info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/20/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 19 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 69

Today's Topics:

      [*] acur Picker 1.1
      [*] Almanac 1.91
      [*] Banana Junior
      [*] Cassette Labels 1.1
      [*] RlePict.sit.hqx
      ADB adaptor for a FatMac - Query
      APDA Asynchronous LaserWriter Driver 4.0 Query
      Apple File Exchange won't run
      Ascii characters & sorting/MS Word dictionaries
      Big Ben Sounds...
      Binhex .hqx files and Binhex 4.0/Stuffit Decode binhex
      Chooser and 6.0.7
      Connecting IBM Proprinter to MAC+
      Encoding folder-heirarchy for net?
      ftp daemon
      future macintoshes & LC
      How to fix crashed Scrapbook after filled too full?
      IIsi Compatibility
      LaTeX fonts
      MacCribbage
      Modula-2 compiler
      Museum software
      one hand
      Poll of info-mac subscribers who are Apple employees
      QUED/M Updater
      Resedit-fonts into files replies
      Riddler and other preschool software
      Science/Math Graphs in Excel. Sample macro file
      StyleWriter
      White Knight 11.10

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 14:52:34 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] acur Picker 1.1

Here is an acur Picker resource to be used with ResEdit 2.1. It
was written by Chris Reed of San Angelo TX. Just paste the
included resources into ResEdit and you
are all set.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/resedit-acur-picker.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 06:59:23 EST
From: mike%beow.uucp%gatech.edu@mathcs.emory.edu
Subject: [*] Almanac 1.91

Almanac 1.91 is the 1991 version of the Alamanc Stack, replacing
version 1.85. Aside from the correct yerar data, there is little
change. This stack calculates positions of the sun, moon and
planets, as well as a lot of other astronomical data. The stack is
$5 shareware to X Systems, 1789 Brandy Dr. COnyers, GA 30208. So
far I have ten (10) shareware payers. I am currentyl working on
version 2.0 which will be year-independent and do much more
calculations.

Mike Kamzierczak
mike%beow.uucp@gatech.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/almanac-191.hqx; 80K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 00:28 EST
From: "Life. Boy, what a hoot!" <ENGLISH@northeastern.edu>
Subject: [*] Banana Junior

Net folk,

	Here it is, the little Init/Cdev that will change your
HD icon to the infamous Banana Jr. 2000 Icon.  Go to it.

Enjoy.

Randy.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/banana-junior.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 14:00:50 EST
From: lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee)
Subject: [*] Cassette Labels 1.1

Included below is Cassette Labels 1.1, a HyperCard 2.0 stack for printing out
track-listings suitable for stuffing in a cassette case.  It can also be used
to catalogue your cassette collection.

Cassette Labels 1.1 is the successor to Cassette Labels 1.01, a HyperCard 1.2
stack.  It is NOT related to a similar stack called "Cassette Labeller 2.0" by
Shad Ahmad.

New in version 1.1 is support for HyperCard 2.0 (version 1.0x dies horribly if
you attempt to create a new card under HC 2.0) and vastly improved printing
quality on LaserWriters and non-Apple printers (a consequence of HC 2.0's
improved printer support).

Like Cassette Labels 1.0x, Cassette Labels 1.1 is freeware.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/cassette-labels-11.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 14:18:29 -0800
From: John Peterson <jp@apple.com>
Subject: [*] RlePict.sit.hqx

Enclosed is RlePict, an application that lets you display RLE files from
the Utah Raster Toolkit, and convert them to PICT files.  It requires a
Mac with 32 bit Color Quickdraw.

Cheers,
jp

[Archived as /info-mac/art/rle-to-pict.hqx; 46K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:56:46 IST
From: "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100%BGUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ADB adaptor for a FatMac - Query

Some of us out there are still using a FatMac!  My mother is one of them..
She is still using an old standard Apple keyboard which is malfuctioning
a lot.  I think I once saw an ADB adaptor being sold, which enables the
use of ADB keyboards with "old" Macs.

I would be very greatful if you can refer me to the company selling such
a product, pricing, or any other solutions to this problem.

                                                  Thank you.
                                                            Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 11:41:00 GMT
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: APDA Asynchronous LaserWriter Driver 4.0 Query

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 08:29:12 PST
> From: Ira_Scharfglass.El_Segundo@xerox.com
> Subject: APDA Asynchronous LaserWriter Driver 4.0 Query
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to connect an HP Laserjet IIP with an HP Postscript cartridge to a MAC
> IIx.  I thought I would use the APDA Laserwriter driver with a simple cable
> connected to the serial port on the IIP and the serial port on the Mac.  In
> reading the documentation from APDA, I'm not sure it will work.  They seem to
> want to use modems.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If I run it at
> 19.2, will it approach the speed of Appletalk?

The APDA Asynchronous (i.e serial RS232) LaserWriter Driver will let you connect
directly to your LaserWriter with a serial cable by selecting Direct.ACL in the
'Connect via' field in the Asynchronous LaserWriter dialog (which you get by
clicking on 'Modify' in the Chooser dialog).

We used to use the driver, and the speed factor is no problem: 'Document
printing at *9600* baud is accomplished at speeds similar to AppleTalk' - from
the manual.

I must make one serious caveat however. We *used* to use the driver. We stopped
because it stopped. It just decided one day that it wasn't going to work anymore
and that was that. Booting from the distribution floppy - no joy, re-installing
the system on our MacII - not a sausage! Just 'Application cannot print this
document due to an unkown error'.

We have tested the cable. We have ripped apart the cable. We have replaced the
Mac's motherboard in case it was a serial port problem. We have reset our PRAM
and pulled our hair. Zilch.

Anyway, why don't Apple give us an updated serial LaserWriter driver in the
standard system distribution? The version of the system on the APDA disk is 4.0!
Why are there no commercial serial LaserWriter drivers? With spooling? Anyone
got any ideas?

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 10:11 EST
From: <DSMITH%GUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple File Exchange won't run

I am having a maddening problem with my copy of Apple File Exchange.  It
doesn't work most of the time.  I have just tried to start it eight times,
each time getting an error with ID=02.  Once in a while, it will run after
only a few bombs.  This is not the norm, however, and many times I have
had to give up (as I did today) and try again at a later time.  I have tried
running AFE from my master disk, with the same results.

I'm really stumped.  It loads up what seems to be most of the program, and
then crashes with ID=02.  Unfortunately, I cannot determine when this
problem started, as I did not use AFE with any frequency until a few
months ago. It's possible that it's always been present on my system.

The setup: Mac SE w/FDHD, 1 MB RAM, 45 MB HD, System 6.0.4, Finder 6.1.4;
FunKey, Fruits of Passion, SfScrollInit, Disinfectant INIT.  I have also
installed a graphic as my Desktop with DeskScene Install.  The problem
persists even when I have uninstalled the DeskScene and removed all
extraneous INITs and CDEVs.

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.....

Benjamin Smith, DSMITH@GUVAX.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:44:50 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Ascii characters & sorting/MS Word dictionaries

I am in the process of making the latest in a series of Hungarian language
fonts. To date I have learned much from each try. I am now using Resedit to
create a keyboard for each user and one font. I wish to find an appropriate
ASCII character to use for o with double accent (sort of like an umlaut with
accents instead of dots). I am already using the characters generated by the
dead keys option/e and option/u (umlaut and accent). I wish for my font to be
used with MS Word dictionaries and any one of a number of databases. I wish
for them to sort properly (i.e., o w/ 2 accents before p, preferably after
o with umlaut). I wish for word to recognize that the two different characters
are capital and lower case of each other for use in dictionaries. I could
change o with a ^ (option i/then o) or o with tilde (option n then o) but I
was hoping for some insight from users. Thanks! --Pete
                             Are you out there, Mr. Falk????
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue 19 Mar 91 01:32:47-PST
From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@star3.stanford.edu>
Subject: Big Ben Sounds...

Hello all you Mac Digitizers!

I realize this isn't the most earth-shatteringly important request in the
world, but how would someone like to make a recording of Big Ben with the
quarterly chimes for use with SuperClock?  Or does this already exist?

Thanks in advance,
Elliot
elliot@star.stanford.edu
 ------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1991 21:08 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Binhex .hqx files and Binhex 4.0/Stuffit Decode binhex

Well, it seems that my assumption that BinHex 4.0 should be the
program of choice for decoding binhex files.  Thanks to all who
responded and told me that BinHex 4.0 has a problem with
decoding files with long file names.  Sure enough, if I give a file
a name over 27 characters, BinHex 4.0 chokes on it.  Easily solved
by simply renaming the file to a shorter name.  It turns out that
now that I directly FTP files with their names intact, instead of
using Macserve and having to rename the files myself from the
mysterious numbers that they are sent as, I have never before had
a binhex file with a very long name.  Mystery solved.

Thanks,
Greg Trimper    Trimper@here.there.everywhere

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 13:59:13 EST
From: "D. Bylsma" <UOG01162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Chooser and 6.0.7

Does anybody know how I can pre-format a document if the peripheral I intend
to be using is not available? e.g. I have an Imagewriter, and want to set
things up so that it would print on a Laserwriter. Previous to my upgrade
I would select the Laserwriter and the chooser would not find any printer
on the non-existent network, and it would say to ensure document page setup
is the setup for that of a Laserwriter. I would do so, and if need be,
I could generate a postscript file, using option-k or option-f. Or, if I was
feeling sneaky, I'd set background printing on, and print, and then grab the
file from the Spool folder and copy it to disk. But now, thanks to
Apple's new friendliness, I am told 'Sorry, the Printer Cannot be Used',
and then I can't get out of anything, I can't print using an Imagewriter
driver, nor can I print using the older 5.2 driver, I'm just left there
stranded, with the only option of closing everything again, and restarting.

What am I doing wrong? Better yet, why is Apple doing this to me? Is this
an attempt to force me to get a Laserwriter IINTX? How can I avoid this entire
mess? Any answers would be *greatly* appreciated. Please mail me directly.

Thanks

P.S. previously, I was operating using 6.0.4, and the corresponding
drivers, and *everything* worked fine. No bombs in system 6.0.7, but this
new feature is RATHER ANNOYING.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 09:09:02 CST
From: "Joseph Counsil, Research Engineer" <C0428@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: Connecting IBM Proprinter to MAC+

Does anyone have experience connecting an IBM Proprinter to a MAC+?

I guess that items to consider would be:
 -Serial communications port required on printer
 -Adapter cable with proper connectors at each end
 -Printer driver software for the MAC (perhaps biggest problem here?)

If you send replies to me, I will compile and post them to the net.

Thanks in advance.

-Joseph A. Counsil, C0428@UMRVMB.EDU-

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 13:09:26 PDT
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu
Subject: Encoding folder-heirarchy for net?

Does anybody know of a program (shareware preferably) that will encode a
complete heirarchy of folders, including desktop layout, and any files if
any that are within them, for network transmission?

I have a cute way to use Finder to organize information in a combined
heirarchial and geometric way: I simply create a bunch of nested
otherwise-empty folders. The name of each folder is the title of the
information, and the Get Info remarks have any details that won't fit in
the 31 character filenames.

I want to send such a folder to somebody on the net, but none of the
programs I've tried work correctly for this task:

BinHex 4.0 won't handle anything except a single file, no folders at all.
PackIt handles multiple files, but no folders at all.
Compact Pro handles folders but ignores any that don't have actual files
in them. Since all but my toplevel folder are empty, virtually the whole
structure is lost.
StuffIt 1.5.1 almost works correctly, but discards the desktop layout of
folders (it converts all folders to large-ICON view, and it rearranges
all contents into cleaned-up rows&columns).

Does anybody know of a program that does what StuffIt does, but also
encodes the desktop layout and Get Info remarks for each folder?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 00:33:06 PST
From: 6600dtam%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Marc "Tae-Kwon" Tamsky)
Subject: ftp daemon

I was wondering what kind of hardware did you need to connect up using
MacTCP?  Are you connected to a backbone or are you a localtalk site connected
through a router?

Let me know... thanks.
Marc Tamsky
6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 08:58:48 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: future macintoshes & LC

On Mon, 18 Mar 91 18:07:45 EST you said:
>On Sun, 17 Mar 91 12:54:34 EST Murph Sewall said:
>>(in spite of the fact that the //e card ONLY works with the Apple 12"
>monitor).
>Murph, I recently received a memo from my Apple rep that says that the
>Apple //e board does work with the 13" Apple Color RGB Monitor.  If it
>didn't, a friend at work will be very upset as he recently ordered the LC
>with the 13" monitor, Vram simm & Apple //e Card.

Hmm.  The person who told me that the card only works with the 12" monitor
was an ENGINEER employed by Apple who's assignment is the K-12 market.  He
was responding to my question about whether it would be possible to make
a NuBus adaptor for the //e card so I could put one in a IIci.  No, said he
because the card won't work with the 13" monitor and the 12" monitor won't
work on a IIci.

The LC has more video flexibility than any other Macintosh.  Perhaps it can
do something truly strange with the scan within the //e window on a 13"
monitor?

Maybe one of the technical gurus on this net can tell us which version of
Apple's story is the right one?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 11:08:34 PST
From: DORY%ORN.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: How to fix crashed Scrapbook after filled too full?

Can anyone offer suggestions for recovering material from a Scrapbook file
that has crashed after being filled too full?  That seems to happen after
the file size has grown to something in the neighborhood of 600K-800K.  It
has happened to two of us under varying circumstances.  Most recently under
system 6.0.3 while running a QuickBasic compiled stand-alone application

Bob Dory    E-Mail:  DORY%ORN.ESNET@NERSC.LLNL.GOV

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 19:55:39 -0500
From: Andrew.J.Greenshields@cyber.widener.edu
Subject: IIsi Compatibility

Hi All,

    A friend of mine just purchased a IIsi.  I took a load of my software
over to show him (he had never used a Mac prior to this).  Unfortunately,
some of the software didn't work (I use a 1Mb plus).  We had problems
with CheapBeep.  It hung the machine when we clicked on the icon.  This
is a pity, because I think CheapBeep is better than the sound cdev that
comes with the system.  Another one that gave us problems was finder sounds.
Actually, it didn't really give us problems, it gave us nothing at all!
The icon didn't appear when we booted the machine.  And there were no
sounds.  I definitely copied all the right files into the system folder.

  I also tried to load up studio session.  That hung when we tried to
run it.  Again this is a real bummer.  My friend has no idea of the
sound capabilities of his new toy!  Is it any coincidence that all these
problems are with programs that use sounds?

  Another problem is with his monitor.  He has the 13" colour monitor.  It
looks great, apart from a faint line that runs horizontally across the
monitor about one third of the way down.  The dealer said that all the
monitors were like that.  Mind you, this was a Computerland dealer!

Thanks in advance

Andy Greenshields
dxandy@cyber.widener.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 17:29:46 EST
From: jewettrj%snypotva.bitnet@omnigate.clarkson.edu
Subject: LaTeX fonts

I have downloaded OzTeX and am unable to convert a LaTeX file with it
because I do not have all of the necessary fonts.  I downloaded all of
the fonts that were shown in the OzTeX directory on tank.uchicago.edu.  Are
there more somewhere else or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance...

...Bob Jewett
   Academic Computing
   SUNY Potsdam

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1991 19:43:17 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: MacCribbage

I received an acknowledgement from Mike Houser.  He was pretty happy
I sent him some dough.  It took him a while--I received the thanks via
my VAX account.  He sent two letters, MS Word and MacWrite (nice touch) and
sent a few of his other shareware programs.  His email address is at Umass
or something--Im not sure where. I deleted it.

The version in the archives is it--so far.  There is no update.  But
for 5$, thats not so bad.  MacCribbage is a nice game.

Kieran  IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 8:22:28 EST
From: Andre Dumais <dre%RAMSEY.CS.LAURENTIAN.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modula-2 compiler

Fellow netters,
   I would like to thank everyone who sent me some mail re:M2 compiler
it was very helpful.  Sorry I couldn't thank you personally but I encountered
a few problems and lost your addresses.  I now have found a compiler at
bitnet
apple.com
/pub/ArchiveVol1

Thanx again,
Dre

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 08:42:37 +0200
From: Dov Peter Grobgeld <CFGROB%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Museum software

I have been placed in charge of the aquisition of software for the
science museum in Tel Aviv to be opened soon. We are about to receive a
number of computers from Apple and IBM. I am now looking for software to
be run on these machines. We need several types of software

   1. "Display programs" that can be run unattended or be controlled by
      keyboard and mouse during execution.

   2. "Educational programs" that can be used for 1/2 hour to an hour
      workshops.

Any software that fit under the general categories "Science and
technology" are of interest. These include

   o  Physics
   o  Astronomy
   o  Chemistry
   o  Biology
   o  Computer sciences
   o  Mathematics
   o  Engineering

Any references to software, both public domain and commersial, would be most
welcome.

Dov Grobgeld / cfgrob@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 13:34:28 EST
From: Steve Strassmann <straz@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: one hand

    Date: 12 Mar 91 14:31:59
    From: Thomas.E.Leathrum@mac.dartmouth.edu

    Below is a BinHex-ed StuffIt archive containing an INIT called
    OneHand (v1.0) and some documentation for it in a MSWord document.

    Regards,
    Tom Leathrum
    [Archived as /info-mac/init/one-hand.hqx; 9K]

Tom, why is your description so cryptic and uninformative? I wish you
could have included the least bit of explanation of what One Hand
actually does, so people don't have to download and unpack it in order
to find out.

As far as I can tell, it's an INIT which maps the whole qwerty
keyboard onto the numeric keypad. Presumably this makes life easier
for people who cannot or prefer not to use the whole width of the
normal keyboard for typing.

If so, it's even more important to *identify* this software to make it
easier for handicapped people to find it, especially if it's the kind
of thing they need!

Could the info-mac people please add the description above (or a
better one provided by Tom) to the archives? thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 09:03:56
From: rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu (Robert H. Zakon)
Subject: Poll of info-mac subscribers who are Apple employees

I am conducting a poll of info-mac subscribers who are Apple employees.  If you
fit this category (including the illustrious Student Reps), please send me
e-mail at rhz@po.cwru.edu with your name, position, work location, and, if you
want, what kinds of projects you are involved with.  In case there is interest
that this list be compiled and posted, please state if you would mind having
your name listed.  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 18:36:34 CST
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: QUED/M Updater

I have downloaded the updater to QUED/M 2.09 and the program runs but...
it can't see my copy of QUED/M.  I would expect it to match the type and
creator (I had my copy renamed), but it doesn't see it even when the name
matches exactly what the open dialog says it looks for.

Also, the info in the PUP (upgrader program) mention a separate document
that contains a list of actual changes to be made.  Is it not needed for
this upgrade?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:32:48 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Resedit-fonts into files replies

I asked on this net how to install a font in a file. I had tried this with an
MS Word document with no positive results.

Many people said to use Font/DA mover. This had been my original attempt, but
I tried again. When I clicked the Open button, I held the option key. It listed
all files and applications. When I tried opening the MS Word file and got:
"Sorry, the file could not be opened. It may be damaged or in use." I added a
resource fork with Resedit & then the file opened OK. Several people mentioned
that MS Word does not look in a file's resource fork, which appears to be the
problem. This also explains why this worked with Hypercard for someone.

As several people mentioned, adding a font to an application works. I'm
taking someone's advice to just use Suitcase. Thanks! --Pete

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 16:32:06 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Riddler and other preschool software

Hi. Anyone have details on the preschool game Riddler (by
Threshold). It was mentioned in one sentence in the latest
MacWorld but no details were given. Thanks.
By the way, what are some other good Mac preschool programs?
I know of Reader Rabbit, Math Rabbit + Blaster, The Playroom,
Katie's Farm, McGee, and PreSchool Pak. Hopefully there are other
commercial/shareware/freeware programs that some of you could tell
me about. Thanks again, Marsh
Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU
BITNET:   NU163467@NDSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 11:01:53 PST
From: DORY%ORN.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Science/Math Graphs in Excel. Sample macro file

Here is an Excel macro file I use to get scientific format plots from data
defined in Excel spreadsheets.  The data are assumed to be in column format,
with all the x's in the first column, first y value in the second column,
second in third, etc.  Names of the variables are assumed to be in the top
row of a rectangular array.  To use the macro, you make sure the macro file is
is open, select the rectangle of data values, and type a lower case g with the
option and 'daisy/apple' keys both held down.

Contents of the Macro file:
Row 1      column A                  Row 2      column B
graph xy  -  g                       Macro name  -  option command code
=COPY()                              Data (user-selected) to clipboard
=COLUMNS(SELECTION())                How many columns in selection?
=ECHO(FALSE)                         Screen update off (faster, less flash)
=NEW(2)                              Open a new window - type: chart
Remark: Parametric format >->        Data: ( y vs x, in columns)
=PASTE.SPECIAL(2,TRUE,TRUE)          Data: (x's - 1st col; labels - 1st row)
=GALLERY.SCATTER(3)                  Choose  chart style  (y vs x)
=IF($A$4>2,LEGEND(TRUE))             Display legend if multiple y's
=ECHO(TRUE)                          Screen update back on
=RETURN()                            Done

Ref: R. A. Dory  Computers in Physics, V4(5), p 558 (Sep/Oct 1990).

Note:  The macro has been given a keyboard shortcut by selecting the cell
A1 (contents:  graph xy  -  g ) and using the DEFINE NAME in the FORMULA
menu to define this as a function macro with a command-option key of "g".

Note:  The second column of comments is not required for operation of the macro

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 16:31 EST
From: Blues <HUTCHINS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: StyleWriter

Apple:  For personal use (i.e. not on a network or in situations where
print speed is important) the StyleWriter is probably an unbeatable
deal.  I've seen them advertised locally (central NY) for about $500
and they are available through my college's purchase program for $360.
I was able to play around with one last week and found it to be a bit
slow; text output was indistinguishable from LaserWriter output; solid
black areas (thankfully) appeared solid with no annoying little lines
running through them.  I would highly recommend it for students, small
businesses and home users who can't afford the new QuickDraw laser.

The bottom line:  There is no catch ...

Mike Hutchinson / HUTCHINS@ITHACA.BITNET / Ithaca College, NY

------------------------------

Date: 18 Mar 91 08:06:29 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: White Knight 11.10

                       Subject:                               Time:8:05 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          White Knight 11.10                     Date:3/18/91
I would like to send some mail to Scott Watson, programmer of Red Ryder . . .
White Knight 11.x. His only e-mail address listed is on the GEnie system. Does
anyone know an internet address for him or the internet formula to send to
GEnie?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 19:10:22 +0100
From: arnouilj@apo.esiee.fr (arnouij-jean-claude)

Hello from Paris !!

  Could some one tell me where I could find Macintalk ?

  Does there is a protection software who add rights (user,group,others) to files
and folders "a la" Unix ?

  I need a cross-compiler for the 8051 micro-controller on the Mac, does anyone
knows one ??

Thanx your answers and many excuses for my poor english !!!

 --------------
Jean-Claude ARNOUIL          email: arnouilj@apo.esiee.fr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 17:08:52 CST
From: jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (The Mad Hatter)

Hi!

	I have been trying to track down the creators of Kalidegraph, a
	scientific graphing package.  I've plowed through past issues of
	MacWorld, but I haven't found anything about them.  The lab that I
	have been managing has been using Cricket Graph (gag!) but I would
	like to try something better, and I've heard that Kalidegraph
	blows Cricket Graph out of the water.  Has anyone used Kalidegraph,
	and if so, how did you like it?  Have you also used Cricket Graph, and
	how does it compare to Cricket Graph?

		Thanx in advance!

       Jeff Wolman: jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest