info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/14/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 13 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 63

Today's Topics:

      .sit files: Thanks for the help
      8.24GC video cards
      adobe type manager and the new LS printer
      Apple 8*24 GC & 2 monitors
      Appleshare Screen Clear
      A question about Delphi & the Internet
      A question about keyboards.
      Communications Toolbox needed
      Copying PC-Files via a Mac?
      Font/DA Mover trouble
      Hard Disk Partitioning and System 7.0
      HC 2.0 bug?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #62 (2 msgs)
      MacTCP Question.
      modem cables
      more on shareware authors
      Personal Word 4.0 Glossary
      Printer for Multiple Copy Forms
      RE>Info-Mac#62
      ResEdit 2.1 Distribution (again)
      Scatchard Plots.
      System 7.0 and 6.0.7 on one disk - JUST SAY NO!
      System 7/System 6 on same drive
      System 7 partition
      The New Apple Printers?
      Trashed PM File

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:07:10 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack Sun)
Subject: .sit files: Thanks for the help

Hi Info-mac,

I have got a lot of msg about the question on how to ftp files with .sit ext.
I appreaciate all of the folks who responded.  But please pardon me for not
being able to list your names here: it will take me thirty minutes to do so.

Here is a summary on how to ftp .sit files, in case somebody else is also
interested in this topic.

1) The actual ftp must be done in a binary fashion. Once you have connected
   to the remote system issue the ftp command 'binary'. This will allow you
   binary transfers on all files you 'get' or 'mget'.
2) When you ftp the file down to the PC issue the binary commmand before
   starting the transfer.
2) Do not do a Text Translation with Apple-file-exchange. Instead, use the
   default 'copy' mode where no translation of the file is done.
That should work. Whenever transferring files from remote systems check the
type of file you are getting. If it is not text then remember to transfer
it with a binary transfer.

This summary should be credited to Dave Milton, since this is the copy of his
actual msg.

Thanks again, folks!

Jack

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 08:58 CST
From: RUBLI@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Subject: 8.24GC video cards

We bought 4 8.24GC video cards, and came into a lot of trouble.
on some mac II (plain II's) they work but in other they don't. I spend a whole
morning trying to find out the difference between the machines in which they
work and in which they don't. I did not came to a scientific result.
and I have no idea what is going on, on the machines in which they did not
work, the mouse freezed.
I called to tech support (genetec) is the representative in mexico. And they
did not helped me, in their setups it worked, they said.

Does anybody know what is going on ?

alexander rubli , university of the americas, puebla, MEXICO

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 14:08:50 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: adobe type manager and the new LS printer

Hi. Here's a few questions about Adobe Type Manager:

1) What does it do?

2) What's the latest version?

3) What fonts does it support?

4) What is the ATM Plus Pack and what fonts does it support?

5) Is ATM compatible with the new AppleLaserWriter LS, which,
   from what I've been reading, does not support Postscript
   fonts?

6) Is there a way to convert Adobe Postscript Fonts (type 1
   fonts) to True Type fonts? Fontmonger?

You've probably guessed that I'm excited about this new LS
printer, but I want to make sure somehow I'll be able to use
the Adobe fonts on it.
Thanks.Marshall Carroll  Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU
BITNET: NU163467@NDSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 10:57:55 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Apple 8*24 GC & 2 monitors

I am currently running the Apple 8*24 GC video card on a Mac IIfx with an
Apple 13" color monitor. I also have Apple 8 bit video card running a 12"
Apple b&w monitor on the same machine.  It works fine.

I have noticed some problems with the GC but not very many.  My most noticable
problems are from THINK Pascal 3.0 which has some display problems, in
addition to a nasty clipboard bug that pisses me off.  At any rate, I find the
GC to work well.  I haven't done much in the way of real timing tests, but I
do notice a speedup.  It is nothing substantial though, but I attribute that
to begin on an FX. It is damned fast even without the GC.  The speed
improvements are most noticable in 24 bit mode, as expected.  If it weren't
for memory considerations, I would run in 24 bit mode all the time.

Apple claims that the GC speeds up ALL video cards.  MacWeek noticed no
noticable speed improvments in their tests.  I would hesitate to say either
way.  I keep the b&w monitor in 1 bit most of the time and as I mentioned
before, the difference between unaccelerated 8 bit on the FX and the GC's
faster 8 bit is too subtle for me to notice.

FYI

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 20:33:38 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Appleshare Screen Clear

I find it really annoying that the Appleshare init clears the screen
as my Mac starts up. Has anybody come up with a patch to prevent
this?

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca   userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 07:43:36 -0600
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: A question about Delphi & the Internet

Is it possible to email back and forth between internet and Delphi?  I've some
friends in other parts of the country who've accounts on Delphi, and it'd be
fantastic if I could!

Peace and Long Life,

Doug
     internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
       ATTnet:  (319) 353-5050

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 17:53:58 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: A question about keyboards.

Netters,

I have a question about extended keyboards.  Is there a way to use the key
Mac II users use to turn on their macs--if you have an SE?  Is there a piece
of software out there that can do this?  Or is it a hardware problem?  Right
now that key is useless, but I saw someone use it and it sure would be neat...

Please e-mail me directly, I'll summarize for the 'net.

Keep on Mac'in!

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:42:45 PST
From: charest@ai-cyclops.jpl.nasa.gov (Len Charest)
Subject: Communications Toolbox needed

I desperately need a copy of the Comm. Toolbox (can't wait for System 7.0 :).
It is my understanding that this software is available for FREE as an INIT.
Anyone who knows where it is available on-line (Internet, BBS's, etc.) please
e-mail to me at charest@ai-cyclops.jpl.nasa.gov. Thanks in advance.

-Len Charest

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 09:58:25 CET
From: Michael Daether <BF5%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Copying PC-Files via a Mac?

I just got a FDHD-Update for my floppy and can now write also DOS-Disks.
So I tried to download a PC-Archive (which is a binary file) and to
transfer it to the DOS-Disk. But I can use a DOS-Disk only with File-
Exchange, and File-Exchange always makes some translation with the file,
assuming the downloaded PC-file to be a Macintosh-file. Has anybody an
idea how to make a one to one copy of a file on a Harddisk to a DOS-
disk?

                                       MICHAEL DAETHER

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 08:27 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Font/DA Mover trouble

[Jacob Weinstein writes about problems getting Font/DA Mover to install things
in the current System folder]

My guess is MultiFinder.  There is some problem with using Font/DA Mover under
MultiFinder (if you have other apps open, there is no way to notify them of the
fonts/DA's you have changed, so could lead to major confusion/crash).
Therefore I believe Font/DA Mover won't let you change the current system if
you have MultiFinder turned on.

Mark Nutter [MANUTTER@IUP]
Apple Support Manager, Indiana University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 13:02:19 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Partitioning and System 7.0

In a recent digest Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@TCSVM> asked for experiences
with System 7.0 and how to best use both System 6.0.7 and 7.0 on the
same physical hard disk.

In this matter I should perhaps first explain the difference between the
so-called "soft" and "hard" partitioning schemes. On every SCSI drive the
first few blocks of the disk contain the partition table, which describes
what parts of the disk are used for what purpose. Typically a few sectors
will be occupied by the driver and the rest of the disk is then partitioned
into various volumes (some of which may not even be Macintosh file systems -
they may e.g. be used by A/UX or any other Operating System available on that
machine). Each of these volumes is then made available to the operating system
by the driver (which is loaded by the boot code in the Mac ROM) and can be
seen on the desktop as one icon. This is what is commonly called "hard" or
"real" partitioning, meaning that every partition is indeed a partition on
the SCSI drive (if you access one of these volumes/partitions using the
Macintosh file system, you will NOT be able to access other parts of the
SCSI device, such as the driver or other volumes/partitions). This real
partitioning has to be supported by the driver for your hard disk. Examples
of hard disk drivers that utilize partitioning are SilverLining, Optima,
and Apple's own HD SC Setup (although the latter only allows one Mac partition
in addition to several A/UX partitions). If you'd like to use "hard"
partitioning on a drive that hasn't been used that way so far, you will very
likely have to reformat your drive with a new driver software.

"Soft" partitioning, on the other hand, does NOT partition the SCSI drive and
thus doesn't require reformatting the driver with a new driver software. It
simply creates an invisible file in the main volume and treats the contents
of this file as a seperate volume. To the user two disadvantages are visible
immediately: A) the size of the main volume is alway wrong, because it
includes the sizes of all partitions and B) if anything happens to the main
volume, the contents of the partitions may also be affected, since they are
nothing more than files in the directory of the main volume. Technically
you can manipulate the contents of another partition/volume by accessing the
contents of the main (or root) partition/volume, which is not a very desirable
feature - especially if you want to restrict access to your volumes with a
password.

As a result of all this, I would recommend that you use "real" partitoning
if you consider using high-risk software (such as development releases of a
new operating system).

As far as co-existence of 6.0.7 and 7.0 are concerned, you should be aware,
that 7.0 does some things radically different than pre-7.0 systems: A) the
desktop file doesn't exist any more and is replaced by a desktop database and
B) files on the desktop are no longer stored in the root directory, but are
now placed into a "Desktop Folder". The result is that you and your Mac will
get very confused when you switch back between pre-7.0 and 7.0 systems. It
does work, but you will have to look for some icons every time you switch
back and forth. Furthermore switching back and forth takes some time, because
7.0 will want to update it's desktop database.

But the good news is, that once you've started to get used to 7.0, you will
probably not want to work with 6.0.7, anyway. At least that's what happened
to me: in December I installed 7.0 on my hard disk to test compatibility with
the application I've been working on by then, and thus far I haven't removed it
>From my drive - on the contrary, I don't even have 6.0.7 anywhere on my disk.
As far as compatibility with existing applications is concerned, everything
has been working fine for me. Here is a list of applications I use frequently
with System 7.0: Word 4.0, WingZ 1.1, MacDraw II, FileMaker Pro, ResEdit 2.1,
Ball&Stick, MPW, THINK C. What tends to be a problem are INITs and CDEVs.
I found that the following work well with 7.0: Super Boomerang, Cursor Animator
SuperClock, PopChar, After Dark. Some others have resulted in great crashes,
but as I said, I switched in mid-December and haven't remembered their names.

If you are a registered developer and thus have access to 7.0, I'd recommend
that you try running it for a while. If you find that some of your favorite
apps won't work, you can still switch back and wait for the next version, but
if you are lucky and everything works fine, you can help Apple to find the
more hidden bugs - and you can also start making your own applications 7.0
friendly!!! If you are not a developer, I'd suggest that you still wait a bit
until 7.0 is released to the general public. The reason is very simple: if
you are a developer you are very likely also quite knowledgable about the Mac
(at least I hope so...  :-) ) and thus you will not attempt to do crazy
things with 7.0, because you know exactly what to exepect from software that
is still under development. As a user you are used to certain standards of
quality and performance, which you won't find in a beta version of 7.0!
As a result you will very likely be disappointed by 7.0, because it may
crash on you after you typed a two-page memo and didn't save it so far.

Therefore, this is my personal recommendation:

   If you are a registered developer, start using it right now (if you
   haven't already done so).

   If you are a user, wait a few more months. You don't only miss the
   good things, you also miss a lot of crashes!

(A) (L) exander   (F) alk

Disclaimer: these are just my own ideas and don't express anybody else's
            opinion!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 11:06:38 PST
From: nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: HC 2.0 bug?

Date    3/13/91
Subject HC 2.0 bug?
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

Have a stack with 16000 cards.  Running on a MacPlus, when I type into the
message box the following command:

unmark all cards

It seems to creep very slowly through the stack.  After 6 hours of letting it
crunch away, it had only cleared about a 1000 of the 6000 cards that were
previously marked in the stack.  Any idea why that command is so slow?

Kee Nethery
nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 18:59:25 PST
From: Michael O'Henly <LUX@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #62

Re: Modula-2 Compiler (Andre Dumais)

   I believe the compiler you're looking for is available in the Simtel-20
archive (26.2.0.74).

   Michael O'Henly

<< McPherson Library, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., Canada >>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 19:14:13 PST
From: Michael O'Henly <LUX@uvvm.uvic.ca>

Re: Mildly Misleading & Insulting (Jonathan Mills)

> The new Cubist screen saver is not just designed for users of small-screen
> Macs, it is designed *not* to work with small Macs that have been enhanced
> with a large display.

> Worse, the author, Alan Keahey, appears to take a perverse pride in this
> design, presenting a mildly insulting screen to the user who has managed
> to escape the bounds of 9" Macs.

> I would not object, except that the "advertisement" for Cubist implies
> that the program is for small-screen Macs versus the Mac II series. Thus,
> Keahey was able to con some number of folks into wasting net bandwidth to
> transfer a program over that we won't use (switch to a 9" screen to use
> Cubist -- no way!), and further, get his chuckle after we extract the
> program, and then find his message on the screen instead of a screen-saver.

   Oh, please. Cubist is a not-quite 14k file that probably cost nothing more
than a few moments of your time to look at.  The vast majority of small-screen
Macs are _not_ driving large displays, and to suggest that the author was at-
tempting to con you into "wasting net bandwidth" is really offensive.

   Just as a matter of interest, which do you think wastes more, uh..., "net
bandwidth": the number of times Cubist is downloaded by people using large
displays driven by small-screen Macs - or - the number of times your patently
ungrateful complaint gets posted around Info-Mac-Land?

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:50:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Tom Holodnik <tjh+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: MacTCP Question.

	I noticed that there is a new version of MacTCP being shipped with MacX
(version 1.0.2).
	Does anyone have a change history of what improvements/differences
there are between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2?

	The behavior is almost identical, from what I have seen.

-tom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 12:15:30 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: modem cables

Thanks to everyone for their help re the cable that would convert a
Hayes-compatible 2400baud Packard-Bell external modem to a MAC IIsi.
The cable is a "Mini-DIN 8  to DB25, H.C. modem" and is readily
available through mail-order outlets for about $15 for the 10ft type.
MC

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 22:24:15 EST
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: more on shareware authors

My 2 cents worth on shareware authors.  As soon as FlashIt 2.1 was available,
the author, Nobu Toge, sent me a letter telling me so and where it was posted,
and offered to send me a disk in case I didn't have access to bulletin boards.
All that on top of writing an excellent peace of software!

						Hisham.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 01:42:19 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Personal Word 4.0 Glossary

We had an experience with this using a large text file as a user dictionary.
The Word manual says that the virtual limit of a user dictionary is
something like 30,000 words, but they recommend you don't try using more than
2,000. 15,000 Irish words didn't work for us.

I haven't used Glossaries much but for when I was testing a MacAkkadian
cuneiform font as a friend and I were working out parameters for MacHittite.
(Hic transit gloria obscurantistarum....). But when we created the user
dictionary out of the text file, we just changed the file type from
whatever it was to DICT. Perhaps you could save yourself trouble and
change the filetype to GLOS.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 10:56:55 EST
From: bas@chem.wayne.edu (Barry A. Schoenfelner)
Subject: Printer for Multiple Copy Forms

I'm looking for recommendations, for or against, impact printers which can
print up to 6 copy multiple forms.  The printer should be Mac compatable,
reliable and produce a good strong strike even through 6 copies.  Please
send me comments (good, bad and ugly) and I would be glad to summarize for
the net.  Thanks.

Barry Schoenfelner     bas@chem.wayne.edu

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 13:04:36
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: RE>Info-Mac#62

                       Subject:                               Time:12:53 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          RE>Info-Mac#62                         Date:3/13/91
Re>Is it OK to mix Farrallon and Apple connection ....
Re>I was wondering if I could just connect my PhoneNet connectors into the
sockets of...

It is my own experience that indeed one can mix Farrallon PhoneNet and
MacIntosh LocalTalk connectors. I have never experienced any compatibility
problems. In order to use both types of networks, one needs to have a point in
the chain where the conversion between the two types is accomplished. We are
using an Adaptor Cable PhoneNet to LocalTalk (Part PN120, about $10.00 or less)
>From Farallon. It can be purchased directly from them or from any mail order
company.
Since there must be some losses at the adaptor, the only problem that may be
expected is about the capabilities to have very long chains (i.e. lengths close
to the limitations claimed by Apple or Farrallon). Since we have a short
network, I cannot say anything on this. It may also be recommended to organize
the network chain in such a way that there is only one point where the
adaptation from one type of network to the other is required.
I hope this will help.

Thierry Jurand
Internet address: Thierry_Jurand@cbis.ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:23:58 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1 Distribution (again)

Here is the story with the current distribution situation of ResEdit 2.1:

     a) APDA is currently NOT shipping ResEdit 2.1, because the Reference
        manual for ResEdit 2.1 is not finished yet. Once the manual is
        available (probably April according to APDA) ResEdit 2.1 will be
        available through APDA.

     b) In order to not loose the copyright for ResEdit, Apple CANNOT give
        away ResEdit for free. Therefore a license to distribute ResEdit
        is required for every BBS or 3rd party developer who wants to
        distribute ResEdit. This license is available from Apple Software
        Licensing for $100 per year. America Online, GEnie, Symantec, and
        others do have such a license and thus are allowed to dsitribute
        ResEdit. Since the sumex-aim archives are not a commercial service
        they can't afford the license and therefore cannot put ResEdit in
        the archives.

     c) The same is true with apple.com: it is a free service and thus
        ResEdit can't be made availble there because of legal reasons.

     d) If you want to get ResEdit 2.1 as fast as possible and don't
        have access to commercial services like America Online or GEnie,
        the easiest way to get ResEdit is to go to your local bookstore
        and get yourself a copy of "ResEdit Complete" by Peter Alley and
        Carolyn Strange (Addison-Wesley, 1990), which includes a disk
        with ResEdit 2.1 on it. It is also a great book about ResEdit and
        sells for only $29.95.

Hope this helps,

 L  exander
  F alk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91   9:50 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scatchard Plots.

Anybody know of a good Scatchard analysis package?

Mail to me please, my source of Info-mac is patchy.

Andy
LAWA @ UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:15:50 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 and 6.0.7 on one disk - JUST SAY NO!

I noticed that someone suggested using System Switcher (or a similar
utility) to run both System 7.0 and 6.0.7 on the same disk.

                       DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS !

The problem is, that System 7.0 and 6.0.7 do have different boot blocks
and all those system switching utilities do, is change the reference to
the system folder AND NOT THE REST OF THE BOOT BLOCKS.

So if you want to avoid running into weird crashes, do NOT mix System
7.0 and 6.0.7 on one disk. Even soft partitions are better than having
them both on the same volume.

By the way, this is not just my opinion, but is a recommendation that
was accompanying an early Apple internal version of System 7.0. I'm pretty
sure that it is still valid for 7.0b1 and 7.0b4!

(A) (L) exander   (F) alk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 11:31 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7/System 6 on same drive

Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

>Thanks to all those who responded to my query about installing System 7
>in a partition on a hard disk with 6.0.7 already on it. ... Everyone
>recommends hard partitioning ... over soft partitioning... You can tell
>which is which, apparently, because hard partitioning will require you
>to reformat your disk.

You are right there.  Not only is Soft Partioning very bad for data
management/recovery, but you CAN NOT boot off of a Soft Partition. The
BEST way to tell if it is a soft partition is if there is an invisible
file with an odd name the size of your partition on your main disk..

>Having to reformat is a pain, so first of all I will try Murph Sewall's
>recommendation that I use System Switcher on a single disk with no
>partitions.

Some things to note here, though... First is that you will not be able
to 'switch down' to Sys 6 without rebooting.  Secondly, you will cause
some serious crashes by switching to System 7 if any code from Inits
that were loaded into memory by System 6 are still present, if those
inits are not Sys7 compatible.  Also, System 7 seems to have the need to
be in the root (top level, first to mount) partition of a hard
partitioned drive.  AND, System 7's Virtual Memory will only work on
drives formatted with Apple's HDSC Setup, which, stupidly enough, does
not allow more than one Mac partition...

>There seems to be wide agreement that System 7 is currently pretty
>stable, and works with most applications. I received a number of
>warnings about inits, tho'.

Ones to watch out for: OnCue, Quickkeys 1.2, InitCDEV 3.0 (window draws
funny), and SuperLaserSpool/Timbuktu Remote combined.  These are in my
experience.

Greg Trimper .... various addresses and disclaimers ....

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 22:40:56 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 partition

On Tue, 12 Mar 91 11:52:47 CST you said:
>Having to reformat is a pain, so first of all I will try Murph Sewall's
>recommendation that I use System Switcher on a single disk with no
>partitions.

Recommendation is a stronger verb than is appropriate, since I haven't
any direct evidence (not even a good rumor :-) that System Switcher
will work with System 7.  If if doesn't, perhaps Blesser will.  I prefer
System Switcher because it's a little more "automagic" than Blesser.

What I said was "I hope System Switcher will work" as I to will not be
surprised if the capacity to jump back to System 6 and catch my breath

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 01:31 PST
From: "Phil Jung.....Wherever you go, there you are. 8)" <PJUNG@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: The New Apple Printers?

Anyone got the dirt on the new Apple printers just released on Monday?
Namely, the Personal LaserWriter SL or some such 2-letter combination
and the StyleWriter bubble-jet printer?

The San Jose Mercury News mentioned something about their both being
manufactured by Canon. The Personal LW SL will go for about $1500, and the
StyleWriter for around $650. (I can't remember the exact prices)

The ad also mentioned that both printers will take advantage of the new
Sys 7 outline fonts when they come out.

What interests me is the StyleWriter bubble-jet printer. Seems like it will go
head-to-head with the HP DeskWriter at 300 dpi. The StyleWriter is supposed
to be small and light.

Is there anyone out there with any more precise info? I'm sure everyone would
like to know....

Phil Jung

Disclaimer: All I know about this I read in the newspaper.

P.S. Hey, just a thought. Could the StyleWriter be the Canon BJ 10e in disguise?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:43 MST
From: <CAREN%NAUVAX.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Trashed PM File

I have had the same experience with PM 4.0 files. According to Aldus
technical support, it is not recommended that you store PM 4.0 files
on floppy disks. Apparently, PM does not handle "disk full" messages
well (if at all :-) ). They recommend that you save files to a hard
disk and then transfer to a floppy when the publication is FINISHED!!

Caren Williams
Computer Services
Northern Arizona University

------------------------------

Date: 13-MAR-1991 13:53:10 EST
From: SADLER@adelphi-hdlsig1.army.mil

I'm currently in the market for a 24-bit color card
for my IIcx.  Any suggestions??

I've heard that the Rasterops Colorboard 264 is the
most cost effective choice.  Also recently heard
that this board is being replaced, and that Rasterops
may be giving credits for tradeins (I could get
something for my old Apple board).

Might as well email to me and I'll summarize...

thanks in advance

brian sadler
sadler@adelphi-hdlsig1.army.mil

End of Info-Mac Digest