek@isis.ngs.noaa.gov)

P.S. mail me and I'll summarize to info-mac.

[Jean-Louis Gasee publicly apologized for MacroMaker's worthlessness at
MacWorld a few years back.  Get QuicKeys 2.0 from CE Software. It works,
it's editable, and it's extensible.  Just my worthwhile opinion...  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 21:53:41 PLT
From: Wayne Joerding <JOERD@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: MPW and SADE

I'm forced to use MPW to write some ANSI C code.  I would like to use printf
which seems to mean that I must treat the code as an MPW tool.  So I have
two questions:
1. Is there a printf environment available somewhere so that I can have
printf commands in an application compiled by MPW?  Ideally, there is a
library that I can include with my application and that supports printf.
What are other people doing about the printf problem in MPW compiled
applications?
2. Does SADE work with MPW tools?

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Joerding
Econ. Dept.
Wash. State University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 8:11:13 MST
From: Mike Peralta <mperalta@huachuca-emh8.army.mil>
Subject: NCSA Telnet

Is there a version of NCSA Telnet that implements both an FTP client and
server? I seem to recall someone having discussed a version from BYU that did
just this, but I'm not sure. If so, what kinds of experiences have people had
with it and where is it available? Are there any similar applications based on
something other than NCSA Telnet available in the public domain? Any comments
or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and summarized for the net if
there is enough interest.

Thanks, Mike L. Peralta

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 15:43:58 CST
From: "Randy Bradley (USDA.ARS.SEA.MARC)" <MARC003%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need scanner recommendations

     Can anyone recommend a flatbed scanner?  A new scientist here wants
one for the major use of scanning gels, however, he would rather spend
a little extra now to get grey-scale and color for those times when it
is sure to come in handy for a presentation overhead or slide.  I've
noticed Microtek MS 300ZS (apx $1895) and RealTech 24-Bit (apx $1499).
Any pro's or con's will be a great help.

     BTW, he also thought he saw something somewhere about pen mice.
Are these in production yet for Macs?  Do you need a special pad?  Are
they expensive?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 18:51:08 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Networking Macs and IBM-PCs?

I have a queastion concerning a network of IBM PCs and Macintoshes: Our
department at the university has 7 MS-DOS computers (both IBMs and
compatibles), who are all connected to thin-wire Ethernet and use NCSA
telnet to talk to the university's mainframe and other machines on the
Internet. We are now planning to buy 3 Macintoshes and 1 LaserWriter
and we would like to also be able to print to the LaserWriter from the
DOS machines. We do, however, not want to install additional network
hardware (such as the LocalTalk PC Card) in the DOS machines.
One solution, that comes to mind, is to buy a GatorBox and use the
AppleShare PC software to print to the LaserWriter via Ethernet, the
GatorBox, and LocalTalk. The added benefit would be, that the Macs would
thus also have access to the Internet.

Here are the questions:

    1) Does anyone have experience with using AppleShare PC and NCSA
       Telnet on a Western Digital EtherCard Plus (8003E). Does this
       work at all? Can AppleShare PC and TCP/IP services be used
       simultaneously?

    2) Are there any other possible solutions that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any help in advance. Please reply directly to me.

 L  exander
  F alk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 00:20 EST
From: "Juan A. Pons" <JPONS@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: NeXT digest

Hello!

Does anyone know if a NeXT digest exists out there? I am considering buying a
NeXT but would like to hear from people who have one before I spend that amount
of money! Thanks a lot!

Juan Pons       INTERNET JPons@Jack.ClarkU.Edu          BITNET JPons@ClarkU

[Send a message of INFO GENINTRO to LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU for an
intro to the list server than manages the NEXT-L list.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 17:40:12 PST
From: Alex_Curylo@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: No 4th Dimension report coming -- sorry

Some weeks ago I solicited advice on speeding up 4th Dimension, and promised
to submit a report to the archives. Well, in between getting an avalanche
of opinions, a larger avalanche of requests for the findings, another
avalanche of product literature, and getting all of the foregoing organized,
evaluated, and summarized, Fate intervened and sent all the physical and
Mac-based copy to wherever the spirits of immolated inanimate objects go.
And of course, all that was left on my mainframe account was two late
requests for a copy of the report. So, no report will be forthcoming. Sorry.
If anyone has any specific questions, I might remember enough from my reading
to be able to handle them, so e-mail me directly at userxf7b@sfu.cc.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 14:26:25 +0100
From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Subject: Odd/Even Pages on LaserWriter, a hint

Reading the questions about printing only even/odd pages on a laser printer
I wondered whether a variant of the hack to prevent users from printing
multiple copies of a document (by changing one of the LaserWriter's 'POST'
resources could be used to build a new LaserWriter driver called
'Odd LaserWriter'. This driver would have to contain a redefinition of
'showpage' (that is what I remember to be the word which ends every
Postscript page) which does an original 'showpage' and skips all text
until the next 'showpage' (ignoring comments and strings containing
showpage, of course). This driver could then not only be used to print
the odd pages, but also (by specifying a starting page # of 2) to print
the even ones.

I will leave this hack as an exercise for the reader (actually I do know
nearly nothing of PostScript, so I just post this as a hint to more
knowledgable persons).

Disclaimer: this is just one of those weird (but potentially great) ideas
            which enter my mind every now and then. If you think it's crap
            please say so. I might just learn a little of it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 09:40 EST
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ulkyvx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC board CAD software needed

Can someone out there point me to a reasonably priced commercial PC board CAD
system?  It needs enough capacity to design doubled sided boards for a
microcontroller project.  Schematic capture would be a real plus but not vital.

This software would need to run on a Mac Classic, System 6.0.7, 40 MB hard
disk.  It doesn't need to be the "state-of-the-art" package, mostly because my
designs won't need that capability.  The ability to produce 1X art is all
that's really needed.  Drill files, etc. would be nice but not required.

Please respond directly to me.  I will summarize if the interest in this is
considerable.

Thanks!

Michael Harpe, N4PLE                   | BITNET: MEHARP01@ULKYVX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 22:28 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Picture to text?

Has anyone ever seen a Mac program that will accept a graphics file of
some sort (PICT, TIFF, whatever) as input and output a text graphic?
You know, the kind that you used to see on calendars and shirts, where
different characters were used for different darkness values.  If there's
no such thing for the Mac, does anyone have source code for such an
algorithm for any machine that they would be willing to send me upon which
I could base a Mac program?

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 21:12:03 cst
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: print PostScript on Unix printer

I uploaded a Mac-generated PostScript file to my UNIX class account.  But when
I tried to print it using "lpr", the PostScript printer connected to UNIX simply
didn't respond.  I think there is something mac specific in the headers.
Any advice?

[Moderator's Note: Check out /info-mac/unix/macps-22.shar in the
archive.  It is a program that munges the Macintosh header into a form
more palatable to your PS printer. I've only run it on Suns but it is in
compilable form so it should work on any Unix box. -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 10:28 EST
From: SMITH@utkvx.utk.edu
Subject: Pspice

	I'm new at using internet and the only real problem I seem to be
running into is I keep exceeding my disk space on my system.  More to the
point I can only put about 160k on my vax account and many of the programs
I try to get or more then this (ie, PSPICE).  I would appreciate any help
in getting around this problem.  The engineering department refuses to alot
me any more disk space so I'm kinda stuck.  Again, thanks in advance for any
help.
                         David
			 SMITH@UTKVX.BITNET
			 SMITH@UTKVX.UTK.EDU

[The only suggestion I can make is to get an Ethernet board if UTK
doesn't have a router (Kinetics or GatorBox) and FTP directly to/from
your Macintosh.  It's that or pleading and begging.  The squeeky wheel
gets the grease. ;^) -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 91 23:01:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: Psuedo-FPU (Query)

I am looking for a way to distribute my codes that are compiled from
Language systems fortran to Macs with and without hardware floating point.
I seem to remember an init(?) called psuedo-fpu that would trap inline
hardware floating point calls and route it to software routines. I searched
the infomac archives, but couldn't find it. Anyone know where it is, or if
such a thing really exists? I don't want to maintain two copies of all these
libraries...

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 27 Feb 1991 12:36:44 EST
From: m21743@mwvm.mitre.org (Kenneth Falkenstein)
Subject: Quick summery of Mac Tex

Hi folks,
    Many thanks for the quick reply from all thoes who sent me info on Tex.
Seems as though there are two contenders.
  TexTures  $495  Blue Sky Research  (800) 622-8398
  OzTex     FREE  tank.uchicago.edu
                  giza.cis.ohio-state.edu
                  and many others
  Most (but not all) felt that OzTex is almost as complete as TexTures. Also,
it's rather large, so prepare for a long download. Also, comp.text.txt is
supposedly a newsgroup site for Tex. Thanks again for all the replies!
*
*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 19:11 PST
From: TELNET@sd-vax.bbn.com
Subject: SIMM 1 MB x 9 for Mac?

According to MACUSER April 1991, the answer is YES with qualifiers.  Nice
article on SIMMS in general.  The qualifiers have to do with what type
MAC you have.  Obviously won't work in IIfx or Portable, timing is a factor,
and they say IBM usually cost more.  If you have a IIci, it can actually use
the 9th parity chip.  No othe Mac can use it.  Give the article a quick read.

_____^_____
    0-0
    (_)+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 07:59:56 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System Switcher problem with Arabic

Faris Alshemmari writes that when he uses System Switcher to switch between
Arabic and English operating systems, he defaults to the Arabic
MultiFinder.

Try using Blesser instead of System Switcher. I switch between Spanish and
Danish and Irish (alpha version) all the time, no problems.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 07:41 GMT
From: "ERIC CORNELIS, FUNDP, DPT MATH, +32 81 724922" <ECORNELIS%BNANDP51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Transfert of PFS files from Apple II to Mac

Hello, netters
                Here is the problem one of my colleague have encountered. He
needs to transfert files from PFS file on the Apple II to the Mac (and don't
need any special format on the MAC). The problem is that PFS on Apple II
doesn't accept serial output. So it is'nt possible to use, for example,
Kermit taking the data printed to the serial port of the Apple II and
transfering them to the MAC. The format used by PFS seems also very
mysterious. So, has anybody some idea how to do ? I must say that we
have PFS on Apple II but also on the MAC (but nowhere in the documentation
we found a word on compatibility).
                Beforehand, thanks for your help

                        Eric CORNELIS, FUNDP (Univ. of Namur) Dpt MATH.
  e-mail : ECORNELIS@BNANDP51.BITNET    or ECORNELIS@CC.FUNDP.AC.BE

Date: 28 Feb 91 19:14:00 EDT
From: "1LT ROGER THRASHER" <thrasherr@v3.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Wang 2110 Terminal Emulation

Does anyone know of software to emulate a Wang 210 terminal? I'm trying to
connect to a Wang mainframe via modem and I'm told this is what I need. Any
suggestions? Thanks.

End of Info-Mac Digest