info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/22/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 21 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 71

Today's Topics:

      [*] Furioso Titling, a Type 1 PostScript shareware font
      [*] LPunch 1.1
      [*] Suitcase 1.2.9 updater
      [*] util/DeHQX-105.hqx
      color on SE/30
      Coprocessor for LC
      Copyright
      ftp'ing
      hard disk protection
      HyperCard postscript printing
      IIsi problems
      Importing Postscript into OzTeX?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #70
      Internet <-> AppleLink
      Kaleidagraph
      Line on some monitors
      Looking for Oberon
      Mac Programming Lists
      More Laws
      On emore quick question
      ORB MAZEZ on 12" RGB?
      playing AIFF files?
      Postscript.help file
      printing on OMNI postscript laser
      Public Folder like "TOPS" init wanted...
      QUED/M Updater
      System 7.0b4 Problems
      System 7.0b4 query
      Telnet and FTP questions....
      Trouble with Apple CDSC
      Two quick ones.
      Various Things
      Works 2a Patch
      X11 on the MAC
      ZMODEM Files (I need help!)

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 15 Mar 91 08:21:55 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: [*] Furioso Titling, a Type 1 PostScript shareware font

Furioso Titling is a font I executed & own all rights to. It is a subset of
the font Furioso, containing the capital letters, the numerals, and a few
punctuation marks. I am offering it as shareware to the networld, but
retaining the copyright, etc.

For a small registration fee (see TEXT file accompanying the font), I will
send a disk containing the full Furioso font: cap and lower case,
alternate capitals, all punctuation, foreign & special characters,
etc. Also, a few photocopied pages explaining the history of the
face (originally designed in 1935 by Berthold Wolpe) & other tidbits.

You may distribute this archive to other locations, but you must distribute
it intact. It contains: Type 1 PS downloadable printer font (ATM
compatible); Macintosh bitmap screen fonts; AFM (Adobe Font Metrics)
file for those who need it.

Enjoy. - - Glenn Fleishman, Yale University Printing Service

[Archived as /info-mac/font/furioso-titling.hqx; 69K]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 91 12:50:38 GMT
From: franconi@irst.it (Enrico Franconi )
Subject: [*] LPunch 1.1

Here is the revised version of LPunch (1.1)
The previous version (1.0) did not work on 68030 machines (my
compilation fault). The new version has a nicer interface and
includes a text editor.
LPunch converts a <LISTSERV Punch> formatted file into a text
file. A LISTSERV Punch formatted file is generated by a LISTSERV
mailing-list server. This format is used if the file being sent
through the network is larger than a card image (80 characters).

Enrico Franconi
IRST, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
I-38050 Povo TN, ITALY

[Archived as /info-mac/util/lpunch-11.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 09:48:31 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: [*] Suitcase 1.2.9 updater

    Apparently there were a few problems with Suitcase 1.2.8. Here is the
    updater to the next version. Read the instructions at run-time for
    more information. (It is now system 7.0b1 compatible, apparently.)

    Glenn Fleishman
    Yale University Printing Service

[Archived as /info-mac/util/suitcase-ii-129-updater.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 15:10 +8:00
From: Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au
Subject: [*] util/DeHQX-105.hqx

   DeHQX v1.0.5 is an application for decoding BinHex 4.0 encoded documents.
Its features include - Dehqxing a single file or an entire folder,
files may include all headers and part seperators that normally appear
in comp.binaries.mac files, and may be split over multiple files.  There is
no more need to join the parts together, or to manually edit out the part
seperators.
   DeHQX v1.0.5 is Free for all non-commertial purposes, and the source
code is also available. If you use DeHQX, please drop me a note!
Hope you like it,
   Peter.

DeHQX v1.0.5, (C) Mar 1991, Peter Lewis <Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au>

[Archived as /info-mac/util/dehqx-105.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 91 20:34:31 GMT
From: kpottie@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl)
Subject: color on SE/30

I'm looking for a color card + display for my SE/30. Any experiences
regarding this subject are welcome, especially those from Europe.

Are there e.g. cards available to hook up the SE/30 to a VGA/multisync
monitor ? Since VGA displays are reasonable cheap, this could lower the
price a bit.

I've asked this before, but there were no responses, so don't think:
'other people will reply to this mail'. If you got anything sensible to
say about this, please reply.

Karl

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be
ghgaqz0@blekul11.bitnet

BELGIUM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 15:14:17 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Coprocessor for LC

I recently compared the running speed of a Neural Networks application
on a IIcx and an LC. Learning takes place about ten times faster on the
IIcx. Part of this is no doubt due to the difference between an 020 and
an 030, but most of it, I suspect, is because the LC lacks a 68882.

Novy Systems has come out with a QuikMath/LC card, which I have purchased
and will report on when it arrives. However, others thinking of going
this route should be aware that you can get the card  from System Technology
at 904-428-0411, fax 0765, for $149 right now, with perhaps a 15% discount
if you give a university address (it works if you give mine!). But from
April 1, the price will be $299.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 07:05 CDT
From: BENSMANM%MEMSTVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Copyright

You cannot protect ideas under copyright; only their concrete form as
created. Thus, you can write a computer program as long as it does not
use code created by another and does not have look and feel of other
program. That is what some companies are doing; trying to recreate
MAC Roms by independent work (difficult). In rest of world there is
"moral rights" which can be problem, but most do not protect ideas;
only their form. The above is not legal advice, but an educational service.
Marvin R. Bensman, J.D., Ph.D.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 18:11:47 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: ftp'ing

Hi.  I am interested to know if there is software that lets you ftp
directly to a remote host from your Mac.  Currently, I connect to our
mainframe (running CMS) via ethernet, using tn3270.  I then start an ftp
session from my CMS account to whatever site I am looking at.  (And of course,
getting the file to my Mac involves starting an ftp session with it, and
putting the files there, via the ftp command.)  This method has worked fine,
but I would like to cut out the intervening step of having to download to
my CMS account, and instead ftp directly from the Mac to whatever remote
site there is.
Any help appreciated.

C. Jones

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 13:48 EST
From: VAX Academic Support <COLMENARES%FORDMURH.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: hard disk protection

Thanks to those of you who responded to my inquiry regarding hard disk
protection software. I'm in the process of compiling all reponses into
a shorter document and will post the summary as soon as I'm done.

In the meantime, I'd like to know if TeX/LaTeX is available for the
Macintosh, preferably in a shareware or public domain version.

Many thanks,

Josephine Colmenares
Fordham University
colmenares@fordmurh via BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 91  9:08 -0800
From: John Fyfe <jfyfe@ocgy.ubc.ca>
Subject: HyperCard postscript printing

How do you save a postscript file to disk from within
HyperCard?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 21:42:13 -0500
From: Andrew.J.Greenshields@cyber.widener.edu
Subject: IIsi problems

  I would like to thank all of the people who wrote to me about the
13" monitor line and the problems we had with sounds on the IIsi.  The
line turned out to be a 'feature' of the screen and not a fault.  The
problem with the sounds is probably due the change in the way the
new system handles sounds.  I have passed the info along to my friend, who
is fairly new to computers and was amazed by internet and the response I
got to the questions.  He is also very grateful.

Thanks again,

Andy Greenshields
dxandy@cyber.widener.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 18:54:47 CST
From: emery@cs.utexas.edu (Emery Berger)
Subject: Importing Postscript into OzTeX?

  I'm using OzTeX and would like to be able to include a PostScript
file (or, more to the point, a MacDraw document) as a figure in my
document.  I've tried to use psfig, a set of macros which is supposed
to provide this, but have had no luck getting it to work.  Has anyone
out there either gotten psfig to work or figured out another way to
import Mac drawings / PostScript files into LaTeX (in OzTeX)?

 ---
Emery Berger (emery@cs.utexas.edu)
Applied Research Laboratories
University of Texas at Austin

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 91 11:50 +0000
From: John_WATROUS%01%SRJC@odie.santarosa.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #70

Is anyone using Bech Tech's MacMovies program on newer (6.0>)
systems?  And do you have shortcuts which are faster than the
ones suggested by Bech Tech (which is now another Company, I know)?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 21:27 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Internet <-> AppleLink

To send e-mail to AppleLink, send your mail to the AppleLink address followed
by @AppleLink.Apple.com .
To send e-mail to CompuServe, send it to the CompuServe address, using a period
'.' instead of a comma ',', followed by @CompuServe.com .

Does anybody know if there is such a thing for America Online?

Thanks,
Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 07:31:50 EST
From: Orlando_Portale@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Kaleidagraph

Yes, Kaleidagraph is produced by Synergy Systems, 2457 Perkiomen Ave.
Reading, PA 19606.  Phone number is (215) 779-0522. It is an excellent
program...
Orlando Portale, University of Michigan.  H058@hosp.med.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 10:35:23 CST
From: Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY%TRINITY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Line on some monitors

As Murph Sewall pointed out, all Sony monitors have a faint line about 1/3 of
the way up from the bottom of the screen.  As far as why they were there, I
have been told that it is necessary to hold the shadow mask in place, and that
there is no alternative with the Trinitron design.  Also, I believe that all
Apple monitors are manufactured by Sony, which would explain the presence of
the line on Apple monitors as well.  I personally am not bothered by the
presence of this line; the other advantages of the Trinitron design outweigh
any distraction caused by the line, in my opinion.

Greg Wimpey   gwimpey@trinity.bitnet   Trinity Univ., San Antonio, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 16:48
From: "Slawo Janotta"                             <UJ6C%DKAUNI2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for Oberon

Hello, Netters

A few days ago I heard of a new programming language, OBERON.
It is a new creation from the father of PASCAL and MODULA,
Prof. Dr. N.Wirth from Zurich, Switzerland.
Since the description of this product sounded very promissing,
would like to get a copy of the language.
I know for sure, there IS a MACINTOSH-distribution and it is PD.
Does anybody know something about any source of this stuff?
Could anybody post it to the archive or send it to me or at least
tell me where to get it from?
                                   Thanks in advance
                                         Slawo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 12:56:27 EST
From: Bill Brandt <WBRANDT@cms.cc.wayne.edu>
Subject: Mac Programming Lists

  Although I received dozens of requests to pass along information about
Macintosh programming lists, no one replied about any programming lists active
on the Internet. From this I have to conclude that the only forum for Mac
programming is the one on Usenet.
  Therefore I'd like to take a quick poll. We've got a Sparc 1+ sitting around
with nothing special on it. It could be set up like the Sumex archives to allow
anonymous ftp along with a listserv or digest distribution scheme. Code
segments could be kept in the archives along with the finished software. So
at the risk of flooding my CMS mailer, please send me a quick note if you'd
like to see a setup like the one I've mentioned. If you have any suggestions
then send them along too. I'd like to get a better idea of the interest out
there in order to sell this idea to management.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 10:50:48 EST
From: baim%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.mit.edu (Paul Baim)
Subject: More Laws

> Knut, a lot depends on what you propose, but the short answer is Yes its
> illegal because its not the code alone (or the windowing, etc) that is
> protected, but the IDEAS which are protected.  Ideas which are not protected
> are those which are so old or so common as to have entered the public
> domain.
>          - Gary Greene @ Convergent responding to a question about Shareware
>            written too implement a commercially available capability but
>	     using different windows, etc.

As I understand the intricacies of protection legislation (as an
engineer mind you, not a lawyer) copyrights protect specific written
or artistic works (which is why software can be copyrighted) and
patents protect VERY specifically defined hardware mechanisms and
manufacturing processes (which is why software cannot be patented).
Based on the recent look-and-feel suits, copyright protection MAY
extend to interface designs but this seems to still be quite fuzzy.
Other than the above, no other protection is provided by law.
Certainly, no IDEAS are ever protected other than by keeping them to
yourself.  If mere ideas were protected, no competition would be
possible since the first company that developed any particular
capability would own it (how many word processing programs are
there?).  It seems to me that the guy who wanted to know if he could
develop shareware that duplicated the functionality of a commercial
product and then give it away to people while asking them to pay (the
shareware principle) can go right ahead provided he doesn't use any
code from the commercial product (notice I didn't say he couldn't have
seen the code, only not USED it) and that he steers clear of the
look-and-feel business.  After all, taking someone elses good idea and
finding a way to provide it to the marketplace better and cheaper is
the American Way (do I hear the National Anthem starting?) :-)

- Paul

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 16:49:41 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: On emore quick question

Question:  My friend has a IISI (the bum, I have an SE) and he want to
give himself some more desk space.  Can he just put it on its side--into one
of those stands?  Will that harm it?  Does he need anything special to do this?
Will the Apple Police come and get him?

I appreciate any help you can give.  Reply directly to me--thanks!

Kieran O'Connor  IOCONNOR@SUNRISE  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 08:56 EDT
From: CSCHERRER@ruby.vcu.edu
Subject: ORB MAZEZ on 12" RGB?

|ORB MAZEZ
|version 1.0 beta 2

        This letter exist because the ones I have tried to send to
        Stephen Wilson  at "smw@ozone.cbr.dwe.csiro.au" have all been
        deemed undeliverable.

        Question:  DOES THE GAME work on the Mac LC's 12" RGB monitor?
                   If not, could someone make it compatible (Stephen
                        Wilson??)? Please.

        Two of the monitor requirements for this EXCELLENT game are
                640x480 and
                256 colors

        Problem: The 12" RGB monitor for the Mac LC has no problem
                 with the color depth, but it only has 512x384 pixel
                 resolution.

        Possible soultions by me...

                Spend $999 on the 13"RGB ($599 for 12")
                 but then I also have to spend more for
                 the VRAM expansion to get 256 colors

                Spend $299 for the 12" monochrome, $$ for the
                 VRAM expansion, for 256 grays.  No color.

                Also the above options don't work with the
                Apple II emulator.  I've got thousands of Apple II
                programs.

        Why worry about one game (program)????

                How many other programs out there requiring, at least
                the 13" RGB specs., that won't work with the 12" RGB?

                Should I give up 32,000 colors and Apple II compatiblity
                for only 256 colors but standard monitor specs?

                                                Chris Scherrer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 11:22:38 EST
From: Jamer <PET101@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: playing AIFF files?

I have one quick question:

Does anyone know of a program, preferably available on the net, that can
play AIFF sound files?  Or change them to SND file format?

I've been playing with the csound generation program, but can't hear what I've
come up with!!

Please respond directly.

PET101@ukcc.uky.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 18:43:54 EST
From: Greg Mouning <GAM%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Postscript.help file

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the "Postscript.help" file which
functions with the PSHelp DA written by John Rotenstein?  I thought I saw it
in the archives at one time.  Also there used to be in the TIPS directory
information about how to stop and start the startup page on a laserwriter.
Does anyone know where that has gone?  Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 91 10:17:51 GMT
From: hong@sci.kun.nl (Hong Zhou)
Subject: printing on OMNI postscript laser

Hi,
We have a OMNI postscript laser printer hosted on
a VAX machine. The postscript file generated on MAC
using LaserWriter driver is not printable on
OMNI laser printer. Is there any postscript driver
other than LaserWriter? Does anybody have tips
on these matters?

Another question is if there is PostScript->HP LaserJet
dumper?

Many Thanks,
hong@augustus.mbfys.kun.nl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 17:17 N
From: <INGUILOD%CNEDCU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Public Folder like "TOPS" init wanted...

I need to have the possibility to read in a specific folder from one Mac
station in an other Mac station throught AppleTalk. I know about Public Folder
>From Claris but I need a much more simple solution (too much manipulations
with PF!) like mounting the specific remote folder so that I can read in it
>From a remote station (and why not write into it!?).
Does anybody know such a solution, like an init or an XCMD or C/Pascal code?
In fact, I would be very happy to have an XCMD which took as parameters the
name of the remote station an the name of the folder (facultative).

Oh! What I need is to fetch a file from the remote station and actually I use
the sendFile XCMD from GAVA but I experienced some crashes, especially for
file of about 2-300 KB and larger...

Thank for any answer directly to me: INGUILOD@CNEDCU51.BITNET
Joel

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 91 00:37:18 GMT
From: 6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Marc "Tae-Kwon" Tamsky)
Subject: QUED/M Updater

In digest <9103202321.AA18935@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG@husky1.stmarys.ca> writes:

>I had the same problem. Using an exact copy of my master solved it.
>Someone suggested that the modification date may be relevant. I
>haven't checked this out.

I remember that in order to use the PP updater, one must have an EXACT copy
that the updator file wants.  This means you cant add macros or change
any preferences that are resource based in the target file.

I can't remember where I know this from, but I did work for Paragon for a
bit, and I think they were looking for a different way to do their updating.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to _know_ anything.
--
=  Marc Tamsky    6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu   6600dtam@UCSBUXA (bitnet)  =

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 18:33:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Christopher Bruce Kidwell <ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: System 7.0b4 Problems

I just installed System 7.0b4 on my 4 Meg SE last night and I am having
a few problems.  The more annoying of which is that when I try to set
access priviledges for my server, the Finder always runs out of memory.
Increasing the memory size via ResEdit does no good -- the Finder just
sucks up everything you give it.  I've tried getting rid of inits and
fonts and such, but it always leaves me with about 10K free for the
system software.  I'm pretty sure this is becuase I have ~ 225 users
and Apple only recommends 50, but I had no problems with 7.0b1.

On another note, whenever I choose Desktop in Open/Save dialog boxes,
the system crashes.  This happens in any application when clicking on the
button and when going up the folder hierarchy.  I assume the recommended
solution to this will be to reinstall the software, but someone has
my disks at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Kidwell
ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 22:17 EST
From: PJB94@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: System 7.0b4 query

Developers,
Has anyone successfully run ATM 2.0 under 7.0b4, and if so how, i.e. where
does one place the ~ATM and the ~ATM 68020/30 files.
  We are continually
getting the "ATM requires more memory or additional system resources"
message on startup.  Will Adobe just have to update ATM?

Thanks,
Phil Brandenberger a.k.a. pjb94@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 13:35:12 MST
From: kaminski@Outlaw.UWyo.Edu (Karen M Kaminski)
Subject: Telnet and FTP questions....

I have Telnet installed on a IIci.  I know how to increase the
number of lines on a sceen to fill the monitor but I do not know
how to increase the width of the screen to use the whole width of
the monitor.  Does anyone have an answer?

I have a copy of HyperFTP installed on the same machine.
Whenever I select Edit Host List, the stack simply remains at the
current screen.  To add host names, I have to move to the correct
card using Hypercard Commands.  Once there I can change the list
and the DONE button returns me to the initial screen.  Is there a
fix for this?

One last question.  I have an ImageWriter II connected to this
system.  The manual says that I should be able to press
Shift-Command-4 with the cap locks key on, to get a print screen.
All I get is garbage on the screen.  I have checked the
connections and the printer selected, these are correct.  The
printer works fine from within applications.  Any suggestions for
this?

Thanks much!

Karen Kaminski
User Consultant
University of Wyoming

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 13:09:01 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Trouble with Apple CDSC

   The problem with the Apple CD-SC may be due to dirt on the lens (this has
been a common recurring problem with the early CD-SC's).  I think it has to
do with the fan (which, I have heard, Apple will not include in the future (?)
update of the CD-SC).  Anyway, I have 2 suggestions:  The first is to have
a dealer fix it (I think the fix used to be free, I can't remember if it cost
us anything when we had ours fixed).  The second, which I have not tried (and
do not necessarilly reccomend) is to blow the dust off the lens with some
canned air.

   Hope this helps.

Bret Ingerman             Syracuse University      ingerman@suvm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 16:20:28 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Two quick ones.

Macsters,

Two quick ones-

1)  With an LC and A IISI what stuff, i.e. hardware and software do you
need to *run* not just read, Apple IIe software.  Does Apple file exchange
just read ProDos--or can it run it.  Does my friend need a new board?

2)  There was a question about Shareware authors and a lack of forwarding
addresses.  Suggestion.  Sumex should make it a policy that shareware authors
should send new copies of there programs in  *even* if the only thing different
is their address.  But, sumex shouldnt put it in the Info-mac digest--just
archive it.  Anyone who downloads it from then on will get the proper address.
So there.

3)  I lied.  Here is Mike Houser's Address--(creator of MacCribbage)
EDU%"S4161006%phobos@cs.umass.edu" thanks to Jeanne Kellogg at Colgate U.

Keep on Mac'in!
Kieran O'Connor

Bitnet:  IOCONNOR@SUNRISE         Internet: IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 17:14:05 EST
From: jerome@ee.fit.edu (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875)
Subject: Various Things

I`ve connected a Mac to a Sun Work Station with a RS-232 interface
and using the Mac as a VT100 terminal running at 19200. I would
like to back up the Mac`s HD onto a 1/2 inch tape (I think that's
what it's called).At the present moment, I`m using Zterm/Zmodem
to transfer files between Mac and Sun but this is _VERY_TEDIOUS_
with so many files to transfer individualy. Is another way I can
do this? Are there any File Transfer Applications that will allow
me to upload ENTIRE directories at a time? I could put the Entire
HD into a folder and just upload that folder.

Help anyone?

Is Kermit a good idea?

.Chaos(I think..)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 07:07 CDT
From: BENSMANM%MEMSTVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Works 2a Patch

Does anyone know of a patch to change MS Works 2.0 to 2.0a?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 16:01 EST
From: "Remember, (2143/22)^0.25 ain't PI, but an incredible simulation!" <AMELCUK@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: X11 on the MAC

   A while back, the name of a university distributing X11 for A/UX
via anonymous ftp was given in the archives. Not having had A/UX
running at that time, I didn't read it carefully. Could anybody
send me the name of the place where it is to be found
explain the difference between MIT's X11 and Apple's

   Please note that the X11 source I'm talking about had available
the source code as well as X compiled for the mac. Thanks in advance,
Andrew Mel'cuk -- amelcuk@dirac.clarku.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 7:08:31 CST
From: JCR0969@sigma.tamu.edu (JASON C. ROGERS)
Subject: ZMODEM Files (I need help!)

Hello,

I am new to using the ZMODEM protocol and need some help in one way or another.

I downloaded ZTERM 0.85 from the archives in order to allow me to download
some other files on another network.  No problems there.  BUT, after I have
the Zmodem file on my Mac SE, what do I do with it?  Stuffit won't help.  Do I
need another type of program to 'decode' this file?
Please send replies to either the Info-Mac Digest or to me at:
jcr0969@sigma.tamu.edu
and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Jason C. Rogers
Texas A&M University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 20:46:29 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Wed, 20 Mar 91 09:43 EDT you said:
>Would someone please download the Mac tn3270 terminal emulation and
>accompanying documentation from Brown U to the info-mac archives?  The
>software might be useful to many info-mac subscribers.

Some software regularly gets deleted from the archives because there isn't
room to store everything that's sent in.  I don't think it a good idea
to archive stuff that's readily accessible elsewhere.  You CAN ftp the
TN3270 package from BrownVM.Brown.Edu (anonymous login, etc.) OR you can
get LISTSERV to send it to you at your leisure (message from BITNET only
or email from just about anywhere)

email to LISTERV@BrownVM.Brown.Edu
(subject ignored)
GET TN3270 PACKAGE

There's an MS Word doc in the binhex'd StuffIT 1.5.x archive.

Address inquiries to Peter DiCamillo <CMSMAINT@BrownVM.Brown.Edu>

End of Info-Mac Digest