info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/21/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 20 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 70

Today's Topics:

      7.0 FileSharing and GateKeeper
      Academic Accounting Software
      A question about FONT -> NFNT conversion.
      Automatic Indexing
      DOS-file-transfer via a Mac
      Embedding Postscript in MacWrite II documents
      Fonts: converting from Type 1 to Type 3 to Type 1.....
      Frozen Cursors and Such
      How To Reset The New Mac's
      IIsi Compatibility
      Imagewriter II problem
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #65
      I want to rent a slide recorder!
      Laws
      MacChimney
      Mac IIsi and FPU
      math coprocessor prices
      Max Apple Zoom 1.3 and Macintosh IIfx
      METAFONT on the mac
      QUED/M Updater
      RE>unmark all cards slownes
      Request & Bequest
      ResEdit 2.1 and Pig Mode - Congratulaions
      Scatchard Analysis again.
      StyleMaster
      Super Studio Session/Mac IIsi
      TeX vs. WYSIWYG
      The green Waterloo Script pods are everywhere!
      Trouble with an Apple CD ROM drive
      VersaTerm PRO Goes IP!
      Waterloo script translation

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 13:34 EST
From: Kenny <KFREUNDLICH@lucy.wellesley.edu>
Subject: 7.0 FileSharing and GateKeeper

We're beta testing System 7.0, and I can't seem to get FileSharing to
work with GateKeeper.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone figured out a workaround?
Does anyone know if the author of GateKeeper has released an update or
plans to release one?  (We're using version 1.1.1).

Kenny Freundlich
Academic Computing
Wellesley College

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 20:26:23 PST
From: "Anthony E. Siegman" <siegman@sierra.stanford.edu>
Subject: Academic Accounting Software

a program called Grant Tracker for the Macintosh written by Dr.
Kendric C. Smith at Stanford University and available from

   KCS Software
   927 Mears Court
   Stanford  CA  94305-1041
   415-493-7210

If you contact him, tell him Tony Siegman told you about his program.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 14:08:14 -0600
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: A question about FONT -> NFNT conversion.

In (I believe) Infomac #68, somebody mentioned a utility that would allow
FONT resources to be converted to NFNT resources.  I am assuming that this
would mean converting a bitmap font to a TrueType-compatible font (if I am
wrong, please correct me).
     If there is such a utility, could somebody send me some info on it?  Is
it Freeware/Shareware/commercial, etc?
     Also, if there is any such beast out there as an NFNT editor out there,
could somebody also give me a pointer to it?

Thanx a lot.  Please mail directly to me, etc. etc.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 08:38:26
From: jdb@mit.edu (James D. Bruce)
Subject: Automatic Indexing

I am looking for a Macintosh software package that will automatically index a
text document.  Ideally, the package would have provision for either a stop
list (i.e., a list of words not to be included in the index) or a list of
words/phrases to be indexed.  Provision for a second pass to create subentries
would be nice.  Finally, the ideal package would have a hypertext-like
function that would let you use the index to jump to the referenced text.

Many thanks........................................................jim bruce

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 11:00:09 CET
From: Michael Daether <BF5%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DOS-file-transfer via a Mac

Thanks to all that replied to my previous message, though most advice
was of the sort "How about reading the manuals ?"
But as the problem still remains, I will try to specify it again. I am
trying to download binary PC-files via a Mac. As I understand, the only
way to copy Files to a PC-readable disk is via Apple File Exchange.
This is okay with text files, but with binaries I tried the following:
I used ftp in binary mode to download the file from some internet archive
to my Mac. Then I used File Exchange with just Standard converter to
transfer the files to a PC-Disk. But the files were not executable on a
PC. I found out, that File Exchange does not do a one to one copy, but
is translating Hex 0A to Hex 0D (or was it the other way round?).

So again, how can I make a one to one copy of a Mac-File to a PC-disk?
I am using a Mac II with a german System Version D1-6.0.4 .

                                       MICHAEL DAETHER

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 18:30:41 -0500
From: grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Liam Grant)
Subject: Embedding Postscript in MacWrite II documents

Hello,
	I am interested in embedding Postscript code in MacWrite II
documents (as in the DRAFT message embedded in MS Word sample in the
archives).  I know I can do this in Word, but some of the people I
work with will only use MacWrite II.  Does anyone know if this can be
done in MacWrite II and how to do it ?
	Please reply direct to me at "grant@css.itd.nrl.navy.mil" and
I will summarize for info-mac.

Liam Grant, NRL, Code 5541, Washington, DC 20375-5000, (202) 767-2392

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 11:21:18 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fonts: converting from Type 1 to Type 3 to Type 1.....

Altsys' Fontographer will convert Type 3 fonts to Type 1 fonts
quite easily and painlessly.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 14:50:52 EST
From: Bull Durham <WCD@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Frozen Cursors and Such

This may be a Mac problem, a Microsoft Word problem, or both. It's
driving me bonkers so I'd appreciate any help or advice I can get.

>From time to time my system locks up while using MS Word 4.0. In
the middle of doing something the cursor simply freezes on the
screen, and the system has to be re-booted. The first occurrence
seems to be random, although I can make myself believe it's
associated with formatting changes. After that the cursor will
freeze when doing the simplest actions, like highlighting a
selection.

This continues until I "fix" the problem. Fixing it means taking the
"Word Settings (4)" document out of the System Folder and replacing
it with a virgin copy or one that I've saved elsewhere.

I've completely rebuilt the System several times, and now run a Mark
1 Mod 0 System 6.0.4 with no CDEVs or INITs save: those that come
with the system, Gatekeeper, SUM Shield, and things that talk to the
EtherNet. I've replaced Word from the locked original diskettes. Still
it happens.

The machine is a IIx that I use at work. At home I have a Plus with
every goofy CDEV and INIT under the sun on it (my kid loves 'em), the
same system 6.0.4, the same Word 4.0, but with *no* problems. Last
week in desperation I brought my hard drive in from home and
dumped the whole system onto the IIx, as well as the Word stuff.
Didn't help, the problem recurred a few days later. That's when I
went to the "clean" system that I run now (which doesn't help).

Whatcha think? Is there such a thing as a hardware virus? (It's not a
software virus, unless it's something the latest Disinfectant hasn't
met). If anyone has *any* ideas or advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Wayne Durham

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 91 00:51:04 GMT
From: steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell)
Subject: How To Reset The New Mac's

	Hmmm, it appears not very many people are familiar with the new mac
reset routines. As you may have noticed some of the new models do not have
a physical reset key. To reset the mac a combination of keys being pressed simuatnously will do the trick.

To reset any new mac - hit the following keys.

Control-Option-OpenApple   and the key with the "<" on it.

hope this helps some peolple with the reset problem.

steve h

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 11:41:09 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IIsi Compatibility

On Mon, 18 Mar 91 19:55:39 -0500 you said:
>some of the software didn't work (I use a 1Mb plus).  We had problems
>with CheapBeep.  It hung the machine when we clicked on the icon.  This

CheapBeep works on the IIci (as a cdev accessed from the control panel).
It should work on a IIsi, but I tossed it months ago in favor of the
SoundManagerPackage (in the sumex archive) which has MANY more features
(and also will work on a 1Mb+ :-)

>is a pity, because I think CheapBeep is better than the sound cdev that
>comes with the system.  Another one that gave us problems was finder sounds.

Everything is better than Apple's sound cdev :-)  Did you download the
most recent version of Finder Sound and Finder Sounds Configure?  I haven't
tried FS on a IIsi, but I have on a Mac+, SE/30, and IIci under systems
6.0.4, 6.0.5, and 6.0.7  it works on 'em all, so it should work on a IIsi.

>  I also tried to load up studio session.  That hung when we tried to

I don't have that one, but there are lots of apps that need to be updated
for the Mac II's (especially the *strange* one without the math coprocessor ;-)

>sound capabilities of his new toy!  Is it any coincidence that all these
>problems are with programs that use sounds?

Possibly; don't discard the sound cdev that comes with the IIsi because it
has features that aren't there (or aren't active) on most other Macs (the
LC excepted).

>  Another problem is with his monitor.  He has the 13" colour monitor.  It

Apple's 13" or Sony's?  Wasn't it the Sony monitor that someone said has
a visible line across the screen?  The Apple 13" I'm staring into has a
*very faint* line a couple of inches up from the bottom.  I have been
ignoring it for 7 months and wouldn't have noticed it had you not called
my attention to an alleged line...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 01:05:59 PST
From: Geoff Mulligan <mulligan@pa.dec.com>
Subject: Imagewriter II problem

I have a Mac IIcx with and Imagewriter II connected via the printer
port.

When I try to print anything, the first few lines are printed
correctly and then it starts printing gibberish.  This happens no
matter if I am printing in draft, faster or best.  The printer was
working just fine and I don't think that I have changed anything.

I am running Finder 6.1.5 and system 6.0.5.  I have installed
Imagewriter driver version 2.7 and I have ATM installed.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?  Please reply directly to me
as I am no longer on this list.

	geoff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 13:59:11 EST
From: walkere@cs.rpi.edu (Ellen Walker)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #65

Mike,

I suspect you have already received about 100 replies, but just in case
everyone thinks so:

You do not need encapsulated postscript to incorporate into word.  Just open
the postscript file (as text) in word, copy it to the clipboard (you may do
this in pieces if it's too long) and paste it into your document where you
want the picture to go.  Immediately after the last line of the postscript,
create an empty "picture frame"  using the Insert Graphics command.  You can
use the handles to resize this frame to match the size of your postscript
picture.

At the beginning of the postscript, add the command .pic.  (periods
necessary)  Also, remove the "showpage" from the end.  Finally, put all the
postscript (including the .pic. command) in the PostScript style.  Make sure
"show hidden text" is off.  Now when you print the page, the postscript
picture will be printed in the "picture frame" you created

See "Postscript" in the Word ref. manual for more

Ellen Walker
walkere@turing.cs.rpi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 13:40 CST
From: RBASOW@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Subject: I want to rent a slide recorder!

I would like to rent/lease a slide recorder for a month and have been
unable to locate a business that has one available.  If you know of a place
that has one available, PLEASE send me a message!
It doesn't matter what part of the country the business is in.
Thanks in advance for your much needed advice!
--Clay

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 09:28:12 PST
From: Gary Greene <garyg@zip.convergent.com>
Subject: Laws

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Would writing shareware based completely on a commercial idea and then
>sending around ASKING for money for it (not requiring) be considered
>illegal plagerism?  Even if the shareware author is in a different country
>than the original program company, calls it something else, and makes
>menus, windows, graphics, source code, etc., all his own?

Knut, a lot depends on what you propose, but the short answer is Yes its
illegal because its not the code alone (or the windowing, etc) that is
protected, but the IDEAS which are protected.  Ideas which are not protected
are those which are so old or so common as to have entered the public
domain.  The computer game Empire is a good example of this, or some
implementation of Contract Bridge, or Poker, etc.  Most of this is covered
by International Convention so what country you live in likely will not
matter.  I believe Norway is signatory to that convention.

Gary Greene
Unisys/Convergent Technology
San Jose, California			garyg@convergent.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 11:15 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: MacChimney

Jim Phillips was asking about MacChimney:

According to the latest Macintosh Bible (p. 270), Tom Swain, the inventor and
manufacturer of MacChimney, wasn't selling enough of them to stay in business.
They are therefore no longer available.

Mark Nutter [MANUTTER@IUP]
Apple Support Manager, Indiana University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 91 12:21:09
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: Mac IIsi and FPU

                       Subject:                               Time:12:08 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Mac IIsi and FPU                       Date:3/20/91
Hi netters:

Here is the situation:
In order to have a Floating Point Unit (FPU) in a Mac IIsi, I know of two
possibilities proposed by Apple: the NuBus Adapter Card or the 030 Direct Slot
Adapter Card. Both of them can be installed by the customer.
Here is the question:
Are there any other alternatives to these two cards just to have a FPU ?
Remarks about your experience, trade-offs in capabilities and performance,
prices, Apple or other party, availability are very welcome.
Thanx in advance.

Thierry Jurand
Internet: Thierry_Jurand@cbis.ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 20:37:27 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: math coprocessor prices

I am considering purchasing a Modius Full-Page Display with 030
accelerator for my SE ($995.00).  The Mobius price for the 25Mhz
68882 FPU is $249.  Is there a cheaper source for the coprocessor?
(The Mobius folks said it is a standard item)

Thanks,
Kirke Lawton                  lawk@uorvm

------------------------------

Date: 20 MAR 91 12:50:25.13-GMT
From: RAYNAUD%FRESE51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Max Apple Zoom 1.3 and Macintosh IIfx

  I experienced various strange behavior from Max Apple Zoom on my
Macintosh IIfx. Even the 1.3 release would claim it couldn't work on my
system. The only point where MAZ is wrong is that the video card is able to
run MAZ, I know it since it had worked with that very same video card
for a long time. And suddenly, on the IIfx MAZ refuses to work, or simply
bombs.

  Recently, I installed Systeme 7b4, and MAZ claimed it could work on that
system, but there was a bomb at startup. Anyway, by just exiting to shell
with MacsBug, MAZ would accomplish its action.

  After a little hacking, I found out that probably it was the MAZ draing
its icon at startup that made things bomb. So I removed the _PlotCIcon,
and it worked fine ! So here is the hack : open MAZ 1.3 with ResEdit,
open the resource called INIT ID=1, search for the hex string AA1F (it should
follow 2F2E 000A), and replace it with 4E71 (which is the code for NOP). On
my version, this was located at offset D98, but might be different.

  I have no precise idea why it didn't work before, and why works after that
modification. If you have any information on that subject, please tell me !
I would like to know for instance if I am the only one to have trouble
with MAZ 1.3 on a IIfx.

Alain Raynaud <Raynaud@Frese51.Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 16:58
From: "Peter Maurer"                              <RY06%DKAUNI2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: METAFONT on the mac

Hi,

Does anybody know wether there is any METAFONT version for the MAC ?
If yes, where can I find it. Please tell me of your experiences.

                                    Thanks in advance
                                       Peter Maurer
                                       RY06@DKAUNI2

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 13:29 ADT
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: QUED/M Updater

I had the same problem. Using an exact copy of my master solved it.
Someone suggested that the modification date may be relevant. I
haven't checked this out.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 12:02:46 PST
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: RE>unmark all cards slownes

Date    3/19/91
Subject RE>unmark all cards slownes
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

        Reply to:   RE>unmark all cards slowness
And the answer is ...
It's a bug and it's been fixed in HyperCard 2.0v2
Thanks to all who responded: Mike Dustan, Samuel A.Rebelsky, John Kevin
Calhoun, Alberto Ricci, Bruce Carter

Kee Nethery, IRL, nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 21:58 CST
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Request & Bequest

Does anyone know of a card game called 'Pepper' for the Mac?  I have tried my
usual sources (sumex, search on archie) to no avail.

BTW, I also download files from GEnie and just downloaded a few more Type 1
fonts...is anyone interested in having more Type 1 fonts available at sumex?

-Tom            GEnie: T. Hausmann

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 10:58:30 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit 2.1 and Pig Mode - Congratulaions

Congratulations to Gordon Watts <WATTS@urpas>!

He is the first person to discover the "Pig Mode" in ResEdit 2.1 - although
not through the regular way, but by opening ResEdit using ResEdit itself.

The regular way to find "Pig Mode" is to press Cmd-Opt-Shft and then to
choose "About ResEdit" from the Apple menu. This leads to a dialog which
asks you whether you want to turn "Pig Mode" on or not. Going through the
same procedure a second time will also allow you to turn off "Pig Mode" again.

There is also a second (hidden) about screen in ResEdit, which you can
invoke by pressing Cmd-Opt and then choosing "About ResEdit". If you can't
access "Pig Mode" or the hidden about screen using the above methods, then
you are very likely using a utility such as "SuitCase II", which attributes
a special meaning to the modifier keys when accessing the Apple menu. To
bypass this feature, all you have to do is press the modifier keys and first
click into the File menu. Then move the mouse to the Apple menu an you will
be able to access the "About ResEdit" command.

Best regards,

Alexander Falk

P.S.: Oh, by the way, in case you wonder WHAT exactly "Pig Mode" is, this
      is in no way a joke by the programmers of ResEdit. It has been in
      ResEdit ever since and is used as a debugging aid. All it does is
      activate certain stressing functions in ResEdit to test operation
      under low memory conditions (such as purging and moving blocks
      every time ResEdit goes through its main event loop). So as a user
      you probably DON'T want to activate it, because it will only slow
      down ResEdit a lot.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91  13:14 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scatchard Analysis again.

Dear All,

A short while ago, I posted a request about Scatchard Analysis progs,
namely were there any decent programs out there capable of doing them in a
sensible and reasonable fashion. So far I have received 0 (no, none, zero)
replies. Does this mean that those wishing to study enzyme/receptor kinetics
have to use IBMs? Just in case this "nightmare scenario" turns out not to
be necessary I shall reiterate the original query:-

"Are there any decent programs for Scatchard Analysis out there?"

In fact, I would probably settle for any program, decent or otherwise,
provided it did there job. There must be one somewhere, musn't there?

Bignose. (Andy Law)    (LAWA @ UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 13:56 EST
From: Thomas R. Blake <TBLAKE%BINGVAXA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: StyleMaster

Folks,

    A friend has asked me to look for an INIT/CDEV which will provide text
styles via a pull-down menu (similar to the Windows INIT).  So that he could
define a style, (18 Point Times-Boldface for instance), and in *any*
application choose this style from the menu.

    I have never heard of such a thingy, but you have to admit, it has obvious
applications.  Have any of you with your ears closer to the ground heard of
such a thing?

                                                        Tom Blake
                                                        SUNY-Binghamton

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 09:32:36 EST
From: jimb@caen.engin.umich.edu (James V Burmeister)
Subject: Super Studio Session/Mac IIsi

Has anyone tried to use the program Super Studion Session on a Mac IIsi?
I have the original Studio Session, which does not work, but I hoped that
maybe Super S. S. would.  Please respond to me, & I will summarize...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 11:40:23 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TeX vs. WYSIWYG

TeX may be THE way to typeset mathematical equations.  But it is NOT
THE way to typeset in Burmese, Cherokee, Gujurati, Sanskrit, Tamil, Tibetan,
or Hittite. Particularly if you're trying to mix Roman text with them.

I imagine that vis-a-vis Hittite TeX is better than a stylus and clay
tablet. Still, I think things are hard enough to read without
extraneous junk on the screen.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: 19 March 1991 12:48:31 CST
From: "Richard K. Wolf (312) 996-9664" <U16480%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The green Waterloo Script pods are everywhere!

Waterloo Script is un-earthly!  :-)  Do you remember this . . . ?

>> Dear Nettters,
>>
>> I have yet another question.  Does anyone know of a program that can
>> translate documents written in Waterloo script into something that can
>> be read with in a Macintosh word processor?  Even if there is
>> something out there that would strip out all the special codes and
>> just leave a text file, hours could be saved manually deleting all
>> those characters.

> David - I haven't "scripted" anything for quiet a while, but I believe
> you can "script to a file" (I think the DISK option was how this was
> done).  What you have, then, is a file without any special "codes",
> just text. Transfer that down to a Mac and into your favorite WP.  From
> there, some clever substitutions can get you where you're going (I
> think).
>
> Good luck,
>     Jamie Sonsini
>     UC Santa Barbara

Whoops!  DISK is a default option in Waterloo Script.  It directs
Script to create a filetype (in CMS) of LISTING with nasty control
characters in column one.

I think the option you were looking for, and the one which I told
Dave to use, is MEMO.  That creates a file with filetype MEMO _without_
carriage control characters.  I also advised that he turn justification
off (.ju off) in order to prevent Script from trying to put blanks
in the text.  That way, he could import the file, getting rid of line
breaks, and let the Mac take care of justification.  There is no doubt
other tweaking that could be done.  I'd probably include a line like
this:

     .ju off;.hm 0;.hs 0;.tm 0;.fm 0;.fs 0;.bm 0

This stops Script from putting in page numbers (nowhere to put them) and
prevents it from leaving extra space for headers/top margin and footers/
bottom margin.

Of course, you must necessarily lose any special formatting (such as
bold) that would normally be part of the output generated from Script.
Also, some adjusting of the file from the Mac side would almost
certainly be necessary.

Hope this helps those already infected by the Waterloo Script pods!

Richard K. Wolf
University of Illinios at Chicago
U42641@UICVM.BITNET
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 22:47 PST
From: <CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Trouble with an Apple CD ROM drive

I have an Apple CD SC drive. Lately it has started doing something
very annoying. I'll insert a CD, and the busy light will come on,
and the whole system will hang. Sometimes, I can push the manual
eject button, and get the disk to pop out, then the Finder puts
up a dialog saying that the disc was unrecognized, and would I
care to format it (I kid you not; proof positive that the Mac is
as stupid as any other computer).

There appears to be no pattern to this. At other times, the drive
works perfectly. This kind of problem fills me with dread, because
I know it will be impossible to reproduce for a service tech.

I would like to hear from any other owners of this drive who have
had similar problems. Thanks. My email address is condof@clargrad
on Bitnet, or condof@clargrad.claremont.edu.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 09:37:55 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: VersaTerm PRO Goes IP!

Kurt wrote about how well VersaTerm and VersaTerm PRO works for Tektronix
emulation.  He then mentioned that if you wanted Telnet and FTP you should go
with NCSA Telnet.

This is no longer true!

VersaTerm has gone IP! I have been beta testing a suite of connection tools
written for VersaTerm.  They work with MacTCP, which is provided.  They
include Telnet access, FTP client and server tools, a VersaTerm server (for
sharing your Ethernet card if you don't have a bridge), and all the wonderful
features of VersaTerm as usual, including the extensive Tektronix graphics
support.  There are also a couple of tools that I am unsure about their
release plans.  I've been testing an FTP server Control Panel Device and a
Network Clock setter cdev, but they don't seem to be on the first release disk
that I just got.

I have been comparing VersaTerm's Telnet tool to DEC's CTerm tool and I find
VersaTerm to be faster and more responsive.  Plus it doesn't require the
overhead memory that the DECnet stuff does.

VersaTerm's features are impossible to beat (although NCSA Telnet is free, it
can live up to its price).  The support is incredible too.  I talked with
Lonnie Abelbeck at MacWorld several years ago and he has been incorporating my
ideas and needs into VersaTerm ever since then.  I just call him on the phone
at the number listed in the manual.  Who needs Tech Support when you can talk
to the author? You can't beat service like that.

VersaTerm PRO is, by far, the emulator of choice.

Jon Pugh
pugh@ccc.nersc.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, Mar 19, 1991 12:44:46 PM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Waterloo script translation

Waterloo script translation

I'd recommend looking at Nisus from Paragon Concepts to do any sort of
mainframe to micro file translation. Nisus sports a relatively full
implementation of the Unix GREP (global regular expression parser) and can thus
search for patterns of text (find me 5 digits, a dash, and then four more
digits, to find a 9 digit zip, for instance). Because of this, Nisus is
excellent at any sort of text massaging. I used it a little while ago to take a
CMS nicknames file and turn it into a text file that I could import into
QuickMail. It took a little while, but was far easier than retyping.

-Adam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 09:43 EDT
From: Carl Zimmerman <ECZMRMN%wooster.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Friends,

Would someone please download the Mac tn3270 terminal emulation and
accompanying documentation from Brown U to the info-mac archives?  The software
might be useful to many info-mac subscribers.  Thanks.

Carl Zimmerman, Academic Computing Services
The College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio
ECZmrmn@Wooster.bitnet

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 11:57:40 AST
From: "STEW" <SWALKER%MTA@unbmvs1.csd.unb.ca>

Can a MacIIfx running A/UX 2.0 to perform Internet nameserving also be used as a
n Internet netnews SERVER ??
- swalker@mta.bitnet

End of Info-Mac Digest