info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/07/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  6 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 57

Today's Topics:

      [*] CheckList
      [*] OIDS demo
      [*] Sargon Noidz
      [*] think-c-prog-guide10.hqx
      Accelerator Cards-MacPlus
      An Essay on Wasted Disk Space
      Annoying errors
      BinHex in a single string
      encapsulated postscript
      info-mac archives on afs somewhere?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #56
      Internet Interest Lists
      it's not a virus, it's a feature
      Kermit archive problems
      MacBinary
      Macintosh-compatible laptops
      Mac Programming List
      Networking: PCs and Macs on the Ethernet
      Quickmail User group or Listserve
      Quitting Under Multifinder
      Request for a rumor.
      roff to PostScript translators
      SE upgrades
      Tex
      Tidy up feature
      TOPS terminal

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 9:58:59 EST
From: colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella)
Subject: [*] CheckList

Hi, folks.

This file is a shareware application called CheckList, which is used to
scan a PageMaker file to determine fonts used, linked files, etc.  It
should be very handy for anyone who sends PageMaker files to service
bureaus, who usually want to know this sort of information.  The file
is a BinHexed, self-decompressing StuffIt file.

Wayne Colella	colella@emav51.webo.dg.com

[Archived as /info-mac/util/check-list.hqx; 157K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:34 EST
From: Andrew Lewis <LEWIS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] OIDS demo

        This is a demo version of OIDS.  It alternates between
an automated demo sequence and a playable sequence.  OIDS is a
cross between Asteroids, Choplifter, Continuum, and probably
other games also.  The commercial version seems to be a bit
hard to find as yet, but Mac's Place (disclaimer: just a
customer! ;-) ) has it in stock.
--Andrew Lewis, LEWIS@ITHACA

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/oids.hqx; 350K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:44:49 CST
From: squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada)
Subject: [*] Sargon Noidz

	Sargon Noidz is a colorful new game that incorporates arcade action
with chess rules in a game of 'killer-speed chess,' where you try to
dicover the hidden king before the opponents pieces get you. Cute sounds,
and wonderful colors, but not as intelligent as chess. It was ported over
>From the Apple II computers. It is in Stuffit Classic v1.6 Self-Unstuffer
format. My first upload to Sumex-Aim... Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/sargon-noidz.hqx; 210K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:42:18 EST
From: rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez)
Subject: [*] think-c-prog-guide10.hqx

The Think C Programming Guide is a $15 shareware HyperCard stack
which teaches how to use Symantec Corp.'s object-oriented Think
C compiler.  It also serves as an introduction to the basic
features of the C++ language.  It contains examples which may
be pasted directly into source files for compilation.  It does
NOT assume C programming experience.  It does NOT cover Macin-
tosh programming per se, nor how to use the Think Class Library.

The Guide comes with two free libraries of Think C/C++
compatible files.  One library contains classes for creating
3D graphics and animations.  This presently supports portability
>From the Macintosh to IBM PC computers (the latter using
Turbo C++).  The other library is for experimenting with
changeable textual user interfaces, and works on any computer
with a suitable compiler.

-Ralph Gonzalez, rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/think-c-prog-guide.hqx; 309K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 11:56 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: Accelerator Cards-MacPlus

Fellow netters,
I am looking for any information and comments (positive or negative)
regarding accelerator cards for the MacPlus.  I'm considering the purchase of
accelerator cards for a lab of MacPlus machines to run 3D CAD software for
our engineering (we don't anticipate having a budget to outfit a lab with Mac
IIs of some flavour).  I want to make sure we buy the best option at a
reasonable price.  Please answer directly to my internet address and I'll
summarize to the net.  Thanks for your help.
Joy Aberback (JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA)
Microcomputer Coordinator
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, NS, Canada

P.S. Sorry about the blank postings!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 11:03:52 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: An Essay on Wasted Disk Space

David L. Hirschberg <BNHIRSCH@WEIZMANN.BITNET> writes:

> We have a 1 GB wren drive that is connected to a SE/30 server running
> Apple Share.  When a file is saved to the drive the file saved is much
> larger then the file.  It is rounding the size upwards to the nearest
> multiple of 15kb.  For example if a 16kb word document is saved to the
> drive, it lists a file of 30kb.  If the file is saved to a floppy
> disk it assumes its original size.  Is this weird or what?

I noticed something similar with my new 600MB drive (only 100+ MB free!). On a
disk drive, there are sectors which the drive can write on.  These are
typically 512 or 1024 bytes, depending on the drive.  Larger drives tend to
come in 1024 versions.  This is the MINIMUM size of a piece of data that you
can write onto the drive.  Now, the system comes along and it writes two files
onto the drive, the catalog and extents files.  These contain the maps for
which sectors are used and where are all the file segments are.  Next comes a
directory and then all the files scattered all over the disk.  The catalog
seems to be the culprit in this case.  It seems that the system uses its own
"soft sectors" which are possibly different than the hard sectors.  I am
guessing that the catalog is of a fixed size, allowing only N sectors (where N
is a 16 bit integer), so that when you get a larger disk, you get larger soft
sectors.  For example, a floppy has 512 byte sectors, hard and soft.  My 80MB
drive at home has 512K hard sectors, but 1.5K soft sectors.  My 150MB drive
had 3K soft sectors while my 600MB drive has 9K soft sectors.  Your 1 GB drive
has 15K soft sectors.

Now, since the OS can only write chunks equal to the size of a soft sector,
you are wasting mondo space on your large drive.  For example, I have about
500M on my 600M drive and 10% of that is wasted space.  This wasted space is
the difference between the logical file size (i.e. the actual byte count) and
the physical file size (a multiple of the soft sector size).  All files on all
drives waste some space.  In Berkeley Unix they have a special slop file where
they put all the bits that don't quite fill up the last soft sector.  It's
sort of a tailings file designed to eliminate this kind of wasted space.

There really isn't any way to see this wasted space, so I rewrote my ShowSizes
program (an old version of which should be in the archive) to display this.  I
am almost finished with the rewrite and will post it when I am done.  It
displays the used space quite informationally so that you can determine where
your disk is using and wasting space.  My MPW folder is a major culprit in
wasted space.

The only real ways to eliminate this wasted space are: Compress and combine
the files into one larger file; or partition the drive into smaller volumes so
that the soft sectors are smaller.  Neither of these is an optimal solution,
which is why I'm going to live with the waste until I REALLY need that last 50
MB.  I did package up a mess o' files into a StuffIt archive since they were
each about 600 bytes.  When I selected the directory containing these files in
the Finder and did Get Info on it, I was told that they were 60,000 bytes
used, 900K on disk, for 100 files.  That's with a 9K soft sector size.  You
see the waste?

When you copy a file off a large drive, the Finder only copies the logical
file size and puts it into a physical file size appropriate for the
destination drive.  Thus, files shrink back to their original size when copied
off the big drive.  It isn't really a problem.

This doesn't really apply to David's problem since he is running Appleshare,
but when you have a drive this big, the Resource Manager and the Desktop file
will kill you.  The Desktop file grows to such an ungodly size that the
Resource Manager chokes, the Finder dies, and you crash in a nasty way. The
solution is to use the Desktop Manager INIT from Appleshare.  It works fine
and replaces the Desktop file with two other Desktop files, neither of which
uses the Resource Manager.  It is faster and eliminates the nasty wait when
copying files while it "updates the Desktop."  Truly a boring message.

I hope this helps explain the situation...

Jon Pugh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 22:05:12 EST
From: <SMTP@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Annoying errors

To all who can help,
     I'm getting many errors on my Mac SE30.  I'm running on system 6.0.7,
and am getting "Coprocessor not installed" errors.  Also, I'm getting
"Bus errors" and "Illegal command" errors.  They're getting wuite annoying.
This only happened, I believe, after I installed system 6.0.7 on.  I was using
6.0.4 before, but I want to program in Hypercard 2.0.  And I had similar
problems on system 6.0.5.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

George

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 23:23:41 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BinHex in a single string

On Tue, 5 Mar 1991 8:33:56 EST you said:
>trivial solution. I have downloaded a few BinHexed files recently where
>for some reason (probably me neglecting to unset Binary FTP) they arrived
>as a single string with no returns. Both StuffitClassic and BinHex4 gave
>an error and refused to un-BinHex them. Yes, I know, I could just
>FTP them again as ASCII, but what if the files had been removed in the
>meantime? You see, it's the principal of the thing.
>Now, how can I restore the returns to these run-on files? I tried search
>& replace in McSink, but there's nothing to look for. Can I use McSink or

I've been using Vantage for so long, I may misremember just how much of
it is left in McSink, but I think you can:

Settings... (command-Y) under Layout menu to line length of 64.
Word Wrap to Line Length (command-M) under Format menu

That should produce a file consistent with what BinHex decoders expect.
Let me know (I'm curious :-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 15:26:37 PST
From: Geoff Mulligan <mulligan@decwrl.dec.com>
Subject: encapsulated postscript

Is there a printer driver or some other way of creating encapuslated
postscript from within power point?

	geoff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 16:28:37 EST
From: Spencer W. Thomas <spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu>
Subject: info-mac archives on afs somewhere?

Has anybody put (thought about putting) the info-mac archives on an
AFS (Andrew File System) directory somewhere?  This might alleviate
some FTP pressure on sumex, and would certainly make accessing the
archives more convenient for people (such as me) running AFS.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 14:36:08 EST
From: "Y'oughta know by now :-)" <MTOOMEY@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #56

Does anyone have experience with a PC using an AppleTalk PC card on an
AppleShare Network? Also, some prices for said card would be helpful &
last, but not least, is there an Micro Channel Architecture version of
the card?

BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: mtoomey@uga.cc.uga.edu
Usenet: toomey@athena.cs.uga.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 17:21:50 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Internet Interest Lists

A list of interest lists available on the Internet can be obtained
>From NDSUVM1.  CMS users on BITNET-connected machines
can use the interactive command:

   tell listserv at ndsuvm1 get interest $package

Users on other types of BITNET-connected machines should talk to local
net gurus about what the equivalent command might be.

Be aware that the "package" consists of 11 files, about 500K bytes.  Also
no warranty expressed or implied -- this is put together by volunteers.

  -- Joshua Yeidel, Academic Computing Services, Washington State University

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  5 Mar 91 04:50:11 PST
From: portal!cup.portal.com!gort@uunet.uu.net
Subject: it's not a virus, it's a feature

David Hirschberg wrote about probs he was having with a 1 gig Wren
drive. He noticed that the file size seemed abnormally large every
time he saved to the hard idsk, but would return to normal size when
saving to floppies. For example, a file that was 16k on a floppy
would become 30k on the hard drive.

The problem is the size of the drive. The system allocates sectors
for files a group at a time ( a cluster). That is, instead of just
allocating 1 sector, writing it, then allocating another, th system
will allocate 10 or 20 or whatever sectors at a time, write to those,
and then allocate another group when it needs it. The problem is that
the number of sectors allocated at a time rises in direct proportion
to the size of the disk. With your 1 gig disk, it appears that it's
allocating 15k at a time! (Try writing a 1 character file and see if
it doesn't end up being 15k on disk).

I believe the solution is to partition the drive using something like
Silverserver into a number of smaller partitions. As the partitions
become smaller, so will the minimum allocation size for files.

As for the damaged resource forks ( but the programs run fine), they
are probably not really damaged. Some programs (Reflex comes to mind)
always show up as having damaged resource forks. They are just doing
something nonstandard with resources, and resedit and other progs
don't know what to make of it. (Notice the cautious wording of
Disinfectant, "resource fork _may_ be damaged"). I wouldn't
worry about it if the progs show no unusual behavior.

Hope this helps.
                     gort@cup.portal.com

PS. Don't use soft-sectoring, like SUM and several others do.
    It's not real partitioning, it just stores all the files
    in one "partition" into one file, which the "partitioning" init
    keeps track of. Lose that file and you lose the partition.
    Silverserver uses hard-partitions, that is it writes partitioning
    information to the boot blocks and partition blocks of the disk.
    Lots safer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 23:37:54 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit archive problems

On Mon, 4 Mar 91 14:08:09 EST you said:
>whoever archived it did not
>do a very good job.  The "kermit.tar.z" file did not end in an uppercase 'Z'

As a rule its MUCH better to ftp any kind of kermit file from the original
distributor - Watsun.CC.Columbia.EDU

I say "as a rule" because the version of MacKermit at sumex appears to
be a beta version which is more recent that the one available from Columbia.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 23:44:51 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacBinary

On Tue, 5 Mar 91 14:40:40 EST you said:
>One problem : the MacBinary translator for StuffIT Classic doesn't work-
>the person who up-loaded the files told me that Aladdin is working on a

Rats! :-(

>fix - has this been released? Does this feature work in your copy Murph?

You can ask Aladding Tech Support: 75016.325@Compuserve.Com

I haven't had need of it (sorry, I have it but haven't tested it).

>(My mail to Murph bounced with an "unrecognised user" message)
                                             ~! :-)

Nasty computer doesn't accept "almost spelled right" :-(

    Try sewAll@UConnVM (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 10:26:49 EST
From: John Black <DGK105%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintosh-compatible laptops

I need a Macintosh-compatible laptop: does anyone have any
experience with the "Outback" Mac clone? Are there any other
Mac-compatible laptops out there, either available already
or soon to be available? Anything coming from Apple?

Note that this unit is to replace a Mac Portable, which has
proven capable enough, but is highly lap-incompatible.

John Black

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 12:53:45 EST
From: Bill Brandt <WBRANDT@cms.cc.wayne.edu>
Subject: Mac Programming List

  I've heard of several Macintosh programming LISTSERVs but have no idea
how to join them or even where they're located. Since I'm going to be doing
a ton of in-house development soon, I'd appreciate it if someone could point
me in the right direction. If you know of any lists devoted specifically to
Macintosh programming then please send info about them to:
  WBRANDT@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU
Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 09:28:10 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Networking: PCs and Macs on the Ethernet

I've recently posted an inquiry for solutions to the following problem:
How to get 5 IBM PCs (and compatibles) running DOS and having an Western
Digital Ethernet Card installed to print to an Apple LaserWriter that is
connected with 3 Macs via LocalTalk. I received a lot of replies to this
inquiry and there seem to be a couple of solutions, which I'd like to
mention here. But first let me tell you what I found out NOT to work:

  Apparently the only Ethernet Card supported by AppleShare PC is the
  3COM Etherlink II card. And even with this card it is NOT possible to
  run TCP/IP software (such as Telnet) and AppleShare PC at the same
  time! The result is that because of a lack of software to drive this
  card we have to buy additional hardware - THIS IS REALLY STUPID!!!!
  And one has to blame both Western Digital and Apple for this: Apple
  for not providing a version of AppleShare PC that can coexist with
  NCSA Telnet and use the same card. Western Digital for not providing
  an ODI-compliant driver which is needed to run AppleShare PC on their
  card.

But here are the solutions that seem to be working:

  1) Install a LocalTalk PC card in every PC and use AppleShare PC to
  talk to a LaserWriter (and possibly also to an AppleShare file server)
  via LocalTalk. The Ethernet card is used with NCSA Telnet to connect
  to other hosts and do file transfers via FTP. Thus every PC is connected
  to two networks, whereas the Macs are only connected to LocalTalk and
  use a GatorBox to hook up to the Ethernet and thus use TCP/IP services.
  This is the solution we have chosen, because with only 5 PCs this is
  cheaper than all other solutions.

  2) Get a 3COM Server that hooks up to both the LocalTalk and Ethernet
  networks. This gives you the added benefit of getting a file server, too.
  But it is rather expensive for small networks. In a large net it is of
  course cheaper than buying an additional card for every PC.

  3) I also heard that Farallon is supposedly working on a solution, but
  so far I haven't been able to find out specific details.

Comments anyone?

   L  exander
    F alk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 14:41:22 EST
From: "Adriene L. Nazaretian" <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Quickmail User group or Listserve

We are considering the startup of a listserve or users group for
Quickmail.

If there is a group or mailing list that is not run by CE software
for Quickmail, please let me know as we do not want to duplicate efforts.

If you are using Quickmail and are interested in joining a list if we start
one, please send mail to ADRIENE@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU

We are looking to share experiences in using and administering   Quickmail.

-Thanks
Adriene Nazaretian
Yale University
Distributed computing support services

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 10:46:33 CST
From: Eric Oberle <C09615EO%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Quitting Under Multifinder

I am posting this for a friend who does not have access to the internet.
Please send all responses to c09615eo@wuvmd.wustl.edu and I will summarize the
returns to the net.

Hello,

Multifinder 6.0 and later versions support opening documents and quiting
applications from the Finder when Restart/Shutdown is selected.  According to
the tech notes, when the user attempts to double click on a document create by
an application already in memory, it activates the application then "tricks" it
into thinking the user selected the Open... command from the file menu.  The
same idea is true for choosing Restart/Shutdown
If you called your Open command something other than "Open..." (say Open
Document...) or your Quit command something like "Quit Hypercard", Multifinder
will not "find" the command it's loking for and these features will not work
unless you include special 'mstr' resources (same as 'str' resources but of the
type 'mstr') which tell MF which menu to look in and what command to invoke.
In a program I'm writing, the Open feature works okay, but it won't Quit
properly from the Finder. My Open and Quit commands have the standard "Open..."
and "Quit" names and are contained in the "File" menu so it should not have a
problem faking the menu selection.   Does anyone know of any other unwritten
rules which need to be followed to get this to work?  I thought that maybe the
code that the program uses in quitting must be contained in code segment 0 but
that does not seem to make any difference.  Note that it won't quit properly
even if include the 'mstr' resources in my application's resource fork  (they
should not be needed anyway.)
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?
Thank you for your help.

Eric Oberle c09615eo@wuvmd.wustl.edu    for Michael Hanrahan.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 91 13:49 +0200
From: Alejandro Rivero <rivero@cc.unizar.es>
Subject: Request for a rumor.

Return-Receipt-To: Alejandro Rivero <rivero@cc.unizar.es>

I'm not suscribed to the list, so I don't know if this has been asked before.

Are there any clue about what is Apple going to do with the Acorn RISC?

(see Microbytes february 1991, page 28)

Could it be finally the Alan Kay gadget? Active Book, the co. that Larry
names in the article, is going to do a Pen (and/or finger) based notebook
with remote database access. Then I suposse there are some development
on reconigtion soft, etc for this chip. Well, if it is, the ask is:
When? Before or After than PenPoint el al?

Alejandro Rivero
Zaragoza - Spain

==0
Please send (a copy of the) answers to me, Im not suscribed to Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 09:02 EST
From: FNELSON%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: roff to PostScript translators

I have a large number of documents from a unix environment that I would
like to translate to PostScript format.  On the unix systems I used
various programs like nroff, troff, and ditroff to format and print
these documents.  Now that I use the Mac for most of my writing I
want to port my unix work into this new environment.  A translator
that would produce PostScript files would be helpful but one that
produces files for Word 4.0 or MacWrite would be ideal.

Gary Lee Nelson, TIMARA Program, Oberlin College

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  5 Mar 91 10:45:37 -0500 (EST)
From: David Stephen Gillen <dg2y+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: SE upgrades

I have one of the older Mac SE computers and I am interested in
upgrading it to a 68030 and math coprocessor.

Does anybody know of or have experience with any companies that provide
these kind of upgrades?

Please respond directly to me at dg2y@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks in advance
Dave Gillen
Carnegie Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 6 Mar 1991 08:14:11 EST
From: m21743@mwvm.mitre.org (Kenneth Falkenstein)
Subject: Tex

Hi folks,
         A while back, I made a request about LaTex on the Mac. Since then
I've received many requests as to what exactly it is. Problem is, I don't
know. I was asking for a friend. Could some kind soul make a posting here
descibing some key points of OzTex and if/why one would prefer it over
something like MSWord.   Thanks
*
*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 11:39:05 EST
From: Craig Macfarlane <cmacfarl@bbn.com>
Subject: Tidy up feature

Here is a useful thing I discovered one day for organizing stuff in folders.

1.  Adjust the folder's window to the size you want.
2.  Select View by Name or Kind.
3.  Select All (in the folder).
4.  Drag the icons, as a group, onto the folder's icon.
5.  Select View by icon and watch it resort.

The above procedure has the effect of sorting your icons by name, kind, or
size into the window size of your choice.

Try sorting the icons in your system folder by kind.  All the CDEVs are
together as are the INITs, System docs, and printer files.

Have fun,
Craig

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 15:27 NZST
From: CHRIS BOWMAN <SRAACCB@gfv.dsir.govt.nz>
Subject: TOPS terminal

We have a TOPS network running here connecting Mac's, PC's and a Sun
network.  This works fine for file sharing but it would be nice to be
able to remotely login to the Suns from either the Mac's or the PC's
(a la PCNFS).  TOPS did have a package called TOPS terminal to do this
but I believe it is now in the public domain (possibly associated with
Oregon University).

Does anyone know how I can get a copy?  Will it work for both PC's and
Mac's?  Is this the best way to go?

Our TOPS network runs predominantly on ethernet with a few localtalk
connections.

Chris Bowman
DSIR, Industrial Development
New Zealand

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  5 MAR 91 17:02:08 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu

Calling MacHackers everywhere ...

 ... I have a small problem with an application that I am developing
at the moment. The problem arises when the application is running in
the background (just waitNextEvent() no processing) and the user
chooses shutdown in the finder (or restart). The shutdown does not
proceed and I get an alert that says "an application other than the
finder could not be closed). My application does have a File menu
with a Quit item (and the command-Q key-equivalent). In IM V there
is a chapter on the shutDown manager, but when I try installing a
shutDown procedure nothing appears to have changed until, after
manually closing my application one tries to ShutDown. Then the finder
calls my installed shutDownProc (which just happens to do an ExitToShell() ),
result ??? One Mac that cannot be shut down from the finder... Neat Huh ??
  There is also mention of the shutdown manager in Mac Revealed vol.4
but this says that the system sends a "Quit" event to your application.
This does not appear to be the case for me. Could anyone who has
successfully produced an application (in Think C v4.0) which will die in
the background on shutdown please let me know what the secret is ....

Rob Scoffin SCOFFIN@UK.AC.OX.VAX

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 11:52:46 -0500
From: news@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.digest
Subject: 800K floppy replacement
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 16:52:12 GMT

	The 800K floppy drive on my Mac II has died (when a disk was
put in, it made a terrible screeching noise and has not been able to
read a disk since).  I am amazed at the prices being asked to
replace the disk on an exchange basis ($190 and up).  MacWarehouse
has offered me a replacement Fujitsu drive for $99 - will this drive
work as a replacement internal drive in my MacII?

	A 1.4 Meg drive for an IBM-PC costs about $85. Superdrives
cost from $230 up for the Mac.  Can any one recommend a reasonably
priced 800K or 1.4 Meg replacement (I have the MacII Superdrive upgrade,
so I can use either drive)?

	Can these drives be repaired?

Bill Pearson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 11:30:18 EST
From: jer@rsch.oclc.org (John E. Ray)

Hello,

    Yesterday I got ahold of a Hewlet Packard LaserJet Plus printer, and would
like to hook it up to my Mac.   I called the company, and they said that it was
possible, but since the memory of the printer was limited to 512k, I wouldn't be
able to print very elaborate images.  Since I only wanted it for printing letters,
this doesn't seem to be a problem.  They also said I would need something to
convert quickdraw to PCL or PLC (I don't remember which)...and then they mentioned
a program called MacPrint.... Has anyone used this program, or used the LaserJet Plus
with a Macintosh?  If so, please leave me mail as soon as possible...

Thank you,
John Ray

Internet: jer@rsch.oclc.org

End of Info-Mac Digest