info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/09/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  8 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 59

Today's Topics:

      [*] Compression summary
      [*] How to build PhoneNet connectors
      [*] Nisus bug registry
      [*] PropFactory HC Stack, creates curriculum proposals.
      [*] Turing 1.0
      Announcing Dutch Speech Program For Mac
      Apple Portrait Display tuning
      Asynchronous callback routine in MPW C 3.1?
      Big Files, Low quota
      Fonts in a Word document
      Games?
      Hard Disk Protection Software
      HD PROBLEM- HELP NEEDED
      How to build your own Macintosh by Brant Associates
      LaserJet drivers
      Mac Becomes Secure Workstation
      New Listserv List for Discussion of QuickMail
      OZTEX
      OzTeX network availability
      PICT to Postscript
      Screen depth (summary)
      Un-(Stuff/compact/doubling/compressing)
      User of SUM II, help!
      Webster MultiPort Gateway Info

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 11:27:32 EST
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Compression summary

C. Jones asked about file compression/decompression.  Please find enclosed a
text file covering compression/decompression software for a number of
different operating systems.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/file-compression.txt; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 91 16:38:24 CST
From: squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada)
Subject: [*] How to build PhoneNet connectors

	The following is a text file describing how to build cheap PhoneNet
connectors for connecting Macs to other Macs or Mac peripherals. I found
this in November, and built two connectors over Winter Break at
Northwestern Unviersity for about $12. They work flawlessly to the best of
my knowledge.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/phone-net-connectors.txt; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 91 11:43 -0800
From: Rick Sutcliffe <faith!Rick_Sutcliffe@cs.sfu.ca>
Subject: [*] Nisus bug registry

           Nisus bug registry
Some weeks ago, I posted a message on Compuserve offering to maintain a NISUS
bugs registry.  I offered a couple of my own, and asked for contributions.  As
traffic has now died down, it is time to post the results.

 Here's how it will work:
1. The NISUS bug registy will accept bug reports only on the current version
(now 3.05)
2. Bugs must be documented with an example.
3. Mail the information to me on Compuserve 76475,3406, or to
rick_sutcliffe@twu.ca
4. I will create a summary file and post it here and to the internet archives.
The file will be updated periodically as I get additional reports.
5. I will forward a copy of each new version to Paragon.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/nisus-bugs.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 91 17:29
From: <IOCONNOR%SUNRISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] PropFactory HC Stack, creates curriculum proposals.

Enclosed please find Prop-Factory, a HyperCard stack written by
Tony Anello for educators writing curriculum proposals.  Tony is
a high school teacher in Liverpool, NY, and he asked me to put
this on the 'net, as he has no access.  It is free so far as I
know.

Please e-mail me with bug reports/commentsuggestions.

Keep on Mac'in!

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE  (bitnet)

[Archived as /info-mac/card/prop-factory.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 09:00:48 EST
From: laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Fyock)
Subject: [*] Turing 1.0

Turing 1.0 is a Turing machine simulator, intended to be used
by college-level computer science students.

The program's model consists of a two-way finite tape and
a finite state table.  The user may set breakpoints, single-step
through states, and modify the tape and state table.

Turing 1.0 is shareware, $20.  Substantial discounts and site
licenses are available to educational institutions.

Please email any bug reports and/or enhancement suggestions to

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

[Archived as /info-mac/app/turing.hqx; 57K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 00:19:57 +0100
From: reinoud@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (R. Lamberts)
Subject: Announcing Dutch Speech Program For Mac

Dear all,

A Dutch speech program for the Macintosh, called 'Babbel' (Dutch
for 'chatter'), is available now. This program is an attempt to
make the Mac speak Dutch from text, the text either being
entered interactively or read from a text file. The user
interface is implemented as a standard Mac editor, with a few
extensions for this specific purpose. Babbel is free for
noncommercial use.

Babbel is intended for educational purposes. Babbel was
developed for use by a physically disabled and mute person, so
the user interface was deliberately kept simple: with the use of
a macro program (like MacroMaker) the program can easily be
configured for operation with the use of only one finger. By
default, a large font is chosen for the editor, and keystrokes
give audible feedback by vocalizing the letter that is being
typed.

The quality of speech from Babbel is limited by the MacinTalk
speech generator used. MacinTalk features only American
phonemes, and the mapping of Dutch phonemes on American phonemes
is necessarily a bit crude. Also, the conversion of text to
phonemes is imperfect. Nevertheless, the Dutch speech is quite
intelligible, comparable to the usual MacinTalk performance on
English.

The reason that I wrote Babbel is that Dutch speech systems are
*very* hard to find, and that the existing (limited) systems are
outrageously expensive. Babbel requires only the smallest Mac
configuration, without additional hardware or software costs.
So, Babbel may be an interesting alternative to people who can't
afford the other systems available. One young mute person, with
very little physical ability for expression, is already using
Babbel intensively and quickly developing more language ability
than seemed possible before.

I'm not posting Babbel on the net or to any archives right now,
because I don't expect much interest in it. If you want a copy,
please contact me, and I will be glad to mail it to you.

- Reinoud

email: reinoud@duteca.et.tudelft.nl

Reinoud Lamberts
Grabijnhof 27
2625 LM Delft
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:15 MET
From: TAALFILOSOFIE - 080-512949 <HSCHOTEL%KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Apple Portrait Display tuning

5 months ago I purchased an SI with an $1100 Apple Portrait Display.
The lit area of my SCREEN is NOT RECTANGULAR.
I am really disappointed with the service people at Apple.

Not only have several of their attemps to tune the monitor, left
me with a screen that still tapers at the top, they seem unwilling to
provide me with a new monitor.
I would like to hear from anyone who has a similar monitor problem,
or anyone who has a solution. Thank you. - Henk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 19:50:36 PST
From: "William J. Lipa" <lipa@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Asynchronous callback routine in MPW C 3.1?

I am having a lot of trouble porting a Sound Manager package to MPW C 3.1.
The routines work correctly under Think C 4.0.2 and gcc 1.37, as far as I
know. Has anyone got a callback routine to work with this compiler? All I
need to do is put the channel pointer into a global array of pointers that
will get disposed of the next time through the event loop.

My callback routine follows, in the hope that I'm making some obvious
blunder.

pascal void soundCompletion(channel, command)
SndChannelPtr channel;
SndCommand *command;
{
	tblong myA5;
	int i;

	if (command->param1 == kSoundComplete)
	{
		myA5 = SetA5(command->param2);

   /* Go through the table until empty entry is found or run off the end. */
		for (i = 0; i < kMaxPendingDisposes; i++)
		{
			if (!pgDisposeMe[i])
			{
				pgDisposeMe[i] = channel;
				pgNeedDispose = true;
				break;
			}
		}
		if (i >= kMaxPendingDisposes)	/* no empty entry */
			pgInterruptError = true;
		myA5 = SetA5(myA5);
	}
}

The exact symptom is that very often the routine can't find an empty element
in the pgDisposeMe array (which is declared volatile), sometimes even
when only one sound has been played. It then sets the pgInterruptError
flag to true and subsequently I catch the error.

All advice appreciated! I need to use an array of channels waiting to be
disposed instead of a simple flag because I can have multiple sounds running
at once under the new 6.0.7 Sound Manager. But if anyone has gotten
any sort of sound completion routine to work under MPW C, I would very
much like to see it.

Bill
PS. I explicitly intialize each element of pgDisposeMe to 0 to be sure.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 91 10:32 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Big Files, Low quota

If you have low quota you can load files from sumex with BITFTP at PUCC.
(BITFTP@PUCC.bitnet) This service segments any files it load into messages
of 50kb.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 16:41:17 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fonts in a Word document

The problem is that Microsoft Word does apperently not open the resource
fork of its documents and thus the FONT resource cannot be found by the
system, because the file is not in the resource chain. I'm afraid that
there is no solution to this problem, except using SuitCase II and opening
the FONT/DA Mover file temporarily on the machine you are working on.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 11:56:52 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Games?

Has anyone come across these games for the Mac ?
1. Xerion
2. Dragon's Lair
3. SpaceAce
4. new versions of SpaceQuest and King's Quest
5. Thexder
6. Windwalker (or any other new games from Origins)

I am calling from Singapore and would like to know what mailorder
house carries these games. I have seen the catalogs of MacWareHouse,
MacZone, MacAvenue, MacConnection, MacProducts, Mac's Place... listed
in MacWorld, but none of these carries the above games.

I have heard of EggHead but don't have their fax number. Can some kind
soul please post the fax number to me?

Please reply to isstth@nusvm. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  8 Mar 91 11:20 EST
From: VAX Academic Support <COLMENARES%FORDMURH.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Protection Software

Hi!

I've been asked to evaluate disk protection software. In particular
the software should:

        a - allow users to launch applications (preferably without the
            use of a "dummy" document created by the application).

        b - prevent anyone from storing information on the hard disk.

        c - prevent anyone from copying, erasing and modifying software
            applications.

        d - prevent modifications to the system folder. (I realize some
            applications modify the system folder, but I'd like a package
            that will not allow anyone to store his/her own inits, etc.
            into the folder.)

        e - prevent modifications to the Control Panel (Is this tied in with
            the system folder (see item d above)? If so, excuse my ignorance.)

        f - provide a password so that casual users cannot lock/unlock the
            hard disk.

Has anyone had experience with such software packages?  Can you recommend one
that contains all or most of the features above?

Many thanks in advance.

Josephine Colmenares
Fordham University
colmenares@fordmurh via BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri 8 Mar 91 10:28:45-PST
From: Mike McNeil BBN 224-3240 <MCNEIL@tecr.nosc.mil> (619)
Subject: HD PROBLEM- HELP NEEDED

Try checking your SCSI addresses, depending on the type of drive
they may be hardware switches or software switches.  Internal HD
are usually set to 0.  If they are s/w switches your HD installer/
formatter should have that function, Silverlining fomr LaCie does.

Make sure you have correct termination, correct termination is not
necessarily the same for all systems.  Your internal drive should
be terminated and require no other changes.  Your external drive
should also be terminated (but maybe not). Like SCSI addresses
termination can be internal or external.  25 pin drives (referring
to the number of pins in the SCSI cable) are generally terminated
internally.  50 pin drives are generally terminated externally.
Having said that, be assured the exception is the rule. Try to
divine that information from your manual.

For external termination, it doesn't matter where you put the
terminator, in-line with the cable or on the open SCSI socket.
I quote from various sources "...Termination is a trial and error
process...."

Good Luck
_____^_____
    0-0
    (_)+

p.s.  A terminator is a small device that has male & female SCSI
connectors and doesn't look like it does anything useful. You may
have gotten one with your HD and you may not have.  They are generally
gray in color (black for IIfx) and about 3 in x 1 in.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 20:08 CST
From: CABRALES@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Subject: How to build your own Macintosh by Brant Associates

Does anybody know if the book and other material that the company
Brant Associates from Portland, OREGON is worth to buy it. If not
which book do you recommend for assembling my own MAC. Thanks
E. J. Cabrales

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 20:21:42 EST
From: Dieder Bylsma <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: LaserJet drivers

Does anybody have a copy of the most recent version of the LaserJet drivers ???
Do they function properly on a LaserJet linked up with Appleshare?

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 10:50:23 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Mac Becomes Secure Workstation

Reprinted without permission from Government Computer News, 4 Mar 91.

Mac Becomes Secure Workstation

BY DARRYL K. TAFT
GCN Staff
   SecureWareInc. has attained both a B1 rating and the more secure
compartmented-mode workstation certification for its CMW+ system software
running on a Macintosh.
   The ratings were issued after a three-year evaluation by a team of
representatives of the National Computer Security Center (NCSC) and Defense
Intelligence Agency. The DIA dubbed the software/Macintosh combination a
compartmented mode workstation because of its enhanced multilevel security
features.
   CMW+ combines multilevel operating system security with the X Window System
and the Open Software Foundation's OSF/Motif graphical user interface, all
running on A/UX, Apple Computer Inc.'s version of Unix. Apple's Federal
Systems Group in Reston, Va., cooperated with SecureWare, an Atlanta company,
on development of CMW+.
   NCSC, part of the National Security Agency, certified Secureware's CMW+ at
the B1 level and has placed the product on its Evaluated Products List of
secure products, Cynthia Berecek, an NSA spokeswoman, said.
   "The CMW+ has received a B1 rating and also been certified as a CMW by DIA,
but it has not yet been published on the Trusted Computing Base Extensions
list," said a DIA official. The official spoke on condition of anonymity.
   In early 1988, the DIA awarded five contracts for development of a
multilevel secure workstation with features exceeding B1 requirements. This
workstation was to be known as a compartmented-mode workstation, or CMW.
SecureWare's CMW+ is the first to gain certification, DIA officials said. The
other contracts went to Digital Equipment Corp., Harris Corp., IBM Corp. and
Sun Microsystems Inc.
   Initially, the DIA and Mitre Corp. of Bedford, Mass., specified the CMW for
use in the DOD Intelligence Information System, said Michael C. McChesney,
SecureWare's chief executive officer.
   While the CMW+ meets the DIA's DODIIS requirements, it also stands ready
for existing and future systems calling for multilevel secure technology,
McChesney said. Many of the Macintoshes going to the DOD's Worldwide Military
Command and Control System (WWMCCS) likely will use CMW technology, he said.
   DOD required CMW compatibility for the WWMCCS Information System (WIS).
HFSI Inc. (formerly Honeywell Federal Systems Inc.), McLean, Va., won that
contract, supplying secure Macintoshes as WIS workstations. SecureWare
developed the secure version of A/UX for WIS, McChesney said.
   Many other procurements call for CMW or "CMW-like functionality," McChesney
said. The Air Force, looking to automate the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has begun
the Joint Staff Automation for the '908 procurement, he said. That
procurement, also known as AFCAC 303, specifies two kinds of workstations, one
of them a CMW. The Army's Reserve Component Automation System asks for a CMW-
like workstation, as do some Navy procurements, he said.
   "SecureWare has done an outstanding job in ensuring that A/UX can run in a
secure environment. The implications of this are tremendous. Now Macintosh
personal computers can be placed in critical areas of the government and used
for processing classified and sensitive information," said Greg Shuk, director
of Apple's Federal Systems Group.
   The CMW+ has been designed to maintain backward compatibility with both
A/UX and the X Window protocol. Existing A/UX and X Window applications run
without recompilation on the CMW+, company officials said.
   The CMW+ runs on a Macintosh IIx. SecureWare's next step will be to port it
to the Macintosh IIfx, McChesney said, adding: "We intend to support the
ability to launch Mac applications. But it's our view that in the Unix world,
OSF/Motif will be the dominant standard. We'll have the CMW on the Mac, on
386s and 486s, as well as on other platforms. Because that's where the
government wants to be, open to a variety of hardware platforms."
   SecureWare has a version of CMW+ running on the Santa Cruz Operation's Open
Desktop system on 386 and 486 machines, McChesney said. That product will be
released later this year.
   The CMW+ uses the SecureWare Trusted Application Programming Interface
(TAPI) for developing trusted systems. The TAPI comprises a set of system
calls and library routines for trusted applications to use to access security
services. Trusted applications written for CMW+ will migrate easily to the
operating systems of other vendors using the TAPI technology, McChesney said.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 07:57:02 EST
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: New Listserv List for Discussion of QuickMail

new listserv list:  QM-L  at YaleVM                (BitNet)
                    QM-L  at YaleVM.YCC.Yale.edu   (InterNet)

Hello.  Yale University is currently using CE Software's QuickMail
mail package on a campus-wide AppleTalk network.  We are attempting to
connect as many students, faculty, and staff as possible in order to
achieve as close to universal e-mail connectivity as we can.  We are
interested in talking to other QuickMail users, in order to discuss common
experiences, problems, configurations, and the like.  We encourage anyone
interested in the CE Software QuickMail software to join us on QM-L.

You may subscribe to this list in the usual way you would subscribe to
any listserv list.  To sign up, send a message or mail to Listserv@YaleVM
(BitNet), or mail to Listserv@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.edu (InterNet),
with the command:

                  subscribe qm-l firstname lastname

For MAIL subscriptions this command should appear as the first line of
the BODY of the mail message.  The subject line is ignored and can be
omitted.  Obviously, firstname and lastnameare replaced with your first
and last name.

BITnet:  Peter @ YaleVM      InterNet:  Peter @ YaleVM.YCC.Yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:00 MET
From: TAALFILOSOFIE - 080-512949 <HSCHOTEL%KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: OZTEX

Reply to Alain WAHA and all other "Latex aware people":

>I was therefore very keen to hear about a shareware that did just the
>trick. (oztex)

If you really want to use Latex on a mac:
Their email address is: "OzTex@midway.uchicago.edu"

HSCHOTEL@KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 09:58:23 EST
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@ccvm.sunysb.edu>
Subject: OzTeX network availability

Recently, Alain Waha wrote about OzTeX, the free version of
TeX for the Macintosh. He writes

> I was therefore very keen to hear about a shareware that did just the
> trick. (oztex)
>
> But were is it? The European copy of the archives do not seem
> to hold a copy, despite holding copies of artworks etc...that have lon
>been removed from the sumex-aim archives by fear of offending people, o
> eaching copyright laws...
>
> Aybody able to shed some light on this? or bring another piece
> of news on the subject?

   For those who haven't heard, OzTeX is an absolutely superb
implementation of TeX 3.0 for the Macintosh.  The latest version
is 1.3.  It is available for 'ftp'ing from tank.uchicago.edu
OzTeX is in many ways superior to TeXtures (the commercial version)
but it is free.  Do not shell out approx $400 for TeXtures until
you have tried OzTeX

                    tom prusa (tprusa@sbccvm)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:01:52 -0500
From: adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Brian Adamson)
Subject: PICT to Postscript

    Lee,

     Canvas comes with a little application which converts it's PICT files
into encapsualted Postscript files or to the clipboard as encapsulated Postscript (EPS).  I've used this to successfully paste Canvas pictures into
Microsoft Word when I've had seemingly mysterious difficulties in doing
this with a simple cut from Canvas and paste into MS Word.

    The procedure I use (given to me over the phone from Deneba) is to
use the utility that comes with Canvas to translate a Canvas picture into
EPS into the clipboard.  Then, for some unknow reason, I have to paste the
clipboard into the scrapbook or SmartScrap.  Finally, I can switch to Word
and copy and paste from the Scrapbook into Word.

    Unfortunately, at this point, all you see on the screen is a grey
square on the screen and you can't resize it as it is EPS.

    Deneba told me the reason for these problems is that Canvas uses
extended QuickDraw routines not used by some other applications (most other
ones it seems, and apparently not by Laserwriter printer drivers, either)

    The above procedure does not work well for pictures which uses
Canvas' capability for XOR, OR, NOR, etc of fill patterns, bit maps, etc.
Evidently, Canvas can display these things quite nicely on your screen
but I don't know of anyway to print them (except when I've pasted to
Pixel Paint, and fixed all the colors that get messed up in the transfer.)

    The reason Deneba uses the extended QuickDraw is to provided additional
precision of some sort in their drawings, so they say.

				Good luck,

					Brian

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 10:36:40 +0200
From: Doron Eren <COEREN%WEIZMANN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Screen depth (summary)

A while back I posted a question about attaching a particular screen-depth
setting to an application. I would like to thank all the people who replied.
Here is a summary of all the replies:

Out of nine replies, four people recommended HandsOff II, a commercial
INIT/CDEV which enables one to attach a certain screen depth (as well
as other things, I have not tried it yet) to each application.
One reply suggested making a QuickKeys (or other) macro to set screen depth
and launch an application.

One reply suggested Launch, a shareware application (available at the archives)
which launches other applications under MultiFinder.

Thomas E. DeWeese (grendel@rpi.edu) sent me a beta version of Multi-App, an
application he wrote that keeps a strip (or other arrangment) of icons on the
screen, each showing the application icon it points to and allows the attachment
of a particular screen depth as well as a document to that application

One person mentioned DepthGauge, a freeware INIT/CDEV which lets one modify
screen depth from the finder or from within applications without going through
the Controll Panel (By Controll-(or other modifier) clicking on the menu bar).

I am currently using DepthGauge because I can usualy switch after I start
an application. I have not tried HandsOff II (turnaround time on orders here
in measured in MONTHS). Of all the other solutions, Multi-App comes closest
to what I was looking for (but it will not help if one launches  applications
by double-clicking documents). Unfortunatly, being beta, it still crashes
sometimes.
Again, I thank all those who responded...............................Doron

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 16:21:17 PST
From: LIVESEY@merry.rad.washington.edu (John Livesey)
Subject: Un-(Stuff/compact/doubling/compressing)

Now that I haven't seen _new_ messages recently on the compacting
debate, I'm wondering if some kind soul out there who has followed the
debate on file compression utilities would let the rest of us know
which decompression utilities we need to be able to benefit from
all of the archived material on Info-Mac.  I have Un-stuffit (classic,
I think) and can obviously decompress an .sea file (for self-extracting
archive).  However, it is frustrating when I have wasted time and net
resources getting a file which requires a decompression utility I don't have.

How 'bout a list of what is currently needed and if possible pointers
as to where these utilities are located.

Thanks ever so much.

John Livesey (livesey@merry.rad.washington.edu) Univ. of Washington / Seattle.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 18:57:48 cst
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: User of SUM II, help!

I have a bunch of files with filetype XCRY and file creator SMZD.
Are they encrypted by SUM's Encryption with the more advanced encryption
option set (not DEC)?

Please answer directly to me, a simple yes or no will do.  Thank you.

charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1991 10:12 ADT
From: "Joy Aberback, MicroComputer Co-Ordinator" <JABERBACK@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: Webster MultiPort Gateway Info

To all netters,
I'm looking for users' comments and experiences with a gateway called the
Webster Multiport.  Our university computer centre is *very* interested in
this piece of equipment and I'd like to hear directly from those users who
have installed or seen this gateway in operation.
Just for your information, the Webster Multiport is a four channel router,
enabling you to connect four AppleTalk networks to an Ethernet network.
Each AppleTalk port runs simultaneously and independently.  The device
divides the workload between a 68010 cpu and a Direct Memory Access
controller.  The DMA controller performs the data transfers while the cpu
handles the protocol conversions and routing of packets.
The Multiport can be configured to hide laserwriters on other AppleTalk
networks, as well as keeping some segments of the entwork from accessing
unauthorized areas (we really like these features).
It also has remote dial-in access to AppleTalk networks via a UNIX host.  The
configuration software supposedly is easy to use for setup; their tech support
has an internet address and a 1-800 number.
In all, this piece of equipment sounds too good to be true!!  Anybody with any
experience with the Multiport, please contact me and I'll summarize all
information to the net.  Thanks.

Joy Aberback (JABERBACK@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 11:35:39 MET
From: Juergen Stage <stage@d243s350.sietec.de>

Is there anybody who knows how to spool out PITC/PICT2 Images to a file?

We need some detailed information about how to spool out a BitMap/PixMap
to a file using the QD and CQD routines. The size of the BitMap/PixMap
can be very large (> 1 MByte). We are using the MPW enviroment with C
and C++. Please mail any information or sample sources describing how
to solve it to

	stage@d243s350.sietec.de

Thanks in advance.

	Juergen Stage

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  8 MAR 91 11:27:03 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu

One Problem solved and another found...

 Re : My own question about getting an application to quit when restart or
shutdown are selected in the Finder : It turns out that removing the ANSI
library from my think C project and doing the tasks it was there for (just#
calloc() as it happens) by the correct MacMinded ways does the trick. I have
no idea why the presence of this library should affect the shutdown
behaviour in this way. Perhaps hooks to the TC console are in operation
even though none of the console functions are being used.
command key (keyDown event) to your application (curly-cabbage Q) to
simulate a quit. So if you give your application the command-Q equivalents
and handle keyDown's properly (and remove ANSI ???) all should be fine and
dandy.

 However I have another question...
  In my application I wish to select a number of files at once. To do this
I am using SFPGetFile() with a custom DLOG which has a couple of extra
buttons and a ListItem (like the horrid Font/DA Mover interface). Now
what I want to do is if the (>>) button is pressed, get the highlighted
file in the SF list and transfer it to my own list so that it appears
in the right window. Unfortunately I do not appear to be able to get
the ListHandle to the SF's currently displayed file list. Is this
contained in a low-memory global or is there some other tricksy-dicksy
method of obtaining a handle to it ????

Rob Scoffin SCOFFIN@UK.AC.OX.VAX

End of Info-Mac Digest