info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/30/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 29 Mar 91       Volume 9 : Issue 76

Today's Topics:

      [*] 3D EDITOR DEMO 1.1
      [*] NetFeed
      [*] Random Messages 1.0 (After Dark module)
      [*] SoftwareFPU 2.0
      [*] Solarian II 1.04
      6.0.7 and TrueType
      Amiga disk formats
      Apple HD Setup program...
      Complete Preview 2.0 Wanted
      DeHQX 1.05 Observations
      IIci Accelerators
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #75
      Information on The Simmer & Digi-Graphics
      Internet <-> AppleLink
      Mac+ accelerators
      NFNT editor -- is there one?
      Opinions on OCR software?
      Speeding Graphics & Rotating Text
      Stella...
      Stlewriter and background printing (no can do!)...
      SUMMARY: Source Code \ Version Control Systems
      System 7.0b4 and Deskwriter (2 msgs)
      Text Editors

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 17:25:12 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] 3D EDITOR DEMO 1.1

This is the 2D Floor Plan Editor to accompany the 3D Demo 1.1 Navigation
program posted earlier. Source code for this version is available for
licensing, almost free.
Do read the README file.
Requires Color QuickDraw, FPU, and 6.0.5 or later.
Please, I need more input like No 5. Negative or positive suggestions,
criticisms are all welcome.
Send direct to isstth@nusvm.bitnet.
Have Fun.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/three-d-editor-demo.hqx; 239K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 21:48:00 EST
From: "Shadow" <WDBURNS@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu>
Subject: [*] NetFeed

  Here is the latest version of NetFeed.  This program will allow anyone
with a Mac and a DIAL-UP NNTP server to access UseNet feeds.  Please note
that this program does NOT support MacTCP and such!  The NNTP site you
are calling must be able to support raw NNTP services.  People who are
accustomed to the Merit (in Michigan for instance) network will be
able to utilize this program immediately because there are these types
of NNTP daemons readily available. (But they exist most everywhere else,
too!)
  questions/comments about this program may be directed to the authors
at WDBURNS@MTUS5.bitnet or BRBOYER@MTUS5.bitnet (Bitnet) or
   wdburns@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu or brboyer@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu (InterNet)

Have fun and enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/net-feed.hqx; 126K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 MAR 91 17:33:33 BST
From: PAULR@epvax.sussex.ac.uk
Subject: [*] Random Messages 1.0 (After Dark module)

Random Messages 1.0

This is a simple After Dark 2.0 module which displays random messages.

It was inspired by the following message in a recent INFO_MAC digest:

 > Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 22:12 EST
 > From: GADDIS%POGUN@dupont.com
 > Subject: Request for a screen saver with a special capability
 >
 > This is a strange question so please bear with me.  Does anyone know of a
 > screen saver that will read and randomly pick an entry from a text file and
 > then display that text when the screen saver kicks in, much like some screen
 > savers display a bouncing graphic of some sort (i.e. - company logo, a lock)
 >
 > [stuff deleted]

Although the author wanted this module as a way of displaying items from 'To Do'
lists, I thought it would also make a nice 'fortune' program, so it has evolved
into a general purpose "Random Messages" module, which picks messages at random
>From a user-specified text file.

Paul Russell
ARC Electronics

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-random-messages.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 16:25:13 -0800
From: John Neil <neil@apple.com>
Subject: [*] SoftwareFPU 2.0

A utility which allows programs requiring a Floating Point Unit (FPU) to work
on computers without one, like the Macintosh LC and IIsi.  Drop this INIT/cdev
into your System folder and many programs that formerly bombed will begin
working.

SoftwareFPU is a shareware product.  If you download it, please send $10 to:

    John Neil
    P.O. Box 160699
    Cupertino, CA 95016

Your ten dollars keeps the lights on late at night and gives me the incentive
to produce more wondrous Macintosh software!  Thanks for your support.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/software-fpu-20.hqx; 70K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 18:26:08 EST
From: s74205@ursa.calvin.edu (Michael D. Esser)
Subject: [*] Solarian II 1.04

Here is the latest version of the awesome arcade style game Solarian.
This version features completely rewritten sound drivers and some
other minor bug fixes.  With the new sound routines and System 6.0.7
the program is noticably faster and smoother on a IIsi running Multi-
Finder.

Runs only on color Macs w/ screen size of at least 640x480 (13 Apple RGB or
bigger).

NO numeric co-processor required.

Enjoy,
Michael Esser
s74205@ursa.calvin.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-104.hqx; 912K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 18:37:19 EST
From: cornell@unix1.cs.umass.edu (Matthew Cornell)
Subject: 6.0.7 and TrueType

In infomacv9-074, Glenn Fleishman via Michael McGuire warns about
6.0.7's bugginess. (I wish we had the "official" notice from Apple.)
Does TrueType require 6.0.7? I'm using it now with 6.0.5 (we've never
upgraded) and it seems to work.

Matthew Cornell
Knowledge Communication Systems Group

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 15:33:42 CST
From: Marc Cooper <MAC566F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Amiga disk formats

Does anyone on the net know of Apple File Exchange translators
which can read from and write to Amiga disks?
Acknowledge-To: <MAC566F@SMSVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 16:01:19 EST
From: dpugsle@nswc-wo.navy.mil (Donald Pugsley)
Subject: Apple HD Setup program...

NetFolks;
  When I installed A/UX 1.1, I put it onto a non-Apple Quantum 80 hard
drive by using the Apple HD setup program to initialize the disk as an
official Apple one; I used FEdit to put the drive ID string (QUANTUM
P80S 980-80-94..) into the lookup table in the HDSetup program (v2.0).
This worked ok two years ago... in preparation for A/UX 2.0
installation I wanted to do it again with the newer (v2.0.3) HDsetup
program and a new Quantum drive.  The 2.0.3 version has the P80S
980-80-94xx string in the right place for the lookup table, leading me
to believe that Apple now uses these exact drives, but the program
refuses to recognize the disk.  Is it now looking for an Apple SCSI
controller on the drive (the scum) or is there an equivalent trick
that I have not figured out?  More to the point, how do I install A/UX
on the Quantum hard drive (is it possible?)

					Respectfully,
						Don Pugsley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 17:31:02 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Complete Preview 2.0 Wanted

About nine months ago, I downloaded Preview 2.0 from Sumex.  This version
is no longer on Sumex, but recently version 1.5 was uploaded.  Version
1.5 includes text documentation and an FKey.  The version 2.0 that I
got earlier did not include these extras and was "licensed to Activision".

I checked Compuserve for Preview 2.0, but only found 1.5.  Preview 2.0
is definitely newer and better, but I would like to get the complete
distribution.  Does anybody have this and could upload it to Sumex?

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 13:23:26 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: DeHQX 1.05 Observations

When DeHQX was posted, I was very pleased to see a FREEWARE
HQX decoder that won't choke on descriptive headers.

However, when I tested it on my Mac IIci, running System 6.07, it
took 34 seconds to decode a 184K file.  This was under Finder with
no inits loaded.  Under MultiFinder, with a half-dozen or so inits
loaded that I always use, it took 53 seconds, regardless of how
much memory I allocated to DeHQX.  In contrast, the DA BINHQX took
only *5 seconds* to decode the same 184K file.

Also, Command Period would not halt the decoding of a file on my
machine.

The default preferences for DeHQX are OK, but I'd rather see all
text files shown by default, otherwise novices get confused when
someone gives them a binhexed file that doesn't end in .HQX.

PS. The sumex archives have only version 1.0 of BINHQX.  Could
    someone who has a newer version (1.02?) please post it?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1991 02:03 EST
From: BUEHRER@husc3.harvard.edu
Subject: IIci Accelerators

Has anyone had any experience wtih IIci accelerators?  Do they work?

Thanks for any comments.

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1991 23:04:45 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #75

Impressions of the stylewriter.  I saw it in action yesterday.  The non
true type fonts look like an Imagewriter.  Pretty lame.  The true type fonts
look good--at best or faster.  Graphics don't look as good as those produced
on a Deskwriter.

The educator's price is 360$ in Syracuse, NY.  Not bad--cheaper than an Image-
writer.  I have a DeskWriter--and I think overall it is better in print
quality.  However for 360$ the StyleWriter is a good deal.  The DeskWriter
is 600$ plus right now.

Suggestion for those who can't decide between the StyleWriter and the
DeskWriter--wait a moth or two.  Hewlett Packard did not have any competition
before the StyleWriter came along.  Therefore HP could keep prices high--
especially since the only thing better was the LaserWriter--well out of any
one's league.  I believe that HP prices will drop--if they don't no one will
buy one.

If you can hold out--I suggest you do so.  Overal though, for 360$, if the HP
prices don't drop, the StyleWriter is nice.

PS  I asked if IW prices would fall--since the IW is clearly inferior to the
SW.  A typical Apple response-NO! "Well the Imagewriter prints color."
Gimme a break.

Keep on Mac'in!

Kieran

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)  IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU  (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 19:40:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Donald Jackson Pickett <dp32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Information on The Simmer & Digi-Graphics

Does anyone know of a good on-line dictionary, especially one w/ a
German-English modual? Email me.

Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1991 08:09:56 GMT
From: johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson)
Subject: Internet <-> AppleLink

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>To send e-mail to AppleLink, send your mail to the AppleLink address followed
>by @AppleLink.Apple.com .
>To send e-mail to CompuServe, send it to the CompuServe address, using a period
>'.' instead of a comma ',', followed by @CompuServe.com .

>Does anybody know if there is such a thing for America Online?

No.  There is no such thing.  The people at AOL say that they have no plans
to implement such a gateway.  See also the current discussion on
comp.sys.mac.comm.

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  29 Mar 91 17:48 +02:00
From: <DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac+ accelerators

Hi netters,

I finally decided to go out and buy an accelerator for my old trusty Mac+.
Question is what to buy. There is quiet a number of them out there and the
number is growing.

The ones that I could see on MacUser adds are:

 - Dove's MaraThon 030 (16 MHz ?)
 - Total Systems (both 16 and 20 MHz)
 - RailGun (16 and 25 MHz)
 - NewLife (25 MHz)

I would appreciate hearing about any hands on info regarding these and
other brands. Another question is whether I will be able to increase my
RAM (4MB -> 8MB) with these boards. Also ease of installation is an issue
since I can't ship my Mac all the way to States!

Thanks.

Nuzhet DALFES
Bogazici University
Istanbul, TURKIYE

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1991 08:09:08 GMT
From: johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson)
Subject: NFNT editor -- is there one?

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>I see there is a utility that turns FONTs to NFNTs, and that there are
>many FONT editors (including ResEdit, in a pinch); but ResEdit cannot edit
>an NFNT. How *DO* I edit one?

That is exactly the reason I wrote my FONT->NFNT utility.  I did ask sometime
back what applications can edit NFNTs, and the only positive reponse said (if
I remember correctly) that Fontographer could edit NFNTs.  But since
Fontographer costs a bit of $$, I found it easier to edit them as FONTs and
then convert them to NFNTs.  Yes, this does take a bit more understanding of
how fonts work on the Mac.  According to IM-IV-42, the FONTs and NFNTs have
identical resource formats, so I used ResEdit 2.x to do edit my FONTs and
then converted them to NFNTs.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 12:15:15 MST
From: pothiers%pi3.local%tuva.saic.com@ccc.nersc.gov (Steve Pothier)
Subject: Opinions on OCR software?

Can someone tell me who makes the best OCR software? We're trying to
use "ReadIt" for inputting C source from listings. It seems to have
lots of problems with some fairly simple things.

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve Pothier
pothiers@tuva.saic.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 16:47:16 CST
From: ramer@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu (Kevin W. Ramer)
Subject: Speeding Graphics & Rotating Text

	Fellow Developers,

	SYNOPSIS:  Hardware, Mac II,
		   Development Platform MPW C 3.1
					MPW Asm 3.1, etc.

	GRAPHICS:

	I would like any suggestions, examples of accelerating graphics
	(I.E. quickdraw). I have a time-critical application that must
	also display information (waveforms) at regular intervals and
	at hi-fidelity.

	I saw a reference to A. Herzfield's QuickerGraf in an old
	"init-abstracts" but now it's not on info-mac. Is this item
	still about & available ?

	ROTATING TEXT:

	Another nicety for general purpose is the rotation of text.
	I've implemented a simple 90 counter-clockwise rotation by
	drawing to an offscreen port and doing manipulation to rotate.
	However, the appearance of the resulting bitmap is marginal
	except for text in all caps.

	Any help, suggestions or examples are appreciated.  A summary
	will be posted, if interest is high.

	Thanks.

Kevin W. Ramer (205) 934-6433

------------------------------

Date: 28 Mar 91 21:26:45 GMT
From: elsmed@bass.bu.edu (Dipesh Navsaria)
Subject: Stella...

   Lee <PV4Y%CORNELLA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> wrote:

Does anyone know of a software package for programming on the Mac called
Stella?  It apparently uses graphics for program creation.
Please let me know where it is available.  Thanks.

   I believe Stella is actually a commerical modeling program, not a
real programming language.
                                     Dipesh Navsaria (elsmed@bu-pub.bu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 09:45 EDT
From: "G. Watts -- Rochester" <WATTS@urpas>
Subject: Stlewriter and background printing (no can do!)...

Hi y'all,
  Why can't the StyleWriter print in the background?  I don't really know much
about the background printing thing, I guess.  How does it work -- is it
implemented seperately for each driver, or is standard.  What would it take to
make the StyleWriter print in the background?  Will it work in the background
with Apple's new print stuff (to be released some time after 7.0, I guess).
Since the StyleWriter is such a slow printer, it seems like it would benifit
greatly from the ability to print in the background...!

Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: gwatts@rutphy.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 14:48:42 EST
From: sisd!ahc@uunet.uu.net
Subject: SUMMARY: Source Code \ Version Control Systems

>From: Aleck H. Che-Mponda <kodak.COM!sisd!ahc>

I received a total of 2 replies from the Net and talked. I also asked some
individuals from Apple and Palamar the same question.  Most people use Projector.
[What other system comes bundled with your compiler ;-) ?!]

<The text that follows is very long so press the space bar at your own risk>

>I'm looking for any information you may have regarding the management of source
> code on the Macintosh.  I've noticed this topic pops up every couple of months,
> but I've never come across a satisfactory answer.
>
>WHAT IS SOURCE CONTROL:
>
>Background: A source control system will typically store the original file and
>only the subsequent sets of changes to it on disk.
>Features:
>- Mechanism for storing,updating and retrieving any version of a text file.
>- Control access to that file, either locally or across a network.
>- Identify version of retrieved file.
>- maintain a record of changes, why they were made and by whom.
>- The ability to branch to diverge from main releases.
>
>QUESTIONS:
>
>1. What Macintosh source control (SC) programs exist, either commercial or
>'public domain'/shareware/freeware?
>
>2. If you are not using any special Macintosh  SC program then:
>a) how are you handling an environment where multiple programmers are working
>on the same set of code?
>b) How are you handling the release of different software version? What about
> branching, i.e. diverging from the main versions to produce specialized
>versions?
>c) What about a combination of (a) and (b)?
>
>WHAT I (think) I KNOW:
>
>1) Projector Program- This is a program that is bundled with MPW and provides
> a degree of functionality of a source control system.
>
>2) Multiple Copies - I call this the brute force method.  It requires keeping
> complete multiple copies of the software/documentation for each version/
>release.  This quickly becomes unmanageable and wasteful for any reasonably
>sized project especially when you consider question (2c) above.
>
>3) Another computer system's source control facility - I use the source
>control system of a Sun workstation, called SCCS for those who are familiar.
>It provides the features described above. I'm sure it exists, in some form or
>the other, on other UNIX systems.  This is inconvenient since I must use
>Telnet to transfer the files and it tends to be slow for larger projects, not
>to mention that I must be done frequently.  Most of you probably don't
>have access to (or don't want to learn) other systems.
>
>4) ??? <Tell me about your favorite system> ???
>

> *******
> - Tell me about your favorite source code control system?
> - Are you satisfied with it?
***
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Rus Sheptak of Interleaf Inc. wrote: - Che!]

I know your dilema!?  I'm working on a project which has about 90 meg of
uncompiled source.  I currently use projector, but it has its limitations.
If you use long folder names, remember the 32K char. limit on the list
manager.  If your top level project contains more than 32K char. of
subprojects, you won't be able to mount it (the system will hang rather
than doing something graceful).

Port RCS (version 5.? just came across the net).  I know its relatively
straightforward to do as I did it a couple of years ago.  It will work
well as MPW Tools, and has the advantage over Projector of storing its
files in plain text, and only keeping file deltas instead of whole new
versions of the files.

Rus Sheptak
Interleaf, Inc.
Waltham, MA
(rus@hq.ileaf.com or uunet!leafusa!rus)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Michael Peirce of Peirce Software wrote: - Che!]

> WHAT I (think) I KNOW:
>
> 1) Projector Program- This is a program that is bundled with MPW and provides
> a degree of functionality of a source control system.

Well, Projector *is* a source control system.  It works very well
(IMHO) and I have used it a number of times to coordinate a large
project among a large number of programmers.  I've used other systems
on other platforms and Projector measures up quite nicely.

> 2) Multiple Copies - I call this the brute force method...
> ...This quickly becomes unmanageable and wasteful for any
> reasonably sized project especially wheou consider question (2c) above.

Right, this breaks down fast.

A new product (coming soon :-) is Version Master from AaStart Technologies.
It provides version control for non-MPW users.  It works well for non-
programmers who need to control documents (DTP, CAD, Art, etc).  They
have also made some improvements recently to make it a reasonable choice
for source code control for people using the THINK environments (thanks
for telling them that this is needed!).

This product is still is beta, but they can be reached at:

AsStar Technologies
P.O. Box 1100
Littleton, MA 01460
(508) 486-8532
[They're sending me a data sheet and questionnaire. - Che!]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The fellow from Apple says his group uses Projector.
One individual pointed out a problem whereby large files that were
constantly delta'd became corrupted.  They tend to use smaller sized files
now and have a reasonable amount of disk space available.  Noone else has
experienced this problem,though, and I don't know which version fo projector
he was referring to.

I am looking forward to the release of Version Master.  My personal preference
would be to have the source control done on a system that's backed up nightly.
I've put in my order for MPW :-| , but I refuse to give up Think C!  I just want
to evaluate Projector, and use the MPW tools.

Che!
Aleck Che-Mponda		ahc@sisd.kodak.com
Software Engineer		amc4023@cs.rit.edu
Disclaimer: "If Eastman Kodak Co. wanted me to be their spokesman, they would have hired me as such." - Che!; "Read my Lips ..." - George Bush (Ditto)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 01:38:59 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: System 7.0b4 and Deskwriter

Greetings,

  Many thanks for all the replies I received suggesting that Deskwriter 2.1
was the solution to my problems.  Unfortunately, that wasn't quite all.

  It turns out that upon my return from vacation, there was a disk with some
bug fix inits waiting for me.  These three inits patch 7.0b4 to re-enable '030
caching, patch some TE problems, and patch some serial port problems.

  The serial init, in combination with DeskWriter 2.1, seems to work fine.  I
printed a nice long document today, and the DeskWriter handled it just fine.

Thanks again,
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 11:16:11 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu

Greetings again,

  I'm retracting my former statement regarding having fixed the Deskwriter
printing.  I had thought that Apple's serial patch init fixed the problem.  No
such luck.

  I did however, get some mail suggesting that the problem was in the virtual
memory.  This does seem to be the fix.  So, for you DeskWriter owners using
7.0bx, turn off virtual memory if you want to print. (I had inadvertently
turned it off before I left on vacation.  When I returned and installed the
init, and it printed, I attributed the fix to the init, when it was actually
the lack of virtual.....)

  Evidently, this is an HP problem, and they are working on a fix.

Thanks,
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 12:56:27 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Text Editors

>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
In a note dated March 25, Charles E. Bouldin comments on the lack of
maintenance for Qued/M and that he has switched to Vantage.

Just as a cautionary note to others who might be considering Vantage, it may
be in the same position as Qued/M. It is a fine DA text editor, however there
ar e a number of known bugs, and there does not seem to be any effort on the
part of Preferred, the vendor of Vantage, to rectify them. Anyone with AOL
access might want to look at the Vantage folder in Preferred's support (what a
misnomer) forum. I and several other registered users have been flaming
Preferred for problems with the program for several months now -- to date NONE
of us has received any response, nor has Preferred returned any of the calls
I've made to them (Long Distance, by the way. They cancelled their 800 support
number, which is still prominently displayed in their manuals).

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a total flame. I use Vantage and like it, but I
can't print from it on my laser printer because of a bug. I just don't want
someone to go out and buy it without first looking carefully. Out of the
frying pan and into the fire isn't the way to go.

BTW, I'm looking at another shareware editor, called Alpha, which I like a lot
at first look. I'd welcome comments about it.

 Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions, not my employer's.

End of Info-Mac Digest