info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/15/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 14 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 64

Today's Topics:

      [*] New Translator Modules for StuffIt Deluxe
      [*] Preview, screen printing program.
      [*] TADS.sit.hqx
      [*] Why Use TeX? (long)
      APPLESHARE
      Apple to PhoneNet Connection
      Background printing editorializes
      but...but...but
      Driver for NEC P6 printer ??
      External Hard Drive Problems
      Hey Willard -- Don't forget the MacBinary! :-)
      HyperCard 2.0 Picture XCMD not at fault
      HyperCard picture XCMD revealed at last (to me, anyway)
      Laser fonts: How to convert Type 3 to Type 1?
      Latex
      Mac II problems
      Recovering Deleted Files
      SLOOOOW MacAvenue Quantum drive...
      System 7.0 & System Switcher

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 8 Mar 91 15:39:00 EDT
From: johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu
Subject: [*] New Translator Modules for StuffIt Deluxe

Here is an updated set of Translator modules for StuffIt Deluxe to
replace /info-mac/util/stuffit-translators.hqx in the archives:

It includes three new modules, and documentation in TeachText format:

UUCode Translator                 --     Leonard Rosenthol
TAR Translator                    --     Ray Lau
AppleLink Package Translator      --     Terry Teague

btoa/atob Translator              --     Ray Lau
MacBinary (BinHex 5) Translator   --     Ray Lau
DD Translator                     --     Darryl Lovato
(the DD Translator uses the DDexpand init, also available on sumex)

Thanks to Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@sv.portal.com) who forwarded
the translators for posting.

The Translator modules will work with StuffIt Classic -- eventually.
Classic v.1.6 had a minor bug that prevented translators with
hierarchical menus from working; a fix will be released soon.
Also included in the package is a compiled version of a sample
translator that will be distributed with "Inside StuffIt", a developer's
toolkit that will allow users to write their own modules that
take advantage of StuffIt's open architecture.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/stuffit-deluxe-translators.hqx; 135K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 18:17
From: <IOCONNOR%SUNRISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Preview, screen printing program.

Enclosed please find Preview, a program to print things to your
screen--instead of to the printer.  You install it in your system
folder and it becomes a chooser document.

There are two versions, version 1.5, the later one, cuts off the
corners of the program I got Preview with--but would probably work
OK with others.  (I got it with a grader called Grade Machine.)

The shareware info and manual are enclosed in the self extracting
folder.

Enjoy!

Keep on Mac'in!

Kieran O'Connor

(IOCONNOR@SUNRISE)  (bitnet)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/preview-15.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 13:31:47 EST
From: Chris Nebel <nebel@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] TADS.sit.hqx

For the programming directory:

TADS (Text Adventure Development System) lets you write Infocom-like games with
a minimum of pain and agony.  It handles the grubby details like parsing input
and keeping track of objects, and lets you concentrate on writing the actual
adventure.  Comes with source code for "Ditch Day Drifter," a medium-sized
adventure.  Shareware, $25.  When you register, you get the manual and a tool
to make your adventure a stand-alone application.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/tads.hqx; 326K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 11:56:45 PST
From: "Anthony E. Siegman" <siegman@sierra.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Why Use TeX? (long)

want to use it instead of a WYSIWHG editor?", here is an article I
wrote for Optics and Photonics News, the monthly news magazine of the
Optical Society of America, attempting to answer that question.  (I
think the article will appear in the April or May 1991 issue.)

[Archived as /info-mac/report/using-tex.txt; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:26:00 BST
From: SEAN DUFFY <SCP23018%IRTCCARL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: APPLESHARE

HELLO,
     I would appreciate it if anybody could give some assistance on the
following matter : I am writing a mail program on an apple macintosh se
on an appletalk network, using the server to store the files.I need some
way of checking when a person logs on whether there is mail in their folder
or not. Also if the person is logged on and gets mail I need to send them
a message to inform them of this. Any help on the matter would be much
appreciated,
           Thank You,
                    Sean.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 21:27:08 EST
From: A Moiseff <MOISEFF%UCONNVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Apple to PhoneNet Connection

>Is it OK to mix Farrallon and Apple connections between computers and
>a LaserWriter within the same local network?
>I was wondering if I could just connect my PhoneNet
>connectors into the sockets of the Apple boxes.

Yes, and no...  You can mix Apple's localtalk boxes and Farallon's
PhoneNet.
1) This decreases the maximum suggested distance of the backbone from
about 4000' (PhoneNet) to about 1000' (Apple).
2) PhoneNet has (I think) built in surge protection; Apple doesn't.
3) Physically, both boxes are identical at the Mac End (MiniDIN that
plugs into printer port) but they differ at the 'wiring' side.  Apple
uses their hard-to-find MiniDIN connectors; Farallon uses regular
modular telephone connectors.  So the wiring cannot be plugged in
unless you make a _simple_ custom cable.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 21:40:36 EST
From: Andy Moiseff <MOISEFF%UCONNVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Background printing editorializes

Beware of apple's background printing!
I was printing out complicated MacDrawII documents containing a
couple of graphs copied from CricketGraph, Text overlays generated
in MacDrawII and a PICT image pasted from a screen dump.  All
info was on Layer
1, color 'black' on a 'clear' background.
As I printed (System 6.0.4/Multifinder/4 Meg Memory) to my
Laserwriter parts of the image, visible on the screen, were
not printed.  First, one part was missing, then an additional
part was missing.  No matter what I did I could NOT print the
objects that were visible on the screen.

The problem was the background printing.  If it was turned off
everything printed perfectly!

Does anyone know how/why the backgound printing made editorial
decisions on my figure?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 16:35 EST
From: <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: but...but...but

Netfolk,

	Howdy.  In the last two weeks since I posted a message about
The now infamous Banana Junior, I have received well over 200 responses,
and am getting more each day.  From the day after I posted that message,
I got mail like you wouldn't believe.  Saying all this to say that if
the demand was high enough, I would down load the nifty, elusive sucker to
the net.  Well the response has been overwhelming, and I am now downloading
it to the net.  Go to it.  And ENJOY!

	Secondly, I am having a problem with some of my application icons,
they keep turning to text icons for some strange reason.  Like for instance
the icon for MacProof has changed from its parent application icon to a white
text block icon, showing nothing that identifies it as belonging to MacProof.
Other applications have done this as well.  Quark Xpress, PageMaker, FreeHand,
But mostly the inits, and CDEV's.  A while back some one explained how to
eradicate this little dilemma.  But I can't seem to find it.  Anyone wanna
be so kind as to give me a hand in this area.  Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks a bunch.

Randy.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 12:12 MET
From: KRAALINGEN%CABO.AGRO.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Driver for NEC P6 printer ??

Dear Net,

Does a driver exist to use a NEC P6 24-needle printer in combination
with a Mac ? If so, how can it be obtained. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Daniel van Kraalingen
Centre for Agrobiological Research
Wageningen, The Netherlands

kraalingen@cabo.agro.nl
and:
kraalingen@rcl.wau.nl

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 14 Mar 1991 09:03:59 EST
From: "Jeffrey N. Fritz" <JFRITZ%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: External Hard Drive Problems

RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN asked about a problem using an external HD on a Mac.  I
ran into much the same problem recently with a Jasmine DD45 that formerly
was used on a Mac Plus.  If I tried to boot from either a Mac Portable or
IIsi I got ROM error messages and everything died with a sad Mac icon.
This was true even if I tried to boot from the internal drive. As long as
the external Jasmine was connected to the IIsi/Portable and turned on-no dice!

Removing the system folder from the external drive didn't work, but booting the
IIsi up first with the Jasmine turned off and then turning the Jasmine on
after I was at the finder did work.  (This is probably not a good practice,
but, hey, I was desparate!).  My calls to Jasmine and Rodime (the drive
manufacturer) resulted in sympathetic listeners but no solutions.

Here's what finally worked: I put the drive back on the Plus, backed up all
of its files then moved the drive to the IIsi.  Next I  used Jasmine's
set up disks to completely reformat the drive from the IIsi.  Worked like a
charm!  Maybe I should have known better to start with!  There is a difference
(interleave???) between different Macs in how they format their drives.

I don't know if this is the same problem, but just in case any Netters have
run into this same problem, this is what worked for me!

------------------------------

Date: 13 March 1991 16:59:21 CST
From: "Richard K. Wolf (312) 996-9664" <U16480%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hey Willard -- Don't forget the MacBinary! :-)

>> Hi people,
>> Can anybody tell me how to ftp files with .sit extension?  Unlike those with
>> .hqx, I have never succeeded in getting the .sit files.
>> I use ftp from CMS system, then use PC TCP/ftp thing to get the file to a DOS
>> floppy, and then do  Text Translation with Apple-file-exchange.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Jack
>>
>There are 3 problems with the above procedure and all are related to the
>fact that .sit files are NOT text.
>1) The actual ftp must be done in a binary fashion. Once you have connected
>   to the remote system issue the ftp command 'binary'. This will allow you
>   binary transfers on all files you 'get' or 'mget'.
>2) When you ftp the file down to the PC issue the binary commmand before
>   starting the transfer.
>2) Do not do a Text Translation with Apple-file-exchange. Instead, use the
>   default 'copy' mode where no translation of the file is done.
>That should work. Whenever transferring files from remote systems check the
>type of file you are getting. If it is not text then remember to transfer
>it with a binary transfer.

>  Dave Milton

This is almost right -- there are only two teeny-weeny points to
make which Dave hasn't.

The first is . . . since your PC is obviously connected to the
Internet, why not just FTP directly to sumex (or wherever) to
get those StuffIt files?  I am in a situation which you might find
all too similar to your own.  On my desk I have an IBM PS/2 model
30 with an Ethernet card giving me Internet access.  I also have
a Mac II which is awaiting its Ethernet card.  In the meantime, I
am forced to FTP things to my PC, even if I intend them to be used
on my Mac.  I would never think of FTP'ing stuff to CMS and then
FTP'ing again to my PC.  Just FTP right from your PC!  (Cut out
the middleman, so to speak.)

Second point is, you will not be able to do MacBinary file transfers.
So, after you use Apple File Exhanger, you will have a binary file
but not one which StuffIt will be able to interpret properly.  You
will need to obtain a copy of MacBinary (available from sumex) and
filter your binary files through this first.  I find it necessary to
give the original binary file a name different than the converted
MacBinary file.  I usually just add the suffix ".tmp" to whatever
plain binary files I transfer just before invoking MacBinary.

I hope this helps!

Richard K. Wolf
University of Illinois at Chicago
U42641@UICVM.BITNET
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 15:32 EST
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: HyperCard 2.0 Picture XCMD not at fault

EPETERS writes:

> According to my reference (Winkler
> & Kamins' "HyperTalk 2.0:  The Book"), I should be able to load a
> PICT resource by specifying its location and name, and display it in
> one of several window types, using specified coordinates to determine
> the size and position of the window, e.g.,
>
> picture pictureName,resource, dialog, "10,40,236,188"
>
> Unfortunately, the only part of this command that does NOT appear
> to work is the window position command.

That's because Winkler and Kamins (as you quote them) are wrong about
the syntax. The correct syntax is:

picture sourceName,sourceType,windowStyle,visible,depth

There is no facility for setting the rect or loc of a picture in the
creation command. All your problems will be solved, tho, if you send "false" as
the fourth ("visible") parameter. Now give the command

show window pictureName at loc

and your picture will appear where you want it. There is no bug; the
bug is with the fact that (I presume) in the rush to get the book out,
the authors committed themselves to a syntax which was in fact only
tentative and was later changed.

> Also, does anyone know if you can
> close these or other windows (e.g. palettes) when switching to another
> open stack?  Mine are still floating there when I switch to another
> stack.
> By the way, I have found no mention of this XCMD or its syntax in the
> HyperCard help stacks.

You can close manually with the close or hide command, e.g. close window
windowName. Or you can write a script that does it on closeStack and
suspendStack; it needs to take advantage of the global variable "the
Windows", which stores open window names in its various lines.

The Help is in the PowerTools stack (if you have that), under Picture XCMD.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91  22:23:33 MST
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Eric L. Peters: Radiol. & Rad. Biol., CSU)
Subject: HyperCard picture XCMD revealed at last (to me, anyway)

Dear Fellow NetTrekkers:

Once again, I am overwhelmed by the rapid response time to my last
question to the readers of the Digest.  This time, my question
was on the proper syntax for using the picture XCMD in HyperCard 2.0.
The first response arrived at the same time as my copy of the edition
of the Info-Mac Digest that contained my original question.

The upshot of the suggestions was that while the Winkler & Kamins
book is considered a very good reference, it was published before
the syntax of this XCMD was frozen.  In fact, there is no way to
specify parameters for either the location or the rect of the
window while it is being created.  It IS possible, however, to
hide the window at the time of its creation, set the appropriate
rect and/or loc coordinates and the scroll property, and THEN show
the window (using either a 'show' or a 'set visible to true'
command).  As was pointed out by a couple of the respondants, the
correct syntax may be found in the 'Power Tools' stack that
accompanies the $49.95 version of HC 2.0 (I didn't even think to
look there.  Boy, do I feel stupid(er).)

A couple of folks also suggested hiding the window before closing it
as part of a closeCard handler, as otherwise the picture window
remains visible until after the closeCard command is complete.  After
some experimentation, I have concluded that the following scripts
yield optimal synchronization between closing/opening the cards and
accompanying picture windows on a relatively slow Mac (a Plus).
These scripts will open a PICT resource that corresponds to the name
of the species of animal depicted on each card of a background
(which is stored in the background field "Species"):

on openCard
  global pictureName,frameSize,scrollPosition
  get line 1 of bg field "Species"
  put it into pictureName
  put quote & "9,43,235,188" & quote into frameSize --must have quotes
  put quote & "15,20" & quote into scrollPosition --must have quotes, also
  picture pictureName,resource, rect,false
  if there is a window pictureName then
    -- only the values of the variables seem to work
    set the rect of window pictureName to (the value of frameSize)
    set the scroll of window pictureName to (the value of scrollPosition)
    show window pictureName
  end if
 unlock screen
end openCard

on closeCard
  global pictureName,frameSize,scrollPosition
  if there is no window pictureName then exit closeCard
  else
   hide window pictureName -- hides picture window before closing card
   lock screen
   close window pictureName
  end if
  put empty into pictureName
  put empty into frameSize
  put empty into scrollPosition
end closeCard

I have developed a nice prototype stack that employs these and other
features, which I will gladly email to anyone that wants it (it looks
best on a color Mac right now because I experimented with including
color and grayscale PICTs).  Otherwise, I will send a more complete
version to the archives when it is a little farther along.  The final
stack will be an educational demonstration illustrating many species
of vertebrates, and will be designed to increase students' appreciation
of the biodiversity of lower vertebrates.

In closing, I'd like to thank profusely (in order of my receiving their
messages):  Mark Clark, Dave Martin, Bruce Carter, (first name not given)
Neuberg, and Kevin Calhoun of Apple Computer, Inc.'s HyperCard Team for
their responses.  You folks are great!

They will take my Info-Mac subscription away from me when they pry it
>From my cold, dead modem.

Eric

* Eric L. Peters                    EPETERS@CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:20:23 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack Sun)
Subject: Laser fonts: How to convert Type 3 to Type 1?

Hi people,
I have got some laser fonts from sumex, but most of them are not type 1 font
and can not be used with ATM.  Question: Is there a way to get arround this
problem so that they can be used for ATM?  I have notised that some of them
have AMT files, but I don't know how to make use of those files either.
Any help is appreciated.

Jack

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:12:33 GMT
From: MBSFPAW%CMS.Manchester-Computing-Centre.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Latex

Dear all,

Thank you very much for the overwhelming response concerning
the availability of Oztex, the Latex implementation on Mac.
A little sumary:
The main archive to access is:

                 tank.uchicago.edu
  or             128.135.136.2
login as anonymous, and look into the /pub/Oztex/ directory.

European users can access a server at Aston University (Birmingham)
 called Uk.Ac.Tex, which contains versions of tex for many platforms.

The files are quite substential (10M), so Aston proposes to send you
disks in the post. Worth trying!

Thanks to : (in no sprecial order!)
         David Byers
         Bill Johnston
         Loki Jorgenson
         Henk
         Constantin Kahn
         Nigel Metheringham
         Vlatimil Malinek
         Andrew Jones
         Thomas Neudecker
         Marcus HarveySak Wathanasin
         Scott Herzinger
         Jim Amundson
         J. Muller

Other sites include:
watmsg.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.9) in pub
mcsun.eu.net (192.16.202.140) in comp/mac/tex
watserv1.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.140) in freeware/mac
ditmela.mel.dit.csiro.au (128.250.90.81) in mac/OzTex
giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (128.146.8.61)
handies.ucar.edu (128.117.64.4) in pub/Mac/OzTex
mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (128.174.201.12) in mac
vega.hut.fi (130.233.200.42) in pub/mac/software
ugle.unit.no (129.241.1.97) in pub/tex/oztex-1.3
ditmela.mel.dit.csiro.au (128.250.90.81) in max/OzTex/oztex
kth.se (130.237.72.201) in macintosh/info-mac/new_in_9002xx
derro.ucc.su.oz.au (129.78.64.5) in archive/tex
extro.ucc.su.oz.au (129.78.64.1) in tex

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 09:00 EST
From: "James A. Muysenberg" <Muysenberg@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>
Subject: Mac II problems

          I just wanted to describe a problem we've had with a Macintosh
II, in case others experience the same thing.  The preliminary diagnosis
was a bad hard disk controller on the internal Rodime drive.

          While working away under MultiFinder, pull-down menus
wouldn't, icons/files/applications/folders disappeared, applications
wouldn't start, and various error messages appeared (e.g., missing
application, serious error - restart).  Restarting via the Special menu
(when it worked) or the "bomb" window would cause the Mac bootup icon to
appear with the question mark -- it couldn't find the hard disk.  Only
shutting down thru the Special menu (when it worked) or pushing the
reset button on the right rear of the Mac would allow a successful
startup.  In other words, only a complete power-off/power-on sequence
cleared the problem -- for a while.

          The problem would appear at unpredictable times.  One day the
system never had a problem.  The next day, the problem reared its ugly
head anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours after startup.

          I began associating an audible click with the problem.  After
hearing the click, I'd check for the problem and, sure enough, it was
there.  Suspecting the hard disk controller, I removed the cover.  (THAT
was an experience!) Now I could clearly hear something like a fan
shutting down (the disk platters stopping their rotation?) after the
click, and an LED on the disk controller would blick on and off in a set
pattern.

          We called a service technician who, not surprisingly, pulled
the Rodime disk out.  A few weeks passed, and the technician returned
with a new drive.  No word on the original drive, but we no longer have
a problem.

James A. Muysenberg           Romans 6:23

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 21:17:00 +1600
From: VANVLECK_TOM@prune.stanford.edu
Subject: Recovering Deleted Files

My wife called me in a panic on a Sunday night.  The book she'd been
writing had disappeared from her office Mac, while she sat there.  Her
whole folder was there one minute, gone the next. And she had no
backup.

She brought the Mac home, without deleting or creating any more files.
The company had SUM II, and we bought Norton Mac Utilities, and we
borrowed a copy of MacTools Deluxe: we tried them all, and found:

   PRODUCT       SPEED     RECOVERY           DOC
  Norton         fastest   best               simplest
  MacTools                 recovered fewest   most info
  SUM II         slowest   hardest to use

All three packages come with miscellaneous INITs and applications;
MacTools had the most useful stuff.

All three packages could recover files or partial files created by
Microsoft Word to floppies, but without names and dates.  Launching
Word on such files would loop or crash about half the time; more
wizardry was needed to read at least the text of such a file.  We got
about half the files back, and she had to retype the rest, and check
the recovered files for missing changes.

If her Mac at work had any disk recovery tools installed ahead of
time, undeleting would have been much more reliable.  Of course, if
she'd kept backups on a floppy, we wouldn't have had this trouble, you
say?  On Wednesday, her brand new, freshly formatted, backup floppy
went bad, eating two days' recovery work.  Disk First Aid said the
floppy was unrecoverable.  Norton fixed something in the header and
got all the files back.

(While the dust was settling I tried out the Norton package's disk
optimizer on my hard disk: it crashed after 30 minutes of optimizing,
about halfway through, with an "unknown error" message, but no files
lost.  A pleasant Norton tech support person called back quickly &
said, "gee, that bug has been elusive," and coached me through hex
patching of the extent table (brr).)

So. Nothing's safe for sure, especially with computers.
Our advice is
- make multiple backups of anything you really care about,
- keep more than one generation of backup,
- make sure the backup is readable before you trash the hard disk copy,
- install a disk recovery tool before you need it, and
- don't delete files after 9 PM.

Tom Van Vleck           <vanvleck_tom@tandem.com>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 18:52 PST
From: "Phil Jung.....Wherever you go, there you are. 8)" <PJUNG@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: SLOOOOW MacAvenue Quantum drive...

Hello all, this is my VERY FIRST posting....

I'm having an intermittent problem with my MacAvenue Protege 105meg external
drive....

Every couple of weeks or so, the drive access light indicates a continuous
activity light. For example, under Finder, when the screen redraws, it takes
a VEERRRRY long time to redisplay the contents of folders. One time, it took
nearly two minutes to redisplay a couple of folders I had on the screen.
When the activity light stays on continuously, I don't hear any of the normal
clicks that accompany head movement and otherwise normal activity.

What gives? I've tried just about everything from rebuilding the desktop to
even zapping the PRAM, and nothing. My last resort is to reformat the drive
and then map out any bad sectors.

Has anyone out there experienced this kind of behavior? Like I said, it only
happens once every couple of weeks, so I can never really know if anything I
have done has affected or improved the situation.

I must add that I've had the drive for about a year, and up until a couple
of months ago I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever, so it can't be
an INIT conflict. The only difference that I can think of is the more disk
space that I've cluttered up with my files and junk like that. I've tried to
speed things up by using DeskTop Manager INIT, but it still managed to freeze
up on me...

Here's the dirt on my system:

Mac SE, 4 megs RAM
Apple internal HD, a Miniscribe M8425-SCSI 206A, with a SCSI address of 0
The suspect MacAvenue Protege 105 external drive, with
     a Quantum P105S910-10-94x A.3. mechanism, and a SCSI address of 3.
     Two partitions, the larger one being 70 megs.

System and Finder 6.0.5
SuperMac SpeedCard installed
SuperMac SpeedCard INIT
Protege HD INIT
SuitCase II
SuperLaserSpool
Boomerang 2.0.2
SoundMaster 1.6.2
After Dark 2.0
Jump Start!
SuperClock 3.9
OnQue
WindChooser
WindowShade
Disinfectant 2.4 INIT
(I know, lots of junk installed, but like I said, everything worked fine the
 way it is up until a couple of months ago)

If any one of you kind-hearted souls could give me some idea of what the heck's
going on and how I could fix it, I would be extremely thankful from the very
bottom of my heart. (Gee, groveling's kind of fun.)

Reply to info-mac, or email me directly at:
        PJUNG@SCU.BITNET
 or     pjung%scu.bitnet@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu

Thanks again,

Phil Jung      8)    8-)   O)
Santa Clara University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:47:15 GMT
From: MBSFPAW%CMS.Manchester-Computing-Centre.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: System 7.0 & System Switcher

Hello,

Just adding a little experience on the topic of System 7.0

I am using a Mac SE30 5/40, and I received a version of System 7.0 beta4.

I was keen to play around with it, and went ahead in total confidence.
I have system switcher that allows me to go back and forth between my
English system, a French system and a Japanese system. So it is logical
I trusted sytem switcher to get me to 7.0 and back. Sure enought
IT WORKED, AND STILL WORKS. NO PROBLEMS. I run many inits, but have
reached a stable system. I cannot remember when is the last time I crashed.
(I even run Diskexpress II in monitor mode permanently, what confidence!)

I therefore cannot substanciate any of the previos claims of imminent
disaster (Touch Wood!)

Yesterday, at MacWorld, B'ham, I mentioned this to Apple personel,
investigating the why and how of Norton Utilities refusal to recognise
my harddisk after its invasion by 7.0. They explained all what
you already now about directory structures, but did not express any
concerns about 7.0 and 6.05 coexisting on the same disk.

That was my voice on the subject...

About MacWorld.

Disapointing show. Small and very limited in software houses present.
The demonstration of the Stylewriter was however impressive. It redefines
the concept of a personal printer for casual use, and what it should look
like! Well done Apple. I still think however that there is a need for
a slightly more robust and faster low end printer with networking
capabilitites. Like the HP Deswriter,... from Apple at a decent price!

Yours,

Alain Waha

End of Info-Mac Digest