info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The Moderators) (03/06/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  5 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 56

Today's Topics:

      [*] Bootman.hqx
      [*] font-to-nfnt-10b3.hqx
      [*] MacAPL
      [*] skim-digest.c
      A question about FullWrite Professional 1.1.
      Communications Front-End
      De-Binarying(?) BinHex files & assorted comments
      Disk Catalog Software?
      Download  from Mac to IBM capatiable  Computers
      HD PROBLEM- HELP NEEDED
      IIfx Sound
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #55; random color desktops
      Inquiry about Relational Objex
      Kermit archive problems
      Lists etc.
      Mac/IBM hardware
      MacBinary
      Math Libraries in C
      Morse Code Simulator???
      NCSA Telnet
      NCSA Telnet with FTP Client (BYU Version)
      On or Off? (from digest 9-54)
      Organizational Solution - Icon views
      ResEdit 2.1 Bug on the Mac LC
      RODIME DRIVER NEW VERSION
      ScreenSavers and Network Function?
      Search for PlantKingdom stack
      System 6.0.7
      System 7.0 Query
      tape backup summary soon

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 19:06 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ@sask.usask.ca
Subject: [*] Bootman.hqx

        This file is a free-ware utility that allows you to
modify the boot blocks on any startup volume.  It lets you
set the System heap size, max number of open files, and max
number of items in the event queue.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/bootman.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 05:23:53 -0600
From: "Erik A. Johnson" <johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] font-to-nfnt-10b3.hqx

FONT->NFNT 1.0b3 (2/17/91)        ( (c)1991 Erik A. Johnson)

FONT->NFNT is a Freeware utility designed to convert FONT resources in a file
to NFNT resources with the identical resource ID and name, deleting the
original FONT resources.  It can also do the more general conversion from
any one type of resource to another type.

Included in this archive is:
  1.  This "FONT->NFNT Readme" document you are reading.
  2.  FONT->NFNT application.
  3.  A "FONT->NFNT f" folder containing the source code
      (THINK C project and source code, and the code resource file).
  4.  A text document describing some of the in's and out's of FONDs,
      FONTs, and NFNTs.

This utility has only been thoroughly tested on an SE/30 running System
Software 6.0.5, though it SHOULD run on any Mac from Mac+ and up.  If you
find it doesn't work on your system, drop me a note and let me know what
happens -- if I can, I will try to fix it.

I give no guarantees, explicit or implied, on the function of this utility,
and take no liability for any damage to hardware or software.

I would appreciate any comments, positive or negative, on this utility,
especially on this Beta version from anyone with system configurations
different from mine.

NOTE:  FONT->NFNT 1.0b3 has only one change since 1.0b2 -- 1.0b2 was compiled
       (on my SE/30) assumming the existence of a 68020 or greater CPU and of
       an FPU, and thus will not run on a Plus, SE, Classic, etc. with 68000
       CPUs.  1.0b3 has corrected this.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best of luck.

Erik A. Johnson
AmericaOnline:  ErikAJ

[Archived as /info-mac/util/font-to-nfnt-10b3.hqx; 85K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 13:31:39 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: [*] MacAPL

I retrieved this file from 128.146.8.61, a site in Ohio.  I haven't seen any
APL interpreters here on sumex, and believe it's absence to be shocking.
(It's a great language, really!!)
Also included in this archive, because it was in the original archive,
is a desktop customizer.  (ie, it customizes the LAYO resource in the finder
file.)  it does so graphically, on a model window, so you can see how your
changes look as you do them.  Very nifty.
The APL program has a nice editor builtin, so no fooling with line-by-line
editing (messy!) is nescessary.  Haven't yet seen whether color (as in ibm
versions of apl) is supported.  I do know that you get a crack at the toolbox
(by a function which lets you call machine language routines) so I suppose
anything is possible by that route.
Any troubles with the archive, let me know.

C. Jones | UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca | 14 Strathmere Place, Guelph, ON. N1H 5L8 |

P.S. if anyone knows of a version of APL for the mac that *compiles* rather
than interprets, please let me know.  (and especially if it's shareware)

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mac-apl.hqx; 242K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 03:00:17 CST
From: 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason)
Subject: [*] skim-digest.c

/* skim-digest.c
 * version 1.0, 28 Feb 91, by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.
 *
 * Purpose: To read only selected articles from the Info-Mac digests.
 *
 * How to use: Compile this C source code with your favorite C compiler
 *   on your favorite unix host:
 *
 *   % cc skim-digest.c -O -o skim
 *
 *   Go out and download a digest from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  Run skim:
 *
 *   % skim digest50 digest51 digest49
 *
 *   It should be fairly straightforward from there.  When skim finds an
 *   article in the digest, it will ask you if you want to read it.  Type
 *   and read it.  Skim's key commands are similar to the "less" and
 *   "more" text readers; the biggest difference is that Skim only
 *   recognizes a few keys (in other words, fancy-shmancy stuff like
 *   grepping through the digest is not supported [yet]).  Once you choose
 *   to read an article, it will pause every screenfull of lines.  Hit
 *   the current digest, or just hit <return> to continue reading.
 *
 * Lastly: I'm curious if anyone else out there besides me will use this;
 *   If you do, drop me a line at 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu.  I'm putting
 *   this out into the public domain, so go ahead and submit any revisions
 *   to sumex.
 */

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/skim-digest.txt; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 20:51:37 -0600
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: A question about FullWrite Professional 1.1.

I have a question regarding FullWrite Professional 1.1 for the Macintosh.

I created a file that is 46K in length and consists of 10 short chapters.
When I originally created it, I was able to work with it at this length, but
a few days ago when I tried to open it again, I got an "application out of
memory" error, and FullWrite quit.

At first I thought that the footer of the file was corrupted, so I recovered
the file from my hard disk, and found that when I tried to open the 32K of un-
formatted text that I was able to recover, the same thing happened again! So I
tried to open the text file with another word processor (MS Word 4.0) and found
that it opened it, no trouble.  So my question is: what gives?  Will FullWrite
do this all the time?  If so, I could be very disappointed.  I'm a writer, and
so I'll frequently be creating files even longer than this, and if this always
happens, I'll be very disappointed--this was the first-ever doc I'd created
with FullWrite, and this had to happen!

For the record, I'm using an Apple Macintosh SE with 2.5 M of memory, system
6.0.6, the matching Finder, and have a 20 M hard drive.  I have rebuilt the
desktop, recovered the file, and done 20 or 30 other things that usually allow
me to recover "dead" files.  I'm running FullWrite under Multifinder with a
1,512K partition (I thought that perhaps the 1134K partition was the problem).
I've tried it under unifinder, where I've been able to give it all of the
1,992K that I have free for finder, and it still does this.

Please respond directly to me, if you will;  I don't have the time to read
all that comes through.  If there's a good fix, I'll post.

-doug
     internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
   CompuServe:  70511,552

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 09:56:57 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Communications Front-End

>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
Carl Steinhilber writes
>I'm trying to build a simplistic front-end for communication with a
>particular BBS ...

Carl, I'm not an expert on telecommunications, by any means, but I've looked
at enough of it to know that you probably DON'T want to embark on this
project in HyperCard, SuperCard, or even BASIC.  I would doubt that
either of the first two are fast enought to handle serial port input at
any decent baud rate - can't say for sure with BASIC, maybe a compiled
version.

Writing either an XMODEM or YMODEM protocol isn't something you're going
to knock out in a weekend either, although maybe the System 7.0
Communications Toolbox will help here - I haven't looked into it very much.

I think the bottom line is you'll be better off with an existing
Telecommunications package.  One that allows scripting, for example
White Knight or MicroPhone, should permit you to set up a simplistic
front-end without making that simplistic front-end your life's work.

Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions, not my employer's.
+ Jerry Wilcox -- ISCJCW@UCCVMA.ucop.edu -- phone: (415)987-0516 +

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 8:33:56 EST
From: JMUELLER@usc.pppl.gov (JIM MUELLER, MACSHAMAN)
Subject: De-Binarying(?) BinHex files & assorted comments

Hello again, Digesters.
Today I pose a question that, while brainwracking to me, probably has a
trivial solution. I have downloaded a few BinHexed files recently where
for some reason (probably me neglecting to unset Binary FTP) they arrived
as a single string with no returns. Both StuffitClassic and BinHex4 gave
an error and refused to un-BinHex them. Yes, I know, I could just
FTP them again as ASCII, but what if the files had been removed in the
meantime? You see, it's the principal of the thing.
Now, how can I restore the returns to these run-on files? I tried search
& replace in McSink, but there's nothing to look for. Can I use McSink or
MacWrite II, Word 4, WriteNow 2, WordPerfect 1.05 (yes, some suckers actually
HAVE TO use this dog), HyperCard (I tried to write a script. HaHaHa.),Excel,
ResEdit 2.1, or anything in the Archives to do this and if so, how?
Nextly.
A month or so ago, some kind soul posted the new UltraPaint modules, which
I downloaded. I can now no longer find the one to select which modules to
load, assuming it was in the package. I can no longer locate the modules
in the Archive either. Am I blind, or just deaf & dumb? Help?
The archive @ um-mts.cc.umich.edu has LOTS of PostScript fonts, many of which
are Type 1. There does not appear to be much activity in the InfoMac font
section, so I don't know whether to leave sleeping fonts lie, or to move
some of the more intresting faces to InfoMac. Opinions are welcome, especially
>From the hard-worked moderators who will have to sift through the stuff
I send anyway.
Lastly, I would like to thank all those fine programmers who have given us
all those fine useful INITs and CDEVs without which my 2,436K System would
not be possible, and certainly not as enjoyable.

Jim Mueller
.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 22:26 EST
From: Rhoadent King <G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu>
Subject: Disk Catalog Software?

Hello there...

I am presently trying to organize all the files that I have on all my floppy
disks and hard disk.  What I need to know, is which Disk Cataloging software to
use...I have heard that there are plenty of them out on the market, but has
anyone had good experiences with one in particular?

If so, could you please suggest it to me?

Thanks, Gordon Werner

G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu / G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 11:59:48 PST
From: Mona_Robinson.McLean__CSD@xerox.com, Xerox.McLean_CSD@xerox.com
Subject: Download  from Mac to IBM capatiable  Computers

Need  a few questions answered before purchasing Mac Classic.  I   plan to
purchase a Software Package which has been written and programmed on  a
Macintosh Computer.  My problem is I have an  IBM capatiable system.  Is there
any way for me to  convert the program so that it can be used on my system?
Can  I  download this program  from The MAC to a Xerox or IBM Computer ?
 If so,  how do I do this and what do I need ?Thanks

Mona

------------------------------

Date: 05 MAR 91 08:30:11 CDT
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HD PROBLEM- HELP NEEDED

Greetings From Nacogdoches--
Here's the problem--when an external HD is connected, the MAC wont boot.
When the external HD is disconnected, it boots fine from the internal HD
or the floppy.
When booting from the floppy, both the internal and external HD show
and work fine.
Mac SE with internal APple HD40; various other external HD.
We've tried zapping the PRAM, and reinstalling the System (twice).
Anyone have a suggestion ???  Please respond directly to RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN
I'll pass the solutions along to the list.
THANKS--

RON RUSHING <rrushing@sfaustin.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 10:56:00 PST
From: smith@whistler.sfu.ca (Richard Smith)
Subject: IIfx Sound

I find the sound on my fx is bad too, but not always. I suspect some
combo of inits but haven't bothered to check too hard.

...r

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 04:20:33 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #55; random color desktops

In V9 #55, G_WERNER@acc.haverford.edu writes:
>I do have an INIT called DESKPICT which will place a picture (in full 256
>colors) on the desktop, but this program will / can only show one picture
>instead of the random ones that the B&W DA did on my old Mac SE.

I use Deskpict in combination with the init Randomizer.  Randomizer will allow
you to configure it so that it copies a random file from a specific folder and
renames it to the name you specify, and puts it in the folder you specify.

So, I have a folder called "Screens", and Randomizer randomly picks one of the
25 or so 8-bit desktop-sized images in there and copies it to the file
"deskpicture" in my System folder.  Ta-da!

A quick look didn't reveal Randomizer in the archives.  If it's really not
there, I'll be glad to email it and/or send it to sumex.

--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 13:16-0500
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>
Subject: Inquiry about Relational Objex

Does anyone out there have any experience with the drawing program
Relational Objex from SoftStream?  Is it suitable for drawing trees,
graphs and logical maps?  Is there a way for it to import data about a
set of objects and how they are connected?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 14:08:09 EST
From: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: Kermit archive problems

sumex-aim.stanford.edu Info-mac/Unix Moderator:

   I just uuedecoded, uncompressed and untarred the "KERMIT.tar.Z.uue" file in
the Info-mac/unix directory of "sumex-aim.stanford.edu".  I don't know who gave
you this archive or where it was gotten from, but who ever archived it did not
do a very good job.  The "kermit.tar.z" file did not end in an uppercase 'Z'
and would not uncompress until I renamed it.  (True, this is not all that much
of a problem, but read on, it getts better.)  Then when I untarred it, the
enclosed documentation ("read.me" files) referred to the code as being in
separate directories for separate platforms (MS DOS, VMS, Unix) and some that
are in an incomplete state (the WAIT directory).  (Why anyone in their right
mind would include incomplete software for distribution I am not sure!!!!)

   But alas and alack, all of the directory information is lost!!!  The files
are not separated in directories, they are in one directory.  I don't know
which files belong to what platform, and if all the pieces are there.  There
may have been pieces of the code for different platforms that over wrote each
other!!!

   So much for the old college try.  I would like to get a copy of this and
hope that this little piece of hate mail to the correct person will get a
correctly archived copy on the net!!!

--Patrick Hoepfner
--NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
--AOL: PatrickH9

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 13:31:45 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Lists etc.

I'm a real novice when it comes to listserves etc, but I'd like to know
first how I can subscribe to other listserves, and if there is a list
of them such that I could see which ones I'd like to see. Is there a list
of mac-only lists? Where could I get them? Please mail me directly, thanks.

D.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 22:26:48 -0800
From: Tim Suh <tim@ocf.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Mac/IBM hardware

In a recent infomac, there was some discussion about being able to use
IBM SIMM's in a Mac. I was wondering what other hardware is "compatible".
For instance, what's the difference between an IBM 3.5" 1.4 meg floppy
and one for a Mac? I've seen sony HD drives for an IBM for $69. What needs
to be done to make this just plug into a mac?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 14:40:40 EST
From: mperry@sydvm1.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: MacBinary

Thanks to all who replied to my query about MacBinary. I have obtained
a copy now and it works fine. I didn't look in the info-mac/comm
directory because I don't use my Mac for communications! I thought the
program would be in the util directory with StuffIT, MacCompress, etc.
It pays to look around though, eh?!

One problem : the MacBinary translator for StuffIT Classic doesn't work-
the person who up-loaded the files told me that Aladdin is working on a
fix - has this been released? Does this feature work in your copy Murph?
(My mail to Murph bounced with an "unrecognised user" message)
Mark.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 14:35:56 -0500
From: emery@me.msu.edu
Subject: Math Libraries in C

I am looking for math libraries written in ANSI C (I would like to get the
source code).  My main need is some type of linear equation solver.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 18:44:22 PST
From: Scott_McLagan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Morse Code Simulator???

**Morse Code Simulator?**

One of my students is doing a Thomas Edison project and would like to
do a Morse Code demo. I seem to remember reading about a simple
Morse Code simulator/generator. Have you heard of it?

Thanks,

Scott McLagan
NBSN@mtsg.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 7:55:39 MST
From: Mike Peralta <mperalta@huachuca-emh8.army.mil>
Subject: NCSA Telnet

I would just like to give thanks to all those who replied to my request for
information regarding a version of NCSA Telnet implementing both an FTP client
and server. I was informed that BYU has developed extensions for NCSA Telnet
that do just this. It is available via anonymous ftp from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu
(128.174.20.50). The pathname is NCSA_Telnet/contributions/BYU_TELNET. Please
note that this software is not supported.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 10:23:19 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet with FTP Client (BYU Version)

This is available via ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  I forget the
directory, but it's called something like "contributed" or "unsupported"
because NCSA doesn't support the BYU hack for FTP client.
-- Joshua Yeidel

------------------------------

Date: Mon Mar  4 12:29:20 EST 1991
From: ehorvath@attmail.com
Subject: On or Off? (from digest 9-54)

FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:

> I just read in MacWorld that "[...] generating electricity to keep 20% of
> all computers in the USA on for a year would result in emissions of over 9.5
> million tons of carbon dioxide: that's equivalent to driving 36 million
> miles at 28 miles per gallon."

Let's see if I believe this.  The last time I saw statistics, there were
around 50 Million PCs in this country, so this statistic suggests that keeping
one PC on for a year generates about 0.95 tons of CO2, the equivalent of
driving 3.6 miles.

If I believe the 3.6 mile figure, I have to yawn: one PC-year equates to one
round-trip to the 7-11.

If I believe that driving 3.6 miles generates 0.95 tons of CO2, that means the
28 miles I get from each gallon generates about 7.4 tons of CO2.  The carbon
portion of that CO2 tonnage is roughly 12/44, or about 2 tons.  So: where did
the gallon of gas manage to hide 2 tons of carbon?  Something wrong here...

Pulling out my handy envelope, to work on the back of, I see that my Mac II
plus 13" monitor consume a max of 390 watts, about half a horsepower.  That
cruising car uses maybe 100 times that, say 50hp, at 50mph.  So running the
MacII for a year is like running the car for maybe 88 hours (3.65 days), or
4400 miles.  That's within shouting distance of the 3600 miles the original
posting would have reported if the figure were 36 BILLION, not million, miles.

NOW I believe I should turn off the Mac when it's not in use...as well as
minimize trips to the 7-11...

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 22:46:06 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Organizational Solution - Icon views

To organize your files in either small or large icon views in either alphabetic
order or size order or by kind or whatever, these instructions should help:

  In the finder, open the window you want to be organized. View it by whatever
  order you want it, i.e. size, alphabetical, date, colour, whatever.

  Once it is all set up, do Cmd-A to select all of them and drag them all
  to the desktop, being careful not to drag them to any other disks that may
  be on it. After a while, all your zillion file icons will be displayed
  vertically up and down your screen with slight overlap.

  Now comes the fun part. Select the now-empty window, and choose the view you
  would like, be it by small icon (my favourite) or icon.

  Select all those icons you put on the desktop using the click-drag-lasoo box
  approach and ensure that they are all highlighted.

  Go to the file menu and select 'Put Away' and your files will be placed in
  your folder in whatever order you selected, from left to right, top to bottom

  There! You're done! Now wasn't that easy?

  D. Bylsma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 09:21:39 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1 Bug on the Mac LC

There have recently been a couple of problems reported with ResEdit 2.1
and the Macintosh LC. This is indeed a bug in ResEdit that only seems
to manifest itself when running on the Macintosh LC. The problem is that
the "Get Resource Info" command runs into the void when it tries to change
the resource ID of a resource that is not loaded. The perfect workaround is
- as it has already been pointed out - to first double-click the resource
in order to load it and open it and then to use the "Get Resource Info"
command to change the resource ID.
The ResEdit engineering team at Apple is aware of this bug and it will be
fixed in the next version.
Best regards,
 L  exander
  F alk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 10:39:42 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: RODIME DRIVER NEW VERSION

I read that Rodime has released a new driver for its drives a month or
two ago. I have a couple of Rodime Harddisks, but the local distributor
has gone bust. Please, can someone send me the new driver? I think this
is perfectly legal as the driver can't be used on any other drive except
Rodime's.

Thanks. Help much appreciated. Please send to isstth@nusvm.bitnet.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 11:54 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: ScreenSavers and Network Function?

I have noticed network problems with at least two versions of Pyro, 4.x
and whatever was before that.  For examply, loading a Cayman Gatorbox took
several minutes, over ten if Pyro was actually 'saving' the sceen, and less
than a minute if the cursor was placed in the 'disable' corner.  I don't
know if the root of this behavior was 'missed network interrupts', but
Pyro collided with the network in this case.  I have not noticed similar
behaviour with After Dark, but then I have not made any attempt to actually
test it.

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 11:58:48 +0100
From: Guy LOUIS <LOUIS%BUCLLN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Search for PlantKingdom stack

Hello,

I remember seeing a few years ago a HyperCard stack, talking about plants.
The name of the archive was PLANTKINGDOM.SIT.

Does anybody have it? Or another similar stack?

Could you please post it to the archives or send me a binhexed copy?

Thanks

Guy LOUIS
( LOUIS @ BUCLLN11.BITNET
  louis @ slig.ucl.ac.be )

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 16:37:31 EST
From: Mike Flynn <FLYNNM%DUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 6.0.7

     in another attempt, to see what I don't know about the mac. Could anyone
tell me why gatekeeper is giving me a message about the application trying to
change a resource in the system file. the resourse is DRVR, 2 that is the DRVR
for printers. and oddly enough the only time I get this message is when I run
monofinder, and an application that has the ability to print. Games run fine,
but word and other real application can cause the system to crash if I try to
use the chooser, page setup, or print commands. I have an SE/30, system 6.0.7,
the gatekeeper init, sum partition, suitcase, facade, goo panel init, and heap
fixer in the system folder. and none of these problem seem to exist when I run
multifinder.
                                              - Flynnm@dumv.ocs.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 7:16:53 CST
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System 7.0 Query

Howdy. Just read in MacWEEK that Apple has scheduled a May 13 release date for
System 7.0 - barring major bugs in the 'final' beta sent to developers. The
article also mentioned that Apple will have two upgrade kits - the 'individual'
upgrade, for users with only one Mac, and the 'multiple' upgrade for networks.
The upgrades will be available from dealers on May 13 (if...), but Apple will
NOT be uploading the new System to online services as it has in the past. The
price for upgrading to the 'individual' upgrade kit will be somewhere between
$50-$100, while there is no price set yet on the 'multiple' upgrade kit, which
will only be available on CD-ROM. Now, the upgrade will contain a HyperCard 2.0
stack which, among other things, will check your hard drive(s) for any INITs,
cdevs, APPLs, etc., known to not be System 7.0-compatable. You also receive
ninety days of free, unlimited phone support. Not bad.
My question, then, is this: Does anyone know the full scoop on the two upgrade
kits. Will everyone who doesn't get System 7.0 with a new Mac have to BUY the
upgrade (ala MicroSoft)? What are the differences between the two kits, other
than the distribution media - if you have a network of Macs, must you buy a
CD-ROM drive to upgrade, or will Apple require you to purchase one upgrade per
Mac - or does the 'individual' upgrade not install some of the networking
features? Will the new system be on AppleLink, or via FTP from APPLE.COM, if
not on America Online/Compu$erve/etc.? (OK, I said question, not questionS,
but hey, it all boils down to "What is Apple doing with System 7.0"?

Since I'm sure many here on the net would be interested in the info, if it is
official information, please post it to INFO-MAC. If it is rumour, heresay, or
gossip, you can send it to me if you must. If there is anything good, maybe
I'll post a summary. But please, just the facts. We've all (OK, not all. There
are some out on the net who have Beta 7.0) been waiting so long for System 7.0
to solidify from vapor that it would be nice to get some real info.

Thanks.

Dave Martin - TAMU/GERG - DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 91 09:41:00 EST
From: "MICHAEL R. ROMAN" <mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: tape backup summary soon

I will post a summary of the responses about Mac network tape backup by next
Monday (3/11). Anyone who wants to have their response included has until then.

Mike Roman          mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 11:16:25 EST
From: Sunil Hazari <CUHAZARI%ECUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Does anyone have acess to a freeware utility called LaserWriter Lockout
which can be used to control access to laser printers on Appletalk
networks.

Thanks,
Sunil Hazari
cuhazari@ecuvm1.bitnet.edu