info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/08/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  7 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 58

Today's Topics:

      [*] Alan Porter's BiPlane 2.0a Spreadsheet
      [*] DigSim 2.8
      [*] Open-Wide INIT 1.3.sea.hqx
      [*] Speed Beep 2.0.sea.hqx
      68030 accelerators for Mac+ and SE: some experiences
      800K drive replacement
      A4 monitor and SE/30
      Apple Cyrillic
      appletalk mail programs ...
      binary files
      Dead ADB ports
      EtherTalk v2.0 software from Apple
      Experience with Canon Bubblejet printer ?
      Grammar checkers
      HD problems
      HDs
      init dilemma solved!
      Keyboards.
      Mac II motherboard problems
      Madonna icon
      Matlab for macintosh (info needed)
      Multiple Active Windows
      NCSA Telnet 2.4 Mac ?
      On or Off?
      Organizational Solution - Icon views
      Oztex
      PICT to PostScript
      Reference books for Hypertalk scripting using Hypercard 2.02
      Resedit 2.something to install font/fond into a file
      Right to Left systems
      screensaver
      SE's and Printers and Icons
      Software for 5-6 Year Olds?
      Stuffit/Compactor
      SuperStacks
      The MacClassic Keyboard!!
      USENET

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 91 08:34:59 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Alan Porter's BiPlane 2.0a Spreadsheet

This is Alan Porter's BiPlane 2.0a (2/91) spreadsheet (shareware version -
$59 USA, $69 Canada/Mexico, $79 outside N. America, Visa or MasterCard
accepted).

If you occasionally need to put together a table (and perhaps some
simple graphs) but don't want to break for the big bucks for Excel
or Wingz (for example).  Then BiPlane's the spreadsheet for you.
BiPlane does nearly all the things the expensive programs do
with the exception of macros.  How likely are you to need a
spreadsheet you can program (are macros really worth the extra
$$$)?

[Archived as /info-mac/app/biplane-20a.hqx; 145K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 23:05:22 EST
From: pem@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au (Peter E. Middleton)
Subject: [*] DigSim 2.8

        Seeing the recent interest in DigSim here is version 2.8

regards
        peter

[Archived as /info-mac/app/digsim-28.hqx; 42K
             /info-mac/app/digsim-28-ram-monitor.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 02:33:14 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Subject: [*] Open-Wide INIT 1.3.sea.hqx

Here is the latest version of the Open-Wide INIT.  It overrides the standard
file dialog so that whenever you go to open or save something, all file
names should fit in the dialog window.  Otherwise, thanks to apple, you
normally don't get to see long file names in the window.  Pretty neat huh?
Downloaded from America Online... this is a BinHex-ed self extracting
Compactor archive.   Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/init/open-wide-13.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 02:41:58 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Subject: [*] Speed Beep 2.0.sea.hqx

Here is a control panel/init that takes switching beeps a step further!
It will randomize your beeps but you can assign beeps a weight (chances
likely that it will play) so that your favorites will come up often and those
long ones not so likely.  You can turn on/off which beeps you want to be
considered.  Here's the nice part... if you have system 6.0.7 and an Apple
Sound Chip installed (I believe SE/30 and up or stereo capable Macs???)
you can have multiple sounds play so that the beep doesn't tie up what you're
doing, hence the name.  You can also specify maximum number of multiple
beeps.  Supposedly works with system 7.0.  Downloaded from America Online.
This is a BinHex-ed self extracting Compact Pro archive.  Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/speed-beep-20.hqx; 72K]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 91 17:10:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.eeel.nist.gov>
Subject: 68030 accelerators for Mac+ and SE: some experiences

There was a recent request on infomac for news on 68030 upgrades for the Mac+
and SE. I am happy to report that there is such an upgrade for both machines.
I have 3 Mac+'s that have been upgraded with Novy Systems "Quick 30" boards.
I use them at 25 mhz with an 030 and 882 floating point chip and 80 nsec memory.
The system performs to within +-5% of Mac II ci speed. I am *extremely* pleased
with this product. They make the same board for the SE, which I have used but
do not own. Performance is the same. The system is solid and reliable and will
blow the doors off an se/30. This is the CHEAPEST way to upgrade that creaky
old plus.

Possible drawbacks: (1) Old 128K roms. These systems may NOT run system 7; it
is too soon to tell, (2) small screen, (3) You have to solder the damn thing
onto the Mac+ motherboard, although Novy will do this for you (I have done it
and don't recommend it. Send them the board and let them do it. SE installation
is just a plug in.), (4) SCSI speed is about the same as Mac+ and markedly slow
compared to SE/30 or IIci. However, the supply a very good disc caching system
that partially compensates for this.

Disclaimer: I DO beta-test for these guys, but I don't get money or price breaks
for it. I just like the product. They are at (904) 427-2358.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 17:57:44 GMT
From: wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson)
Subject: 800K drive replacement

	The 800K floppy drive on my MacII has died (when I put a disk
in, it made a terrible screeching sound, and was unable to read any disk
thereafter).  I am amazed at the prices Apple dealers are asking for
an exchange - $190 and up.  MacWarehouse offers a Fujitsu drive for $99;
can this be used to replace my internal drive?  Are there other reasonably
priced alternatives (a 1.4 Mbyte drive for an IBM-PC costs about $85,
>From Apple it is > $250)?

	Does anyone fix these drives for a reasonable cost?

Bill Pearson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 09:06:25 +0000
From: LJOB1%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: A4 monitor and SE/30

Dear fellow-Mackers,

I'd like to interface an Apple "Portrait Display" A4 monitor with a
Macintosh SE/30. Apparently the SE/30 doesn't have the necessary
video hardware. Any ideas (3rd party video adapters, other monitors,
etc.) on how to get around this? If there's enough response, I'll
summarize to the net. Many thanks in advance!

                             keep on macking,

Jan M.L. Martin, PhD --- Bitnet: LJOB1@BDILUC01

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 12:49:04 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple Cyrillic

Have Apple released their font layout for the Cyrillic operating system
yet? If anyone knows about this, PLEASE mail me as soon as you possibly
can. Cnacu6o!

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  7 Mar 91 12:06:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Braddock John Hathaway <bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: appletalk mail programs ...

Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
besides microsoft mail?  Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics
in my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the
sender) and have it shown when the mail message is read by the
recipient.

With Microsoft mail, it is necessary to paste the picture into a
file and include the file in a mail message ... but this requires
the user to have an application open that can read the document.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but ...

Thanks,

Brad
(bh11@andrew.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 15:05 U
From: <R9506049%TWNTUCC1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: binary files

Deal netter:
   I had got a binary file called Binhex4.bin, and I use Apple's file exchange
to put it into my Mac, But when I double click it's icon, the message appeared
is "missing application", that is it doesn't work, it is not an executable
application.
   Do I need another tools to let it work ? How can I do ? If aanyperson can
help me to solve the problem or send me an executable Binhex4.0, please
mail directly to me, I will appreciate what you give me,
Thanks in advance.

shyeyuan
E-mail address : r9506049@twntucc1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6 Mar 91 17:09:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Braddock John Hathaway <bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Dead ADB ports

trying to replace a bad ADB chip/fuse (?) ... since the only other option
is to replace my Mac II's motherboard anyway.  What I need is the name/#
of the chip and it's location on the mac II (no x, cx, ci, ...) motherboard.

The events leading me to ask the question are below:

I turned my mac on for the first time in two days and got a dialogue box
telling me that my finder was broken (please reboot and reinstall).

I rebooted and suddenly the hard disk was not recognized.  So I opened up
the box and played around with the wires to the hard disk (a 145MB Micropolis).

This worked (mostly), so the next time I booted from a floppy, the hard disk
was recognized, but the ADB ports were not responding to any stimulus (even
after changing the port on the back that the keyboard was connected to and
trying the mouse in both ports).

If anyone has ever seen this before, please send me a note.  If you haven't
seen this before, send me a note anyway.  I'm not looking forward to having
my motherboard replaced :^(((

--Brad

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 13:03:16 EST
From: Alex_Sirota@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: EtherTalk v2.0 software from Apple

I would like to know if anyone on the net knows about a v2.0 of the
EtherTalk software for the Mac. The //fx requires this version of the
EtherTalk software to mount IFS servers here at University of Michigan.
Is there a site where this software can be FTP'd from or can we get it
>From Apple. Thanks in advance

Alex Sirota
University of Michigan
Computer Consultant

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 13:57:00 EST
From: gcampbell@a.darpa.mil
Subject: Experience with Canon Bubblejet printer ?

Does anyone have experience with the Canon Bubbleject BJ10e printer ?
Are the drivers readily available and compatible with the Mac IIx?
What kind of cables does it come with to connect to a Mac IIx ?

Reply direct to:   gcampbell@a.darpa.mil
or to Info-Mac.

Thanks,
Greg Campbell
DARPA / MIS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 07:35:30 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Grammar checkers

>From what I've read before, existing grammer checkers and proof readers
are, to say the least, somewhat limited in value.  However, of the following,
are any more or less limited (opinions encouraged).

MacProof 3.2.1 (why is it twice as expensive as the others, is it really
                better or is it merely attempting to create an aura?)
Grammatik Mac 2.0
Correct Grammar 2.0
RightWriter Mac
Sensible Grammar

(did I miss any?)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 08:02:45 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: HD problems

Our friend from Nacogdoches had difficulty booting an external HD- I sometimes
forget to make sure the SCSI ID #s are different. Also, use a SCSI manipulation
program to mount the HDs sometimes helps-Pete
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 22:10:06 EST
From: Dieder Bylsma <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: HDs

Got a question for all you nettfolk (as others call us):

I have a nice wonderful Seagate 32 Hard-drive. Works great, little complaint
except with CMS and their horribly noisy fan. The noisy fan part has been
solved, but now with the drive being open ventilated (i.e. no external case)
I can now hear a most *ANNOYING* screach from this drive. Screach being a
cyclical squeak that comes and goes as it will and when it isn't there, it is
pleasant not to hear. But when it is there, it seems the only thing I seem to
be able to do to correct it, is to apply vertical leverage, i.e. hold the
actual drive unit and pull up on its rather securely screwed on lid, whereupon
it (the squeak) goes away. Doesn't seem to do much harm, but the squeak is
ever so irritating. Anything going wrong with this thingee? Mail me directly.

Thanks,

D.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 11:00 EST
From: "Life. Boy, what a hoot!" <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: init dilemma solved!

Netfolk,

	A while back I asked you good people what the solution was to my
query about my screen being wiped after a series of inits then hanging
then refreshing again, then completing the boot-up phase.  I received
57 replies to this message.  Out of all of those responses, none were
correct.  The answer to the init dilemma was to remove Appleshare.  It
was using the same path as one other init, SuitCase II.  As you may recall
the place where I'd get a screen wipe would be at the 'S' stage of the inits,
seeing as how inits load alphabetically.  To all of you who answered my question
thank you very much for your time and effort.  Ok so how did I discover it ?
Init tracker.  A friend of mine needed an extra storage device last week,
and I told him about my little quarks with my portable HD, and SE/30.  He
dropped what he was doing, ran init tracker and Viola!  Discovered that
appleshare was the problem of my dreams and that I should rid myself of
the offensive beasty.  I did.  End of tale.  Next mac problem !

Thanks to all of you.

Randy English.

"Life is short..." (can anyone complete this qoute ?)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 19:55:20 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Keyboards.

Reagrding the comments from someone about Classic keyboards.

I dont like the Mac Keyboards for a couple of reasons.  The biggest has to be
the fact that the cursor key are next to each other instead of the
"normal" way.  The extended (non-apple) key board is cheaper by far.  I
paid 188$ and apple's is something like 250$.  Apple has people hooked because
unlike the SE's used to be, you can't opt not to buy the Apple key board.
So if you want an extended one you have to put your classic's keyboard in the
closet.

I like the extended keyboard for the keys right above the cursor keys--page
up, down, home, end, del (right) and help.  Some of the programs support them,
hopefully more will.  Help is especially helpful in MS Word.  I also find the
size of the space bar on the Apple key board annoying--its too small.

Also, the extended keyboard isn't really all that much bigger--and I got
Tempo II thrown in for free!!

Flame away!!

Keep on Mac'in.  (but with ext. Key boards)

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 21:10:36 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac II motherboard problems

Someone I know has a MacII which will often shut itself offfor not reason other
than being touched. It is a Mac in a training lab. Sometimes it will hold up
OK in a 3 hour class, but then act up in the afternoon class. A repair person
blames the motherboard. I have noted comments favorable to a II to IIfx up-
grade. Since a IIfx is not needed, how about a cheaper upgrade? Also, does any-
one have a reason to believe it is not a motherboard problem? Thanks-Pete

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 20:34:17 EST
From: PETE TAMAS <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Madonna icon

Anyone know where I can get a Madonna icon (for use in facade, etc.)-Pete

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 00:23:36 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Matlab for macintosh (info needed)

Hi, I hope someone out there can help.  I use the matrix-based language
MATLAB on the minicomputer here on campus.  The on-line documentation
mentions a Macintosh version, but I haven't been able to get any info
about it.  The company the makes it (or used to make it anyway) is
MathWorks (based in Mass.).  Unfortunately, the on-line address is
out of date, and the local computer folks haven't been any help, so...

1.  Does anyone have any experience with the mac version of Matlab?
2.  Do you know how I can contact the makers of this product?

Please contact me with any leads at all.  Thanks bunches,

Kirke B. Lawton       lawk@uorvm  (bitnet)      Kirke  (AOL)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 13:42:02 PST
From: Andy_Trice@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Multiple Active Windows

Does anybody know of a utility or add-on for the Mac that allows you to
have multiple windows active simultaneously?  I'm trying to develop a
system that will allow two people in a room to edit two different
documents at the same time, using different monitors and keyboards but
ONLY one CPU).  It's desirable for me to use a single CPU for the system
because I want the users to be able to readily move their work from the
"individual" monitors to a third, large "group" monitor for comparison.  On
Macs with multiple monitors, it is easy to move windows from one
monitor to another, but it is not standard to have multiple windows active
at once.

Will anything short of an entirely different multiuser operating system do
the job here?  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Trice, Faculty of Commerce, UBC

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6 Mar 91 18:50:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Clemens <rc10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet 2.4 Mac ?

What is the proper name for the configuration file and where is it suppose to be
located so NCSA Telnet 2.4 for the Mac can find it at startup?

Rich Clemens
WV Wesleyan College
Buckhannon, WV

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 22:20:49 EST
From: fry@zariski.harvard.edu (David Fry)
Subject: On or Off?

FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:

> I just read in MacWorld that "[...] generating electricity to keep 20% of
> all computers in the USA on for a year would result in emissions of over 9.5
> million tons of carbon dioxide: that's equivalent to driving 36 million
> miles at 28 miles per gallon."

I haven't seen the MacWorld in question and I can't comment on the
truth this figure, but I think a little perspective is necessary.
The World Alamanc says that Americans drive 2,025,586,000,000 miles
per year, so this 36 million figure represents less than 1/56,000th
of nation's driving mileage.  Certainly American's don't all get 28
miles to the gallon, but the order of magnitude is still accurate.

Clearly our mere computers aren't having a large impact.

David Fry                              fry@math.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 17:15:22 EST
From: dave@prc.unisys.com
Subject: Organizational Solution - Icon views

No, that was hard.  THIS is easy:

Open the folder you want to organize.  Move windows around a bit so
that you can see BOTH the open folder AND its greyed-out icon.

View the open folder by whatever view gives the order you want.

Do a Select All (or Clover-A) to select all the files.

Move them from the open folder to the greyed-out icon of the same folder.

--

This is very similar to the approach Bylsma suggested, but you never
have to actually move any files out of your folder onto the desktop or

PS: If your favorite view is By Icon, make the open folder about 3/4
of an icon narrower than you want the finished result, because the
Finder always screws up and puts icons too near the right edge of the
window.  (WHY has Apple never fixed this?)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 13:21:54 GMT
From: MBSFPAW%CMS.Manchester-Computing-Centre.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Oztex

This message is aimed at all Latex aware people.

Even if the Macintosh is a wonderfull machine that in my opinion
nothing can outclass, I still have to recognise the remaining of
the world. So, if Word4, Nissus and the like, combined with Quarks
express or Pagemaker provide a perfect solution of DTP, the rest
of the professional world still uses Latex.

Let me confirm to you that Latex and Tex are more than horrible to
use and inconvenient. However, I can forsee that I will be needing
such an incinvenient program for my macintosh, if I am to continue
to use it alongside other systems used by others, that all recognise
Latex (Not least publishers and printers...)

I was therefore very keen to hear about a shareware that did just the
trick. (oztex)

But were is it? The European copy of the archives do not seem
to hold a copy, despite holding copies of artworks etc...that have long
been removed from the sumex-aim archives by fear of offending people, or
breaching copyright laws...

Anybody able to shed some light on this? or bring another piece
of news on the subject?

Yours,
Independently,
With all the appropriate disclaimer,
This is my opinion and certainly not the one of the Manchester Computing
Center !!!

Alain Waha

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 17:01:20 EST
From: Lee Silverman <ST101137@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: PICT to PostScript

I am looking for a utility to turn PICT files (Like those of SuperPaint
and Canvas, which are a mixture of Objects and Bitmaps) into postscript
text files that can be ported to other machines.  Is there such a utility?

Please respond via e-mail, since I'm no longer a regular subscriber!
Lee Silverman
ST101137@ Brownvm       ST101137@Brownvm.Brown.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 9:31 GMT
From: RJC6@vaxa.york.ac.uk
Subject: Reference books for Hypertalk scripting using Hypercard 2.02

Could anyone recommend a good Hypertalk reference for Hypercard 2 ?
I have Dan Shafer's book for Hypercard 1.x but I need an update that
covers the new Hypertalk extensions.
Also, a second question. Anyone know of a way to use Prolog with Hypercard?
Thanks in advance for suggestions. I will summarise recommendations.
Cheers,
Richard Cox
Psychology Dept, York University, UK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 20:37:28 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Resedit 2.something to install font/fond into a file

I wanted to have a font become available to an application when I was using
that particular file. Specifically, I had created a Hungarian font & I wanted
this font to be usable as I moved around with the file to another Mac. So, I
copied a copy of the font into a new file with Font/DA mover. Then, I opened
this font file & the document file w/ Resedit & copied the resources into the
file. However, when I loaded the file (MS Word), the font did not load. Any
suggestions? Thanks-Pete

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 08:05:48 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Right to Left systems

I wish to write a right-to-left font. Does this require modifying an existing
R-to-L system? I am willing to do so. How does one go about getting one? Thru
the nets? Thanks-Pete

Date: Thu,  7 Mar 91 08:42:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Leslie Burkholder <lb0q+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: screensaver

Can anyone help Stephen? Thanks, Leslie Burkholder

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 16:52:24 GMT
>From: Stephen Read <slr@st-andrews.ac.uk>
To: Leslie Burkholder <@PO2.ANDREW.CMU.edu:LB0Q+@ANDREW.CMU.edu>

I have a screensaver for my Macintosh called Macsbug. It is a Startup
document, created by Paul E Musselman in 1986-87. It seems to work
perfectly on a MacPlus and MacClassic. But it does not function on
an SE/30. During booting, there is a System Error caused by a bus
error. At first, I thought the problem might be caused by a clash
of inits. But I'm pretty sure now that this is not the cause.
The way the screen saver works is to place a moving analogue
clock  on the blackened screen after a few minutes.
Do you know if this software is public domain, or shareware, or
whatever? Do you know if there is a version suitable for the SE/30?
Or do you know of any other screen saver which does the same thing? -
viz, put a clock on the screen (I find this very useful during tutorials!)
I have other screen savers, many more impressive, but none as useful
as this one. Moire works all right, but the clock disappears when the
screen blanks out.
Stephen Read

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 18:38:12 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: SE's and Printers and Icons

Three items:

1)  Has anyone had a probelm with Finder Sounds giving scratchy
sounds?  I have an SE with 2.5 mb ram and I get scratchy sounds
>From it.  I run multifinder.  I brought it in to Apple, and they
replaced the speaker and logic board, but nothing.  Has anyone
else had this problem?  I write to the creator of Finder
Sounds--he thought it might be the speaker--but it wasn't.  Any
help?

2)  I have a DeskWriter and an ImagewriterI.  What's the best way
to hook both up so I don't have to constantly unhook one?  Is a
simple A/B box the best way?  This is for home, neither printer
is on a network.

3)  Just a curious question.  Why do the Icons of some games and
other things look like diamonds, and then change into a regular
Icon after some undetermined time?  When I look into my games
folder, programs schange overnight to regular icons.  How come?

Please direct responses to me.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Keep on Mac'in.

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 07:55:58 CST
From: Daniel J. Florian <dflorian@lajes.safb.af.mil>
Subject: Software for 5-6 Year Olds?

Hello Net,
I have a 5 year old that can spend 2-3 hours at a time on my SE.  She
is starting to get board of Reader Rabbit and Kids Time.  Does anyone
know of any other programs that would keep her interested?  Thanks in
advance.  Send replies to:

dflorian@lajes.safb.af.mil

Dan Florian
Scott AFB IL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 17:46:59 EST
From: Dieder Bylsma <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Stuffit/Compactor

Anybody know if there are any cms/vm modules that convert stuffit archives
into macbinary5 files? failing that, macbin.hqx files? same applies for
compactor. Any info would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 13:56 EST
From: Kenny <KFREUNDLICH@lucy.wellesley.edu>
Subject: SuperStacks

This month's Macworld has an article naming the winners of their
SuperStacks contest.  Some of the winning stacks are available in the
Macworld Resource Center area on America Online.

Would someone who has access to America Online consider getting some
of these stacks and uploading them to this archive?

Thanks.

Kenny Freundlich
Academic Computing
Wellesley College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 09:19:04 AST
From: daniel@nstn.ns.ca (Daniel MacKay)
Subject: The MacClassic Keyboard!!

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

[raves about Classic Keyboard]

>Other than the
>fact that is "Mushy",

It's worse than just mushy; it's one of the worst keyboards to touchtype
on I've ever used - the Commodore PET's Chicklet keyboard was worse.  I've
only had my Classic for a few months; maybe I'll get used to it.  You're
right about the layout, though.  Now if they could just replace the damn
switches!

-dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 12:35 EST
From: MAC PHREAK! <IRC_JP@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: USENET

Hello Netters,

I have another question for you. I am interested in the USENET discussions
especially Comp.Sys.Mac Does anyone out there know how to get these through
INTERNET. Please respond directly to me. As usual I'll post on the net if
there's enough internest.

Thanks a lot!

Juan A. Pons    INTERNET JPons@Jack.ClarkU.Edu          BITNET JPons@ClarkU

End of Info-Mac Digest