info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 18 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 68

Today's Topics:

      [*] DeskZap 1.31
      [*] OneHand
      [*] TouchBASE demo
      Apple's New Products
      APPLELINK addressing & GRAY-SCALE/COLOR ?
      ASCII files and Personal Dictionary: The Answer
      Digicard file/print server recommendations
      Dvorak keyboard layout
      ethernet cards
      Good project for enterprising programmer
      Inquiry about TI laser
      Laws
      LC w/Apple 13 Hi-Res RGB Monitor
      Life
      MacCribbage Author ??
      Memory Manager Fx
      microEmacs 3.9e users sought
      NFNT editor -- is there one?
      Problem: System requests insertion of HD on shutdown
      problem with PrintMonitor?
      ResEdit 2.1 and "Pig Mode"...
      Screen Printing Problems
      System 7 Compatibility info
      TinCan
      TYPIST OCR
      VR question
      Wanted: Academic Accountic Software or Scripts
      Waterloo Script to Earth

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 12:27:53 EST
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: [*] DeskZap 1.31

This is DeskZap 1.31, the most recent version that I know of.

With DeskZap, you can:

* set the Finder information for a file (including the Protect bit)
* remove linefeeds, control characters, etc. from text files
* delete, rename, copy, and create files
* move files to different HFS folders
* create, delete, rename, and move HFS folders
* close open files

The archive is compressed with Compact Pro.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/desk-zap-131.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 91 14:31:59
From: Thomas.E.Leathrum@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [*] OneHand

Below is a BinHex-ed StuffIt archive containing an INIT called OneHand (v1.0)
and some documentation for it in a MSWord document.

Regards,
Tom Leathrum

[Archived as /info-mac/init/one-hand.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 09:00:53 -0800
From: krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Subject: [*] TouchBASE demo

Attached is a binhexed self-extracting archive. I'm posting this for Guy
Kawasaki. The archive contains a demo version of TouchBASE. Current list price
for the full version of TouchBASE is $125.00. Guy Kawasaki's description of
the product follows:

"TouchBASE is a multi-user desk accessory database to manage contacts,
customers, prospects, and members. It prints labels, envelopes, address books,
reports, and fax cover sheets. This is a demo version that is limited to
twenty-five records."

I have no affiliation with or interest in After Hours Software, the publisher
of TouchBASE, and I'm not getting anything for posting this. Guy Kawasaki is
an investor in TouchBASE, and is working almost full time on sales and
marketing activities for it. Send comments and questions to Guy at
76703.3031@compuserve.com

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/touch-base.hqx; 155K
             /info-mac/demo/touch-base-mac-contacts.hqx; 205K
             /info-mac/demo/touch-base-mac-consultants.hqx; 147K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 01:51:54 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Apple's New Products

Okay y'all, here are some questions I have for you. If responses could be
mailed to me, I'll summarize to the net.

Just obtained copies of Apple's new system disks that they have introduced
with their new products. Among which I have found a few bizarre details, and
new observations.

Almost all the new drivers that have been put out, the Stylewriter,
LS, LS-PREP, et al. have colour icon resources. Preparation for System 7.0?
Also, among the new drivers introduced, the Stylewriter Driver poses the
most interesting of puzzles. The STR resource seems to be stocked full of
blank STRs, and the occasional one that says: If the dot is filled, your
printer is set up for American size...and so go the resources. What are these
particular resources set up for? Is this the 'balloon help' I've heard
so little about?

Serial Switcher: Apple provided cdev that seems to be used only in conjunction
with their new laser printers. Not quite sure what it does. Does it speed up
serial transmission on the printer port? How does it do it? What function does
that serve?

True Type: If it is to be more effecient than the old system, then why on
earth are the font files it produces so much bigger? I'm including, with this
generalization the standard sizes of fonts in the 'old' NFNT,FONT formats
AND their corresponding ATM LWFN files. i.e. for the collection that apple
provides, the Times, Courier, Helvetica, and Symbol, with TBol, CourBol (?)
and HelBol, it occupies a grand total of 513k. The similar configuaration
in the 'old' system style was all of 450 odd k. (approxiamate of course,
because I don't remember exactly) This included, the 9,10,12,18,24,36,48,and
in a couple instances, 72pt sizes. Also, if I am to use TT and ATM, which
if I'm to believe the literature I've seen is not condemned, then I shouldn't
have to worry about having duplicates of the Times, Courier, Helvetica and
Symbol fonts. Fine. But does that mean that I am now strapped to TT/ATM
combo? Do files still maintain their proper font ids when transferred to
'other' Mac Systems that don't have TT? I think it would be correct to
assume that they do maintain their formatting. Is there any way we can directly
compare ATM with TT? Which is more effecient? Which is faster? better etc?

Also, the new laserwriter drivers have an all new icon format. Oooh, ahh...
Laserwriter version 6.1 is it the same in principle as the other laserwriter
version 6.0? what's different about it? Are the same hex patches still
applicable in order to have black/white the default? The hex patches I refer
to are the ones found in April MacUser.

Any more new surprises that Apple has sprung upon us? Why do they include
almost all the system disks, on apple.com (annonftp) except the one required
to install correctly any of the new printers? Installer asks for StyleWriter
Installation Disk, and to my knowledge I don't have it. I've looked about on
the ftp site, but don't seem to be able to locate it. Am I looking for
the wrong thing?

Well, that should do for now. If anybody knows the answers to any one of my
queries, would they please mail me directly? If there seems to be any interest
at all by people, I will summarize to the net.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 23:49:36 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: APPLELINK addressing & GRAY-SCALE/COLOR ?

On Sat, 16 Mar 1991 00:27:55 EST you said:
>Wavemetrics@applelink.apple.com
>
>This did not work from my Internet machine.

Insufficient information to diagnose the problem.  If Wavemetrics is
a valid user-id on Applelink, then the address is valid but could have
failed for any number of reasons.

The appropriate place to ask what went wrong is: info-nets@Think.Com, but
*PLEASE* send the headers from the failed mail if you want a definitive
answer.

>applelink.apple.com does not exist in the Internet environment.  You
>cannot ping, finger, mail, nor is it on the Network Information Center
>database.  I called Wavemetrics and learned that there is a way to reach

Lots of places aren't on the Internet itself but that doesn't make the
address unreachable.  Email to service@nic.ddn.mil with Subject
whois applelink should be sufficient to confirm that the NIC DOES know
about Applelink.  Your name server should too; the MX is Apple.Com, which
is on the Internet.

>wavemetrics%applelink.apple.com@apple.com

While that will work, it's not necessary (the address says that Apple.Com
can find Applelink.Apple.Com which is hardly a surprise).

I've sent mail to applelink.apple.com from BITNET, surely harder to do
than from the Internet :-)  Maybe your nameserver's MX was broken (all
kinds of transient errors can cause bounces which shouldn't have happened.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 10:51 N
From: "jordi@sc2a.unige.ch ==> S. Jordi, Geneva, Switzerland" <JORDI%sc2a.unige.ch@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ASCII files and Personal Dictionary: The Answer

Hi netters,
I asked last week to know how to convert ASCII files into Personal Dictionary.
The solution is simple. Thanks for all help (especially Zac and Adam).

The ASCII file must have one word per line. Put the Capital letters word at the
begining and sort them. Then put the lowercase words and sort them. Do not
enter blank lines. Save the file (if in Word, save it as Text Only).
Use a ressource editor like ResEdit. Click on your file, "Get Information..."
and modifiy the type box. This box contains TEXT, replace it by DICT ans save
the new modifications. That's all! Your file will be used as dictionary. You
have to open it in the Spelling window if you didn't save it as "Personal
Dictionary 1".

P.S. I used a french Word. So it is possible that "DICT" stands only for
the french word version. To know if your version will accept it, in ResEdit, get
the information of your standard "Personal Dictionary 1". The type box
contains what you have to type in the box of your ASCII file. But I think
it's "DICT" too.

Well, excuse me the way I speak English!

Hope it'll help someone.

Steve Jordi
Jordi@sicsun3.epfl.ch
Jordi@sc2a.unige.ch
CIS: 70143,3056

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1991 22:03 CST
From: Jim Phillips <2118PHILLIPS@vmsf.csd.mu.edu>
Subject: Digicard file/print server recommendations

A friend of mine is in charge of a 32 Mac-plus and 5 Imagewriter
word-processing lab running on local-talk connections.  Until now they have
been using a Mac II for print and file server functions (only it has a hard
drive) and it is exceedingly slow (they had to downgrade to Word 3.? so it
would run reasonably fast).  Now she is planning on getting a Digicard 80-Meg
file/print server running Mandrake software to take the place of the Mac II.
Does anyone have any experiences/recommendations I can pass on to her?  Reply
to me and I'll summarize to the net.

On a related topic, what about fried Plus power boards and broken Plus
keyboards?  Is there a way to fix or cheaply replace a Mac Plus keyboard?  Do
fans keep the power boards from going and what do you do if they do go?  Also,
ever heard of something called a Mac-Chimney?  Does it work, how much, and
where?

Thanks a lot!

James Phillips
2118phillips@vmsd.csd.mu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 13:50 PST
From: Robert Front <T121267%TWNCU865@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Dvorak keyboard layout

        On Fri,15 Mar1991,21:35-0500,Carl L. Gay asked:

        < Does anyone know where I can find a program that will
        < change my (extended) keyboard to the Dvorak  keyboard
        < layout?  I thought  I  heard mention of one some time
        < back, but I don't see it in the info-mac archives.

        Try pulling Keyboard Switcher from the  archives.   The  new
        version,  as  I  remember,  has  a setting that emulates the
        Dvorak keyboard.  I beleive the latest version  of  Keyboard
        Switcher is 1.9.2.

        -REF

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 06:47:26 EST
From: Ermanno Borra <borra@phy.ulaval.ca>
Subject: ethernet cards

I must buy an ethernet card for a MacII. Can somebody advice me on
what brand to buy?
Thanks,
 E.F. Borra

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1991 09:48:14 -0500
From: tdh@po.cwru.edu
Subject: Good project for enterprising programmer

I have a Mac II at home and a 486 clone at work that I run Windows on at
work.  Anyways, I've become rather fond of the way Windows handles its
menus.  You can either click on the menu title, hold the button down and
drag to your selection, like the Mac does.  However, you can also just
click once on the Menu title which causes the menu to fall down, and then
you click again on the selection you want, or elsewhere on the screen if
you want to cancel the menu.

Is there an init/cdev anywhere that allows one to have Windows-like control
of the menus?  If not, this might be a good project an adventuresome
programmer somewhere.  It doesn't seem like it would be too hard, but then
I've never programmed the Mac before so I can't say for sure.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 17:32:06 EST
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Inquiry about TI laser

Hi there,

Any TI microLaser printers (PS17 and PS35) owners out there?  The boss of a
friend of mine got stuck with a real lemon, and the service from the TI dealer
was nothing to brag about.  I was wondering if this was an isolated case or
what.  I'd appreciate it if you can share your experiences, good and bad.

Please respond to me directly, I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks.

						Hisham.

Bitnet: ABBOUD@CUA       	Internet: ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1991 13:45:49 +0100
From: Knut Mork <kmork@ulrik.uio.no>
Subject: Laws

I have some questions about ShareWare laws, and was hoping you could answer
them or knew someone who could.

Would writing shareware based completely on a commercial idea and then
sending around ASKING for money for it (not requiring) be considered
illegal plagerism?  Even if the shareware author is in a different country
than the original program company, calls it something else, and makes
menus, windows, graphics, source code, etc., all his own?

Essentially, is copying an idea from a commercial game into shareware
illegal?

--Knut Mork
ShareWare author

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 13:08:27 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LC w/Apple 13 Hi-Res RGB Monitor

On Sun, 17 Mar 91 12:29:27 EST you said:
>I am confused!  Help!  I thought that the MAC LC would support the Apple
>13" Hi-Res RGB monitor in 8-bit (256 color) mode!  I thought all that was
>needed was the MAC LC 512K VRAM SIMM ("For > Color Depth")!  But, I went
>to a ComputerLand store on Friday and was told by the salesman that the LC
>would definitely NOT support the 13" Hi-Res in 8-bit mode; only 4-bit (16
>color mode)!

Shame on you for going to ComputerLand!  They have a reputation dating back
to the Apple ][+ of not knowing from whence they speak and charging too much
money to boot.  Really, take names (get the name of the CLand sales person)
and mail a complaint to Apple in Cupertino -- the same folks who keep saying
"See your Apple dealer" HA!  It's the PS/2 which ComputerLand will try and
foist off on you which needs a special card to display more than 16 colors
(and darn little software that's compatible with it).

Needless to say the dingbat is WRONGO.  I've been to a couple of LC/IIsi
demos in the last week.  Both had a couple of VERY good Apple engineers
who were knowlegeable in depth about the monitor options.

There IS a video expansion RAM slot for the LC.  I didn't store the
designation trivia, but IF it's in there, it will drive the Apple 13 (AND
the Apple 12, and EVEN a VGA) monitor at 8-bit color depth.

Given all that, the natural question is: "If I can have 256 colors on a
cheapo VGA monitor, why would I want one of Apple's monitors?"  Answer:
The Apple monitors produce MUCH better displays (sharper, brighter colors).
The answer is Apple uses a higher scan rate.  So, even at the same number
of dots of resolution, the higher scan rate uses smaller dots.  That means
more precise overlay of dots to produce all those marvelous colors...  At
that point, I once again figure if I *really* need to know sometime, I'll
be able to look it up somewhere, so take the above explanation as partial
and approximate).

Why buy the 12" monitor instead of the 13"?  If you have an artist's eye,
the 13 DOES look better, but my kids and I would like the 12" fine.  I've
been staring into a 13" for 7 months now, so maybe I'd notice, but in the
store the LC screen beside the IIsi screen looked okay to me.  However, if
you EVER want to stick a //e (soon to be IIgs compatible, I'm told) card
into your LC you MUST have the 12" monitor.  Something about scan rates and
pixel sizes of the other monitors being incompatible with the video output
>From the Apple 2 compatibility card (that's a bummer; if I can have a somewhat
compatible Apple //e entirely in software display on the Apple 13" monitor,
why does the card have to be designed so that it will ONLY work in an LC
with ONLY one monitor -- cheaper to make that way I suppose :-(

There's likely to be an adapter card for the LC with a math coprocessor
(third party) real soon (so far as I know now, that card would preclude using
the slot for an Apple 2 card :-(, but there's alleged to be no hope for
adding an MMU (of course if 3rd parties can figure out a way to get color
>From a Mac Classic, then I'm prepared to believe anything is possible if
someone gets clever enough :-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 14:50:12 EST
From: mperry@sydvm1.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Life

G'Day all,
Has anyone seen a share/freeware version of Conway's Life? A simple "game"
that attempts to simulate biological organisms, and perhaps The Beginning Of
The Universe Itself (heavy reverb for that last part :-). I will summarise
to Info-Mac if people are interested ... ta.
Mark.  mperry@sydvm1.vnet.ibm.com  "My opinions only. Why? Are you a lawyer?"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 17:44:00 EST
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: MacCribbage Author ??

     In keeping with the recent discussion on praiseworthy shareware
authors, has anyone been successful in contacting Michael T. Houser,
the author of MacCribbage 0.8 ??  My letter to him at InterStellar
Software, Granby, MA containing bug reports and a check for the
requested shareware fee was never acknowledged, nor was the check
ever cashed.  Michael, if you're out there, please respond, as I
really enjoy playing the beta release (0.8) and would like to receive
the succeeding version(s) as it is available ....
							Cheers, Jim

Jim Love  <jeteye@cbl.umd.edu>  Univ. of Maryland System, Solomons

------------------------------

Date: 18 Mar 91 10:59:53 GMT
From: rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD)
Subject: Memory Manager Fx

In digest <9103130206.AA04353@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>I used the INIT for awhile on a IIci with 8 MB RAM.  I didn't notice any
>change in speed, but I did notice strange behavior leading to
>unexplained system hangs which went away when I removed the INIT.  I've
>lost count of the number of INIT's I'm running so no telling what sort of
>undesirable interaction could have occurred.  The peculiar behavior seems
>also to be associated with Rear Window MF (which works quite well under
>Finder alone) an otherwise VERY handy INIT I'd prefer to keep using.

I too have noticed that there do appear to be occasions when MMinit
appears to hang the system.  While it worked with no problems on my
IIsi for most software, there are a couple of programs that don't
seem to like MMinit.  I noticed that when you double click on a file
to launch it under some applications, the 'bus error' bomb occurs
just as the application finishes loading.  If you boot the application
and then load the file, everything is ok.  I checked to see if it
was a case of init conflicts by using Init/Cdev 3 to turn off all
other inits, and it DOES seem that MMinit causes problems in a *very
small* number of cases.

Will the Apple fix in system 7 have the same problems as MMinit?

------------------------------

Date: 17 Mar 1991 @ 17.09
From: ianf@random.se (Ian Feldman)
Subject: microEmacs 3.9e users sought

  Is there anybody out there in Netland that uses the microEmacs
  version 3.9e frequently and has managed to write macros using
  its crippled form of mE command language?  Accordingly to Earle
  Horton, who once ported this (and half of a later) version of mE
  to the Mac, it ought to be possible to dump its internal variables
  to a buffer with a suitable macro, thus making the results available
  for further manipulation. Only I still have to discover how...

  I do know of the version 3.10 of it, with full implementation of the
  command language, but unfortunately it is not stable enough to be
  considered usable.  Neither can I use the Alpha 3.5 editor ;-((

--Ian Feldman, <ianf@random.se>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 13:17 EST
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: NFNT editor -- is there one?

I see there is a utility that turns FONTs to NFNTs, and that there are
many FONT editors (including ResEdit, in a pinch); but ResEdit cannot edit
an NFNT. How *DO* I edit one?

Any help appreciated... thanks. Matt Neuburg = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 14:56:24 GMT
From: deckert@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Dirk Eckert)
Subject: Problem: System requests insertion of HD on shutdown

 have the following problem: With increasing frequency, the system will
ask for the insertion of the start-up HD at the end of the shutdown routine.
I do know that I can bypass this demand with command-., but eventually it
leads to problems with the directory of the harddrive. In case someone knows
a solution, here is my configuration: Mac SE 4/40 (Quantum), Dove 68030 acc.,
German system 6.0.4. Let me note, that the problem started reoccuring after
reformatting the drive. If anyone has a suggestion, my name is Dirk Eckert, internet: deckert@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 16:53:31 GMT-12:00
From: David Richards <DAVID@wcc.govt.nz>
Subject: problem with PrintMonitor?

I have a problem on a
Mac SE
System 6.04
Fonts installed with Suitcase 1.21
MultiFinder and Print Monitor.
When printing from Microsoft Word 4.0 and FreeHand 2.0 etc.
Printing to a LaserWriter IINT

It is as follows
Some fonts used in the document and TIFF files impored are not printed
(ie. they printout blank)

I have tried
printing direct (ie. bypassing the VAX spooler)
Turning off subsitiut fonts on the printer dialog box

When background printing is turned off, (ie. PrintMonitor) everything works!
It all works if MultiFinder is turned off.

One thing I have noticed, a message in the print dialog box

A screen font (bitmap version) of ... is being created etc. is displayed when
printing from finder or MultiFinder without PrintMonitor.

I Think this problem is something to do with Printer query etc.

My return address is wrong, please use "david@ccc.govt.nz" when replying.
David Richards

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 18:03 EDT
From: "G. Watts -- Rochester" <WATTS@urpas>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1 and "Pig Mode"...

Hi y'all,
  I just got a copy of ResEdit 2.1 (got the book "ResEdit Complete").  Boy, is
this thing a lot better!  I was tooling around the ResEdit program, and came
across some ALRT resources called "Oink On" and "Oink Off" (id 167 and 168).
They are dialogs to turn on and off Oink Mode (and have a picture of a pig in
them)...  What is Oink mode, or is this just the ResEdit programmers having
some fun and seeing who will the first sucker be...?

Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: gwatts@rutphy.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1991 19:30:22 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Screen Printing Problems

Hi folks,

I have an Imagewriter and a Deskwriter.  I used the apple fkey: caps
lock, command, shift 4, and got the Mac to print the screen using the
Imagewriter.  How can I get it to do it for the HP DeskWriter?
I want to use MacroMaker to create a acro so I can screen dump.

I suppose Flash it is an alternative, but I dont want to do that--too
involved.
Here's the setup:

Mac SE 2/40.  Imagewriter and Deskwriter w/AB box to switch back and
forth between the two (thanks to a helpful netter).  I have system
6.0.5 installed.

Please e-mail me directly.

Keep on Mac'in!

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)   ioconnor@sunrise.acs.syr.edu (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 15:44:29 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 Compatibility info

While I appreciate the effort Wayne Kauffman made in testing current
software for compatibility with System 7, it would be VERY helpful if
someone would copy/paste the data from those EXCEL spreadsheets into a
format more of us can actually read.  Alas, I don't do much financial
modeling, so Alan Porter's BiPlane is all the spreadsheet I need (much
cheaper than Excel :-)

I have MacWrite II which will read almost any word processor format
(including the MS Word ReadMe document in Wayne's archive) but maybe
TeachText files or just plain ASCII would be nicer to the World in
general.

If the assorted files were collected into one document, it would be much
easier to pass that information along to user group newsletter editors,
although if the information is in a format I can read, joining the files
isn't that big a deal.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 18:21:46 GMT-0400
From: jeff@picasso.ocis.temple.edu (Jeff Linder)
Subject: TinCan

I've heard about TinCan for the Mac, where can I get a copy?  Commercial?
Shareware?

E-mail replies to Jeff@picasso.ocis.temple.edu

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 22:47:33 CST
From: janus@ux.acs.umn.edu
Subject: TYPIST OCR

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest
Bcc:
Has anyone had more success than I have had getting the TYPIST
to give acceptable results?  I am using a MacIIci, 4 meg of RAM.
I haven't tried every possible permutation of settings, but my
correct reading of even simple fonts is somewhere around 5 to 10 %
accurate.

Any help or ideas?

Louis Janus--Dept of Scandinavian Studies--U of Minnesota--
Minneapolis, MN.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 16:35:48 +0200
From: kobi@BIMACS.CS.BIU.AC.IL (sambrano Kobi)
Subject: VR question

Hello Programmers!

Does anybody out there know how to use the Vertical Retrace Manager to
create memory resident utilities? I've been trying to get documentation,
but to no avail... I want to write an INIT in C that will run with the
VR queue, and I'm looking for help with the qElement stuff found in
Inside Mac.

   Thanks in advance,
     kobi@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 23:06:38 EST
From: pjk@corwin.eng.yale.edu
Subject: Wanted: Academic Accountic Software or Scripts

Greetings,

	Surely, there is someone out there who has set up an
accounting system, possibly based on 4th Dimension or Excel, to handle
the typical chores of administering grants and contracts in an
academic research group. Can someone share some lights as how could
one probe this issue? Thanks!

	Please reply to pjk@corwin.eng.yale.edu

-- P. J. Kindleman

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 07:15:26 PST
From: 9531sons%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini)
Subject: Waterloo Script to Earth

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Dear Nettters,

>I have yet another question.  Does anyone know of a program that can translate
>documents written in Waterloo script into something that can be read with
>in a Macintosh word processor?  Even if there is something out there that
>would strip out  all    the special codes and just leave a text file, hours
>could be saved manually deleting all those characters.

David - I haven't "scripted" anything for quiet a while, but I believe
you can "script to a file" (I think the DISK option was how this was
done).  What you have, then, is a file without any special "codes", just
text. Transfer that down to a Mac and into your favorite WP.  From there,
some clever substitutions can get you where you're going (I think).

Good luck,
				Jamie Sonsini
				UC Santa Barbara

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1991 20:15:08 +0000
From: Joshua Lieberman <josh@mpi.unibe.ch>

Date: Saturday, 16 March 1991 20:08 GMT
Subject: Mac Video for Sun Monitors

We sometimes have spare Sun workstation BW 17" and 19" monitors around.
Does anyone know of video cards for a Mac SE/30 which would be able to
drive these sorts of monitors (they look lonely sitting darkened in the
corner, while I peer into my little screen)?

Thanks.

Joshua Lieberman    MPI-Uni Bern  Switzerland  <josh@mpi.unibe.ch>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 22:51 EST
From: <MIJSMITH%IUBACS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

 I recently saw a short demo of the new stylewriter.  My feelings on the
printer are such.  The solid blacks tend to be a bit wavy, but the output is
very nice on letter quality.  The pages come out of the printer damp, but I
could not get it to smudge or smear.  It uses a bubble jet, so you cannot
 use the old syringe to refill the cartridge trick, and the paper feeder had
 a tendency to jam up.

The output was slow, but the size is very nice.  Sitting on its side, it takes
 up very little room, and it is very, very quiet.  Retail is suppose to be
around 595.(US)  My feelings personally is to go with the HP deskjet for
the price.  apple needs to work on the paper feed a bit more.

mike smith Indiana University
mijsmith@iurose.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest