info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 27 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 74

Today's Topics:

      [*] AutoTag RCMD for White Knight
      [*] Bombs 2.1
      [*] cdev/jbashing-141.hqx
      [*] HC eye tutor
      [*] Help Template v1.0 for HyperCard
      .pit
      Am OnLine
      ANOTHER REQUEST FOR STANDARDIZATION OF TEXT FILES
      Apple StyleWriter
      Copying Dos-Files via a Mac!
      dBASE legal issues
      Eavesdropping on a serial connection?
      Exchanging word processing formats?
      Exit_to_Shell from a hung XCMD
      Finding people who have moved...
      FONT CHARACTER
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #73
      Information on The Simmer & Digi-Graphics
      MacsBug
      Pixel Paint offer
      Programming software
      Qued/M Comments
      RE> transporting mac to eastern europe
      Repair Mac products
      Resolution of MacX Displays
      SANE float-to-string and string-to-float
      searching hi speed C++ compiler
      System 6.0.7
      system 6.0.7 & se/30 compatibility
      System 7 virtual memory
      Topic Help
      Transporting a Mac to Eastern Europe
      Virtual Memory and 3rd party hard disk drivers
      WriteNow Dictionaries Help Requested

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 11:31:14 CST
From: Michael S. Taylor <mtaylor@eng.auburn.edu>
Subject: [*] AutoTag RCMD for White Knight

AutoTag 1.02 by Michael S. Taylor
Copyright ) 1991 by Michael S. Taylor, All Rights Reserved

This is an RCMD for White Knight that selects a tag line at random from a tag
lines file and prints the tear line and tag line at the end of your message.
Great for all kinds of forum.  A small procedure and tag line file are provided
to get you started.  See the enclosed Read Me for more details.

[Archived as /info-mac/rcmd-auto-tag-102.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 11:58:25 +0100
From: christer@cs.umu.se
Subject: [*] Bombs 2.1

This is the latest version of Bombs, the puzzle game as seen under Windows and
on other machines. It now supports color macs, has less (no?) bugs, better
instructions, improved graphics, and a few other changes that makes a better
game (eg async sounds). Simply said, it's more polished.

I'd still like those of you who enjoy the game to send me a picture postcard
of your hometown. (Now more than ever, since I have yet to receive one!)

Christer Ericson
Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, Sweden

[Archived as /info-mac/game/bombs-21.hqx; 113K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 06:57 CST
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] cdev/jbashing-141.hqx

     This CDEV works with the Japanese OS (i.e., KanjiTalk), and performs two
useful functions: 1) modifies the time/date style to that used in the US (no
Japanese characters in the time/date); and 2) changes the default setting for
the ScriptManager to English (the default when starting up is Japanese mode).
     This is version 1.41, is named japanBASHING, was written by Hiro Fujimoto,
and is FreeWare. If you are not running the Japanese OS, this has no use for
you. Enjoy!

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/jbashing-141.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1991 15:13:01 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: [*] HC eye tutor

The following HyperCard stack is an "ocular anatomy tutor"  It
is a very detailed stack about the eye.  It would be appropriate
for college level and up.  Info about the outhor is on the first
card.

Kieran O'Connor

[Archived as /info-mac/card/ocular-anatomy.hqx; 192K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 16:17:57 -0800
From: rhutchin@bonnie.ics.uci.edu
Subject: [*] Help Template v1.0 for HyperCard

This is the first version of a HyperCard stack I've put
together which creates templates for help stacks. The
help stack analogy currently supported is that of a book.
You supply the chapter and article names, Help Template
will create a stack with all the necessary links and a
table of contents. If you use HyperCard, please download
me and at least try me out!! Send me suggestions. I'm
really getting serious about creating complex templates
and would love to know what anyone and everyone thinks.
You can contact me by e-mail at

rhutchin@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

thanks,

Richard Bradley Hutchings

[Archived as /info-mac/card/help-template.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 11:38:47 gmt
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: .pit

1.What does the termination .pit mean on a binhexed file. how do you
unstuff it?
2.could somebody provide the names and specs of ethernet boeards for
all mac models after the plus? i will summarise for the net thanks
G. Byron Stirling University. gsb1@uk.ac.stirling.forth

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 15:51:57 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: Am OnLine

Date    3/26/91
Subject Am OnLine
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

America OnLine is not yet on the internet.  If you have an America OnLine
account I suggest you send mail to any of the help addresses and ask them to
forward your desire that they get onto the internet to the appropriate people
with Quantum Services.

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning
nethery.parc@xerox.com
or AOL: Kee

------------------------------

Date: 26 MAR 91 21:04:58 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ANOTHER REQUEST FOR STANDARDIZATION OF TEXT FILES

Hello all,
~   A friend of mine presented to me a compatiblity list for System
7.0.  This list was created by Wayne Kaufmann, is on the net, and was
a monumental effort.  My friend cannot read the compatibility list
because it is in Excel and MacSink format.  No calculations are used
in the Excel files which makes me wonder why Excel was used?  Excel is
being used due to cells being used as automatic tabs.
~   However, the old argument of "Why wasn't DocMaker or TeachText
used?" in the submitted files occurs.  The compatibility list is in
EXCEL.  The READ ME.TXT is in MacSink.  Recall that I'm the rascal who
keeps raising the issue of why developers don't use commonly available
text executors or text readers for their text files.  TeachText is
supplied by Apple and DocMaker is on the net.  Why aren't those used?
Ad nausem.
~   I don't have MacSink and neither do any of the locals.  I
certainly don't and probably never will have the money for Excel.
~   So, here we go again, folks.  Please please please.  Don't forget
what reading tools your users have when accessing the files that you
worked on so hard.  Wayne spent a lot of time in developing a rather
excellent cross reference chart for System 7.0.  Yet, many of us
cannot easily use his file due to the fact that a standard text
processor or document creator was not used.  I certainly would love to
be able to read his work.  Double sigh....
~   Yeah, I know, beggars cannot be choosers, but still......  Triple
sigh...

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET> ATARI STers OF EAST TEXAS-SOON-TO-BE-MACS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 7:21:31 CST
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: Apple StyleWriter

I just bought me a StyleWriter from our campus computer center. Not too bad.
I'm patient enough that the speed doesn't matter a whole lot, and I am quite
impressed with TrueType. I'm considering buying FontMonger to convert some of
my PostScript fonts to TrueType so I don't have two different INITs trying to
scale fonts and cause headaches.
One question I do have -- does anyone know why Apple chose to take a giant leap
backwards by not allowing color/grey-scale printing to the StyleWriter? I mean,
it doesn't make sense for my Mac IIsi with 9Mb RAM and 8-bit color to not be
able to dither images (color or grey) for printing. Is anyone at Apple out
there who might be able to answer this? It's quite frustrating to have bought
a printer (that Apple advertises as perfect for the Classic, IIsi, and LC)
which the two new color Macs can't print properly to. It even has trouble with
fill patterns, especially Canvas' "grey-scale" fill patterns, in that all of
them come out terrible - big ugly dots with large spaces between them for a
10% fill pattern. Will Apple be providing a new driver? Does Apple care that
this is a bad reflection on the new image?

I'll be waiting...

Dave Martin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 09:30:11 CET
From: Michael Daether <BF5%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Copying Dos-Files via a Mac!

I finally found out what was going wrong trying to copy a DOS-File via
my Mac. It was not the Mac, but our Sun.
To explain: We have a Sun running CAP, enabling it to run as a Apple-
Share fileserver. So what I really did was to download the PC-File in
binary mode to the Sun and then to copy it with Apple File Exchange to
a DOS-disk. But it is not the same to ftp in binary (not MACBinary) mode
or to use CAP to copy. The difference is a change of Hex 0D to 0A. I
guess ftp in binary mode between two UNIX-machines should be a one-
to-one copy, so probably CAP is doing this translation (and not AFE).
CAP looks so transparent, so you I do not even think of some translation
in it ...
Doing a binary ftp directly to the Mac and then using AFE is now perfect.
Sorry to have bothered you and lots of thanks to all who responded.

                                       MICHAEL DAETHER

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:55:58 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: dBASE legal issues

I read somewhere that the company that makes dBASE is having legal trouble
because it allegedly based its trademark (or was it a patent) application
on work that was in the public domain without revealing that fact.
The article suggested that the courts could rule that dBASE is now
in the public domain.  Does anyone have any details about this?
Is this why I have seen dBASE Mac advertised for $59.00?

Kirke B. Lawton          lawk@uorvm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 00:18:50 PST
From: Alex_Curylo@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Eavesdropping on a serial connection?

Help! I'd like to reverse engineer a PC-based dedicated terminal program
for the Macintosh...to do so I need to see what's flowing down the serial
cable to and from the modem from and to the PC.

I seem to recall reading somewhere about a T-cable of sorts that would let
a Macintosh do exactly that...anyone know anything about it?  Or know how
to make one?  Or have any other good suggestions?

Please email userxf7b@cc.sfu.ca if you can help!  thx...alex

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:44:28 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Exchanging word processing formats?

On Mon, 25 Mar 1991 10:20 EST you said:
>I'm looking for software that transfers documents from one word processing
>format to another.
>
>For our PCs, we have Word Exchange, which transfers documents from one word
>processing format to another and retains the formatting.  Does anyone know of
>any software such as this for the Mac?

This question has occurred before: The MacLink product from DataVis of
Trumbull, CT will translate among both Mac and PC word processor, spreadsheet,
and database formats (350 translators).  Some of the translations are more
complete (better) than others.  We own the DataVis product (available from
MacConnection and probably most other mail order catalogs) and are semi-happy.
PC Word Perfect to MacWrite II (for example) provides much better translations
than the other way.  I've just received an upgrade form ($50) and haven't
decided whether the promised improvements are likely to be worth the $$$.

There are several other (word processor specific) translators advertised.
Several months ago we processed a request for one of them but it seems to
have gone astray in the red tape.  If it ever surfaces, I'd be happy to
report on a comparison with the DataVis product.  In the meantime, I'd
be interested in anyone else's experiences with word processor translators.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 14:22 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Exit_to_Shell from a hung XCMD

Greetings,

I am trying to debug an xcmd that hangs (occassionally). When it does I can get
into MacsBugs, but once there the "es" (exit to shell) command doesn't work.
This is running under MultiFinder. Is there a way to switch applications in
MacsBugs, i.e. leave HyperCard and switch to the Finder, or one of the other
programs that are running?

Thanks in advance - Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:01 CST
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Finding people who have moved...

When I attempted to locate a developer who had moved, I first called the Post
Office at the old address and asked for the forwarding address.  I was
informed that forwarding addresses were not given over the phone. BUT if I
sent $1 and a note with the old address, the Postmaster  would send me the
new address.

What happened at this point, I am not certain.  However, I received a letter
about two weeks later that had the persons new address, home, and work phone
numbers.  The return address on the letter was a "permanent" address, perhaps
the developer's parents.

-Tom            hausmann@iscsvax.uni.edu     GEnie: T.Hausmann

------------------------------

Date: Tue, Mar 26, 1991 8:48:21 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: FONT CHARACTER

RE>FONT CHARACTER

This probably isn't the answer you wanted when you asked for a solid line over
a couple of letters, but Nisus from Paragon Concepts (ask jon@weber.ucsd.edu
for more info) includes Overbar as a style. It will do precisely what you want
and a heck of a lot more. Highly recommended!

-Adam C. Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 08:21 CDT
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #73

Regarding BBSs:  Have a look at NovaTerm and TeleFinder.  TeleFinder
demos are available on AOL.  If you need to provide much access to other
systems, then TeleFinder is somewhat weak.  However, if you want to do
mostly Mac stuff, then TeleFinder is a good choice.  Very faithful to the
Mac OS.  Good luck!
Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 22:08:28 EST
From: Robert Neil <R3RWN%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.uakron.edu>
Subject: Information on The Simmer & Digi-Graphics

Hi netters,
   Has anyone had any experiences with a product called The Simmer or the compa
ny that makes them-Digi-Graphics?  Either bad or good would be apprieciated.  F
or those of you who do not know what The simmer is-it is a product that adds si
mm slots and a scsi port to 128-512KE macs for $150.  We have a couple of 512KE
's around and would like to upgrade them to approx. a plus, and this appears to
be the ideal way so far.  Respond either to me direct or to the digest.

Thanks
Robert Neil     R3RWN@akronvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 10:59:27
From: rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu (Hobbes)
Subject: MacsBug

When does MacsBug load itself during startup?  Is there some way of changing its
startup order?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 12:15:40 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Pixel Paint offer

I got a card in the mail for the purchase of Pixel Paint for $49 (orig price =
$249). Anyone know what's the catch? Is Pixel Paint Pro or something the real
product to buy? Is there an upgrade path?

If you are interested, the tel# is (800) 345-2888 ext 85. After April 1 the
price is $79. They take Visa/Mastercard.
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 22:01:13 EST
From: Lee <PV4Y%CORNELLA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Programming software

Does anyone know of a software package for programming on the Mac called
Stella?  It apparently uses graphics for program creation.
Please let me know where it is available.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 91 22:57:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.eeel.nist.gov>
Subject: Qued/M Comments

There has been some recent talk about Qued/M and its updates (and lack of
updates), so I have a few comments. About two years ago I flamed Paragon in
this forum for working on Nissus, their word processor to the exclusion of
Qued, and neglecting Qued/M so much that they were not even fixing KNOWN BUGS.
Note that I said that was two years ago. They have since done nothing to Qued/M
in the way of fixes, upgrades or enhancements, except for the 2.07 > 2.09
upgrade. This they had to do since the program would no longer work on newer
Macs. I think it is clear from the 0.02 version change that this was a very
minor modification.

What is the upshot? They lost out. I now use Vantage, which includes most Qued
features in a DA! The one thing I always liked about Qued that was missing in
other programming editors was the split-windows. Now, here comes MPW 3.2, with,
you guessed it, split-windows in the editor.

I don't really feel up to flaming them again, but this is definitely a
cautionary tale about what happens to an excellent product when it is abandoned
by the publisher. And too bad, since Qued still contains some of the best
features of ANY editor on the Mac. But I don't use it since I can't afford to
fool around with unsupported products.

Just my opinion.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 13:34:08 CST
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: RE> transporting mac to eastern europe

Yes, compact Macs (like SE/30) do fit nicely under the seat or into the
overhead storage on most planes.  I would recommend getting a carrying case
like MacLuggage, though.  Regarding service and peripherals, I remember
reading somewhere that Apple certified a company in Prague to be Apple's
authorized dealer.  There are many authorized dealers also in Germany.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 12:09:41 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Repair Mac products

I have clipped an ad from the back of MacWeek from a co. called Micromat.
This is supposed to be a repair guide. Anyone ever purchase this? Is it worth
the $99? How does it  compare to Larry Pena's (sp?) book? Thanks-Pete

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 19:28:51 -0500
From: John Alciere <jmalciere@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: Resolution of MacX Displays

I use MacX 1.0.1 to access and run a SunNet Manager application on a co-worker's
Sun Workstation.  I can access the application;  however, all of the windows are
about 25% larger when they appear on my Apple High-Resolution Monitor than when
they appear on the Sun's monitor.  Also, the application displays a network map
with component icons, but my on my display only half of each icon appears!

It's been suggested that the resolution of the Apple monitor accounts for the
difference in size of the windows.  Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
Any suggestions?

Flame:

I called Apple "technical support" with the above question.  They gave me the
number of an outfit in Framingham, MA that charges $50.00/hour to troubleshoot
software problems -- payable in advance via Mastercard or Visa!

MAC X UPGRADE:

The Apple order code for a MacX 1.0 to 1.1 upgrade is: M1043LL/A

John Alciere  Xyplex, Inc.  Boxborough, MA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 12:38:09 PST
From: eddie@csa2.lbl.gov (WE CAN RESOLVE YOU USING ANY PIECE OF INFORMATION. Gary E. Herman. Division Manager. Bellcore.)
Subject: SANE float-to-string and string-to-float

	Howdy,

	I have a simple question: what routines do I call to convert
floating point numbers to strings (PASCAL) and vice versa?  I do not
have access to the Apple Numerics Manual, and that is what IM refers one
to for such info.
						Thanks in advance,

						Eddie Moler

PS I am using Think C, so I have access to the SANE package.  EJM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 15:51:57 GMT
From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: searching hi speed C++ compiler

Hi from France

I write program with MPW C++ on my mac plus.
it's a good compiler, but it's slow.
Does someone know where I could find a faster one?

Thanks.

Emmanuel CASTRO
<CASTRO@FRMOP11>
Montpellier
FRANCE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1991 08:01 EST
From: "Michael A. McGuire, UTCC" <MCGUIRE@utkvx.utk.edu>
Subject: System 6.0.7

>From:	UTKVX::MCGUIRE      "Michael A. McGuire, UTCC" 21-MAR-1991 07:55:57.43
To:	IN%"glenn_fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu"
CC:	MCGUIRE
Subj:	6.0.7

Everyone please be aware the Apple Computer has said that unless you have
a Mac Classic, Mac LC, or Mac IIsi YOU SHOULD NOT USE 6.0.7.  It is known
to be buggy.  6.0.5 is the system of choice (we have run it on all macs
in many configs with NO problems since it came out.)  ONLY USE 6.0.7 IF
YOU MUST otherwise use 6.0.5.  Apple knows about the problems but
with 7.0 so close (May) they are not going to fix it.

Michael McGuire

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 04:51:55 EST
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: system 6.0.7 & se/30 compatibility

Hi,
     I posted something a while ago, and I forgot to leave my bitnet address,
so I didn't get any replies.  But here goes again:
     I have a SE/30 with 8 megs installed, and am running on system 6.0.7.  I
often get system errors like "Illegal Command" and "Bus error" and "Coprocessor
not Installed" errors.  I asked a consultant at Brown, and they told me to re-
install it by using the Installer provided, so I did.  The errors seemed to
have decreased in number, but I still get them every so often.
     I'm running many inits also, like InitCdev 2.0, After Dark, Temperament,
Suitcase II, FileSaver, In use, Quickeys, SCSI Probe, Hier DA, ATM, and TrueTyp
e.  I have tried increasing the system heap to 1000 Kbytes, but I'm not sure if
this is the solution.  What is the solution then?
     I'd appreciate any help.  I'd like to run Hypercard 2.0, so I can't use a
system lower than 6.0.5.  I thought system 6.0.7 would help, but alas...

Please send all mail to ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu  or ST701640@brownvm

Thanks in advance,

George Lai
ST701640@brownvm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 13:17 CST
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG@lawrence.edu>
Subject: System 7 virtual memory

MacPhreak! (JPONS@vax.clarku.edu) writes:

>I read somewhere that the virtual memory feature in System 7.0
>will only work on hard disks that have been initialized with the
>"Apple HD SC Setup".

You probably read that here, and I was the original poster of that.
My experience was with b1 and the Disk Manager Mac and Rodime
(oooold version) formatting utilities.  Besides several posts that
indicated that I was wrong, my own problems cleared up with the
b4 release, to the point that I was able to have b4 installed on
an external Apple-formatted drive, and specified the VM file
to be paged to a partition of another drive formatted with
Disk Manager Mac.  Works wonderfully.  I can not ntoice the
difference between using the 8Megs installed, or a full 13Megs
virtual (except for the fact that 13Megs of disk space are used).

One thing I should mention, though, is that if your drive IS
formatted with Apple's HDSC Setup, it gives you a message
telling you that your driver must be updated with the new
version of HDSC Setup.  This is only for those drives, though.
It worked fine on a disk formatted and partitioned with Disk
Manager Mac 2.23, with no modifications...

{and as Dear Dottie of the Weekly World News would say: PERSONAL TO
"Internet: dlandry@ncs.dnd.ca" Have you thought of
making a call to SysEnvirons to check for an fpu?  Then a
case statement, with one procedure if yes, another if no?}

Me@not.you.thank.god   (Disclaimer)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 17:52:56 CST
From: edsr!wjb@uunet.uu.net (Bill J Biesty)
Subject: Topic Help

I have a request for those who reply to messages in the Info Mac Digest.

On the subject line please append the topic subject to the posting subject.

E.g., instead of:

	Subject: Info-Mac Figest V9 #70

Please add the topic in parenthesis:

	Subject: Info-Mac Figest V9 #70 (StyleWriter Scoop)

or something similar.  I, and maybe some others, like to read the topic
summary to see if there's anything of interest before going through the
entire digest--I've got lots of other stuff to read.

I really can't ask the moderator to do this--I'm sure he/she has lots of
things to do as well.

So please, postfix those subjects.

Thanks.

Bill <wjb@edsr.eds.com>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 8:27:14 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Transporting a Mac to Eastern Europe

A friend of mine recently took his pc to Peru.  He discovered that if you ship
it separately from you, there is a very high probability of never receiving it.
The contents of such packages must be declared (on the outside where every
thief can see).  Also, if it does get through, you have a very high probability
of being charged import fees and taxes.  In some countries, those fees make
the original cost of the pc insignificant.

My friend used a hard trunk lined with dense foam to ship his pc.  He merely
took it along as checked luggage - no indication anywhere what it contained,
only his name and destination address.  It may cost a bit more in excess
baggage charges, but that is usually very cheap.  His equipment arrived
in working order and he was not required to pay any customs on it.

An SE can be carried on board a US aircraft without any problem in a soft
case.  It will fit nicely under a seat (very tight on an aisle seat).  I have
transported a Mac+ this way without any problems.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 17:43:50 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Virtual Memory and 3rd party hard disk drivers

I'll try to shed some light on the controversial issue of what hard disk
drives are supported by Apple's virtual memory feature in System 7.0. The
problem is simply that virtual memory requires a hard disk driver that is
re-entrant. This is necessary, because a page fault could possibly occur
in the middle of an SCSI transaction and then the virtual memory driver
needs to swap pages and thus also will want to access the hard disk driver.
If the driver is not re-entrant a crash will unavoidably occur. To the best
of my knowledge Apple will support each and every 3rd party hard disk driver
with virtual memory under System 7.0. As of today unfortunately most of the
3rd party drivers are NOT re-entrant and that is why Apple suggests that
you reformat your drive with the Apple HD SC Setup application included
with 7.0. I've also heard that Optima Technologies is going to ship a
virtual memory compatible (i.e. re-entrant) driver with their drives starting
in May, so I suppose other hard disk vendors will do the same, too.
Cheers,
ALF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 09:32 EST
From: DRBH@db1.cc.rochester.edu
Subject: WriteNow Dictionaries Help Requested

I use WriteNow 2.2, but I am still using the original  50K
dictionary that came with my first version of WriteNow (v. 1.?).
I would LIKE to use the more recent larger and larger
dictionaries, but I have added hundreds of words to the
dictionary, vocabulary that is specific to molecular
evolution/microbial genetics and also specific to my own
research program.  I really don't want to face the agony of
adding all those words again.  Is there anyway to add the
contents of one dictionary to another dictionary, and if so what
about the duplicated words? 	This problem might be of
sufficient interest that I will post the solution(s) to the net.
	Thanks in advance for your help. Barry Hall DRBH@UORDBV

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 15:41:24 +0300
From: Susan Weinbach <CSWEINBA@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il>

Does anyone (most likely a chemist or biologist) know of a program that
can not only draw a molecule, but generate symmetry in order to draw a
crystal structure? I'm looking for something along the lines of PLUTO.
I have heard about Chem 3D, but I don't know if it has this capability.
Please send any suggestions directly to me: csweinba@weizmann.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:42:57 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Fri, 22 Mar 91 11:06:19 EST you said:
>>Where is the sound to snd converter that used to be in the archives under
>>/sound/program?  I need it desperately.  Could someone please direct me to
>>it or another program which does the same thing.

The Sound Mover application that's part of the sound-manager-package in the
info-mac archives will do the conversions and a lot more.

End of Info-Mac Digest