[comp.sys.mac.digest] Info-Mac Digest V9 #54 - RESEND

info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/05/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  4 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 54

Today's Topics:

      Administrivia - RICEVM1 shadow archive - unreplyable addresses
      [*] Catch The Buzz 1.0
      [*] Cow Startup Screen--No Controversy!! I Promise!
      [*] HP DeskWriter 2.1 drivers
      [*] Reagan's Awakening 1.1
      After Dark Fireworks Wanted
      Archie for the last time...honest.
      Assembler for mac
      Asynchronous Serial Appletalk
      Banana Junior Found, at last !!!
      Big files, low quota
      Desktop digest update
      DeskWriter Problems
      e-mail on Mac, info request
      even/odd pages
      Help with a Network Problem
      Hypercard to Hypertext
      II --> IIfx upgrade
      IIfx Sound
      LC Fan
      Locked Document from Hell
      Mac SE disk compatibility
      NEC CDR 35 CD ROM drive problems
      On or Off?
      Pacific Data Products Postscript Emulation
      Problems unstuffing
      QUED/M latest version info
      Quote Init 2.2 (2 msgs)
      ResEdit 2.1: more problems
      ScreenSavers and Network Function?
      sys607 hassle
      Tape Backups
      The last word on Hypercard 2.0 and Virtual 2.0
      to all those who replied to me.
      Your help wanted !!

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 91 11:43:03 CST
From: "Mark R. Williamson" <MARK@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Administrivia - RICEVM1 shadow archive - unreplyable addresses

The BITNET shadow Info-Mac Archive server at RICEVM1 has reported
problems responding to requests from the following addresses:

nyp00@EAGLE-AUS                    -- Missing high-level domain(s)
jgk00@EAGLE-AUS                    --   "
van-bc!mdivax1!lyson@UUNET.UU.NET  -- UUNET doesn't recognize van-bc
lei@MOZART.MOZART                  -- Invalid high-level domain
lei@PICASSO.LIEBNIZ                --   "

I'm sorry to bother the rest of you with this, but I can't send mail
to these addresses directly (for reasons which should be obvious).
Perhaps these users will see this message and either correct their
return addresses or stop trying to use the RIVEVM1 server.

Mark R. Williamson, Rice University, Houston, TX; MARK@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU
Coordinating BITNET redistribution of Info-Mac archive files from Rice.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 10:06:31 +0100
From: cons@cernvax.cern.ch (Lionel Cons)
Subject: [*] Catch The Buzz 1.0

Catch The Buzz (CTB) is an arcade game that looks like the popular game
Tetris. The big difference is a little annoying block called the Buzz.
The aim of the game is to 'Catch The Buzz' :-)

This posting is the first public release of CTB, I hope it will work on
most Macintosh.

Have fun...

Lionel CONS, cons@cernvax.cern.ch

[Archived as /info-mac/game/catch-the-buzz.hqx; 337K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 21:45
From: <IOCONNOR%SUNRISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Cow Startup Screen--No Controversy!! I Promise!

Enclosed is a startup screen with two big cows looking up at you.
It's really kinda cool.  Its Freeware, or NoControversyware or
CowWare.  I don't know which.

Anyway, enjoy.

Keep on Mac'in.

Kieran O'Connor

[Archived as /info-mac/art/cow.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 09:05:05 pst
From: Dave Neff <neff@hpvcldn.vcd.hp.com>
Subject: [*] HP DeskWriter 2.1 drivers

Hi,

Included are the latest versions of the HP DeskWriter (2.1) drivers.
Feel free to add these to the info-mac archives with HP's "blessings".

The following is a binhex/stuffit archive that contains both the serial
and AppleTalk DeskWriter drivers version 2.1 along with a README file
that indicates what bugs were fixed and features were added.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

[Archived as /info-mac/util/deskwriter-drivers-21.hqx; 365K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 20:26:42 PST
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Reagan's Awakening 1.1

Given the debate about the No-Saddam StartupScreen, I thought I'd
drop another Bush League shoe: fight fire with fire (or bad taste
with bad taste), eh?

This little shareware gem (lifted from another BBS) was produced by
Mark Malamud for Tao-Jones Software in Seattle.  (I'm not acting
on the author's behalf, I just enjoy good satire.)

Run this application in the background under MultiFinder to see
Bush's predecessor at ... work??  Includes Online Help and
several acoustical embellishments.

Pacific Northwestly yours,
Jay Handel (jay_handel@mtsg.ubc.ca)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/reagans-awakening-11.hqx; 254K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 07:09:34 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: After Dark Fireworks Wanted

Has anybody made a fireworks module (like Pyro) for After Dark?

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca   userlsf@ubc.mtsg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 18:19 EST
From: "Life. Boy, what a hoot!" <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: Archie for the last time...honest.

To the, now, 141 users that have contacted me about ARCHIE, This is
the last and final message concerning archie I will ever write.

Here it is.

1.  Do Not FTP.

2.  Telnet to 132.206.2.3 (or whatever U do to login to another sys).

3.  Use lower case.  (my mistake.  My termn was sending lower case, printing
    upper case).

4.  That is it.

Randy.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 00:10:36 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Assembler for mac

Can anyone recommend to me a book or reference for writing Assemble
for Mac, especially how to use it with Think C?
Thanks a lot!
		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 12:00:06 -0500
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: Asynchronous Serial Appletalk

Do any of you Macwizards out there know if there is any mechanism available
for running Appletalk over the serial port as an asynchronous, character-based
protocol?

	Bob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 21:00 EST
From: "Life. Boy, what a hoot!" <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: Banana Junior Found, at last !!!

To whom it may concern.

	A few digests ago, a user requested The Banana Junior HD icon.
I have discovered the infamous Icon, and several others like it, that
relate to bloom county and will send out the relevant program to those
who drop me a line.  As I don't want to clutter the net files.  Unless
there is a huge demand, in which case I'll up-load to sumex.  Moderators
willing...please Bill ?

Randy English

"Life is short..."
(Can anyone complete this quote ?)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Mar 91 03:48:37 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Big files, low quota

In V9 #53, David Smith (Smith@utkvx.utk.edu) writes:

>	I'm new at using internet and the only real problem I seem to be
>running into is I keep exceeding my disk space on my system.  More to the
>point I can only put about 160k on my vax account and many of the programs
>I try to get or more then this (ie, PSPICE).  I would appreciate any help
>in getting around this problem.  The engineering department refuses to alot
>me any more disk space so I'm kinda stuck.  Again, thanks in advance for any
>help.

Well, first of all, you might suggest that they up their hard disk storage.
160K?  That's absurd.  I thought Athena was bad with 1200.

Next, if they won't go for that, suggest that they create a directory called
something like /bitbucket, with a few meg of space, world read/writeable, but
which is purged of any file older than a couple of days.  This could then be
used as temporary workspace for people who need to temporarily have BIG files.

Other than that, I agree with our illustrious moderator -- try to find a Mac
with an Ethernet board or on an Appletalk network with an Ethernet bridge.

--Mike

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 91 13:00:20 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: Desktop digest update

                       Subject:                               Time:12:54 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Desktop digest update                  Date:3/1/91
The Desktop Digest previously announced in this space is now up & running on a
listserver. The digest is intended to be a forum for discussion on issues
involving desktop publishing in general, and various programs in particular.

To subscribe, issue the command (this is for vm/cms users):
tell listserv@yalevm subscribe dtp-l firstname middleinitial lastname
If this doesn't go through, substitute "yalevm.ycc.yale.edu" for "yalevm"
Please consult your local CIS/MIS person on sending this command from non-cms
systems.

You can subscribe via mail by "mail"ing listserv@yalevm & including
as the very first line, the item:
subscribe dtp-l firstname middleinitial lastname

If neither of these techniques work, as a last resort send mail
to glenn_fleishman.cacs1@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu with your
full name and internet address (or bitnet address with internet
pathways specified.)

To submit items, mail to either of the two moderators, Glenn
Fleishman (address just above) or Jeff Wasilko at RIT
(jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu). When items submitted reaches 30K
or thereabouts, a digest will be issued which will be sent
to all subscribers.

Thanks for your participation, and thanks to the info-mac moderators.
(P.S. If you don't have mail capability to handle the subscription,
the digests will be archived at sumex-aim under ./info-mac/digest/)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 21:40 EST
From: LLEDUC%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: DeskWriter Problems

I recently submitted a short message explaining my problems printing some
documents with the HP DeskWriter. I have noticed that some problems such as
the "printer is not responding" occur when I print using MS Word 4.0 and More
3.0.  Some netters have indicated that I would not have any problems if I
used the new version of the printer driver (version 2.1). I realize that this
driver is available on the network through FTPing. Unfortunately, I don't
have access to FTPing at my end and I can't get the new version of the
driver. I tried to get it from HP in Canada but they told me to get it from
the US.  I would be very grateful if someone could send me the driver. Thanks
a lot.

Leo G. Leduc
Laurentian University, CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:33:53 +0100
From: dumas@europe.cisco.com (Jean-Pierre Dumas)
Subject: e-mail on Mac, info request

Seeing the problems of having Mac users connect to our Sun for e-mail
reading and sending, I would like to have the mail brought to their
favorite environment.

Mac to Mac mail is not very heavy, but Mac <-> SMTP mail is the really
needed thing.

I have a GatorBox linking the LocalTalk to our general Network (TCP/IP),
and I'd like to install GatorMail.

Now the question : Microsoft Mail or QuickMail ?

I have never seen any of those 2.
All relevant informations will help me.
First hand experience reports welcome.

Jean-Pierre Dumas
P.S. I do not subscribe to info-mac, please reply to me.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 15:32:07 PST
From: anmehta@vassar.edu
Subject: even/odd pages

To those wishing to print double sided pages, there will be a printing
utility available in mid-March called DynoPage(tm) which allows this from
nearly any applications.  Contact Portfolio Systems for more information.

Portfolio Systems, Inc.   phone (914) 876-7744
21 East Market Street     fax   (914) 876-7747
Rhinebeck, NY 12572       AppleLink: DYNO

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:50:50 EST
From: David Libby <DLIBBY%MITVMC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help with a Network Problem

In one of our buildings we have a Localtalk network wired through a
Star Controller.  Connected to it are a total of about 15 Macs,
including 4 SE/030s.  Three of the four SE/030s (the three purchased in
the last six months) are having serious network problems.  The first
access to the network for each (i.e. selecting the Chooser) causes the
Mac to sit there for several minutes before anything happens.  Putting
Responder in the System Folder causes the Macs to take from 3-5 minutes
to startup while they poll the network.  Trafficwatch shows them pouring
packets out onto the network.

After the first access, everything runs fine, although one of the
machines has occasional problems printing (the other two do not).
I've reinstalled the System (6.0.4) and scanned for viruses with
the latest Disinfectant.

Any ideas?  Network Services here is checking the lines but I thought
I'd see if anyone else has ever seen this.  Could it be the SE/030s or
is it just a coincidence?  Respond directly -- dlibby@mitvmc.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 11:54:32 PST
From: Gary Greene <garyg@zip.convergent.com>
Subject: Hypercard to Hypertext

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

> Is there a product available which converts Hypercard 2.0 or 1.x to the
>IBM analogue (hypertext ? ). If so, I would be interested in hearing from
>anyone who has used such a product and what they think of it ....
>Regards,
>	V. J. Melim, Department of Computer Science, NIU.

Depending upon what you mean by hypertext,  Heizer Software markets something
that will convert a hypercard stack to an intermediate format which a second
application, which they provide, running on the PC side will convert to a
ToolBook document.  Forget any XCMDs though or anything of that nature.

Alternatively, Plus running on a Mac can convert a Hypercard stack to its
own format.  Since Plus runs on both the PC and the Mac, and the file formats
are totally transportable, any stack so converted will run on the PC.

For Plus, look in your favorite retail or mail-order outlet, or contact
Spinnaker Software.  Sorry I don't have their address or phone number.
For Heizer:

		Heizer Software			Phone: 800-888-7667
		PO Box 232019			Fax: 415-943-6882
		Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

Be advised that Toolbook does not have as great a total capacity for
some things as HyperCard, though it provides more functionality in
other areas,  therefore large stacks may need to be broken in two.

Cheers,

Gary Greene
Unisys/Convergent Technology
San Jose, California
garyg@convergent.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 21:16:20 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: II --> IIfx upgrade

In the last digest, Thomas D. Halter writes:

>1.  A Mac II with at least 2MB of RAM can run System 7.  With the
> addition of a 68851 PMMU, a Mac II can use the virtual memory
> facility of System 7.  However, because the ROMs are not 32-bit
> clean, System 7 will not run in 32-bit mode.  As a consequence, a
> maximum of about 15MB or so of virtual memory can be addressed
> (depending on how many NuBus cards are installed).

Question:  Does the same hold true for a IIx?  I realize it already has an MMU
in the 68030, but I'm wondering if the ROMs are 32-bit clean.  If not (since I
believer they're on a SIMM), will Apple offer new clean ones in exchange?

Thanks!
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 12:51:39 EST
From: Bill Brandt <WBRANDT@cms.cc.wayne.edu>
Subject: IIfx Sound

  Does the IIfx really playback bad sound or do I just have a bad speaker?
Since I've got the only IIfx in the office (yes, I do homage to the god of
Macs every day for this blessing-it involves spreading out a static mat at
dawn, kneeling on it facing west (Cupertino), and chanting 'The computer for
the rest of us' for several minutes :-) I really don't have anything else to
compare it to. At first I thought the bad sound was due to the speed of the
fx. Sounds sampled at 11 and 22KHz sounded great on my SE at home yet came
out tinny and grainy on the fx. But after reading some sound documentation
it looks like the IIfx should be playing back sound as good as any other Mac.
So is anyone else experiencing the same problem or do I have a lemon fx?
Thanks for any replies to: WBRANDT@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:34:11 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: LC Fan

My one-week old LC is back at the repair shop with a fan that refuses to
start when the computer does (no, it's not thermostatically controlled).
Instead, all I get is a quiet double-clicking sound, loud enough to be
infuriating in a quiet office. Have I just been unlucky, or are we off
on another of Apple's "bad part" sagas, like power supplies, sticky hard
disks, cache cards etc?

Graeme Forbes
Bitnet: PL0BALF@TCSVM
Internet: PL0BALF@VM.TCS.TULANE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 91 10:36:48 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Locked Document from Hell

Here's a puzzler.  A friend of mine was working on a Word document on
a flaky Mac II in our lab (the motherboard seems to be dying) which
crashed while he was working.  When he booted back up and reopened his
file, it had become locked!  At the desktop the little black padlock
was showing, and no changes could be made to the doucment.  Opening
the "Get Info" window showed that the lock box was checked, but
it could not be permanently unchecked.  That is, the "X" would
disappear upon clicking, but moving the mouse in any way would cause
the X to reappar and the document to remain locked.  To top it all
off, several hours later, the problem disappeared.  The document was
no longer locked, and it behaved properly.  Note: the document was
on a shared hard disk which he was accessing through TOPS when the
crash happened.  There is no security software installed on our
system for locking files.  Any ideas what might have caused this?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 10:22 EDT
From: Bill Wilson <WILSON%GBURG.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac SE disk compatibility

We have a few older Macs without superdrives in our public labs.  We have
some students who have purchased newer SEs with superdrives.  We have
gotten increasingly more cases like the following.  A student creates some
files on their SE on the superdrive; they come to our lab to try to print
and we can't see those files; only the bytes used shows that something is
on the disk.  These events, so far at least, have happened on 800k disks.
Our labs are 6.0.5.  Any clues?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 21:01:10 GMT
From: kerr@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Stan Kerr)
Subject: NEC CDR 35 CD ROM drive problems

I recently availed myself of an offer from Tiger Software for a
NEC CDR-35 CD ROM drive. I got it last week with a small bundle
of disks, and things seemed to function OK. Today I was trying
to show it to someone, and two of the disks suddenly seem to have
serious flaws. One of them won't mount any more at all, even though
it mounts on my friend's (non-NEC) drive. The other one has spots
that apparently won't read.

Before I tear my hair out and send the whole shebang back where
it came from (with curses), does anyone have any suggestions?
Any CD ROM secrets I haven't been told?

Assuming the apparent flaws on my disks are real, there's another
question: is there any tool to verify the surface of a CD ROM?
Given that CD ROM's hold gobs of stuff, it's just
not practical to try to manually access everything on the disk
to make sure it's OK.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 17:15 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: On or Off?

I just read in MacWorld that "[...] generating electricity to keep 20% of
all computers in the USA on for a year would result in emissions of over 9.5
million tons of carbon dioxide: that's equivalent to driving 36 million
miles at 28 miles per gallon."

Maybe from an environmental point of view, it would be better to turn the
Mac off...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 09:50:15 PST
From: Ira_Scharfglass.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Pacific Data Products Postscript Emulation

I've seen ads for a postscript emulation cartridge from Pacific Data Products
that contains  both Postscript and Appletalk support.  This will work with a
Laserjet IIP and is quite a bit cheaper than buying the Postscript and
Appletalk options from HP.  Anybody have any experience with these products?

Any info will be appreciated

Ira

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 11:40:13 EST
From: MOISEFF%UCONNVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Problems unstuffing

I managed to FTP a file- after de-binhexing the resulting file was
named 'file.sit$5nbin' .  It looks like a stuffit file but is a
TEXT/???? type file.  It cannot be unstuffed directly.  Does
Anyone knbow what this $5nbin suffix means?  How do I unstuff it?

------------------------------

Date: 28 Feb 91 10:06:00 MST
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: QUED/M latest version info

In v9-52, <MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com> (Rich Klopp) asks:

> Is there a version 2.0X of QUED/M (the text-only predecessor of
> NISUS) that will run on a IIfx? V. 2.07 won't....

According to Paragon, the latest version is 2.09, and they aren't doing
the PUP decryptor method of updating any more. They charge $10 for
the latest version, and you also have to send them your original disk.
They say this version fixes bugs that occur with recent versions of the
System like 6.0.2 or so and later. I don't know if this fixes the IIfx
problem, but I know 2.07 really screws up on my IIx under 6.0.5.
The address is:

Paragon Concepts
990 Highland Dr, Ste. 312
Solana Beach, CA 92075
619-481-1477

Shannon Spires, SVSPIRE@SANDIA.GOV
(I have no connection with Paragon, other than as a user of Qued/M)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:02:05 -0500
From: lstein@hstbme.mit.edu (Lincoln Stein)
Subject: Quote Init 2.2

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 17:21:48 EST

I am responding to a recent digest article complaining of
incompatabilities between Quote Init 2.2 and MacKermit.   Quote Init
changes neutral quotes and apostrophes into curly matched pairs as you
type.  This is fine in word processor programs but can create some
problems during telecommunications.  Most hosts do not accept the extended
ASCII set and choke on the curly characters.  The most common symptom of
this is to find "U" and "S" characters being echoed back in the place of
the curly quote characters.   This problem is discussed at length in the
Quote Init documentation.

The solution?  Simple.  Just turn Quote Init off when you use a
telecommunications program.  This can be done from the control panel or
>From the keyboard.  Command-Shift-Quote turns the substitution features on
and off (this hot-key combination can be customized from the control
panel).

If there is enough demand for it, I am willing to add a feature to the
next release of Quote Init which allows you to specify a list of software
programs in which to become inactive.

A note:  Quote Init is shareware, with a $15 suggested registration fee.
It can be obtained from many shareware sources, including ZMAC on
Compuserve, or by writing to me at: Internet lstein@hstbme.mit.edu; USMAIL
44 Boynton St. #3, Boston, MA 02130.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 11:16:39 +1100
From: Geoff Isaacs <igeoff@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au>

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>>Rocky Olive of Data General Corporation asked why the singel and double
>quotes in MacKermit suddenly began being generated as "U" and "S".  The
>reason I found out was because of the INIT Quote Init 2.2.  Remove the
>init from your system folder and the problem will be solved.  Is the
>init creator listening out there?

>Jim Powlesland, Academic Computing Services, University of Calgary,
>Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4 (403) 220-7937

It is perfevtly possible to disable the quote feature permanently
>From the control panel or temporarily (using Cmnd-single quote if I
remember rightly).  I do it all the time - theres no need at all to remove
quote init.
gi

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:38:39 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1: more problems

Following up on the failure of the Finder to retain colorized menus under
Multifinder, I have hit another problem.

It's possible to create a "menu color table" which an application will
use as default for all its menus, so that you don't have to customize
each one individually. The instructions are in Alley&Strange. But at
one point you have to open the resource editor for the new mctb that
you want to be the default and change its ID number. Every time I try
this on my LC, the screen freezes (cursor and SuperClock continue to
function, but clicking in ResEdit windows has no effect - the text
cursor disappears in the ID number box). I have tried various options:
Multifinder on/off, all inits removed, etc. etc. The LC is running 6.0.7.
The problem seems to involve the LC essentially. When I forced the
creation of a mctb on my IIcx mono system (also running 6.0.7) by changing
the background of a menu to black, I could alter its ID in ResEdit
2.1 with no problem. On the LC, the same freeze occurs if other resource
numbers are changed e.g. if you try to colorize an alert and then change
the ID number of the actb. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?
So far I've tried two color customizations under ResEdit, and am 0 for 2.

Graeme Forbes
Bitnet: PL0BALF@TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 11:46:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Tom Holodnik <tjh+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: ScreenSavers and Network Function?

	I'd heard stories that some screensavers cause the Mac to miss network
interrupts. Is this the case? Can anyone say which screensavers do this?
How might I test this to be sure?

Thanks,
Tom Holodnik
CMU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:37:12 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: sys607 hassle

Since installing system 607 on my IICX I have regularly recieved the
message "sorry system error no coprocessor installed" There *is* a
coprocessoron this machine. Everything checks out fine with norton as
well. Is this a coincidence or am i right in suspecting system 607?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 10:01 CDT
From: SJBUTL@macalstr.edu
Subject: Tape Backups

Howdy!  Can I hook up a 3-M SCSI tape drive to a mac?  I have an old
external HD box to put it in, but what type of software is needed?
Better yet, if I just plug-n-play, what type of damage am I risking?

Thanks for any help!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 10:56 PST
From: <CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The last word on Hypercard 2.0 and Virtual 2.0

In two recent messages, I referred to an interaction between Hypercard
2.0 and Virtual 2.0, which is published by Connectix. This bug caused
Hypercard to corrupt the resource fork of any stack it compressed or
copied, if a page fault occurred in the process.

This interaction occurs with Virtual 2.00, but NOT with Virtual 2.04,
which dates from a month ago. I never received any updates after 2.00, so
if you are running Hypercard 2.0 under Virtual, I would suggest you contact
Connectix and request that they send you the current version.

Another benefit of Virtual 2.04 is that it now contains the
ability to defragment your free space, so that it no longer
requires a third-party defragment utility for that purpose.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:19:49 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: to all those who replied to me.

Thanks to all who answered the .Z question.  To those of you who did answer,
but didn't know where to find an un-compresser for the mac, and were forced
to (*gasp*) do it on an IBM and transfer, MacCompress in the archives does
a very nice job indeed.  It's in the Util directory.

On another topic: Has anyone noticed that Resedit documents do *not* keep
their proper icons?  (ie the reg. doc icon with a resedit inside)  I tried
looking at my copy of resedit's bndl resource, but it looks fine, no mistakes.
I find it very wierd.

C. Jones | UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca | 14 Strathmere Place, Guelph, ON. N1H 5L8 |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:42 EST
From: <23184116%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Your help wanted !!

This is an annoucement for an Apple supported research project.  Ron Cole and
his group at the Oregon Graduate Institute are building a system that will
recognize speech over a telephone line.  In order for this system to work
reliably he needs lots of data from real speakers.

                     LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

The Oregon Graduate Institute Speech Recognition Laboratory has begun
a project in telephone speech recognition.  We need as many people as
possible to call our computer, and allow us to record their voice over
the telephone.

The system will ask you to say and spell your first and last names, and say
what city and state you grew up in.  If you are uncomfortable giving your own
name, any name will do.  The entire call takes about a minute and a half.  The
number is;

                        1-800-441-1037
If you have any comments about the system after calling, you may send them to
the address below.

Thanks for your help.

Ronald A. Cole
cole@cse.ogc.edu